Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowers and Bees, Hawks and Wolves - Skógur Heim - Hrekkjavaka

"Oop." Kelsie felt rather odd, being dragged around like this. Like a sack of potatoes. There weren't many people who'd dragged her around in her life; she tended to be the leader in most cases. Always taking charge... but this change was nice. She didn't have to think too much; she could just enjoy the view... being dragged along had its advantages.

The young woman was a little slower than the blonde, taking her time as she climbed up the stairs to the very top. She followed Alvida up, watching the little ladder fall down before them. "Alright then." She noticed the slightly more colloquial tone from her companion -- formal talk was rather annoying. Kelsie watched as her companion bounded up the ladder, quietly wondering why no one had fixed the ladder.

With a few equally quick bounds she found herself beside the blonde again, looking out at...

[member="Alvida Osulf"]

Skógur Heim | [member=Kelsie Sylvan]
HWiLlPs.png
Boring. You bore her.

Alvida watched carefully as her companion slowly climed the ancient ladder, hands ready and waiting to catch her should she fall. It wasn't that she didn't trust Kelsie's capabilities, but that Alvida had seen people smaller than her fall prey to the ladder's tricks. When Keslie finally popped up through the hole in the roof, Alvida found herself exhaling a sigh of relief she hadn't realised she was holding in. 'You are as light as a feather, and very brave.' She complimented Kelsie as she helped her up to her feet. 'Most people end up giving up before half way.' Balencing on the sloping roofs wasn't an easy feat, but she had no doubts Kelsie would be able to manage. She gestured for her friend to follow as she inched her way up the tiled rooftop, so that they could sit on the thick wooden support that ran down the centre of it. When Alvida had settled herself at the top of the roof, she straightened herself out and did so with a gesture that allowed Kelsie to see exactly what they'd bothered climbing up the broken ladder for.

At the tips of her fingers stretched the beautiful, deep green carpets of forest that covered every inch of Skógur Heim. Columns of clean white smoke from various fires billowed upward into the clear, cloudless blue sky. 'Skógur Heim!' Alvida spoke with a hint of pride in her tone, dragging her fingers over the horizon as she showed off her world. With the tip of one finger she hovered on the distant shadow of another settlement. 'There is the Market. It is further away than it seems. The fire mountain gives us height enough to see it from here.' After allowing a few moments for Kelsie to look, she swung her hand to the east and landed on the outline of a tree that was so tall it seemed to escape all comprehension.

'That is the tree.' She outlined the branches with a grin on her face. Even from the distance they stood at it was easy to tell it wasn't any regular tree. Mostly because the size seemed so grand you could almost see the details of the ancient bark. 'Again, it is a day or two journey from here, but this one you can see from anywhere on the planet.' The young wolf did not focus too long on the tree. Once again she found herself spinning, this time to face the docks Kelsie had arrived on. 'That is where we came from. And finally...' She gestured all around them. In specific motioning to the ant sized people that walked below them, and to the crater that their homes and livelihoods were built in. With the main house being in the very centre of the settlement, they were in a good position to see almost everything. From the blacksmiths working out the kinks in swords, to the warriors who used them as they learned the ways of battle. '...This is my home!'

Kelsie smiled to her companion. "My friends used to call me Hawk, you know. Gotta be light to fly," she said. She'd always been light on her feet -- constant training in balance, combat, and a little acrobatics here and there were incredibly useful. Climbing up a partly broken ladder was pretty easy, and of course it was hard not to be confident when one had skills like Kelsie. "Cliche, but I'm not like most."

The young woman inched forward beside the blonde, settling in beside her as her hazel eyes studied the landscape being shown. Not many sights were so magnificent the second time -- Skógur Heim managed. Kelsie had always looked at things from afar. She preferred being in a black, inky void than heading dirtside. But she could appreciate the proximity to some very nice forests -- no, trees. Seeing the trees apart from the forest wasn't all that common, so Kelsie enjoyed it.

"This place is amazing," she whispered, her gaze following Alvida's directions. She was already craving the idea of climbing that grand tree in the distance. There were few things that caused a feeling of awe in Kelsie -- she'd just found one more.

"Thanks for inviting me, Alvida. Well worth it."

[member="Alvida Osulf"]

Skógur Heim | [member="Kelsie Sylvan"]
HWiLlPs.png

You know the baker, he poisons his bread.

'Hawk...' Alvida smiled as she tested the nickname out. 'Yes, I like this name for you. It fits you like good armour.' Blonde curls caught the gusts of wind as she nodded her head vigerously. 'You are very unique. Like find a diamond in a thread of coal. I am pleased to have met you.' A warm smile crossed her expression as she passed the compliment. Once all was said and done Alvida allowed Kelsie a moment or two to take in the sights of Skògur Heim. She passively wondered what it would be like to see it for the first time. Alvida had grown up in the forests and amongst the people, everything felt so familiar to her. What would it have been like to behold it all simply for its beauty?

'I am pleased to hear you think it is good.' A brief thought crossed her mind that it was likely a fair few people in the Galaxy had seen a planet filled to the brim with such lush fauna. Where Alvida was fresh and new to the idea of modern day technology, some would be fresh and new to the idea of a planet without it. 'You are very welcome for being invited. Thank you for accepting.' She flashed her a toothy grin, and lent forward to squeeze her hand. 'Come on! If you are finished looking we will go down and explore my village.' Alvida swung her legs over the support beam to face the direction they had come in. 'We can get sweet buns, maybe I will take you down the mountains to walk through the forest a bit.'

"Aww, thanks," she said, smiling again to Alvida. Kelsie took her time as she looked out across the landscape -- part of it was habit, she was taught to always study her surroundings and memorize important landmarks so she could find her way. But in part she felt that tug in her heart that all felt when they found something beautiful. She could appreciate this kind of stuff, considering she'd grown up on a barren, largely lifeless and boring planet. "I'm glad to have met you too, Alvida."

Alvida's thoughts were correct. Kelsie had been to planets covered in smog and waste and watched the people as they wandered around, unable to leave or know what places like this looked like, or if they even existed. The young woman loved to travel, and she loved it when people were willing to show her their beautiful homes. She loved exploring, being out in the wild, and... being around people. Wonderful people like the blonde she was sitting with. "Mm, alright," she said, allowing Alvida to lead her. Food, too. That stew had been delicious. "I can keep up. Lead the way."

She followed along quickly to wherever Alvida led her, bounding back down the ladder and down the stairs. "Don't think I've ever really had a sweet bun."

[member="Alvida Osulf"]

Skógur Heim | [member=Kelsie Sylvan]
HWiLlPs.png
Where will you go when the sweet buns run out?

'Oh, you have not?!' A bright smile lit up her face at the realisation. Sweet buns had been a childhood treat for the young wolf, something that came with the warm memories of joy and excitement. There was no hesitation in her step as she slid down the roof in the direction they had come from. Once again the young wolf did not seem perturbed by the ageing wood. The climb back down the ladder was much quicker than the way up, mostly because if the ladder broke you'd end up where you were trying to go in the first place, so there was no real need to be nervous.

When they had wound their way back through the lunch crowd and into the street again, Alvida gestured toward the area of the village where the best bakery was, though there was no need for it. Even over the countless other things in the village, the smell of freshly baked, warm bread was enough to direct you there alone. She felt more confident about letting Kelsie walk the streets without being attached to her. Her red headed friend knew the way back to her house now, so if they lost each other in the crowds Alvida knew Kelsie would be sensible enough to return there. 'This way...'

The winding streets were less of a maze to the young wolf, who had grown up surrounded by the towering wooden walls of every building. The best bakery wasn't too far a walk from the house. It was tucked behind a large forgery that held a strong note of of melting metal and coal fires and the sounds of anvils hammered relentlessly. Gesturing once again for her friend to follow, Alvida took a sharp turn and dived into the nearest building. This time this one was made of stone and it was clear that this was the source of the fresh smell of baked goods. 'In here!'

"Nope. Sounds delicious though." Kelsie got the feeling that Alvida had an awful lot of good memories about sweet buns. Funny how people not as interesting as Kelsie had much happier and diverse childhoods... not that the blonde wolf wasn't interesting. Kelsie had just never had a sweet bun, and definitely not one from here. Her childhood largely consisted of sleep, eat, train, test, augment, repeat. It was a simple life. The trainers and caretakers were consistent and pushed Kelsie to her limits -- then raised those limits a few steps higher. She took a deep breath, letting her mind wander back to the present as the pair stepped back out onto the street.

She nodded, quickly following Alvida as they wove through the crowd on their way to the bakery. Kelsie had never lost a target -- well, almost never -- so she definitely wasn't losing her companion in a very non-threatening crowd. She followed the smell right up to the bakery and went along with Alvida into the stone building.

"Do they use credits here? I just have credits." She reached into her pockets, touching the change she still had. Of course she had some other stuff in her bag, as well as an account with the Banking Clan, but... she wasn't sure these people had ATMs.

[member="Alvida Osulf"]

'Yes.' Alvida nodded quickly without taking her eyes from the glass case in front of her. 'We do use credits. When the skin-changers first got here we built the market place and traders from the Galaxy brought credits with them. Before that the humans only traded. But you will not need money here.' The baker pushed through the back doors, greeting the pair with a wide grin and a jovial chuckle. 'Aftur aftur, Alvida? Þú ert helmingur af hagnaði mínu!' The young blonde could only smile and nod her head rapidly, to which the baker shook his head and busied himself gathering her usual order. 'He is joking that I make him the most money.' A sheepish expression crossed her face as she turned to her friend to translate.

With a flick of her slender hand she motioned to a tray of soft buns covered in a sticky sweet syrup and garnished with a small comb of raw honey. From the moment they were wrapped in thin brown paper, to the moment they were passed over the counter, Alvida's grin could not have been wider. The baker sent them off with a wave of his flour dusted fingers as he turned to scribble something in a leather ledger, and the energetic young wolf was in no rush to disobey. 'Come, we can sit on the edge of the crater and eat these! You can see the edge of the forest we will hunt in from there.'

It was but a short walk to the edge of the crater, and a short climb up a the ten foot fall wall that surrounded the entire village, but from there the view was spectacular. Stretching for miles just beneath the base of the volcano lay dozens of farms. The greens and golds of their crop littered the landscape in a patchwork blanket of vibrant colour. At the edge of the landscape, close enough to see the shadow that hid behind the tree trunks, lay the vast forest of birch trees that covered most of the planet. Alvida placed the sweetbuns between them, tearing the paper just a little to expose the treats inside. 'Please, help yourself!' Alvida spoke as she followed her own advice, sweeping up a sticky bun in hand and popping the fresh honey comb straight into her mouth. 'The forest is not far from here. I am excited to show you.' As she tore apart the soft dough to let it melt in her mouth she flashed a grin to Kelsie. 'You will meet the wolf then.'

Aftur aftur, Alvida? Þú ert helmingur af hagnaði mínu! - Back again, Alvida? You're half my profit!

[member=Kelsie Sylvan]

Kelsie smiled to Alvida. Only right that the host treat the guest. She kept her credits in her bag, and that tidbit of information in her mind -- perhaps she'd buy Alvida gift later, if she wasn't able to shoot something sufficiently impressive during their hunting trip. The young woman simply offered the baker a friendly smile; all the pastries smelled delicious and he seemed like quite the jolly guy. "You'll have to teach me some of your language," she said to Alvida. Maybe only a few key phrases, as she doubted she'd actually need to use it anywhere else but here. Then again, she rather wanted to stay here for a while.

She kept pace with her blonde companion, and in the blink of an eye they had arrived at the edge of the crater. Kelsie glanced back at the walled town behind them as she sat down. Looking out at the surface of Skógur Heim had lost the dazzle factor at this point, but she could still appreciate the view. She chuckled as she watched her companion scooping up a sweet bun, and took up her offer, grabbing one before she began to speak. "Why do you guys have a wall? Around the town, I mean." Shield generators were much more effective. She could understand if this was a sort of more primitive defense, but the people of Hrekkjavaka seemed peaceful enough, or at least socially advanced enough and well-spaced such that they wouldn't squabble with their neighbours. It didn't even occur to her that they might need to contend with other beings that might lurk in the night.

[member="Alvida Osulf"]

'I would love to teach you some. It is not hard. The basic words are easy. Hello is halló, or hæ hæ if you know this person you are speaking to as a friend.' The young wolf didn't imagine Kelsie needed to know much else for now. Plus, once they started their hunt in the forest they would need plenty of things to fill the silence. Perhaps she could teach her the words for forest, or hunt, or river. She grinned to herself at the thought.

Alvida shook her head, wiping a drip of sticky syrup from her chin. 'It is not a wall. Before we arrived this mountain had fire in its core, but it has not erupted the liquid flame in some time now. The village is built in the crater it left behind, and the farms are built in the fertile soil around it.' As she spoke she motioned to the massive stretches of field that covered a good few miles past the base of the mountain. Then she craned her neck and traced her finger around the edge of the crater formed by lava. 'See? We did not build it, but we are not stupid enough to let its benefits go to waste. From here we can see all of Skogur Heim. To protect it.' Alvida nodded her head firmly, as though the words were a mantra she lived by.

The last of her sticky bun disappeared behind hungry lips, to which she hummed softly in appreciation. 'Those were good. We should get back to the house. I must think by now all our things for the hunt have been packed!' Wild as ever she slid down the edge of the crater, not seeming to mind that the sharp rocks scraped against the back of her legs. It wouldn't take them long to get back to the house, and then they could get themselves lost in the woods. Where Alvida felt truly at home.

[member=Kelsie Sylvan]

Kelsie was certainly past the language learning age. Still, learning a few phrases and words from Alvida wouldn't hurt. "Halló, hæ," she repeated softly. She paused for a moment, then leaned back in her seated position, propping her head up with her arm and lying on her side. A sly grin came over her face as she looked at Alvida. "Halló there." Even with all her willpower, it only took a few moments for her to burst out laughing. Nowadays she couldn't keep anything serious.

Still, she was able to listen to the blonde as she explained the reasoning for being there. It was smart, not wasting a strong defensive position, nor the natural resources. Despite her imperial past and somewhat greedy tendencies, she hated the overconsumption that a more highly developed world might have. She hoped that Skógur Heim never changed, that the people never spoiled their land, that they would remain protectors of this place even after every modern nation had fallen to ruin. It surprised her, how oddly passionate about that she was.

"Yeah, they are... I mean, the one I had," she said with a chuckle. Alvida had practically inhaled the batch, Kelsie only had one... and it was delicious. Good honey, too. "We'll pack up... and tomorrow's market day, yeah? After that we can head out." She hopped to her feet and followed the blonde back into the crater -- she was a little more careful with all the sharp rocks.

[member="Alvida Osulf"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom