Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feedback and Critique, Please

So, lately I've been feeling like my character is really... cliche, or typical in some way. I just want to do and be so many things at once because it's been so fun RPing with you guys in the short time I've been here, but at the same time I don't want to over-saturate my character with interests and abilities and whatnot to the point where it just seems dull and annoying for other people. I also sort of feel like this reflects in my RP at times, and I carry over a lot of bad habits from past roleplaying platforms. I know that this is all for fun, and I want to keep it that way for not only myself and other people!

So please, look over my bio and tell me what you think. Also, if you have a thread with me, please let me know about that too! If not, I'd appreciate if you went through some of my content/posts, but I don't want to force anyone's time.

Thank you!

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Myles Vylumnar said:
I don't want to over-saturate my character with interests and abilities and whatnot to the point where it just seems dull and annoying for other people.
2cents incoming. :p

One of the best ways to avoid 'skill over-saturation' and a 'Mary Sue-similar' roleplay styles is to focus on your character's IC goals. Not, your OOC goals as a writer. Remember that one of the biggest pitfalls an RP writer can make is to superimpose themselves over or on-top of their characters. You feel like you are on the adventure. Not Myles.

Naturally the complications from superimposing yourself onto your character are myriad. So I won't even go into that clusterkark here. Suffice it to say that as long as you can keep your imagination grounded in Myles goals, Myles weaknesses, and Myles fantasies? Then you'll always grow your character in natural and healthy ways.

Here are some ways you can do that too,
  • Lead adventures. Do not sign-up for them.
  • Join a faction and work hard for it. Then, remember to feel the conflict or harmony between your faction's goals and your characters. Notice how the character itself responses to different situations of their own free will.
  • Build an Alt with an unbreakable willpower. Then, remember to feel the difference between writing Myles and writing someone else. Notice what Myles is, by discovering what he isn't.
  • Write down some of your goals as a writer and keep them separate from your writing time with Myles. Achieve some of your goals using NPCs or Alt characters. This will keep your OOC writing lifestyle out of Myles IC life for awhile.
  • Do not keep a list of Myles skills or powers for a year. If you can't remember them? Then you haven't practiced them enough IC to earn them. This is an advanced honesty technique.

In closing. If you learn to keep your goals as a writer from affecting your character's goals as a person? Then your character will always grow in honest and healthy ways IC. And no matter how powerful or uber they get down the road? You will always feel confident that somwhere deep down, they have earned this future themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom