Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Fanalis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fanalis
EN_Ajani_Header.jpg

Name: Fanalis
Designation: Sentient
Homeworld: Panatha
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Panatha
http://starwarsrp.ne...tha/?hl=panatha
Language: Fanalisis, limited telepathy
Average height of adults: 3m
Skin color: Pink
Hair color:
  • Brown
  • Gold
  • Black (Rare)
  • White (Rare)
  • Stripped (Extremely Rare)

Breathes: Type 1

Strengths:

• Strength: The Fanalis are very large, and strong creatures. Their strength matching that of a horse, yet with much better balance. They possess the ability to give powerful strikes with their paws, and massive clamps with their jaws to make them very dangerous at short range. Their natural weapons, such as strong teeth and sharp claws are able to rip through natural materials like wood and rock with multiple attacks, and can crush bones and rip through skin. However against man made material such as durasteel their claws and teeth will merely scratch the surface. Of course the horned ones would be able to put their immensely strong horns to use in combat as well, the horns functioning strength wise about of tough as claws and teeth.

• The Force: Fanalis, like their more primitive ancestors, have a weak sensitivity to the Force. Not all have this talent, about only half of them possessing the ability. And the sensitivity in most all cases would only be mild telepathy, they cannot move objects or use mind tricks they can only send simple shoot off waves of emotion to ‘speak.’ The high majority have little to no power in the force besides basic telepathy, the horned ones however, are capable of some higher form of telepathy. Including the ability to show images or 'visions' to other fanalis, they are able to fluently speak through telepathy and can slightly manipulate the weak minded.

• Blessing: A bondage, or blessing was a religious ritual performed by the Fanalis as a way of connecting to one another. Similar to how humans shake hands, Fanalis have their own greeting tradition. They touch another Fanalis, usually on the shoulder or arm, and using telepathy they open their minds. It is a moment where they can share memories and emotions. However it was a great tool, it also required trust. Blessing, as they called it has been described as one of the most pleasurable experiences that people could share with one another. While it was extremely rare, some Fanalis would share a blessing with outsiders, and even non Fanalis, however it was greatly frowned upon. Some more mischievous Fanalis used this as a way to learn their foes secrets...though blessing would only work if both parties were capable of basic telepathy.

• Long life: The Fanalis have a lifespan averaging at around half a millennium. However this can range greatly, the oldest Fanalis ever recorded was known as Goldmane. His real name lost to history; he died at 1,456 years old after leading the Fanalis to victory in the Panathan civil war at the battle of Devoth.

Neutral:
  • Trust: The Fanalis were one of the galaxies most widely regarded species on the trait of unwavering trust. Of course each Fanalis differed, it was true for all that somewhere they were trusting to the end. As 96% of Fanalis lived in prides it is a must to have trust, it is one of the reasons the Fanalis have such a presence around one another and have survived so long through hard times and constant negatives. The trust they have for one another is immense, and it shows in their ability to work together and collaborate. However a positive, this is also a negative. As the Fanalis who stray from the pride are very susceptible to manipulation and deceit. Their trust for all creatures leaves a large weakness when it comes to lies.

Weaknesses:
  • Size: Proportions of the Fanalis are rather odd, most of their height being in their torso, their legs only adding up to a little over 1/3rd of their total height. This slows them down when running, not to mention they are almost entirely muscle, which is dense and heavy. However it is known that a Fanalis on all 4s is twice as fast as when standing upright. The fastest recorded speed being 51 km/h. However when on all 4s the Fanalis are not able to use weapons and tools. Being downright is looked upon as primitive, and considered rudimentary by noble prides.

• Hunted: The rarity of a Fanalis is known by many, their fur is exotic and valuable. Constantly they are being hunted by bounty hunters, pirates, and any looking for credits. Hunters see the mane as a prized jewel, as killing a Fanalis is extremely difficult. Especially if they are among the pride, which is almost always. Finding a wild Fanalis is unheard of.

• Slavery: Similar to Wookiees the Fanalis are considered great slaves, their strength and unwavering loyalty makes them productive workers. Shaving their mane and selling the fur is a great way to make credits, and owning one is a great way to raise the status in a society. Entire prides have been captured by large slavers and sold for huge profit, at about 100,000 credits for a single Fanalis. Any Fanalis should be weary of slavers, however it isn't common to be taken from a pride, prides members will die for their kin. Fanalis that stray from the pride are prime targets.

• Claws, teeth and horns: While most would consider long claws and teeth an advantage, they grow extremely fast on Fanalis. The species has to keep them short by scratching and gnawing on things. Fanalis have even been seen scratching and biting boulders. It’s not unheard of for Fanalis teeth to grow so long they stab the bottom of the mouth. For more advanced Fanalis, the use of modern tech causes an unnatural amount of frustration. Their claws grow so long it can actually make touching screens or buttons extremely diffucult. So much so it can hamper their ability to pilot, and operate weaponry. While this is a problem for all fanalis, for the horned ones especially it is, as horns function the same as claws and teeth. They grow rapidly and can hurt the horned ones if not kept groomed well. They will grow so long until they fall out, which would happen at about 3 feet and would severely injure the horned one for their lifetime.

• Eyesight (Horned ones specific): As a counter to the advanced telepathy given to the horned ones, there is weak eyesight. It starts at about 75 years of age and only gets worse throughout their lifetime, by the last 100 years of a horned fanalis's life would be surrounded in darkness. While eyesight for the entire species isn't great- it can grow terrible for horned ones. Making seeing in the dark impossible and even in the daytime a struggle. Luckily this can be fixed in the earlier life with glasses and man made vision improvements, still it is hard to find such commodities for a 3.5 meter tall lion creature.

Distinctions:
Most of their body is covered in a thin layer of hair, save for their necks and the ends of their tails. Their necks are covered in a thick mane for both genders of the Fanalis, however the manes of females only grow below their neck, and often grow very thick and long. Male have manes that circle their entire neck. Fanalis decorate their manes with many braids and accessories to represent their pride and religion, usually the older a Fanalis and more accomplished the more decorated their mane. The ends of their tails have a large bundle of hair, which often gets knotted. It is rare, however some adults have horns near the front of their body. Fanalis who have horns have been identified as different enough from non-horned to be named another race. They call themselves the horned ones, and have advanced telepathy and are slightly larger than the Arid (Non-horned), averaging at about 3.5m tall. Telepathy in the horned ones is not just limited to shooting off emotions like in the Arid group. They are able to fluently speak through the mind and even direct pictures or images for others to see, in some cases they can 'push' thoughts onto others, which is only limited to their kind. A horned one cannot speak to a twi'lek or human through telepathy. Only other arid or horned ones. When using telepathy anyone can see as the horns of a horned one will glow a faint blue color. Generally these horns protrude from the shoulders. In extremely rare cases horns may grow from their forehead. The ratio of horned ones to non-horned is about 1 to 100, making up about 60,000 horned-ones in existence.

Average Lifespan: 500 years
Races: Horned and Arid
Estimated Population: They are mostly found on Panatha, others of their species being found as slaves or even more rare, strays from the pride. Estimated at 6 million galaxy wide, 96% of that number being found on Panatha.
Diet: Fanalis are pure carnivores, eating anything with meat on it. They are so carnivorous in fact, that their bodies react negatively to ingesting plants, as their bodies have no organs to digest them.
Communication: The Fanalis speak in telepathy among their kin, only verbally expressing growls, roars, yelps and other such sounds. Not many Fanalis know galactic standard, only those who leave their pride. Most Fanalis know the language of their people, fanalisis.

Culture:

Fanalis are very territorial, they mate for life, and the couple will have a single litter of kits in their entire life.

Fanalis are considered adults around age fifty to sixty, and are expected to leave the den at such a time in search of a mate.

Females chose mates based on the loudness and length of a male Fanalis roar. During mating season, the males will roar and yell until they find a mate. Males pick from the females that come to them based on the length and thickness of their manes. This is because the thicker the mane, the better chance it has to protect the female and future kits from harm, due to knots that form in it. Or such is the belief. After a pair has had their only litter of kits, they stay with their pride, helping them to hunt and build dens. When the Fanalis kits reached adulthood they left their den and the process repeated.

There are 3 different types of society:

The largest in number are moving prides, which establish small dens and stay until their kits have matured enough to hunt and defend, then leaving to find new members. They are always on the run and never stay in one place for more than 30 years. These are also considered the most primitive, acting the most like their wild cousins.

Territorial prides find a good location for hunting and safety, establish large dens and build a community mostly consisting of large wooden structures. Some of these prides have established democratic governments. These are considered more developed, yet still primitive, and are the lowest in populous.

Contemporary prides make up about 40% of the species. They live among other societies, abandoning traditions like hunting and mating calls. They have a system of currency, and follow Panathas democracy, many members of these prides will work jobs and are likely to know galactic common. These Fanalis represent what the species once was before they were hunter to near extinction. If a Fanalis is found outside of Panatha it is likely that they were once among these prides. Fanalis among these prides have spread throughout the galaxy taking up jobs like mercenaries, monks, warriors, blacksmiths, and even bounty hunting.

Technology level: Below galactic standard, they craft weapons and tools, contemporary prides are galactic standard.

General behavior: Varies according to the society type. If Fanalis apart of a moving pride aren’t hunting, they are sleeping, eating, or playing. Fanalis get bored if they are simply given their food, and much prefer to hunt it. When it comes to sleeping, they sleep about anywhere, and usually purr loudly when doing so. Playing with kits is, rough, to say the least. Biting, clawing, and tackle are all acts the Fanalis perceive as friendly when done so while projecting playful emotions. Violence is common among them, but its meaning changed based on what the Fanalis projects. Territorial prides are much the same, however they spend more time crafting and fighting with other prides. Fanalis are known as very good smiths, and craft in a unique style called fanalish. Creating greatswords, axes, staffs, shields, and even armor. Contemporary prides are largely more developed. They act in a civil manner, with a slight temper. They often speak verbally and have a large curiosity to them.

History:

The Fanalis were an ancient people lost to time, they have been on the brink of extinction for many centuries and have struggled to survive through the long lives they live. There was a time when many Fanalis lived outside of Panatha and was highly regarded for their prowess. Unfortunately they have been hunted back to their homeworld where it seems they are safe, after having to adjust to life on Panatha they had lost much of their advanced lifestyle.

As secretive people, not many people knew of their history, most Fanalis have a strong distaste for outsiders. The only sentient species they happily coexist with are the Epicanthix. After the hunt for their rare fur had died down the Fanalis were nearing only 30,000 in numbers and would have been hunted to extinction if it wasn't for the Epicanthixs assistance and protection.

Notable Player-Characters: None at the moment.

Intent: To create a sentient race for SWRP that focus on the feline aspect of our society and the unique universe of Star Wars. And to allow myself and any number of other writers to use this species for future characters.

Rusty

Purveyor of Fine Weaponry
Hi, sorry it took so long to get around to this. Been a busy week all around.

You've got an interesting species here. There are a few issues that need to be addressed.

Niyla Ar'i said:
Their natural weapons, such as strong teeth and sharp claws are able to rip through durasteel with multiple attacks, and can easily crush bones and rip through skin.
RIpping through durasteel seems highly unlikely. Claws and teeth are remarkable weapons, but they generally don't hold up against manmade materials. If you've a compelling reason why the Fanalis present an exception to this rule I'll hear you out, but otherwise the line about durasteel will have to be removed.

Niyla Ar'i said:
The Force: Fanalis, like their more primitive ancestors, have a mild sensitivity to the Force. While they cannot move objects or use mind tricks they can send simple shoot off waves of emotion to ‘speak.’ However the species has produced powerful force sensitives in the past... The high majority have little to no power in the force besides basic telepathy.
I'm okay with this as it stands, especially since mention has been made that most of the species is weak. Just keep in mind that this is sort of a gray area, and the admin or RPJ who does the final review might not agree with my assessment. You might want to consider changing it to an innate but not universal talent. Your call.

Niyla Ar'i said:
Claws and teeth: While most would consider long claws and teeth an advantage, they grow extremely fast on Fanalis. The species has to keep them short by scratching and gnawing on things. Fanalis have even been seen scratching and biting boulders. It’s not unheard of for Fanalis teeth to grow so long they stab the bottom of the mouth.
It might also be worth noting that feline claws might make it difficult to work modern technology. Most of the galaxy is built around humanoid hands, and while they appear to have humanoid fingers, I'd imagine the claws could get in the way of certain things. I'm imagining one trying to touch type and ruining a keyboard, or a hilariously ineffective attempt to play a game on a touch screen.

Niyla Ar'i said:
They call themselves the horned ones, and have advanced telepathy and are slightly larger than the Arid (Non-horned), averaging at about 3.5m tall. This varies for each one, but generally the horns protrude from the shoulders. In extremely rare cases horns may grow from their forehead.
How common are these Horned Ones? Because a bipedal lion over 3 meters tall with advanced telepathy and freaking horns is kinda terrifying. We're already looking at some development for this species, and the frequency in which these guys appear is going to play into that.

Niyla Ar'i said:
The Fanalis do not by habit disseminate knowledge of who or what they are in modern Galactic society, often moving seamlessly amongst the currents of the Galaxy, searching for peace and tranquility, letting the Galaxy believe their people a lost myth.
A giant three meter tall cat with fangs and claws like daggers is going to be hard to miss. Would you mind explaining how they avoid being noticed? This seems a little odd, given that they're both hunted and have a habit of taking jobs in society.

After taking everything into consideration, I'm going to have to ask for a development thread. We'll figure out how long it has to be once the other edits are addressed. Thanks much.

[member="Niyla Ar'i"]

[member="Niyla Alura"]
[member="Rusty"]

Notice: a deadline of January 10th will be imposed on all current standing Codex subs for the official Codex reopening. All subs must be completed to the point of pending secondary approval by then or risk denial/archival.

You have 15 days before the deadline. That's two weeks and a day. Use your time wisely.

I am so sorry! I actually ended up forgetting about this in the midst of holiday craziness! Anyways, edited.

I toned it down severely, and I wasn't exactly prepared to write a development thread on these guys, so if there is a way we could avoid that I'd happily do so. Thanks [member="Rusty"] !

[member="Niyla Alura"]

This is a nicely written sub, however I do have one important question to pose here.

This race/species is exceedingly similar to Togorians. In fact I see very little deviation here from the SW Canon togorian race.

Was it simply that you were unaware of this pre-existing canon race, or do you really believe that this race stands alone enough to warrant creating yet another big-cat-people?

[member="Lorelei Darke"]

I was unaware, there are so many races in star wars I had no idea. I created this species as a way to use a big cat character so I am cool with archival or denial since they already exist!

Oh yes, there are plenty of big-cat type races in Canon Star Wars. The Togorians are only one of several.

There are also Cathars
Felacatians

and a few others that I don't presently remember.

I am not hellbent on denying this sub, as I said it is good, but I will leave its fate up to you.

Do you wish to pursue approval of this race or do you wish to scrap it?

[member="Niyla Alura"]

[member="Lorelei Darke"]

Honestly it is whatever is easier for chaos, but if it doesn't need to be denied then I'll say approval, after all there can never be too many cat people! Again though, if it is simply better to be denied then that is absolutely fine with me.

I have no definitive reason to deny it so continue we shall.

They call themselves the horned ones, and have advanced telepathy and are slightly larger than the Arid (Non-horned)
I'll need you to describe a bit more what you mean by "advanced telepathy" and how it differs from the telepathy of the Arid. This needs to be defined with set limitations so as not to be taken advantage of in an IC respect.

[member="Niyla Alura"]

As a final request for a few edits to get this to approval stage I'd like you to take the distinctions you've marked for the Horned ones and add them in to the Strengths and Weaknesses, specifically denoting these attributes to them.

As well, please come up with one more major weakness for the horned ones to counter balance this additional size and strength of telepathy that they employ.

[member="Niyla Alura"]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom