Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

From the Past to the Present: Chapter 1

From a very young age, Kian Karr had been trained in the ways of the force....first among the Baran Do, then among the Jedi. He had learned to control his emotions, to be the calm in the center of the storm, to be the harmony amidst the chaos....and yet he was nervous. He felt like a child again as the ship raced through hyperspace toward Dorin.

Kian was going home.

When Kian left Dorin to begin his training among the Baran Do, there had been nothing keeping him on Dorin. His mother, the only family he'd ever really known, had died and with her all the binds that held him to the planet. Or at least that is what he believed....but going home now, he felt something he hadn't focused on in some time. He felt a longing to walk the dusky surface of Dorin.

More importantly than that, he was nervous about how his friends [member="Corvus Raaf"] and [member="Kana Truden"] would find his home. It wasn't a planet that was typically visited, as non-Kel Dors had to wear breathing apparatuses on the surface in order to breath in Dorin's atmosphere. But they had agreed to go.

And there was something else drawing Kian home.....something he'd never shared with another. A secret he'd kept since leaving his homeworld.....a secret that would have to be revealed, eventually.

Soon the vessel would leave hyperspace and the twin black holes of Dorin would come into view. It was a magnificent sight and he was eager to see how his friends would feel looking upon it. Kian rose from his seat in his quarters and made his way out to the cockpit, where he was sure his friends were finishing up the final diagnostics. Flying to Dorin was a bit tricky given the black holes and Kian had left it up to the others to handle it....as he wasn't much of a pilot. As he walked toward the cockpit he ran a hand over his anti-ox mask and smiled. He would finally be able to take this off, at least for a little while.

Corvus knew Jedi Lore. Which was like saying Kian Karr had a dry sense of humour or Kana Truden knew how to slice.

So the prospect of travelling to the birthplace of the second most famous Kel Dor that history knew of fascinated her. She’d never seen the planet – but had visited it once, in one of Kian’s memories. It felt odd now she reflected on it – it was as if it was one of her memories now. Such were the vagaries of the mind

Corvus let Kana fly them there. As she was probably the better pilot and actually seemed to enjoy the process, it seemed logical. Corvus meanwhile felt that flying is what droids were invented for. To be fair she’d had proper combat training courtesy of the Republic’s navy but she piloted only when it was necessary.

The navcomp told them they were about to exit hyperspace and Corvus both sensed and heard Kian heading to the cockpit. For him, it was a real homecoming.

[member="Kian Karr"] | [member="Kana Truden"]

“Inertia dampeners… Check. Life support… Check, thank the force.” Kana continued her check up on the systems in silence. “Everything is looking pretty good, right Corvus?”

She threw the girl a quick glance before she happily went back to making sure the systems remained in order. Which they were, of course, but a pilot’s duty to make sure was never ever finished when it came to their ever constant struggle to keep check on things. Kana mimed the countdown for when they were going to exit hyper space.

‘3... 2... 1... Bam!’

“And there we… Woah.” Was that two black holes? “Is that two…?”

She looked over the systems again, some readings were a bit off but other than that it all seemed good for now. That was just it though, for now. Who knew what these things could do to the ship?

“Some readings are off but everything else seems to be in order.” She looked to Corvus and then Kian. “We’re good to go.”

[ [member="Kian Karr"] | [member="Corvus Raaf"] ]

Kian entered the cockpit just in time to see the ship exit hyperspace. As the viewport cleared and returned to normal space, Kian's smile broadened beneath his mask at the two black holes that Dorin was nestled between. It was a beautiful and scary sight. The light of the stars condensed down to an almost vast brightness before fading into pitch black as the light crossed over the event horizon of the two black holes. And there, in the middle, safely far enough away from both black holes, was Dorin.

"Welcome to Dorin." Kian said to [member="Corvus Raaf"] and [member="Kana Truden"], his voice almost a whisper. Kian leaned past Kana and punched in a series of coordinates.

"Follow those trajectories down." Kian said, "if we deviate too much from them, the pull of the black holes will make it a bit of a bumpy ride." Kian said and he settled into the co-pilot seat, entering in the landing coordinates as well as the security codes authorizing their landing, then he sat back and watched as Kana brought the ship down to the planets surface.

When the broke through the atmosphere of Dorin, Kian felt a swelling in his chest. The planet wasn't much to look at to some, but Kian could see the beauty of it. The planet was dark, seemingly in a state of perpetual dusk, and the ground was dusty. Little life flourished on Dorin, with the exception of the Kel Dor and a few plants. Glancing at the console, Kian was relieved to see that the display had no storm warnings issued. Kian had prewarned Kana and Corvus that Dorin was renown for the violent storms that often wracked the planet and that they would have to seek cover if the alarms sounded.

Once the ship settled down, Kian rose up and turned to the others.

"You will want to get your oxygen masks on." Kian said, "Once the airlock is open the security forces will check the vessel and then clear us for entry into the city. You can survive in our atmosphere....at least for a little while....but I don't think you'll enjoy the experience." Kian said smiling beneath his mask, and knowing that soon it will be a smile that his friends will see.

Corvus allowed Kana to continue to take the lead as they landed - in one piece!

Whilst Kana completed the docking procedures, Corvus did as Kian suggested and grabbed a couple of breathing masks, one for herself and one for Kana. She was sure she could feel the anticipation in the Kel Dor's voice as he spoke to them. She wondered what it was like to revisit yor home world after so long away - and she hoped he felt more for his homecoming than she would.

And despite her shared memory, she'd never visited the planet and wondered what it would be like to have to wear a mask permanently - as Kian had to.

“Don’t give me that look,” Kana raised her eyebrow at Corvus as she retrieved the breathing mask. “You can't expect Raven to crash all the time, can you?”

She covered her mouth and made sure the mask sat tight. An equipment failure at this point would probably be less-than-funny. Kana cleared her throat and to her amusement the mask was distorting her voice.

<Great, a voice to go along with my leg. Cover me and plating and we’ll be set for a freak show.>

Following behind Kian she had to admit she was excited to see what his home was like. Maybe it was like his humor and personality. Dry yet incredibly serious at times. Hospitable yet terrifying at times. Only time would tell.

Kian walked the corridor of the Raven and had to admire the ship.....no wonder Kana stole it so often. Reaching the exit to the vessel, Kian turned toward [member="Corvus Raaf"] and [member="Kana Truden"] to ensure their masks were secured properly. He had to admit they looked odd in the breathing masks. Kian also realized he would get a taste of his own medicine on this trip of theirs. With the masks on, Kian couldn't read the microexpressions on their faces.....he would have to rely on their force auras to determine their emotions.

Turning to the console, Kian entered a series of commands and the door to the room opened. There was a rushing of atmosphere as the Dorin gas entered the ship and as the oxygen from the ship exited the vessel. Kian waited a few moments, making sure the room had been empty of oxygen before he turned away from the two of them and began to remove his mask. Kian had only revealed himself to a few individuals in his time with the Jedi and he was curious to see how Corvus and Kana would take his appearance. Kian had been told before that Kel Dor were not all that pleasant looking to non-Kel Dor. First he removed his mask and took a breath, relaxing a bit when he noticed it didn't burn, then he removed his goggles.

Turning to face Corvus and Kana, they would see the face of their friend for the first time. Kian's eyes would blink a few times getting use to the feel of having taken off his goggles. His eyes were a light grey and the irises were ringed in gold. Grey eyes were said to be a trait of Kel Dor who were strong in the force.....though Kian wasn't sure if this was just a tale or not. Kian's face was now revealed to them. His nose, like that of all Kel Dor, appeared to be the lower portion of a beak, minus the beak. It was an open area that dropped down into a larger hole that was his mouth. This was covered by dropping flesh that acted like his lips. Smiling broadly at his friends, the his lips would pull back, revealing the two hard palates that acted as his upper and lower set of teeth.

"Boo!" Kian said after a moment and laughed, this time it came out rich and deep.....not static or muffled by a mask. Kian turned back toward the opening as two security personnel approached. They two were maskless Kel Dor, one larger and male, the other smaller and female. Kian strode to the ramp to greet them.

"Koh-toh-yah!" Kian said to the two approaching and the three talked in Kel Dor for a few moments. Then the security personnel turned toward Corvus and Kana.

"You all have diplomatic status on Dorin. Please try to behave." The man said, and flashed Kian a dirty look before walking away. The women watched the male guard walk away and she shook her head.

"Welcome back sage." She said and bowed her head to him respectfully before walking away.

Corvus followed Kian to the hangar bay - in preparation for leaving the ship and she did her best to ignore Kana's good-natured banter - responding would only make it worse.

When the doors opened and the gases were effectively switched, the sensation was odd. She felt slightly vulnerable and wondered if this is what KIan felt every day, or if he was able to get used to the sensation. Regardless, she was pleased he had checked their masks and so she followed him as he exited Raven.

Kian conversed with the new arrivals. Although she understood the exchange in Kian's memories, without the benefit of his mind she couldn't understand a word they were saying. But when they addressed her and Kian directly, their command of Basic was impeccable.

"He was looking at you when he said that," she whispered out of the side of her mouth to Kana. It was difficult to pull off wearing a mask. "You must have a reputation!" She smiled behind the mask for what it was worth. 'How do you communicate emotion when nobody can see your face?'

The woman that greeted Kian seemed a lot friendlier by comparison.

Was that what Kian looked and sounded like underneath the mask? Kana had to admit she was not expecting that. Not that she would display it too much, hopefully. Her head did twitch back for a second as she saw the ‘real’ Kian but beyond that there was nothing.

Then Corvus tried to play the guards’ introductions as a joke. Kana’s reaction was lost on them as if she simply nodded with her eyebrows arched but underneath her mask was one of those grins that could kill a horse. She looked sideways at her friend. It could look like she was doing two things and Kana knew it. Either she looked incredibly angry, or she looked like a really smug nerd. Either way she had to defend her own honor.

<A reputation, huh? Well, at least *I* didn’t get mine based on the books I read…>

A wink and a few steps away from the ramp was all Kana could provide to let Corvus know she lost that snark-off. Silly girl.

‘Jokes aside, Corvus. We’re about to experience what our friend has experienced most of his time with us. Your answers will come with time.’

Kian watched as the guards walked away and his mind wander as he looked around the spaceport. Kian was so distracted by being home, that he completely missed much of what was going on with [member="Corvus Raaf"] and [member="Kana Truden"] as they discussed their masks behind him. Finally turning his attention back to them, Kian smiled again.

"Well," Kian said, "that wasn't the friendliest of greetings was it!." Kian said clapping his hands together. "Sorry for the poor impression. Kel Dors aren't use to non-Kel Dor's visiting all that often......for obvious reasons." Kian said and turned, indicating that they should follow him.

"I reached out to the sages before we left Ossus." Kian said as he walked at a steady, excited pace. "They have extended an invitation for you both to come and see what life is like among the Baran Do. After that, I thought I would pay my respects to my family crypt." Kian said, "You're more then welcome to join me there, it is in the countryside and would provide an opportunity to see some of Dorin outside the city. And if there is anything in particularly you'd like to see while here, I'm open to suggestions." Kian said as they exited the spaceport and Kian lead them to a parked speeder. Kian exchanged some words with the Kel Dor driver in Kel Dor and then exchanged a handful of credits with the man.

"I would be remise if I didn't tell you Corvus, that the Baran Do have an extensive library......nor would I want to leave out Kana that several of the sages are renowned for their combat abilities." Kian said running a hand over his face. Under his fingers he could feel the scars that were on on his face where his mask had been crushed into his skin by a Sith Knight during the invasion of Empress Teta. He had never bothered to have the scars removed......they reminded him of his need to protect his mask, and shortly after the invasion he had learned how to better use force shielding techniques. Jumping into the speeder Kian motioned for the others to join him.

Corvus smiled from behind her mask and then shook her head slightly. This was going to take a lot of getting used to.

She wasn't sure what to say of Kian's apology for his fellow Kel-Dor's behaviour. So she decided to say nothing, but simply nodded.

But when he talked more openly about what he had planned, she felt more comfortable responding. "Everything you have suggested sounds educational and by definition interesting. There is nothing specifically I would like to see, but Kana may. And if it's too exciting for me, you could always leave me in the library. For a few days." Even with her mask, the smile and movement of her eyes conveyed how pleased she was at this prospect.

Actually, Kana had another thing in mind. Sparring was a good idea but she was a lot more interested in Dorin itself. Sparring could be done at the temple any time. Granted it wasn’t with a Kel Dor ‘sage’ but there was nothing that prevented her from doing that after learning a bit more about where Kian came from. She gave the others a look, that was all she could give them after all since her smile was blocked by the breathing mask.

“Actually, I’ll be joining Corvus at the library.” Kana straightened her sleeveless tunic. She wasn’t breaking their expectations too bad, was she? “I want to learn more about Dorin from the local sources while I can.”

History was a newfound interest but it wasn’t about the jedi, it was about planets in general. About knowing the mistakes made of many planets’ cultures past and present as a whole and how she as a jedi could help prevent such events.

Or maybe they were simply staring at her because for some reason she hadn’t mentioned her tunic until now. Well, not only Corvus had a change of wardrobe the last few weeks. Sleeveless tunics had found their spot on her list of things that were okay to wear, obviously.

"Excellent." Kian said as the speeder took off and made its way toward the outskirts of the city. The Baran Do Temple was an ancient building that stood on the edge of the city. Once it was a beacon to all Kel Dor wishing to catch glimpses of the sages or to ask for their advice.....but the sages were not as they once were.

As they made their way toward the temple, [member="Corvus Raaf"] and [member="Kana Truden"] would be given a better view of Dorin. From the city street they rode on, you could see various Kel Dor scurrying about. Some where workers preparing their shops for the mid-day rush, others were people just passing through. They passed a small cluster of Kel Dor children kicking around a ball, though all stopped and stared at the speeder as it passed, no doubt shocked to see another species on the planets surface.

As they arrived at the temple, Kian was a little surprised to see a sage awaiting them at the gate. She walked over as they exited the vehicle and turned her attention to the speeder driver.

"You should get to cover immediately......storms coming!" She said and then turned back toward Kian, Corvus and Kana.

"Let's get inside." She said, indicating that they should follow.

"Are you sure? The alarm hasn...." The driver began but he was quickly interrupted by the blaring of an alarm and within seconds was speeding off towards home. Dorin was a planet constantly under siege from the assault of the weather and when that alarm sounded no one stayed outside. Over his corner Kian could see the Kel Dor on the streets vanish within seconds. Everyone dropped what they were doing and fled inside. When an alarm sounded it didn't matter if it was your homes or a complete strangers, all Kel Dor let you in.

"Get inside, quickly!" Kian said, and within moments dark clouds of dust and electricity were upon them. As Kian entered the door the sage sealed it closed behind them.

"Welcome to the temple of the sages." She said after catching her breath. "I am Ti'n Bira, initiate of the sages, Master Kori will be out shortly. Can I get you anything?" She asked.

"I'm fine, thank you." Kian said and his eyes glanced upwards toward the ceiling. It was intricately painted with the history of the planet, a mural to the development of life on Dorin and to the role the sages had played in its culture. Kian hadn't seen it in years and he had almost forgotten the beauty of it.

Corvus was oblivious to the mural.

The journey here was interesting to say the least. To see another species with their blend of traditions - both old and new, indigenous and imported - was fascinating.

When the warning came, Corvus wasn't sure what to expect - but the electrical storm clearly freaked her out. The last time she had encountered one, her Master died. Although she found out later he was killed and the storm was used as a cover, her childhood fear of them had resurfaced. For it was her Master that had temporarily cured her of the phobia, but once he had gone, the irrational fear had returned.

So to see the people scrambling so desperately for cover sent shivers down her spine and set her heart racing. The door closing behind them eased her terror a little - but not much. She didn't connect to the Force to ease her situation, all rational thought was temporarily suspended. Instead she just closed her eyes and wished the storm away, beads of sweat forming on her brow.

That was a storm, oh boy that was a storm. As the people scrambled for cover there was little she could do but do the same. The storms must have been bad to warrant that kind of hysteria. She looked over at her friends. Kian and the sage seemed perfectly calm but there was one presence that radiated a tonne of fear. An understandable fear but a fear nonetheless.

Kana wanted to look at mural and learn from it but there was a time for that later. There were more important things to take care of. Things like making sure her friend didn't lose her cool. She brushed the offer for ‘anything’ aside and stood in front of her panicked friend.

“Hey you.” She remained calm as she placed her hand on Corvus’ arm. “You’re safe inside a temple that has lasted thousands of storms just like this one. Nothing here can hurt you.”

Mentions of hurt probably didn’t help but she couldn’t spend time thinking on it. Letting doubt show in a situation like these usually tended to sour the whole talk. She gently let her friend down to the ground and knelt down in front of her. She tilted her head and raised her eyebrows. To smile with your eyes would have to do for now, not that she wasn’t doing that underneath the mask.

“Relax and focus. Calm yourself and let the force guide your thoughts. We both know you can do that, right? Just let go of your emotions and doubts. Center yourself, okay?”

Kana sat down and crossed her legs before hunching towards her friend. It was time for telepathy.

‘Drown out the rest of the noise and think of a happier place. Think of the library back on Ossus. Think of Raven and all the rhyscate I have eaten. Anything that makes you feel safe and able to let go of the fear. When I am feeling like you do I tend to think about a certain day. It was roughly a year or so ago when I bumped into this one padawan in the gardens... I think you've heard this one.’

‘You can of course think of what you want to, but don’t make me have to repeat the code to you, alright?’

[ [member="Corvus Raaf"] | [member="Kian Karr"] ]

Kian hadn't noticed [member="Corvus Raaf"]'s sudden reaction to the storm, but when he turned back to see his friends, he was surprised to see Corvus had sunken down to the floor and [member="Kana Truden"] was attempting to comfort her. Kian was unsure of what to do at first, and was a bit surprised by his friends reaction. Before he could say anything or do anything however, a sudden feeling of calm and relaxation rushed over him. When it hit him it was like a warm soothing balm of psychic energy and it washed over everyone in the room.

Do not fear a storm child.....for when they pass the sun shines ever brighter. The words flashed through Kian's mind and the touch was familiar....as was the feelings that accompanied it. Anything that had been bothering Kian, his anxiety at being home, his fear of his friends not enjoying themselves....all faded away in the warmth of that mental embrace.

Turning back toward the hall, Kian saw the person who was touching their minds.

Hello master. Kian said through the mental connection. Master Sha Mong was the oldest member of the Baran Do and she had lead them since before Kian was born. She carried herself with pride and elegance, but time and age had bent her frame and her once vibrant orange skin had paled to grey in many places. Kian wasn't sure how old Master Mong was.....but she was old.

This is Corvus Raaf and Kana Truden of the Jedi Order. Kian said stepping aside and sweeping his hand towards his friends. It was Sha Mong that Kian had brought them here to meet, for among the sages she had a reputation for brilliance with the force.

Corvus didn't know how she ended up sitting on the floor but she did. She felt her friend connect with her and it felt warm and positive. But the trouble with phobias is that they are - quite simply - irrational.

The wave of calmness tipped Corvus over the edge and back into control. She opened her eyes and smiled at Kana. "Sorry." She then looked up and saw that they were no longer alone. Scrambling to her feet she smoothed the hem of her robes with the palm of her hands and bowed. "My apologies. I was...err...terrified. Sorry, it's an old memory that I either can't or won't lock away. But thank you both," she now turned to Kana again. "I really appreciated the help."

Kian looked at his friend and his brow crinkled in concern. He was glad to see she was again in control of herself, but he was worried. Storms were a fairly common occurrence on Dorin....though not all were electrical. He hoped that if they occurred again she would be alright. Although if not, she had Kian and Kana, and there was no better friend to have around then [member="Kana Truden"]. Kian sometimes thought the two of them were more like sisters then friends and although he had come to accept that Jedi should shy away from attachments....in those two he didn't see it as a bad thing.

"[member="Corvus Raaf"], Kana Truden, allow me to introduce you to Sha Mong, the leader of the Baran Do sages." Kian said stepping forward and bowing to the older Kel Dor woman. She abruptly pulled him out of the bow and into an embrace. Kian wasn't a particularly physical individual, but he hugged her back and then stepped aside. Sha walked to Corvus and Kana, her stride slow but steady, and she pulled each of them in turn into an embrace. Kian couldn't help but feel a pang of sorrow as he looked at her. She looked so much older then she had the last time he was here.

"When Kian contacted us to tell us he was coming home and bringing Jedi with him, we were so very pleased. It has been a long time since one of your order has come to visit the sages." Sha said walking back to Kian and looping her arm and his, leaning on him for support. Kian gingerly walked with the aged sage toward a series of benches and she sat down with a thump.

"So what brings the Jedi to Dorin?" She asked pulling Kian down beside her and patting his hands.

"I wanted to come home and visit, and I thought Kana and Corvus here would enjoy seeing another Force Tradition other then the Jedi." Kian said.

"You've come at a good time. The storms have been relatively benign as of late." She said, and turned her attention back to Kana and Corvus.

"How are you enjoying your trip to our home? Hopefully the storms don't drive you off....Dorin has a lot more to offer then what appears on the surface." Sha said smiling at the two women before her.

“It’s been brief so far with mixed emotion.” Kana smiled and looked at Corvus. Not that the elder could see that. “I take it that ‘on the surface’ part can be quite literal, right?” She looked out at the storm as it raged on. “With storms like these it’s only fair to assume your civilization has sought a lot of protection underground.”

Kana wasn’t a geographer, geologist or even proper historian, but assumptions, now that she was good at. She walked up to Kian and his old master. Dorin was the home of Kel Dor, yet she kept finding herself amazed at seeing more jedi except Kian and Tora that was Kel Dor. She resisted the urge to raise her eyebrow and drift off into thought on it.

“I would be interested in the history of the Kel Dor sages.” Kana bowed in courtesy. “I would lie if I said I weren’t interested in seeing more of the Dorin culture but I guess the storm sort of put that plan on hold for a bit.”

“How long does the storms usually last?”

(This was my 666th post!)

Corvus nodded as Kana spoke - there wasn't much she could add. "Just to echo was Knight Truden said, the chance to learn of your ways with the Force and to find out a little of your history. I like history."

She was a lot better but a little shaky still. For the moment, she would go with the flow.

[member="Kana Truden"] | [member="Kian Karr"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom