Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jsc

Disney's Princess
I'm searching for feedback about how to better use images in my RPs.

Specifically. I've used lots of media in my RPs over the years. From gifs, to pngs, to youtube soundtracks, etc. If it's media, I've probably slapped it in an RP. And yes. To answer the question; has that always been a successful? No. No it has not. In fact, sometimes it was a horrible, horrible, terrible addition. Whether it be because the media was unwanted, unprofessional, unbecoming, oversized, oversaturated, or just downright overtly annoying. I've made all those mistakes before as well too.

Now. For clarity. I have a very simple set of personal rules these days that I'm looking forward to mixing up a bit. First. Images should only be used as headers and be no larger than 550px in length and 250px in height. IE, small and long. (I broke this rule rather recently and I actually felt terrible about it days later.) Secondly, music should only be used during duels. Otherwise, everybody starts posting music too and your adventure thread suddenly loses all sense of rhythm, theme, and location. Bouncing back and forth in emotion and audio every time somebody else starts talking and it's hideous and we should just kill the thread already omgmakeitstop. :p

Anyway. I noticed that lots of people these days are swinging away at the whole "my post needs an image header" thing and thought now would be a good time to check the temperature of the water before I dive in.

Thusly. What advice would you give to a fella looking to be more deliberate in his image use? Any feedback and advice for this old gray hair?

r4pKCkz.png
OOC Post
Tags: [member="Jay Scott Clark"]​
Er6tw3E.png
Do whatever feels best and looks coolest to you, mate.
Additionally: Felt like countering your usual humor with some of my own.
For music with effect, go opera to really annoy the opposition.

Gilamar Skirata

The most important step is always the next one
Personally I think music is fine whenever it fits the character's story you're writting. Music has no bearing on the thread as a whole because threads aren't one person or even one group's story. It's everyone's individual story.

But also stop posting music with words. It's weird and you should feel bad.

Personally I'm a big fan of music in rps, I've always attempted to write things cinematically, trying to bridge the gap between the movies and the books. it doesn't always work and it's usually my fault when that happens

Music can set the mood like nothing else. I usually try to keep to the same orchestral feel as john williams or at least composers from the clone wars and such, I also try to give my characters "soundtracks", a little something to fall back on when certain themes reoccur with my characters. I also try to match the mood of the current thread or the style of music my dueling partner seems to be going for[Me and amon vizsla had an interesting fight between mandos, involved a lot of wardruna and witcher 3 osts once i tried to match his style]

Then there's images. Sometimes images make things so much better, like if you're on a very nondescript planet and then someone posts a picture of what they interpret as the scenery around you, it can turn confusion and otherwise bland scenes[appearance wise] into something better. I also enjoy seeing little details like hypserspace gifs and such.

Now, the thing about images is that you don't really need them once someone starts posting really detailed descriptions, though sometimes those can lengthen already chunky posts. So I suppose in the end it's all about balancing and feeling for the other writers.

And then you have me and my ooc shenanigans like running into a mando traitor and posting that gif alongside the mortal kombat theme xDD
I may have ruined the thread's immersion, but I got a few laughs, so i can't decide if it was good or bad lmao

One of the huge advantages of headers and dividers is the opportunity to create a consistent theme or mood in what would otherwise be a very varied cast of characters. This is something major factions do, particularly in invasions. In my experience, as a member of the First Order, having a set of dividers and headers we could use to give quick OOC information, and mark objectives was immensely helpful in organising our side of the naturally messy invasions and dominions, and ensuring more consistent writing on our side.

Another great thing about headers and dividers is they can serve as a sort of shorthand to indicate a character archetype. Much like one's signature, character tags, and profile image, a good header and divider can instantly tell you information about a characters alignment, faction membership, and even communicate a particular feeling or convey a specific theme.

Speaking once again from my experience in the First Order, I found that having my own and my allies' posts embellished with all the bells and whistles of faction-specific media made me feel more like a part of the faction, and helped me keep on-track with theming and tone when I was writing.

I like art. I am guilty as sin when it comes to sticking art in everything I can get my hands on. If there is a way to slam that lovely CIS logo onto something, trust me, I'll find it xD whether it's a regular faction thread, dominion, personal thread, or invasion. [We've got...Hundreds of dividers...we may have a problem lol]

Beyond that, I occasionally add pieces of character art too. I don't personally use music as often, but sometimes, when a post is heavy on a certain emotion I might tag in a link.

That being said - I 100% don't mind seeing it when others do it. Writing is a form of expression. Art and Music, respectively, just add to that experience. It has the potential to add layers of flavor to something that can allow the reader to envision what's going on. It can also add a little additional insight to the characters involved. That isn't to say that writing shouldn't speak for itself, but, there's nothing wrong imo about adding a little more flair or fun. I also don't see any harm when others dislike it. Really, it's just preference.

The only beef I have is when images are loaded that stretch/fill the page. Other than that - Have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom