Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Galactic Alliance: Building Blocks

Now this was a balancing act of writer, so bear with me, it could get messy. But anyway, Coren nodded at Asahara with a grin. “Trust me, we’ll be having a lot ahead of us for everyone to get their fair share of kills. I think Rook is out doing me by about two dozen right now.” He grinned and nodded to the Dread Guard. One of the best to have on his team, though he would enjoy seeing more coming out of Velin. She had the spark for it, and that was something the Alliance desperately needed and seemed to recruit, people with guts and a need to prove their worth. It would be a strong force to be reckoned with, once they got on their feet, the Alliance.

And should Coren ever take Sibby out for a drink, one, he knew where he’d end up, home, alone. Or calling Spark Finn, to see what she was up to, but still, a battle of wits and sarcasm with the TK Crazy? That was always a fun time. “Very good to hear.” He nodded to Kerrigan and looked at the group, weapons manufacturer, a builder, himself and two greenhorns, even if one, Coren knew, wasn’t so green.

Super green.

“That’s why I’ve brought both you and Judah here, Kerrigan.” He nodded. “You’re a weapons manufacturer, and I’ve been hearing murmurs that Judah’s been working hard on making Sullust a bit more habitable. Think you two could work together? Put something nice for our military to survive down? Asahara and Rook are here to provide a bit of insight, we’ve got old hands, but a bit of fresh-air in our construction designs never hurts.” The Commander surveyed the group assembled.

[member="Asahara Velin"]
[member="Rook"]
[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"]
[member="Judah Dashiell"]

[member="Coren Starchaser"] | [member="Rook"] | [member="Siobhan Kerrigan"] | [member="Asahara Velin"]

"Miss Kerrigan and I currently work together, I sub contract out her company to run security at all of my locations. We're often involved on weekly business calls together. I won't have a problem working with her, especially since she has the weapons knowledge. Sort of important when one is making a military base I suppose."

Judah had already been to Sullust, poked around a little. Sensors had picked up all he needed for heat readings and the like. Now it would come down to getting on the surface, checking out existing cities and the like to get ideas.

"Research and development has already produced something ideal for your military base, a ceramic fused brick that resists lava. I'm extremely excited to put it to the test and I think it will do well for what you have in mind for your military complex. I'm sure you all have ideas of what you'd care to see."

[member="Coren Starchaser"], [member="Judah Dashiell"], [member="Rook"] [member="Asahara Velin"]

Siobhan listened to what was being said and then nodded since everyone was being reasonable and stuff. This writer has just gotten up and as such is not feeling very witty right now. "Agreed. Our companies work well together and we can gladly do so here. I have several designs that could be integrated and aid with fortifying the place, depending on what sort of military compley you want."

Planetary turbolaser cannons everywhere! She cocked her head slightly as Judah spoke. "That ceramic fused brick does sound very interesting. I think it'll work well here and I'd like to see it in tested," she said brightly.

After al, it would suck if someone say used space magic to cause a lava flood and lots of people in the base got fried. She far preferred working with people she was familiar with and knew Shaggy was competent. "If you want to reinforce walls, blast doors or critical structures in certain areas against attacks, we can provide quantities of Graphite Reinforced Durasteel via ARGH."

If Coren found himself a bit dry on ideas, then Rook would compensate. If not, then there was probably going to be a lot of one talking over the other. That was the nature of these things. It had been quite sometime since Rook was allowed to help construct anything of relatively important, and Sullust was a playground for the imagination.

Lava forts everywhere. Big imported lava monsters patrolling the citadel of a massive TACOPS center. Soldiers jousting on the backs of Lava Fleas in the middle of a volcanic lake. So many possibilities!

"Whatever headquarters we design should be further underground," he paused, "Mister Dashiell, those bricks of yours -- how well do they work?" Another pause, "Not to imply your engineers are inept, of course. We've run into some issues expanding -- you detonate the rock below to make room for further settlement, and it floods the chamber with lava. The Sullustans have to navigate certain tunnels to avoid volcanic lakes. One of our bigger issues right now is setting up any kind of dedicated airfield. What hangers we have are deep underground and can only host a few ships at a time. Building on the surface is costly, and a biosphere is fragile under fire."

Of course the Jedi don't understand that. They wanted something pretty.

"Would your bricks be applicable in surrounding an underground airfield of sorts? I'm sure we could come up with some way for the fighters to launch from it without issue."

[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"], [member="Judah Dashiell"], [member="Coren Starchaser"], [member="Asahara Velin"]

[member="Rook"] | @Coren Starcahser | [member="Siobhan Kerrigan"] | [member="Asahara Velin"]

"You've run into issues expanding because you're doing it wrong."

This wasn't a normal approach Judah took. However, this man seemed to be overly blunt. If there was going to be progress in getting through to the man, he would have to adapt. He would hate to waste everyone's time going in circles, trying to explain the idea of how the underground buildings were actually going to work.

"We won't just be able to blast through rock, thats why your chambers keep filling up with lava. We're going to have to map the lava, blast underground pools downstream so to speak, and drain everything away from where we want to build. Even then, miners are going to have to carefully dig so we can control the environment better."

"An airfield is doable. The bricks aren't actually bricks in a true sense. They are more for keeping lava at bay and burning everyone alive. We'll build the airfield underground with duracrete and durasteel, with the ahi bricks on the outside, roughly two or three deep for safety sake."

"As for the base itself, it will be wise to put the most critical areas underground. A kilometer or so, minimum."

Starchaser was a pilot, a ship-based person, he needed to be in the sky. Building a base on the ground? That was clearly against his religion. Not that he really had a religion, just went out, stopped the evil in the galaxy on a sliding scale of evil, and made sure the galaxy was safe. Construction jobs, and establishing a base, that was all new to him. Still, [member="Judah Dashiell"] had ideas, and that was good. At least two of the larger contractors had a connection to one another.

“Good. And I’d like to see the results of your new brick. Sullust is a bit of a challenge to build on. Its great to see you and your teams are ready for this.” He bit his lip as he listened to the two business minded folk. “I’d like to see the results of this test, but I’d also hate to waste your time, as most of what you’re on about is a whole engineering degree away from me.” He grinned as he looked to [member="Rook"]

“But that airfield, we can use a shielded launch tube, and probably a mag-lev launching system, get them up to speed and fire them straight from the caldera…” That sort of thing he knew well.

[member="Coren Starchaser"], [member="Judah Dashiell"], [member="Rook"]

Siobha was sort of at the edge of the conversation as the three talked about the pros and cons of the new brick Judah had talked about to keep everyone from getting cooked by lava. It did sound nice to her though. If Firemane decided to build an underground facility somewhere in a volcanic area she'd give Judah a call about it.

"This is the first time I've heard of the new brick, but Mr. Dashiell has done excellent work before, so I'm confident it'll live up to his word," she added after Judah had said his piece in response to Rook. There, supporting her buddy, she was being nice for a change. Not that she minded the Force Dead soldier's bluntness. She preferred it to people pussying around all the time. Anyhow, she nodded after Coren had spoken.

"Sounds good. I can provide Firemane's Graphite Reinforced Durasteel as a materiel for the airfield since it's sturdier and tougher than common durasteel. Same for critical areas in the base underground." Like reactor. command centre and stuff.

"Have you got an idea of what defence systems you'd like to instal? Sullust is dotted with volcanoes, but surveys show mountains that are not volcanic. We can set up shop planetary turbolaser cannons there and conceal them, along with mining the few passes. There's also missile turrets we have designed to shoot down fast craft such as fighters with homing missiles. In theory the place should be rather easy to defend because it's not like anyone can land on lava." Never mind the fact that Sullust was characterised by storms and a rather toxic atmosphere, though of course such factors often got handwaved and reduced to mere background noise.

Blunt was easy. Blunt was good. Rook could work with blunt. "Makes sense. Not a lot of these folks are particularly experienced with what they're doing. A lot of idealistic kids that wanted to be soldiers and didn't make the cut. We've got a few foremen, but no one with much talent." Except for me, of course. "If you could perhaps ship in some people with a bit more experience, Mister Dashiell, it'd speed things along. I'm sure the commander won't mind paying a few extra credits for transportation." He smiled at Coren.

"Sounds like a plan, Starboy. I can round up some of the folks we'll need if you can give me a few hours. As for materials --" He fell silent, and looked toward the two business folk. Rook's job here was to make sure the little guys did their jobs, and provide a little bit of insight. How everything was going to be done lay on their shoulder. As Corin said, he and Rook were the blue collar folks here.

"You're correct, Miss Kerrigan. For every volcano you've got two or three relatively safe mountains, if you don't count all the others things Sullust tries to kill us with," he shrugged, "The cannons will certainly be of help. We'll need to reinforce parts of the upper crust that lay above population centers below, if at all possible. The Sith have a bit of a fetish for orbital bombardment. You mention anything with the word 'proton' in it and they start humping their command chairs."

[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"], [member="Coren Starchaser"], [member="Judah Dashiell"]

[member="Coren Starchaser"] | [member="Siobhan Kerrigan"] | @Rook

"You can rest assured Mr. Starchaser that I have no intention of burning us all alive. You're more than welcomed to see the bricks with your eyes, throw them in the lava if you like. I'll personally send you a crate to send through the wringer. As Miss Kerrigan stated, I only make products that are of quality."

Mountains seemed like an excellent idea. Perhaps a hangar located inside? It would make sense, letting the Galactic Alliance push their more critical operations deep underground. It was something to think about. It was also one of those things he would have to see with his own eyes. For the engineers and scientists to look over as well.

"I only hire qualified people, you can sleep easy knowing you won't have to babysit any of my workers.Ever."

Coren had deal with Kerrigan long enough to know to trust her instinct. What she did was make good deals, and as the Alliance was paying, he was trusting her, and that meant trusting Dashiell. It’d work, the man did seem competent enough, and had that old fighter jock hand to him. Looking to the group, he grinned. “I feel like we’ve got a deal. Kerrigan, I know your products and companies from the old Sanctum days, and Dashiell, I think I remember seeing your name on Frontiers Corps desk once or twice. Good names all around. Good products too.”

From tests and what he recalled by word of mouth for Kerrigan and Dashiell, respectively. “I’d say we’re in business together. And as Rook says, yeah, we’d rather the better folks, even it transit and board costs more.” This brought an easy laugh to the Corellian.

“Since we’re all double timing here, Rook, if you’re game, you can help manage work crews while our business folk go speak to the Alliance engineering teams, to get their permits, clearances and reimbursements. We’re not on the clock yet, but better sooner than later. Anyone have any more specifics to discuss?”

[member="Judah Dashiell"]
[member="Rook"]

[member="Coren Starchaser"], [member="Judah Dashiell"], [member="Rook"]

Siobhan pondered for a brief moment whether she should suggest setting up a 'Literacy Module' or a Shrine of Ardarvia in the base. After all, education was very important and as a member of the noble Order of the Torch, it was her duty to spread the Word. Then she thought better of it, for such proselitysing could easily cause complications. Besides, the Galactic Alliance was non-religious and stuff.

So she shook her head, since this writer has finally gotten around to belatedly posting something. "Nothing more on my end. I'd say we're in business," she said smoothly. In addition to helping set up the base, Firemane would also initiate mining operations because apparently the volcanic hothouse was rich in minerals. Yay for more fake money!

[member="Coren Starchaser"] | [member="Siobhan Kerrigan"] | [member="Rook"]

There wasn't much left to say at the moment. This was the point where he would have to get to work and prove himself. If that meant digging down and making the best base these folks had ever laid eyes on, so be it. It was going to be something of a mild learning curve, Salacia would have to hire different engineers. Get some folks used to working the dirt.

"Nothing more to say on my end."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom