Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Four of a Kind

Anya Venari

Star Queen Tirathana VII
[member="Elpsis Kerrigan-Alcori"]
“If I had a station like this, I’d like to strut around on it,” Penance said, materialising behind her Lady. The Dahomian was dressed sensibly in light armour covered by a cloak. This might be a diplomatic meeting on board a massive station filled with soldiers…but Penance was ever wary. Besides, Vari had told her about the strife inherent in the Eldorai and their tendency to assassinate each other.

As they stepped down they could see that they were the focus of much attention. The Qadiri seemed annoyed that their grand entrance had been usurped.

Fortunately Tegaea appeared at that moment and stepped into the hangerbay, accompanied by Tempest and a couple of other attendants.

“Welcome, my friends. Please join with me and we will make some introductions in comfort rather than this hanger.”

Inside a lounge large enough to be someone’s entire house, they reassembled. As the different dignitaries filed in Tegaea found herself by the door as Vari entered.

She smiled. “Well, well, long time no see, Vari!” she said with a smile. “I didn’t know you were coming until I got buzzed. They said an Eldorai Lady had appeared not on the list, so I wasn’t surprised when your name came up!”

Tempest and Penance were catching up again after their little meeting on Dahomey not so long ago. If Elpsis was present she might well come upon them talking.

Meanwhile the guests were introduced but all of them watched each other closely, warily, waiting for the ring master to arrive in the form of Siobhan.

[member="Anya Venari"]

"I imagine you'd exhaust your feet strutting from one end to another. I suppose it's a good argument for her to get her feet worshipped on a daily basis. Doubtless she's explored every nook and cranny of her red light district." Having duly snarked about her business partner, occasional rival and more than occasional lover, Varisanthra made sure her lightsabre was secured to her belt, then stepped out of the shuttle. She did so without pomp. Guards did not march out in a dramatic fashion and take up position. They simply followed her. One of the Myrmidons was Kassana Valtathrae, an old associate of hers and a proud Dashdae Eldorai. Her helmet's faceplate hid the look of disdain on her face when she looked at the crowned heads.

As her eyes travelled across the hangar, Varisanthra noticed the modest Eldorai and Xioquo delegations, compared to the ostentatious gathering of Qadiri. She sensed the foul mood of the latter. She had only just landed and managed to annoy some royals. Well, the day was off to a good start.

At this moment, Tegaea showed up. Varisanthra smiled slightly when they got close. "Nice to see you again, Tegs. You look good. Time has been kind to you," she said sincerely. The woman no longer had the impressive muscles that had roused such passion inside Vari. Her features showed the lines of aging. However, she was still very attractive and had evidently had found her place in the world.

Varisanthra had often wondered whether a long life span was better than a short one. Compared to the average baseline human, Eldorai lived a far longer life. Thirty years was the average span of a human's working life, whereas an Eldorai would be just getting started.

However, perhaps the knowledge that their time was very finite drove humans to be more daring and make the most of their life. Baseline humans had no special talents of note. They were the very definition of average, yet they dominated the stars. Of course, not every human rose from the gutter to become a business magnate. The average person was no better regardless of species. But on a macro level humans did more with their time.

Meanwhile, the elves just grew smug and stodgy. Tradition became their dogma. Her people had been stuck on their parochial homeworld, growing inflexible, arrogant and stupid. Having accomplished nothing of note despite their advantages, they were now either motley bands of rebels pursuing asinine ideologies or pawns sucking at the humans' teats.

xxx

Meanwhile, Siobhan was being fashionably late. In the early days, this had been a trick blue bloods had used on her. Back when she had been nothing but a special forces officer or a Jedi. When they had thought they could boss her around. But the tables had turned.

"My Lady, the delegations have arrived. Lady Alcori has brought them to the Exarch lounge," the clipped, professional voice of Maerys Medaea, her Eldorai secretary, spoke through her comm. Medaea was one of the Eldorai in her inner circle. She had managed to even keep a place during the suspicious years after Tarissa's execution, despite her mistress' notorious moodiness and paranoia.

"Excellent," she checked her hair in a small mirror one final time, then put it away. "Elpsis, are you ready?"

A few moments later, her wayward daughter emerged. "Oh my, you look so professional, Elpsis. You'll be a real head turner," Harmony could not resist trolling in a gushing voice. Doubtless this annoyed the girl even more.

"I look and feel silly," Elpsis grumbled. Her stump itched. Phantom pains came and went, but never entirely left her.

"You can't see yourself in a mirror, so you don't know how you look," Siobhan did not seem to feel the need to be tactful to her. "You cannot attend a high-level conference in shorts and tank tops, dear."

"I could have worn armour. Been your bodyguard."

"Nonsense. You are more than a common footsoldier and so you shall look and act the part. One day, you may be the one leading negotiations like this. So it is vital you get to know and understand our guests."

"No one asked me whether I want any of this. How nice of you to plan my future," Elpsis grumbled.

"Oh, for heaven's sake, don't start sulking. You have a duty to your family. It goes beyond your selfish wants. You wanted to be part of it, so you will do your duty. Now come on. Best behaviour."

Tegaea Alcori

Firemane Industries CEO
[member="Vaena Askari"]
“And to you, you barely look a day older!” Tegaea said with a grin. It was an easy joke about Eldorai, but it was still true.
“I wasn’t expecting you to come, but your presence is very welcome. Far too many queens and crowns for my taste.” It was one reason the two had gotten on so well in the past. Tegaea did not, and would never like royalty, though she could just about stomach an elected monarch she was not one for hereditary titles.
“How’s business? Everything going as expected?”

Lia meanwhile found herself pretty much alone in the corner of the room. She was not the most social of people, and the entourages and disdain of the Qadiri had made her stay separate.
However, one person had taken an interest in her. “Welcome, Liavondra, Queen of the Xio,” Tylania said politely.
“Lady Tylania,” Lia said, bowing her head. It was nice to meet a fellow Light adept, especially as she was still not a great flyer.
“I see your skills have grown, my dear. If you wish, I would be happy to offer some more training and advice.”
“I would like that, Lady. Thank you for your kind attention.”
“Of course, my dear. Let us join the others. I believe the Lady Siobhan will be here soon.”

Semiramis meanwhile had her attendants bring a throne for her into the room from the shuttle and she was seated regally on it whilst two attendants fanned her. It wasn’t necessary in an airconditioned station, but the point was that people were fanning her.

Anya meanwhile was dictating some notes to an attendant and watching the doors for the arrival of a presence she could sense but not yet see; Siobhan Kerrigan.

[member="Tegaea Alcori"]

"The crowned heads come to supplicate themselves to keep their crowns...even though that very act may put them at risk of losing said crowns," Varisanthra mused philosophically. While no democrat, she was not fond of monarchy. Certainly not hereditary absolute monarchy. She need only look at the comprehensive failure that was the Eldorai Matriarchy. She would accept a constitutionally limited one because it could impose a check on a parliament governed by the whims of a fickle electorate that was easily swayed by whoever promised to ride its hobby horses. But her preferences were an oligarchy or a republic with a limited franchise.

"The unfortunate mess in the Core was a bit of an inconvenience, but business is well. I have only had to dispatch debt collection teams twice recently. It is almost dull," she chuckled slightly. It was a bit of an inside joke, since they had met on one such occasion. "You and Siobhan are well, I take it?"

She gazed across the room, taking in the various elf queens. "You have me at a bit of a disadvantage here, I am afraid," she said a bit self-deprecatingly. Whether it was genuine or not was another question. "Of these four, I have only crossed paths with Tirathana briefly during the...Exodus," she paused for a moment. Well-manicured fingers touched the diamond hanging from the chain on her neck.

There was a flicker of something on her face. It was only momentary. Then her mask was back on. "Though I believe I have a good idea which of the cousins I do not like," she added, eyes on Semiramis seated on her throne. Her inner republican was disgusted. Tylania and Liavondra seemed to be making small talk, while the Eldorai Queen - Varisanthra wondered how many queens her people would soon have at the same time - was sitting alone with her minions, with her eyes on the doors. To Vari it looked like a woman waiting for her mistress to arrive.

The banker could not help wonder whether there had been any prior discussion between the elf monarchs. Presenting a united front would have given some bargaining power. She was unfamiliar with most of them, but the vibes she picked up on made her doubt that. The more scheming or canny among them might try to make separate arrangements with Firemane - or herself, mayhaps - to get preferential conditions. Of course, that would only give the corporation leverage.

The banker did not really have strong feelings on the Tygarans either way. She accepted that they were biologically related to her people. They were low tech and many aspects of their societies were primitive, but her people had spent their time on Kaeshana not accomplishing anything of note. What mattered was how they played the cards that had been given to them and whether they managed to uplift themselves or not.

At this moment, the door opened and a very big, imposing Kar'zun bodyguard marched into the room. "My Ladies, the Lady Kerrigan," Kar'zakush rumbled in a booming voice that sounded like the pounding of hammers. Her kind had a mouth made for grinding granite.

One wondered whether Siobhan had decided to use a Kar'zun as herald purely to troll elves. Varisanthra was no fan of bombast. At least Siobhan had not made the guard recite all of her absurd titles. Regardless, a moment later the Lady herself stepped into the room. She was followed by Kaylah Danton and a formally dressed, very uncomfortable looking Elpsis.

Tegaea Alcori

Firemane Industries CEO
[member="Vaena Askari"]
“Irony upon irony, dear Vari,” Tegaea said in amusement. She liked Anya, but she didn’t like the Matriarchy. She considered how things would be had Silaqui or another noble been Queen. Likely even worse.

“Debt collection details are often far less interesting than one assumes. Well, when you’re not in them personally!” she said with a laugh.
“Yes, we are well. Siobhan had some health issues, but fortunately we seem to be over them. She’s very much her old self…which is good. I think this meeting is going to strain her stamina…and her patience.”

“Ah yes, well those two over there are Liavondra and Tylania. Queen of the Xio and Paragon of the Vashyada. Though Tylania sort of acts like a representative more than a Queen. And yes, that fine example of covering your uncertainty with arrogance is Semiramis, Queen of the Qadiri.” There was some distaste there in Tegaea’s words. She didn’t like Semiramis much, or her ostentatious frivolity, and especially not her transparent scheming.”

Still, Siobhan soon entered so Tegaea gave Vari a smile before heading off to join her wife. The summit was convened.

When eventually the table settings were done, Vari would be sitting beside Tylania to her left and Lia to her right. Siobhan and Tegaea would take the ends of the table, with Kaylah beside Siobhan. That left Lia next to Anya and Semiramis next to Tylania.

[member="Tegaea Alcori"]

"I understand the Qadiri are chronically divided. Curious that she purports to speak for them all. I suppose it reflects her ambition more than fact," Vari commented in a neutral tone. A subtle dig at a flaw in the conference? Perhaps, or just a factual observation. Either way, Siobhan entered and Tegaea joined her. The young redhead who trailed after Siobhan did not escape Vari's attention. She could feel the girl's power, but also her uncertainty and discomfort.

Seating arrangements were handled smoothly. The young girl found herself seated besides Tegaea. Siobhan gave her wife's hand a squeeze beneath the table before addressing the conference. "Welcome, my ladies. I thank you all for coming. A gathering of this nature has been unprecedented in the history of the Eldorai races, though I believe it was long overdue," she began smoothly.

"At the risk of sounding like the first day at summer camp, let us get introductions out of the way. For those who have not met her, this is Varisanthra Lycaeni, Director of Nova Bank, and Elpsis Kerrigan-Alcori, my daughter." One by one the various participants of the conclaves introduced themselves. Some had a long list of titles, others did not.

Siobhan had noted Semiramis' throne, but made no comment. The woman was insecure and trying to compensate. Siobhan did not like scheming aristocrats, but felt she understood Semiramis and could predict her actions. Appeals to noble ideals did not work on her, but pragmatic ones did. She was power-hungry, but no foolish zealot like Tarissa or as inflexible as Tirathana VI. Siobhan believed she could work with that. Time would tell whether this judgement would prove correct or not.

Her eyes lingered on Anya for a moment. It was unfortunate really. Siobhan liked her, but did not see her as a good ruler. She understood that her judgement was not free of unfairness. Anya had had to put up with a lot, such as the desolation of her homeworld. That had been out of her hands. But to Siobhan she was not forceful or dynamic enough.

She could not help the impression that Anya did better as someone's bureaucratic workhorse than as the ruler. To a degree, Siobhan had herself to blame. Firemane had given the Eldorai a safety net and now their Queen's first instinct was to hide behind Siobhan's skirts and announce a decision after being presented with a fait accompli.

Regardless, it was time to take control. "We are here today to decide upon Tygara's future. For a long time, this world existed in an insulated bubble, much like Kaeshana before it. But the fact that Tygara is not interested in the rest of the Galaxy, does not mean the Galaxy is not interested in Tygara." Siobhan, stop plagiarising Trotsky. Or dialectic materialism will become interested in you.

"Pirate incursions and the Eldorai colonisation are a testament to that. Over the past few years, the galactic situation has changed dramatically." With a mental gesture, she pressed a button on a remote control, activating a holoprojector. This produced a galactic map. It was even colour-coded.

"Both the Galactic Alliance and the Silver Sanctum Coalition have collapsed." Well, the SSC changed its name again, abandoned all the worlds under its protection and fled to Kashyyyk, but to Siobhan that amounted to the same thing. "While towards the end of their life span both powers were worse than useless, they were a meat shield for a while. The Sith Empire has been expanding across the Tingel Arm, enslaving defenceless worlds." To Siobhan, they were a pale imitation of the One Sith. "What powers remain that are not under Sith-imperialist sway are weak and ineffectual. We adapt to changing times or we perish. You can hope that Tygara will be ignored or that foreign invaders will be content with tribute, or plan for the future. The time for decision is finite."

Tegaea Alcori

Firemane Industries CEO
[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"]
Some titles were indeed longer than others, but Semiramis surprised Tegaea at least by simply listing herself as Shahbânu of Amikaron and Daughter of Kashara. This last elicited a slight smile from Tylania. In her turn she simply introduced her as “Tylania, Lady of the Vash,” and nothing more.

Whilst Lia and Semiramis looked somewhat fascinated by the holographic map; something they’d rarely seen, Tylania rose.

“You paint a grim picture, Lady Kerrigan, but I feel an accurate one. I have studied the galactic situation whilst in your hospitality aboard this station and I feel your assertions are correct. Had fate been kinder my people, and those other living on Tygara might have developed naturally and been uplifted to the galaxy over time. Time is not a luxury we possess though. We must adapt to this changing situation or perish.”

After she had sat Lia rose. “My Lady Kerrigan, I have trust in your words. I know not what of these empires and clans you name in the stars, but I glean the situation is dire. My people are few in number, and will fight the invaders, though such a course may be futile. I ask therefore, what measures can be taken to prevent this?”

Semiramis next rose. “If these ‘Sith’ come to our home the Qadiri will fight them as they have fought all invaders.” She unexpectedly made an unexpected shift here away from bombast. “…and lose. If there are powers in the great void stronger even than that of the Lady Kerrigan then there is no chance of victory. But what option have we? We are not nomads, and even if we were we cannot hide in a desert – these Sith could see us from the sky and still assail us.”

Finally Anya let out a sigh. “Exodus again. I had prayed it would not necessary again. We fled across the galaxy to escape fate, but fate still found us. Where now would we find respite from the horrors which seem to beset us?”

[member="Tegaea Alcori"]

You're spent and lethgaric. Siobhan gave Anya a look. Of all the elf races, the Eldorai were the most developed. They actually had a grasp of the galactic situation Siobhan was referring to, whereas it would understandably mean little to Semiramis or Liavondra.

Indeed, both the Qadiri and Xioquo leaders would have good reason to be suspicious since they had nothing except Siobhan's word on this. And if they did take her by her word, the entire prospect should be most frighteing for them. The Eldorai had already lost their homeworld and been driven across the stars. They were also technologically advanced. By all rights, they should have acquired a position of leadership among the elf races.

Yet they had not. Because they had no vigour. The exodus should have been the moment for them to wake up from their slumber. Instead the Eldorai, no matter whether reactionary, liberal or the ridiculous, self-righteous brigands that called themselves Shadow Knights, seemed to prefer wallowing in self-pity. They acted as if they were the only race that had gone through hard times. Was there something about Eldorai that predisposed them to be ineffectual wet hens?

"I recall telling you a good while ago that putting all eggs in one basket is folly. More anyone else here at this table, the Eldorai should understand how dire the situation can become," she told Anya. Siobhan did not raise her voice. Her expression remained neutral and taciturn. But she also did not offer sympathy for the Eldorai's woes. She had made a grave error by coddling them in the past. She had idealised the Eldorai just like she had idealised her relationship with Adril. In short, she had been foolish.

"I'm a businesswoman. I offer options. You can choose to make a stand on Tygara against possible attacks and fortify it as best as you can. I am fine with selling equipment and such. You can purchase ships from me or elsewhere to find your own way. Or Firemane can provide passage aboard space stations that were constructed for the purpose of mass population relocations."

Anya Venari

Star Queen Tirathana VII
There was considerable discussion among the various groups. There was rightly a lot of discussion about what could be done.

The only one not discussing was Tylania, who of course had no one to discuss with. She seemed for a moment to be asleep, but was instead thinking carefully. Finally she rose, looking first to Siobhan and Tegaea.

“The other ladies may need to discuss this and come back, but my decision and conscience is clear. I wish to ask for Firemane’s aid in leaving Tygara. It will be a terrible shock for my people, both cultural and physical, and many will resist. However, action is required, and if action is not taken we risk losing everyone and everything. So long as these stations you mention have facilities to ease my people into their new life and contain natural areas for them to commune with nature I will be happy. In due time I will seek options to colonise other worlds, but for now we pledge ourselves to you. We are not a wealthy civilisation, but we have skills and resources which will assist, and I am happy to help devise a fair and equitable treaty. Thank you.”
She sat.

In many ways Tylania was the Judas Goat for this meeting, though she was not leading the other elves to the slaughter. Rather, she had already made up her mind and so by speaking in favour of the topic she would show the others that it was an acceptable, even wise, course.

The other groups discussed matters still, so Tegaea leaned over to Elpsis.
“You look good in that outfit. I know you can’t see it for yourself, dear, but you look the part,” she said encouragingly.

Lia meanwhile finished her discussions and looked to Vari. “You are here as a guest of the Lady Kerrigan?”

[member="Anya Venari"]

"I am honoured by your trust. The necessary modifications can be made to make sections of the stations more natural. We can give you a guided tour and you can make suggestions about how to facilitate integration. Kaylah will provide a more detailed account of the layout and our terms," Siobhan nodded to the Eriaduan.

Both had some clearly defined roles. Siobhan dealt with what she somewhat patronisingly called the 'big picture'. Kaylah dealt with administrative minutiae and details. In other words, one of them dreamt up grand projects, the other turned them into something that was actually practical and did the bureaucratic legwork. Siobhan had come a long way from her days as Exarch, but still preferred actually doing stuff to sitting in an office. They worked well enough together, but also at times butted heads because the Eriaduan was quite willful. She was also not into 'games' in the bedroom.

Elpsis, meanwhile, did not seem too thrilled. "I'm not in the mood, Mum." At least she had the decency to keep her voice low instead of making a scene. Her stump itched. Phantom pains came and went, but never really left.

Vari had been checking some notes and speaking with her aide when Lia unexpectedly turned to her. "Independent operator. We do business at times. You can call me Vari," she responded and stretched out her hand. Her short, white fingernails were well-manicured.

"This whole affair must be...very daunting for you," she said in a sympathetic - but not pitying - tone. "I confess you're the first of your people I have crossed paths with," she added. Vari's Force aura was mostly grey. She carried a lightsabre on her belt and was elegantly dressed in a stylish women's business suit.

Anya Venari

Star Queen Tirathana VII
Tegaea didn’t say anything more, just patted her daughter on the leg reassuringly. This was the part of parenthood where there wasn’t much in the way of guidebooks. How to reach out to and help her daughter without alternately alienating or suffocating her was a difficult balance. Regardless, this was not the place for it, but she made a mental note to have a conversation with Elpsis after the conference, try to find if she could help her.

Tylania meanwhile nodded to Siobhan. “My thinks, I will be happy to collaborate.”

Lia meanwhile looked at Vari. To her untrained eyes the Eldorai noble was a curious mix of Eldorai and human. Not physically, but in her clothing, sense and style. She was someone she deemed had been apart from the Queen of the sky-kin for a long time.
“All has been both daunting and difficult to understand. I am determined not to be a-feared of the result though. Much has happened, for good or ill, and I suspect I must believe in the Light and take the next step. Many will dispute me my choice, but a people which will not act is a people who will die.”

The Xioquo rose. “My Lady Kerrigan, though it will anger many of my people, and frighten more of them, I will take your offer. We have skills we might trade in return, though I know not how useful these might be to you. Like the Lady of the Vash my people would have requests for how to live among the stars.”

She sat, smiling uncertainly at Vari, her hands twisted together. “A leap of faith is never not frightening…but that does not make it less necessary.”

[member="Anya Venari"]

Siobhan paid Elpsis no mind. The girl was brave and spirited, but aimless, prone to flights of fancy and too inclined to jump into any skirmish without much forethought or planning. Unless there was a firm hand to direct her, she would either get herself killed or just keep gallivanting across the Galaxy. It rankled her that Elpsis had still not bothered to get cloned or cybernetic replacements for her useless eyes. It was a sign of laziness.

"The burden of leadership: Everyone looks to you to make the hard choices, but it also makes you the target for their barbs - quite literally," Varisanthra said. Her tone sympathetic, but not pitying. She did not do pity. "Change is painful, but often necessary. My own people were faced with this choice before. It was a terrible one, but also a chance to start anew. We let it slip by and paid the price for complacency."

Siobhan gave the Xioquo a nod. As if on cue, Kaylah got up. Her high heels clanked as she walked up to a holoprojector. She manipulated the controls a bit and the galactic map was replaced by a holographic projection of an enormous space station. "This is a Sanctuary class habitat. Designed to accommodate a large population - 500 million per station, to be precise. Each contains enough resources and materials to supply the populace for a year before replenishment is required. Specialised devices can break down any physical object, such as liquid, gas and refuse, on a molecular level and rearrange them into water, oxygen, basic foodstuffs and so on." The Eriaduan had a slight Rimkin accent that she had never entirely lost. She wore a little makeup and a professional pant suit.

"Each station is divided into twenty-five tiers, with a dedicated work force and security. Some levels specialise in providing habitation, others in agriculture, medicine, engineering etc. I reckon many of the Vashyada will find themselves employed in the agricultural and medical sectors, while the Xioquo's afifnity for technology would lend itself to supervised employment in engineering and manufacturing."

The projection shifted so that the queens would get a view of the interior. "To provide protection, the stations will be accompanied by a host of escorts and mobile defence stations. I should note that this will not be a luxury cruise. Everyone aboard the station, provided they are of age and capable of work, will have to be part of the work force. Most of the habitation areas will be single or double room, four to eight per berth. Many goods will have to be rationed; the flow of labour and capital will have to be regulated. Weapons will be limited to authorised personnel. Drugs and alcohol should be banned at least to begin with."

"Finally, slavery will have to go. It's high time. Moral issues aside, chattel slavery is economically inefficient and would become untenable on the habitats. I can see value in making criminals work off their debt to society, but Firemane won't let its stations turn into war zones between rebellious slaves and their owners. Or return escapees to their mistresses," Siobhan interjected.

Anya Venari

Star Queen Tirathana VII
The last revelation was met with complete indifference by three of the four leaders in the room. The Eldorai of course had never had slavery, whilst the Vashyada had so little use of it that abolition of it would be something completely inconsequential. Even the Xioquo under Lia had so completely turned on the institution that it was a non-issue.

All eyes turned to Semiramis, who had defended slavery, often with different names. However, the Qadiri would surprise them by smiling.
“By all means, Lady Kerrigan. Slavery is an outdated method of labour with all these engines and machines, especially the walking dri-ods. We of course accept. The freed people will be offered employment and education for those new jobs.”

Tegaea narrowed her eyes slightly. She knew where this might head.
“The freed people will be found jobs and given training away from their current owners, and said employers will be required to offer fair pay,” she said. She had no intention of removing the shackles of slavery just to replace it with the shackles of sharecropping indenture.

“Of course, Lady Alcori, our commitment to progress is firm,” Semiramis replied sweetly.

Lia for her part looked very suspicious at Semiramis. She muttered something under her breath. Vari’s sensitive ears and translator module might pick up the words
“Deceptive snake, I will hold you to that….”

At this moment Anya rose. “I agree that action is required. I accept your proposal, Siobhan, however we will be on the search for potential colonies. However, we are happy to sign a minimum term of three years or less to pay our upkeep. Even if we find a suitable world it will take several years before we can move many people there. Thus your plan works well for now.”

[member="Anya Venari"]

"I expect debt bondage and indentured labour to pop up a lot," Varisanthra muttered quietly. The logistics of educating and integrating millions of slaves were mind-boggling. Vari loathed the institution, but was also a realist. In the short-term, conditions would not change that much. Firemane had considerable resources, but they were still finite. This was why Vari stuck to being a businesswoman instead of also trying to be a ruler. On the bright side, she had been here for less than an hour and met one elf who was not stupid.

Siobhan gave no indication as to whether she had heard the peanut gallery or not. She chose to employ a different tactic. "As a former slave, I find this very enlightened of you, Shahbânu Semiramis," she said sweetly. "It speaks well of your desire to build a prosperous future for the Qadiri. I am sure it would send a powerful signal to your people if you took the lead on this by being the first to emancipate the slaves of your crown domains."

"Firedawn will be in touch. It will verify the process and ensure the slaves are equipped to enter the labour market," Kaylah remarked. "Owners will be given a time span to release their slaves from bondage." She had set up the organisation at the behest of Siobhan to provide provide education, homes and jobs to freed slaves within the Firemane sphere of influence. It seemed they would have a lot of work ahead of them.

"Good. Then we are agreed," Siobhan gave Anya a nod. "Known troublemakers, rabble-rousers and so on will be excluded from the stations. If they have the capital, they can purchase a ship and go off to pursue their utopias. Individuals will not be persecuted for their beliefs. But the moment they use those beliefs to sow discord and cause trouble, they will be banished from the stations." Depending on your point of view, she was either being very patronising or offering the elf queens a convenient way to get rid of annoying malcontents and would-be putschists.

Anya Venari

Star Queen Tirathana VII

Semiramis still seemed serenely agreeable and unconcerned.
“Of course, we shall do so immediately!” she promised.

Lia still looked incredibly suspicious at her, but then looked back to Vari.
“Any assistance you might provide in how to properly educate our former slaves will be appreciated,” she said softly. “We are finding it difficult to give everyone an education, especially when many distrust the crown.” A quite reasonable distrust!

Tylania meanwhile rose to her feet. “I think we have met agreement on the first stage of our plans. If I may, I’d like to pass this on to my people below.”
That is, inform the actual king and queen of what was happening. It would likely not be a happy conversation!

Anya meanwhile nodded. “Yes, I doubt this news will be taken happily, so I will allow those groups who would only cause us trouble to depart. I think the reality of a universal, united Eldorai Matriarchy is well and truly moot.”
And had been for nearly ten years. Regardless, it would be a helpful situation.

[member="Anya Venari"]

"I don't quite have Firemane's experience in educating emancipated slave populations," Vari replied self-deprecatingly. Or in raising them to worship me, she thought cynically. She liked Siobhan well enough and had slept with her a few times, but was not uncritical. "However, I can provide some teachers and educational materiel. Written by a neutral source not involved in your politics." Was this a jab against the host of the conference or just a statement of fact? It was carefully worded, in any case.

"There's one last matter that requires settling," Siobhan said softly. "The cost of the enterprise."

"We calculate that evacuating Tygara of its entire sentient population, and subsequently providing for the upkeep of the stations for an initial three year period will cost this." Kaylah continued. Did these two finish each other's sentences sometimes?

Regardless, she passed over some datapads to the three queens and the Paragon who was not a queen but told the king and queen what to do. Various factors had been taken into account, such as population number, how costly uplifting them would be and, to be frank, how high the risk was. The Eldorai would obviously have to pay the most. They were the most populous race, after all. Vari also got a datapad, though she was probably familiar with the numbers.

Anya Venari

Star Queen Tirathana VII
“Thank you, your assistance will be valued, Lady Vari,” Lia said.

One by one the space elves took the datapads.
Semiramis promptly handed it to Bashiyra who was better with ‘space machines’ to examine and when whisper in her ear. “We accept, Lady Kerrigan,” she finally announced.
Lia meanwhile slowly looked over the screen. She had very little experience with datapads, but understood the words and numbers visible. There were a lot of zeros…. The Xioquo had a rather rough command economy during the old days with little coined money. Now with such upheaval that trend had continued, though there were more coins. “The Xio accept, Lady Kerrigan. Our assets are few, but we will pay how and when we can.”
Tylania meanwhile returned shortly after and examined the data and nodded. “This seems fair. Likewise, we are not a people with a complex economy, so we may have to discuss labour and services as an alternative to precious metals or other fungible items.” The fact there were comparatively little of the Xio and Vash helped in this regard.

Anya meanwhile examined it closely, frowned, but then nodded. “Yes, we accept,” she said, laying it down.

[member="Anya Venari"]

While the elf queens studied the numbers, Vari exchanged a few words with her advisor. It happened to be a protocol droid who had been reprogrammed to have an extensive knowledge of banking and finance, instead of bragging about how many languages it was fluent in.

"Nova Bank would be willing to offer a loan," she spoke. "At four percent interest rates for a period of twenty-five years. I would require a downpayment or appropriate collateral to support this endeavour. The exact details of it can be discussed in private."

She paused for a moment to let that sink in. "However, I must insist on the creation of a debt commission to supervise repayment, assess sources of revenue and expenditure and provide advice." If this sounded a bit like an unequal treaty, then that's because it was one. Vari wanted her people to succeed instead of being reduced to beggars and refugees dependent on the largesse of others. But she never lost sight of her own interests.

Anya Venari

Star Queen Tirathana VII
[member="Vaena Askari"]
Again this met with no outrage or protest. 25 years, whilst a good part of a human’s life was a good deal less taxing to any of the Eldorai related races. The other reason was simple necessity; there was no choice in the matter.

Lia did look slightly confused though and whispered to Vari when she was done.
“Forgive my ignorance, might you explain the details of this loan to me later? I understand the basics, but some terms we have not used.” She didn’t want to appear stupid…but nor did she want to sign something she did not understand.
‘Loans’ in the Xioquo world were usually extortion in all but name and so the specifics was not something she had really dealt with enough to be informed.
The other queens and not-queen nodded their acceptance.

“Excellent, we have made good progress, I think,” Tegaea said. “The first step will be to gain a fuller understanding of where your people are and start laying out the logistics. Speed is important, but precision is better. We will then need further information concerning the collateral you will bring so we can begin construction.”

“Is there anything more for this stage which needs to be discussed?” Tegaea asked, looking towards Siobhan and Vari.

[member="Anya Venari"]

Vari had concluded that she liked Lia. While young in years, she seemed to be free of the inherent pretentiousness that characterised most members of her class. And she actually questioned what was offered to her instead of taking it at face value. "Of course, we can go over the details later in private," she said gently. Figuring that the Xioquo would want to avoid potential embarrassment, she kept her voice low.

Siobhan took a sip from her glass of water. "I believe we have conclude this session. I propose we conclude it and discuss further details individually in small groups. Doubtless there are matters you would like to go over in private. Not to mention communicate with your people below."

After all, certain people might try to use the absence of the Shahbânu, the Star Queen and the Queen of the Xioquo to stage a coup. And while the Vashyada were not prone to such bloodletting, there was a king and queen Tylania would have to chat with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom