Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Order: Daughters of the Empire

Valessia Brentioch

V
R4m2Lo9.png
AFTER SECURING HER SEAT ON THE TRADE HALL, VALESSIA BRENTIOCH MAKES HER WAY BACK TO FIRST ORDER SPACE. HAVING LEFT DURING THE FIRST ORDER'S ECONOMIC SUMMIT, SHE MUST NOW FIND A WAY BACK INTO THE UPPER ECHELONS OF THE FIRST ORDER'S GOVERNMENT, AND SECURE AN INVESTMENT FOR HER COMPANY; SAN GUINEM TEXTUM.

MEANWHILE, MOFF NATASI FORTAN AND GENERAL VAAS UNDER THE SUPREME LEADER'S GUIDANCE MOVE TO SECURE THE THAKWAA AND ANOAT REGIONS.

VALESSIA EN ROUTE BACK TO BESPIN LEARNED OF THE FIRST ORDER'S MOVEMENTS INTO THAKWAA AND DETOURED TO THE PLANET OF RYOONE. THERE SHE MET WITH THE LYUNESI, A FRAIL HUMANOID SPECIES WITH A MASTERFUL COMMAND OVER LINGUISTICS AND DIPLOMACY. NEGOTIATIONS WERE CONDUCTED OVER THE COURSE OF TWO DAYS. WHEREIN THE SCION OF HOUSE BRENTIOCH SECURED THE PLANET OF RYOONE ALONG WITH MINING RIGHTS ON BEHALF OF THE FIRST ORDER.

MOFF FORTAN RECEIVES WORD OF VALESSIA'S ACCOMPLISHMENTS AND SUMMONS THE SCION TO DOSUUN AT THE FIRST ORDER'S CAPITAL OF AVALONIA...

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsAH53qCO5U[/media]
Avalonia, Dosuun
Capitol Complex; Moff Fortan's Office

Valessia had been invited to Avalonia at Moff Fortan's invitation. She'd only briefly met the Moff at the Economic Summit, and had little time to research the Moff's history. She was walking into this meeting blind, dumb and deaf as she felt vulnerable without Edra, Paddy and Sumiko at her side. Each had something to do and it left Valessia alone, not that she minded terribly but this meant she should have spent more time preparing for the meeting than doing other things. Between her victory in securing a seat on the Trade Hall, maneuvering herself against the Curovao family, and dealing with Haytham Kaze's Ruusan deal, she admittedly had been caught off guard by the invitation.

One would think she would've been more prepared, she couldn't blame anyone else but herself. Hopefully, this was a simple thank you and nothing else. Valessia had dressed quickly, and simply - a consequence not preparing ahead of time for the meeting. The hallways were beautifully constructed the light flowed in naturally as Valessia walked down to the Moff's office, shadows played against light along her skin.

There hadn't been a lot of traffic down this part of the complex, she'd be the first of the morning or so it would seem. Taking a deep breath she gave herself a pep talk. This had been what she had been aiming for, although ultimately she'd much prefer to deal with General Vaas than Moff Fortan. Fortan seemed... formidable in their first and albeit brief encounter on Bespin. Smoothing out her clothing with her hands she closed her eyes a moment and focused.

Swallowing hard she looked up at the grand and somewhat towering doors that led to the Moff's office. Opening them she walked into the foyer of the office and greeted the secretary warmly, "good morning, I'm here to see Moff Fortan. I have an eight o'clock appointment."

[member="Natasi [/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=14px][FONT='trebuchet ms']Fortan"]

skin, bone, and arrogance
Sioux looked up from her work to take in [member="Valessia Brentioch"], then nodded curtly. "Just a moment, Ms. Brentioch." Sioux stood up and let herself into Natasi's office, then emerged a moment later. "You can go in," she said. Natasi was looking over a document when Valessia came in, reaching the bottom of the page as her eyes rapidly whipped back and forth across the flimsi, until at last she reached the bottom. She picked up her pen, unscrewed the lid, and placed a flourishing signature there. "Do come in, Ms. Brentioch, I won't be a moment." She finished by placing her initials on a line at the very top of the page, then closed the folder and placed it in her outbox. Finally, she stood, screwing the lid back onto her pen and walking around her desk to greet [member="Valessia Brentioch"] properly, with a warm handshake.

"I'm pleased to see you again. We were worried when we didn't see you at the rest of the summit. I hope you weren't ill," Natasi said pleasantly after releasing her hand. "Have a seat, would you please?" She gestured to the conversational area, featuring two sofas facing one another across an elegant coffee table, as well as two comfortable-looking armchairs that were half-facing one another at one side of the sofas. The trickling of water could be heard clearly in the room, emanating from a fountain built into the wall behind Natasi's desk. "Would you care for some tea? Coffee? Sioux -- bring Ms. Brentioch whatever she requires. And tea for me." She walked over to the conversation area, waiting for Valessia to seat herself.

Natasi was dressed in a more-or-less conservative black frock, black high heels of shiny patent leather, and as ever, a Cosmic Balance brooch, which was pinned at the apex of her neckline and held in place a white silk scarf that formed a collar. Her nails were polished but her hands still wrapped in flesh-colored bandages where her palms had been injured on her latest trip to Bespin. "You look well. Thank you so much for coming on short notice, I appreciate it."

Valessia Brentioch

V
Valessia followed the secretary into the Moff's office and returned the warm greeting and handshake, "and I am pleased to see you again, Moff Fortan." Her lips thin out as she heads toward a more conversational area, it's more open and she can appreciate good furniture. Sweeping her dress beneath her, she's offered a refreshment, "water would be fine, thank you." She doesn't miss the part where the Moff thought she was ill and the truth of the matter she wished she had been, as she'd been forced back home to deal with more than a number of both pleasant and unpleasant developments.

"No, not ill, though I appreciate your concern, I had a death in the family," she says with a pang of remorse in her voice, "my brother actually." Things are quiet and she decides it would be best to move forward from there and compliment the Moff's wardrobe. It's not unlike her own styling on days in the office, "that is a beautiful brooch." Accessories did make the woman, or say they say, Val didn't have much in the way of those at least, not today. Nothing to indicate to the riff-raff that she was a noble of any sort.

After a moment or two, "I have to admit, I did not expect to receive an invitation to Avalonia, so soon." Well, that was bold, but then after having to face down a crime family's leader head on. A Moff wasn't so scary after all, was she? The scion would soon find out.

[member="Natasi Fortan"]

Natasi nodded to Sioux, who left and summoned someone to bring in refreshments, then took a seat at one end of the sofa, crossing her legs primly and turning towards [member="Valessia Brentioch"]. "Oh, I am sorry," Natasi said, frowning gravely. She was reminded of the death of her brother, Mathes, and of the shock and grief that had overwhelmed her. She wanted to offer her something -- some wisdom or advice she could give -- but she knew that every person experienced loss in their own way, and beyond that, every family was different, every loss was different. So she did what her Galidraani upbringing told her to do: smiled sadly and said, "You have my condolences. If there is anything we can do, please don't hesitate."

A moment later, a junior secretary came in with a tray with a glass of water for Valessia and a cup of tea for Natasi. She nodded her thanks and when they were alone again, Natasi smiled at the compliment. "Oh -- thank you, Ms. Brentioch. It is a copy of one that I had before... well -- before that nasty business on Hoth," she concluded delicately. The original had been given to Ludolf Vaas in her will, and Natasi had not asked for it back, nor would she accept it.

"It's curious that you should say that," Natasi replied to Valessia's comment about her invitation to Avalonia. "We were grateful to you for your actions on Ryoone. I was eager to discuss your activities and to see if you would be interested in continuing them on behalf of the Supreme Leader."

Valessia Brentioch

V
Valessia simply nodded in acknowledgment and replied politely to the junior secretary, "thank you." And turning toward the Moff, "and thank you, I appreciate it, truly." She was grateful for the Moff's offer of condolences. Indeed, everyone mourned in their own unique way, and the Scion had done more than mourn her brother. Given that she'd consider him dead to her for years, at least now she had a body to bury. Gingerly, she sipped her glass of water and set it down, ensuring a coaster was between it and the nearby table.

She remained quiet but her expression conveyed some sort of... Sympathy for the Moff, as it seemed there was something to the business of Hoth aside from the evident descriptor of nasty. Then again, Hoth was nasty all on its own without any assistance. "I am more than happy to assist the true heirs of the Empire," she says with conviction. Ryoone had been challenging she couldn't simply dust them all with persuasion dust or count on Sumiko's mentalist abilities, no she had to rely on good ol' fashioned negotiation techniques. "I am more than happy to discuss my report in detail with you."

Her hands were folded in her lap she's still a little tense and has yet to relax, this is not her arena.

@Natasi Fortan

Natasi stirred some sugar into her tea and then lifted it to her lips and took a sip. She regarded the woman across the sofa over the rim of her teacup. There was something lean and hungry about the looks of [member="Valessia Brentioch"]; to Natasi's eye, this was a being comprised about 95% of ambition. She would have to be careful with her. Whatever happened, Natasi could not -- would not -- let the woman threaten her position. She made a note to ask Sioux to dig up what she could find on Valessia and her family, and to proceed from there.

"As you may have heard, I was rather indisposed at the summit on Bespin -- again -- you might say I've started a trend," she said with an indulgent smirk. "So I've only really got the basic sketch of what transpired at Ryoone. I'd like you to give me the full picture, if you would." The young woman stirred her tea and rested the teaspoon in the saucer, lifting the cup up to take another sip. "How did you know about our efforts in the region? Your work there was... impressive, shall we say," Natasi said, cocking her head to one side and regarding her curiously.

Valessia Brentioch

V
Valessia at the age of thirty-four was more hungry for the world than she had been at twenty-two. Older, a little wiser and had learned a thing or two since her youth. The first of which was smile more, talk less. She too studied the other woman before her, this woman, Moff Fortan. A woman who looked like she had held this position for some time and surely Valessia was going to seem like an upstart. A newcomer to the organization, who would have to pay their dues just like anywhere else. Here her words would mean more, and here her actions would ripple throughout the galaxy but they would only go as far as the Moff allowed them.

She knew the type, she'd been around the type. Women who would only do so much, you're not meant to outshine them. You're meant to help polish their resume. She gave the Moff a side smile, one of that who was impressed, she had to be. Valessia knew how to tread around this one, this Moff, the woman held a smirk but something lurked behind it. The waters she was treading seemed murky, words would matter in this conversation but more than that it would be how she said these words. If she moved too fast the waters would work against her, move too slow and she won't go, so no matter how passionate and no matter how much conviction she had in her tone. It wouldn't matter, not with this one, no.

"Ryoone," Valessia says and the memory of the Lyunesi makes it way into her mind and her smile remains, it's neutral as is her tone. She was on her way back to Bespin, funny. She came back to the First Order, remembering just how fun it was here, and how it just stirred something in her own veins. The Dark Side and the Empire, how fitting that she would be here in this very office, but those thoughts were cast to the back of her mind and she kept her tone, "let's just say I've always kept my ears to the ground," there's a pause as she takes a sip of her water and places it back down, being ever so careful with her actions, "it was a little out of the way, I'll admit."

"I reached out to the Lyunesi and asked if they would be interested in negotiations," and it just so happened they were finding themselves on a, not so kind end of the totem pole on their planet. "They agreed, and I was allowed to come down and speak with them and their delegation." Straightforward and to the point. "I thought it would take longer to negotiate with them, but they needed help securing their position of authority over the planet." Help that no doubt the First Order would be willing to provide, "in return they would not only work for us but allow us to mine on their planet."

There was no point in using force persuasion on them, they'd see it coming. "It was not easy, by any means although frail, the Lyunesi are masters of communication. Verbal, and non-verbal," she knew at least that much. She was not going to let on that one of the members of the delegation cracked, she poked at the crack until it ruptured and she gained favor. Valessia ensures to sound strong here, "words, tone, and how I postured myself mattered greatly, they were watching me. An outsider to the First Order, coming to their aide. At first, they felt as if they were lesser, but I assured them that they mattered." Their mines mattered more, but they didn't need to know that, "words can be just as comforting as they are treacherous."

[member="Natasi Fortan"]

Devious.

Perhaps it was too strong a word, Natasi amended internally, but if she took the line from evasive out to its natural conclusion, it would lead directly into devious territory. This wasn't necessarily a bad thing; Natasi knew that deceit was an effective tool in the diplomatic arsenal. In recent months -- since Hoth, really -- Natasi had tried to limit its use. She wanted to be better, more honest. This had caused her significant personal pain, but her newly direct, honest approach had done wonders for her professional life. She told colleagues how things were -- politely, in a friendly way -- but how they were and things were getting done. It was remarkable. Natasi smiled over the rim of the teacup at [member="Valessia Brentioch"]. "Very well," Natasi said after a moment, one manicured eyebrow arching subtly, in response to her explanation for how she had come to know about the First Order's operations in the region. "Let's put a in in that for now."

Confident.
This, at least, was not an overstatement. Valessia Brentioch was oozing the stuff. She had talent. She knew what she was doing, at least as far as the Lyunesi were concerned. And they were not an easy species, Natasi knew from her inquiries into them. That she had taken the initiative in dealing with them, and done so well, spoke highly of her abilities, but Natasi suspected that however highly anyone thought of her abilities, Valessia Brentioch would always think that much higher. There was nothing wrong with that, either. High achievers always knew their value. Some were modest -- Natasi liked to think that was true of herself in the sense that she was not a braggart, but simply answered the call when it came. "Impressive -- most impressive," Natasi said with a smile, then took another sip of her tea. "Already we are seeing our stockpiles of those materials increase. This will come in handy to any number of our projects. So -- thanks for that."

She set her teacup down and leaned back a little. "I would like to express the First Order's appreciation for your efforts." She stood and crossed back over to her desk before returning with a small box, sealed with a black ribbon. Inside the small wooden box was a pen. Natasi had designed it herself of the finest materials -- onyx and platinum, with an engraving of V. Brentioch. "So. On behalf of the Supreme Leader and myself, thank you for your services to his Empire."

Valessia Brentioch

V
If Valessia hadn't known any better, she'd say she was dealing with one of her mother's, friends. She delighted to hear that the First Order had been receiving a steady supply of minerals and ore from Ryoone. "Good," She acknowledges but notes how Moff Fortan speaks, keeping her own posture relaxed. The scion studies the moff, if this would be the one and only time she'd meet with this woman, she wouldn't haven given her a second look. Something told Val that she and the Moff would see each other again, and it seemed, perhaps she would be working for this woman.

Once again, the noblewoman found herself as something of a tool for yet another organization, this time, the Imperial First Order. Valessia leaned into the chair as she watched Moff Fortan cross the room toward her desk. She remained silence, expression neutral. Watching her return with a small box, thanking Valessia for her efforts, "it is the least I can do, after all, those poor unfortunate souls were in need, in pain - wishing to exert their dominance." And who would know better about dominance than the heirs of the Empire? "What's this?" She asks, a little surprised as she takes the box.

A less cultured person might've been disgruntled at the sight of a pen, but then they were peasants. The brunette smiles as she looks over the craftsmanship, The engraving was truly a work of art in itself, the pen - mightier than the sword, as it's been said. Valessia would have to agree, diplomacy could go a long, long way - but without action to back it up, it meant nothing. "And what a glorious Empire it is, and perhaps in time. I could come to serve his Empire once more."

[member="Natasi Fortan"]

Natasi smirked. "It's funny you should mention that," she said after a moment's pause. Her eyebrows lofted (see, e.g., the image to the left) and she resumed her seat. "I understand you are a businesswoman and your contracts with the First Order are known to me. I would understand, rather, if you were very busy with those affairs. But after reading about what happened on Ryoone, I am unable to view you as a mere businesswoman. I see you as a resource to be exploited -- ethically, of course, but exploited nonetheless." She leaned back on the sofa cushions, crossing her legs and resting her arm across the back of the sofa. Her maincured fingernails curled under her palm.

"I don't normally go around making hiring decisions for the Ministry of State, but in this instance I feel it's warranted to micromanage. I'd like to take you on as a representative of the First Order. Your business background will give you credibility in the business community. We laid excellent groundwork at the summit on Bespin, but there is more to be done. I feel that someone with your skill and background could be -- well, rather beneficial, to say the least." Natasi reached for her teacup with her other hand and took a sip.

"What are your thoughts? I won't bore you with details if you're not interested."

[member="Valessia Brentioch"]

Valessia Brentioch

V
Valessia merely nodded acknowledging the Moff at least once, “that I am.” She affirmed, but then most if not all Brentaalans considered themselves, business people. That was news, “pardon me,” she says interrupting the woman for a moment, “contracts? They went through then?” Well, she did her best to retain any sort of expression of happiness or sorrow only to say with the most well placed neutral tone, “then you have my gratitude.”

Ethically. Of course, even she understood that much, when there was a resource such as she (Valessia) and when that resource was willing to work. Why waste the opportunity? “Of course not,” but looks to Moff Fortan with her eyes as if to say, if every riff-raff with talent walked through then this wouldn’t be the First Order. It would be, well, it wouldn’t be the First Order, we’ll leave it at that.

“There will always be more to do, mhmmm?” She countered, “a woman’s work is never done.” And if they left things to the men, then this Empire would never accomplish a thing. Oh, her skills and background were more than beneficial, she could fill a gap between the Moff and other ministries around Dosuun or perhaps within the Imperial First Order itself. Valessia hadn’t missed the part of micromanaging, and again, the woman in front of her reminded her very much of a younger Carmina Brentioch, Valessia’s mother. She’d have to be careful with this one, very much so, still.

The brunette took a moment, her posture hadn’t yet fully relaxed into the backing of the sofa, though she looked the part of power as she sat there, deliberating in her mind. A representative of the First Order, now that was much loftier than simply a noble from Brentaal IV. Brentaal IV boasted many ... Nobles, but fewer could say the worked for the First Order. [SIZE=14.6667px]Valessia[/SIZE] studied Natasi and then replied, “a representative of the Order?” Her lips pursed together and there was something in her voice, something that made itself known as she probed for more information, “and just what kind of representative are we speaking of?” It was an honest question, and one she was allowed to ask before accepting the role but have no doubt.

Valessia Brentioch very much wanted to accept this offer.

[member="Natasi Fortan"]

"Right you are," Natasi said with a smirk at her observation. "Do you know my granny used to say -- frightful old battle-axe of a woman, but she had the best clothes -- she used to say: if you want something said, ask a man. If you want something done, ask a woman. And I think she was right about that. Not that men can't get things done, but a woman really knows how to put her head down, face the difficult facts, and do it." She shrugged her delicate shoulders, lifted her teacup and took another sip. "At any rate, what's clear to me is that you have ... shall we say, a self-starting attitude."

The Moff set her teacup down with a small chink of china against china.

"The Diplomatic Service is... complicated," Natasi explained. "I feel as if I am a full body. When I go somewhere, people take notice. People move out of my way. Governments, too. They know I'm there." She paused. "When I send the Minister of State, that's like... an arm. Less noticeable, but still substantial. An ambassador -- a fist. What I'm looking for is a finger. A surgical, precise, knowledgeable tool to deploy in a way that it is most effective -- to gather diplomatic intelligence and report back, to nudge events in just the right way." She looked at [member="Valessia Brentioch"]. "I think that's you. You don't appear to need too much supervision. Your Imperial bona fides seem legitimate. You've done us a good turn already." She shrugged again, this time as if to say alea iacta est. "What do you think? With your business background, a trade representative might be just the thing."

Valessia Brentioch

V
"She was a wise woman, your grandmother," Valessia complimented as she reached back for her glass of water, such sentiments were not shared by her family. Taking the moment to quench her thirst, the Scion kept her ears opened listening, a bemused expression washed over her facial features when the Moff made the point of saying that Val had something of a self-starting attitude. If only the Moff knew just how much of that attitude was practically bred into Brentaalans. If you weren't a self-starter you got nowhere and lived in places like the Eye, where living in a flat that working plumbing was a gift.

Quietly, the brunette watched as the other woman set her tea cup down.

She listened, as Moff Fortan explained, rather - elaborated on what it was she was offering exactly. Diplomacy was always complicated, no different than a contract or a business deal. At least, in Valessia's most humble opinion, and then Moff Fortan went into this elaboration. Using, a metaphor as it were, the brunette continued to listen. Eyes set on the Moff, watching her speak, nodding when necessary - enough to let the other woman know she was still engaged in this conversation.

A surgical, precise, knowledgeable tool. Valessia kept her expression neutral, she knew she'd be reduced back to the status of an object, no one simply walks into an organization and demands a rank. Well, no one who had class and a sense of duty anyway. Gathering diplomatic intelligence, and report back, to whom? The Moff? Most likely, she considered as the brown haired woman continued to speak - she spoke the truth, Valessia required little in the way of supervision and was, an Imperial. "It sounds like you have a brand new Trade Representative, Moff Fortan."

"I have my own vessel in which I can get around First Order space," she pursed her lips together, bringing the glass of water to her lips. When she's done with it, she leans over and sets it back down on the coaster. Shifting her weight on the couch she looks to the Moff and says to her, a finger to her lips as she thought for a moment, "and to where should you direct your surgical instrument ?"

[member="Natasi Fortan"]

Natasi considered her position, her dark eyes thoughtful. Finally, she stood and took her now-empty teacup to the sideboard and set it down. There was a companionable silence between them for a moment while Natasi dithered around with the electric kettle, setting it to boil again before turning back to [member="Valessia Brentioch"]. "I did have a thought," Natasi said. "I've recently received some information about a world called Yalara. Have you heard of it? It seems there might be something of interest to the Supreme Leader there. I can't divulge the full details yet, of course, but we would be interested in setting up some sort of dialogue with the residents there. And then, there is the matter of Effekt..."

She sat on the arm of the chair next to Valessia and began to discuss their options...

Sioux knocked on the door and entered, apologized for the interruption, and then indicated that Natasi's next appointment was there. Natasi smiled apologetically to Valessia and offered her hand. "I'm afraid we'll have to leave it there. But do go down to twenty-five and pick up the contracts I mentioned. Set up the direct deposit, whatnot." She stood and walked towards the door. "Of course if you need anything you've got my card."

Valessia Brentioch

V
Valessia sat back and watched, waiting for her orders. When the kettle was set once more, Natasi spoke. "Briefly, it was but a footnote in Imperial history," well, Imperial Remnant and the Empire Reborn era, but it was all that she knew of it. "I see," she says in acknowledgment, and if the Supreme Leader wanted something from Yalara then it would be her privilege to fetch, mold or do whatever it was, she was tasked. "I see, then I shall set out at once my research as I travel to Yalara. I'll have a report to you on both Yalara and Effekt..."

The two continued to discuss the assignment in detail until such a time as the next appointment for the Grand Moff had arrived. "Of course Grand Moff at once, yes, I shall have it all taken care of," Valessia replied obediently, as she stood and took her leave. She'd dispatch Edra to pick up what she needed to have with her for the trip, for now, she was going to make use of her black market contacts to dig up as much as she could on Yalara and then perhaps tea with [member="Sumiko Tanaka"] later on...

Admiral Fiolette Yvarro, many of the First Order's finest had been taught by her, she was feared and respected. The old bag had reportedly been given cybernetics, heaven knows she's seen enough battles and had survived the direst of situations. She walked the halls heading toward Grand Moff Fortan's office. Grand Moff [member="Natasi Fortan"], she scoffed at the thought but then leave it to her brother's daughter to have such an ambition. Again she scoffed her brother, that gas bag. Though it should be noted that Admiral Yvarro dared not to display any sort of emotion, not even here as she graced those around her with her presence. Frejrik he was an agreeable fellow, yes, but like anyone else could be quite nasty, her thoughts went to his daughter, Natasi. She would have liked to have known her instead of relying on the lips of the servants as she worked her way through the Imperial Navy.

c13779c71bc755d252ed5fe4eb0ebd58.jpg

Fiolette arrived at the Grand Moff's office and didn't bother with the woman at the front. If she couldn't have the competence to ring, the Moff from her desk then what good was she at her job? She wore her usual distinguishing outfit, her uniform, her boots, and her ego all of which went hand in hand. She exuded someone who had not only held power but had seen fit to mold it into her image. A poor employee of the Grand Moff raced to beat the Admiral to the doors, as the newly minted Trade Representative Valessia Brentioch departed the very same set of doors.

"Your ladyship, Admi-"

"Admiral Fiolette Yvarro," said the Admiral as she introduced herself, "commander of task force 741 and of the Imperial Starship Tarkin." More formally it was the First Imperial Vessel, though such lengthy titles need not be said within their own borders; just to the outsiders who needed to know the fear that came with battling the First Order.

Natasi inclined her head as the Admiral Yvarro barged into the room. Old Ironpants, as she was known quietly among the Ministry of Defense, was rather an interesting figure, with coiffed white hair -- perhaps platinum, Natasi mused -- and dressed well. Natasi rather liked her on first inspection, but such impressions rarely lasted. Natasi extended a hand. "Grand Moff Natasi Fortan, commander of -- well, everything and everyone, I suppose," she said with a jovial smile. "Come in." She shut the door behind the woman and walked over towards the sidebar.

"I've just put the kettle on," Natasi explained to Fiolette. "But I've also got sparkling and still water, and a collection of stronger selections. Can I offer you anything?"

When the refreshments had been settled, Natasi went to her desk and sat, activating a button to lower the monitors into the desk so that nothing obstructed her view of the Admiral. "How can I help, Admiral Yvarro?"

Valessia Brentioch

V
tumblr_ly16e3TILc1qzc6foo1_500.gif
Already
Yvarro was determining just how long this Grand Moff would last. It had been quite a long time since one had been appointed and she was skeptical, still, the young woman was of a good family, decent breeding and well mannered. The attitude wreaked of her family and she could smell it from orbit, haughty, strong willed and a touch of insecurity, but then what good member of their life didn't have such qualities. "Oh," she only says after being invited in, "I appreciate your hospitality but I must, decline." She says looking at the office itself, inspecting it as one inspects the newest recruit who's just learning to put on their boots.

And while she was normally apt to say something depreciating about the person before her, instead she kept her heart where it was. Her niece had grown up into a beautiful young woman who had become everything their family had hoped and more. The older woman stood there knowing more about the Grand Moff than most, such as the young woman was adored by the family butler Mr. Hendersmith, even if the hopes and dreams of the family had been pinned elsewhere. Fiolette was in awe Natasi and for once the older woman had to take a seat, her expression was still neutral even if internally she felt like screaming to the heavens with joy.

How wonderful it would have been to have raised Ferrathias and Natasi together as cousins, or as the cousins that they should have been there on Galidraan. A small smile might've escaped her when she watched her niece sit behind that large desk of hers, oh how Reima would be proud. Reima was, well, she was Reima, and Fiolette adored her to no end - for the woman was a free spirit on a world where such things were suppressed in favor of order, discipline and all the things that made their family strong, she supposed. The Admiral wondered just how much of Reima's spirit had transferred into Natasi, or if Frejrik had burnt it all in the sake of cultivating the young girl into the heir.

"May I be honest with you, Grand Moff?" Admiral Yvarro was now speaking and - it seemed out of character, for whatever high-strung tone she had been known for had vanished here in this office. "For I have something I wish to confess but it needs to be, should we say, off the record?"

[member="Natasi Fortan"]

The Grand Moff regarded Admiral Yvarro from across the desk with some measure of interest and curiosity. "Very well," she responded to the Admiral's refusal of refreshments with a polite smile, and gestured to the visitor's chairs in front of her desk. "Please, take a seat if you like." Natasi smoothed her skirt under her legs as she sat down, crossing her ankles primly and leaning them to the side. The woman's words put Natasi on edge a little; there was no 'record', strictly speaking. Words that followed such a statement were usually no better than gossip, for which Natasi had little time or patience. She had no stomach for office politics. But it wouldn't do to prejudge the woman based on this once sentence."

"Very well," she said cautiously, screwing the lid on her pen and setting it down next to her notebook. "Consider this meeting off the record. There is no way to get it off the diary, but there will be no need to enter the contents of the meeting into the system if you'd prefer we kept it off the record." She inclined her head and fixed Yvarro with a look of curiosity and apprehension. "What is it, exactly, that you need to confess?" She steeled herself for the worst -- crashed Star Destroyers, worlds in flame, something -- and clasped her fingers together under the desk on her lap.

Valessia Brentioch

V
[member="Natasi Fortan"]

Fiolette watched quietly as Natasi braced herself, and only smiled. Smiled, there was something that the Iron Dragon didn't do, or at least wasn't known for. "Grand Moff," she began and did her best to conceal her true emotions, "a long time ago, I was once a member of a noble Galidraan family such as yourself, in fact, I was once a Lady of Herevan." She was now amused with the memories, "and I had a younger brother, Frejrik."

"I'm your Aunt," she said after that without missing a beat, "removed from the family after I had the gall to divorce my husband, a second cousin who I now share a son with." Not that she wanted to, mind you, but the words women's rights wasn't something she had then, and it was only after she had had her son did she realize what she was to her father, to her brother, to her husband and to the men and other women of Galidraan. She was always supposed to be waiting, waiting until she got married and had children, she would make calls, work charity and have clothes of the season. Her price for her own freedom was to be cut off from her family, forced to watch her nephew and niece grow up from afar, and thus she remarried becoming Fiolette Yvarro and moving on with her life.

Natasi half-turned her chair, the swivels working smoothly, silently, until she faced the window. The broad expanse of Avalonia stretched out as far as she could see, to the cliffs, to the spaceports, to the mountains. Winter was coming; the mountains were already white with snow, and the frosts melted later and later each morning. It was beautiful -- comfortable. Almost like being back home. The younger woman considered what she had heard, her dark eyes rolling in their sockets, and when she spoke it was with a tone of amusement. "Ah. One of these."

She was silent for a moment, during which time, she heard the kettle sing. She stood, strolled easily over to the sideboard, and poured the water into a teapot. She put it on a tray with a teacup, carried it back to her desk, where she placed it safely on the corner. Only once she had been seated did she turn her chair back to face Yvarro. "Since I was appointed Grand Moff, I have been getting all sorts of -- well, you know how it can be, people smell a bit of money or power and they come out of the woodwork." Natasi shook her head dismissively. "And since the family trees on Galidraan are so... convoluted ...it can take some time to investigate. I must say, you're the first from the Navy, so that's something at least."

She stared coldly across the table at Fiolette.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom