Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flagship Development

82071cdf-98a2-4fe7-9703-d58c8ab1b8ec.jpg

We've been discussing this idea for a while now in chat, but I finally want to get started working on our first flagship. At 400 posts minimum (between at least 7 writers) I know it's a daunting task, but I think we can get through it with all the dev we typically put behind our projects collectively.

I'll be dropping a thread today to begin work, starting with some conceptualizing for the ship (I do not want to use the above image). Then we'll go on from there through organized phases of testing and development.

So bring your wares and wishlists, let's see what all we can pack into this thing. For now, I'm calling it the Warspite.

[member="Reshmar"] [member="Caius Flavian"] [member="Ali Hadrix"] [member="Charzon Loulan"] [member="Ayumi Pallopides"] [member="Gir Quee"] [member="Sanya Val Swift"] [member="Camilla Val Swift"]

((Apologies if I missed anyone in my tags.))

I'm going ahead and assume it cannot land on planets.

Nevertheless, I know [member="Reshmar"] commented on components he wanted to consider a deal for when I subbed the Rasta Sub, which too often are taken for granted, but all of which are linked to the Rasta Sub's ability to land on planets:

- Jessica variable-geometry landing gears
- Watchtower collision avoidance system (even though it isn't supposed to work on ships larger than Star Destroyers)
- Marcia repulsorlift generators (without which Rasta Subs, Exodus or even the Star Destroyer-sized ship designed from schematics resulting from the KDY heist would be unable to land)

Two of the components only managed to made it on the Exodus:

- Bulkhunter ion cannons (worth 12 standard turbolasers each)
- Lusankya super-heavy turbolasers (worth 30 standard turbolasers each)

And, if possible, outfit it with one or two squadrons of the following (despite the bomber design being closer to what dark-sided factions use): TIE/rv Reaver bomber

I'm up for this, and as always, pretty much anything the Labs makes is available for this project, if wanted.

Do we have a general design concept or picture of the Warspite?

Ayumi Pallopides

Heir to the Emperor, Former Senator of Denon
[member="Charzon Loulan"] there isn't really a restriction on who can post it... but you should post it with a plan in mind and something you can lay out. Phases, long term goals, things to work on and try to keep interest with all of the people. That is where a lot of flagship threads die off because few go in with a good plan it is just "lets make a flagship" and "gather materials" which may or may not be used in the end and could be seen as a waste in terms of activity. The GA's thread is the most successful by a large margin so far.

Here's a rough outline: more precise objectives will be laid out when each phase is activated.

Phase I: The Senate Armed Forces Committee (where many of our beloved tech players will testify in front of the Senate Armed Forces Committee, as the Senate Armed Forces Committee is faced with the prospect of spending several billion on the Warspite's construction)
Phase II: Planning stages (after the Senate Armed Forces Committee awards the flagship contract to the consortium made up of a number of shipwrights owned by the players)
Phase III: Materials
Phase IV: Components procurement (and design if novel components are required)
Phase V: Construction proper
Phase VI: Space trials
Phase VII: Commissioning ceremony

Alyona Volkovna (Алёна)

Алёна Вохин (Light of the Voxyn)
Charzon Loulan said:
Here's a rough outline: more precise objectives will be laid out when each phase is activated.

Phase I: The Senate Armed Forces Committee (where many of our beloved tech players will testify in front of the Senate Armed Forces Committee, as the Senate Armed Forces Committee is faced with the prospect of spending several billion on the Warspite's construction)
Phase II: Planning stages (after the Senate Armed Forces Committee awards the flagship contract to the consortium made up of a number of shipwrights owned by the players)
Phase III: Materials
Phase IV: Components procurement (and design if novel components are required)
Phase V: Construction proper
Phase VI: Space trials
Phase VII: Commissioning ceremony

Something like this is exactly what I was thinking we'd need to help organize and complete this. Good on you.

Caius Flavian

Faction Admin - The Galactic Republic
[member="Ayumi Pallopides"]

Arguably it should the In Character formulation of said ship rather than us dithering about OOC trying to figure out how to make this expensive space puppy.

[member="Charzon Loulan"]

Kudos on the initiative.

Jorga the Hutt

When life gives you Mandos, make Mando'ade
[member="Caius Flavian"]
[member="Suravi Teigra"]

I hopped into the thread as one of my alts, launching a couple stealth recon probes at random systems, just laying the groundwork for longer-term stuff. Would someone be able to do a quick post to tell me what my probes spot? Just looking for general big picture stuff like if there are fleets, shipyards, massive orbital defenses, lots of civilian traffic, etc.

Ayumi Pallopides

Heir to the Emperor, Former Senator of Denon
we have a name and the vague outline of a plan, the thread was launched when the majority who might have ideas or be involved aren't on, no prep time to come up with ideas or even something beyond a name. We are supposed to yes propose the development... except we have nothing that would show for a proposal and no idea how long each stage is. No idea if it is a massive warship that is going to outgun, or something that can wade into an enemy fleet and have so much armor and shielding they are distracted focusing fire. We don't know what systems are going on it, we don't even know where we are building it. Yes initiative is good but so is having a practical approach with a little more then "lets build this" helps a lot more. There is a reason why most flagship devs stall and that is because most plans have been "we want a flagship lets build it" The GA's so far i believe is the most successful

Yet upon reading the GA's flagship thread, almost nothing in it has any relevance whatsoever to anything remotely resembling a flagship: all that the GA does for the first 200 posts or so is about drinking and partying. They said so themselves that it gained flagship status because of a misplaced tag.

Here are the objectives of phase 1:
  • Press the case for the construction of a flagship to the Senate Armed Services Committee
  • Determine the allowable budget for its construction (if the case is successfully made for the flagship to be authorized in the first place)
  • Determine the scope statement (under the same proviso)
If we can't make it to 400 but still manage to scrape together 30+ posts with 3 writers, we can always settle for a 3000m-long battlecruiser much like the One Sith did for the Darr Itah.

Caius Flavian

[member="Rel Connory"]

I guess... But i have absolutely nothing going on at Umbara or Taboon for my up and coming post, so errr, yeah.
If you wanna give it sometime I'll have something for you but nothing soon as I'll be focused on just the initial opening and this early phase of things.

Jorga the Hutt

When life gives you Mandos, make Mando'ade
[member="Caius Flavian"]

It's not a high-priority thing, just wanting to know if there's anything serious in those systems. A sentence tacked onto your post would do fine.

[member="Caius Flavian"] Like the Senate Armed Services committee hearing, perhaps... something that massive would ICly warrant a hearing, much like the Executor-class was due to be scheduled in front of a Senate committee in canon before it could be approved (albeit as a 8km-long ship, rather than the 19km-long ship it actually became).

Caius Flavian

[member="Charzon Loulan"]

I gotcha and I'm all for it!

EDIT: Also for now I'm writing this as though we don't have a name for the warship. I would like to keep it vague for awhile before evening getting to that point IC.

We can do a poll for fun later on once we reach that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom