Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engineer for Hire

VanceCaydence

Engineer, Caydence Naval Yards
*Settling into his chair next to his work station, the native Carratosian reaches his hand out to adjust the holocapture device that he's set up on the nearby table. His attire is somewhat-befitting a mechanic - loose-fitting grey t-shirt, a three-point tech harness, dark leather pants and grav-boots. His dark brown hair is cut remarkably-short, and he has a certain amount of scruff on his face that is characteristic of his profession. He sees the image of himself, and does a quick check to ensure that his capture is framed correctly before clearing his throat to begin the vid.*

"Uh...hello. Yeah, um...guess I better introduce myself. Name's Vance Caydence. Uh, born and raised on Carratos -- third-gen mechanic and engineer." *He adjusts himself in the seat, obviously unnerved at the notion of having to prepare the capture. He rubs the back of his head as he grins nervously.* "Heh...never had to do this before. I hope I'm doing it right. Uhm...yeah, so, I'm relatively-new to this idea. Putting myself out there has never been my strong suit. I, uh, realize that there's a chance not many people are going to see this, but, I felt like this was the best way to get my name out there."

"As I said...I'm a third-generation mechanic. My father and his father before him were both master technicians, and I took a liking to ships and engines almost as soon as I could get my hands on a spanner." *He scoffs at his own wording.* "That...sounded rather cliche. What I meant to say is, I'm indebted to them for the desire they instilled in me to work on all manner of starship. It's a decent trade, and, I know it'll take care of the bills."

"I guess the reason I'm doing this is because I'm trying to get the Caydence name out there. My grandfather, gods rest him, was the best engineer of his division in the Alliance Navy. Up until the Alliance's dissolution following, uh," *He coughs* "the start of the New Age, he was stationed here on Carratos as the Foreman over the entire Alliance garrison's technical division. After the Alliance left, he stayed, doing his best to raise my father and take care of my grandmother. We, uh, never left. My grandfather partnered with a man by the name of Hal Garros, and they ran Garros Naval Yard for thirty years together before my father, Athen, and his brothers (Nigel and Caide) bought out the business in their twenties." *Smiling, he continued.* "They must've thought that 'Caydence Naval Yard' had a better ring to it. It'd be another five years before I came into the picture, the eldest son of the great Athen Caydence. I, uh, had a lot to live up to. Still do, come to think of it."

"So, uh, anyway...I'm the oldest of five kids. I have two younger sisters, and - you guessed it - two brothers. My pops was a busy man." *Laughing* "I'd better not say much else, sorry Pops."

*He begins to look around, surveying the shop and gesturing with his hands.*

"This whole shop was my father's greatest gift to me. He gave me the rights to the fighter wing. It's, uh...it's large enough to work on everything from personal starships to speeders, I've got my pet project - the Gravitas - parked in the rear two bays. She's a Barloz-class, got quite a few miles on her. I'm working on getting her flight-ready; got a few ideas in mind that might revolutionize the industry, if I play my cards right. I, uh...I call her the Gravitas because she's reminding me why I'm here; and, uh...also because I'm not too karking sure I'll ever get her off the ground."

*He chuckles a bit before continuing.*

"So, uh...I'm guessing that just about covers what there's to know about me--oh! I almost forgot! Uh...chances are, you won't find your way over on my side of the galaxy. Carratos isn't exactly a, uh...vacationer's destination, if you get my drift. But, if you do, and you're needing some repairs or modifications, drop on by our yard. We've got some of the most-competitive prices in the system. When ya do manage to get by, tell 'em Vance sent you. Could be worth a discount to the right people, as long as the fam's not mad at me!" *He lets out a light laugh, looking away from the camera for a second before reaching out with his hand toward the holocapture.* "Oh, and uh...thanks for letting me set this up. Glad to be here."

*The holocapture shuts off, leaving Vance there to contemplate his recording for a few moments before sending it off to the editing crew. Hopefully, they'd be able to make him and his family look good. They needed the business.*

(OOC: Just wanted to give a little bit of flair to my introduction. Hopefully it lets people know a bit about my RP style, if anyone's interested in that sort of thing. Anyway, like the story says, I'm Vance! Not exactly new to the writing game, but definitely new to this site. A friend of mine told me about this spot, and I'd like to try my hand at a character concept that I've been toying around with. This whole place will take a lot of getting used to, I'm sure, so if any of you have any advice that might help me get started, I'm ready and willing to listen! Thanks in advance, and I hope to see you on the boards!)

Nyx

Insert Hilarious Title Here
[member="Vance Caydence"]
Wow. Impressive.
Welcome to Chaos! I think this is a pretty good place to start; it's a timeline describing the events leading to the current state of Chaos.
Got any questions or something we can help you with, don't hesitate to ask. Most of us don't bite.

VanceCaydence

(OOC: Wow...I can see now that I'm a bit..."behind the times" as some would say...looks to me like I'll have to do some editing, and rethink a bit of my storyline. Thank you for the information! It's been a big help!)

Welcome to Chaos :)! This is an OOC part of the board (though don't get out of character on my behalf) so no need to worry about OOC brackets and such.

Have fun, feel free to dive into RP as soon as you have your bio for your character(s) written up!

VanceCaydence

[member="Braith Achlys"]

Ah, very well then! I'm finding my way around, and I'll likely have something up shortly. I have a quick question, though, regarding my group name that says "Writer"...if I simply wish for it to state that it's my character and not me as a writer, how might I go about changing that?

Nyx

Insert Hilarious Title Here
Writer is your first account.
If you want a character account, go to your profile, click on 'characters' in the top right, and add a subaccount. That account will have the 'Character' tag automatically.

Character subaccounts (such as this one, I'm [member="Braith Achlys"]) will automatically receive the "Character" title under the avatar box. You can achieve this the same way that [member="The Black Hat"] mentioned above, by either clicking your account name in the post, your avatar below it, or at the top left of the site where it shows a miniaturized avatar and your account name (click the avatar).

Once there, at your profile page, click the Characters button, which should open a new little window that will say "Go to Vance Caydence's OCC Account" and below that will show your writer account and a largely empty box in the already-highlighted Character tab. Below the Character tab will be an "Add Subaccount" box, which you would click and then type in the name of the character you want.

From there you would scroll back up to the top of the page, locate the empty white dropdown box that should say "Select..." or otherwise remain empty, click it and then select which account you would like to switch to. After switching to your new character subaccount you are able to post via that account, customize their avatars, signatures, notification options, etc, just as you did with your writer account. The only thing you cannot do is change a character account's name or delete them. The former of those are done via going to the Request Your Rank Titles | Sub-Account Name Change thread and requesting the name be changed. The latter is no longer done, so any old characters will have to be recycled as a new character or left in cyberspace after you stop writing them.

Minnosh

M

Welcome to Chaos! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask :)

Enjoy your stay!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom