Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fortune-Favored Force Sensitive Seeking Gregarious Guide

[member="Valiens Nantaris"]

Qyren stared out into space, cataloging stars with her eyes while her mind turned over the question of where to go. Her trip to this space station, the only reasonably safe waypoint for her between her home and the bounty hunters' next stop, had seen her reflecting a great deal on whether to return to her parents or to simply send a message back. Her initial reaction had been certain: immediately seek out someone with a ship going to Aikhibba and work out a way to pay them once the ship arrived on-world. Get back to her parents, to her home and to the life she knew.

As the ship had continued through its hyperspace journey, though, reason and possibility had begun to worm their way into her thoughts. She didn't want to get married, to live the same life her mother lived, and when Master Dorn had arrived and told her of her Force sensitivity, it had been the opening of an alternative door for her. At the time, she hadn't needed or particularly wanted to take it. There was always the chance to contact him and accept it later if something happened that encouraged her to leave her home. Now... it felt like this was the opportunity she needed. The one chance she would have to explore as her teacher at home had done; the one chance to live a life other than one of slavery or domestic bliss. She was already removed from her family and her world. If she went home now, her parents would keep her in their town until she was married off-- and they would likely suggest her eventual husband do the same. As terrifying and emotionally painful as the separation from her parents was now, that sort of quiet life sounded more like a prison the further she got from Aikhibba.

So then... what? she had asked herself. Forward, her mind had responded. Move forward. She knew several off-worlders; she had names of planets they had recommended she find them on. The question would be how to contact or reach them without the means to do so. In the next moment, the weight of her isolation had pressed on her. If they would want her there so many months later.

The first to come to mind was Alexander, but he was a wraith; she regretted not having had Alex's comm code on her when she left home, though, at the time, she had had no idea she would need it. Qyren had no way to track him down now other than the planet she knew he had been heading to when he left her almost a year ago. Sullust. That road was a dead end, unless she got lucky and there was someone on the world-- and that was an entire world she was thinking of-- who would happen to run into her and also know him. That sort of uncertainty wasn't something she could take a risk on, not even for her closest friend. Reflection on her other acquaintances raised Master Dorn as her only option. Ossus, then. But with that decided she still had the same problem: who would take her to Ossus when she had little more than the clothes on her back and the few credits charity and fortune had left her? She had to count on the goodwill of strangers, and, once upon a time, she had heard Alexander's experiences with that. The universe would not be as helpful a place as she feared she needed now.

She closed her eyes and sighed quietly. She wished she had some guidance in this, but, as happened so often to her, she had no one to turn to but herself. Unknowingly, her lips pulled into a soft frown. Rawnie and Doctor Azure had been cordial about the whole situation, but that could have been because they were the ones who had taken off with her in tow. Qyren crossed her arms tightly, protectively, across her chest, feeling... small and overwhelmed.

You have to try for Ossus, she told herself, opening her eyes to frown out at the beautiful, star-spangled expanse before her. She cringed faintly at the thought of trying to bargain for passage among strangers, especially strangers who, more likely than not, all ran side businesses for slavers. There was no choice that might be safe. She could ask...

The thought of asking for a favor from Rawnie and Doctor Azure when they were already doing what they could made her instantly uncomfortable. It was a last resort; she didn't want to be their burden to bear, though she was fairly sure they would agree to help.

She had a few hours before she had to let them know for certain what she was doing. Reaching up to make certain the hood of her battered white cloak was pulled forward, Qyren turned back to the space station and sought out a sign that would point her in the direction of a ship-master or some figure of authority on the station who could give her an idea of where to look for a ride. She wasn't entirely certain how this sort of thing worked outside of a general city port, but there must be a... a port authority here as well. Although she hadn't seen one when she had left the ship at the docking bay, it was possible she had missed it in the sheer multiplicity of sights and sounds presented to her. Even the city she had been taken from hadn't been so vast.

Qyren wound up in the middle of some kind of intersection of hallways. She squeezed between people to get to the large signboard in the middle, keeping a firm hand on the pouch hanging from her neck. Although it was hidden by her cloak, she had no intention of being robbed of what little she had due to a lack of diligence.

[member="Qyren Leret"]
“What do you mean there’s a ‘problem’?” Valiens Nantaris said slowly, carefully.
The minion on the other side of the table had the decency to look uncomfortable. “Nothing too dramatic, sir, but there seems to be an issue with your ship’s credentials. We are working on getting it fixed.”
“I want to take off. I’ve done all the business I want here.”
“I understand you are in a hurry, sir, and we are doing all we can. Unfortunately, these things take time. I’m sure you understand?”
Nantaris glared at the man. “I don’t,” he stated bluntly. “You have four hours. After that I’m lifting off with or without your permission.”
“There is also the issue of the port duties. If you were to pay those, I’m sure we could advance you in the queue.”
Nantaris finally had confirmation. All this nonsense about port duties and landing permits was just an unsubtle push for a hefty bribe. He was not going to bite.
“Four hours,” he said sternly, pointing at the man.

With that, the rogue Jedi swept out of the office…and straight into a purple Twi’lek! Nantaris steadied the woman and stepped back. This instantly made his mood a bit better.
“A thousand apologies, Miss, I should have watched where I was going,” he said politely. Though he was wearing an old black and grey robe (faded and torn) he was still noticeably Jedi-ish. He even had a lightsabre at his side.
“Valiens Nantaris, but please call me Nantaris. You look lost, may I help you to make up for my clumsiness?”
Whenever there was a Twi’lek on offer he was always at his chivalric best!

Qyren's first instinct was to grab the nearest wrist of her assailant, prepared to twist it to release her if necessary. Thankfully, the actual purpose of the hands on her hit her before she managed to accidentally assault him instead. Qyren released him as he stepped back from her. That could have ended badly; she didn't need to draw security's attention. Her eyes flicked beyond him to the sign hanging above the door he'd passed through; at least she had come to the right place. Her hands reached up to straighten her hood, blocking her face from the view of everyone but Nantaris. Security or not, more attention was unwelcome, which she knew must have come across in her suspicious body language. If he were just a passing trader, he probably was as worried about her trustworthiness as she was about his.

As she inclined her head at his apology and introduction, her eyes caught on the saber hanging from his belt. Her deep emerald gaze met his again.

It can't be. What are the chances? ... What are the chances?

"Master Jedi..." Qyren glanced at the lightsaber again. He could be a Sith, of course, but... she hoped her common sense and whatever aspect of the Force which usually warned her of danger would have alerted her to that. She still hesitated, never sure about the come-and-go quality of her untrained Force abilities, but if ever there was a time to dive in feet first this was it. Where else was she likely to run into a Jedi on this station?

"Excuse me, Master Jedi, but you may. Perhaps... if you have the time, would we be able to speak somewhere more private?"

[member="Qyren Leret"]
Nantaris blinked. Well, things didn’t usually go so well to start off with! Of course, she was probably seeking aid from a Jedi. But then again she might be charmed by his rugged good looks! There was always that hope.

So he gestured down the hallway and led the Twi’lek to store under construction. He passed his hand over the lock, a little sleight of hand to open it, and then led her inside the empty, bare space beyond.

“What can I do for you, my dear? What did you need to discuss?”
He did not drop his caution entirely. If anyone was going to try and assassinate him they would certainly use a pretty Twi’lek as bait. Still, she seemed genuine enough, and did not appear armed either.

Qyren was unfamiliar with Jedi Temples, though after her last visit from a Master she had made enough of an effort to discover that there were many Jedi Temples now, and not all stood for the same set of ideas. There was no guarantee that this Master Nantaris worked with or even knew Master Dorn, but all Jedi were sworn to the Light Side of the Force; for now, that would have to be enough. It was certainly enough to hope that, with his offer, he would help her without cost to her own self-worth, at least.

The problem was where to begin and what to tell him. Part of her felt the desire to simply be candid with the Jedi Master, but she was not about to regale him with the full story of how she came to be here, of why she found herself potentially stranded in nothing more than a dirt-stained, torn cloak and some equally dirty clothing with budding bruises on her arms and lekku (again, thank Kika'lekki for the hood that hid them from wandering eyes).

"I am aware of how many Jedi factions there are," Qyren began, slowing to a halt as she considered her words. "I am only previously acquainted with Jedi from one: the Temple on Ossus. I was told that if I ever changed my mind regarding training, I should contact them there, but my ability to contact them, of even knowing how, is limited. The generous couple who brought me here unexpectedly have done enough for me; if there is a way you could assist me with transport to the Temple, or a contact of some kind to reach out to them, I--" The typical comment on being in his debt stuck in her throat; Jedi weren't slavers, certainly, but there was no point in tempting fate to have him ask for a debt repayment she couldn't in good conscience offer. "I would appreciate it. I'm afraid I have little to offer in the way of credits, and I will not offer myself in exchange for passage either."

Oh. That last bit had, perhaps, been a bit too bold, in spite of her even tone. Qyren's lips compressed and her eyes fell to the collar of his shirt as she felt heat building in her face.

"I'm sure you must get good-will pleas often," she added, very quietly. "I would find a reasonable way to repay you, if you required."

((Apologies for the delay!))

[member="Qyren Leret"]
Nantaris couldn’t help from laughing, but quickly coughed and concealed it.
“My dear girl, anyone striving to be a Jedi is something which should be assisted. I’m no longer with the Republic’s Jedi, but I’m still on their side, I’m still a Jedi even if I don’t follow the Order’s rules. If you wish to go to Ossus, I can get you there…no charge. I assure you that even though you are a most beautiful girl, I would never use your desperate situation as a means of coercion.”

“However, I can offer you one better, if you wished. I could train you as a Jedi. I am a Jedi Master even if I don’t get invited to the tea parties anymore. But either way, I am not one to deny a person in need, especially one wanting to join our little association. My ship…if these buzzards ever let me take off…has a full training area, and my second in command is another Jedi.”

He gently used the Force to sense the other woman. He could certainly feel her connection to the Force, but he was not skilled enough to determine the relative potential and strength without a closer examination.

“So either way I’m willing to help. I head the Freespace Rangers, a group dedicated to defeating slavers, Sith and whatever nasties lurk out on the rim.”

What are the chances? she thought again, staring through him as she processed her good luck. At least, she had a ride to Master Dorn's Temple; at most, she had the potential to start training with a Master immediately, and, not only one, but potentially two. A mini Temple that traveled through space with a focus on stopping those who would do harm to good people. It was an idea she appreciated. Master Dorn, though, had proven himself; she did not know this strange Jedi Master aside from his good will.

With a start indicated by the sudden sweep of her eyes over their environment, Qyren suddenly realized they were standing in an abandoned store, cut off from sight, completely alone. Thus far, at least, nothing had gone wrong, and he had done nothing to indicate he was anything other than completely trustworthy and upstanding.

Tempting fate, she warned herself.

"Yes," she agreed. "Master Nantaris, I would be very grateful to begin training with you, and I would like to meet the other members of your group." A man's companions often said as much about him as the man himself. Once she met them, she would have a better idea of if she should commit to being his trainee-- padawan-- or ask to continue her journey to Ossus.

[member="Qyren Leret"]
Nantaris nodded. “Sure, come and meet the happy crowd,” he said with a smile. He always appreciated chances to strut in with a new Twi’lek, even if this one was probably off limits if she was going to become his Padawan. He was not a Paddy-Poker after all!

Leading her out and through the maze of corridors he came at last to a lounge connected to a docking tube. Through the windows, the shape of a powerful looking corvette was connected to the station.

Sitting or standing in the lounge was an assortment of people, all of which seemed to be in Nantaris’ posse. One of them was clearly a Jedi, wearing more traditional robes and being a bit younger than Nantaris. A blue Twi’lek was fiddling with some piece of tech, not bothering to look up when Nantaris entered. A batter old droid stood by the doorway. The half dozen others were a collection of humans, non-humans, men and women. All looked sufficiently tough to be mercenaries or soldiers.

“Rangers, this is…wait, I don’t know your name I think,” he said, turning to the Twi’lek.
“Great start, boss,” the Twi’lek said laconically. She looked up. “So, can we leave this station, or did you get distracted on the way there?” she added.
Nantaris sighed. “I ran into this young lady on the way back. I said we’re leaving in 4 hours, regardless of what they say. Anyway, so this is Scindia, this is Myr, and this bucket of bolts is D-43,” he said, introducing the Jedi, the Twi’lek and the droid in turn. He introduced the others too.
Raloph Scindia stepped forward and offered a hand. “Pleased to meet you, Miss. Are you joining us?” He offered a sideways look at Nantaris at that.
“That’s up to her. She wants to be a Jedi, and she might end up training with us.”

As she entered the room, Qyren's gaze swept over the large assortment of individuals, most looking ready for combat in spite of the relaxed atmosphere. Her focus was only pulled away by Nantaris's botched introduction, which was sufficiently mortifying enough to draw her full attention. Qyren was embarrassed at her own lack of manners; Master Nantaris was right. In her single-minded push for information and assistance, she had never answered his query about her name. Her discomfort was lost in the back-and-forth banter of Nantaris and his command crew, an old and comfortable camaraderie overlaying their interactions.

She smiled when Raloph offered his hand politely, studying his face as she reached out to return the gesture. Something about the way he looked at Nantaris implied this was not the first time he had unexpectedly brought someone 'home'; although it was none of Qyren's business, she was suddenly a little more comfortable with how direct she had been earlier. She would have hated for there to be a misunderstanding, and Nantaris's reply-- both to the question and the slanted look-- showed that he and Qyren mutually understood what her position would be when she joined his crew.

"It's nice to meet you as well," she offered, then glanced up at Nantaris. "And I'm Qyren Leret. Qyren is fine."

There was still no Force to guide her one way or the other. Like the last time this choice had come before her, she had to make this decision on her own. Ossus... or this unknown, well-composed group of anti-slavers?

"I would still like to formally train with you, if you don't mind," Qyren agreed quietly, letting go of her indecision. She would see where this choice led her and take her life a step at a time as she went. Everything she did now was new and uncertain, every step unsteady as fate unrolled, fluctuating, before her. She had to assume that, like the routine existence she had led on Aikhibba, she would learn from this new life as well. It might simply be a cascade of experience and understanding rather than the steady trickle she had known before. Her training, at least, would be eye-opening.

She was ignorant of what, specifically, padawans learned other than the tricks she had seen or heard of Jedi using before, though she assumed there must be something more to it than just 'wave a hand and think of what you want'. If that were all it took, she likely would have done something by accident by now. Nantaris, she assumed, would provide the majority of her teaching, unless he usually shared the experience with Raloph; both of those topics were things she would eventually have to ask them, and she certainly hoped she had the time for it. Her eyes darted again to large assorted group of individuals. With all of the Rangers in attendance, it was a conversation she much preferred to save for later.

[member="Qyren Leret"]
Nantaris nodded in agreement. Now at least he had a name!
“Excellent, Qyren. I would be happy to teach you, and Raloph can help out too.”
“I’m glad to hear I’m included,” Scindia said with a raised eyebrow.
“Indeed, indeed. Come aboard, my dear. Rest of you lot, back here three hours. I don’t suspect they’ll pull out their fingers before then. Don’t get into trouble.”

Thus dismissed, Nantaris headed aboard the Liberator. It was a large ship, certainly, but it was still rather cramped because it had so many crew and functions.
Nantaris led his prospective Padawan to the training room, a chamber with weapon racks and various droids and remotes.
“I’m not the sort to ask for extravagant pledges of loyalty, Qyren. However, I will ask for one promise: Never side or ally with a Sith. They are my enemy now and always, and I will not side with them. That path is one which leads only to ruin. Other than that though, welcome to the Liberator. If you have questions, now’s the time to ask.”

At Master Nantaris's insistence, Qyren followed him onto the Liberator, gaze shuttling back and forth to take in what she could of the ship. Out of respect, she lowered the hood of her cloak as they walked, comfortable with the companionable silence since he seemed to have a location in mind. When Nantaris led her into the training room, Qyren listened intently while giving herself the opportunity to appraise the room. Weapons, orbs of indeterminate purpose, and other articles littered racks and shelves. Some things Qyren recognized; most she did not.

It was only after he turned to her expectantly that she remember he was actually waiting on a response-- and questions-- from her. Qyren just looked at him for a moment, startled.

"I think that is a promise I will easily manage to keep," Qyren finally assured him with a smile. "I have... so many questions." Jedi had the ability to make her feel at ease, to encourage her to share her thoughts when otherwise she might hesitate. The young woman didn't believe it was something they did consciously; there was simply something about them that breathed a sense of trust and peace when she was in their presence. It all may have been in her expectations of Jedi, her understanding of them as peacekeepers and truly compassionate beings. Now, it led to her desire to answer Nantaris directly and honestly, as she did rarely with anyone outside of her parents. Qyren studied him as the silence lengthened; his eyes were frank and kind. He was being patient enough about her needing to adjust to the situation, to find the right words for him. If he was to become her Jedi Master, she had to trust him and answer him honestly where she could. Their relationship could only build if she was willing to build that partnership with him.

"I know the terms 'padawan' and 'Master', but I don't fully understand what a padawan is other than a Jedi's student. What and how do I learn? Are our actions tied to our own personal beliefs? I know you say you aren't affiliated with a Temple, but you are still a Jedi. What code do you follow when determining your actions? How do we--" She cut herself off from a continuing deluge of words, an unusual amount coming from her, and dropped her gaze for a moment. Collecting herself, she sighed faintly. "I'm sorry. I do have so many questions about being a Jedi, about what our purpose is and how we know when and where to protect others, and every answer you give will lead to another question. I hope some will simply be the questions I already have."

Which means I need to give him the chance to answer one at a time so I can see if they are answered before I have to ask.

[member="Qyren Leret"]
Nantaris tilted his head to the side as the silence lengthened. He was about to ask if she was alright when she began a deluge of questions.
“A Padawan is just another name for Apprentice. Any skilled trade has masters of the craft and apprentices who learn from them. So you’re a student, yes, but you’re also your own tutor. I can teach you how to open yourself to the Force, help you learn, but most of it comes down to you. If you do the work and make the effort you will be a great Jedi. If you don’t, then you will not be.”

“All your actions and thoughts are coloured by your beliefs. It is impossible to think with total objectivity about a topic, but as Jedi we try and reach a balance. All I can ask of you is that you considered both sides of any argument and to make an informed decision before rushing into it. Too often people let their passions and prejudices cloud their mind. You must be as balanced as you can, as calm as you can.”

“The Jedi Code is too simple, too flat. Trying to live your life by five lines of cryptic poetry…it doesn’t work for me. I live my life by my own code, and in time you will find your own moral compass. I do what I think and know to be right. To never harm the innocent and never reprieve the guilty. To aid the helpless and punish the harmful. There’s more to life than that, but only until you have experience of the greys between black and white will you know what is right and wrong.”

“Being a Jedi is not easy, Qyren. It is a supreme dedication to a cause which many will not thank you for. But remember, if you are a Jedi you do not become a machine. Our emotions, passions and minds are our greatest distinctives, they’re what make us alive. The Jedi of old wanted to squash all emotion, but that is flawed just as much as allowing it to dominate your life.”

“Does that answer round one of the question game?”

Some of what he said seemed logical and some she knew she would have to put into practice in order to understand it. The Force was alien to her, after all. When she began to feel he was contradicting himself, Qyren tried to remember his words exactly as he had said them and file them away for later to consider and interpret on her own time, when she wasn't busy taking advantage of the opportunity to learn and have her questions answered so that she would be able to bother him with them less at a later date.

Only until you have experience of the greys between black and white will you know what is right and wrong.

Qyren looked down, overlapping her hands before herself. She almost felt the blaster in her grip again and could visualize the speeder veering off-course to collapse the side of the building.

Did he die?

"Yes, Master." Her gaze rose to his. "Or no." Did he mean was I done asking questions or that he was ready for round two? Her brow furrowed. "You said that you would teach me, but that Master Scindia would help. If you and he are both my masters, will you teach me different things? Will I be your padawan, or his, or both?"

She paused, then added, "And where and when do we start?" The ship was docked for three more hours; doubtless, Nantaris, like his crew, had things to accomplish in that interim. Qyren would go where he needed, since it would provide her with additional insight into his character and since she would eventually need to check in with Rawnie and Lor to let them know she had found a lift.

[member="Qyren Leret"]
“Scindia will help out in some areas he’s better at than me. He’s good with twin blades and mind trick and such. You’re my Padawan, but training is a communal effort.”

“We’ll start when the ship leaves here. If you have anything to do on the station I suggest you do so now.”
He reached into his belt and offered her a commlink. “Anything happens, call me, channel 119.”

Qyren accepted the gift from him and tucked it immediately into the pouch with her meager amount of money. That answered a question she had yet to ask.

"The only thing I need to do is let the people who brought me here know I won't be moving on with them, and I can't do that for another hour or more." They had left the ship when Qyren did to handle their own station-related needs and the rendezvous time wasn't for quite a while yet. As she turned toward the exit, sensing the dismissal in Nantaris' words, she glanced around the training room again, more for curiosity's sake than any other reason. She smiled fleetingly at Nantaris when she made it back around to him.

"Thank you for the tour, Master."

[member="Qyren Leret"]
“You’re welcome! Here, buy yourself something nice if you want,” Nantaris said. He reached into his pouch and counted out three fifty credit chips and handed them to her.

When she was gone Nantaris went to see his friend Scindia.
“So, it seems we’ve got a new Paddy.”
“Who just happens to be a purple Twi’lek?” Scindia said innocently.
“Entirely incidental, I assure you! Anyway, you up for it?”
“She seems committed. She’ll do well. I’ll have Myr settle her in when she gets back.”
“Good. I’m going to get a drink, then later I’m going to tell those port officials we’re leaving.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom