Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowers and Bees, Hawks and Wolves - Skógur Heim - Hrekkjavaka

This planet that Kelsie found herself on this late autumn morning had a rather raw feel to it, that lovely feeling of natural power, something anyone who set foot in such a place could respect. She liked Alvida a little more.

The young woman had arrived only a few hours ago, having set down her YT-1300 in the spaceport with the weird name that started with a V, then taken a boat (she didn't even know boats still existed, and after that short trip she mildly wanted them not to exist) to Hrekkjavaka. Kelsie knew a fair few languages but she wasn't in the mood to have to learn a whole other one... not like she could without any help. She'd have to ask Alvida to teach her a few words.

She was there for the companion she'd found two weeks ago on Stobar, and was actually somewhat excited to see her again and explore this place. It was a beautiful planet, and any group of people who could settle on the side of a volcano demanded her respect. Kelsie was obliged to give it.

She stood on the docks of Nordur Bankar, her brown eyes scanning her surroundings, crawling over the stone and wood buildings and the great blue sea. The young woman was definitely out of place here -- whereas the locals wore odd robes of cloth, Kelsie was dressed in her neat leather jacket, jeans and black cap. It was her standard outfit, she wore it just about everywhere... occasionally into bed, too. She had a travel pack slung over her back, filled with some gear she felt she might need if they decided to go hunting. Right now, though, she'd need to hunt for her companion...

Kelsie took a tentative step off the dock and onto the main street, her eyes still flicking around for a familiar blonde.

[member="Alvida Osulf"]

Skógur Heim | [member="Kelsie Sylvan"]
HWiLlPs.png
Excitement becomes you.

A beautiful autumn afternoon broke across Skógur Heim, leaves of oranges and reds twirled in the steady breeze that gave the air a mild chill. An ocean of teal stretched as far as the eye could see appeared to be calm despite the disturbed weather. Alvida brushed back her long golden hair, pinning it against her skull with a clip or two. The wind had been picking up slowly the entire morning and the stray hairs it caught had been irritating her for some time. Standing on top of a cliff overlooking the docks probably wasn't helping, but her bright green eyes were scanning the horizon for something. Or rather someone. Excitement had been steadily building in the young wolfs manor as the minutes ticked by. The more she considered the weight of Kelsie's visit the more she felt proud of herself. Skógur Heim was making waves in the Galaxy, or at least Alvida was. Even a year or two ago the idea of someone visiting anywhere but the market place would have seemed laughable, but now...

She spotted the shadow of a ship on the horizon, her feet instantly reacting as they scrambled for purchase on the stone beneath her. The journey down the cliffs to the docks was short, but she did have to jump down a few rather awkward looking drops. Of course, the slowly inclining hill leading down to the dock would have been an easier route to take but it was the longer of the two options. By the time she reached the aged wooden pier Kelsie was already peering around the crowd. Bouncing on the spot before she charged through the crowd Alvida called out to her friend. 'Kelsie! You have actually arrived!' Alvida remembered the woman well, when they had originally met on Stobar both had been forced into a mysterious situation that neither would have picked given the choice. A little surprisingly, Alvida had enjoyed her company immensely and had almost tripped over herself to invite Kelsie to visit her home.

Willowy arms threw themselves around Kelsie's shoulders as Alvida embraced her in a friendly hug. 'I am so happy to see you again!'

"Oh wow hugs," Kelsie muttered as the blonde wrapped her arms around her. The young woman wrapped her own arms around Alvida, a smile coming across her face. It was odd, she had this small feeling of homecoming... but she soon shrugged it off as she pulled out of the hug, her eyes scanning the girl in front of her. Not that she'd forgotten what Alvida looked like, it had only been two weeks. "Good to see you too, Alvida."

Her eyes soon flicked away, again looking at the passerby of this odd city. She really had never seen anything like this place... she wanted to see more. "You've got an interesting home," she commented with a smile. "Care to show me around? I'd probably get lost as soon as I stepped into the town."

[member="Alvida Osulf"]

HWiLlPs.png

Show her all you have to offer.

Alvida winced. Kelsie seemed a little displeased by the hug, perhaps it wasn't something friends did where she came from. Still, Alvida kept the smile on her face as they broke their embrace. She was happy to see her after all. It was strange seeing things from this perspective, usually she was the outside being welcomed into somebody else's home. This made a nice change. Her head flicked gently to the side to motion that they should begin walking. 'Come!' Despite the minor set back, which the voices seemed to chastise her greatly for, Alvida's tone remained bright and cheery.

'Of course. I will show you my home and we can try some of that mead I was telling you about. I do not think you will have to return on the boat. I can take you back to the market in my ship. Maybe we can look around there before you leave.' As they walked Alvida stretched her arm out to direct Kelsie toward the steadily inclining hill that lead from the docks to the top of the volcano. 'My village is just up here.' The little wolf seemed alive with excitement, practically bouncing on the spot as they walked. Even the chilly breeze didn't seem to bother her too much now either.

The young woman didn't actually mind the hug... but she wasn't acting right now, so she wasn't about to exaggerate how excited she was about certain things. Hugs didn't excite her quite like other things did. Kelsie nodded and followed, making sure her backpack was fight snugly against her. Unlike Alvida, Kelsie had no real expectations for this. She wanted to have fun with Alvida of course but she wasn't stressed about it. This was her leisure time -- she had a few weeks left in her off time, then back to the Dauntless. Might as well spend it with someone cool in a cool place doing something cool.

"It's like... midday... how old are you, anyways? I feel like you shouldn't be drinking too much," she said, a half-formed note of concern in her voice. As much as someone like Kelsie could be concerned.

Kelsie was excited too... though not quite bouncing. The blonde's excitement was a little more visible than hers -- and it brought a smile to her face. "Well let's see it, then... gotta say, living on a volcano is pretty cool. Personally I think I'd like to stick around a while... I've got time after all."

[member="Alvida Osulf"]

HWiLlPs.png

Drink enough to find the courage you lack.

Alvida let out a soft snort that was followed quickly by a sweetly pitched giggle. 'Here I am old enough. I have seen nineteen years thus far. But skin-changers grow quickly. We only live to see seventy or eighty years normally. I am already an adult.' She turned her head to face her friend as they walked, a curious look in her eye. 'I think you are capable of handling a little midday mead.' Alvida guided them up the steadily inclining hill toward the settlement and her home, all the while one ear remained open to listen to all Kelsie had to say. Alvida wanted to make sure she answered all her questions, complete with spoiling her rotten to ensure that she would want to visit again soon.

'Yes, the fire mountain was a brave choice for my ancestors. By the time they arrived the fire mountain had not spit up its angry flames for...' She paused for a moment or two, a confused expression taking over some face as she did some mental maths. 'A hundred years?' Alvida nodded, as if confirming to herself that the calculations were correct. 'We have been living here for two hundred years now, so there has been no fire for at least three hundred years. Sometimes the earth shakes but it is never angry enough to startle the fire mountain again. We call it Hrekkjavaka. Warrior's Peak.' A smile formed on her lips at Kelsie's announcement of her intentions to stay a while. 'I would like that. We have plenty of space for you at home. You would be more than welcome.'

"Ah." Kelsie nodded. Skin-changers again. She was intrigued by Alvida's race -- little things like turning into a wolf were what Kelsie wished she could do sometimes. Always being a human got boring quick in a galaxy of beings who could lift starfighters. Too bad her companion wasn't quite as long-lived, but at least she was living her best life here and now.

Kelsie chuckled softly at her comment. "I usually only drink midday when I'm sad," she said with a smile. The young woman was already thinking about when she'd have time to visit again -- or perhaps she'd drag Alvida off world with her when she left. But first she'd have to get to know her companion better. And so as the pair hiked up the side of the volcano Kelsie began to ask more questions. "So your people..." She paused for a moment. Only two hundred years. Being thrown forward in time gave her some real perspective. "When did you start meeting outsiders? And... why's it named Warrior's Peak?" There had to be a neat history behind... Hrejakkava? Hrekkjavaka? Whatever.

A home to stay in, on a beautiful planet, with beautiful people and something to do every day... she mildly wanted to retire. Not yet, though. "Thanks a ton. My ship... gets cramped sometimes. The air here isn't like the stuffy cities I usually stay in."

[member="Alvida Osulf"]

HWiLlPs.png

Nearly there, little wolf.

'Well now you drink midday to celebrate.' Alvida chuckled and nodded her head firmly, not really waiting for Kelsie to answer or agree in any other way. 'We drink mead here to keep us going. We're farmers and hunters and fighters. It helps with the late nights and early mornings. We do not get drunk until the sun sets.' Her feet crunched softly against the drying grass as they approached the crater. Carved into the rough stone were a set of steep steps that lead over to the other side, where the settlement was based. Alvida directed Kelsie toward them.

'We started recently. I am the first of our kind to explore since my ancestors first arrived. For this whole time, two hundred years, it has just been us and the Dùsundir. What we call the humans of this land.' Alvida took the steps two at a time, hoping Kelsie would keep up with her pace. 'We call it Warrior's Peak because when we arrived the skin-changers were twenty in number. Four claimed to be the strongest and the bravest so they took the volcano and created Hrekkjavaka. This is where all the warriors of Skógur Heim come to train and learn our ways.' Over the crest of the crater, from their highest point on the steps, you could see the whole settlement. While it only appeared to be in a circle around five miles wide it seemed to be extremely busy. People were wondering through the stone streets, the sounds of sword against sword echoed out into the autumn morning, the warmth of a hundred fires seemed to heat the air around them. 'This is my home.'

Alvida's hand swept over the wooden buildings, finally coming to rest on a house in the very centre of the settlement. Four stories in height it was the only building of it's stature, made from a mixture of dark wood and rough stone. 'That is where myself and my family lives, and where you will be staying while you are here.' Alvida took a cautious step forward down the stairs on the opposite side of the crater. 'Come, I will introduce you to everyone and show you your room. Then we can explore.'

"Alright, alright... I won't get too drunk. I do have a lot of celebrating to do, after all," she said, giving a warm smile to her companion. Celebrate not working, celebrate new friends, celebrate new beginnings. Life was good. Kelsie had much to celebrate, and she wanted to celebrate with someone who made it worthwhile. And of course tons of booze.

The young woman listened closely, continuing to ascend to the very top of the volcano. She was mildly surprised to feel the slight tug of exhaustion in her body... if she was being honest she hadn't been keeping up herself physically lately. Shooting things with pistols wasn't exactly good exercise. At least the hike was worth it.

"See, this is why I go to cities all the time. Cities are horrible. Places like this make me want to settle down and retire." Kelsie's eyes swept across the landscape, eventually following Alvida's hand to the main building. Her home. Kelsie had always lived in her ship, slept on the ground in the wilderness someplace, or had hid in some old apartment she didn't own under her real name. It'd be nice to have a big warm bed to sleep in... unless Alvida had tons of family and she'd be very squished. "So I guess you're kind of important, huh? Big house." She set off behind her companion, ready for... a whole new world.

[member="Alvida Osulf"]

HWiLlPs.png

Do not lose her, she may not return.

A bright smile crossed her face at Kelsie's words. Some part of her wanted to promise the woman that she would definitely be getting a little more drunk than she had planned. The mead on Skógur Heim was made in a traditional way. It was powerful. Homemade moonshine for lack of a better word. Alvida took the steps down into the village a lot slower than she had taken them on the way up. She wanted Kelsie to be able to admire the village, to take in what it truly looked like, which was a lot more difficult once you were lost in the wide stone streets. The one thing you missed out on from the stairs happened to be the smells. The further they walked the stronger they became. It ranged from freshly baked bread to burning charcoal, from warm stews cooking over home made fires to the sweat of a hard working man. Each one different from the last, but all telling of just how simple and homely the settlement seemed to be.

Alvida took Kelsie's hand as she slipped between the first row of wooden homes that made up the outskirts of the settlement. 'Do not get lost. Tomorrow is market day, everyone is very busy.' True to her word there seemed to be a large amount of people scuffling past one another, carrying baskets of soft pelts, trays of dried meats and massive barrels of vegetables, fruits and mead. Her blonde head bobbed as she nodded toward Kelsie in response to her question. 'Yes. I suppose important. When the skin-changers arrived here the humans were in the middle of a great war. Some of the elders say it had gone on for more than two thousand years.' The scale of such a time had never seemed to completely click with Alvida so her tone was simple, as if it were casual for a war to go on for such a length of time. 'We landed and made peace for them, so they look to us for guidance and leadership. My Father is the alpha of my pack and the Chief of Hrekkjavaka.' Alvida turned to face her guest, a wickedly bright grin touching her expression. 'I am his first born and will follow in his footsteps one day.'

Kelsie enjoyed the view, to say the least. It really did feel homely -- Hrekkjavaka was making as good a first impression as Alvida had. She followed her companion down towards the village. While her nose wasn't quite as sharp as the wolf's beside her, she did absorb her surroundings -- as soon as they reached the streets she missed the beautiful view from above.

"Market day," she muttered, her eyes scanning the various faces. She wondered if anything set the skin-changers apart from the humans physically... how to tell wolves from sheep.

The young woman was slightly surprised to find the blonde's hand in her own -- but she was right. Kelsie didn't want to get lost. She followed Alvida closely, letting her companion guide her through the stone streets. So she was a bit of a royal... at least she wasn't very loud about it. She had a feeling that status wasn't a big thing around here -- birthright was a funny thing. Alvida seemed like the type to respect less based on what you were born to be than what you showed yourself to be. Kelsie would be sure to prove herself early to the people here. "I'm sure you will," she said with a smile. To the big house.

[member="Alvida Osulf"]

HWiLlPs.png

I wonder what your family will think of you bringing a stranger home.

Alvida nodded in confirmation, only flashing a brief smile at Kelsie before turning her head to concentrate on the busy streets. She wound them past a series of buildings that mostly contained slaughter houses, training rooms and blacksmiths. It seemed the settlement was split into districts, the outside ring for houses and the inner ring for the more practical things. Luckily it wasn't too far of a walk from the edge to the centre of the crater. There were plenty of things to look at as they dived between the crowds, enough to make the journey fly by. The whole time they charged through the streets of Hrekkjavaka the four story home remained the one constant against the cloudy autumn sky.

When they finally reached the large set of double doors that led to the inside Alvida stopped and released Kelsies hand with a grin. A steady steam of gentle conversation poured through the pane-less windows, coupled with the soft clunk of mugs against wooden tables. 'Midday meal is already being eaten. I hope we are not too late to have something.' She shoved the doors open with her shoulder, grunting softly at the weight she put behind it to move the heavy wood. They opened up to reveal a large square room, big enough to house a fire pit that ran down the centre with two long tables either side. Each table had various sized benches pressed nearly against their edges, all of them filled with a variety of people. Some hard working men with scars on their faces and calloused hands covered in sun-kissed skin, other's fair maidens with milk-white flesh and rosy cheeks. Nobody seemed to be any different from anyone else though. They all sat and ate together, shared the same conversations, drank the same mead.

'Welcome to my home!'

Kelsie stuck close to her companion as they charged through the streets of Hrekkjavaka. This has the makings of a wonderful town -- beautiful wood houses, practical design, things to do, people to meet, and so much to explore. A tour guide to show her around, too. She'd come here to experience the wilderness, live out in the woods for a while perhaps, but this little town made her want to slow down and stay a while. It wasn't really like anywhere she'd ever been to. The young woman began to memorize the way towards the centre of the town -- not that she needed to, there were two perfectly good landmarks on either end.

And finally the big house. Really was impressive when compared to the squat wood lodges all around. Released from the blonde's death grip of affection, Kelsie gave a nod and smile, following her inside the large wood building. Seemed like it was less a house and more a communal area -- like the only bar in a small backwater village someplace. She loved it. "Are we gonna eat now, too?"

The smells, the atmosphere -- the people all around. Quite nice really. But of course in this place the young woman stuck out like a sore thumb -- well not quite a sore thumb. More like a well-groomed thumb with the nail painted a gorgeous red. Still, she was out of place among the locals.

"Home indeed," Kelsie replied, "home indeed."

[member="Alvida Osulf"]

HWiLlPs.png

We are anxious for the hunt.

Alvida raised her brows once or twice with a smirk on her face. 'If you are hungry, we can eat, yes.' She motioned for Kelsie to follow as she slipped through the doors and into the heart of the feasting hall. A strong smell of meat stew filtered through the air, coupled with freshly baked bread and sweet honey mead. One foot after the other Alvida made her way past the benches toward the very end of the fire pit. Tucked behind it was another table, placed against the ends of the long wooden ones that stretched the span of the room. In one swift motion she had swept up two bowls and two mugs. It wasn't a far walk from there to the food, Alvida took it in three graceful steps, dancing between people moving back and forth between benches. The stew itself sat in a cast iron pot above the stove, bubbling away loudly even over the din of conversation.

Once they were full Alvida set them down in front of a couple of spare seats, waving her hand to the nearest for Kelsie to sit on. 'Here. I will be back with mead.' The wooden mugs clacked together as she disappeared behind the firepit, returning a few moments later with a look of serious concentration on her face. The reason for it became apparent as she slowly lowered herself onto the bench in front of her food. The mugs were brim full with an amber liquid, so sweet it hardly took a breath to taste it in the air. 'Eat, drink! Enjoy. You are on holiday now.' She grinned as the mug settled on the table, sloshing the liquid over the deep brown wood.

"Alrighty then."

Kelsie followed the blonde as she moved around the room, rather absentmindedly. Her eyes swept the room as they moved -- and many pairs of eyes swept equally back. If Kelsie could ever feel nervous, now would probably be the time... but she was with Alvida. It'd be fine.

The young woman eagerly took the mug of ale once they were seated, setting it beside the bowl of stew for a moment. "Thanks, this looks great." Really any food seemed excellent to Kelsie -- for most of her life she'd eaten the slop they served at the mess hall and field rations. Wasn't exactly a high bar to clear, but still she'd say it.

"To holidays," she said, grabbing her mug and hoisting it up to touch Alvida's. As soon as it had, she pulled it back to her lips and took a long drink. Strong -- she liked it. Then she began to dig into her food, managing to get out a few words in between. "So what's the plan? What are we gonna do while I'm here?"

[member="Alvida Osulf"]

HWiLlPs.png

Hurry, hurry, there is no time for eating.

'You are most welcome!' Alvida swept up her mug just in time to clash it against Kelsie's. The mead sloshed against the wooden rim, but the young wolf was too quick to allow it to spill. Mug zooming across the empty space Alvida caught the rim in her mouth and threw her head back as she drank deeply. Once she had finished half the mug seemed to be empty, but she was smacking her lips with a grin on her face. It tasted deliciously sweet. So intensely sweet it made your face scrunch up, but it always came coupled with a sour note from the alcohol that balanced it out just a little. She licked her chin free of an amber dribble that escaped down her milk-white skin, turning her attention next to the bowl of steaming stew.

As she lifted it up in both hands to her eagerly waiting mouth Alvida responded. 'There are a few things we can do. The market place will be good tomorrow as it is market day, we can go there then. There is the tree to visit, where my people make contact with our Gods, but I am not sure the seers would allow you there.' Alvida paused for a brief moment to take a hearty gulp of the warmed stew. The meat was tender enough that it melted on your tongue, the gravy thick and salted with something that seemed almost too foreign for the simple settlement. 'I can show you were my people first landed. The shells of our ships are still there to this day, we celebrate festivals there sometimes.' She grinned briefly before diving back into her meal, taking another few mouthfuls of the homely bowl.

'And of course...' She spoke as she set the bowl down onto the table and replaced it with her mug. 'There is the hunt!'

Kelsie didn't have too much of a sweet tooth -- but booze was booze. She put her mug down, copying the blonde across from her and beginning to sip from her bowl of stew. If only she had any real taste in food... all she know was that the stew she made wasn't half as good as this.

"Lots of options, huh..." The young woman was sure that the markets here were excellent -- they could do that tomorrow, it'd been too long since she'd shopped for anything that wasn't a weapon or explosive. Religion was a different story -- Kelsie was a bit of a skeptic, she didn't like the idea of praying to some external, likely nonexistent entity. Then again, she used the Force, and she'd heard about the idea that the Force was shaped by those who believed in it. If Alvida wanted, she'd be up to go see a tree.

But of course, parties and hunting were the options she was favouring. "Mm... how about... you show me around the city today, relax tonight, then tomorrow we get some stuff at the market and head out to do some hunting? I wouldn't mind spending a few days out in the wilderness. This place is incredible."

[member="Alvida Osulf"]

HWiLlPs.png

Time to fly like birds, or fall like bricks.

Alvida watched her new friend carefully as she went through the options one by one. To be honest, Alvida could have spent a whole week on each thing and still there would be more to show her at the end of it. The settlement wasn't just the gathering of structures in the centre of the volcano, it also spread across the fertile lands that lay at the foot of it. Fields after fields of produce and livestock, all surrounded by the thick boreal trees that made up the bulk of the forest. The marketplace was miles wide,

Despite not really focusing on what she was doing she continued to sip at her drink and stew, swapping between the two freely. 'That sounds like the best plan.' Her wild golden curls tumbled as she nodded firmly. 'I will make arrangements for our hunt so that we can get lost in the woods for a while.' As she finished off the last of her stew a bright, wide look came across her eyes. They sparkled almost as violently as the amber liquid in her mug catching the flames in its reflection. 'If I am to show you round my home there is one thing we must do first. I want you to see it properly from above.' Her voice took a excitable tone and the large grin remained plastered on her face.

Wanting to waste no time, Alvida quickly finished up the dregs of amber liquid that remained in her mug and waited patiently for Kelsie to do the same.

There really was too much of the galaxy to explore -- no one could possibly visit every place in the galaxy. So Kelsie needed to narrow down the options and do the most exciting things first. Visit the most beautiful places, meet the most incredible people. Track, hunt, kill, drink, eat, fly.

"Mhmm," Kelsie mused, actively listening to Alvida. The blonde knew this place much better than she ever would, so it was for the best that she was the one making the plans. The young woman was already rather excited about all this -- a place to live off the land.

From above? Kelsie sipped her stew slowly. Did she just mean from the top floor or something? In any case, Kelsie continued to eat and drink, a little more slowly than Alvida. She was finished a few minutes after her companion was, and finally she got to her feet. "Lead the way," she said, giving a warm smile. She was ready to follow to whatever wonder was next.

[member="Alvida Osulf"]

Skógur Heim | [member=Kelsie Sylvan]
HWiLlPs.png
It's a long way down, little wolf.

The wild grin on her face only grew more so when Kelsie agreed to view the settlement from above. Alvida swept her friend's hand up the second she had placed her mug down. Before too long they were picking their way through the swelling midday crowd. Their destination lay just on the other side of the roaring fire pit, where the feasting hall joined onto the main house. In the centre of it a set of double doors lead into the hallway of Alvida's childhood home. Alvida's milk white hand jiggled the handle of the door gently. The sound of a latch clicking followed pretty quickly as the door swung open on creaking hinges.

Crafted from a mixture of wood and stone, the hallway was narrow with several doors leading off it. The main feature was a set of stairs in the centre of the left hand wall. Though the wood seemed aged it was sturdy and wide enough to fit two people standing side by side. Alvida gestured to the stairs and released Kelsie's hand. 'This way!' Charging forward she took the stairs two at a time, but it was a long way up. 'To the very top.' Once they had climbed all the way up to the top where the tiled roof made the ceiling slope, Alvida glanced up and directed Kelsie to do the same.

A hole, just big enough to fit someone through it, cast a square of light on the stretch of balcony that lined the fourth floor. 'Up there.' With the tip of her fingers she coaxed a crumbling wooden ladder down from top of the roof. 'Be careful.' She spoke plainly, probably the first time she had done so since meeting her fiery haired friend. 'The wood is old.' She gestured to some of the snapped rungs up the length of the ladder. 'It breaks sometimes when you are in the middle of climbing it.' With that said, the young wolf dashed up the rungs with a feather light touch. In the blink of an eye her shadow was slinking away from the bright morning sun that broke through the hole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom