Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Forging a Better Future

Cristi_Balanescu_wolves_of_the_north_cover.jpg

City of Heavenheim
World of Midvinter

Tython had been won; the Sith pushed back to their domains. Thurion, in return, kept his promise; having embarked on one last crusade and emerged victorious, his Jedi days were now over. He'd hung up his lightsaber and robes, retiring with honour after a lifetime of dutiful service, and picked up the crown and sword once and for all. Midvinter was his sole focus from now on, as was the well-being of his ever-growing family. Ahead of being king, he was a husband, a father, a grandfather, and who knows - perhaps one day even a great grandfather! Nothing would please him more.

Let the young and the eager carry the torch, rather than the old and weary. Thurion Heavenshield was not the future of the Jedi Order or the galaxy in general. He was content going down as another relic of a bygone era; the last of a dying breed. Of all the friends and companions he'd served with in his youth, none or very few remained. Given his unfortunate track record of outlasting those around him, he was certain he would live to see the last vestiges of his generation pass into memory. That, it seemed, was his curse.

No, his duty was to his homeworld. This is where he would spend the remainder of his days, devoting every ounce of his himself to the people he served. To that end, he'd requested that the Lord Commander Arden Durane Arden Durane meet with him to discuss matters of security. Arden had been appointed leader of the Lionguard some years prior and answered directly to the Royal Family, tasked with safeguarding House Heavenshield against any possible danger. The Lionguard were the most elite fighting force on the planet, handpicked and trained by the Lion King himself in matters of the sword as well as the Force, and had served with distinction during the Great War.

Awaiting the young commander within the Kingsgrove, a sacred forest comprised solely of great white oaks with red leaves housed within the city, the king kept busy whittling away at a piece of wood; a hobby of his long-neglected, for he cherished woodwork and carpentry in all its forms. Perhaps now he would have time to reopen his workshop in earnest?

"Ah, son of a..." he stuck the side of his thumb between his lips and sucked. Taking into account the kind of life he'd led across several decades, cutting himself with his trusty pocket knife didn't even register as pain anymore, mostly serving as a mere annoyance to the veteran woodcarver.

The war and battle for Tython had been fought and won. The sith were pushed back and Tython could rejoice however there was still much work to be done. The damage was done and of course it would take time to rebuild. However, for those that were from Midvinter that joined the fight had other things to worry about. Thurion left to fight in Tython, and it was now Arden's job to help safeguard Midvinter in his stead until his return. And Thurion did return victorious as he the young Jedi knew that he would.

Now that Thurion had returned, the commander was summoned to the Kingsgrove. A truly remarkable place, a place fit for for those noblest and most honorable it seemed like. His spirits were immediately lifted once he entered this place. Not that they were down before, but it made him feel so much better than he did. He perhaps thought it was mainly Thurion was home. He was a second father to him, plus not to mention the Jedi Master got nervous when he wasn't around. Almost as if things were always going to be okay with his presence there.

The Jedi neared his destination, walking with his hands behind his back as he could see Thurion in sight. Arden glanced up slightly as a red leaf that fell from above brushed his cheek. The Jedi chuckled slightly as he reached up and grabbed the left and held it in the palm of his hand.

He smiled slightly, and then Nina Heavenshield Nina Heavenshield came to his mind. She was indeed someone very dear to the Commander.

He let the leaf fall to the ground and he cleared his throat slightly.

"Your grace, its great to see you." Arden said as he went down on one knee as a formal salute to the High King of Midvinter. The Jedi stood up and a smile upon his face. "Your people rejoice at your return, as do I."

Thurion Heavenshield Thurion Heavenshield

"Mm," he perked up at the arrival of the Lord Commander, popping the thumb out of his mouth as he stood. The bleeding from the small cut had already clotted owed to grizzled skin. "There you are! Rise, Arden, rise," he returned the overly formal greeting by way of patting him on the shoulder where he knelt. As he did, Thurion wrapped his thumb in a small piece of cloth and tied it in place with a simple knot.

"Let me have a look at you, dear boy," he sized the young man up by looking him over from head to toe. "You look well, son. I daresay you've grown in my absence. Folks've been feeding you well!" The king brushed remnants of a fallen leaf from the otherwise pristine suit of armour denoting him as the top leader of a most exclusive and elite knightly order.

Turning to face the great white oak, blue eyes marvelled at red leaves. "I often come here for peace and quiet. People don't bother you here; no diplomats, no delegates... Just you, yourself, and your thoughts. Speaking of thoughts..."

Deliberately he turned back to Arden, brow slightly raised inquisitively.

"My daughter mentioned last night the two of you spent some time together at the College while I was away," he decided to prod him for a reaction. "That you enjoyed a nice dinner together before your return to Heavenheim." Before Arden could interject, he added, "I'm glad to hear you're getting to better know your charge, Nina especially. Can't say I much relish the thought of her spending her days alone with nought but books to keep her company."

Again he turned away, showing his profile to the young man with his hands casually behind his back and trying not to break face. Let the poor boy stew for a bit.

"Don't you agree?"

Arden Durane Arden Durane

"It's good to see you, your grace." Arden said as he stood proud in front of the High King. He chuckled slightly and nodded his head. "Yes, I'm getting fed as good as can be expected."

He spoke of this location and the young Jedi smiled. He could completely understand what Thurion was talking about. While he learned of the battlefield at an early age and the ways of the soldier,Jedi. Looking in from the outside some might think this would be all he knew. He spoke some of this the evening he had dinner with Nina.

"It's a wonderful place Thurion, truly." Arden took a deep breath and took a look around the place once more, actually getting a full look at the trees and the environment. It was very calming and peaceful.

Then Thurion brought up NIna and he cleared his throat and then spoke somewhat abruptly. "Yes of course, its better to learn more about those that you are protecting." Arden looked away for a second before catching Thurion's eyes again. "I was making a round at College and bumped into Nina. She's great, truly. I uh, admire her deeply. She's very intelligent and captivating for a woman, I mean a princess." Arden giggled slightly before he completely recomposed himself like that didn't just happen. Even then there was a confused look on his face like he was surprised that just happened. Honestly because that never happened before.

"She's great." Arden cleared his throat again and placed his hands behind his back. "I enjoyed spending time with her and getting to know her."

"So, how are you?"
Arden inquired with a smile.

Thurion said nothing but merely watched the young man intently as he stuttered the finest response he could come up with in what he knew was an awkward and likely frightening situation. It was a father's prerogative to put someone on the spot when it came to his daughter, especially his eldest child. Regardless of whether there were any romantic feelings between the two, Thurion saw the telltale signs of sparks in Arden's reaction.

"Good," was his only response, patting the poor lad on the shoulder while smiling fondly. "Yes, very good."

Arden was quick to then change the subject, focusing on the King's health instead.

"You know," he bent over to pick up a flat pebble before looking out across the pond, "I went in knowing, one way or the other, that it would be my last ride as a Jedi, so to speak. I'd promised Coci I'd come home and devote myself to her and to Midvinter, and I wasn't going to break that promise. However, I also vowed that if defending Tython, the birthplace of all Jedi, would require my sacrifice, then so be it. I was ready... to die."

"But then something clicked,"
he continued once the pebble was sent skipping across the pond's still surface, creating ever-expanding rings upon the water. "As I witnessed the golden gates of the All-Father appear in the distance, there was an intense longing to see my family again. Not the dead, but the living. My children, my grandchildren. My wife. As much as I was willing to lay down my life, I wasn't willing to let them all go."

He sighed, then turned to Arden with renewed purpose.

"Family, Duty, Honour. Those are our words. Family comes first, always. Not some old fool's notion of a glorious end. I still have work to do here, where it matters. And to that end... Come, there is something you must see."

The reason for summoning the Lord Commander in the first place. Following a narrow path through the woods, they strode a short distance until coming across nothing less than the Jedi Forge itself, rescued from Tython to prevent its destruction in the event of a Sith victory.

"This," he presented the truly ancient contraption, "is the Forge. A million and more lightsabers were created using this very device before there was even such a thing as a Republic or an Empire. It was brought to Midvinter for safekeeping and will require close guarding for the foreseeable future. Knowledge of its location is strictly on a need-to-know basis, else our enemies will surely come seeking to pilfer or corrupt. I know, Coci knows, and now, as my Head of Security, you know too."

Arden laughed heartily as Thurion spoke of 'last ride. Not that it was funny, but the Commander knew this was not his last journey. While Thurion was older and he was looking towards the future. There were still a great deal of people that would look to him for advice and counsel. He knew the the King would not turn his back on them in their times of need. He was glad the talk had shifted from Nina Heavenshield Nina Heavenshield

While Arden put his duty's first and foremost, he couldn't help but not have Nina on the back of his mind ever since they shared that dinner together. She was a wise and beautiful woman, anytime he was with her was a new take on life it seemed.

"You still have many years ahead you, my king." Arden declared towards Thurion Heavenshield Thurion Heavenshield "Your guard are well trained, and they grow each day as does their commander. I admit, I still have much to learn. I often wonder if I was elevated to the rank of Master to soon."

The Master looked upon the forge as Thurion had spoke of its history and splendor. Brought back here for safekeeping.

"This is where it shall remain your grace. No enemy will penetrate these defense and gain access to this forge. I thank you for your trust Thurion. It means a great, great deal to me."

Arden wasn't aware that he had touched upon the very thing that had come to trouble the King's thoughts these last few years; indeed, the greatest reason for his exodus from the Jedi Order to which he'd happily and dutifully devoted his whole life. Though he had no doubt the galaxy at large still listed him by his Jedi title, Thurion felt he had to put aside his other duties in favour of giving Midvinter the sovereign she deserves.

"That is my fear," he confessed to the Lord Commander, finding himself glancing back the way they came. Towards home.

"That I am doomed to watch the woman I love succumb to old age and poor health. That one day I'll wake up and find that I must lay my wife to rest." He tilted his head back, looking past the red leaves towards the sun. "That I am fated to face my twilight years alone, as my blessed father did..."

Thurion idly dug the tip of his boot into the soil and kicked up a tiny patch of dirt.

"I need you to understand, Arden; I intend to spend every waking moment in her company, as often as circumstances permit. The fate of the stars above no longer concerns me. Midvinter concerns me. Coci concerns me, and the time we have left. I've wasted too much of it trying to save a galaxy that's got zero interest in being saved."

In spite of the defeated look on his face, the High King offered the young captain of the royal guard a smile. He knew where Arden's own heart lay. The notion of them ending up happy together proved enough consolation for his darker thoughts.

"If there are three pieces of advice this old fool might impart on yourself, here they are: Seize the day," he counted on one finger. "Don't second-guess matters of the heart," he counted twice. "And third, tell the girl you love her," he counted thrice.

Thurion gave the lad a playful pat on the cheek.

"Before somebody beats you to it."

As he turned to retrace their steps to the Kingsglade's entrance, the topic returned to the Forge.

"I have commissioned the creation of a new security detail dedicated to the protection of the Forge. I'd like you to work with Commander Uthgard of the City Guard and hold a series of tryouts. Have the most promising candidates present themselves to me in a fortnight."

We are never truly alone....

Arden thought as he listened the the High King's talk about what his fear was. The Commander couldn't even begin to understand what Thurion was going through. He understood his fear to extent, but alas...Arden was no king and no husband. Whatever the King's fears were, he was more than sure he would face them with strength and courage. He didn't ever want to think about losing a member of the royal family, as it was his duty to protect them. However age and time caught up with all of them, eventually.

When he spoke of spending all of his time with Coci, that was something that he agreed with completely. He was sure she would love that, that seeing them together more now would even strengthen the bonds between them and even raise morale all around of his kingdom. Not that the morale was or is low now, but it would be a welcome sight to see the High King more as well as the queen together. Arden closed his eyes for a moment as he listened to Thurion impart his words on him.

"Your wisdom is always a welcome thing my king. You as well as the royal family are deeply important to all of us." Arden spoke as he mentioned the last bit about telling the girl that he loved them. He chuckled slightly before nodding his head. "Wise advice your grace, as always."

Then talk shifted to the forge once more and Arden cleared his throat before stepping forward and following the king. "Yes your grace, we will no doubt have a strong test of skill and more to determine who is best fit to guard the forge. You will, will be done my king."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom