Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favorite Sci-Fi TV Show to Marathon?

As several of you mentioned, Clone Wars is very easy to run in the background while doing other things. I've seen the entire series maybe three times now just leaving it on while I work, cook, etc. I watch Rebels just to keep up with everything SW, but Clone Wars was leagues better.

I would like to rewatch Firefly. I've only seen it once. Serenity was good, too.

[member="Braith Achlys"] Loved Warehouse 13, but none of the streaming services will put up the final season, so I don't know how it ends. On that same note, Eureka was a lot of fun.

Lost is one of my favorite shows of all time, but after watching it as it aired the first time then rewatching most of it with my roommate two years ago, I don't know that I have it in me to go back (haha).

Supernatural is fun and easy, especially the early seasons with more stand alone episodes. I think around the 3rd season was my favorite, but the show still keeps me interested today.

Flash Forward and Persons Unknown were each one season before canceled, but I enjoyed both a lot.

[member="Fabula Caromed"] do you know where I can stream Cowboy Bebop legally and free? I only see the undubbed version on Hulu, and I am pretty busy, so I work and do other things while I watch, and that does not work well with subtitles. I am not a huge anime fan, but I think I could enjoy this one.

Runi Verin

Two pounds shy of a bomb.
Firefly is always hands down number one, but then I have a huge guilty pleasure for anything with the western genre in it. BSG season one is also always fun, but I can't really marathon the latter seasons with the same gusto.

Fringe is my current binge series of the moment.

Never watched much sci-fi TV shows in my lifetime.

I think the only one I ever did which I would love to see again in Gerry Anderson's Space Precinct. That was some great fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkW_k8FZMGY

Anyone remember that or just me?

[member="Hwo"], the issue with your question is that, in general, "legal" and "free" are mutually exclusive. It's on Netflix, which is not free, and many, many streaming websites, none of which are strictly legal. XD

[member="Fabula Caromed"] I did not see it on Netflix. Thanks for the heads-up. "Free" was absolutely the wrong word for me to use--I pay for Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and AT&T U-verse. I just didn't want to have to purchase it for $2.99 an episode or whatever outrageous prices Google Play, iTunes, Amazon, etc. put on their TV shows.

It's been ages since I've marathoned something other than Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Battlestar Galatica (Both Old and New.) and finally Fringe... but perhaps watching all eighty episodes of JoJo's Bizzare Adventures in a single weekend counts? lol

Zeradias Mant

Democracy Dies in Darkness
Battlestar Galactica. Only show I've pulled an all nighter watching.

Firefly was good but it wasn't anything especially remarkable, yet I see everyone who speaks of it rave over it...is it one of those shows that has a cult following? A cult following that happens to be all in one place because of a common interest in Star Wars and/or sci fi?

Zeradias Mant

Democracy Dies in Darkness
[member="Fabula Caromed"]

What I meant by all in one place was..Firefly is a sci fi, Star Wars is a sci fi - overlapping interest should be expected on a forum of this caliber.

Might you be able to fill me in on why people love it so? I thought it was good, probably should have had another season, but I didn't see or feel a whole lot that made it stand out. What am I missing?

Firefly is a space western, rather than being a sci-fi. More importantly, it has incredible character focus for such a short series. We learn something about everyone, not just in their backstory but about who they are. We see them interacting as a family, encountering problems that people face and problems that rogues face in equal number. It's similar to but more intimate than BSG, because the crew is only nine characters instead of dozens.

People don't look at it as "sci-fi." Sci-fi is categorized by a whole bunch of nonsense technobabble, exploration, experiencing new and strange things, and seeing how the greater whole of existence might function at a higher level of advancement, both technological and social. People don't go to Firefly for that. They go to Firefly for who's there, not what they're seeing. The witty writing, the character focus, the intimacy. Not the exploration and wonder. It's warm, not electric. It's familiar, not fantastic. Basically, it's a sci-fi that doesn't feel like a sci-fi.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Ilyn Keldau said:
What am I missing?
Just good entertainment. Firefly never offended me, always surprised me, and even made me smile more than I gave it credit for. I joined the bandwagon convinced that I had seen everything Sci-Fi had to offer me. Then there was Firefly. Then, I learned I was wrong.

The community that rallied around it was pretty darn cool too. I knew Trekkies. I knew Space Junkies. Heck, I was a SW nerd already. So I thought I'd seen everything that a Sci-Fi community had to offer too. Then there was Firefly. And once again, I learned I was wrong.

I also always felt that Sci-Fi existed to preach too. As if there where no modern metaphors left that would do the author's imagination justice. So they turned to Sci-Fi to paint the same old pictures with new colors. Racism became Xenophobia. Jedi became Jesus. Starship Troopers became Fascism. Everything in Sci-Fi always lead to a destination. A place were the author felt he needed to go to be free. Then there was Firefly. And, once again. I learned I was wrong. Firefly taught me that Sci-Fi can be a human adventure too. Not smothered in some moral examination of our own precarious existence. Just good old fashioned cowboy entertainment. People, being people.

Something new, when I thought I'd seen it all. Something old, that reminded me how much I missed it. Never serious enough to care, yet never stupid enough to let go of. It tasted just right. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom