Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory and Codex Public Discord Channels

Rusty

Purveyor of Fine Weaponry
So, not a huge deal, but I'm sure we've all noticed a fair few questions in the General Discord channel relating to Factory and Codex stuff. Mostly they get answered, but they can get buried under the random mucking about that takes place, especially during the wee hours of the morning when it's just the insomniacs, drunks, and Australians rambling on. Or worse, they get answered by the insomniacs, drunks, and Australians, and that can lead newcomers to some really strange places.

Couldn't hurt to have a separate channel for dealing with that sort of thing. Pin the rules and whatnot in the channel so they can be referenced easy, keep the chatter limited to topics concerning submissions, and you've got an easy, low pressure way for newcomers to get their questions answered.

[member="Rusty"]
I'm going to say no on this one.

• We have Codex and Factory QAs on the forum for questions.
  • Said answers are delivered there permanently, for all to see.
  • On Discord we have an issue with people dropping their $0.02 even though we tell them not to, and they are often giving misinformation.
  • It's yet another area our staff have to administer and follow.
  • We don't want people quoting Discord messages, especially given small message size, for later judgements, or misinterpreting answers.
  • We are a forum, so our main currency is in posts.
I understand why you want this, but I'm going to say no.

Rusty

Purveyor of Fine Weaponry
A brief rebuttal. Not going to try to argue this one all day, so this is all I have to say on the matter. If it's a done deal, I'll drop it.
  • No one likes being that guy who asked a stupid question in public. Discord is where most of the questions get asked on a day to day basis anyway.
  • See above. It's even worse if it's going to stick around, and how many people are going to put in the effort of scrolling through everyone else's questions?
  • Insomniacs, drunks, and Australians are answering the questions now.
  • Turn the channels over to the organizations in question. Staff needn't lift a finger.
  • If a legitimate question is asked and answered, why does it matter where the answer comes from? If someone wants to be an ass, the judges are going to shoot them down regardless.
  • Our main currency might be posts, but questions like this come up in Discord all the time anyway. It's easier and far more convenient for the person asking the question, and almost always quicker. Would you rather that currency be backed by official sources, or by insomniacs, drunks, and Australians?
[member="Valiens Nantaris"]

[member="Rusty"]
It is a done deal. I have consulted with my Codex and Factory Admins and they have informed my answer.

• I can't stop people asking and answering questions. What I am not going to do is have my judges and staff scanning for answers amid the mire of other comments. I am also not giving a veneer of legitimacy by having people think they are getting real answers when they're not.
  • As an Australian myself, I'm not sure why you lump us in that category, especially seeing as there's not that many of us on here.
  • It matters because it's easy to search and reference a post. It is not easy to reference a Discord reply interspersed with others from 4 months previously.
  • The only people who can administer this channel are the RPJs and Admins, specifically the 2 admins and 4 RPJs which are assigned to the Codex and Factory. I am not imposing more work on them that they do not want and did not ask for.
  • I would rather people get directed to the proper location to ask questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom