Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Form Follows Function

DENON
DC-DEN-0073

[member="Darell Irani"] | [member="Danger Arceneau"]

Not every experiment would bring on desirable results and Gerion was beginning to be of the opinion that the experiment with the Techno Union had run its course. Corporate governance had not been as streamlined and decisive as he would have liked. It was a twisted mockery of his original vision. It embittered him to think about, but why wouldn't it? It had sprung from his brow. Gerion could have spent the majority of his life campaigning for the necessary reform, but he would need assistance. Mistakes had been made, so now it was time to move forward and learn from them.

There was a problem, however. Gerion was fast arriving towards the conclusion that some entities just weren't meant to be fixed or revitalized. It couldn't be done. One could look to any number of Imperial "Remnants" and see that. He doubted he was alone in thinking as much, but he would have liked to hear where opinions two of the more powerful corporations seated on the Executive Council stood before deciding on anything. Even putting aside the influence they wielded, Arceneau and Irani were two of his most trusted colleagues. Their opinions on how to proceed with the Techno Union would weigh heavily on his.

He invited them to join him on Denon in one of Hegemonic Automaton's local distribution centers. The conference room would certainly afford them the privacy they needed. Even if there were any eavesdroppers, they were only droids. Their programming would inhibit them from properly assessing whatever they heard, much less try to do anything malignant with it. Gerion waited idly for either of their arrivals.

Hira Mitsae

Ain't No Rest For The Wicked
[SIZE=10.6667px]DENON[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.6667px]DC-DEN-0073[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.6667px]------[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.6667px][member="Gerion Ardik"] | [member="Danger Arceneau"][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]Denon was a capital of commerce and industry. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]A proud testament that not all had forgotten the values of capitalism. Saiba Group was already looking for opportunities to insert themselves into the equation; buying of land for the construction of their own facilities, buying of buildings for the more administrative sides of the company and extending feelers to see how well the government was holding up after the entire south-flank of the Republic had dissolved in the face of the Sith’s victory at Contruum.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]"Sector Besh-24 has recently gone through some economical downturn, mister Irani." Ash was a new addition to his entourage. Saiba was always looking for cutting edge applications in the technological field. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]Ashley and her sister were a representation of that. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]Some CEOs employed genetically enhanced humans as aides. Others used HRDs. Irani picked a different road. A mixture between biological engineering and cybernetics Ash was not entirely a FemBot and neither was she completely organical. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]"Projections for the following years?" he asked, while scribbling his signature on an offered datapad by Ash's sister.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]"We believe that our arrival in that sector will inject enough funds into the micro-economy that it will once again thrive. At least, if we commit to the investment." [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]Darell looked up, some amusement made apparent.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]"Should we?"[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]Ashley frowned. She did not share the amusement of her creator.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]"Yes, clearly. The infrastructure is top-notch and provides us with direct access to the core industries of Denon. The only reason the prices are so low is the hesitation of investors in the face of the Republic's demise and the possible arrival of the Sith Empire on their doorstep. This will clearly not last for long. We should buy in, before the market stabilizes."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]The CEO nodded, which prompted Ashley to look back at her datapad - believing her point was made.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]"Alright. Make the calls, but I got an appointment with Ardik right now. So the signatures will have to wait."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]With that he stepped out of the transport which had landed on the platform a few minutes ago. Danger's ship was already situated on an adjacent landing pad. It was interesting that she was invited as well, Darell hadn’t received a lot of details from Gerion, but knowing the Umbaran he wouldn’t have simply asked him to come for something trivial.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]That was what the HoloNet and comm arrays were for, afterall. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]After a few more minutes Darell arrived at the conference room that already held Gerion and Danger.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]"Gerion, Danger." Irani would greet with a nod and a smile to the duo.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]"[/SIZE][SIZE=10.6667px]So what’s this all about?[/SIZE][SIZE=10.6667px]"[/SIZE]

Danger had arrived first, preceding Darell by mere minutes. The droid mogul exchanged pleasantries with the Trade Queen until Irani entered, at which point it was time to get down to business. "Darell, I'm glad you could make it. I understand this is short notice, but it is of considerable enough importance." Gerion said. He really did not like using first names during meetings such as these. Since Mister Irani had dropped both of theirs, of course, it would have been out of place to do otherwise. The Umbaran gestured for both of his guests to be seated and, once they were, they could get to the meat of the discussion.

"The Techno Union has entered into something of a low point, to put it politely. Now, the both of you are some of my more trusted, respectable colleagues. And between the three of us, we can push whatever legislation we need through the Techno Union's executive council. However, that would imply that we unanimously believe the Techno Union can be repaired within the parameters of its current structure, which I myself have begun to seriously doubt."

This truly was not a conversation Gerion wanted to have. But there were talks of the Union wanting to sack the Cartel world of Sleheyron. Even after coming to an agreement to dispense of the worlds of Nal Hutta and Nar Shadda, they remained stubbornly within the Union's borders. This sort of disjointed inconsistency, coupled with a stagnating rate of expansion, didn't bode well for the future. Not in Gerion's eyes.

"Quite simply, I believe the Techno Union is broken. It's time to start over. I would first know whether or not you've both come to similar conclusions before I commit to acting on this."

Hira Mitsae

[SIZE=10.6667px]Irani listened patiently to what Gerion had to say. To say he was surprised was to make quite the understatement - the last thing he expected was for Ardik to become dispassionate about the Techno Union, but then again… it was heading into a direction that confused the corporate mogul. A direction that pained him greatly, but was to be expected.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]"I was not going to say anything myself, because I know you were quite fond of our little project with the Techno Union, Ardik, but I have to agree." Darell walked over to the transparisteel window that looked over Denon’s citiscape. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]It only served reminded him on the hopes they had when the Techno Union was established.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]"As I see it the Techno Union has served its purposes. We propped up the Abrion Corporate Alliance specifically to root out the Rebel Alliance and curb the expansion of the Red Ravens, without exhausting the Tion Cluster with a prolonged war effort."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]A shrug.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]"We succeeded. The immediate area is pacified and commerce flows without the nonsensical 'Selectivism' nationalizing our property anymore."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]He looked back to Gerion.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]"Start over, you say. I assume you have something specific in mind?"[/SIZE]

Gerion gave a soft huff. If fondness over certain things prevented his colleagues from giving honest assessment... Well, he would have to not become so fond of things in the future, wouldn't he? He had never let such a trviality as 'fondness' influence his opinions where it concerned other people. Not that Gerion could remember, anyway. There was that one time with the intern who was dead-set on starting her own frozen yogurt restaurant. As if that were some truly revolutionary idea that would definitely be at home in Lianna City's business district... Sometimes muted agreement had to be given just to shut people up. Or he could fire them, as he did roughly a few days later when she still prattled on about it.

This, however, was a matter of galactic economics and intrigue. Not dairy products.

"Well, I had never considered the Techno Union as a disposable tool." He replied. "Perhaps I ought to have. Would have saved me more than a few gray hairs."

The removal of the Red Ravens and the Selectivist menace had been important. There was no question of that. The Outer Rim was now a much better off place because of it. The Hutt Cartel was at least more predictable and, potentially, controllable entity than the Ravens were. Leaving them to fester could be acceptable, all things considered. "I have no specifics. Of course, a looser coalition of businesses- including but not limited to ourselves -unconcerned and untroubled with the realm of politics and governance, would be the starting point."

Gerion folded his hands on the desk. "No Foremen, no departments, no burgeoning political process; just mutual trust and cooperation."

Hira Mitsae

[SIZE=10.6667px]"So something akin to our established Hegemony, but less… [/SIZE][SIZE=10.6667px]exclusive[/SIZE][SIZE=10.6667px]?" it was something to think about, at the very least. The Tion Hegemony had received plenty of success over the years. They had all become [/SIZE][SIZE=10.6667px]quite[/SIZE][SIZE=10.6667px] rich because of it. But perhaps it [/SIZE][SIZE=10.6667px]was[/SIZE][SIZE=10.6667px] time to expand into a more open-minded approach, pull in new blood and new ideas.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]"I admit, I do enjoy the idea of not having to concern ourselves with holding territory and the sort. At the end of the day it was just detracting from the actual business."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]He pondered about it for a while.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]"And I guess we would simply vote if we need to make a common stance on a problem or subject?"[/SIZE]

[member="Darell Irani"] [member="Gerion Ardik"]

Danger made herself useful by gathering round drinks for the trio. If anything, their years together gave the woman an inkling on how each preferred their poison. Rotating her wrist, the amber liquid swished lightly round the lowball glass. They had a point, and truth in fact, things were moving along in a more personal matter that begged a few questions on what she considered to be important. She ain't no young blood anymore and time was ticking.

"If there is one thing I do know gentlemen," Danger began, "is that influence over the trade routes don't require us to physically own dirt plots from here to the Tingal Arm." She went ambling round the office until she drapes herself down upon her seat.

"Much like Etti..." A gesture of her glass came" we do just fine doing what we do best.."

Gerion gave an agreeing nod to Danger. Given her own substantial galactic influence that didn't hinge on controling the governments of vast stretches of space... Well, this was probably an assessment she had made decades ago. The same could probably be said to Darell. Really, it was Gerion who was the last person to arrive to this conclusion. Already he could feel the shame burning on the back of his neck, but instead he elected to focus on what wonderful things could be accomplished now that three business tycoons were all in agreement.

"Like the Hegemony?" The Umbaran echoed his colleague. "Perhaps. Then again, the Hegemony also did concern itself with the affairs of the Tion Cluster. Like you said, a focus that ultimately distracted from the real business of running our companies."

It dawned on Gerion that, perhaps, it would have been more profitable for him to sell droids to the Silver Jedi rather than pull his hair out when they established dominion over parts of the Tion Cluster. More's the pity. He should have just been impressed with himself for getting this far considering his propensity to sneer at and ignore most galactic governments- who had more buying power than could reasonably be calculated. Time for a change in policy.

"I suppose if it came down to it, voting would be the optimal way to resolve any issues. Rarely did the Hegemony clash and never did we have to call things to a vote. But that sort of understanding may be hard to come by in a more open organization."

Hira Mitsae

[SIZE=10.6667px]Darell took the offered glass. His attention was still on Denon’s citiscape though - in a lot of ways it was nostalgia that made him move right now. A sense of [/SIZE][SIZE=10.6667px]longing[/SIZE][SIZE=10.6667px] to a time just a decade ago when things had seemed so much simpler. When idiots who bid fifty something billion credits on a simple lightsaber shoved themselves in deep debts from which they would never recover.[/SIZE][SIZE=10.6667px] The times of economical integrity.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]“So basically what you are saying is that we need a loose federation.” the businessman offered to his college. After which he took a sip from the drink. [/SIZE][SIZE=10.6667px]Oh.[/SIZE][SIZE=10.6667px] Danger would receive a grateful nod, now that was some of that good stuff.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]A Trade Federation. Calling back to centuries ago when a different Trade Federation had been the premier commerce guild within the Republic. Their representatives had lobbied in the Senate for the advantage of the companies linked together in that Federation.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]Quite… lucrative.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]He liked the idea of it. [/SIZE]

Gerion accepted the drink as presented to him. It was alcohol, which he usually did not partake in. However, considering he was discussing secession from the Techno Union and had been having several epiphanies, an exception would have to be made. "Essentially." He replied, pausing momentarily to take a sip. Then he continued. "We could once again refounding a-... the Trade Federation- and I do mean actually refounding it. I think several upstarts attempted to do so over the years, but they lacked administrative skill and our collective resources." Those upstarts had been so short lived it was difficult to remember if they even did anything before their ultimate collapses.

Since the end of the Gulag Plague, there hadn't been a true successor to the Trade Federation. Unless one wanted to count the Trade Conglomerate; which, aside from the garish practice of naming entire star systems after themselves, had not been particularly active as of late. Also they were founded by a slaver, which was truly an unacceptable development. Despite the star system, they would fade fast if they had not done so already.

"Well, it is a weighty legacy to seize. A weight I think we are all more than worthy and capable of bearing."

[member="Gerion Ardik"] [member="Darell Irani"]

"A neutral Trade Federation." Danger said in emphasis. "Ain't worth it if we can't trade our wares due to embargoes and the like. Neutrality has done a number for Arceneau Trade- ain't no place right now one don't see one of my ships - ships that take your goods as well as others. We are seeking to retain a profit. Ensuring that neutrality is as good as maintaining a reputation,gentlemen."

Danger gave a slight incline of her glass to the duo. "And a good reputation is all one really has. " she brought the drink up to her lips, taking a fiery sip. That was her two credits worth.

Crossing her right leg over her left, she let her verdant gaze drift from one man to the next. Both were Galactic movers such as she. For the briefest of moments, the amount of sway made her recall the Star Cabal she helped neutralize years back. In their own way, those present here held the same kind of propulsion.

However, Darell and Gerion were a different kind of bred, if pragmatic. Senseless destruction was not their style, and why she respected the men. Self made with no crutch of the would be honky religions just like her.

At least, as far as Danger knew...

Hira Mitsae

[SIZE=10.6667px]Irani waved his hand.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]“Most of my business is already strictly neutral. I sell to the Sanctum through Mon Calamari Hypernautics and the old contracts I retained from Baktoid. I deal with the Sith, Mandalorians, dealt with the Fringe and the Protectorate… think the only government entity my company does not have dealings with is the Hutt Cartel. As I understand it they keep bouncing checks.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]“Without a territory to defend we can all push for this neutrality.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]The businessman looked back. First sizing up Danger, before checking on Gerion. He had no doubt in his mind that Arceneau had the balls to seize this opportunity and push with it, but did Ardik have the same audacity?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]He was a good friend. Highly capable and efficient. But he wasn’t known to taking risks. No matter how much opportunity this presented, it was a risk all the same.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]“So, resign from the Executive Council of the Techno Union and set up the Trade Federation?”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]It was a question and a statement in one.[/SIZE]

Neutrality. Exactly. It was hard to establish a reputation of neutrality as a member of a government that was aligned with the One Sith and with hostilities beginning to simmer with the Hutt Cartel. Thankfully real trouble on the One Sith front was avoided since Techno Union aid missions to the One Sith were rather sparse. It was an alliance borne of necessity when Republic-sponsored terrorist organizations sprung up on their former territories. Few other people saw it that way. They preferred the term "Sith puppets" and usually made bombastic claims to that affect.

Well, far be it for Gerion to devote too much time thinking about those without two brain cells to rub together. "If we're to ensure our claims of neutrality aren't instantly deflated, resigning from the Executive Council will be a necessity." It was an unfortunate truth, but if neither of them had any interest in dabbling within the Union's politics, there was no point in remaining. Besides, if Gerion intended to try this neutral approach in earnest this time, he would have to go the extra mile.

"I am willing, provided I am not alone in doing so."

Hira Mitsae

[SIZE=10.6667px]And there it was. Perhaps he had underestimated the anger Gerion felt for the current direction the Techno Union was pushing for -- it was still a mystery to him why they were going to war with the Hutt Cartel after they had decided to give them their piece of Hutt Space. Darell still wasn’t sure how the Union was going to declare war without the Executive Council’s acceptance, but he supposed it didn’t matter at this point.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]They would be far away from that nonsense soon enough.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]“I am willing. I think this development has the most potential for profit in it.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]That was the most important thing. A thing that some corporations forgot, [/SIZE][SIZE=10.6667px]profit[/SIZE][SIZE=10.6667px] should dictate their actions as a company, not emotions or personal preference: he didn’t like the Silver Jedi, but their credits weren’t made of spacepoly money, so he would take their business all the same.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]He took another sip from the glass and his attention shifted to Danger.[/SIZE]

[member="Darell Irani"] [member="Gerion Ardik"]

Danger gave a subtle tap of her fingernails against the side of her glass. The corner of her mouth perked, her gaze drifting from one man to the next. Well, things were certainly changing; but that was the law of the 'Verse. One had to be flexible in order to survive.

"Well you know me gentlemen," she would start with a gesture of her glass in a toast, "I aim for Arceneau Trade and all of our business to not only maintain, but expand across all borders... and keep it that way."

A nod came from her.

"I too, am willing," she told them both. "To a neutral Trade Federation gentlemen," she held her glass high. "May it be profitable and pragmatic as we." the grin would widen in turn.

With the clink of glass, that agreement was made within the confines of that office. The subsequent resignation from Gerion Ardik, Darell Irani, and Danger Arceneau from the Techno Union Executive Council came forthwith.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom