Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Family Bonding: Galahad

Wearing: Warrior's Skin

Consort's Ring

Armed With: Elaine Tear's Lightsaber (Corrupted)

Objective: Try to bond more with Galahad

Three days after conclusion of Family Bonding

Earlier...

Dathomir.

The Battalion had been to Dathomir before, but only in the Gulag Era.

Phyre had been dead back then. Or so everyone thought. Until the Man in White's Flame Geist became a problem.

She had to give it to him. It was the one tactic hardly any modern Jedi would have dared to contemplate resorting to. But the Man in White saw the simple calculus of it:

What greater weapon is there than to turn an enemy to your cause. To use their own knowledge against them? (KOTOR reference #42974566544683376!: 90 XP)

She had not thought on those days lately. Settling Khemost, figuring out a comfy balance between such different groups, from Wisecracking Murder Bots to psychopathic shape shifters and traumatized refugees, had taken up much of her time, along with instructing her Wife/Apprentice in secret.

But The Battalion was a warrior at heart.

And to keep her edge, Warriors needed to fight.

Besides, this partially had to do with House Life anyway.

The Battalion was out getting her stepson a gift.

She was still baffled by how much she liked Galahad. On the surface, the two couldn't be more different. Their philosophies were diametrically opposed to one another. But rescuing him, watching his distress at having accidentally baptized himself in ritual blood. (Which technically made him a junior member of the Cult)

She knew, or rather, was starting to remember, what it felt like to be roped into something against one's will.

The Battalion walked across a very particular desert on Dathomir, one strong in the Dark Side. She was a pale ghost in an all white with a curling slightly puffy hairdo. This desert on Dathomir had a strange power that sapped the will of those who didn't use the Dark Side. She had been sustaining herself with it, drawing on it as she got closer and closer to the cache.

The Dark Side whispered a warning to her and her Light Red Blade snapped on in an instant. But she couldn't see the threat. So she closed her eyes and waited, holding the corrupted blade of her mortal self in front of her.

The clawed hand sprang from the sand beneath her as the Terentatek burst forth trying to grab her. But she was already gone, floating above the beast before diving...

...and was forced to block with her blade, as it it somehow instinctively discharged Force Lightning from it's mouth towards her. Her blade caught and absorbed it, but it when she dived to try and strike it's hide, the beast generated Force Lightning around it's whole body, preventing her blade, already much stronger than normal Lightsabers, from cutting it.

The Battalion barely managed to leap back but the beast scored a light cut across her abdomen, white blood spilling from the wound and burning into the sands beneath her. A pig like squeal escaped her throat as she seethed with fury at the beast touching her and gave a flourish of her blade.

The great monster roared, lashing out in hatred with it's lightning, which forced her to dodge the blast, which was powerful enough to absolutely shatter a pillar of rock behind her in the red sands.

What is empowering this creature? The Master Witch wondered, realizing this was going to be slightly tricky.

But if The Battalion could be said to have one virtue, any virtue at all, it was that she loved the thrill of tough opponents.

She relied on her athleticism and the Force to help her dodge it's next few powerful blasts of Lightning until she felt it weaken...and felt the faint link of whoever was empowering it, concealing their body with a Magical Spell.

The Battalion's rage coiled within her, the Dark Fire building until she released it as violet flames from her throat. They couldn't burn, nor could they kill, but they were capable of lowering morale, and had effects similar to Force Fear.

She could control them, make them spread out to try and ensnare the hidden spell caster she felt but couldn't pinpoint.

Sure enough, the flames washed over the hidden spell caster, a Nightbrother whose focus was disrupted as he was forced to fight off the effects of the flames. He was bare chested, his body tattoos red and yellow, Horns jutting out and forming a crown on his head

The Terentatek lost the magical effect empowering it but that didn't mean one could slack off, as even base Terentatek were deadly. She had known that even as Elaine Tear.

Best to focus on the more serious threat however.

The Battalion strode through purple flames as the disoriented Terentatek swiped around blindly in rage, focusing on the Nightbrother

"An impressive command of this beast so far. It takes talent to so utterly subdue a Terentatek." The Battalion complimented.

The Nightsister pulled out a Lightsaber. An Indigo blade slid out of an old and weathered hilt. But the hilt...

The Battalion blinked, peered closer.

"That blade..." she trailed softly. "Where did you get it?"

The Nightbrother leapt forward and The Battalion was forced on the defensive, a vicious display of Ataru catching her off guard, the blade attacks blended into flips and cartwheels and somersaults in dizzying combos she was forced to twist and turn and manipulate the blade around her Body to deflect and parry the assault.

Her Force Sense hissed about the swipe of the claws heading for her back and she somersaulted over the big powerful arm of the Terentatek, white clad feet landing on its back and brutally driving the blade into it's brain, killing it instantly due to the increased cutting power.

The Master Witch was immediately on the defensive from the Nightbrother's frenzied and renewed attacks, coming so rapidly she couldn't focus enough to use the Force. Still, The Battalion defended patiently, knowing it would be only a matter of time before he ran out of energy. It was an impressive assault. But the problem with Form IV is if you don't take your opponent down in the first thirty seconds, your odds of survival drop dramatically.

Finally, after another fifteen seconds of this, he sensed a minor mistake in the trajectory of a swing, and twisted her own blade, intercepting it in a one handed fashion, and twisting.

To her surprise, (and near fatal error), the Nightbrother worked his acrobatics, moving and cartwheeling with them to end up on a near blindside of the Witch, in a perfect position to swing upward and try and take her head off, the Battalion only managing to float out of the way of the strike at the last second, but the tip sliced through her cheek.

White drops of blood spilled to the ground from her torn open cheek, revealing the white blood and muscle underneath.

The blood drops immediately began dissolving the ground beneath them when they hit, releasing steam.

"Impressive..." The Battalion hissed.

She lunged with a sudden, powerful overhead strike, and the Nightbrother parried with a timing even The Battalion considered perfect, as she was forced to block the heavy counter assault, his blade crashing violently against hers.

Bastard's been eating his spinach. (MAX: 90 XP) she thought with a mix of intrigue and amusement.

"Most impressive..." she added.

He backed off, guarding in an Ataru ready.

"You still have not answered me..." The Battalion added, circling the guarding Warrior...

"Wasn't planning on it." he replied with a blatantly Clint Eastwood type voice, which made him sound hardcore AF. Besides, let's be honest, any NPC lasting this long against Batty IS hardcore AF, so he might as well sound like Clint Eastwood.

Rule of cool, folks. We live and die on it. Quotas must be filled. Asses must be kicked.

"I knew the man who forged the blade...he was one of my Apprentices in another life..." The Battalion explained. "He's dead now. But I would still know that blade anywhere. His was one of the few, in fact, that I did not confiscate. So how did you obtain it?"

All it got her was another set of furious strikes. The Battalion grew suspicious as she was hemmed in by his assault. What had he been out here for?

"Were you hunting me?" she asked, getting slowly perturbed by his refusal to say anything else.

He lunged, and The Battalion lunged, thirsting for the challenge. She hadn't had a duel like this in months, and was obsessed with proving her superiority.

Their blades locked.

"You will tell me where you got that blade..." she hissed, the red light of her blade casting her face with it's sharp angles in a ghastly crimson.

"One way or another..."

Only by summoning all his hatred was he able to break the lock and push her back even slightly. But she came at him like a Demon. His anger and fear the only thing allowing him to hold back her savage hammer strikes, which sent sharp needles of pain through his wrists every time he parried, and he didn't dare think outright blocking would do anything other than break his wrists.

He had been told she was good. He had studied everything he had been given. He had even cross trained in Soresu and Shii-Cho for over a year against the most lethal sparring droids he could afford. A year of fighting Droids armed with Lightsabers set to Knight settings, all safeties disabled.

All that training had given him was the ability to hold her at bay with a defense that would eventually tire. He had to find a way to escape her now.

He backed off and she tried to choke him with the Force, her hand taking a claw like gesture.

He fought off the attempt but just barely, stumbling back and gasping for breath. The dear gave way to rage and with a shout he lifted up a load of rocks nearby and proceeded to fling her one at a time at high speed at her, forcing her to dodge the heavy projectiles, any one of which were large and moving fast enough to smash her into bloody chunks. But it bought him only seconds, because she was flying at him with the Force once more, belching purple flames from her throat at him.

The Nightbrother focused, shifting his footing in the sand. One mistake and he was dead.

He parried the next blow, and then twisted, swiping the blade upward and executed an an Assured Strike.

It was a Juyo Technique. Completely weak, but what it lack in power it made up for with the extreme probability of landing a hit.

And land it did. The Battalion screeched metallic shrieks of pain as her lower jaw came off, causing the flames she was channeling to discharge everywhere, even partially detonating in her body and blasting open part of her side in spectacular fashion, spilling white blood, muscle, and bits of rotten yellow organs everywhere.

The Master Witch slammed into the ground, sliding on her own viscera as it burned through the sand so quickly she fell through into the desert beneath in a muddy soup of Witch blood and melting sands.

The Nightbrother ran for his life. He ran as fast as he fething could, high tailing it to a speeder bike and gunning the engines at max speed, for it was the only way to guarantee his survival now so he could try again...

The Battalion in the meantime, continued sinking ever deeper, the blood and gore from her body melting through more and more layers of the earth.

Finally, the blood and gore burned its way into an ancient cavern, and the Battalion fell through and impacted on a hard floor, finding the strength and rage to pull away from her own blood and gore as it continued to burn through.

(Dallas: That crap's gonna eat through the hull!)

Badly wounded, she felt the enchantments to her suit starting to work. But it would take time still. It had managed to stop the bleeding. Everywhere hurt. She drew on her hate and rage to remain standing.

She had been defeated. The Night brother had not only survived the encounter, he had outright defeated her.

This was something that deeply surprised her.

He was good. Not great, but he had managed it all the same.

The Battalion realized the man must have prepared an extensively long time to face, her, but why? And how had he gotten one of her old Apprentice's sabers?

She soon sensed the Dark Side however. She looked around. The cavern had been carved out.

This was a ritual site dedicated to focusing the Dark Side.

She instantly felt herself being rejuvenated. Perhaps in this momentary setback she had been made to stumble upon greater fortune.

She meditated, focusing the raw power of the ancient Cavern into herself. She tried to look back on the fight, trying to see what she had done wrong, trying to figure out when the duel had turned against her.

But for the dark in her, it kept coming back to the same irritating conclusion:

He had moved right, at the right time, and she hadn't.

Soon, the potent nexus had restored her Armor and body to an undamaged state, but she was still interested in discovering it's nature, this place.

She knew she would see the Zabrak again. She felt it.

She went deeper into the cavern, finding more Nightsister ritual markings. This was a place of immense importance once. She could feel the faint trace of slaughter here.

She at last found the source of the darkness warping the air invisibly.

It rested on an altar, a pulsating book of flesh and wisps of red hair as binding. The unholy words were literally burned into it's pages, still quivering.

She knew what it was immediately.

It was a fragment of an ancient Dark Side Sorceress known as Ersethy. A Witch so foul that the Atrisian God's had supposedly struck her dead and annihilated her soul, but her flesh had been so putrid, so utterly corrupt with The Dark Side, that it was in a perpetual state of decay that would never conclude, forever spawning abominations from it's decayed state.

Sometimes the fragments would spontaneously form into Witches or Sith Spawn with instinctive grasp of magic, leading some to believe Ersethy may well have been among the earliest examples of a Force Spawn, maybe even the first.

To take a piece of this monstrosity into one's self was something that had to be done with great care. Obviously the fragment had made its way here--she saw ancient markings on the walls that suggested she was revered as a Dark Goddess by the Night Brothers, worship getting so prolific it eventually had to be suppressed. More recent markings suggested this place was still visited in secret. In fact if she had the dates right, a secret band was due here today. Within a half an hour.

The Battalion sensed an opportunity.

She held out her hand and the corrupted remnants of Elaine Tear and every evil mind within got to work on devouring the powerful essence within the text.

But as powerful as she was, even she was not fully prepared.

This particular fragment had been experienced and powerful herself, and was such a raw, pulsating miasma of darkness...

The Fragment quickly established itself in the upper hierarchy, displacing Witches from their positions by sheer strength, outranked only by The Collage and The Assembly, who were themselves of equal rank, and of course Elaine herself. The transformation was compulsory, The Battalion's flesh and mind warping and vanishing into the body of a disturbingly athletic looking crone, with shriveled looking features and curling red hair, her eye balls nothing but glistening black spheres.

The fragment of Ersethy examined the new host body, feeling supercharged. She felt life approaching.

A lone Zabrak, clad in hooded rags, carrying a jeweled, Electrum goblet filled with blood.

He was seemingly the only one present. He set aside the goblet when he saw the book made long ago from the flesh of the fragment had turned to ashes.

"So it is the end, at long last..." he announced quietly.

"I suppose it was too much to expect..." he said to himself, slumping in a corner. "We pray, and pray, when the purges renewed. When we were hunted. No answer. I am all that's left, and soon, I fear they shall find me too.

"And now your book, the text comprised of your flesh, lays in ash. How am I to interpret that? Is it a sign? Of what? Or does it simply mean that at long last even your will couldn't go on..."

He fell to his knees.

"It's so hard to carry out your rites. So hard to find the proper victims. No. It is no sign. You are dead and so is my faith. There is no point in going on. I am without clan. None of the typical Nightbrother Clans would have me because of the crimes I committed to honor you. I have run out of other places to hide. This is the very last place they have not discovered. I have no supplies. No weapons but a knife.

He picked up the goblet.

"Perhaps it is futile. But I shall make one more offering to you, and ask for a sign. If you do not answer, than you shall have your very final offering, in the form of my blood, draining out onto your floor. But one way or another, I will at last learn the validity of my faith."

He went over and poured some blood in the ashes. Silently asking for an answer.

"Congratulations..." The fragment of Ersethy spoke behind him in a pleasant, almost perky voice.

"You finally reached 'Feth It.' " the red headed Force Spawn said, gently lifting the goblet out of the stunned Nightbrother's hand and taking a sip of its contents.

He fell to his knees.

"All I asked for was a sign...but if I had known you would actually appear before me..." he whispered.

"You'd have gotten overconfident, trust me." the fragment replied.

"But Goddess...what is to be done now?"

The Fragment smiled, flesh shuddering as she took his knife and opened her arm up, smearing runes into the chamber with white blood, which burned into the stone.

"This cavern will now hide your presence in the Force..." The Fragment explained.

"That...that is well and good, milady...but...what about supplies?"

"You have proven to me you are ready to die. Prove to me now that you are strong enough to want to live. I'll shall return in one week. If you have survived down here...you shall be worthy of further guidance."

The Nightbrother nodded. "I understand."

The Fragment nodded in sage like approval before departing...

It took Forceful prompting from every other Witch inside her to make the Fragment go in the direction they wanted.

It took even more prompting to make her give up the body back to the Battalion, and every Witch within made sure to disassemble that persona until they needed it. But she had nonetheless reached her original destination, an old vault of stone in one of Dathomir's mountains, sealed by spells.

The Battalion placed her hand over the vault door, in the shadow of a mountain where nothing grew.

The door slid upward and The Battalion retrieved her gifts...

Present...

Ession's Shadow, the TIE Reaper used by the Battalion since before she was The Battalion, streaked above the City of Midas, heading toward the newly designated archives tower close to the center, in spitting distance body Darth Mammon's palace. It had its own docking pads, newly tested and installed.

She found herself growing eager to see Galahad again. Other than Percival, she had really only connected with Galahad so far.

The Battalion had retrieved stuff she felt best suited him. Seeing how he was an archivist, she had found her personal copy of the Epistle of Marka Ragnos, along with a collection containing select chapters from Palpatine's Book of Anger. She had even retrieved her own personal essays on the nature of using the Darkness for combat purposes.

But one more gift was meant to serve him on a more concrete level.

It was an old Relic, an alchemical Sith Shield, round and black and heavy.

She didn't think any of it too ostentatious. Hopefully Galahad Io wouldn't either.

As she entered the still not fully set up archives, wearing her hooded red ritual gown, she carried her presents in black gift wrapping, one of the Nuetralizers comming Galahad to tell him his stepmother was present and wanted to speak.

Dev Ossian

D
“With all due respect, Brother,” Roxanne, a Diplomatic Neutralizer visiting the archives to retrieve certain materials, began. “I do not understand why you bother with such primitive data-recording instruments.”

Galahad paused in his scribbling, the feather quill in his hand poised above the parchment. “Your lack of understanding does not surprise me.

When Roxanne frowned, he held up a hand and spoke gently. “I mean no offense. Many people see very little merit in the things of the past, especially when it comes to technologies that have been replaced by more efficient conveniences. But I believe that progress is not universally a good thing. Everything that is done away with or replaced is still a loss of something. Perhaps not something terribly important, but a loss all the same.

“And what was lost by replacing feather quills and ink with computers?” Roxanne asked, still unconvinced.

A certain process,” Galahad replied, running a finger across the bristles of the feather. “By which the mind formulated thoughts for the page. It was slower, and the space smaller. That meant the writer had to be clear and concise and still remain legible. Writing itself was a rare skill, and thus greater importance was placed upon it. Books were expensive to make, so they had to contain something worth printing. The ink could smear or wash away; the paper could be torn or burned. It was delicate, painstaking work reserved for an educated elite.

“Is that why you’ve drawn all these doodles in the margins?”

He tapped the feather against the tip of his nose and smiled wryly. “They’re called illuminations.

Galahad’s comm beeped. “Galahad,” another female voice, this one more grating than one would expect from a Neutralizer, spoke. “The Consort wishes to speak to you. She’s up at the front.”

Thank you, Kandide,” Galahad replied, and began to put away his writing materials.

Roxanne watched the messy and overly-complicated process of cleanup until she could stand it no longer. “I’ll be going now. Thanks for your help finding that book.”

Don’t mention it.

As soon as he was finished, Galahad headed for the entrance to the archives, passing shelves stocked full of glowing blue data. Upon spotting the Battalion, he halted. His expression was unreadable, his feelings about seeing her again ambiguous. Slowly his gaze slid from her face down to the black-wrapped boxes. Gifts, unmistakably. For him?

Hello, Consort.” He bowed respectfully. “What brings you to the archives today?

The Battalion smiled as Galahad Io greeted her. She maintained a sense of decorum.

Her hooded red ritual gown was a rare sight for her to be wearing, but she was not here in the capacity of a Brain Demon Cultist but as a Step Mother.

"Pleasant to see you, Galahad..." The Sorceress said in a polite manner.

"I thought I would stop buy and check up on how you are faring here. I brought some select items that might interest you from my own stashes..."

The Battalion set them in a table and pointed out what was what.

"One complete, unedited copy of the Epistle of Marka Ragnos..." she began. "Selected chapters from Palpatine's Book of Anger. Some of my own essays. But this, is solely for yourself..." she added, opening the package and displaying the heavy, solid black shield.

"Something to hang in your room...or buy you some time..." she explained. "My schedule is free at the moment. I thought I might stay a while...if you don't mind..."

Dev Ossian

D
I appreciate your concern. I am doing just fine,” Galahad replied.

As she presented her gifts, his interest soon overtook his initial caution. “Where did you get these?” he asked, gently handling the ancient books. “They are in excellent condition, especially for their age… I never would’ve guessed you were a book collector, Consort.” His eyebrows rose as he glanced through her essays, his machine brain able to read them at an astonishingly rapid rate. “Or a writer yourself…

He was so distracted by the reading materials that he didn’t even look up until she held the shield out to him. Carefully setting the books down, he took the shield in his hands, glancing over its shiny black surface.

Is it obsidian?” he asked, noting the material resembled volcanic glass. He wasn’t sure what to say, except… “It is very beautiful. The fine craftsmanship is, I believe, from the Old Republic era. Where did you find it?

He was almost more interested in the origins of the gifts than in the objects themselves.

"My schedule is free at the moment. I thought I might stay a while... if you don't mind..."

Galahad seemed reluctant to answer, pretending he was still engrossed in the shield. Though he took great care not to show too much emotion, it became clear at that point that he remained wary of the Battalion. Or at the very least, he suspected she was there for another purpose than what she let on.

"I do not mind," he said. "I'll show you around the archives."

Though there was still a great deal of construction to be done, the space Galahad led the Battalion through already looked like a proper library. The shelves in several sections were stocked, and the digital archives, invisible to the eyes but present in the large machine databases located in the well-protected vaults, were already filled with countless bytes of information.

Upon entering the building proper, a General Purpose Neutralizer seated behind a desk looked up. "Consort!" she exclaimed in surprise, her unusually shrill voice giving away her identity. This was Kandide, one of the other librarians, and while it was hard to put one's finger on, there seemed to be something wrong with her. "How nice of you to visit!"

"One thing you will start to learn is that with the exception of Holocrons, Sith Records of the nature you have been given are rarely electronic based. Computers can be sliced. If you want our knowledge, you have to go right into the archives for it..." The Battalion explained a bit. "I collected these after I was first converted. They shaped my approach to combat and The Dark Side."

"The Shield isn't that old I'm afraid. I created it after I was reborn. As an experiment. I only used it a few times. It serves mainly in a ceremonial capacity." she added, running her finger against the shield.

"But I saw it and remembered you don't like weapons...but I...detest...the thought of you being unprotected. I know you are a chaplain, and you are made to survive, but one can never have too many insurance policies. The Cult knows this better than most." The Battalion said to Galahad Io , following as he led her through the archives. "Before my...conversion...I remember I enjoyed collecting books and ancient texts, preserving them. Writing helps sharpens the mind, keeps it focused when nothing else can. One must be a bit of a scholoar to an extant if they are to be a successful Sith."

"You've made good progress." she praised sincerely, looking through the records, forcing the Witches to be still within her as she browsed through a collection for a few seconds.

When Kandide greeted her, The Battalion nodded politely.

"The Archives are coming along nicely." The Witch said in a calm manner, her serene manner perversely resembling Jedi Calm. If one squinted their eyes real hard, they could almost see a blur of the Priestess of Ashla she had been.

Her eye fell upon an old datacron. It was an obvious donation, as there was a price sticker at a very low cost on its side, but it was an unusually ornate example of a datacron.

"Incredible!" The Battalion hissed in surprise. She had arrived just in time!

She stopped the Protocol Droid before it could file the device away to the antique records section.

"Where did you get this?" The Battalion asked.

"It was donated to the Library this morning. This Archive trades rare rewards for especially hard to find texts or recordings. The device was traded for an...item I am not authorized to disclose, to protect Citizen Privacy..." The Droid explained.

"I see. I'm afraid I have to claim this device. Consort's Priority."

"Of course, Consort." The Droid replied, handing her the ancient Datacron. "We haven't even turned it on to see what was inside."

"How did you know it was a good trade then?" The Witch asked.

"We had an appraiser look at it. Essonian. Gulag Era."

"Then it's not a forgery..." the Witch noted.

She brought the device back to Galahad.

"Whoever traded this in didn't know what they had..." she explained.

"This...is a special type of Datacron. It's protected by a type of Puzzle Lock...but that's not why its special. What's special is who it was made by."

She leaned closer, using Khemostian Sign Language.

This Device was constructed by your Mother's biological father. A Jedi named Morris Crownwraithe

Dev Ossian

D
Ah.” Galahad looked over the shield once more, seeing it with new eyes. When the Battalion explained her reasons for giving him such a gift, he met her gaze. “Thank you, Consort.

It would make for a gnarly wall decoration, if nothing else.

As they headed into the archives, she spoke more about her interests in books and writing. Galahad remained silent, listening to her with his hands clasped behind his back. He had placed the shield in his office for safekeeping, wanting to keep his hands free.

An ornate datacron seemed to have drawn the Battalion’s attention. Galahad viewed the item with some trepidation, but discreetly ripped off the price tag sticker while she was talking to the protocol droid.

When he straightened up, he suddenly realized Kandide was at his elbow. He shooed her away with a stern technopathic warning, and the mousy librarian scurried off.

By the time he looked at the Battalion again, she had seized the datacron. Essonian, Gulag Era… Galahad frowned, his brow furrowing as he read the Battalion’s hand signals.

If this is as important an artifact as you say, it is unlikely that it would tumble into our hands by chance,” he signed back. “We need to track down who made the donation.

Agreed. But We'll need a court order. Your Mother takes her laws seriously. The Battalion signalled back. In the meantime...let's open our present early! (The Battallion made an absolutely absurd-looking toothy smile as she signed this)

The Battalion pulled out her comlink, texting the secretary that had been assigned to her to file a court order to lift the veil on donations made to the archives division. Then she took the Datacron and gestured for Galahad to follow her to his office, where it was set on his desk.

The Battalion examined it, not looking at all like the haughty, yet somehow reserved killing machine that had Xiphos smitten. But like an actual scholar as she examined every part.

"It won't fully activate without the proper adjustments..." she said, searching for hidden parts on the device to manipulate.

A few moments passed before she admitted something else.

"I knew your Grandfather. Back when I was still human. He..."

She stopped, talking about him suddenly deeply affecting her.

"I respected him. I remember that much about him to be able to say that..." she added a moment later, before she found a set of switches cleverly disguised as ornamentation. She flicked them, and altering their position triggered a sort of cascade effect within the innards of its main housing, internal devices clicking together.

A flickering blue hologram flickered to life of a handsome yet grimfaced, humorless looking man with loose but short floppy hair and a five oclock shadow, in black biker type gear with the faint symbol of the Order stamped into the shoulder of a black jacket. There was something distinctly Laertia-like in his posture, stiff, yet looking like he could rush you and close the distance in an instant if he wanted. His eyes were clearly cybernetic, even as they sported an unsettling thousand yard stare. It was the face of a man who had seen some chit.

The Battalion went decidedly quiet at the image of the Hologram, who held the original version of the Lightsaber Spear Laertia owned called Momentary Discomfort in his hand.

"Form Zero. Form Zero. Form Seven." The Hologram of Morris said, his baritone rough and unsubtle. "Form One. Form One. Form Six. Response?"

Galahad Io

Last edited:

Dev Ossian

D
Galahad looked slightly alarmed as the Battalion insisted that they activate the datacron, despite having no idea as to its origins or purpose. But he couldn’t defy the Consort, and he had to admit he was curious to see what it contained…

She made her way to his office, with a cautious Galahad following close behind. His office was clean and tidy, reflecting an occupant who cared a great deal about order. There were numerous holo-photos and a few classical works of art hanging on the walls, giving the space an elegant yet homely feel. The paintings all depicted harmonious scenes of rural landscapes and domestic tranquility. The kind of peace which members of House Io remembered, but which now seemed far beyond their reach.

The datacron was placed upon his desk, where it sat alongside paperweights, quills, inkwells, and actual parchment paper which Galahad had specially ordered for his own private use. While she worked on getting the datacron open, he took a seat behind his desk and steepled his hands. He half expected the device to explode if tampered with, but couldn’t deny his curiosity as he watched her search for the key.

At last, she found it. The datacron opened, projecting a hologram of a grizzled human male holding a lightsaber spear. Galahad’s lips parted, stunned. He recognized the weapon. It was in Xiphos’ personal armory.

As the hologram recited forms and numbers, the Chaplain’s eyes narrowed in concentration. “It is some sort of code,” he concluded. “Presumably a password to unlock the rest of the contents. Do you have any idea what the correct response might be?” Would Xiphos know? It was her own father, after all.

The Battalion paused a moment at the question Galahad Io posed.

But she was still unsettled. Her demeanor changed noticeably as she stared at the grim faced hologram.

For an absolute, very, very breif second, there was a flicker of something resembling sorrow on her face.

Flashes of the massacre came back. She had had too much of Elaine Tear burned away by Darth Phyre to fully remember everything from that day.

But she remembered enough to be disquieted. To remember the flashes. The violence. Dreams crashing to a bleak end.

Whatever was left of Elaine within The Battalion had never forgiven herself. And it was this core of self loathing over the massacre that Phyre had twisted into The Battalion's locus of control over The Dark Side.

The flicker was gone as quickly as it arrived.

"There's a pattern to the code..." she said softly. "He went from zero twice to seven. then one twice to six. If the logic holds, its a countdown, with the first two numbers being higher than the ones that preceeded it, with the third number always being lower in value than its predecessor.

She took a seat.

"I only figured out how to turn it on. But you're his grandson. It's..."

The Battalion stopped, expression looking uncertain.

"...it's better if its you who unlocks it...it's really more yours than mine..."

Dev Ossian

D
Galahad found the pattern interesting. It was certainly unusual for a datacron to have such a failsafe. The fact that the Battalion insisted he be the one to speak the code surprised him a little, but he obeyed without question.

Form 2, Form 2, Form 5, Form 3, Form 3, Form 4,” Galahad recited, hopefully opening the rest of the datacron’s contents.

With a click within the Datacron itself, the image of the grim faced man switched to some kind of record at random, showing Morris sitting at a desk. He didn't look happy. Galahad would soon realize that one of many things Morris didn't do was smile.

"Lysandra found the photo of my Father. She asked who he was. I lied to her." Morris admitted. "Told her he was an old friend who had died from illness..."

Morris removed a photo from his jacket.

"Every day some part of me tells me to burn this thing. And every day, I don't listen..."

His voice didn't take a hint of anger, his expression remained as unsmiling and granite-fixed as ever but there was that sudden shift in his tone that any Chaplain would have spotted as severe emotional stress.

"Lysandra didn't believe me of course, but she didn't press it." Morris admitted. "Just like she never believed Morris was my real name..."

Morris, blinked.

"I never could fool her..." he said very quietly. "Maybe that's why I love her."

His expression seemed to become even grimmer.

"I look at her...and I...sometimes...forget about the massive trash fire The Galaxy is...what with this plague...I look at her...and I forget the Nightingale Plains and the winds that blow across them..."

He clasped his hands together.

"It hurts less, when I'm with her..."

The image glitched out, replaced by a list of entries, each a different passage.

The Battalion had gone pale at hearing him speak.

Galahad Io

Dev Ossian

D
Galahad watched the recording in silence. When it finished, he turned to the Battalion.

That was Morris Crownwraithe?” he asked, though it was technically a rhetorical question. It had to be Morris, though Galahad saw very little resemblance between him and Xiphos. She must've taken after her mother Lysandra more.

Stroking his chin, he added, “What was Morris’ real name? And what about Morris’ father, Xiphos’ paternal grandfather? Do we have any records of the Crownwraithe family tree, I wonder…?

He was dying to pore through the archives already, but the fact that there were more entries on the datacron stayed his feet. It would save him time if he watched all of the recordings, gathered up all the data on them he could, and then answered his questions. Paying little heed to the Battalion's pallid look, he selected the next entry on the list and began to play it, figuring he might as well go in order.

The image flickered on, depicting Morris, clutching Momentary Discomfort in his hands (It should be noted his version lacked the modifications later added by Xiphos, though they both bore the same phrase on the shaft of the Lightsaber Spear:

Remember, there may be some momentary discomfort.

This time though, there was another figure. A Man in White, wearing a mask that had a purple pentagram on it that made The Battalion jolt out of her seat with a massive 'Oh Crap' look on her face.

"Sonava schutta..." The Battalion hissed. "He was talking to him..."

"I am not certain why we're talking. You have... disturbing deviations from protocol..." Morris said, eyes locked on the figure as they spoke, the stoic, yet cold edge to his voice carrying in the recording.

"Says the man who dunked a Sith Lord's head in Liquid Nitrogen." The Man in White smoothly replied, seated in an old wood chair.

"Non lethal methods of incapacitation had proven ineffective. The Nitrogen was unfortunately the most expedient method." Morris replied.

"What was expedient about shattering his frozen head afterward?"

"There is nothing in the Code saying I had to catch the rotten bastard's fall after I pulled his head out of the Nitrogen. Besides, I saw what was in his basement."

Morris paused. "If there was anybody that warranted a below zero swirly, it was his sorry ass."

"Where'd you get the Nitrogen?" The Man in White asked cynically. "Awfully convenient to have on hand to kill a guy with."

Morris Crownwraithe's expression remained as stoic as ever. His tone didn't change.

"I suspect that is the only point we do agree on." Morris answered. "It's convenience."

"Not necessarily. How do you feel about Brain Demon Cultists?"

Morris very slightly narrowed his eyes.

(Cutaway of Morris in black and white slapping a Cultist awake in her bed and UNLOADING A SHOTGUN FILLED WITH CRYO SLUGS INTO HER)

"I feel like the price for Carbonite's running too high these days." Morris answered.

(Cutaway of Morris in black in white Sparta-Kicking a Brain Demon Cultist into a chasm off a snowy mountain)

(Morris Crownwraithe's Theme Plays)

"I believe we may yet do business after all..." The Man in White trailed.

The record ended there, going back to the list.

Galahad Io

Dev Ossian

D
The next recording drew a much sharper reaction from the Battalion, who leaped out of her seat. It featured a second figure, a man wearing white. His face was obscured by a mask, hiding his identity.

Galahad listened intently to the contents of the holovid, but found his questions only multiplied. He had all but forgotten the Battalion was even there, so intent was he on learning more.

He selected the next entry on the list for playback.

The next entry flickered and it showed Morris sitting at his desk, whittling something from wood.

"Man-in-White's got himself a vision. A vision of a Galaxy without the Cult. Its attractive. But Man-in-White is fringe. He been out in the 'wilderness' too damn long and it's starting to fry his brain. You can tell. That's why I never trust the mage types. One studied spell away from frying the wrong neuron."

He finished carving his figure, that of a rancor.

"It's a killing spree is what it amounts to. A Jedi Knight has standards to maintain..."

The Battalion's flesh was silently bubbling and shuddering, face disorting as her pigmentation became darker and her hair warped into a smoother, straighter pattern...

"But...I've run into Psychos. But The Cult of The Brain Demon...I have never before encountered any group of Sith so horrendously vile."

His stoic facade cracked slightly, revealing a twitch of severe anxiety seemingly just thinking about them.

The Battalion's flesh continued to silently warp and shudder...

"It is when confronted with the darkest of shadows that a Jedi must be the brightest of lights. And yet I look at them, and I see something I couldn't care less about how I destroy them. So long as they are."

His expression became more unhappy.

"Those thoughts scare me."

The image shut off, going back to the list, just as the Assembly finished siezing control of The Battalion's body, the dark skinned woman blnking open purple eyes.

"Galahad..." The Assembly said in a soft voice. "I think we should really get started on locating who donated this. But I'd be happy to answer questions while we search. Elaine is...taking a little bit of a break." The Witch explained patiently. Her face had occasionally been seen in the Battalion's armor, so she wasn't exactly unfamiliar looking. But this was the first time they had spoken.

The flesh on her face bubbled and warped into The Battalion's for a split second before warping back to her own.

"Shall we?" The Assembly asked in a pleasant multitude of voices, one of which was The Battalion's.

Galahad Io

Dev Ossian

D
So immersed in the recordings was he, Galahad failed to notice as the Battalion transformed beside him. When she spoke, he turned to look at her—and did a double take.

The Assembly was not an unknown face to him, but it was still startling to see her suddenly standing there in the Battalion’s place.

She suggested they get to work tracing the donor. Galahad nodded. “Of course. I am eager to find out.” Reaching for the datacron, he held it carefully with both hands. “May I… keep this? Temporarily, I mean. I wish to study its contents further at a later time.

"Of course, Galahad. But it is very old. Very delicate." The Assembly said patiently, before smiling and rising.

"Galahad, perhaps I should clarify the nature of what you have as a stepmother. It is not just Elaine that is your stepmother. It is everyone that lives in this body. We are all your stepmother, Galahad. You may refer to me as Lucinda or Assembly..." The Assembly explained patiently. "I am one of dozens...your problems, are our problems. So don't hesitate to call upon one of us for assistance, should the mood strike you. It's really no inconvenience to us."

The Assembly then rose, and headed out of the office, gesturing for him to follow.

The flesh on the Assembly's face shuddered and bubbled violently for a split second as she approached the help desk, grossing the hell out of the Chiss librarian, a young intern who concealed her nausea magnificently.

"Consort, I have news on the donation. The Court Order was approved. But it caught me off guard. I had to double check to be sure when I saw the Donor name."

"Who was it?"

"Countess Arianna Belasko, Consort."

Galahad Io

Dev Ossian

D
I will take the utmost care when handling it,” Galahad reassured her.

She stopped to explain her nature to him. He tapped a finger against his chin. “If I may be so bold, Lucinda—if each of the personas within your body is but one personality among many, why would you call yourself the Assembly, and Elaine the Battalion? Those titles denote multiplicity. Wouldn’t all of you in unison be called either the Battalion or the Assembly, while individual personalities each have their own names?

Perhaps there was something more to it that he was not aware of, but otherwise he found it strange, perhaps even… amusing.

They exited his office, heading for the help desk. When the librarian told them who had donated the datacron, even Galahad raised an eyebrow.

You wouldn’t happen to know a plausible explanation for this, would you?” he asked Lucinda. He knew of Arianna’s connection to the Crownwraithes, but why she would casually donate such an important artifact without telling anyone—namely, without telling Xiphos—struck him as very unusual indeed.

"Because, Stepson, until I am controlling this body I technically am not The Assembly. Just a single personality, copied and absorbed from elsewhere." The Assembly is explained. "When Elaine is in control, Your stepmother is called The Battalion. When I am in control, Your stepmother is called the Assembly, so it goes with every other soul joined to this body. Whoever is in control has their abilities boosted by the combined power of all the others. That is why my abilities don't resemble Elaine's. But the difference between me and Elaine is that Elaine retains...overriding command authority, for lack of a better word. I cannot retain permanent control of the body. She can." The Assembly answered while she had waited for the clerk.

She was just as surprised by the answer as he was as to the donor. Her lips pursed into a frown.

"There is no plausible explanation for it." The Assembly replied. "None. Even if your grandmother was still a member of the Cult it would make no sense for her to do this, and she was the one who started The Great Online Flame War in The Hosnian System during the Plague, when she leaked the details of a famous politician's private journal."

The Assembly blinked.

"There were over a thousand people dead by the end of all that..." she added as a seeming afterthought. "They had to execute the leader of the online server where it all started. They had Mandalorians on speederbikes go in four seperate directions, each tied to a limb of the perpetrator."

She got back to the subject. "But the point stands. This is definitely not like her. She would never have discarded such a thing. But if she had it, why would she be so obtuse about it?"

The Assembly frowned. "This warrants a conversation...

Five minutes later...

A holographic projector had been brought in to an adjacent room so they could talk in private. The Assembly paced about, trying to figure out how to word it. Arianna was one of the House founders, and still a very powerful Witch. They couldn't make it seem like she was being accused. But the Assembly's suspicions grew.

Finally, a full color hologram of Arianna in a black gown shimmered into existence, The Sorceress frowning.

"Galahad. Consort..." Arianna said pointedly, though she smiled at Galahad. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

The Assembly looked at Galahad Io .

"You start. My throat's dry."

Dev Ossian

D
Hm.” Galahad mulled over her explanation, then smiled faintly. “I still think it would make things less confusing if you each went by your proper names and called yourselves together the Battalion, but very well.

The revelation of Arianna’s involvement soon took up his complete attention. Lucinda had no idea why she would have quietly donated the datacron, calling it “obtuse”. That’s a good word for it, Galahad thought.

But there was a simple solution—they could contact Arianna and question her. Entering a private room adjacent to the archives, they fired up a holographic projector to speak to the Countess.

Right away, Galahad thought he picked up on some friction between Arianna and Lucinda, though the exact nature of their relationship was unclear. He also found it somewhat unusual that the Countess was wearing a black gown rather than her usual white.

At Lucinda’s request, Galahad spoke first. “Grandmother, it has come to our attention that you recently donated a datacron to the archives. The datacron in question contained some recordings made by the late Morris Crownwraithe. We wanted to know why you gave the datacron to us, rather than showing it to Mother. I am certain she would have liked to see these recordings of her father.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom