Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Elysian Focus Crystal

Status
Not open for further replies.
MvBij4o.jpg
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: First United Astral Engineering
  • Affiliation: Agents of Chaos, Elysian Dolls, Closed-Market
  • Model: N/A
  • Modularity: Yes; Power Output Depends on the Power, Skill, and Force Reservoir of the Focuser.
  • Production: Mass-Produced
  • Material: Synthetic Force Crystal Components and Crystalline Materials
PHYSICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Synthetic Force Crystal
  • Weight: Very Light
  • Color: Magenta, Cyan, Violet Red, Hot Pink, Spring Green, and/or, Royal Blue
  • Resistances:
    • Energy: Extreme
    • Kinetic: None
    • Lightsabers: Very Low
    • Acids/Corrosives: Very Low
    • Sonic: Very Low
    • EMP/Ion/Electronic Disruption: Extreme
    • Extreme Heat: Extreme
    • Extreme Cold: Very Low
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • The Elysian Focus Crystal derives its power from a sentient, Force-sensitive focuser who is capable of consciously channeling the Force through the crystal in order to enable a massive energy output which is many times more robust than that of a typical kyber crystal of the same size.
STRENGTHS
  • Exponential Power Increase: When focused by a sentient Force-sensitive being, the Elysian Focus is capable of delivering a disproportionately larger degree of power compared to other kyber crystals of its size. The amount of power generated depends heavily on the power, skill, and Force reservoir of the focuser. Acolyte/Padawans-level focusers are able to focus enough energy to power anything from a small craft up to a frigate, Knight-level focusers can amplify enough energy to power anything from a large frigate to a large star destroyer, and Master-level focusers can power anything from a small cruiser to very rarely, a dreadnought.
  • Smooth Power Delivery: The crystals provide a viable alternative means of power generation for starships from standard reactors. When focused by a Force-sensitive sentient, they are almost completely immune to the effects of EMP or Ion discharges and provide significant resistance to power draining or “tech-dead” effects.
WEAKNESSES
  • Ysalamir: Within the bubble of a Ysalamir, the sentient focuser will be unable to consciously channel the Force through the crystal, rendering the Elysian Focus to be completely ineffective. These effects can prove especially crippling to a host platform if the crystal is being focused by a Force-user to power something larger and more demanding than the crystal’s size would otherwise be able to sustain.
  • Outside Power Source: Like all kyber crystals, the Elysian Focus requires power from another source, which is then channeled through the crystal and ideally, focused by a sentient Force-sensitive to augment the energy output.
  • Focus: In effect, unlike other kyber crystals, the Elysian Focus requires a sentient Force-sensitive focuser in order to retain function. In the absence of one, the Elysian Focus will be almost entirely nonfunctional, only acting as a channel through which power passes through without being energized, focused, or amplified.
  • Training and Development: While all Elysian Focus crystals are “created equal”, the degree to which power that is channeled through the crystal is energized depends entirely on the power, skill, and Force reservoir of the focuser. As such, focusers need training in order to be effective in energizing power as it passes through a crystal. In addition, after training, it can take many years and potentially, decades to develop a focuser to the point where they would be able to independently power large battlecruisers or even dreadnoughts. Focusers must also be trained specifically in the specific applications of the Force pertaining to amplifying energy through the Elysian Focus crystal. In essence, Master-level Force users who possess a strong mastery over conventional Force powers, but who lack experience or training in harnessing the Elysian Focus will only be as powerful as an Acolyte-level focuser, until they undergo the necessary training.
  • Single-Minded Focus: Focusing and amplifying energy through the Elysian Focus crystal is often a single-minded task, and as such, focusers typically must devote all of their energy and attention to it, unless they are powering something which requires less power than their maximum output. For example, most focusers can power a computer while simultaneously using it to type a paper, with negligible amounts of stress. While a typical Acolyte-level focuser can power a starfighter at maximum power output, they will struggle to find the energy to pilot it, whereas Knight and Master-level focusers will be able to both power and control it with varying amounts of stress.
DESCRIPTION
A synthetically-crafted crystal, the Elysian Focus was created within the kyber crystal research laboratories of the Scintilla, initially intended as research for an entirely separate project. However, due to its inability to passively amplify any energy that is channeled through it or lend said energy any special characteristics without the active influence of a Force-sensitive sentient, the crystal was initially placed into storage. The unique qualities of the crystal were discovered entirely by accident, only after a Force-sensitive scientist registered a minutely different power output between energy which had passed through the crystal and energy that had not been passed through it, whereas other scientists had registered no measurable difference during their tests. After a few more tests, studies, and investigations, the value of the crystal was finally uncovered by the researchers. In doing so, they discovered that only when actively focused by a Force-sensitive sentient, the crystal could generate a disproportionately higher degree of power output and amplification than any other crystal of its size. From there, the potential applications of the crystal were theorized and tested, and it was decided that the crystal, named the “Elysian Focus”, would be applied to a new project to develop what was essentially a living reactor and power source...

Last edited:
Okay, so I think this is a really insanely cool concept! I do have a concern though...

Acolyte/Padawans-level focusers are able to focus enough energy to power anything from a small craft up to a frigate, Knight-level focusers can amplify enough energy to power anything from a large frigate to a large star destroyer, and Master-level focusers can power anything from a small cruiser to very rarely, a dreadnought.

This seems like a very powerful crystal to have at the Mass-Produced production level. At that production level, the entire galaxy could theoretically put these in all their ships and so long as they had some force-users around, pretty much have access to UNLIMITED POWAH!

I would feel a little better if you either: Reduced the production scale to Limited or Semi-Unique or reduced the amount of power that can be amplified by a force-user. For example have:
  • Padawan/Acolyte-level focusers be able to power up to a small craft​
  • Knight-level focusers be able to power up to a frigate​
  • Master-level focusers be able to power up to a star destroyer​

In either case, I would also feel better if you added to the weakness: Focus, an excerpt stating that in order to get the full use of the crystal, a force user must devote all their attention/energy to it.

It's up to you how you want to handle this, but please let me know what you decide and make any necessary edits to the sub and tag me when you're done. As always, if you have any questions or concerns please tag me here and I will do what I can to help.

Thanks!

Mellifluous Magenta Mellifluous Magenta

Thank you for the review!

First, I'd like to clarify the production level. The crystal is meant to be a component of a cybernetic heart submission, which will later go into a species submission. That said, I'm planning for the species to be synthetically-created by the same company I used in this submission, so I decided to go for mass-production to err on the side of caution. However, since I'm only planning for the species to have ~500-1000 individuals at most, I think I could push it down to Limited or Minor if necessary.

In order to address the concern of any Force-user being able to amplify power channeled through the crystal, I added a bit more to the "Training and Development" weakness to clarify that even Master-level Force-users who lack training in harnessing the Elysian Focus will only be able to match the power output of an Acolyte-level focuser, which would only allow them to power a fighter.

I also added a "Single-Minded Focus" weakness, but it does have some caveats.

Beltran Rarr Beltran Rarr

Okay, I think that's fair enough. So on the understanding that I'm not going to see a hundred thousand star destroyers powered by these crystals, I am willing to keep the production level at Mass-Produced and I am happy with the other changes you've made. Just be aware that if these crystals are abused, they can be reported and retro-actively denied.

APPROVED.

Mellifluous Magenta Mellifluous Magenta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom