Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fantastic Beasts and Where to [Copyright]

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

”In a way.” Aela said with a shrug.

”I didn't really have much of a childhood. I didnt let myself have one. All the fun I had was forced by my siblings. I used to just sit in my room and read. I'm not complaining, i liked doing that.” she really did.

”But as of late I am growing rather...weary of what my life is now. Ive realized I might have missed a bit too much.”

She frowned.

”I don't think i'd go back, I think I Would rather move forward.” She turned the fish.

Not the answer Jamie had been looking for likely, but in truth Aela had never really been a kid, at least not usually.

It had even been cause for concern with her parents.

Jamie laughed. "Maybe our childhoods were a bit more similar than you think." The blonde pulled her knees up, resting her chin on them as she stared into the dancing flames.

"My life was structured around what my parents deemed important enough for me to study. Not much fluctuated there. It was all very routine. I had to plead with my father to convince my mother to let me take up fencing in what little spare time I could wiggle out of them. When I wasn't studying, I was testing, if I wasn't testing I was practicing. If I wasn't practicing I was training for competitions or working as a volunteer at YAFCIN. And, if by some miracle I wasn't doing any of those things I managed to sneak down to the city center, or explore the wilds outside of Theed for a few hours."

Like clockwork since she was old enough to remember.

"Some eighteen years in a row. Never once left Naboo. I suppose it's why I am ignorant of a lot of things outside of my home. Even back home, some people resented me for what I was, but I don't think they saw the whole picture. It wasn't all pretty dresses and fancy parties sipping tea. I heard the rumors. It wasn't as if I could change people's opinions though. Just tried not to let it get to me. I'd likely hate people like me too, if I was in their shoes."

[member="Aela Talith"]

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

”There are worse worlds to grow up on.” Even with the heavy structure of her life one had to take it in context. Naboo was a nice world and Jamie...well despite the hardships from her family had a nice life. Or at least nice enough.

”Perhaps we ended up together for a reason” The suggestion came with a smile. ”The force works in mysterious ways and all that.”

Perhaps she and Jamie were meant to adventure together.

They had certainly done so already, and she had no doubt in her kind that they would do more of the same in the coming months as Jamie learned more and more about the force. ”We’ll just look to the future.”

The words came with a reassuring smile.

"Oh, I'm not complaining. My life could have been far worse." It could have been like the ones her parents were sent to aide. That type of life was something she had never experienced, or even come close to experiencing. In fact, this camping excursion was about as close to poverty and famine as she'd ever been, and that wasn't saying a lot, given their relative comfort, even on Dxun. "I just envied the kids who got to play outside, explore, do their own thing and not have to be given a daily schedule to maintain." She smiled, "I guess it's one of those grass is always greener types."

The blonde dropped her feet back to the ground, curling her toes briefly in the soft blades of grass before turning one of the other sticks that had skewered the nearly finished cooking fish, its' scales browning and glowing against the red and orange flames that licked against the food.

"Perhaps we did." She agreed, thinking back to Aela's comment.

[member="Aela Talith"]

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

She nodded.

Aela had been one of those. She could have explored, she could have gone all over the place, but it had been her choice not to. She wondered if that had been a mistake, but then remembered her own words about moving forward.

”Look at it this way.” Aela told her. ”You’re free now.”

She gestured to what was around them. ”Did you ever think you’d find yourself on a world like Dxun? Bastion?”

In truth, Aela herself had never really imagined herself going to some of the places she had gone. Mustafar and the other worlds that held a more...mystical quality to them that one couldn’t really explain.

”Not to mention the other places we’ll likely go.” That was inevitable. ”Korriban, Dromund Kaas, maybe Tython.”

There was no limit really.

"Yeah. I suppose you're right."

Though she knew she still had obligations to Naboo. There was simply no dodging that, nor did she entirely want to. Her place would always be at home in some form or another.

"I do hope much less of them resemble Bastion, at least as far as eventfulness goes, however." The whole, being stabbed and poisoned situation was a bit much to eagerly jump back into.

Jamie had always wanted to leave Naboo, at least in some manner of speaking. She had always had the drive to see other planets, meet new people, explore what the galaxy had to offer. The problem was she was never afforded the opportunity to leave. Even her initial departure was by sneaking off world. That had actually been how Jamie had met Kurt, by coincidence after she'd abandoned home to learn about all of this Force stuff that she was apparently gifted with, despite her parents objection.

"All I ever wanted was to leave, to see the star systems beyond my own. I had no plan or idea of what I was doing. But this has been good, I think."

[member="Aela Talith"]

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

Bastion had...undeniably been a riot of a time, and not in the good sense of the term. Things had grown incredibly chaotic on that world, their plans had fallen apart and their lives had nearly been lost half a dozen times. The experience had not been a pleasant one, though unfortunately not all that unusual for Aela.

She decided not to mention that to Jamie.

”You’ll see more before we’re done.” That was pretty much a guarantee. Aela wasn’t a frontline soldier anymore, she wasn’t going to be the hammer that went in and smashed whatever was in sight. She worked for the SIS now, and that meant...well that meant going all over the place.

”We’ll have to see where they want to send me next.” Jamie knew what she would be referring to. ”Probably First Order space. The outer rim.”

That was new. ”Maybe we’ll even get to see Wild Space.”

That would be interesting. Worlds that no one had ever explored.

For some reason Aela's comment sparked a question in the student. Before we're done.

"Have you trained anyone else besides me?" She was genuinely curious if Aela had many other students prior to taking Jamie.

Jamie knew so little of the First Order as well. The reports she'd picked up only stated that they were growing in size, accumulating territory off the western galactic front of Alliance space. Naboo itself was on the far opposite end, on the fringes of Alliance space, making it an unlikely target in the event of conflict, if attitudes between the two neighbors soured as some feared. Still, the government maintained its' vigilance, constantly adapting to the times and adjusting their security protocols as needed to ensure safety for their people.

"The First Order seems to tow a fine line. Do you think relations will worsen between them and the Alliance?"

[member="Aela Talith"]

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

”Not really.” Aela said as she blew a puff of air from her lips to get the bangs out of her face. ”I’ve given lessons to a few Younglings, lead a Padawan expedition or two, but I’ve never had an official student.”

She had always been too busy. ”There’s a reason for that. Until very recently anyone going with me was put in a tremendous amount of danger. I was at the forefront of every battle, every fight, every invasion.”

Too dangerous for a padawan.

She shrugged. Aela had never minded the absence of a student, mostly because she hadn’t really felt ready to teach anyone. In a way she still didn’t feel ready. She was Jamie’s Master, but at times she felt somewhat more like an older sister than an actual teacher. Perhaps that was because the relationship came more naturally to her.

”They almost definitely will.” Aela said on the subject of the first order. ”The First Order is actively Harboring Sith now.”

Which was of course, difficult for the Alliance to accept. ”They protect Panatha and put out a call to Sith fleeing from the core. Top that with what happened at Eriadu and other mixed reports…”

It didn’t look good.

"I see." That made sense.

Jamie found herself in enough danger just here on Dxun, and more so on Bastion, despite the theoretical ease of the mission. She couldn't quite imagine what it would have been like trying to learn under the pressure of actual war. The fact that Aela had survived relatively unscathed and maintaining of her demeanor was a testament to her strength though. Jamie respected her quite a bit for that.

"Will the Alliance strike first you think?"

She wondered for a minute where that would leave Aela and Jamie in the mix of things.

"What would our role be?"

Jamie knew she wasn't much of a warrior, at least not in the front of the charge kill the enemy kind of way.

[member="Aela Talith"]

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

”We won’t be on the frontlines.” That much was sure.

Aela had stepped away from that for a reason. She and the 5th Legion had lead the charge on Coruscant, and that...that had been the last time she wanted to truly conduct a battle. She frowned for a moment at the memory, then moved on.

”More likely than not we’ll be sent to infiltrate before things start.” If the Alliance did attack first. ”Scout the planet, try to count assets, perhaps even try to get the populace on our side.”

She frowned. ”As for who will attack first...I can’t honestly know.”

Aela had the position of Marshall, but she wasn’t exactly in the militaries loop.

”The First Order has lashed out more than once.” She explained. ”And the Alliance has a mandate to destroy the Sith...so I don’t know.”

Why it was that the galaxy couldn't simply let things be at peace she would never understand.

One government, one planet, one people, it was always something or someone that wanted what wasn't theirs. Resources, supplies, territory. It was all relative. What it came down to really was greed and pride that drove these things. Always hand in hand, one carried the other. Be it on a grand, multi planetary scale, or as small as a rebellion against a civil government. Jamie was a delegate, a court noble that carried some of that fault, depending on the wishes of her people, but she would never condone taking conflict to war. It wasn't practical and rarely solved anything.

Aela's affirmation of not being at the forefront of a conflict did help to set the girl's mind at ease though, so that was positive.

Jamie removed the two fish from the flames, handing one off to Aela, taking the smaller of the two for herself. The trick was not to taste what was being eaten if it didn't agree with your pallet. That was how she had approached the rations, that was what she would do here if the fish tasted...fishy.

"I wonder what will come of this. The galaxy has been reshaped a number of times in my brief life thus far. I only hope we're bringing it in the right direction."

[member="Aela Talith"]

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

Aela shrugged.

In all honest she had no idea anymore. A part of her had always thought that when the One sith died...it would have been over. That thought was naive of course. The Sith did not simply just disappear, and in truth they were now just harder to catch.

”I don’t know.” Aela said again, echoing her last words.

”But.” She sounded a bit defeated. ”I have to believe that we’re doing the right thing.”

At this point that belief was really the only thing that kept her going. As it was she could barely see herself staying in the Alliance. Aela had a drive to do good, but that drive was slowly being snuffed out by what seemed like a never ending war. She was being pushed out, pushed towards doing something more...for herself.

Perhaps that was selfish, but she was starting to see the appeal of it more and more. ”Anyway, lets eat. I don’t think we’ll get anywhere by making ourselves depressed.”

She flashed Jamie a smile.

Several tiring days had passed since their campfire by the river. Surprisingly enough they hadn't been eaten in the middle of the night by some unseen predator. It had taken more time than first expected, but eventually the Jedi Master and her Padawan found the Maalraas they were looking for. Tucked away a distance from the tomb of Freedon Nad and his Terentatek visitor, nestled in a small valley is where they had moved, keeping to the darkness and using their Force Cloak abilities to make themselves difficult to spot. The fortunate aspect of this was that due to a bit of rain the previous day they had left tracks indicating where the two could find them. It was difficult, and Jamie had already found herself covered in dirt and mud before the day would end, but eventually, through the will of the Force, they located a small number of the creatures.

Over the latter half of the day, and into the next morning the two spent time working on Jamie's ability to assert control over the Maalraas. These were substantially more difficult than even the alpha Boma had been, given their nature and connection to the Force themselves. Success had come later into the evening, nearing when the two were about to call it quits for the day, much to the delight of Aela's student.

After making it back to camp and resting, Jamie surprisingly awoke the next morning without cue from Aela's foot, or the Force. A notable rarity for her. Perhaps it was due in part by the smallest level of confidence that she'd built up while on Dxun training. Today however would prove to be the biggest challenge of all. Perhaps afterwards she could make her way back to that river and wash up again. The mud camouflage wasn't exactly the prettiest look on her after all.

[member="Aela Talith"]

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

Today would not be easy. Jamie was coming into the skill of taming beasts, she was even doing it naturally at some points, but the creature they would be trying for today...well they were anything but calm.

Skreev.

The reptilian, almost dragon like creatures that were second to only Drexl upon Dxun. These creatures were...well much like the rest of Dxun. Fierce, aggressive, unkind, and predators to their very core. Taming them took quite a bit with the force, and without it one had to start when the beasts were very young.

The creatures would be found in the mountains just north of where Aela and Jamie had stayed. There was a large cavern there that held the creatures.

”Ready?” Aela asked Jamie with a smile.

She knew that her padawan could do this. Knew that she would be able to make this happen. Skreev were fierce, but Jamie had the determination that she would need to tame the beasties.

Jamie looked towards Aela with a smile and a nod. "Ready." The blonde had packed several days rations this time, as the trek was a bit longer than any other previous journey, as well as a few bottles of water, and a change of clothes. Her lightsaber was secured to her hip as always, and her boots tightly laced. There was a low and gentle breeze this morning, making for good travel weather, at least in comparison to the previous days filled with blistering heat and heavy rain.

Hoisting her pack up onto her shoulders her fingers rested on the outside straps as the two headed out along the small trail where they had camped, out towards the mountains and caves where these large flying reptiles nested. "Any idea how many of them typically make nests together? Are they pack animals like the Boma? Or are they singular animals that only pair during mating?"

[member="Aela Talith"]

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

"The latter." Aela said. "But we're getting close to that time of year."

She looked up. "The great migration won't happen for a while yet, but they like to gather now."

There was still quite a bit of time before the Migration actually took place, but Skreev were territorial creatures. That meant they liked to carve out little sections of living space and when they actually migrated...move together with those that had been close to them. It made sense in a way, to prepare your...mate before you actually went anywhere with them.

"We'll find a solitary one." She told Jamie.

Anything more would have been far too dangerous. One Skreev was already bigger than the both of them combined, and the way they would do this was...well difficult to say the least. Aela knew that even with all of Jamie's training she wouldn't be able to tame one of the creatures on her own. Inititally she would need help, and from there she could take it by herself. The trouble would be actually getting there unmolested. The Mountains were teeming with everything from Drexl to Snakes.

"You hope." She added to the end of Aela's statement of finding a solitary one. "With our combined luck we'll wind up thinking we found one by itself, and out will come an even bigger, meaner one from the darkness of the cave." She laughed, half jokingly, half nervously. It was a real possibility with Jamie's luck, but hopefully that wouldn't happen. The Terentatek was bad enough for one trip, she didn't need any more reason for nightmares after this trip, or to find herself between the jaws of a Skreev.

"They'll likely be more territorial now then, won't they? If it's close to that time for them." That meant more dangerous than usual to Jamie. Hardly a boon.

The blonde loosened her shoulders a bit as they walked, adjusting the bag on her back so that it fit a bit more comfortably. The ground was still damp, making the walk a bit more sluggish and messy as their boots stamped into the softened soil. Dozens of other tracks mixed with the dirt as they passed beneath trees, some of which Jamie had been able to identify after the amount of time spent here, but many, most others, were still quite a mystery.

"It must make life on Onderon a bit more complicated, having predatory species like this migrate on a semi regular basis."

[member="Aela Talith"]

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

She shrugged as they began to move forward, The jungle was already thinning out a sign of just where they were going.

"Iziz is really the most populace center of Onderon." The massive city was in some way, almost all of Onderon. Most people that lived on the world lived within the city, and those that didn't generally belonged to the Beast Riders. The hundreds upon hundreds of different clans and tribes that had been united by her grandmother. For them the migration wasn't a nuisance, it was something that allowed them to truly live. "The city is well protected, Turbo-lasers, shield generators. They're used to it."

It was important to remember how long this had been happening on Onderon. "Those that don't live in Iziz belong to the clans."

They would be able to see the mountains in the distance, several of the peaks capped with white. She smiled at the sight, an eagerness filling her as she remembered the last time she had visited this place. Aela had few memories outside of a library, but the time she had spent here with Maleah and her Grandmother were truly special to her.

"The Beast Riders see the migration as an opportunity to catch and tame as many Skreev and Drexl as possible." It was...well it was quite a sight.

"I suppose." She said. Still, it must be somewhat inconveniencing to have to constantly remind ones self about migrating predators from the planet's moon. Just because one lived with them all their lives didn't mean they had to enjoy it. Jamie knew if a species migrated to Naboo every so many months, or to Theed in particular, even if she was used to it after years, she still wouldn't find it particularly pleasant.

"Do the Beast Riders tame some of these animals to protect Onderon? To serve in some capacity as guards or mounts for Iziz's security force?"

That would likely be something very useful. Soldiers and transport shuttles were well and good, but a fearsome creature with a person on its' back? That would be a rather terrifying sight to deal with while trying to overthrow a government.

[member="Aela Talith"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom