Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship Expeditionary Jump Gate

Status
Not open for further replies.
paul-chadeisson-testspeed-0228.jpg

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: To create a unique mode of FTL for
  • Image Source: Paul Chadeisson
  • Canon Link: N/A
  • Permissions: N/A
  • Primary Source: N/A
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: Thraedar Expeditionary Group
  • Affiliation: Thraedar Expeditionary Group
  • Market Status: Closed-Market
  • Model: JumpG-E1
  • Production: Limited
  • Material: Durasteel, Lots of computer bits
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: (Asteroid Base, Deep Space Manufacturing Facility, Skyhook, Medical Station, Orbital Docking Platform, Space Colony)
  • Length: 600 meters
  • Width: 5,000 meters
  • Height: 5,000 meters
  • Armament: None
  • Defenses: Very High
  • Hangar Space: Four shuttle bays for civilian transport designated North, East, South, and West respectively
  • Maneuverability Rating: Very Low
  • Speed Rating: Low
  • Hyperdrive: None
STANDARD FEATURES

All Standard Features for a Trade/Habitation station

ADVANCED SYSTEMS

Gravitic Shield Generator

STRENGTHS

Near Instantaneous:
Jump Gates allow for quick bursts of speed which are somewhat faster than the typical hyperdrive

WEAKNESSES

Positioning:
The problem with Jump Gates is you have to actually aim them. This is accomplished usually by complex calculating algorithms and AI with a low rate of failure or mistake. This can make even the near instantaneous jumps take hours as the ring may need to relocate in the system to allow for transportation and then take a good few minutes double checking its calculations to make sure it doesn't hurl you into a sun, planet, or out in the void of space. Most of the time ring gates have 'Windows' for different nearby star systems with certain hours of the day allocated to different nearby systems allowing for easier scheduled transit.

DESCRIPTION

Unlike this galaxies species, the Thraedar use 'Jump Gates' to traverse the galaxy. Each gate is equipped with powerful gravity manipulating technology that effectively sling shots ships from system to system achieving bursts of speed far exceeding the speed of light. Every ship travelling this way must however have gravitic shields to effectively bend space around the ship to allow it to achieve such speeds while remaining still in its own bubble of space basically surfing a bubble of regular space along the gravity anomaly. These gates however have limited range, and are only able to shoot ships from star system to star system.

Each Jump Gate also acts as a central hub of trade for each star system or a good port to book passage or meet contacts. The Expeditionary Jump Gate lacks some of this polish however, giving up the larger frame with more facilities for a smaller less detailed frame which is far easier to gather resources for and assemble.

Last edited:
Gir Quee Gir Quee

It's not a hypergate because hypergates allow you to travel anywhere in the galaxy that has another hypergate. These allow you to travel from system to system rather quickly, but making long voyages will still take days because you'll have to go through dozens of Jump Gates hopping from system to system

Muphinz Muphinz , that effectively sounds like a hyperspace cannon then, which is fine in basic concept.

Near Instantaneous: Jump Gates allow for quick bursts of incredible speed, leaving one system and entering another nearby system in a blink of the eye.

This phrasing of "near instantaneous" immediately drew part of my mind to the hyperspace gate. Traditionally, the factory has allowed some unusual faster than light drives / technologies with the understanding that this drive is not superior to the common hyperdrive ("near instantaneous" kind of makes it sound like it is). If you'll add an explicit disclaimer somewhere in here that this isn't faster than a hyperdrive, I'd appreciate that.

This also looks like it is missing the "production" field. If you'll add that as well please.

Gir Quee Gir Quee

Went ahead and fixed the production problem.

So I think the easiest way of working out the problem with the wording regarding the Jump Gate is me explaining what exactly I'd like to be done with it and your input if that's even possible and if so what I'd need to change to implement it in a way that would fit with the vibe of the forums and the rules.

So I'm not wanting anything superior to the Hypderdrive, just on-par or equal to it with things that are better than the hyperdrive but other aspects that make it worst. What I'd like Jump Gates to be is to be Faster than hyperdrive but significantly more limited and easier to sabotage. Where hyperdrives are ship bound and extremely flexible Jump Gates are stagnant stations that require aligning and special equipment to operate. Sure they are faster if every jump gate is pre-aligned it would allow an individual or fleet to travel remarkably quickly but if even one of those stations is damaged, hacked, or disrupted that fleet won't be able to arrive at its destination until that ring is fixed, which could take days or even weeks depending the extent of the damage.

Basically, Hyperdrive is flexible and doesn't require infrastructure while Jump Gates are faster if everything is set up perfectly and no one blows anything up.

If that's too problematic I'd be willing to break it down to a similar speed as Hyperdrives but I would like to create something that isn't just Hyperdrive but slightly to the left if that makes any sense.

Muphinz Muphinz , I think that if you were to say something like it is marginally faster (like x0.9 on average for the station compared to the typical hyperdrive of x1 in speed) than a hyperdrive, this would probably be fine.

Gir Quee Gir Quee

Edited with your recommendation, it now reads:

" Near Instantaneous: Jump Gates allow for quick bursts of speed which are somewhat faster than even advanced hyperdrives "

Muphinz Muphinz , if you'll change the "advanced hyperdrive" to something like the "typical" or "average hyperdrive", we'll be good to go.

The reason I say this is that a number of people on the board have made very powerful unique or semi-unique hyperdrives that really, really fast (off the top of my head, x0.3 is the fastest one that I can think of). But they come with significant limitations, very small production, and frequently required the use of extensive development threads if they were older subs. Any ship that uses these gates isn't going to have those issues/limitations, as their speed is dependent on this gate rather than the ship themselves.

Alternatively, if you want to keep the "advanced" part, I think lowering the production of the station to semi-unique or unique would be reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom