Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faction Flying Inverted [RTL + Friends]

RIMWARD TRADE LEAGUE
X A G O B A H

Kurayami was finishing leading the rest of Jester Jester Squadron in the basics of how to determine what advantages and disadvantages your craft had when it came to an engagement against dissimilar targets. While doing this he continued going over basic combat maneuvers with them having them simply follow his lead during each. While going over the hammerhead turn with the nuggets, he got a comms ping on a private channel from Ishana and switched to the indicated frequency immediately. "Bloodborn reporting on frequency 134.27. Roger that will inform Jester squad to prep for incoming drones. Thanks for the heads up." Switching back to his previous frequency he opened comms exclusively to his squadron. "Jester Squadron this is it nuggets. Follow me to the marked location, once we enter I will be out of the CZ. You will be alone in this furball except for your squadron mates, work together or get shot down by the drones. Not literally, it's only a buzzer, but treat it as if it were your life and your squadmates on the line. As far as you are concerned in that airspace I do not exist, use what you have learned and you should do fine. Given there were an odd number of you following me I will promote one of you to lead. Jester 5, you are in control once we get there. The success or failure of the team rests on your shoulders."

He cut the comms without waiting to hear any response from any of those behind him as they neared the marked position on his HUD, he dropped the fighter into a steep dive before opening the S-foils and spiraling upwards until reaching FL320 where he leveled out to watch the show below him. It was a prett even back and forth at first, the drones scoring a decent number of hits as the pilots paired off, Jester 5 unsure of what to do panicked and took an early hit while clearing Jester 3's tail when he got a bit sloppy. Eventually the nuggets fell into a better rhythm but all had taken a hit before the first round ended and with only a couple drones to show. Literally two. The odds were not in their favor right now, though seven versus ten was at least slightly better odds.

Vaux quickly swapped frequency, asking VK to keep track of the training frequency before listening. Live training.... Well laser tag but close enough.

"This is CT, Rag Tag Leader. Understood. I'll make sure the ade know enough about what's coming." She then swapped frequency back, and quickly contacted the training squadron. "Alright Rag Tags listen up! You're going to be running a bit of laser tag against some drones. First you'll chase, then they'll chase. So that everything's fair I'll be watching 1000 ft above. I want the best out of you each time got it, ade?"

"You know some of us understand what you're saying, right?" VK gave some choice beeps before Vaux responded, a smile under her helmet.

"You've done messed up. I'm just going to enjoy it more now. Any actual questions before the drones get here?" She heard a few questions. 4 asked about their engine, and 9 asked how to swap to training mode. When the time came though, Vaux punched the throttle to max, turbos whining as the TwinTail shot up 1000 ft. She'd look down, hitting the comms again. "Alright, ade, here they come. Remember you're chasing first. I want to see your best, and 4 keep me posted on those drives." And with that, the chasing round would begin for the Rag Tags.

Ishana Pavanos Ishana Pavanos Rhiza Dural Rhiza Dural Kurayami Bloodborn Kurayami Bloodborn Lossa Darcuhl Lossa Darcuhl Nathan Bloodscrawl Nathan Bloodscrawl Liam Sedaire Liam Sedaire

"Understood." Nathan said respectfully to Roth Tillian Roth Tillian But not warmly. Never warmly.

Nathan headed back to his fighter and quickly activated it's systems. He was growing more used to the crazy ass future tech.

He waited until the other squadrons launched. He saw the rookies he was assigned to. Didn't look like much. Nathan found the best pilots had a tradition of it in the family.

He went over, and they instantly all went quiet, whether they had only been joking and talking before.

"Prepare for take off. You, straighten out that air hose on your flight suit, you'll snag it on something in the cockpit." he said, pointing to a Nautolan man, who quickly complied, Nathan's icy, no nonsense tone letting them know on instinct he would tolerate precisely none of their crap. They would perform to the standards required or they would be washed out. Period.

"Alright Pilots..." Nathan said in a formal but ice cold tone through comms. "We are Nexu Squadron. Like the beast we are named after, we will be ferocious and agile. This is Nexu 1. You will follow my instructions at all times. Is that understood, trainees?"

"We get you sir!" came the unified reply.

"Increase forward by ten percent. Go to maximum speed once we are four thousand feet from the hangar. Dagger formation. Minimum of one thousand feet between craft. Exercise begins at seven thousand feet."

"Roger, Nexu 1!" came the inevitable reply from all the pilots.

They all gunned the engines once they cleared the hangar.

"Prepare to execute basic maneuvers."

Nathan, yanked the throttle back, felt the suit fight the G's and his fighter made a sharp U-turn, the below now above his head, before twisting his craft to reorient, before diving violently towards the canyon before yanking right unpredictably. All Nexu's except Nexu 4 successfully completed these demanding turns and twists, Nexu 4 struggling to follow the others and getting too close to Nexu 7.

"Nexu 4, that was sloppy." Nathan critiqued. "Minimum flight distance is one thousand feet. Rejoin your wingman and will try something else."

Nathan was being harsh on them because he suspected a massive operation would take place soon. They would be flying against battle hardened pilots who would show zero mercy. If they couldn't do basic maneuvers at combat speeds right out the gate they would be slaughtered, more than likely. Crazy ass future tech meant nothing if you lacked the skill, and more importantly, the will to win. He would dig out their killer instinct here and now or he would be failing them and their families.

"I will do more maneuvers, trainees, except you will all attempt to not only chase and follow my lead, but to gain a target lock and hold it for more than a few seconds."

Nathan dived and went into a number of violent twists and turns through the sky that all the others struggled to match. Indeed, Nexu 4 and 6 rapidly lost track of him, and the rest only barely did better, before he out turned them also.

"Maintain formation." he ordered. "If your discipline breaks down in combat you endanger your fellow pilots. You must think as one, but fight as many. Nexu 7, you did somewhat better. 4, you aren't turning fast enough, and your barrel rolls are wobbly. Most of you never got a lock. When you did, it wasn't for more than a second."

Nathan paused. "Again." he ordered.

This time, he swung his fighter upward at maximum speed for a large set of clouds, doing all manner of violent spins and corkscrews with his fighter. This time Nexu 4 was more aggressive, gunning the Surrel for all it was worth, Nexu 7 a close second, matching his corkscrews and crazy turns through pillars of cloud.

The magnificent cloud formations, the speed, it would have stirred exhilaration in most. Not Nathan. He felt nothing at the magnificent sight. There was only the pull of the G-force to him.

Nexu 4 and 7 achieved a target lock that lasted for 3 seconds, the others achieved only 2 second locks before he lost them.

"Better. Still sloppy, and you're still getting a bit closer to each other. But better. Nexu 5, tighten up your sidewinder moves during a chase. Nexu 9, excellent Immelman."

"Thank you, Sir!"

"I would not be thanking me yet. The test isn't over." Nathan replied coldly. "Maintaining combat speeds is essential but sudden decelerations can be equally deadly..."

Nathan dropped his speed very suddenly, feeling his stomach lurch slightly as the other fighters over shot him before performing violent corkscrew maneuvers to try and catch him, this time each one sticking much more tightly to their wingmates but then he engaged the SLAM and the craft rocketed forward beyond it's normal speed and he passed them by before performing another twisted corkscrew dive into the clouds, Nexu 5 and 6 , along with 9 and 10, flew in circles above the clouds waiting for him to emerge while the rest dived and gave chase through the clouds, relying on their sensors to try and find him. He shot upward, flying through their careful circling before unexpectedly decelerating and diving back for the clouds, forcing his squadron to chase him below, using sudden bursts of speed from his slam and unexpected slowdowns to push his Trainees to the limit of their skill to match, though they were starting to follow him more and more. Nexu 11 struggled the most during this bit. He had been pretty average before, but it was obvious by his flying he was becoming more unsettled. Only time could tell.

"Good. Stalk your opponent. Knowing the best moments to attack are as important as actually having the ability to attack. Work together. Entrap the opponent from multiple angles. Now, let's see if you can shake each other. See if you can maintain a target lock on your wing mate for more than a few seconds."

Nathan spun around and and went on an attack run for Nexu 4 and 5, who split up, one diving for him above, the other below. He found himself pleasantly surprised when 5 managed to use his deceleration feint to escape, combining it with a corkscrew move that put him behind Nathan's craft, which Nathan countered with a sudden U-turn and dive below, only to find 4 about to achieve target lock flying up on him from portside. He decelerated, then barrel rolled upward, 45 and 5 engaging their slam drives as he did, the others in his squadron chasing one another, using the high speed moves and feints Nathan had been demonstrating, in most cases in a much more sloppy and crude manner but showing marked improvement from where they had started. A cleverly timed Immelman allowed Nathan to get behind 4 and maintain a 2 second lock before he was forced to break off as 5 dived for him, getting a one second lock before Nathan shook him off, cutting almost all his speed and letting 5 overshoot him, while Nathan managed to achieve a 5 second lock via chasing him, then went after 4, though it took him slightly longer to get 4 in a lock that lasted more than three seconds.

"Stop thinking about the maneuvers. Be them." he advised both. Only 7 and 9 had achieved locks for more than five seconds. This was not a business for the dizzy.

Nathan made a very tight turn and then ordered his pilots to slow to bare minimum speed while diving for the canyon. Once flying inside it, he received the message from Ishana Pavanos Ishana Pavanos to switch to the private com frequency. He listens to the instructions.

"Confirmed." was all he said in reply. Then he switched back to standard.

"Trainees, this the moment of truth for you. If anything you did just now didn't stick, you're done. Drone swarm in coming. Simulated dog fight. You'll here a buzz if you tagged it. You'll here something similar if it tags you. Two rounds. First round, you get three chances to tag a drone, second round, you need to avoid or escape being tagged. Fail either and you wash out. Nexu 4. You lasted longest. You're flight lead."

Just then, the ship bearing the drones appeared, and he all led them right into the attack, not content to remain away, stayed very close to the ensuing fight. He watched the drones, wondering if his aggressive instruction had done the trick.

He watched as his trainees managed to tag every drone they targeted, though Nexu 11 barely did it.

"Well done, Trainees...now for round two..."

Kurayami Bloodborn Kurayami Bloodborn

Lossa Darcuhl Lossa Darcuhl

Rhiza Dural Rhiza Dural

Liam Sedaire Liam Sedaire

Last edited:

j8b0I9s.png
Equipment: Flight Suit, Discreet Hearing Enhancer - Left Ear, Long Handled Double Lightsaber, Sling Bag
Ship: The Buzzard, with V-2 Minimech 'Skid'
Tags: Ishana Pavanos Ishana Pavanos Vaux Gred Vaux Gred Rhiza Dural Rhiza Dural Liam Sedaire Liam Sedaire Kurayami Bloodborn Kurayami Bloodborn Roth Tillian Roth Tillian

"Regular Speech" | <Radio Speech>​

The Buzzard hadn't been put through its paces since she had liberated the hull and got it space worthy. She shook her hands, listening to the questions posed as they were explained the situation.

A silent hope spared to the force as she gripped the controls.

Then her wing-leader peeled off. And she could only stare in silent horror as she was left alone.

"The feth!?" Her comm off for the moment as Skid laughed at her.

"I can send you back to Denon you chirpy bolt bin." The droid returning the threat with its own as her shields weakened.

"Heyheyhey now. Chill! Alright! I don't feel like going back there either. Sheesh." Shaking her head as the drones began to close. The sensor dial on her right lighting up as their swarm of targets came into range.

<Uh. Rag-Tag 2 taking lead.> The slight sigh escaping as she jammed the accelerator forward and felt the whole ship lurch. The exhaust nozzles closing and as the engine sputtered before churning to life again with a roar.

Skid offering no comment as she noticed the information panel move through a series of code.

Not having the luxury to worry in the moment, she watched two friendly blips gain in the precious lost seconds. Being glad she had never claimed to be a proud person as irritation drove her to act.

She wouldn't be outdone on day one.

The Buzzard kept pace ahead of the x-wings by mere seconds as the swarm of drones broke loose of their formation, her eyes set on a pair that broke down and left.

A glance at her dials creating a grin as she broke away to engage the two droids.

Banking into a roll, the nose never seemed to pull enough to gain a lock with the guns as the droids split apart. Head snapping this way and that to track them visually before a small scroll of Droid text appeared.

"Which-nevermind!" The only reply Skid received for advice as the maneuvering jets fired, throwing the nose to chase one of the droids in a tight spiral.

The Buzzard kept tight to the droid target, and the first applications of the jets threw the nose over her target.

"Fethfethfeth." Easing off the adjustment pedals and finding target lock sounding off finally.

A blip appearing on her scope as another set of friendly signals closing on her second target. Scowling behind the helmet, her course veered off intercept of the droid to throw off any target lock of the intruding x-wings.

If it was supposed to be a team building exercise, Lossa was sorely missing the point.

As the pilots would reach the end of the first part of the exercise, Vaux would send a signal to the drones, and would dive back down to her nuggets. The turbos would notably disengage as she gathered up the younger pilots. She quickly hit the comms, looking around.

"Did good. Sorry to pick up and run, but usually like to get an idea of how you ade fly already. Seems most of you are pretty good. Rag-Tag 2, good flying on your own. Rag-Tag 7, you left your wingman out to dry. You're lucky this is training or I'd have you wings right here. Now, the next part of this, the drones with chase you. Rag-Tag 3 wingman on 2. I want to keep an eye on 4 and recheck those sublights, but just know that means I'm expecting good control too, just like with 2, understood."

"Aye, ma'am" 4 would chime, as in one quick move the TwinTail pulled a form of barrel roll to end on Rag-Tag 4's wing. "All I'm looking for is defensive flying here. Show how well you can avoid being hit. And remember, raw agility won't always guarantee a win in these kind of dogfights. You need to understand what different maneuvers will do to your fighter. Now, drones are coming back in... now!" And with that, part two of the exercise would begin.

Ishana Pavanos Ishana Pavanos Rhiza Dural Rhiza Dural Kurayami Bloodborn Kurayami Bloodborn Lossa Darcuhl Lossa Darcuhl Nathan Bloodscrawl Nathan Bloodscrawl Liam Sedaire Liam Sedaire

VVVDHjr.png

IMPERIAL + PILOT
RIMWARD TRADE LEAGUE

X A G O B A H

The goblins and ghouls of her squadron were turning out to be okay, only two ended up getting washed and that was mostly during the drone phase. Switched up the channels to talk to the other squadron leaders, "this is Ghost One, it has been an absolute pleasure, but before we return back to that big batch of gray in the sea. I've got just one more for you." She let off the comm to think for a moment, "gonna run a simulation to you, it's hard and it's fast, even for veteran pilots. I want each and every one of you to run this at least twice, make sure you pair up well. This ain't the kind of simulation I'd like to send on a first date, but we ain't got the time to get cozy."

"When you run this, you cut whoever has the slowest time. This Air Corp ain't got room for the slowest, but if you are so inclined. Have them come back for training at the official Shara Bey Air Academy here on Xagobah. It'll be opening next fall, so make sure you keep in touch and keep these nuggets flying,"
then she copped off on the comms again and cleared her throat, "when you and the nuggets are done with the run. We'll form back up on the floating deck, and then squad leaders. We're going to head out for a fly over, missing man formation. We don't end our days without thinking about all the pilots that have gone before us. It was a little somethin' we did back in my day on Dosuun, I won't hold it against you if you decide not to. Ghost One out."

Ishana cleared her throat and took a deep breath, she exhaled. Forcibly so, her mind a little cloudy on the men and women she'd flown with in her past. The ones who didn't survive to become sassy old men and women, the ones who became part of the void. Or as the sayin' went on Dosuun, the ones who were still flying. It wasn't that they died, no, they simply decided to remain on duty. "Alright, goblins and ghouls, this is your Ghost speakin' I'm hittin' you with a canyon run, and flight deck is three hundred, anything higher and you're dead, we'll need to plant booms right on the pretty little red dot on the simulation. Then you're gonna pull directly up and over coffin mountain, your body is going to hate you every single second as everything gets heavier."

"Once over the coffin you can push down and live again, by then the only problem will be making it back to that floating deck of ours."
Ishana's instructions were laid out and from there she pulled her squadron off and headed toward a free patch of Xagobah to do the run on.

RIMWARD TRADE LEAGUE​
X A G O B A H

So far only Three and Seven had washed out from his eight. Not exactly inspiring, but in this case he didn't take that as a strike against his methods so much as the fact that everything was being condensed down due to time constraints. Honestly he had expected half to wash out in the first exercise alone. Ishana's voice came in over the squadron leader channel coaxing a smirk from him as he responded to her, "Jester One reporting. Really? I always did prefer a good chase myself. Canyon runs have long been a personal favorite. At least twice, but as many times as we can manage before they complain of the g-loading. Got it. And no offense, but I don't tend to search for new romances in aerial combat training. "

"Cut the slow ones, no problem there. I'll be sure to let them know that they are welcome to attend classes at the new academy when it opens if they don't make it through this gauntlet. I can tell 'em whatever I want but it's up to them to keep flying and take it to heart. Or not. I'll be there after the exercise, count on it. Jester One out."

Switching his comms back to his squadron only he made sure he had he attention of the remaining pilots before addressing them. "This is Jester One to Jester Squadron. I am sending a set of nav points to your fighters. They will show up on your right MFD. The first nav point is automatically selected along with distance. Once you pass that point it will automatically redirect to the next point providing heading and distance information. This will continue until we reach the red dot you see there. That is the target. We will simulate explosive ordnance delivery to that point, flight ceiling on ingress is 300 ft any higher and you are dead. At the end we weill climb out over 'coffin mountain' as Captain Pavanaos described it to me earlier. Invert over the top to stay as close to the side as possible when cresting the top and dropping back down, roll wings level and book it out. Threats are possible on the egress, but are less likely the faster we get in and hit the target.

For the exercise we will be paired up. Jester Five you are with Jester Eight, Jester Six with Jester Four, Two stick on my wing. By the way, you do not want to be in last place on this one. We run it as many times as you can stand the g-loading. This is going to be fast and brutal ladies and gentleman, form up and good luck."

With that, he slid his X-Wing deftly into the lead position waiting for the other five to take up their places before initiating the exercise as t was shown on the MFD. Ishana was right, navigating the course was no cakewalk, but it was a fun challenge for someone like him.

j8b0I9s.png
Equipment: Flight Suit, Discreet Hearing Enhancer - Left Ear, Long Handled Double Lightsaber, Sling Bag
Ship: The Buzzard, with V-2 Minimech 'Skid'
Tags: Ishana Pavanos Ishana Pavanos Vaux Gred Vaux Gred Rhiza Dural Rhiza Dural Liam Sedaire Liam Sedaire Kurayami Bloodborn Kurayami Bloodborn Roth Tillian Roth Tillian

"Regular Speech" | <Radio Speech>​

The drones broke away, and she was left to stare out of her viewport after the blasted thing.

Rag Tag 1 joined back up shortly after though, and the compliment bled away the bubbling annoyance she was dealing with in the midst of feeling sorely out of place. She was a decent? Unable to stop the surprised look that sprung up at her controls. First time for everything she guessed. Or was she being compared to the other fresh ion jockeys? The wonder narrowing her gaze to the twintail that had formed up with them.

Instead of focusing on the topic and ruining a compliment, she listened rather than spoke.

She was getting a wingman this time. Giving a small wing wobble as an impromptu wave to the distress of her droid copilot. A deep frown forming as she tried fruitlessly to cast and evil glare to the droid. Remembering his dome was currently stuck outside in the thick of everything and weighing that against her relative comfort inside.

<Rag-Tag 3, uhm, good luck? I'll keep the antics low.> A promise she wasn't entirely sure she would keep if they were flying defensively.

Their instructor informed them of their impending second half, that started with a sudden jump as the sensors lit up once more. A significant pause in her reaction as she processed what she was seeing both on her scopes and outside the viewport. Hands letting loose of the controls briefly with a sharp onset of nerves.

"You got this. Come on, just. It's a big metal dance. Come on." Hyping herself up as she pressed herself back into control. Her wingman calling out a likely pair of pursuers closing in.

<Copy Rag-Tag 3. Do the. The uh. Uhm. Get some distance between us and the group, and we'll see about getting each other's tails.> The silence on the other end of the line reassuring her that she needed to brush up on the fancy starfighter talk and moves. The drones cutting a perilous line their direction as the two began to gain some distance from the body of the group.

Vaux smiled a bit as he followed Rag-Tag 4 into their sprint, to dodge some of the fire that would come from the various drones. Yeesh there was already one who just couldn't seem to get the idea though on how to dodge fire. She wouldn't say anything about that yet. No need to do it. The drones would chase, and seem to put up a pretty good effort against the trainees. She held tight with 4 and kept an eye on their sublight. Yep. A few sputters. Well she'd keep that in mind. Still running good it seemed, but she knew how that could go. The message then came in. A canyon run? Vaux, smirked a bit, signaling in.

"This is CT, hear you loud and clear Ghost, but I probably won't be able to cut my slowest. Have a nugget here who I guess got the hanger queen. Their number 3 is sputtering, but they haven't voiced any major warnings or seemed to have loses worse than some speed. You're call." As Vaux said this, she swapped her output to the Rag-Tags, speaking up.

"Alright, Rag-Tags form up. Rag-Tag 9, I want you back on the carrier. We'll talk after this. Rag-Tag 10, pair up with 4, and I'll follow close. Everyone else keep your wingmen for this one. We have a sim based on speed and handling. It's advanced, but trust me it's also possible. You should be getting nav points now. You have two passes, so try to make them as fast as you can without becoming a pancake. Alright, now let's go!" With that, Vaux would take a lead position, taking a line the standard X-wings should've been able to handle.

Lossa Darcuhl Lossa Darcuhl Ishana Pavanos Ishana Pavanos Rhiza Dural Rhiza Dural Liam Sedaire Liam Sedaire Kurayami Bloodborn Kurayami Bloodborn Roth Tillian Roth Tillian

Of the three rounds against the drones, only Nexu 11 washed out. Nathan had told him to wait at least a year before trying to apply again. Nathan felt only slightly vindicated at having pushed them so remorselessly before the actual tests even started by having made them chase and try to down him first.

"So, it seems most of you do want to win." he said coldly otherwise. "The quality of the fighter is ultimately secondary to the quality of the pilot. Never forget that."

Just then Ishana Pavanos Ishana Pavanos announced a final run. A simulated bombing of a canyon.

"Remaining Trainees, listen up. Nexu 9 and 4, 5 and 7, 12 and 3, 2 and 6, 8 and 10, you are paired together. Plotting points should be on your own systems by this juncture. Flight Deck is 300 feet. Failure will result in washout for whoever is slowest. So follow me and don't think about the maneuvers. Do them."

Nathan took the lead on the Canyon run, and gunned the fighter, pushing it's limits. You had to be willing to fly a fighter apart to truly fly it.

He showed no mercy on the nuggets, flying them at the exact combat speeds he himself would have, pulling the exact twists and turns they would have to if it was real, simulating the release of bombs on each target. The Nuggets followed, the success of most of them in previous drills having given them the confidence boost needed along with the will to heed their instructor.

The run was cunningly designed, and Nathan was forced to rely on the oldest lessons his father taught him about Starfighters to get through it. There were multiple simulated hazards, but his pushing them to learn how to twist and turn their fighters as best as possible had paid off.

He pulled up on Coffin Mountain, having led most of them through the canyon and they followed his flight up the mountain. Nexu 4 ended up being slowest, and was therefore cut, though he encouraged the pilot to enroll in the academy. Then he did the second run, going through it as fast and agile as could be managed. This time, Nexu 12 didn't make it, and was cut. Completing the second run, He then ordered everyone to follow him back to the flight deck.

But just then he unexpectedly jerked back and then sent his fighter screaming on the simulated run.

"One hundred fifty foot flight ceiling, all of you." he said.

If it had been punishing before, it was twice as punishing now, even to him, genuinely struggling not to make a mistake 9, 7, and 8 washed out on this run.

Much of it was still sloppy but the rest completed it admirably. The rest were again encouraged to try at the academy.

"The final lesson for today is this, Pilots: Always expect some last minute wrinkle in a plan, for the battlefield shall never show you mercy. Clear?"

"We get you Sir!" the Next pilots replied.

Nathan cut comms. He had done his due diligence for the Trade League. The pilots he had brought back deserved to be here, no question.

Roth Tillian Roth Tillian

Lossa Darcuhl Lossa Darcuhl

Kurayami Bloodborn Kurayami Bloodborn

Liam Sedaire Liam Sedaire

Rhiza Dural Rhiza Dural

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom