Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Garden of Eden

The Jedi were an unapologetically meticulous race. The first of many lessons she’d been subject to during her time in the temple confines.

Stepping foot onto one of the many temple gardens only reaffirmed that lesson ten-fold. It was like a sample platter of the galaxy, crafted by pious engineers of the force. The serenity of it all was jarring to say the least. So far-removed from the urban sprawl from whence she came that it almost made her skin itch. As if she were a fish on dry land.

And in a way she knew that was more than an apt analogy.

The monastic life was certainly a hard sell when it was first dangled over her head. It almost felt exploitative, like a carrot on a string while she was otherwise starving. Yet, whatever reservations she harbored towards the Jedi were undercut to a degree by her time in their presence. They’d given her free room and board after all, and how could she forget freedom. Still, she couldn't shake the feeling of ambivalence that seemed to stalk her. As if she'd been baited into the jaws of some overzealous cult. Not that it mattered. This whole thing was non-committal anyway. If she felt the need, she could drop whatever shaky foundation she'd built in past months and slip back into the depths of the undercity undetected. She’d proven pretty good at that in the past, so why break tradition?

Keeping her mounting anticipation at bay, the kid settled by a fountain, listening to the water lap up against the rounded base. Any minute now, she was set to meet Valery Noble, a name she’d heard dropped a generous amount of times in passing. Sword of the Jedi? Yeah, that sounded remotely important. Enough to warrant some anxiety. But she kept her body language conditioned, refusing to let any underlying emotion surface as she bided her time.

Valery Noble Valery Noble

Last edited:

nW8SqbL.jpg

NJO Temple
div-orange.png
Outfit: Factory Link
Appearance: Link
Weapons:
Lightsaber
Tag: Cinjay Saito Cinjay Saito

After a series of long, challenging, and especially tiring assignments, Valery had been looking forward to returning to the Temple. It allowed her some time away from the war and gave her the opportunity to meet with her own Padawans, students who had no Master and focus on training and offering guidance to those who wanted or needed it. Without these breaks between leading and fighting at the frontlines, she wouldn't know how to get through it all.

Today was the fifth day after her return, and she had scheduled something else for it, but something quite important — a new student had arrived at the Temple and she hadn't gotten the opportunity to meet her yet. From briefly skimming through records, she had learned the young woman's name, but not much else. She always preferred not to dig too deep into paperwork and get to know someone face-to-face, so they had agreed to meet in the gardens.

Once Valery entered, she offered a quick smile to a group of younglings who were meditating together but moved on rather quickly towards the fountain where Cinjay Saito Cinjay Saito was waiting for her.

"Padawan Saito?" Valery asked, her voice calm and kind. "I'm Master Noble, it's a pleasure to finally meet you." As per usual, Valery dipped her upper body into a respectful bow and offered a warm, welcoming smile. So far away from the war, there was no need for an intense focus or a battle-hardened stare. She wanted the Jedi around her to feel comfortable with her, as it helped her lead and guide them when necessary.

"I'm not quite sure how long you've already been staying here, but I trust there haven't been any issues?"

Her vigilance hadn't been in vain, sensing the Jedi Master approach a moment before she made her formal introduction.

"Master Noble-"

Despite being blind, the smile from Valery was more than apparent to Cin. And by extension, so was her concentrated effort to be welcoming. Tranquility seemed to orbit around Valery just as easily as it took root in the surrounding garden. And while that proved to be endlessly fascinating, her attention was swiftly directed elsewhere.

Padawan Saito-

It felt almost uncanny to hear herself referred to as such. Formalities weren't her typical MO, just one of many other adjustments to pile on. But admittedly it seemed to have its place. Especially considering who of all people was addressing her.

Struggling to gauge the appropriate amount of etiquette to extend, she fell back on her habit of shapeshifting. Mirroring Valery's nod with her own carefully crafted civility. "None that I can think to mention-'' The lie rolled off her tongue with more ease than anticipated. Sure there was plenty to complain about. But any source of contention stemmed from her own self-doubt, something Valery was likely already intent on dispelling.

"Thank you-" The girl cleared her throat, focusing back on the conversation, "I mean, for taking the time to meet with me. I assume you have something planned?"

Last edited:

nW8SqbL.jpg

NJO Temple
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsaber

"I'm glad to hear it," Valery responded with a lingering smile.

She had a feeling that there were at least some barriers that made settling in more difficult, but that was a very natural thing, so she felt no need to pry. Unlike the days of the Old Republic that she came from herself, most Jedi these days started their training older. It meant Jedi were consciously leaving behind a life they were familiar with in favor of the Jedi life, which typically wasn't the easiest adjustment to make.

But with time and experience, she would be able to figure out if this was the right place for her to be.

"It's my pleasure. It can be difficult with the pace our Order is growing at, but I like to familiarize myself with all of our Jedi. Especially Padawans who might need some guidance or training," Valery explained to segway into answering Cinjay's question as well. "I was planning on bringing you along for a mission so we can work together."

"Nothing too dangerous, but you might learn something new and you can ask me anything you'd like as well."
She then paused for a moment and glanced down towards the Padawan's belt.

"I do have one question. Have you constructed a lightsaber already? Or at least learned enough to use one safely?"

Tags: Valery Noble Valery Noble
Appearance: x

Cin reeled back a look of surprise. A mission?

Of course, missions were an inevitable facet of Jedi life. But to think Valery Noble would divert time from her maelstrom of obligations just to be bogged down by some Padawan learner was- oddly sacrificial.

Yeah- that’d be-” The girl paused, dropping her previous statement as a small self-deprecating chuckle formed under her breath, “I definitely think I could benefit from that. What are the parameters?”

Valery then posed another question, to which Cin shook her head. An itch of inadequacy creeping up once again. “I uh- No, I haven’t. But I have a decent grasp from training.”

I won’t struggle. Those were the words she wanted to say, to ice out any vulnerability Valery might’ve already picked on. Ever since joining the Jedi ranks, she’d felt the relentless need to prove herself. A hunger that hadn’t died down.

Last edited:

nW8SqbL.jpg

NJO Temple
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsaber

Valery could tell that Cinjay was surprised about joining her on a mission, but it didn't bother her, nor did it stop the Padawan from accepting the offer. The experience would be valuable and Valery figured that sitting around at the Temple all day could get a bit stale as well. "We'll be going to Voss to look into some villagers disappearing without a trace. It happened in a town near the nightmare lands, so it could be connected to that."

It wasn't the safest mission she could have chosen, but with the planet being located in allied territory, it was likely not going to be overly dangerous either.

"We'll talk to the locals and try to figure out what happened. Hopefully, we can bring those people back as well," Valery then added before she removed one of her two lightsabers from her belt and offered it. "I don't think we're going to need them, but I'd like you to take this one for this mission. Just to be safe."

"Once we're there or during the tip, I can explain more about Voss and the nightmare lands as well. It's quite an interesting planet with different views on the Force. Not necessarily relevant for the mission, but it never hurts to learn."
She offered a brief smile and looked over her shoulder, in the direction of the small Temple hangar.

"If you're ready, we can depart. But if you need to get anything or prepare something first, please do so."

Voss.

Outer Rim.

Something akin to recognition ghosted her eyes, to which she wrestled down a grimace. Unlike the vast majority of her peers, her childhood hadn’t been spent pouring over the greater geography of the known galaxy. And as such she half expected Valery to drag her off to some nondescript inner world well within the safety net of the Alliance.

Not that she would’ve been exactly thrilled by that alternative.

But Outer Rim territories? She had something of a history there. One she preferred not to relive.

“I’m familiar with Voss.” The Padawan dipped her head, burying her misgivings far beneath her inflection. There was hardly time to dwell on them. But apparently still enough to let the slightest edge seep into her voice. “I trust it’ll be interesting.” Before her expression could darken another shade, Valery brandished a lightsaber, loaning the hilt to the young Padawan much to her surprise. Before she could scrounge up a proper thank you, Master Noble motioned to the hangar, offering Cin a last-minute check on inventory.

“I pack light.” The girl waved the offer, instead jumping to levy out her burning questions as they moved to the transport. “Are there any leads on the back burner? Or maybe some pattern linking the disappeared? I know there’s a significant population of mystics on Voss, they could be susceptible to some extent.” That is, if the nightmare lands are truly the root cause. Her eyes dropped to the hangar floor in debate before returning to Valery, “You mentioned they have a certain perspective on the force. What do you suppose the locals will make of our presence?” Jedi weren’t universally well received after all.

Last edited:

Val_and_Aldrics_ship.jpg

NJO Temple
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsaber

Beyond expressing her familiarity with the planet, Cinjay didn't say much about how or why she knew of Voss. It wasn't necessarily important, but the shift Valery felt through the Force made it seem like there was something to it that couldn't entirely be ignored. However, this was not the right time or place to pry, so she simply offered her lightsaber and continued to guide their mission forward.

"There is very little information. The only pattern we've found so far is that they all disappeared at night and that they're all from the same town." She looked at Cinjay to confirm something again, "The town closest to the nightmare lands. That isn't to say that it's the cause of it all because they've lived there for many years without these problems. But the nightmares lands have been a source of trouble in the past."

The two then entered the Hangar, where Valery continued the path towards her own ship — a light freighter she used especially for longer journeys. A trip to Voss, a planet in the outer rim, definitely was a lot more comfortable in a ship of this size. "The mystics use the Force to receive and interpret visions, which they use to guide their people. It's not too different from the Jedi Seers, but they are... not interested in the opinions of outsiders."

"They've historically wanted to remain neutral but the war has shifted opinions to some extent. The locals won't be a problem for us but I don't think they will be overly welcoming either. Not until we bring their people back home."

Inside the ship, Valery was quick to guide the young Padawan to the cockpit, where she could be seated in the co-pilot chair, while Valery sat down as pilot and began the routine of pre-flight checks. "My idea was to either start at the village itself or first see the Mystics. Perhaps they've seen something in their visions already that can help us take a step forward. What do you think?" She asked to challenge Cinjay into thinking along when it came to solving the problem.

Appearance:
x
gwsgewagf.png

Entering the cockpit, she shadowed Valery to the co-pilot chair trying her best to focus in on the objective at hand instead of letting her senses roam free. Ships of this caliber were a novelty to her as well as something of a minor inconvenience. With hardly any organic life to ground her senses she was only anchored to Valery's presence. And more than anything else she hated that level of reliance.

"If they're seen as some sort of figurehead to these people, we should try and get an in with the Mystics first." She tossed out her answer, trying to appeal with an edge of diplomacy. There was a want to impress- childish maybe, but failing to meet expectations was certainly a worse sin.

Sliding into her seat Cin continued her measure, "If we can win their trust, by extension the locals will probably follow suit- be more vocal with their information."

Val_and_Aldrics_ship.jpg

NJO Temple
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsaber

"Mhmm," Valery hummed in agreement, "They're of course aware that we were coming in the first place, but perhaps we can get some assistance." The Voss Mystics weren't always the easiest to work with, and visions of the future especially were inherently vague, but every little bit would help them. As far as she knew, there weren't a lot of leads, so even a starting point would save them a lot of time.

And time was likely what those who disappeared didn't have much of.

"The trip to Voss will still take a while, so feel free to rest or meditate a little. If you have anything you want to ask or talk about, just let me know," Valery offered with a warm smile before she took off, swiftly brought the ship up through the atmosphere, and cleared from the planet's gravitational field. Within a minute, they would initiate their jump to Hyperspace and the auto-pilot would handle the rest until they reached their destination.

Somewhere along the way, however, Valery did make sure to approach the Padawan within the cockpit again because she had something to discuss herself, "Before we arrive, have you learned how to shield your mind already? Force sensitives have some natural defenses but powerful Dark Side sources can easily penetrate those and attempt to manipulate you. The Nightmare lands are full of creatures that have been twisted and turned by it, so I want to make sure you can be safely near that place."

Luckily, it wasn't too difficult to learn the basics of Thought Shield if she hadn't already, but Valery was also there to shield her if necessary. She just preferred to use opportunities like this to teach something out in the field, where it was immediately clear how useful a skill could be.

Appearance:
x
gwsgewagf.png

“Shield my mind?” The girl echoed Valery’s words with an air of cautious amazement. Her understanding of the force was by all means primitive, raw instinct functioning as her sole compass for as long as she’d been cognizant of her abilities. The suggestion she could more or less resist its eternal pull was definitely something to chew on.

Baby steps.

The girl shifted, meeting Valery with renewed interest, “No- I haven’t. Is that something you can teach me within the span of however long we have left to go? Or at least enough to where I’m not a total liability.” A small exhale of amusement punctuated the jab. Maybe the prospect of your mind being probed by the dark side was not one to take lightly, but Cin preferred a semblance of control over the situation.

If her mental fortitude proved too flimsy, she’d be at the complete and utter expense of the Nightmare lands. Or God-forbid a burden to Valery. While the Senior master would no doubt swoop in if need be, Cin wasn’t typically the trusting kind. Her life needed to be squarely in her own hands without the slightest whiff of codependency.

Last edited:

Val_and_Aldrics_ship.jpg

Valery's Ship
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsaber

"That's right," Valery confirmed before addressing the follow-up question. "The basics are something I can teach you now, along the way. It's an extension of something you already have naturally, so it's typically not too difficult to grasp. But that said, it's very important to never believe that you're immune to influences of the Dark Side," she stressed.

"Even if you have years of practice and experience, a variety of circumstances can make you more vulnerable to people or even corrupted objects attempting to manipulate or torture your mind. It's a very sinister thing, and sometimes you don't realize it until it's too late." Realizing that all of this sounded quite dark, Valery attempted to lighten the mood again with a gentle smile and some more reassuring words. "The Nightmare lands aren't that dangerous, though. You have to stay focused but I'm confident that you can be close to them or even inside."

"But should something unexpected happen, I'll be there to assist." Of course, Valery still hoped that they wouldn't have to go into the Nightmare Lands at all, but it was a possibility, so she wanted to be as prepared as they could be. The most crucial step in that was offering Cinjay this lesson.

"As for how it works, Thought Shield is an ability that draws on the Force that flows through you, thereby making it a Control ability. Naturally, the Force acts as a shield for you already to keep you protected, but practitioners of the Dark Side are often skilled in penetrating those barriers, so you must reinforce them."

"The easy part is focusing inwards and reinforcing that shield... the hard part is maintaining it passively for the duration of a mission, and withstanding someone trying to force their way through. So, let's start with the easy part and try to form that barrier. I'll then lightly put it to the test with your permission."

Appearance:
x
gwsgewagf.png
The slightest pang of dread twisted her stomach, although Cin did her best to keep it from her expression. Her childhood had more or less been encompassed by the exact dark influences Valery so fervently spoke of. And the knowledge she was mentally susceptible to such was no easy pill to swallow. How was she expected to fight if her opponent wasn't exactly tangible.

Burying that revelation, she kept any grievances to herself. She'd learn to flush out the corruption through sheer willpower if need be. After all, Valery was offering to teach her exactly how.

Mentally she recoiled at the thought of letting anyone access her mind. Especially someone who she trusted knew their way around the human psyche. That kind of vulnerability was unprecedented. And her eyes said as much, a clouded haze of deliberation scanning Valery's face for any deception.

As the Master concluded her lecture Cin lifted her head a degree. She'd come to the Jedi with the explicit intent of learning to hone her ability. This was simply the cost.

"Ok-" The girl dipped her head in terse agreement, closing her eyes in some loose attempt to focus. While her ability to meditate was rather shoddy, the force still embodied her senses with a clarity that always caught her off-guard. Briefly acknowledging Valery's presence, she centered in on her own, already on the defense.

"Ready when you are-"

Val_and_Aldrics_ship.jpg

Valery's Ship
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsaber

"You have my word that I will not push too far or access memories," Valery said after Cinjay gave her the signal that she was ready to begin. Jedi only accessed the minds of others for Telepathy and occasionally for Mind tricks if a situation required it. But they did not manipulate, torture, or break privacy by reading thoughts or exposing memories. It was a hard rule that Valery wasn't going to break for practicing mental shielding either, but it wasn't necessary.

All she needed to do was test the barrier.

So as Cinjay focused to create it, Valery reached out with her mind to form a bridge that spanned the gap between her mind and Cinjay's. It was similar to how a telepathic connection was formed, but this time, Cinjay had been tasked to keep her out, and Valery began to push against those barriers. It wasn't a comfortable feeling and required the Padawan to focus and persevere through that discomfort, but it also wasn't nearly as aggressive as what Sith or corrupted entities could do.

"Keep resisting it..." Valery muttered, as she gradually increased the intensity of her mental 'assault'. Should the barriers break, Valery was ready to immediately cease her efforts, but if she managed to keep her out, Valery wouldn't go beyond scratching at the surface of her mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom