Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Forcie Killer .22LR Submachinegun Prototype (FK-22P)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusty

Purveyor of Fine Weaponry
d0e124996806b63a45ea1a9f92050855.jpg

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION

PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: Rusty's Custom Arms and Armament
  • Model: FK-22
  • Affiliation: Closed-Market
  • Modularity: No

• Production: Semi-Unique
  • Material: Carbon fiber, alusteel, durasteel, slugthrower components, power cell
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Slugthrower
  • Size: Average
  • Weight: Average
  • Ammunition Type: .22 LR
  • Ammunition Capacity: 50 round magazine, 5,000 round backpack drum

• Reload Speed: Very Slow for the drum, Average for the magazine
  • Effective Range: Personal
  • Rate of Fire: Extreme
  • Stopping Power: Low
  • Recoil: Low
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Insane rate of fire
  • Relatively controllable due to small bullet size
  • Ideal for taking on lightsaber wielders
Strengths:
  • Rate of Fire- The .22LR is a small cartridge, and allows for a short throw bolt that doesn't take long at all to cycle. Rather than relying on gas or recoil to operate the bolt, it's electronically actuated. This not only allows for truly ridiculous rates of fire, it also allows for the rate of fire to be adjustable. At its highest setting, it can empty the 5,000 round drum with alarming rapidity.
  • Controllability- All the bullets in the world don't do you any good if you can't control the weapon. The .22LR has nearly no recoil, and the heavy durasteel barrel ensures that even the cumulative recoil is manageable.
  • Lethal Against Lightsabers- Though the individual rounds are weak, there are enough of them that blocking is nearly impossible. At the maximum rate of fire, you're spitting out 100 bullets a second. Even if the Force User in question is really, really good at blocking projectiles with a lightsaber, the chances of them blocking several hundred sprayed across their entire body are slim. It can happen, but it's not likely.
  • Small Cartridge, Big Mags- Because the .22LR is so small, you can fit a lot of them into not a lot of space. The 5,000 round backpack drum is still fairly small and light, compared to any other backpack designed to hold 5,000 rounds of a particular bullet.
223+and+22.jpg
Weaknesses:
  • Stopping Power- No one .22LR bullet is going to do a whole lot of damage. They can be lethal if they land in just the right spot, but their true strength lies in numbers. Additionally, they're not going to be much good against advanced armor that provides coverage of the entire body. Though they can potentially penetrate soft armor with cumulative impact damage, you're going to want more ass if you want to punch through most battle armor.
  • Range- The .22LR is not renown for its prowess as a sniper round. For close engagements only.
  • Where Did It All Go?- At the maximum rate of fire, it takes about a second to dump out the 50 round mags. The backpack will hold for longer, but you still have to watch your round count. If you get trigger happy, you're going to find yourself out of rounds before the fight has a chance to truly get started, and if you've got an angry Force User on the other end of your barrel, that's going to get you killed.
  • Prototype- The FK-22P is a small run protoype. As such, it doesn't have all of the bugs worked out yet, and doesn't include many features that might be useful, such as EMP/Ion resistance or magazines that can be reloaded in under a century.
DESCRIPTION
This is a concept that's been kicking around Rusty's desk for a while now. He's played with it before, but hasn't really committed it to any sort of production until now.

The FK-22P relies on throwing out a massive amount of bullets to compensate for a lack of firepower. In the past, Rusty has observed that the average Force User will easily stop individual rounds no matter how powerful. He's had some success in the past with taking the opposite approach: small, individually weak rounds spewed out at obscenely high rates of fire.

The electronically actuated short throw bolt is the heart of this weapon. It's adjustable from 1000 rounds per minute to 3,000 rounds per minute. Since the .22LR doesn't throw off much heat, the only concession necessary to heat buildup was a heavy durasteel barrel that can take the strain.

It's fed from either 50 round magazines or a 5,000 round backpack drum. The backpack has an attachment that hooks directly into the magazine port of the weapon and feeds the rounds in exactly the same as the magazine would. Rather than relying on links, it uses an electronic feeding system.

[member="Rusty"] Hello there! I will be looking over your sub with you! More Dakka? The inner Ork in me finds this weaponry could use moar dakka and doesn't make enough of a satisfying sound, which is half the fun of shooting wildly, find me a gun that fires planets at 6,000 ppm (planets per minute), and we will, well, not have enough, but it will be a start! [Bit of an Ork Enthusiast, played them for thirteen years now.]

No issues with the firing rate as Extreme is Extreme and we already have a 2,000 rpm .22LR smg in the real world, I could see a more Ork-inspired version with Star Wars tech having more.

Only have two things on this:

Rusty said:
  • Reload Speed: Very Slow
From the description, it seems the only one that reloads this slow is the backpack drum. The standard mag seems to be able to slide in without too much difficulty [we don't count manually reloading the mag, itself, as part of reload speed], so I would like you to note on it that the Backpack Drum is Very Slow and the 50 round mag is just Average.

The second is a bit of clarity, I know it doesn't have a belt, which is nice, but how prone is this thing to jam when firing full auto?

EDIT: Forgive me, missed something, in your tags, I need you to list your company tier.

Rusty

Iona Immarya said:
The second is a bit of clarity, I know it doesn't have a belt, which is nice, but how prone is this thing to jam when firing full auto?
Since the bolt is electronically actuated, it's not all that prone to jamming. You're not relying on gas or recoil to cycle the bolt, so you're going to reduce or eliminate altogether the more common pain points that come with a weapon with a high cyclic rate. I can put in something like that if you want, but given that no one plays weapon malfunctions straight in a fight, something like that is usually considered fluff.

The other edits have been made. I had originally divided reload speed up, but wasn't sure how having two separate ratings would have gone. Should have gone with my first guess.

[member="Iona Immarya"]

[member="Rusty"]

Rusty said:
At the maximum rate of fire, it takes about a half a second to dump out the 50 round mags.
^This needs to be toned down extremely. That's like 6k rounds in a minute? I'd suggest increasing standard mag size while dropping the rate of fire. To not nerf this sub, since it's got the reload problem weakness, I'd suggest while dropping rate of fire to increase standard mag size so it's more than 50 rounds in it.

Rusty said:
Where Did It All Go?- At the maximum rate of fire, it takes about a half a second to dump out the 50 round mags. The backpack won't last a full minute. If you get trigger happy, you're going to find yourself out of rounds before the fight has a chance to truly get started, and if you've got an angry Force User on the other end of your barrel, that's going to get you killed.

^This weakness works if the gun came only with 50 round mags but in this case the weakness is countered by the 5k round backpack drum. Maybe think about adding lesser accuracy as a weakness?

Rusty said:
Reload Speed- You can change out the 50 round magazines fairly quickly, but reloading the mags in a fight is a pain

^This contradicts this one below:

Rusty said:
Reload Speed: Average for the magazine

Average means just standard/normal reload speed. Push it to Low if you want that weakness to stand.

Rusty

• Halved the rate of fire. Maximum is now 3,000. While the original was mechanically possible, 3,000 brings it closer to stuff that already exists. Plus, it cuts the pucker factor in half.
  • Reworded the reload weakness for clarity. What I meant by reload speed in that instance was the speed with which one can refill the magazine, and I've changed the wording to reflect that.
  • In regards to ammo capacity, that 5,000 round drum will go quick in a firefight. Even with a normal rifle with a normal rate of fire, it's extremely easy to get caught up in the moment and run out of ammo. With this thing, if you don't keep an eye on your round count, you'll be out before you know it, and there's no way to quickly top off the hopper.

[member="Therran Graush"]

Rusty said:
At its highest setting, it can empty the 5,000 round drum in less than a minute.
This is still there, please remove it.

Rusty said:
Magazine Refill Speed- You can change out the 50 round magazines about as well as you could any other rifle, but refilling them is another story altogether.

From a gameplay point of view, this weakness is moot due to the fact that most, if not everyone, will just have magazines filled already prior to combat.

I'd like to see the Personal rating of the Range section as a weakness i.e closer range and we can go ahead and stamp this without further ado.

[member="Rusty"]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom