Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Get Out of Town | Dyrn

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

6rVLoR2.png

Lady Fortan's response was not unexpected, given Dyrn's own had likely been delivered in the same way, with the aim being assurance and confidence. Or perhaps the Supreme Leader really was well, for she had been in situations like it before, and only the Guardsman had felt off afterward. Then Dyrn was treated to some more of Lady Fortan's graciousness, as she expressed she was pleased he hadn't been injured, with the wires being an initial concern. Also fortunately, the Supreme Leader was content to eat, which made the Guard Captain feel immediate repose, since his body demanded energy to remain functioning. With the mention of Natasi's children still likely eating dinner themselves, the Guardsman suspected he would be sent to his quarters or below decks with the other staff, to avoid imposing on the young ones; however, Dyrn was surprised when Lady Fortan invited him to join them, which caused a nod and small smile.

I suppose this is where my high society training becomes useful.

The pair began to walk the corridor of the starship, as they fell into the positions for security almost simultaneously, which gave the Guard Captain a swell of approval for his charge. Lady Fortan was most definitely capable of maintaining composure in any situation which would be a benefit to protecting her. Dyrn walked by his charge's side, and was content to remain silent so as to deal with the situation in their own ways, but it seemed the Supreme Leader wanted to verbalize, which was entirely acceptable and encouraged - it would be far better if they felt comfortable speaking, about anything, as time went on. The Guard Captain listened attentively, as Lady Fortan spoke about the listening device, and to the tone of concern with the words...

"That is both the burst-transmissions greatest strength and greatest weakness, as they are designed to be inactive most of the time to avoid sensors, but are also very unreliable with what little they do collect," Dyrn said in a calm voice, as he glanced to Lady Fortan. He wanted to reassure her, to let her know that the situation likely wasn't as bad as she thought. "If I were to guess, and to assume your previous security team did their job well, the safe was lined with anti-sensor and transmission coatings, your Excellency. So it stands to reason that, despite the use intended, the listening device was probably unable to send much of anything between minimal proximity to your person and being inside a secured safe."

Again, the Supreme Leader had to simply give the command, and it would be done.

"It will be okay, your Majesty. We have protocols for this, and methods to handle it. If you prefer, I can send information to the FOSB and have them conduct tracing routines? They might be able to find the destination of any transmission and determine its importance to pursue further?"

Dyrn smiled, as the pair reached a t-junction in the passageways of the starship. From the layout, the Guardsman knew to the left was the staff area, and the right the main dining room for the Supreme Leader and her children. Lady Fortan turned to face the tall Guard, who in turn did the same and stood straight when addressed and asked his decision on dining location. Part of Dyrn knew he should head to the staff areas, but he couldn't help but want to attend with Lady Fortan and her children. He reasoned it would be a good opportunity to meet her progeny. Dyrn had yet to be face-to-face with the young ones, and it would be prudent to be introduced sooner rather than later - it could mean the difference between one of the children listening to a security order immediately, or hesitating to follow the large stranger in armor.

"It would be an honor to join you, ma'am," Dyrn said with a small bow.

He then followed in Lady Fortan's wake, on her right-hand side, as the pair started down the rightmost hallway and entered the dining area proper. The Guard Captain would remain silent until he was introduced or addressed, though would find a seat appropriate to a mid-level guest, before he stood behind it until Lady Fortan took her own seat...

Natasi Fortan Natasi Fortan

skin, bone, and arrogance

The children fell silent when Natasi entered, Odette the Nanny gently shushing them. Natasi hesitated at the head of the table, placing her hands on the back of the cool metal backrest, and then cleared her throat. "Children, this is Captain Grav," she said, directing their attention towards the Guardsman. "He has been assigned to look after me and he will be with us on this journey. While we're traveling, you must do whatever he tells you, even if I'm not there to repeat the instruction. It's very important that you listen to Captain Grav, as he may not have time to answer questions or explain his requests, but you must still do as he asks. Do you understand?"

The children assented, both regarding the Guardsman with varying degrees of curiosity and veiled suspicion. "He may be wearing a helmet and armor when he's out in the open with us," Natasi went on, "So you'll see that soon to be able to identify him even if he's wearing it." The Vitalis children were, she suspected, rather more equipped at dealing with the unusual and unexplained than most their age, given who their mother was and what had happened to her, and them, since the First Order's initial collapse. This didn't seem to phase them much; their curiosity apparently sated, they returned to their pudding.

"Here you go," said Natasi, reaching for a menu card which she then handed to Grav. The menu was small but had some variety: a little poultry, a little meat, a little fish, some salads and simple sides and desserts, each with a corresponding two-digit code to be entered into the small control panel next to each seat so that the kitchens knew what to prepare and the stewards knew where to deliver it. Natasi pulled her chair out and sat, then entered her choices (green salad with champagne vinaigrette, petite filet of beef, and fruit for dessert) into the small control panel near her place. Grav could do the same on the small panel next to his seat. Natasi reached forward and helped herself to the pitcher of water, pouring a glass for herself and one for Grav before setting the pitcher back in the center.

"It's slightly more utilitarian than we're used to," Natasi confessed to Grav, a slightly apologetic smile crossing her lips. "But it suits us for now." Down the table, Odette gathered the dishes that the children had been using and placed them in the bin for washing, then collected the children themselves -- also for washing. Natasi looked past Grav for a moment to Odette. "I'll come in and say goodnight in a little while. Thank you, Odette."

"Ma'am," said Odette, bobbing a curtsy. "Captain. Good evening."

Natasi watched her go, then sat back in her seat, lost in thought. When Grav had seated himself and ordered, the Supreme Leader said: "At the risk of sounding paranoid, I would like the bureau to take a look at this, only -- " She glanced at the door, then leaned forward, her voice confidential. " -- I'd like to run it through someone I can -- " Her voice fell silent as she realized she was heading for a danger zone, and would likely sound paranoid indeed. She tried again: "Of course, I trust the Bureau, and if they were involved in this I'm sure it was only for the best of intentions. But if they were, I'd rather know about it without them knowing that I know about it. It will keep things from getting awkward with Moff Graham. So, if you agree, I'd like to have this looked at by Sybil Shepard."

The Major The Major was a longtime ally and, Natasi dared to think, a friend. A peculiar woman, to be sure, but reliable and whip-smart. If there was something amiss at the Bureau, then Shepard would be able to tell them.

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

6rVLoR2.png

As the Guard Captain was introduced, his position to the right of the Supreme Leader, he kept his expression pleasant and head lowered somewhat. He was tall by human standards, he knew that, and didn't want to seem imposing or threatening to the children. He listened as Lady Fortan explained in very definitive terms as to what was expected, which was helpful, especially when she added to listen and not question. Sometimes a pause could mean the difference between life and death, and if the Supreme Leader's progeny were able to follow safety commands quickly, without hesitation, it would allow the Royal Guard a better chance to do their duty.

"It is a pleasure to meet you both, George and Reima," The Guardsman bowed his head, a show of respect to his charge's children, and a sign of genuine sincerity. "I look forward to seeing you more, as my duties allow. And if you prefer to call me Dyrn, that is very acceptable with me. Thank you for sharing your table with me this evening."

And then it was time to sit, which the Guardsman did after Lady Fortan, and accepted the menu card as it was offered with a nod and thanks. It looked like quite a large offering was to be had, with a range of options, and it impressed Dyrn that the family had such. It wasn't surprising, he supposed, given their stature in the First Order, but to see it up close and be involved was something of a treat. Compared to the Royal Guard mess hall, this starship dining room was - essentially - fairly extravagant by his standards. When Lady Fortan poured Dyrn a glass of water, he almost reacted with shock, but managed to maintain his composure and looked her way with a smile.

"Thank you, your Majesty."

He then remained silent, as Lady Fortan mentioned the practicality of the dining room on the starship, and how it wasn't quite as decorated or ornate as they were used to. There was a large difference between their lifestyles, it seemed, as the Guardsman had thought the dining area to be quite nice, even if it did lack that decorative flair common in most high society circles. He glanced to the Supreme Leader, gratitude in his expression.

"A well-cooked dinner, comfortable placement, and your hospitality is more than enough, your Majesty," The Guard Captain said in a low tone, as he watched the nanny, Odette, clear the children's places and then usher the progeny out of the room. Dyrn nodded his head as the nanny excused herself, including him. "Ms. Odette." And then smiled at the children, even offering a small wave, as they followed their carer. And then it was the two of them, again, alone and left to whatever conversation was deemed appropriate by the lady-in-charge.

It didn't take Dyrn long to order. He was a simple man when it came to food. His want was protein, so he ordered poultry and vegetables, with little extra on the side. Buttons nearest his seat at the table were pressed, it was a good system that made the dining process straightforward and efficient. However that thought shifted, as Lady Fortan spoke after a thoughtful pause, and informed Dyrn of her want to have the FOSB look into the listening device leads. The Guard Captain nodded, as he half-turned to listen to the instructions, his eyes leveled at the Supreme Leader intently. Whether it was concern for what might have been heard, or the need to know who was responsible, it was not Dyrn's place to question; so, when the Supreme Leader suggested he approach a specific individual, whom she trusted, the Guardsman nodded with full understanding.

"I understand, ma'am," Dyrn said with a nod, as he smiled. He didn't lower or alter his voice, whether others were listening or not, as he continued. "The Bureau is very skilled in these matters, and are integrally trusted by the First Order, yet given the potential delicacy of what might have been heard or transmitted, utilizing a familiar operative makes perfect sense. I will ensure to approach Agent Shepard, as her reputation and skills are known to me also, and I believe as you do that there will be a balance of investigative tenacity and discretion used. An excellent choice of personnel for me to deal with, ma'am, thank you."

The underlying concern was evident to Dyrn, and he would make sure that Lady Fortan was protected from potential blow-back if things got complicated. There were no delusions that the Guard Captain would need to perform a range of things for his charge, and the likelihood of some of those things involving his hands getting dirty was reasonably high, as one might expect when protecting such a high profile individual. Secrets were necessary, scandals were a constant threat, especially if something trivial was twisted into something more sinister. But Dyrn was getting ahead of himself, as he reached for the glass of water and took it in his gloved hand.

"If I might, your Excellency..."

Dyrn reached beneath the table, and pulled out the scanner. He activated the device, and pointed it around the room, of which it was not as large as the personal quarters and thus easier to cover. When he was done after a few moments, the Guard Captain saw the negative result, and nodded as he placed the device on the table and kept it active in radial passive mode. Should any device from that point be turned on, and the room bugged, the scanner would respond with a warning.

"The dining room is safe, ma'am, we are alone and no one is listening."

Natasi rested her elbows on the armrests of the chair and laced her fingers together, watching her Guardsman verify the security of the room.

It hadn't occurred to her to wait. She would need to relearn that diligence and detail.

She looked down at her glass of water, then at her fingernails, and waited for him to complete his task. The truth was that she was starting to feel slightly frayed from the events of the day, from her meeting with Ariel and all the rough emotions that came with that, to the encounter with Delilah Graham, straight through to the security threat. She believed the technical term was knackered. She twisted her wedding ring idly and once they were both settled in and the device was placed on the table to continue its vigilance, she looked apologetically at Grav. "I will get better at this," Natasi said quietly, her voice drawn but still tinged with a note of humor. "You're remarkably patient, and I hope not to trespass upon your patience much longer."

A steward entered from the hallway before she could say more, delivering the plates to each in turn before seeing himself out.

"Feel free to tell me to mind my own business," Natasi prefaced her next battery of questions. "It's probably not. My business, that is," she clarified. "But I am curious about you. I think it's helpful to know the people I'm working with, more than just name, rank and serial number." She picked up her knife and fork and began to nudge the greens of her salad around the plate. She wanted to draw out the question so that he felt comfortable starting to eat before his meal got cold. She suspected that he would defer to her, otherwise. "So, if you don't mind, I'd like to know more about you. Where are you from? What is your family like? Who am I -- and the Guards program -- taking you away from?" She nodded towards the end of the table where the children had been sitting not long ago.

"Do you have any of your own?" she asked. "Children, I mean?"

Natasi lifted a forkful of greens to her mouth and took a delicate bite, carefully maneuvering her cutlery to avoid dripping dressing down herself, then set them down and dabbed her lips with her napkin as she chewed carefully, opening the floor to Grav if he chose to respond rather than telling her to keep her nose out of his business.

She suspected it would be the former.

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

6rVLoR2.png

The Guardsman remained straight-backed in his chair, as he waited on the want of the Supreme Leader. While not uncharacteristic for Dyrn to speak and engage in conversation, he now wanted to present his best self under the circumstances, so he could prove he was able to perform well in similar situations such as with high profile guests. There were certain expectations, one of which involved waiting for your betters to address you before speaking; unless, of course, the table had been opened to general conversation and chitchat. It had not, not in that casual respect, at any rate, so Dyrn remained mindful of his manners and social obligations in his charge's presence.

When Lady Fortan spoke and mentioned how she would get better at the security processes, and how he was patient, the Guard Captain shook his head and replied immediately. "You have been given a lot to absorb in a few hours, and I was also briefed on your meetings for the day, in addition to the device we found, it has been a very long day," Dyrn said as he looked her in the eyes, his expression sincere as he spoke. "You will never strain my patience, in any respect, your Excellency, because it is my pleasure to be near you, in service of you."

The food arrived on the respective plates, which were then placed in front of both lady and guard. It looked and smelled delicious. Still, Dyrn waited for Lady Fortan to begin before he even touched his own utensils. It was also a time for questions, as the Supreme Leader mentioned curiosity and wanting to know more about the individual protecting her. Absolutely fair. So, when Lady Fortan picked up her fork, she asked several questions prior to eating, which was fine as the Guardsman planned to wait on starting regardless.

"I understand completely, knowing more about the guard at your side is perfectly reasonable, your Majesty," Dyrn said with a smile. In truth he had expected the questions to be sooner, but to be fair there had been a lot of stress and potential threat from earlier, so time had been limited on information sharing. "I am from the planet Keshi, a world in the Outer Rim, and lived there for several years before my parents immigrated to Dosunn. My father, Karthen Grav, has been a career soldier for as long as I can remember. He taught me everything I needed to know, to qualify for the Royal Guard program. He is a strict but fair man, though in more recent years he has undergone some complications from his many years of service, both physically and mentally. My mother, Loris Grav, is a house wife that raised myself and my younger sister, Faroe, with a firm but kind hand. She has always imparted strong morals and self-confidence, as well as lessons in always making one's bed in the morning, no matter what."

For a moment Dyrn smiled to himself, before he cleared his throat and went back to answering the questions asked.

"I then enlisted with the First Imperial Army, at eighteen, and served in the Stormtrooper Corps. I was promoted quickly, because of my abilities, thanks to my father's lessons and training. In some ways, I was a career soldier before being a soldier, so I knew what to expect and how to apply what I knew to achieving results. Some thought it unfair, but I only see victory for the First Order as a victory." When Lady Fortan had mentioned the dedication to service and the Guards program, and who he had been taken away from, he chuckled. "I have been dedicated to serving the First Order for most of my life. I once had a long-term girlfriend, but she didn't want to share me with my want to serve, so we parted ways around the time I was accepted into Royal Guard training. So, no, I have no children and my time is spent for you and yours only, ma'am."

Dyrn started to eat a few bites of the poultry from his fork, as he neatly slice portions off the bone with his knife. Once his mouth was empty, he inclined his head and decided to add a bit more, just to add something a little more... personal. Something that was 'him' and not his father's legacy, or his training, or his status as a Guardsman.

"I, uh, do enjoy model making. That is, purchasing kits of moldable plastic and metals, and constructing an object from them. I find the opportunity to focus on creating replicas of starships and space stations to be fun... and also thoroughly uninteresting and perhaps unbecoming of someone like myself. I don't share that with many, they assume I would enjoy hiking or cliff diving or Gundark riding, which I am not opposed to. I just enjoy making something. For me, I suppose."

With a sigh, and a feeling he had overshared, Dyrn looked down to his plate and focused intensely on eating poultry...

The Captain's excuse for her slowed reaction was generous, and his commentary was more generous still. His way of speaking to her felt like something out of old legends: not quite fairytales, but stories of gallant knights and courtly language. In pre-hyperspace Galidraan she could imagine him asking to wear her favor to a joust, or compete for the privilege of escorting her to a cattle show. To Natasi it was a charming display of chivalry, so charming in fact that she almost didn't notice the warmth creeping into her cheeks.

Almost. The realization of it only made it more apparent.

"Well," she said with a slightly abashed smile. "Challenge accepted, I guess." Not that she had any intention of being difficult or deliberately trying Grav's patience. It would have been a hideous thing to do to someone whose job it was to put his life and health between herself and a bullet. Natasi reached for her glass and took a drink of water, then dabbed her lips again. As he proceeded to explain his family history, Natasi continued to work her way through the salad.

To hear that Grav's family had relocated to Dosuun raised a red flag with Natasi. Among all the worlds in the original First Order's reach, Dosuun had both been exalted above all others and suffered the most. A former backwater, the First Order had turned it into a galactic capital, bringing to it wealth and influence that it had never known. But success made it a target, and it had been attacked viciously by the Ssi-Ruuk Imperium not once, but twice, and with catastrophic results: millions dead, countless more missing, lives and livelihoods shattered in the course of hours.

Just thinking about it made her skin crawl.

There was no easy way to ask the follow-up question, but Natasi had to know. "And did your family make it through the Ssi-Ruuk assault and occupation all right?" she asked quietly, her dark eyes darting over to him briefly before looking down at her plate again. For her, Dosuun was personal; its sack represented the largest and most humiliating, most devastating failure in her tenure as Grand Moff. The distraction that had allowed the Imperium to get the jump on the First Order... well, it was her responsibility as Grand Moff of the day to keep them safe, and she had failed. For all the hagiography, the mythology that Ariel employed around Natasi's self-sacrifice at Dosuun to boost her own power, the awful truth was that if Natasi had done her job correctly, the sacrifice would not have been necessary.

It was like her late friend Sioux Chambers used to say: a suck-up doesn't fix a -- well, you know the rest.

His confession around building models was highly endearing, Natasi thought, in spite of -- or perhaps because of -- the nerd-factor. He didn't look the type, but she had no reason to doubt his word. It was fascinating and she wanted to know more, but wanted to give him the opportunity to share how his family had fared during the Ssi-Ruuk occupation, if he was so inclined. Had they suffered? Did they resent the First Order and Natasi for failing to protect them adequately? It was only fair if they did, she acknowledged to herself. If so it only made his choice of career that much more impressive.

Natasi pushed her salad plate to one side and rested her elbows on the table in its place, her body language confirming that he had her full attention.

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

6rVLoR2.png

The food was amazing, all said. Whoever cooked for Lady Fortan knew their business very well, and the Guardsman could honestly admit to never having had better. There had been some kind of subtle spice placed on the vegetables, along with some form of butter, and they all but melted in the mouth. The poultry was cooked perfectly, not dry, or under cooked. It was exactly what Dyrn's body needed, as he could feel the hearty meal feeding his system and giving him back what he had lost to adrenaline. The shake of his hands had stopped, thankfully, and the fatigue had started to pass also. It helped that he had been permitted to sit down, calm down, and take a moment to recover via conversation with the Supreme Leader.

Her mannerisms and voice... Lady Fortan certainly has a calming demeanor.

After his more personable share of information, which included his hobby that could characterize him as a bit of a schmo in military circles - he could imagine some of his old Stormtrooper squad asking if he really played with plastic toys - Dyrn had started to feel a little self-conscious, he supposed. Perhaps it had been incorrect to share that, maybe it took away from the air of strictness and steadfastness the Guard Captain wanted to convey, to reassure his charge that he was molded by training and experience to be everything she needed from him. Thankfully the admission of inner nerdiness was ignored, as Lady Fortan focused on the status of Dyrn's family, what with their living on Dosunn and the subsequent Ssi-Ruuk Imperium attacks and destruction brought on the planet.

Again, it was very considerate of someone the Guardsman had grown to admire.

"Fortunately they survived, yes," Dyrn said with a nod, as he looked to Lady Fortan, a small smile on his face. He thought there was some redness to her cheeks, but didn't dwell on it to avoid being rude being mid-answer. "My father was able to escort my mother to a small family cabin in one of the larger forestry regions away from the capital. It's a place he and I used to go, when it was time to learn or train, and thankfully was in a remote enough location to avoid much of the destruction to the city. My sister, she was off-world at the time, studying on Coruscant in parasitology, a specific branch of microbiology... she was always the more academic of the two of us, but yes her greatest concern at the time was student loans."

It occurred to Dyrn then, that his attempt at humor toward the end of his explanation might have been the wrong approach, especially considering who he spoke to and what Lady Fortan had suffered at the hands of the Ssi-Ruu. He balked, his mouth open, as he turned to face the Supreme Leader and furrowed his brows. "I apologize, your Excellency, I didn't mean to sound so flippant," He said quickly, as he placed his knife down and reached toward her subconsciously with one hand, almost seeking to touch her arm to reinforce his want of sincerity. He paused, and pulled the hand back, feeling foolish. "I... I admit that was what my sister said at the time, when she contacted us, and I found relief in the humor. Especially with everything that happened during that period on Dosunn, the losses and... sacrifices. It was insensitive of me, please forgive me, your Majesty."

The Guard Captain bunched his jaw as he stared down at his plate, disgusted with himself. That was what happened when he tried to use humor, to be affable and comfortable, instead of focused and resolute on his position and mindset. Dyrn controlled his breathing as best he could, though it remained deeper than before as he processed, and also couldn't quite shake the feeling of shame at how haphazardly he had shrugged off the disastrous events. Especially to Natasi Fortan of all people...

You complete and utter fool. Excuse yourself and leave.

"I am deeply sorry. If you wish me to leave, I can do so."

Last edited:

Natasi watched the Guardsman, seeming to unravel over a flip remark about student loans, looking for a moment to make her thoughts known. It wasn't until he offered to leave the room that she held up a hand in a bid to stop the proceedings. "Captain, please," she said firmly, one eyebrow arching, equal parts amused and bemused. "I will let you know when you're being insensitive, and certainly if I want you to leave," said the Supreme Leader. She rested her chin on her palm and studied him for a moment. "If we are to work together, you should know that I am not easily outraged, nor do I require solemnity as a condition of the job."

She sat up straight again, once more picking up her knife and fork, proceeding to tuck into her steak. "If I can be candid: there is something draining about the cult of grief around that whole period. It's one thing to take responsibility and to mourn the dead and celebrate the heroes, but constructing the pathos of the nation around an event like that..." Her voice fell silent and she shrugged, popping a small cut of steak into her mouth. When she had finished chewing and swallowing, she went on: "There is some value in it, rallying people around a shared emotional experience, but the critical point is to give them something to do about it. In some years time will dull the pain of the people who lost someone to the Ssi-Ruuk, and then in some more years they will die, and then what?"

Natasi looked over at Grav as if he had the answer, then gave what was becoming a characteristically apologetic smile. "Forgive me," she said. "I sometimes let myself get carried away. The point is -- what happened was terrible, and we must be vigilant against that kind of threat, but you said nothing inappropriate." She paused to take another sip of water. If only he knew that she routinely dealt with a woman who viewed 'tact' as a four-letter word, he would probably see that she was made of sterner stuff. If Natasi could handle regular meetings with the Grand Moff, his remark was nothing.

She put it to one side and, eager to push beyond a topic of discomfort to her guest, proceeded: "Parasitology, hm? That sounds positively revolting, actually, but fascinating at the same time. Is she still on Coruscant, or has she moved on? I suppose it's too much to hope that she came home and joined the First Order. Irrespective of the propaganda, the First Imperial Medical Service is truly galaxy-class."

The Supreme Leader picked up her knife and fork again. "How did you come to modeling?" she asked, genuinely of interest. "And what do you do with them when they're done? My brother Mathes used to hang model starships from the ceiling of his bedroom with fishing line. He had dozens of them. It drove my mother wild, him putting holes in ceiling plaster that was over a millenia old, but -- " Natasi shrugged. Reima had been dead for over forty years, Mathes had been dead twenty-five years, and the house itself -- holey plaster ceiling and all -- had burned nearly two decades ago. " -- eventually, she got over it."

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

6rVLoR2.png

It was a considerable relief when Lady Fortan held up a hand and explained what had been said had not been insensitive. The last thing the Guard Captain wanted to do was insult his charge, and he had been deeply concerned over how traumatic the events on Dosunn remained for the Supreme Leader, though the flippant remark had been made mere seconds before Dyrn had realized what he said. It was uncommon for him to be so... casual, albeit in his rigid and serious way, yet he still was more comfortable now than he had been in a long time. Lady Fortan's mention of not being easily outraged, and how Dyrn need not be so solemn, was enough to give him reassurance to put the small blunder behind him.

"I didn't want to presume your resilience to those past events, your Majesty, thank you for correcting me," Dyrn said with a smile, as he nodded. He added with a smirk. "Still, I don't believe I'm the one you want for levity... I am definitely not the funny one in my family. That would be my sister, or so she says."

As the Supreme Leader continued to eat after that point, the Guard Captain did the same, as he resumed taking small bites of the poultry on his plate. It seemed there was something else on Lady Fortan's mind, as she spoke and explained her thoughts on the social focus of the Ssi-Ruuk attacks. It likely came about from Dyrn's previous attempt to backpedal from his perceived mistake, but sounded as though the concern stemmed from far deeper thoughts and musings on the topic. It was pleasant to garner some level of understanding to Lady Fortan's thoughts on the Imperium campaign, and was equally interesting with how she saw the event teetering out after some generations, perhaps little more than a faded stain of a memory as years passed. Still, Dyrn felt the question was rhetoric, so he remained silent. Lady Fortan continued, and all but confirmed that nothing inappropriate had been stated.

"Thank you, ma'am," The Guardsman said after he had swallowed some more dinner morsel. He nodded as he looked across the table to Lady Fortan, his eyes bright. "And for what it's worth, I agree. I feel focusing on the disaster caused by the Imperium from a sorrowful point of view, while acceptable and expected for those mourning, it would be more prudent to accept it as a lesson learned and one to never be repeated. A reminder of vigilance, not a proverbial effigy of sorrow."

The topic shifted, as it should have, and Dyrn was questioned about his sister. The implication to recruit her into the First Order, were she not already present, was amusing.

"It is, yes. As I was told by Faroe a number of times, it is the study of parasites, their hosts, and the relationship between them. As a biological discipline, the scope of parasitology is not determined by the organism or environment in question but by their way of life, which I can honestly say sounds like she watches snar-leeches sucking blood all day. But, she is determined to believe it is important, and has dedicated her life to studying microbiology, and I support her." Dyrn said, as he sat up straighter subconsciously. There was some level of pride for his sister's achievements. "And I believe she has one more year remaining before graduating studies, then has plans to return to Dosunn... as far as I'm aware, ma'am."

For another few moments, the Guard Captain focused on his meal, which had little poultry left but some vegetables remaining. It had been a wonderful meal so far, very tasty and filling. Not only that, but the company had been equally as wonderful, as both Supreme Leader and Guardsman took the time to speak candidly and honestly. It was most enjoyable, and--

Oh. Lady Fortan is asking about modeling. I see.

With a small smile, perhaps a mixture of embarrassment and contentment, Dyrn glanced to his charge. She seemed quite interested in the hobby, which caused the Guardsman to become ambivalent about the subject. On one hand, he was a highly trained Royal Guard capable of killing a number of ways... but on the other, he also relished the chance to hunch over a desk and glue plastics together. Still, Dyrn was in no position to deny Lady Fortan anything, so he nodded and swallowed a particularly nice vegetable piece, before he spoke.

"I found the hobby when I was young, I now believe it was a way to rebel against my father's intense lessons during childhood," The Guard Captain said slowly, as he thought about it. He kept his eyes on Lady Fortan, as he spoke, and waited to see how she reacted. "My mother supported it, so I would sometimes use that to get out of a hunting trip, and just spend time doing what a kid should do. But, in time, I actually came to enjoy it. I found the focus and attention to detail something to master, and years later I reached some impressive model grades - which determine how difficult a kit is - and did so. That boyish fascination with models turned into a personal drive to create something for myself, something I could have for me, since my life has been so dedicated to the First Order... and now you."

Dyrn raised his eyebrows and raised a hand. "But, please, don't mistake that for any dissatisfaction for my position, or in serving you, ma'am. It's just turned out to become my one hobby that is disconnected from everything, so I can get lost in the models and not concern myself with anything beyond which part meets another... it's... relaxing. And these days I usually donate the completed models to charities, just to give children something to have and enjoy, though I do keep the best ones for myself, so it's not wholly altruistic."

With a smile, the Guardsman inclined his head. Now it was Lady Fortan's turn. Even though his interest was genuine, Dyrn kept smiling and added a bit of mischievousness to his question.

"And how about yourself, ma'am? Do you have hobbies or activities you enjoy by yourself, perhaps something as equally as embarrassing as a grown adult toying with plastic starships? I would feel far less vulnerable, you see, if we mutually shared hobbyist stories."

He eagerly awaited the answer...

"If there's anything that we can do for Faroe when she returns to the Dosuun, please don't hesitate. It's not nepotism if she's not my sister, after all," said Natasi. "I'm sure the Medical Service or the Ministry of Health would have use for that specific set of skills. The Outer Rim is home to all manner of... diverse lifeforms," she said delicately, then dabbed her lips with her napkin once more as the Captain described his his modeling hobby as an escape from the rigors of childhood training.

Natasi was aware that, for some, rebellion against parental authority was some kind of rite of passage. She had never experienced it for herself in exactly the same way, although her relationship with her surviving parent had its rough patches. What Natasi perceived as her father's willful impotence to enact changes to the Herevan Estate, resulting in its inheritance by a distant cousin rather than Natasi herself, who in addition to having been born and raised there had learned to run it effectively, had put a strain on them in the last months of her father's life before his sudden and unexpected death in a hunting accident.

The discovery that her father had taken up with a local grandee's wife and allegedly fathered Natasi's half-sister Decima Strallan had scandalized her, as well, and Natasi had never fully processed this revelation. The social and sexual indiscretions of the Fortan family were supposed to be limited to the disgraced Fiolette and her offspring. Natasi preferred to believe, as she always had, that her parents and the family line aside from her rebellious aunt were upstanding and in possession of self-control, and so she had never taken steps to prove (or disprove) Decima's parentage.

All this to say that Natasi could understand the impulse to separate one's identity from one's parents, and pursue interests that the older generation didn't care for to forge it.

Natasi finished her steak and set her fork and knife down carefully. He had turned the tables and was now inquiring after her hobbies. There was much she could tell him: that since her reincarnation she had been burdened with a connection to the Force, which she was taking great pains to learn to control and harness, if for no other reason than to shut out the disembodied voice of Sieger Ren that had been whispering in her ear since the day she opened her eyes in the land of the living once more. But she had a feeling that would put a damper on the conversation, and they were having such a nice time.

"Me?" Natasi asked, her eyebrows rising in a reasonable imitation of surprise. "Oh, no, I'm much too glamorous to build models like some kind of -- nerd, I think the term is?" This was delivered in an almost too-dry deadpan, but she couldn't maintain it and the tremor or laughter began before she'd even finished. She covered a laugh with her hand, rocking forward in her chair. It wasn't that funny, really, except that it came at the end of rather a fraught day. After a few moments, she covered her face with her hands and napkin before finally assuming her composure again, with the notable exception of now vividly flushed cheeks and tears tugging at the corner of her eyes. "I'm -- oh, joking, of course. It's not that bad." She took a breath, choked on another laugh, and looked apologetically at her Guardsman. "Sorry, I couldn't resist. As for me?" She cleared her throat and took a drink of water.

"I used to cultivate orchids," she said, canting her head to one side. "The terrace of my office in the Imperial Palace was the perfect environment for it. I could go out and shut the door and leave the work behind for a few minutes and just get my hands dirty." Natasi chuckled and shook her head, remembering that terrace before amending herself: "Or my gardening gloves, at any rate. Beautiful flowers, of course, but it was stupid as a hobby, but it did rather force one to slow down. During the war, there really wasn't time to take deep consideration, so it helped to take a few minutes out to stop looking at screens." I also liked horses. Breeding horses, racing horses, selling horses, buying horses, and -- of course -- riding horses. I guess it's true what they say: you can take the girl out of the muddy Galidraani countryside but you can't take the muddy Galidraani countryside out of the girl."

She nudged her plate out of the way and folded her arms on the edge of the table. "Do you ride? That's where the Horsemen got their nickname, incidentally," said the Supreme Leader. "They had to be reprogrammed to be able to escort me on horseback. It's rather a good workout, actually, especially riding sidesaddle. If you don't, I'd be happy to teach you. Call it payment in kind for the self-defense skills I hope you'll show me." She raised an eyebrow, an enigmatic smile crossing her lips. "Naturally, you don't have to ride sidesaddle, of course."

Last edited:
ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

6rVLoR2.png

The Supreme Leader's offer to assist Faroe was generous, though Dyrn knew it wasn't completely without benefit to the First Order, either. He accepted that, it wasn't a problem at all, in fact it made sense to seek out and recruit specialists as they were available. Anything that could help further the efforts of the First Order were good choices, as far as the Guardsman was concerned, and should his sister join the Medical Service or Ministry of Health, they would be improved all the more for her involvement. In some ways Dyrn envied his sibling, in that she had been given opportunity to decide what she wanted to be, because her older brother had shown natural aptitude for a future life of violence like their father had. That wasn't to say Faroe was untrained, far from it, she just ended up seeking a more intellectual career. Dyrn was still content with his vocation, however. His accomplishments were different, but no less important...

"Thank you, your Majesty, I will make sure to mention that there are options open for her on Dosunn," The Guard Captain said with a nod of appreciation. He also smirked at the nepotism remark. "Ideally, if it's possible, I would request she not be presented to black site development projects, ma'am... Faroe is optimistic and wants to help the galaxy, so developing those sorts of things wouldn't suit her. I'm not implying you would agree to that, but I know how callous - ruthless, even - those in charge of such areas can be."

With a position in the Royal Guard came a number of clearances. And it was logical to research data that could have serious repercussions or fallback on the Supreme Leader, so as her protection, Dyrn would be able to be in front of potential threats or undesired situations. As it was, some of the old projects had been eye-openers, but the Guardsman wasn't so shortsighted as to think a military intensive Government wouldn't have some skeletons out of sight. Still, if Dyrn could have Faroe to avoid that path, all the better, though if Lady Fortan disagreed... then that would be that.

Nerd.

The word snapped Dyrn back to the conversation, as he blinked at Lady Fortan. For a moment, the Guardsman wasn't sure if he was being insulted, or if his charge now viewed him as a nerd, or if... then Lady Fortan started to laugh, quite earnestly, and for a few seconds Dyrn watched her rock back in the chair. His own smile began to creep across his lips, as the Guard Captain smirked, then grinned, and finally let out his own chuckled laughter. It was actually kind of amusing, and it also gave him a good insight into Lady Fortan's capabilities with hiding her emotions, as her poker face was quite impressive. He also saw another side to her, a brief moment of judgment-free happiness, and it warmed him. Dyrn knew if he got to see Lady Fortan laugh like that again, cheeks flushed and tears in her eyes, he would truly enjoy sharing that moment.

"No need to apologize, your Majesty, I'm yours to command," The Guardsman chuckled, before he smirked and added. "Even if you order me to be the butt of your jokes. I am kidding, ma'am, of course."

It was a good moment. One to remember. But then composure was regained, and the Supreme Leader began to explain her own hobby, which involved cultivating flowers. Orchids, specifically. It seemed the pair had similar methods for utilizing their personal activities, which was to retreat into them and escape for a few moments in time, before coming back to the reality of the galaxy. Obviously that wasn't exclusive to them, and a lot of sentients did the same with a multitude of hobbies, but it was endearing to think that both had a similar interest; the only difference was that, instead of smoothing plastic pieces, she was clipping stems. And then there were the horses, which Dyrn admitted he knew next-to-nothing about, save for what he had read in a dossier that had been about Lady Fortan's life. Then his conversation partner had paused, to lean on the table with folded arms, and went on to ask if Dyrn rode...

"Ma'am, I can say truthfully that my experience and knowledge of horses is less than nothing, and that I haven't heard that phrase about muddy Galidraaani before," The Guard Captain said, as he finished his own meal and placed his utensils on the plate neatly. He grabbed a napkin and wiped his face, before he placed that on the plate also. "I haven't learned to ride, no, nor have I actually been near a horse. I've seen holo-pics, of course, but not up close in person. I'm not quite sure what sidesaddle is, but I can guess? And if you would like to instruct me in horse riding, as I train you in self-defense, I consider that fair and gladly accept."

Dyrn brightened as he raised his eyebrows.

"It might also give you more reason to go riding, having to teach your guard how to. Oh, and allow me, your Majesty..."

The tall Guardsman stood up and reached for the used plates, as he piled them neatly and started to walk over to the same deposit bin that Ms. Odette had used earlier. Were the scraps separated, Dyrn did that, before he finished cleaning away the used items and turned to walk back to the table. He paused for a moment, eyes narrowed, as he glanced to the scanner... it had started to flash red on the screen, though the volume had been turned down to avoid giving away the passive scanning mode.

Someone just activated a listening device.

Without a word, Dyrn circled the table and stepped close to Lady Fortan. He placed a hand on her shoulder, as he raised the other to his mouth and pressed his index finger to his lips - the universal sign of quiet - before he motioned to the scanner. He reached out and picked it up, before he changed some settings and activated directional mode. It would take some moments to localize the frequencies in use, so all that remained was to stall until then...

"So you mentioned your orchids, your Excellency," The Guard Captain said in a tone much the same as the conversations had been. He remained beside Lady Fortan, within arms reach, just in case. He started to process the potential suspects, sifting through the staff personnel and seeing if initial theories fit. "Did you find they bloomed well? I've always wondered about the lifecycle of that particular flower..."

Meanwhile, Dyrn used his free hand to type a message on his datapad, which he leaned over to show Lady Fortan:

[ Neutral, non-critical conversation until scanner completes frequency sifting. Follow my lead, stay close to me when we move. ]

Natasi was already recalling the riding routes on the estate at Herevan. Along the river will probably be safe, she reasoned. But probably getting up to the ridge will be difficult for a novice this time of year. Still, it would be a shame not to show Herevan from that view, it's quite something. Perhaps if it's been dry... She lost herself in the possibilities for a few moments, nodding her thanks as he collected the disused dishes. "There are special saddles for women because there was a time when it was considered immodest for women to wear pants in public and particularly in sport. For my homeworld that attitude was prevalent much later than you'd think," she explained. "It has two pommels... sort of like brackets. You put your leg over one and under the other and you really need to grasp it quite firmly in order to keep yourself firmly seated when you're moving at speed and especially when jumping. Naturally one wouldn't have that problem with a leg on either side. But in any event, the stables at Herevan are well stocked enough that we can surely find something that would suit."

There was a subtle change, and it took Natasi a moment to realize it was the scanner on the table. By the time she'd come to that conclusion, Grav was at her side, signaling for her to be silent. She complied, her lips compressing into a worried white line. The drawbacks of traveling commercial, she mused, her brow furrowing. He asked about orchids, and for once Natasi was swift on the uptake. Keep the conversation moving. Don't let them know that you know.

"Not all varieties were suited to the climate," said Natasi. "Avalonia is quite cool overall as a climate, and some of the more tropical varieties require temperatures between around twenty-three and twenty-nine. Obviously Avalonia reaches the low range of that in its summer, but temperature isn't enough. They'd be accustomed to a level of humidity that just can't be efficiently replicated in Avalonia's climate without an enclosed area, like a greenhouse. I suspect the Supreme Leader would have had had strenuous objections if I'd tried to build on of those on the terrace. It may have been my office, but it was still his palace."

To Natasi, the joke rang hollow. In different circumstances, it might have been amusing. She took the data from her guard, studying it as she went on: "But the species that worked did fairly well as long as its strenuous demands were met. Not unlike myself, orchids generally tend to be slim, demanding, and highly strung. There was a delicate balance required: water, but not too much water; fertilizer, but not too much fertilizer; a few degrees too high or too low and you'd have a dying plant." She handed the datapad back to him and nodded, preparing to stand and move at his direction. "It was more trouble than it was worth, I think, but as I said it was helpful to force me away from my desk for a little while, at least." Natasi looked warily at her guard, which gave her carefree voice a rather peculiar contrast.

"I'll show you the greenhouse when we get to Herevan, if there are any that survived the winter."

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

6rVLoR2.png

The Guardsman's eyes remained fixated on the scanning device, as he watched the screen pulse with readings and shifting bandwidths. When Lady Fortan began to explain more about sidesaddles, Dyrn nodded silently as he glanced toward her, a knowing look in his eye - she knew exactly what to do. Ironically, Dyrn was interested in listening to what the Supreme Leader had to say about the horses, because it was clearly important to her and that meant it would become important to him, but he also had his responsibilities to handle. Still, the Guardsman had enough mental agility to be able to take in portions between watching the surrounding doorways and scanner, so he could at least reply and keep up the pretense of a conversation for whomever had started to listen.

"Both legs on one side? That sounds even more challenging," Dyrn said in a low tone, as he slowly moved around the right side of the table. He motioned for Lady Fortan to stay in place. "That does sound interesting, your Excellency. I hope to see it one day, maybe even soon."

When he was near the staff entry to the dining room, Dyrn reached out and activated the lock on the wall panel. He wanted to limit points that someone might enter, as he slowly and silently moved back toward his charge, and resumed his position beside her - to the right. Lady Fortan had started to speak about the orchids, and was doing very well at keeping the conversation 'normal', while the Guardsman maneuvered his way around. Around the time that the greenhouse consideration was mentioned, the scanner screen shifted and gave a frequency direction, which was immediately to their left...

"I can imagine spreading flora across walls might have not been to everyone's tastes, ma'am," Dyrn said as he firmly grasped Lady Fortan's shoulder and moved her in a rotation, so the tall bodyguard was between her and the bugged wall in question. Just in case. Despite the situation, Dyrn caught the joke she made about herself compared to orchids, and chuckled, as the datapad was passed back. "It sounds like a complex hobby, your Majesty, but if anyone can tame such a demanding plant, I'm certain it's you. And I would enjoy seeing the greenhouse, your Excellency, yes."

Now was the time to move. Dyrn gathered the scanner, and began to move along the table edge with Lady Fortan physically blocked by his towering form, as they made for the dining room exit - the same door they had entered prior. "Oh, ma'am, speaking of seeing places, if we could visit your office and discuss the Royal Guard dossier, I can outline some security details for later use? With the children prepared for bed, it seems ideal to discuss the more important protocols with our full attention, your Excellency."

Dyrn waited for the permission he knew would come, and no sooner had the words left Lady Fortan's mouth, than the pair were through the door and moving along the corridor. Hand still holding Natasi's shoulder, the Guardsman physically moved her at a quicker pace, as he paused at the t-junction to peer around the corner quickly - nothing - then proceeded with the Supreme Leader close beside him. It didn't take long to arrive at the office again, as Dyrn pushed through the door and quickly sidestepped to get Lady Fortan out of the line of sight of the corridor.

"I'm gathering my armor momentarily, please stand close to it." He whispered, since the scanner had gone dark, indicating the listening device was only against the dining room wall. That meant they likely had a few moments to prepare. "I'm closing the door, then we wait."

Casually, the Guardsman stepped into the doorway, as he peered out. His pupils began to ripple, as the blue shifted to more orange near his irises, with his visual ranges shifting. There wasn't much to be seen through the thick hull walls, but he suspected the discussion about the 'security details' would be too fine an opportunity to pass up. Dyrn closed the doors to the office, then quickly turned and rushed over to the armor against the table; and with honed skill from hundreds of hours of practice, he slipped into the modular pieces with ease, before he grabbed the helmet and looked to Lady Fortan.

"When I move, please get behind your desk and keep low. No one will get into this office through me, I promise you."

Then Dyrn lifted the helmet and slid it into place over his head. The seal locked around his neck, and then the Guard Captain reached down to his utility belt and removed a smooth silver cylinder, about the length of a forearm; then, with a press of a concealed activator, the cylinder rapidly expanded into a long spear with two pointed ends, almost as tall as the Royal Guard himself. With quiet footsteps, Dyrn approached the doors, then stood against the wall, with the scanner active in passive mode once again...

"Of course," said the Supreme Leader plainly. "I had forgotten we said we'd return to that in all the excitement. Let's take care of that."

Natasi was hustled through the ship with great efficiency by the Guardsman. The hand on her shoulder was large, the grip firm. It could have easily felt like a yoke, but he treated her with as much respect and gentleness as urgency and direction. The Supreme Leader had never been handled by a member of her security before; she had never been in a position to require it, she gathered. Her heartbeat drummed in her chest as she was moved this way and that. She looked Dyrn directly in the eyes when he gave his instructions and after; the bizarre rippling of his irises was almost captivating as he utilized all the skills he possessed in addressing the threat.

Without question, she followed his instructions. Look at me, she thought sardonically, I'm learning.

Only hours ago, Natasi would have insisted that she had no need for another layer of security. She had gotten along thus far without a royal guard, and no one had killed her yet. It seemed like that may have been sheer dumb luck rather than anything that the Horsemen were doing. She felt reasonably safe in the company of Grav; she couldn't foresee anyone on board being able to get through him. Even if the HRDs could be tampered with -- and she didn't quite believe it -- she doubted they could match the Captain in his armor.

But ships were dangerous things. If someone's goal was to eliminate her and her bloodline, the easiest way to do that would be to destroy the ship that carried the entire living Fortan legacy. But why? she had to wonder. Surely the First Order had no enemies in its current iteration, not when it was so intent upon maintaining cordial relationships with the rest of the galaxy. But there were always madmen, she supposed, bent on destruction and gaining notoriety by means of assassination. Whoever was posing a threat might not be trying to get through Grav. They could be trying to get through the doors to the reactor.

They moved again, Natasi once more doing as she was bid and crouching behind the sturdy desk that was bolted to the deckplates in the office.

Or, she reminded herself (rather ridiculously given that she was crouched behind the desk), it could be a more innocuous occurrence. But better to be safe than to be sorry. The Supreme Leader, feeling neither Supreme nor particularly an effective Leader as she cowered, peered over the top of the desk, her eyebrows furrowing curiously, her dark eyes narrowing intently. She could barely see anything, nothing beyond her bodyguard's bold form and what looked like a weapon growing in his hand.

She ached to ask what was going on, but she dared not speak. Her heart pounded and she tried to keep her breathing under control. Surely a hysterical woman hyperventilating behind him would not be terribly helpful right about now. Natasi shifted her weight, leaning against the filing cabinet for support as she tried to get a better look without exposing herself to more danger than was strictly speaking necessary.

One thing was for sure; whoever had been in charge of running security for this trip was going to be having some uncomfortable conversations.

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

6rVLoR2.png

The Guardsman's eyes remained fixated on the scanning device, as he watched the screen pulse with readings and shifting bandwidths. When Lady Fortan began to explain more about sidesaddles, Dyrn nodded silently as he glanced toward her, a knowing look in his eye - she knew exactly what to do. With Lady Fortan behind the desk, the Guardsman just had to wait. He knew, without a doubt, that whoever was trying to spy would slither their way toward the office, unable to resist the more clandestine information on offer.

Quietly, Dyrn reached down for his comm, raised it to his mouth and spoke in a low voice through the helmet vocalizer. <"Ms. Odette, lockdown the children, quietly. No one in or out until I give permission. Captain Grav out."> He wanted the children to be safe, secured, and protected just in case it wasn't a singular assailant. The last thing Lady Fortan needed was to be worried about her loved ones in another part of the vessel, where she couldn't reach them without passing the threat onboard.

Then, with little else to do, the Guard Captain glanced down to the scanner, bright eyes alert for change, and waited...

And waited...

And waited some more...

Dyrn looked to Lady Fortan, to check on her and to ensure she remained secure, and noted how the Supreme Leader peeked. If not for the situation it would have been amusing, but at that moment the atmosphere was anything but frivolous. Then the scanner activated, as the screen lit up. It was clear, even before the frequency process had completed, that the listening device was outside the office. Dyrn dropped the scanner, as he spun the spear into a combat position, and activated his helmet displays - on the other side of the wall behind him was a thermal signature...

<"Stay down.">

With a burst of speed, the Guardsman opened the door and rounded the corner, his cloak billowing in his wake as he disappeared from Lady Fortan's view. The outer corridor was filled with a startled shout, a smash of metal, then silence...

From around the corner, Dyrn stepped into the doorway, an unconscious form held at his side by the collar. The alien was smaller than the Keshian, and not exactly a familiar individual, at least not one of the Supreme Leader's staff or entourage. As the spear in the Guardsman's other hand collapsed back down to the small cylinder, he put it back on his belt, before he stepped into the room and dropped the individual. He crouched beside the alien, a Bothan no less, and searched the pockets and sentient for weapons or further threats. There were none. Just the listening device that had been collected from a small vent space near the hull and wall of the office.

<"No weapons, just the bug,"> Dyrn said through his helmet, before he turned the dark lenses toward Lady Fortan. <"If I recall, this is one of the starship crew. The co-pilot. I'll need to determine his purpose once he wakes, so I recommend he be secured in the storage bay so we can interrogate him on regaining consciousness.">

There had been no other nearby life-forms present from the helmet scans performed, and everyone else was where they were meant to be, so it was logical to assume for the moment that the Bothan had been alone in spying efforts. Still, the Guardsman remained vigilant and kept alert, as he motioned to the chair behind Lady Fortan's desk with a gloved finger.

<"Can you bring the chair, Lady Fortan? I'll use restraints and we can prepare for the questioning.">

With little seeming effort, Dyrn picked up the unconscious alien, and hefted him over one shoulder. Then the Royal Guard turned and started out the office, down the hallway and to the storage bay doors. They opened as he approached, to which he stepped inside and waited for the Supreme Leader to arrive...

Natasi ducked back below the desk at Grav's instruction, suppressing the indignation she might have otherwise felt at being snapped at. It was her job in situations like this to take instruction, so she did. She heard the door open, and a commotion in the hallway, her dark eyes squeezing shut at the sound of close, personal violence just out of the room. The seconds seemed to stretch. The sound of footsteps and breathing didn't help matters; it wasn't until Grav spoke again that she knew he had been successful. She maneuvered to a crouch, peering over the top of the desk before straightening. She tugged her rumpled blazer into place and smoothed her trousers self-consciously.

A Bothan with no weapons. So not an assassin. Probably. A spy -- but for whom? Did the Galactic Alliance still employ Bothan spymasters? The Sith? The Confederacy of Independent Systems currently administered Bothawui -- could it be a Confederacy plant? Natasi's mind raced with these questions and more. Grav had his hypotheses, that he thought the spy might be the co-pilot of the ship; Natasi didn't remember meeting him, usually one of the Horsemen handled the administrative details like this.

"I'll authorize you for master access on this computer," said Natasi, indicating the terminal on the desk. "We should have access to all the personnel files of the staff on board -- that's standard procedure for the Horsemen."

Natasi glanced regretfully at the chair that Grav requested; it was rather a nice chair, with plush, tufted leather and polished brass hardware. Too nice, Natasi felt, for a spy's interrogation, but she supposed that after this she would not be charged a cleaning fee, so she agreed readily and followed him out of the office, rolling the chair in front of her towards the storage room which, she noted, was going to be the scene of all matter of drama on this vessel.

Everything else seemed to be quiet, and when reaching out into the Force, she could feel the stable presences of George and Reima, so Natasi was not terribly concerned about the safety of the children. But she would, to be sure, look in on them before she turned in herself. Children were perceptive, she knew, so she wanted to reassure them. But to business, first, she noted as she rolled the chair in after Grav. "How long do you suppose he'll be -- unconscious?" she asked anxiously, eyes widening.

If mother could see me now, Natasi thought warily. It was quite outside the norm to have a spy tied up in her storage room. It was all quite irregular.

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

6rVLoR2.png

There were a number of ways to go about an interrogation. Dyrn was trained in most of them. There was the path of violence and pain; the path of understanding and reassurance; the path of cunning and manipulation; or even the path of torture and mutilation. Needless to say, the latter was one of the furthest from the Guard Captain's wheelhouses as could be, though the others remained good options depending on the individual in question. The best method for getting answers truly remained with the individual being interrogated. Sentients responded differently, they each had unique aspects that caused all manner of reactions, and it was the interrogator's task to find that weakness. Though, for now, the Bothan was still, as Dyrn looked down at the alien through his helmet lenses.

Behind came the sound of wheels on floor panel, and then Lady Fortan moved into view as the chair was situated in the storage bay. The Guardsman looked to the Supreme Leader, a wry smile under his helmet, as he spoke through the vocalizer. <"It's hard to say, ma'am. I hit him quite hard, in case he was a lethal threat, but I have some equipment that can shorten the waiting period if need be."> Dyrn reached out for the chair and wheeled it around in front of him, as he nodded to his charge. <"Thank you. I'll bind him now. Please remain behind me, just in case, if you intend to stay, your Majesty.">

The Guard Captain reached down and lifted the Bothan, before he rolled the unconscious sentient onto the seat, which Dyrn admitted looked very richly made. As the Bothan sat there, eyes closed, mouth open somewhat, the man in armor produced some syntherope from his utility belt and then started to wrap up the spy. He made sure to double-knot, as well as isolate each limb and then connected a wrist to a leg with some of the rope, so as to make movement even less possible.

<"While we wait, I'll look through the crew data, ma'am,"> Dyrn said as he stepped back and stood near Lady Fortan. He had his datapad out by that point, as he accessed the terminal through some passcodes. He wouldn't risk leaving the Bothan alone. The terminal data began to show on the datapad, as Dyrn flicked through to what he needed. <"Hm. Yes, our Bothan friend is a crew member, the co-pilot of the vessel. He's been in that position for several years, so the likelihood of this being a deep-cover spy aimed to get to you is minimal... that would require an impossible capacity for pre-planning and there are too many random variables for it to logically connect.">

With Lady Fortan beside him, and being shorter, Dyrn leaned down a bit to allow her a view of the screen if she wished to look.

<"If I had to guess, my initial theory is that we've stumbled onto a curious sentient who saw the potential to find something and possibly sell it. Whether it was a personal secret or a Governmental one. It also seems likely he's acting alone, since I've been monitoring life-form signatures and comm frequencies, and there has been no check-in or noise made... typically a partner would have made contact by now, to see how the operation was going.">

The Guard Captain looked back to Lady Fortan, as he inclined his head, the helmet shifting to one side. <"Before F'zoza Bazzi wakes up, I'm going to sift through his personal data, to see if there's already some connection. Holo-calls, acquaintances, that kind of thing. It stands to reason this might be a good time, while we wait, to see to your children, your Excellency? If not, we can work through the data together, two heads being better than one.">

The Supreme Leader stepped behind her bodyguard as he worked, staying in the wake of his armored form. When he had finished tying the man up, Natasi peeked around Grav's form and studied his handiwork. It looked fairly effective; the Bothan wasn't leaving the chair, and the chair wouldn't be able to roll over the bulkhead between the storage room and the hallway. She nodded her approval and, feeling like she could relax for a moment, she leaned against the open bulkhead door, folding her arms over her trim midsection.

"Agreed," said Natasi, concurring with his conclusion as she examined the screen he showed her. "This charter was booked under a pseudonym, although the company is well-regarded among -- if you'll forgive me sounding immodest -- wealthy celebrities, high-powered executives, and the social elite. So perhaps this is merely happenstance. They'd have no way of knowing until I came aboard who the client was. Unless," she said, her eyebrows furrowing thoughtfully, knitting together with concern. "Unless there was someone on the inside -- in my office or the household of someone on Galidraan who I told I was coming. It's unlikely to me, but -- I suppose stranger things have happened."

The Supreme Leader turned and paced away from him a moment, down the corridor a few steps before turning around and coming back to the doorway. She listened to the rest of his analysis and gave him a fatigued smile. "As much fun as that sounds, I really ought to look in on the children. I might take the opportunity to splash some water on my face as well. I'll ask Banks to stay with me until I come back." Natasi effectuated this by using her datapad to summon Banks who, in short order, appeared in the hallway. "I won't be long," Natasi promised Grav before making her way down the corridor.

Natasi informed Odette about the situation and, while reassuring her that things appeared to be under control asked her to maintain an elevated security protocol before slipping into the childrens' room. Reima, bless her, was asleep already, so Natasi merely kissed her forehead. George, sensitive child that he was, sensed that there was something afoot. Natasi tried to reassure him and promised that as far as she knew, there was nothing to be worried about. She reminded him that he should follow the instructions given by Odette and Captain Grav and that he would be fine. She knelt by his bed and read from the book he was currently enjoying: a sensationalized story based on the travelogue of a famous Galdiraani explorer, until his eyelids were too heavy to stay open. She stayed silent and still for a few moments, then sighed softly and stood up, replacing the book on the side table.

Natasi took a quick dip in the sanishower in lieu of the aforementioned splash of water, then loosely braided her hair and dressed in a fresh pair of slacks and a jumper, slipped on a pair of comfortable boat shoes, and went back down to the storage room with Banks. About twenty minutes had elapsed since she had left. "Did you solve the case yet?" Natasi asked as she came to a halt outside the room, giving Dyrn Grav Dyrn Grav a good humored but drawn smile to indicate that she was, in fact, not expecting him to have solved the problem in the brief time they had been apart. She couldn't tell whether F'zoza Bazzi was alert or not from where she stood, but she didn't want to venture further without an invitation from Grav indicating it would be safe for her to do so.
DAc3GdD.png

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

6rVLoR2.png

While the pair looked over the datapad screen, the Guardsman listened to Lady Fortan's explanation about the vessel charter. He nodded, as she went on to explain that it was usually used by a swath of wealthy individuals and groups, before more curious predictions took her toward internal threats. Dyrn shook his head as he glanced back to Natasi. The Supreme Leader had walked over toward the entryway, as she thought. At least she remained a distance from the Bothan, which minimalized the risk to her person.

<"While it is possible your office or household may try something similar in the future, ma'am, I think it's less likely in this instance. I will find out for you, you have my word."> Dyrn said with a nod of his helmeted head. Then when Lady Fortan said she would go to check on the children, and that Banks would be with her for the duration, the Guardsman accepted that as satisfactory protection for the situation. <"Yes, your Excellency, I will be here until you return.">

Then, with Lady Fortan departing, Dyrn turned his attentions back to the Bothan restrained on the chair. Something had come to the Guard Captain's mind, as he had listened to his charge, and he wanted to check into it before waking the alien. A few quick swipes on the datapad and some holonet searches were performed, as the Guardsman thought to himself and wondered...

<"Time to wake up, Mr. Bazzi,"> Dyrn said as he slipped the datapad back into the wrist-mount of his gauntlet. He stepped forward and reached out a finger, to poke the Bothan in the middle of the forehead. There was no reaction. <"Hm."> Again, another poke, and again no reaction. So, with a sigh from the vocalizer, the Guard Captain reached down to a belt pouch and sorted through his medkit; he found a small tube, which he cracked the top from, then held it beneath the snout-like nose of the Bothan, wafting it back and forth...

"Wh--? Huh?!"

<"Welcome back, Mr. Bazzi.">

"W-what happened?"

<"You have been detained attempting to spy on the Supreme Leader of the First Order, Mr. Bazzi... and it's my job to find out why.">

"O-oh. I didn't do anything, I was performing routine checks of the ship and you attacked me!"

<"So you say. How this goes, depends on you... shall we begin?">

The Bothan gulped, as the looming Royal Guard stepped forward, all intimidation and broadness and armor plating, as the storage bay doors closed with a hiss and clang...

FO_spacer_thin.png

When the Supreme Leader's question was heard outside the closed doors to the storage bay. And as those doors opened, and Lady Fortan was able to see inside, dressed in her more casual attire, there was a scene for her to see:

Dyrn stood beside the Bothan, who also stood next to the tall sentient in armor, but was otherwise held firmly in place by a gloved hand on the shoulder. The chair was clearly no longer in use, nor was there any evidence of rough treatment or damage to the alien himself, as he looked down and refused to make eye contact with Lady Fortan. The Guardsman cleared his throat, before his dark lenses turned to regard the casually dressed leader in the doorway.

<"I have, your Excellency,"> The Guard Captain said simply, as he stepped the Bothan forward and tightened his grip on the alien's shoulder. <"When we spoke about the charter, and who used it, I was able to approach the interrogation from another angle, once I had confirmed a few things... explain to her Majesty, Mr. Bazzi.">

"Y-yes, sir," The Bothan nodded as he remained hunched and averted his eyes. "I apologize, your Majesty. I-I have spied in the past, on other clients, some of them very well known in the galaxy..." He started, though whether he was ashamed because of the acts or because he was caught, who could say. Dyrn encouraged his continuing with a squeeze. "And I try to find, well, anything I can by recording with my bugs. Then if I get fortunate, and they share something, uh, vital, I then sell that information to whatever holo-tabloid wants to pay the most... I don't mean to hurt anyon--"

<"That's enough, Mr. Bazzi,"> Dyrn said in a low tone, his patience thin. The helmet turned to regard Lady Fortan. <"I looked into who had chartered the vessel, as well as correlations to celebrity secrets being revealed by anonymous sources, and there were a few immediate timeframes that fit. Once I brought this to Mr. Bazzi's attention, he relented quite quickly and admitted to spying for profit.">

From further down the corridor, the pilot of the starship appeared, as Mr. Chamberlain approached the group. He had another crew member with him, and both of them looked incredibly agitated...

<"Would your Majesty care to speak with the pilot about the situation? Or would you like me to, ma'am?">

Natasi felt her jaw tighten in irritation as she learned of the tale that the Bothan was telling, a quiet fury growing within her. Her gaze went from molten chocolate to frozen mud in the span of a moment, and her fingers clenched together. "What is it, exactly, you were hoping to find, Mr. Bazzi?" Natasi asked coolly. She began to pace slowly before him. "Top-secret military plans? In which case you would be guilty of espionage -- a crime that carries with it serious consequences if convicted. I hate to disappoint you, but I am not in possession of any top-secret military plans today." She turned once she reached the wall, pacing the opposite direction now.

"Or perhaps you hoped to uncover some embarrassing dirt on me, to sell to the tabloids or to blackmail me to prevent that, hm?" She glanced sidelong at the Bothan, her eyebrows furrowing. "Unlike you, I have endeavored to live my life in a way that places me above blackmail. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience." She stopped and stared at him. "Perhaps you wanted to get a snap of me in an unflattering light. Here I am, Mr. Bazzi, no makeup and no sleep for twenty hours. You won't get a better chance than now." She spread her hands broadly. "No?"

The Supreme Leader placed her hands behind her back, clasping them together in a white-knuckled grip, and approached the Bothan, as near as her bodyguard would allow. Her voice was cold now, and quiet. "I certainly hope your plan wasn't to try and record my children. My children, Mr. Bazzi, who by the way are eight and five. What could they possibly have to say that would be of interest to anyone except as a way to embarrass and humiliate them, or me, or both? They are my children, and I -- I will -- " She flexed her fingers, her eyes narrowing intently, and Natasi felt a ripple at her fingertips. She fell silent and closed her hand around it, then turned, her face suddenly a mask of anxiety that she tried to pass as impatience and disgust. She tried to avoid Grav's eyes until she could be assured of her own composure.

The Captain approached. Natasi didn't answer at first, instead glowering at the deckplates. Chamberlain looked at her expectantly, but she ignored him coldly, instead finally turning to Grav. "I will leave this in your capable hands, Captain." She gave one last withering glance at Bazzi. "See to it that this man is restrained. If there's no brig on board, he can be tied up in the storage locker until we arrive. I assume the captain won't protest once he's been informed of the situation. Please find me in the office when you're finished here."

The Supreme Leader felt the tension and rage dissipate the further she got from Bazzi, her heart rate returning to normal. She couldn't get away fast enough, but she forced herself to maintain a regular pace. Don't panic, she told herself, even while another voice's harsh laughter emerged from the dark recesses of her mind. Goooood, it cooed at her seductively. Your anger, your hatred, it makes us strong. You should have struck him down there and then. Only then can you claim to be a Supreme Leader worth anything. Natasi reached into the Force, drawing on it the strength she needed to banish the voice. But tonight, it wasn't enough. It only quieted it to a murmur.

Should Dyrn Grav Dyrn Grav enter the office, he would find Natasi (robbed of the use of her desk) on the sofa near the viewport, the mottled light of hyperspace casting a soothing glow over the papers from her red dispatch box as she worked through them, pen in one hand. She had her shoes off and her legs tucked under her frame, with the throw blanket from the back of the sofa over her legs. The boxes were rather light today, but plenty still had to be assented to before she could allow herself to rest. She had ordered a tea and it sat steaming on the table next to her. Banks sat placidly in a chair by the door, in apparently a low-powered state. She wasn't even blinking.

Natasi put pen to paper and scrawled NRI on the page where indicated. Natasi Regina Imperatrix.

What a bloody joke.

DAc3GdD.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom