Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Elrood by Starlight: Ray meets Keira

stf51_Plains1.jpg

With: [member="Keira Ticon"]

The vast expanse of grasslands stretched outward seemingly to the end of the world. A gentle breeze stirred the tall blades, a symphony of nature to those who knew how to listen for it. The early evening air was warm and the scent of sun baked grasses drifted on the tranquil currents. Birds chirped in the distance.

Such peace. Such beauty. Lorraei sighed contentedly as he watched the sinking Sun. But nothing lasts forever. With a heavy heart he rose up from his sitting position atop his AT-360 Light Freighter and took another drag of his Cæmel Dragons Cigarette. He turned away from the setting Sun to look back toward civilization. A grand city sat in the distance, it's occupants hustling and bustling about their daily lives, ignoring the pleasures of nature sitting just beyond their doorstep. A shame really but who was he to judge.

"Where are you?" He asked the evening air. His gaze swept the horizon once more. No sign of the buyer. Still.

"What a waste of my time. What the kark am I going to do with two hundred assault rifles?" He took a final drag from his cigarette before dropping it to the hull beneath his feet. A heel came down to grind the glowing ember out of existence. Did yet another buyer bail on him without so much as a call to cancel?

In all of her twenty-four years of life, no matter which major or minor galactic power she found herself affiliated with, Keira could never recall making her way to the planet of Elrood. It was a peaceful, out of the way place, factors that easily contributed to her lack of interest in all that it had to offer. Well, that was, until this day. Or rather, evening. There wasn't much she could do in the way of recalling exactly why she had finally made her way there in the first place, but it was too late for those idle thoughts, as she was already on the surface and had been for the better part of a few hours. Immediately upon landing a presence had caught her attention, one that hovered somewhere between light and dark, not dedicated to either dogma. An interesting aura, all told, and one that warranted some kind of looking into.

So it was she found herself currently walking through the plains with the setting sun at her back, searching for someone she normally wouldn't have been bothered to look for had there been anything else with which to occupy her time. But there wasn't, she was here already, and that was that. It was enough to settle the argument in her mind, and besides, it was far more peaceful out here than it ever was in any city, regardless of what planet it sprawled across. This was as close to peace as she would ever get, and regardless of what chaos it might bring she would attempt to enjoy it in the moment. Which meant not questioning a good thing, no matter how fleeting it likely was. Why do I even care? It's not like it's going to hurt me one way or another. Either way, life goes on.

Despite these sentiments she pressed on, that nudging at her subconscious refusing to leave her alone unless she did just that. Past experience told her she was meant to find something here, something more than another sentient that wouldn't earn a second glance. Never one to put much stock into destiny or an action being the will of the Force itself, she chalked it up to her own instinct and nothing more than a coincidence that the two of them happened to be on the same planet at the same time. Anything else was a superfluous assumption, and a waste of everyone's time. This was merely happenstance, and something to do as the sun set and any other inhabitants trundled off to bed to wait for another day to begin as the sun rose once more. A unique diversion, but still a diversion thus far.

As the man and his ship came into sight she paused, ever watchful and always aware of her surroundings. There was no reason to trust him right away, and he had just as much reason to share those thoughts when it came to her presence. Her younger self would have approached in a far more guarded manner, but hers was open, the lightsaber at her hip typically enough to dissuade any would-be attackers. Coming into earshot just in time to catch his last likely rhetorical inquiry, she lifted one shoulder in a semblance of a shrug. "There are a lot of things you can do. Sell them off to some mercenary group, or the next highest bidder." Should he turn to face her he would find the barest traces of a smile on her lips, and an amused glint to her amber eyes. "Name's Keira."

[member="Lorraei"]

Tension run up Ray's spine, visible in the sudden squaring of his shoulders. His head started to turn toward the voice but stopped mid-motion. How the frell did someone sneak up on me? His right hand came up slowly. After a few quick motions near his face the hand fell away. Slowly he turned to face the woman that had spoken.

His face was covered by a strip of fabric from his head wrap, only a small portion of deeply tanned skin and coal black eyes showing. Despite hiding his facial features, the desert fox was unmistakable. Dressed in traditional desert robes typical of Tatooine, only his was boldly colored red and purple. Those that saw him once would certainly never miss him in a crowd.

His eyes swept over the woman, settling briefly on the sabre hilt at her waist. Nice view. So he did it again, more slowly this time, rather blatantly in fact. His head tilted slightly to one side in a quizzical manner as his gaze moved to meet her's.

"This was the next bidder. Hadn't thought to try a merc crew though, might have to look into that."

His gaze shifted to her sabre intently.

"I take it your not one of the uprights that usually carry those."

Lorraei's thumbs hooked into the thick sash at his waist, watching the woman carefully.

[member="Keira Ticon"]

Already he was proving himself to be the cautious sort, taking what action was possible in order to conceal his identity from her before turning to look her over not once, as had been expected, but twice, and the second time far more slowly and deliberately. Though she could be almost certain there were thoughts processing behind those dark eyes, he remained carefully silent, not rushing and being certain to take his time before words were finally put forth. His gaze met hers in the next moment, her own remaining just as steady. Each of them was silently feeling the other out, searching for any visible strengths and weaknesses while doing their best to conceal their own. It was these sort of encounters that had been lacking in her life recently, and it was nice to return to something at least marginally familiar.

That his focus seemed to linger on her weapon for a moment longer than was average wasn't a surprise, and she managed a minute half-smile at his offhanded comment. "A Jedi? Far from it. No, I'm the sort of person they'll warn you against becoming if you don't stay on the straight and narrow. But you don't seem like the type to care much about that." Not if he was carting around a ship full of weapons, at any rate, and looking to sell them off no less. If she had by some chance belonged to any galactic authorities, chances were he would have already been in that ship and off-planet before conversation could be made. At least, he seemed the sort to be plenty wise enough in the way of not getting caught. Intelligence like that was indispensable. That likely made him quite the company to keep.

"There are plenty of criminal syndicates that would buy from you. If you look in the right places, you shouldn't have any problem getting rid of them. I don't have the type of connections that you're looking for anymore, but I'd recommend starting on Nar Shaddaa. A few old friends might be able to help you out from there." It was up to him to take matters into his own hands from that point, and really, she couldn't care less whether he ended up finding a buyer for the assault rifles or not. It wasn't her problem to begin with, but appearing civilized once in awhile wasn't always a bad thing. It helped to give others cause to look past any outward appearances that would otherwise dissuade them from continuing to converse with her. That didn't make it any more than an act, most times.

Returning his careful look with one of her own, she let that tense silence hang in the air between them for a moment. Sometimes it was better to keep the other party wondering, and play her cards closely. Especially when she knew next to nothing about the other, and had less of a reason to trust who he was or claimed to be. Her half-smile widened slightly. "Do you have a name as well, or am I supposed to guess until I figure it out?" It was her own roundabout way of turning the conversation away from her own identity and what she happened to be on the planet for. That was something he didn't need to know, as long as it wasn't necessary to divulge anything of the sort. Sure, her name didn't mean much in the galactic scheme, but it was who she affiliated with that was of more notoriety.

[member="Lorraei"]

Lorraei squinted in the waning sunlight. All his careful examination proving rather useless as the woman, Keira apparently, hadn't so much as moved beyond a spreading smile. A pretty one too. Shame about the ruined jaw line. It really was beyond his ability to ignore things like a woman's smile. His Zeltron blood was rather bothersome that way.

"Pretty and a liar. That's a dangerous mix, my lady Keira. All the ones I was warned about have unhealthy ash grey skin and permanently bloodshot eyes. Have to tell you, from up here your not matching well with the stories of Sith."

Lorraei turned his head off to his left, his gaze following the wing of his ship. Now that's one way to test motive. He turned back to the young woman, she seemed content to stand with the Sun at her back. Tactically a good place to be when your opposition held the high ground. A sabre at her hip didn't necessarily mean she was here for a fight, only that she was willing to answer a challenge. Something Ray could respect considering the number of blades hidden about his person. Oh right, and the sabre his thumbs were resting against as they sat tucked in his sash.

"Nar Shaddaa? That's Chiasa's front yard. You know, Red Ravens turf. Their president and I have an understanding. Our," He paused to consider his words for a moment, "businesses don't cross paths unless she and I are personal involved."

He fell quite once more. For long moments the two stared at one another, gauging one another. Where the kark did miss "I'm the girl they warn you about" come from? There's nothing out here. The tension broke as the woman asked for his name, and it was all he could do not to laugh. A grin split his face, hidden though it was.

"Alright, my lady Keira. I'll share but it will cost you something." His left hand came up to gesture out toward the wing of his ship, "Walk with me to that end of my ship so I don't have to stare at the Sun."

He didn't wait for a reply, he simply started walking along the top of his vessel. His gaze never leaving the woman below. His hand fell to his side once more as he moved. Then it happened. After about two steps, he breathed in the Force. Drawing in all the energy he could gather. His left hand twitched as he took hold of a water skin that had been resting at his feet, dragging it along the hull behind him. From where she stood the chances of her being able to see the skin were all but nonexistent. The sound of it moving was masked by the flowing fabrics of his robes.

[member="Keira Ticon"]

That smile took on something of a wry edge, and Keira shook her head. "Who said anything about being Sith? You assume far too much." It wasn't unusual for most to jump from one dogma to the other when it came to evaluating a Force sensitive, but there were those that chose to walk neither path, some treading the fine line in between while others took on other understandings of the light and dark both. It was she who chose the latter option, perfectly aware of her alignment when it came to the dark, but wasn't bothered enough to do much of anything to remedy the fact. It had the potential to be off-putting to some, while others regarded it as something perfectly natural. Either the man hadn't learned how to extend his awareness quite far enough to detect the aura of another just yet, or he wasn't one to care.

As he walked along the top of his ship she followed on the ground, eventually drawing the Force into her legs and jumping up onto the wing itself. Augmenting her own ability with the ethereal was a skill that came easily after practice, and something she had utilized intentionally in the moment. It was one way to test his own thoughts on the Force itself, and how he regarded those that exploited their talents everyday. Studying his face carefully, or what she could see, she continued, "I'm not quite Sith either. I don't think they'd keep my sort of company." Not that she had bothered finding out. That would have been a waste of time. "I'm dark, but not quite the same sort you're used to seeing. Reach out through the Force, then tell me what you feel." It would be up to him to put into words the simmering volatility of her presence.

The name of the Ravens caused her expression to become just a bit more subdued. That had been home once, in what felt like another time. Before events had spiraled out fo her control, events that led to her eventual enslavement by The Primeval. For nothing more than a simple servant she had her share of freedoms, exhibited in her supposed wandering to Elrood itself. It wasn't quite the same as belonging to the criminal syndicate, but given what turmoil her life had been lately, it was sanctum enough. "I'm plenty familiar with the name of the Ravens." A pause. "I'm certain you'd be able to arrange something within their own territory. If I know Chiasa at all, she'd be willing to arrange something mutually beneficial for the both of you." That was how business often worked, after all.

Despite her silence on the matter she was acutely aware of his mention of there being a price, though any attempts to determine just what it would be came up short. He was a difficult one to read, unlike the others she'd encountered previously under similar circumstances. Where many were rash he was far more careful and deliberate, just as much so as she. Appreciative traits that were irritating in their own way. "You don't have to continue with the formality. It's just Keira." Never had she exercised anything of the sort. Any titles or proper addresses got in the way of getting things done. Semantics were just a waste of breath. "Name your price, then. Just be aware that I'm not much of a negotiator." Something he would likely learn soon enough.

[member="Lorraei"]

Ray's smile vanished as the woman leapt into the air. Alarm rushed his thoughts instantly and his body acted without consulting his rational mind. The Force he held at ready flowed into his legs and with unnatural speed he retreated some five paces. Leaving a fair gap between them as the woman landed. With a thought the water skin flew to his outstretched hand. His breathing became ragged for a few seconds, unaccustomed as he was to manipulating some much energy so quickly. The gallon of water slammed into his palm, throwing his arm to the side unintentionally. A fine distraction hopefully as his right hand pulled a throwing knife from his sash. He didn't throw, merely kept the weapon low against his leg should she advance on him.

He listened quietly as she spoke of touching her aura. He hadn't thought to do so, it had always seemed rude. Now she had invited it and he considered it for a moment. The last person he had delved into was his consort, [member="Cryax Bane"]. That was a Dark place, and one he tried to stay out of. This woman claimed to be dark herself, openly admitted to it in fact. Was it really a good idea to root around in there? No. Probably safer to stay out of her mind. Instead he opted to let her keep speaking. His mention of the notorious Red Ravens had a visible effect on her and her carefully chosen words all agreed with his observation. There was a story there, one he should likely leave alone.

"You misunderstand, lady Keira. These rifles are from the Ravens. More precisely from someone that sells them whole sale to the Ravens. I would lose money anyway you cut that deal."

Screw it. Oh that need to know was eating at him. She invited him to reach out and curiosity insisted he do it. Just a quick touch. Yeah. What harm could come from it, right? So Ray reached out, tentatively. The impression was near indescribable, her aura was immense. Vast and complex. There was darkness yes, spread through like a bruise. Complex networks of pain and sorrow. A flood of hurt and mistrust and loneliness. Anger. Yet, there was such beauty beyond that bruise. Such depth that he couldn't, or perhaps wouldn't reach into. It was too much. He lurched away, staggered by the immensity of her power. For the first time in years Ray understood the depths of a master's aura once more. It left the desert fox gasping as he stepped backwards several more times. If she is here for a fight, I'm a dead man.

"Lorraei." He said between harsh breaths, "My name is Lorraei. And your right on two counts, Keira. First, you lack the hatred of the Sith. Yes, dark in ways but not like the Sith. Second, lady is a poor honorific on my part, and I apologize for it. Mistress or master is much more suited."

His left hand came up slowly to tug the shroud away from his face with one finger. Beneath lay the caramelized skin of one born to Tatooine, an immaculately trimmed beard of jet black hair and a half smile that left dimples in his cheeks. He bit down on the stopper of the water skin, swallowing down a mouthful. Ray held the skin out in offering.

"The charge was stepping out of the sun set. Can't have you two competing. That much lovely is liable to kill a man."

[member="Keira Ticon"]

His reaction to her sudden approach was something anticipated in a vague sense, and once he palmed a throwing knife her left hand strayed to the hilt at her waist, not taking the weapon in hand but prepared to ignite it at a moment's notice. A beat of tense silence passed, and only when he spoke again did her position shift, hand falling to her side. It had never been within her capacity to relax around another, and with their respective blades close at hand the task wasn't made any easier. The response her sudden movement elicited told her that he was at the very least unused to another that not only shared the same connection he did, but wasn't afraid to exploit it when it best served them. But the way he in turn harnessed it to his own advantage meant that he was familiar with his own talent in some sense.

As he rather hesitantly stretched out to touch on her aura Keira did the same in return, maintaining her intrusion as a minute thing, not imposing on him in the slightest. Where her was dark his hovered on that fine middle line, muddled and blurred between light and dark. It would only take one well-placed nudge to set him off in one direction or another, but he didn't appear to be one so easily swayed astray of his own personal beliefs. Unlike her he wasn't tainted by harsh reality just yet, though he wasn't innocent of the horrors that the galaxy had to offer in any sense. In a sense his presence was reminiscent of where hers had been firmly rooted years ago, where she could have been had life not unbalanced her and led her in what many considered the wrong direction. Turning him wasn't in her interests. It never had been, for anyone.

The general unrest that flooded her senses after he completed his assessment was impossible to miss, exemplified in the physical realm as well. Her own power was something she never considered, nor did she ever bother with flaunting it. It simply was, existing alongside the darkness that permeated her very being and perhaps being supplemented by it to some degree. But it was never something she pushed upon another unless such a challenge was echoed beforehand. Her alignment hadn't been a conscious choice, but rather something more circumstantial, a factor she had learned to embrace and improve upon over time. The same volatility that had always accompanied her had never left, becoming heightened as she became further intertwined with the dark, eventually forming an inescapable net. But it was never something she expected another to react as such to.

Once the fabric was pulled away from his face she studied him carefully, something of a smile playing across her lips. Taking the water skin as it was offered she only drank a small amount before passing it back, far more intrigued when it came to his identity rather than what formalities it had to offer. It wasn't that she didn't appreciate them, but she had always been far more straightforward, forgoing anything of the sort. Still, his remark on the misuse of honorifics earned a quiet laugh. "I would much rather be referred to as Keira. Nothing more is necessary." Titles of that sort were something she had always been uncomfortable with. One's supposed power meant little, after all, if they were unable to call upon it when it was required. Anyone could put on a show, but the true measure of ability came in combat.

The subtle but still present flirting that had been interjected only served to further her amusement. It seemed that no matter what sort of company she kept, if they happened to be male such a thing was bound to transpire eventually. It was only a matter of where and when. Looks were something she didn't bother to put much stock into, and she never so much as attempted to captivate another with her physical appearance. That others still insisted on commenting was something entirely lost on her. Superficiality meant nothing, in the grand scheme of things, and even less to her. In a galaxy where one had to fight for their next breath, looks were worthless. But she would humor him, in her own way. "Believe me, if I was here to kill you, you'd already be dead." No one had mentioned that her own way tended to be rather unorthodox, to put it lightly.

[member="Lorraei"]

A strange sensation washed across Lorraei's brow as Keira reached out to touch his aura. It had been several years since anyone had reason to do so and the impression was wholly different than he recalled. When the Jedi Order had taken him in he had been examined by half a dozen different masters, but they had all seemed so similar. Not unlike a firm handshake, solid and tangible as each master picked their way through his mind. Analyzing him, studying his connection to the Force. Keira's was so different, soft somehow as though a cool hand was placed on your forehead whilst lost in a fevered dream. A curiosity he would have to examine later. When there isn't a crazy strong, potential nightmare of a Dark Jedi at arm's length.

The two eyed one another for a time. Keira's hand drifted near the hilt at her waist. Ray's grip tightened on his knife. Finally the moment passed, her hand fell away and Lorraei similarly eased his death grip on his blade. Distantly some rational portion of his mind pointed out that his little throwing knive would never find it's mark. No one with so strong a connection to the Force would ever get hit by one of his knives.

The young woman smiled as she took the water skin. Half a smile though it was, Ray took the small display for a good omen and his grin turned more confident. Either through his connection to the Force or a trait inherited by his Zeltron blood, even he wasn't certain which, Ray was sure beyond any doubt he had amused the woman. His glib tongue got him into more trouble than it ever got him out of so it couldn't have been something he had said. She's laughing at the knife. Got to be. He gave something of a shrug as she passed the water skin back. "Alright, just Keira. It isn't something I'm accustomed to but, for you I will try to leave off the honorific."

It seemed her smile deepened. Her enjoyment certainly did. What was amusing her was beyond him, he had nothing to base her reaction on. His smile wavered as she absent mindedly pointed out how easily she could dispatch of him were the desire present. It was a sobering reminder of how outclassed he was in such confrontations. He swallowed against the knot of fear in his throat. "Duely noted my lady... uhh, Keira I mean."

With exaggerated slowness, Ray tucked his knife into the top of his sash. His hand slipped between the folds of his robe and withdrew a small Alusteel cigarette case. Tapping a release on the side the case popped open, and the desert fox drew out a Cæmel Dragons Cigarette. He set the cigarette in his lip briefly and held out the open case in offering.

"So Keira, your not my buyer and your not here to kill me. Which I appreciate, mind you. What exactly are you doing walking out here? Most times I would add something like, 'all alone' or 'it isn't safe' or something equally chivalrous but I realise how silly that would be given what you are." He gestured toward her sabre absently.

[member="Keira Ticon"]

What I am. That was something Keira had never considered beyond a few vague thoughts, but even those had been years ago. There were a few words that had been applied to her over the years, but powerful was never a moniker she had actively taken as her own. A certain ability was well within her grasp, but it wasn't something exorbitantly immense. Sure, in the past she had taken life before, but not without good reason in her mind. That he was given pause simply because of one glimpse at her aura and that offhanded comment was an entirely alien thing. Never in her life had someone ever been truly fearful of her. After all, she liked to think herself possessed of at least a marginally rational mind. It extended well past the realm of killing another being needlessly. No lives would be ended today, if she could help it.

Her head shook in dissent as she took a cigarette, placing it between her lips. Unlike his own her demeanor was casual, her actions mirroring the same air of relative carelessness. "You don't have to be afraid of me." That statement was spoken with the same tone as the one that had set him on edge. "It seems rather pointless to be, in my mind. I'm not going to hurt you, or even so much as make an attempt. I might be dark, and I might hold some measure of strength as my own, but I'm not someone you need to worry about." Briefly she paused. "Something tells me your last experience with someone like me was rather unpleasant. I'm not as volatile as those Sith you may have encountered. Unlike them, I have some measure of self-control that I like to think I'm capable of exercising." Unstable she was, but not that much so.

Rummaging in a pocket she palmed her own lighter, flicking the switch until the flame caught, raising it to the tip of her cigarette, it igniting with a quiet sizzle. The smell of acrid smoke soon tainted the air, and she inhaled as she pocketed the small silver object, taking the cigarette between index and middle finger as she exhaled a grey cloud from the corner of her mouth. It wasn't one of the best habits she had developed over the years, but it had manifested all the same. Some of the fault could be directed towards the environment in which she'd grown up. The criminal underworld wasn't exactly the best place in which to learn and instill basic morals. But the rest of the explanation had a far darker side, and one she wouldn't, or rather refused to, delve into. Not without a very convincing argument to the contrary.

One shoulder lifted in a shrug at his final inquiry. There wasn't one word that would suffice and put to rest all of his thoughts in one instant. "I couldn't really tell you that myself. I've been at a loss for anything exactly relaxing to do lately. That's awfully difficult when every day has the possibility to be a fight for your life." In most cases, that wasn't an exaggeration in the least. Her life had always been a series of various battles and wars, each deciding her fate and whether she would ultimately walk away still in possession of life and limb. Sometimes she was lucky to have the former by the end of the day. Other times she rarely had even that. "I suppose I could say that I sensed you and decided to investigate. It's not often that one just happens to find a Force sensitive in the middle of nowhere on a planet like this. and certainly not one unaffiliated with any Order." Another shrug. "Or you could just say I was bored."

[member="Lorraei"]

Lorraei smiled around his cigarette as he closed the little case and returned it to the folds of his robe. When his hand came out once more there was a small lighter palmed in it. "That would be were your mistaken Keira. I have not had any dealings with Sith. I avoid them on principle. That's not to say I have not seen darkness, it exists along side many that I interact with. My concern isn't how stained your soul is or is not, it's the power you command. I have seen Lady Kritivaas and yes she holds a darkness in her heart but her power is a spark when held before the inferno you hold in check."

Ray paused to light his cigarette. His stance shifted so that his body blocked the worst of the breeze. After a third flick the flame held long enough for him to cultivate a small cloud of smoke around his face. His eyes stayed on the Dark Jedi, drinking in her appearance and her seeming carefree mannerisms. His mind wondered for an instant, such lovely pale skin. He abolished the thought as quickly as it had come. Letting his Zeltron half speak would only cause him trouble. Stay focused. Dark with a capital D, remember. His smile turned to a fool's grin as he laughed, "If you want relaxation you should get yourself one of these AT-360s. These things cut and run better then most. Deprives people of the ability to start a fight when your already gone."

Lorraei tucked his lighter away and took a long drag from his cigarette. The ember glowed merrily as tobacco burned to ash and smoke. His smile had faded, not for nerves but in concentration. "You sensed me? Out here in the middle of nothing, you took notice of my little signature?"

[member="Keira Ticon"]

That he seemed to be surprised, to some degree, of her noting his presence only meant that he hadn't been given ample time himself to exercise his own ability. Force Sense was among the most basic of abilities that most sensitives learned, and to most it came naturally. Perhaps he was still growing into the idea, or had otherwise subconsciously suppressed his own talents over the years. Most would have noted the approach of another in command of the same energy field within seconds, but upon her arrival it had appeared that he was unaware of her exact location before she rather purposefully revealed herself. That could have been due to a lack of paying attention as much as a relative ignorance as to what his own sixth sense was attempting to communicate. Such a thing wouldn't be difficult to remedy.

For her own part it had been difficult to miss him. Not because Keira had been actively searching for anything out of the ordinary, but because he'd been nearly impossible to miss. After years spent not exactly training the ability but rather exercising it in live scenarios, she was the sort to take notice of most every detail that encompassed another's signature when given ample time to do so. One's aura through the Force told just as much about them as a face-to-face conversation would, and perhaps even more. The ethereal had a tendency to reveal things about individuals that they didn't otherwise wish to be told, whether they were aware of such or not. It afforded a glimpse into another sentient that wouldn't otherwise be possible. So was the nature of the Force.

"It was rather difficult not to. Not because I was looking for you, but because you're sensitive, just like me. It's comparable to a sixth sense, and in some situations an early warning system. It's not because I chose to sense you, and it's not because I was trying to avoid doing so. What I'm trying to say is, once you grow into your ability, the choice really isn't yours to make. I won't go so far as to say our meeting was the will of the Force, because I've never put much stock into fate or destiny. As I said, I just decided to follow up on what I felt for once." That was a rather long-winded way of going about saying that the skill was instinctual and subconscious rather than something she had triggered manually. But it helped to get the point across to some degree, and that had been the intention.

The cigarette returned to the corner of her mouth. "I think I would get bored, trying to avoid conflict. That isn't to say I disrespect people who do, but someone like me...it's as natural a place to be as any." Combat was where she thrived, where she felt, inexplicably, at ease. Where others would be on edge when it came to any sort of fight she was quiet and focused. "Besides, when it comes to my current place of residence I don't have much of a choice either way. To put it plainly, most times you either fight or you die. And since I'm rather fond of continuing to live, I've learned to adjust to it." If that didn't make her sound unbalanced and mixed up, than she wasn't sure what else would. Then again, she had never claimed to be the most stable of individuals when it came to any plane.

No comment was made in regards to his remark on her power. His opinion when it came to that didn't seem to show any signs of wavering, and so she would let it be. Instead she deigned to ask the question that would ultimately hold a bearing in deciding his own future. "How would you like to learn to control your own talents?"

[member="Lorraei"]

Lorraei exhaled a long trail of smoke, his expression remained carefully neutral. Her explanation of how and why she had found him was, at best, confusing to him. His own abilities had always been something he had needed to put effort into. With the rare exception of understanding how those around him felt, tense or relaxed or other small indicators, Ray had always needed to reach deeper into his own strength to achieve any display of power. His brief training with the Jedi order had been more lectures than training, often reprimanded for his lack of focus or unorthodox behavior. He had been far to busy experiencing life, or more accurately, experiencing drugs, bars, and loose company.

He flashed a quick grin, "I'll take a weekend at a beach resort over a war zone every time personally. Free diving with a fishing spear is plenty exciting and nothing tries to kill you for it. Well, nothing sentient at any rate."

Lorraei's grin died away, his features turned soft, almost remorseful. How anyone could live in such conflict was beyond him. Survival was one thing, defending your livelihood, your home or family was commonplace on Tatooine. The threat of raiders was ever present for the nomadic people he had been born to, but to live a life where combat was your only option was... cruel. When he spoke his voice was listless, barren of the warmth and exuberance it naturally held. "You should find a new home Keira."

He took another long drag from his cigarette, exhaling it in a thick cloud. Her last question caught him off guard and he blinked blankly for several seconds, "What?" He asked dumbfounded. "You mean like you train me?"

[member="Keira Ticon"]

A quiet, wry chuckle escaped her lips, and for a time Keira did nothing more than stand there and silently smoke her cigarette, the humor she expressed less than amusing. That one simple statement about finding a new home had the capacity to silence her so completely surprised even her. Never had anyone expressed so much as an iota of concern for her well-being, and it was something she had difficulty processing for a moment. After all, they had just meant, and that he would make such an offhanded comment seemingly nonchalantly piqued her curiosity. When she spoke grey tendrils of smoke twisted their way from between her lips, not expelled so much as leisurely allowed to escape. "A new home. It's not quite that easy." Not by a long shot. Personal freedom was allowed her to a point, but at the end of the day she wasn't exactly free.

It wasn't as if she didn't want to find a way out, but she was simply exhausted. Exhausted of constantly fighting, of having to win her life from the hands of others at every turn just so she could return to some semblance of safety at the end of the day. It was something she had been doing for five years and then some, from the moment she left the Jedi up until that very moment. These were details he wouldn't exactly be privy to until a later date, when the two had formed something of a closer bond. "It's more complicated than choosing to. I'm sure if you dug a little deeper here," She tapped the side of her head with a finger, "You'd find something. But there are some monsters waiting there to bite that neither of us want to experience." That was a threat and an entreaty to do just that wrapped up in one, but hopefully he wouldn't allow his curiosity to get the best of him this time.

The number of scars that covered her body were a testament to the life she led, the one that sprawled across her jaw only a minute glimpse. His surprise at her offer was vaguely amusing, though the smile she flashed was a touch more friendly than those she had worn previously. "If you'd like. I'm not the sort to force someone into things. Unlike the Sith, I won't coerce you with promises of power. And contrary to the Jedi, I won't offer lifelong peace and tranquility. But I can promise you'll have someone to talk to and perhaps trust in. Not a place to come home to, at the end of the day, but even that might change soon. A different sort of bond. Then again, you'll find I'm not the average teacher either." Or much of one at all.

Contrary to what her relaxed demeanor demonstrated, she wasn't quite so certain of all she was saying. Self-doubt had always plagued her to some degree, causing her to second-guess most every action at varying levels. It was something that had been present for what felt like ages but had really only been a few years at best. Outwardly she was the epitome of carefree, but internally it was another matter. Once again something else he would likely discover in time, should they become close in some manner. As much as she desired company other than her own she was cautious of letting another in. That someone considered her suitable to teach them much of anything was unfathomable by itself, given all that she carried inside herself.

[member="Lorraei"]

He offered up a small smile, heart ache written plainly on his dark features. It seemed it was his turn to stun her to silence and all he had to do was show a little compassion. It was clearly a painful topic for her, one she wished to avoid speaking of, so Lorraei let it lie and didn't press her on the subject any further. Whatever it was that passed as a home life for her was complicated, or so he could only assume. If or when she wanted to expand on the matter she would, nothing he could say would help here and now.

The Force is meant to be in balance, light and dark side by side. Coexisting, countering one another at all times. How can you know peace if there is no suffering? And if her scares were any indication, Keira knew suffering far too well. The light in him cried out for her, steal her from this darkness. Show her healing and compassion that she might know peace, yet he had no way to help. The darkness in him screamed as well, to further her misery would not be so difficult, draw her in, make her trust. Break her spirit. No, not so difficult, only time consuming. Yet he had no reason to harm her and he refused to entertain that darkness by dwelling on the thought. "No thank you Keira. I have looked deeply enough for one day, I should think. I'll keep what sanity I have if it's all the same to you."

As he listened to her explanation of why she might train him, his smile relaxed into something more natural. Not yet it's carefree jovial manner but, no longer was it burdened by pain or worry. "Your taking my best lines here Keira. Conversation and confidence are my best products, or at least my best sellers."

Ray took a drag of his cigarette, before holding it out in front of him to examine it. Nearly half gone as he exhaled and set the cigarette in his lips again. "I'm not one to turn away company and conversation. Besides, I would be dead already if that was the goal, right? How about a trade? Your offering something, a bond, a confidante, and a mentor of sorts. It only seems fair I offer something in return."

He gestured toward his feet at the AT-360 upon which they stood, "So long as you hold true to your word Keira, not to coerce me into a darkness I do not invite onto myself, and to offer no falsehoods of peace or great power, my home is yours. When you need rest, or time to heal, I will come. If you need to escape a world, call and I will come. This ship can be a sanctuary if you let it Keira."

Ray took a slow drag from his cigarette, letting Keira process exactly what he had said, "Sound like a fair trade to you?"

[member="Keira Ticon"]

Home. That was a word Keira hadn't used in association with herself in years. Sanctuary had always been where she chanced to lay her head that night, with the Dragon Palace Casino on Antecedent coming the closest to a real home she'd had since her time spent among the Jedi. The term had always had something of a foreign meaning in her mind, something applicable to the lives of strangers rather than herself. Besides, the word had hundreds of definitions depending on the individual you were affiliating yourself with at the time. To some it was a permanent place of residence, an edifice that would remain throughout the test of time. To others it was an always changing factor, something that shifted with the planet they happened to find themselves on. To her it had always been the nearest safe place, where she was able to find a moment of respite. But now it seemed she had something more.

The comment made in regards to his own sanity elicited a quiet chuckle, and she took another drag. "An old mentor of mine once said that sanity is a next to useless thing. Some days it seems like he was right." Never had she exactly admitted such a fact out loud. Not around another, at least. The relative stability of her mental state, or rather lack thereof, was something she had always been acutely aware of. It was the product of too much time spent in battle and not enough in general peace. To put it plainly, she had never been given the chance to live in a proper, well-rounded environment. Her preferred company had always been those considered less than savory by the common society, and to say they had had an influence on her would be an understatement. Well, that and The Primeval. They had definitely been the defining factor.

"It sounds like a fair trade, yeah." A slight smile, meant to perhaps ease the tension. "You might find yourself on the wrong side of more battlefields than you'd like, with that offer. I tend to be rather good at picking the wrong fights." That had begun with her decision to spar with a Gen'Dai in the Ravens' Fight Club all those years ago, and had culminated most recently when she had clashed with a Sith Lord prior to her unwilling admittance into The Primeval. Whether he desired it or not, live combat experience would certainly be something he would obtain after a short time spent at her side. It often didn't take long for trouble to find her, or vice versa. She had tended to be a sort of magnet for danger ever since she'd decided to affiliate herself with the criminal underworld.

Exhaling another cloud of smoke, she watched with vague interest as it dissipated in the gentle breeze. It seemed as if the both of them had said all there was to vocalize when it came to the agreement that had been reached. Now the silence that hung between them was a fraction more relaxed, with the two assured that each other's intentions weren't anything entirely volatile or dangerous. An offer had been extended and accepted in short order, a deal of sorts cemented. There wasn't anything left to finalize, except perhaps the tales that had been left unfinished or unspoken. But that would come during another time, in another place. There was, however, one final question... "Where would you like to start?"

[member="Lorraei"]

Ray loosed a dry chuckle, with it a plum of smoke. Now there was a concept, sanity is useless. Chaos is all that matters. The only logic he could find in such a statement was from something else Keira had said. She lived in a world where combat and blood shed were your only options. In such an existence sanity would only prove a hindrance, something that would hold you back. That moment of sanity, that pause as you consider exactly what you were about to do, was an eternity on the battlefield. Plenty of time for some other half mad combatant to strike you down. All he could do was smile half heartedly and be thankful she said old mentor, not present. "I can sympathize to some extent. Those who don't have it would find it useless I imagine. Yet consider this; without a measure of sanity nothing would ever get accomplished in this vast galaxy of ours. Then again, I'm sure the person that thought up the first hyper drive was considered insane, but that verges on the duality of man. Psychology and sociology that I won't go into. It's boring."

He waved a hand, dismissing that particular topic. An honest smile lite his caramel features. He hadn't thought she would except his offer of asylum. A laugh left him, bubbling with mirth. "Oh I don't doubt you'll drag me into something unpleasant lady Keira. Ugh... Keira. Just as long as you remember I'm better at running from the wrong fight as opposed to actually fighting it. I'll do what I can to pull you out of the fire, alright pateesa."

He enjoyed the moment of calm that passed between the unlikely pair. Curiosity plagued his mind, or perhaps a touch of the masochistic tendencies that caused him to cling to the dark individuals he so often interacted with. His mind reached out once more, his senses touching the edges of her aura. The beautiful, bruised strength that the Dark Jedi held at bay. For a long moment he lost himself in the sensation of that terrible majesty. Having felt it once he was ready for the indescribable immensity of her power. He stood, unflinching, gazing into air. Seemingly lost in thought. It changed suddenly as Keira brought her attention back to the desert Companion. He stepped away involuntarily and pushed her aura away with a gasp. It took a second before Ray could remember what her last question was, "I... have no idea to be honest. I wouldn't exactly call myself well versed in anything. I know how to fool the weak minded, beyond that... well, I don't know much, never mind where to start."

[member="Keira Ticon"]

"It's not about knowing anything, it's about wanting to learn. No one has to know much of anything to win a fight or kill somebody else." A fact Keira herself had more than proven in her lifetime. All it took was quick wit and a few lucky, underhanded moves to finish things. The rest of it was next to meaningless in her eyes, and as such she wouldn't waste much time deliberating over that facet of things. "Being well-versed means nothing. You'll find that a few tricks will keep you alive far longer than mastery of any particular skill." For her own part she had focused entirely on honing her skills in both lightsaber combat and telekinesis, devoting little time to other areas of study. It had served her well this far, and she saw no reason why it shouldn't continue to do so.

Her head tilted slightly to one side in some semblance of curiosity, that same self-assured smile still quirking on her lips. "I never claimed to be entirely without sanity, but then I suppose you never explicitly stated such a thing either. All I'll say is that after long enough you learn when to detach yourself so you don't think about things later. Not that I would say I regret anything I've done in the past. The lives that I've taken and planets razed aren't of any concern to me. Survival is what's important. Something more people have to learn." Of course, nothing said he had to agree with all she had to say. That didn't mean she would be changing her thoughts anytime soon, or at all.

Despite all that he said about preferring to avoid combat she knew the time would come for him to learn to fight, and for far more than simple self-defense. If he was going to accompany her and learn anything worthwhile, he would have to be able to hold his own against another for some amount of time. She wasn't entirely too fond of the idea of their lessons progressing entirely in times of peace such as this. When it came to serenity she was nigh the opposite. Chaos was something to be welcomed, not avoided, and any clashes along the way only made one stronger. A mindset he would perhaps grow into with time. If not, well, they would have to make do.

By this time she was familiar enough with his presence that she noted when he touched on her aura once more. No comment was made in regards to his seemingly insatiable curiosity, and she observed his reaction impassively, with the same sort of enthusiasm one would offer while watching paint dry. What apparent masochistic tendencies he briefly exhibited were of a vague sort of interest, and she wasn't quite sure how to process that facet of his personality. It was true that she perhaps demonstrated some of those same traits, though in a manner that differed from his outright blatancy. The smile on her lips faded ever so slightly, until it was only just visible at the corners of her mouth. "Do I frighten you?"

[member="Lorraei"]

Ray flashed a quick grin, "Oh I want to learn pateesa. I've been through enough universities to attest to that. If you show me, I'll follow along."

He paused, drawing on his cigarette once more. For a moment he pondered over the decision he had just made. The Jedi before him, stained in bloodshed and pain as she was, was offering him something he was hard pressed to find anywhere else. This woman, a master of her art, was willing to impress upon him a variety of skills and abilities. One's that not only would deepen his connection to the Force but would likely save his life at some point in the near future. Most boggling of was her motivation, or what she claimed was her motivation. She wanted to teach because... she could. She wanted to teach him for the simple fact that she could. All the while she held no judgement over his sins or unorthodox personality. Something that left Ray more then a little apprehensive.

Her last question was less then helpful toward easing his nerves. With a minor effort Lorraei schooled his expression into neutrality. "No Keira, you don't frighten me. One does not need to be bitten by a Nexu to show respect for it's jaws."

[member="Keira Ticon"]

"I disagree." Her gaze lingered on him briefly as she spoke those two words, cigarette falling from her fingers only to be stubbed out. A final exhale drove the remaining smoke from her lungs, and Keira allowed it to dissipate completely from the otherwise clear night air before she continued. "I have no doubt that you likely take issue with that opinion." After all, it was often thought wiser to fear one who appeared to be all-powerful rather than tempt fate and death both by provoking them. But that was exactly what she had done, and countless times over. The fact that she was still standing on her own two feet should have said more than enough about that, and it was where she left it, most times. But this warranted an explanation.

With some degree of effort she masked her own presence in the Force for a moment, appearing entirely as a non-sensitive. "If you weren't able to sense my standing through other means, I wouldn't appear quite so threatening." Once that last word left her lips she allowed the dark volatility that accompanied her wherever she went to be felt wholly and purely. "But once it becomes visible you're suddenly given pause. You begin to think that maybe it wouldn't be such a good idea to cross me just to see what happens. That maybe it would be in your best interest to leave well enough alone and continue on with your day rather than seeing just how quickly I'm able to retaliate. That maybe life is worth living for a bit longer."

Those words were all she left him, for a moment, granting him time to determine just what they meant to himself and how they might register in his own mind. It was one thing to hear what another had to say, and an entirely different one to glean a worthwhile meaning from them. Reaching down with her left hand she palmed her lightsaber and ignited it. The orange blade cut fluidly through empty air as she spun it, completing the demonstration by throwing the blade up and catching it in a reverse grip, the weapon finding itself extinguished and at her waist again in the next breath. Most would have considered it an unnecessary display, and perhaps to some degree it was. But it served its purpose.

"Of course, let's argue for a second that, while I'm still not Force sensitive, I was trained in lightsaber combat by someone who was. Through that I learned how to handle a blade just as well as any Jedi or Sith. Perhaps then you would still fear me, if just because you're fond of keeping your limbs. Anyone would, and wisely so at that." What light was left in the evening glinted in her amber eyes. "You would fear the unknown even if I hadn't shown you what I was able to accomplish with a blade, simply because of what I might do should I be given a reason or call to arms. Again, a wise choice, but sometimes an entirely unnecessary one." To her, at least. His thoughts were another matter.

This time her hands remained at her sides, devoid of any weaponry. "Now let's say that I'm just your average galactic citizen. Chances are you wouldn't fear me at all, because I don't appear threatening in the least." That was the beginning of it. "Most people fear the unknown because of what they've been shown before. You fear a nexu because you've seen how it tears apart its prey. You fear a criminal because you've witnessed another get murdered. You fear me because you've seen what others within my standing are capable of. Appearances mean nothing. Power can be falsified. Sometimes that nexu is entirely harmless, merely a kitten that could be easily slain. Sometimes appearances lie." And that was the end.

[member="Lorraei"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom