Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fleeting/Starfighter Piloting

I’ve been thinking for a while now about making a Fleet character or a Starfighter pilot. Every time I think of doing this, I run into a few questions like:

1. Should I somehow find a way to rank my character up instead of starting off as a Commodore or something?

2. If I make a starfighter pilot, should I thread on how they learned to pilot said fighter?

I’m also asking for any sort of tips on Fleeting or Starfighter combat! Also please help me with finding an avatar for a fleeter or Starfighter pilot. Thanks for the responses/advice!

[member="Lasky Rynn"]

Ultimately, those decisions are yours, depending on what story you want to make. There are some factions that have some higher ranks restricted until you do some development, but for the most part you can start a character off as an Admiral or as a Squadron Commander.

What might make a good read, is start off as a mid to high level rank, and in your posts you can toss random flash backs to training, or certain battles from when they were younger.

Are you wanting to write an up and coming military officer, or do you want to dive in head first to something higher?

1. Tbh, I like to start off from both ends. I have Zahori who is an Admiral and [member="Douglas Reed"] who is a starfighter pilot. It's fun to try both sides. So whatever you see fitting you, whether it's dogfighting or commanding fleets or both, go for it!

2. You could dot hat yes. Either through simulations which si the norm and much safer if you ask me, or actually getting hands on. Whatever you wanna do, do it.

If you need help with fleeting, I've done quite a bit of fleeting in my day. I'd be glad to help.

[member="Lasky Rynn"]

[member="Lasky Rynn"]

I can't speak for any of the other factions on the board, but in the First Order, all our fleet commanders begin at the lowly rank of commander, or captain, and then work their way up from there. So if you want to start at commodore here, you can't, and really have to just knuckle down for a bit, and rank your way up.

As for tips. Fleeting is all about tactical decision making, and ensuring you have the right ships for the job. Whether that be large star destroyers for securing orbit for your allies, or the use of corvettes to skirt around cumbersome hypervelocity guns. Your environment should never be neglected, and the use of asteroids as either weapons or cover, or even nebulas can be vital in the pursuit of victory on the battlefield.
But perhaps most importantly, take hits. If you don't take hits, then what's the point of RPing in the first place? Particularly in a competitive setting like the invasions, its the golden rule to take damage.

But as for the avatar and stuff? Eh, its up to you. But in my opinion, stay away from the weebish animoo avatars.

Should you ever want somewhere to fleet, the First Order's always open. We're the Galaxy's strongest, and arguably most successful navy.

Progflaw99

[member="Lasky Rynn"]

Hi! Writing pilots or commanders (Starfighter or larger naval vessels) can be a LOT of fun, and quite rewarding! I'll try to give you answers to your questions here.

1. Should I somehow find a way to rank my character up instead of starting off as a Commodore or something?
  • Personally, I always find it most rewarding to start on the low end - most of the time not only does it give you time to learn how to write whether it's how to pilot a starfighter or command a frigate, but it also allows you to learn the terminology and the tactics (Not to mention practice understanding how ships move, at least within the bounds of Star Wars). Though you won't always have to start from the bottom, I find it's far more rewarding to start there and earn promotions as a part of developing the character.
2. If I make a starfighter pilot, should I thread on how they learned to pilot said fighter?
  • You can, though if you don't want to feel like you're slogging through "Lol what does this do?" even though you the writer know entirely what that control/button is for, most people pick up the story where their pilot has just been assigned to their squadron after graduation of an academy, or even a new joinee who was able to pass the competency tests - or even a veteran pilot of a civilian service, now serving in a faction's military. You've got a lot of options, go for what sounds the most fun for you!
I’m also asking for any sort of tips on Fleeting or Starfighter combat! Also please help me with finding an avatar for a fleeter or Starfighter pilot. Thanks for the responses/advice!

Fleeting has a high potential to get bogged down in numbers, meterage, and sometimes even just grasping the 360* Battlespace - but can be a lot of fun if the writers are good at explaining where they are in relation to other things. Same goes with starfighter pilots, minus the first two. Typically I find starfighter combat writing to be a blast! (Pardon the pun)

If you're interested, the Mara-Perlemian Trade Council is a newly formed minor faction, and we've got a lot of openings - but we've also got a small contingent of PC'd starfighter pilots! We may not have top of the line ships, or fancy subs just yet, but we make up for it in personality! Often times, starfighter pilots are defined by their close bonds with their fellow squadron mates both in and outside the cockpit. Feel free to take a look, and maybe drop in if it sounds like something you'd be interested in!

Link to Faction:
http://starwarsrp.net/groups/1011-mara-perlemian-trade-council/

[member="Lasky Rynn"]

I strongly recommend doing things the way the First Order does'em: start out commanding one ship, develop naturally through small task force into large fleets. You learn fundamental lessons when you start small that'll save your bacon at higher ranks. I can think of exactly one fleet writer in the last, oh, decade and a half who was any good at fleet battle without having started small, and that dude's in the navy. Basically, if you can't kick butt with a vanilla cruiser and a couple of corvettes, you've got no business waving a blingy command ship around. Hope that helps.

Fiolette Fortan

F
[member="Lasky Rynn"]

I echo the sentiments expressed by the majority here, start out with one ship. Rank can come into play later, but for right now get your feet wet with one ship and work your way into it. And this would work for either Starfighter or Fleeting. Both are great fun, so take your time learning and enjoy it!

[member="Keric Dynt"]

I was kind of thinking of playing as an up and coming military officer. Making my way through the ranks, not sure which faction I'd prefer though. One with some sort of Fleet at least, so I have someone to shadow or introduce me to it.

[member="Zahori Denko"]

Thank you so much for the help! Going to most likely make a Fleeter at this point. If not, a Starfighter pilot!

[member="Robogeber"]

Most likely will try the First Order, this new Trade Council type faction, or the SJO, not sure yet! (ay man ion watch animoo.)

[member="Atlas Viridian"]

Either going to try this out as a Pilot or Fleeter, or the FO. I like the upcoming factions as well!

[member="Jorus Merrill"]

That's what I plan on at this point. It definitely seems like it'd feel more rewarding to actually ranking up instead of just starting out high. Thanks for the advice!

[member="Fiolette Yvarro"]

Thanks for dropping by to respond! I appreciate all the help and suggestions from the community!

[member="Lasky Rynn"], I'm a little late to the party, but you've already got a lot of solid advice.

I originally started fleeting about a bit over a decade ago with a single Corellian gunship, and I've been hooked on it ever since. I find myself usually enjoying the use of a single ship (or several small ships) more than commanding large fleets led by massive command ships, because there tends to be more story opportunities to explore different parts of space, and people are generally more laid back about taking damage when the risks are low (a mass-produced frigate is pretty replaceable; the same can't be said of that unique, 3000 meter long warship).

If you want tips for writing either fleet characters or pilots, I really recommend the X-wing series. Most of the series is focused on the pilot's perspective, but Solo Command has almost as much focus on the fleeters. Zahn's Thrawn series and the Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy are also pretty decent.

If you're interested in fleeting with a light-side group, let me know. A couple of others and I run the Directorate, which is a minor faction that supports most major light-side factions (such as the Silver Jedi and the Galactic Alliance) with supplemental fleets and other military forces.

Grand Admiral, First Order Central Command
[member="Lasky Rynn"]

While I generally agree with my compatriots here, I would also add that if you feel like trying a bigger set piece, go for it. There's lots of great sources in literature, film, anime, and so on that can give you a great idea of how to write a big space battle. Don't be afraid to take a leap and if it seems suddenly overwhelming, dial back until you're comfortable. There's really at stake,after all.

This is not to dissuade you from starting small and growing and learning slowly, that's a fantastic way to do it and seems to work best. But maybe you read a lot of WW2 historical fiction or something and want to jump in on Star Wars Midway.

Just make sure it's all kosher with whatever faction you're running with, basically. Otherwise, it's always good to see more prospective fleeters, welcome.

Gir Quee said:
Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy
Concur with this recommendation, but just skip all the pointless and boring Lando chapters. Skim over the useless Luke stuff too (everything in the first two books).

[member="Lasky Rynn"]

Start small with a warship as the captain. Get the hang of it, and them move up. No you don;t have to rp training as it can be boring. If ya like I can vs you in a one on one fleet battle with Hala.

Get you started,

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom