Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faction Idea -- Interest Check?

So with the collapse of the One Sith and Galactic Republic, as well as the departure of many factions across the board lately, and the understanding of people looking for something both new and relatively unique to get behind, I started doing a bit of research into how to maybe accomplish that and start up something that would hopefully get a bit of traction and interest from folks...

That being said, everything below is simply ideas and nothing at all is set in stone, so I would absolutely love to hear thoughts, suggestions, and ideas for how to make this enjoyable and happen. So to get to the point:

Faction Name: TBD

Form of Government: Meritocracy
(a system of governance where groups are selected on the basis of people's ability, knowledge in a given area, and contributions to society.)

Governing Body: Parliamentary Sovereignty
(The legislative body has absolute sovereignty, and is supreme over all other government institutions. It also holds that the legislative body may change or repeal any previous legislation, and so it is not bound by written law or by precedent.)

Extensions of Government:
  • Court of Masters (Force Users)
  • Security Council (NFU Army/Navy/Espionage)
  • Galactic Committee (Ambassadors, Non-Combatants)
wVvoJkT.png

So to explain the above, the faction would be overseen largely by NPC characters, with the option for PC characters to attain influence in the government, provided that merit warrants such inclusion. (My proposal for this would be by faction vote.) -- This will mostly be fluff titles and for the sake of interesting RP stories. Any important, key faction decisions would be left to majority vote (and thus RP'd as the decision of the Meritocracy as a whole.)

The subdivisions of the government will be where the majority of the faction members find themselves. Each of these branches are "separate but equal" in their own regard. This means that no one subdivision supersedes the other in any form of chain of command.

Court of Masters - This subdivision has no governing council or leader. Each Master acts as an agent of the Meritocracy. They are permitted to act on behalf of the government as they see fit, provided that they do not act in a manner that adversely affects the government. (This is not enforced, simply a structure of the government and to broadcast that this is a mostly light-sided faction, though will stretch towards neutral on occasion). Force users are not restricted by their alignment, provided that their acts align with those of the government.

Security Council - This subdivision follows a standard rank and file that most military bodies do. Any NFU may join the security council, and adjust their rank to whatever they see fit for their character's progression and story, however the rank of highest officer will be reserved as an NPC.

Galactic Committee - This subdivision will look to accommodate all non-combatant characters who are more interested in interplanetary relations, agreements, treaties, discussions, and more. Stories that are actively RP'd by those who participate in this branch of government will be given the direct ability to propose changes to the faction in both an OOC and IC sense. This will hopefully open up meaningful non-combat related RPs for those who aren't looking to thread bar brawl after galactic war, without having to do things like senate hearings or bill proposals to spur activity. Did your character have a chat with a Mandalorian to deliver aide to one of their famished worlds? Do those folks now wish to setup some type of trade agreement and possibly build a few space stations in their territory? Great! Propose it to the Parliament and involve the whole faction!

[member="Solan Charr"]

As far as long term OOC goals? I'm pretty open to ideas, but the general thought process was something along the lines of peace through negotiation. Rather than outright warring with other factions, if there was enough traction to eventually take the group major it would be to slowly expand each world by strengthening the populace of those worlds, as well as outwardly reaching other factions to build bridges and bonds with neighboring governments and worlds. The map game has been used primarily as a means to conquer. I'd like to try an alternative approach.

Bunker-level Normal
Wouldn't the inclusion of such Force Users be antithesis to the idea of peace through negotiation? That's much like suggesting a policy of peaceful negotiation with an armory of nuclear warheads poised to potentially eliminate any naysayers.

I'd love to see a faction without an official role for FUs. I know that might not be popular, Force Users are certainly a big draw for Star Wars, but I rather like the structure that, say, the First Order has as a secular style government. Having a light equivalent would be an interesting matchup.

Also, it's been a while since I've seen a good place for politicians and businessesbeings to really get a crack at making story, rather than the typical fare of soldiers/mercenaries, Force Users and black-ops type agents of death.

Peace through negotiation...

Do you think that this could be the start of a galactic trade hub? For example, create technologies for say, the GA, in exchange for say, protection from the First Order?

I always loved the idea of faction alliances with actual tangible bonuses, but it seems that staff so far has not explored the possibility very much. Would such an arrangement be desirable for this faction to help in some way to facilitate happening board wide?

Will dominions be a focus of this faction, or will we face against the trend, and absorb only a few worlds in a particular region and stick to them for the most part?

[member="Captain Jordan"]

The Force Users would still be necessary in that they act as agents more so than front line fighters. They would be more or less free to act as they needed for the purposes of ensuring stability. I would think of them more like a special operations group than anything. Their intent is not to be the face of the government, but more like what the US uses the Navy SEALS for, or even in some cases CIA agents? If that makes sense. They would not be a segment of government that interfaces with the community as a whole. People would understand they exist, but not what they do.

I hope that explains it a bit better.

Fatty said:
Do you think that this could be the start of a galactic trade hub? For example, create technologies for say, the GA, in exchange for say, protection from the First Order?
I wouldn't say no to this. It would be intriguing to setup with other factions for sure!

Fatty said:
Will dominions be a focus of this faction, or will we face against the trend, and absorb only a few worlds in a particular region and stick to them for the most part?
Yes, mostly. Dominions would be used sparingly and primarily for heavily story driven aspects that involve the need of a planet, not to increase territory. I don't want to see tentacles all over the place. The Outback seems to have that type of philosophy and I really like how their expansion looks, yet remains relatively small footprint wise.

[member="Solan Charr"]

Oh. IC goals long term would be what I mentioned above, helping to stabilize the galactic community through agreements with other factions, rather than direct war. In the short term it would be relative to stabilizing a small colony of worlds someplace to be decided if this gets off the ground, and/or whatever the member base would see as reasonable. Again I'm pretty open to suggestions.

[member="Kami Meran"] communism is literally, essentially, the opposite of a meritocracy...

Communism is "Everyone is equal (skill, caste, riches, etc.) under the government, no exceptions"

Meritocracy is "The government is everyone who has the skill to lead and preform for their country"

[member="Darth Ignus"] I thought about mentioning them, but I didn't want to discourage her from persuing her idea :)

For the record, I like the idea. Could do with some finer details, but I'm not going to get mad at you for not having everything down perfectly right away. With the GR crumbling, there's definitely a gap in the market for a new government faction, and I think that this one has what it takes for sure. Question - are all the Masters in the Court of Masters actually Masters? Only because a) you yourself, the potential creator of the faction, are at Apprentice rank and b) none of my characters are anywhere near Master rank.

Sorry I couldn't offer any actual feedback or suggestions, but I wish you luck and I'm sure I'll be sticking one of my characters into it at some point.

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

[member="Fatty"]
Oh, I was just commenting on his mention of good guys that are NFU centric and there not being any. Although I guess you could debate whether the Commonwealth is technically good or not...

I wish [member="Jamie Pyne"] the best of luck, myself, and hope she succeeds. Everyone should write the stories they want to write. :)

[member="Darth Ignus"] | [member="Fatty"]

I'm aware of the Commonwealth. It's neat, and similar in ways for sure. I'd be a bit surprised if anything entirely unique could possibly be created at this point. But I think there are enough differences to make them stand apart from another.

[member="Aria Vale"]

No, that was just the name I came up with. Could easily be modified to something else, or just assumed that the Force users would all one day become masters in their own right. :)

Bunker-level Normal
[member="Darth Ignus"]

Not even close to Core, unfortunately. Also, it seems to be not so much of a political government as a military junta. But yes, it satisfies the NFU condition.

[member="Jamie Pyne"] Hey I've got a question for you:
  • Since this is a meritocracy of PC's, how will "nominations" work? Or will it be done based on individual request? So say So-and-so wants to be on the Security Council, do they fill out a request and the Admin's create a poll for their promotion, and the faction votes them in? Are there different voting rights for different positions (those with more merit)? Etc.?
  • Also, are there any restrictions on a single character taking multiple positions? Such as a Court Master and a seat on the Security Council, or Galactic Committee? Is there a separation of government? Etc.?

[member="Fatty"]

Those are two really good questions. Both of my answers are open to suggestions, but this is what I'm thinking:

To the first point:
  • Joining the branches like the Court Masters, Security Council, and Ambassadors - Functionally it's simply easier to allow anyone to join them. I don't know if there's any situation where a faction vote for everyone who wants to join the three PC'd branches would work well. I feel like that route would start to get murky like the Republic's Senate used to be.
  • Nominations would be for things like promotion to the Parliament as a PC (Mostly fluff titles and story bonuses.) These could be submitted by folks participating in the faction as ambassadors and other non-combatant characters. I'd also be open to the non-combatant branch nominating Knights for Mastership promotion based on their merit, if the faction as a whole would like a new approach on that too.

Fatty said:
Also, are there any restrictions on a single character taking multiple positions? Such as a Court Master and a seat on the Security Council, or Galactic Committee? Is there a separation of government? Etc.?
  • Yes. If you are a member of one you cannot be a member of the other. It would be like having two real world jobs as a CIA agent and Senator. I don't think it would make sense, or be realistically plausible. Not only that but I feel it would also diminish the importance of one or more roles in the faction. I'd be open to story driven purposes as to why someone might be able to hide their identity though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom