Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Echo Memoria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Residential Archfey
Come little children I’ll take ye away,
Into a land of enchantment.
Come little children, the time’s come to play,

Here in my garden of shadows.
-
Come Little Children, Erutan

wnUiD7L.jpg

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
Intent: To make a fun lil species, both incorporating folklore as well serving as an optional creature companion.
Image Credit:
Will o’ Wisp by Underworld Ascendant, edited by me in Pixlr
Canon: N/A
Permissions: N/A
Links:
X X X X

GENERAL INFORMATION
Name: Echo Memoria
Designation: Semi-sentient
Origins:
New Holstice
Average Lifespan: Seemingly immortal (though notably not invulnerable), the eldest of the Echo Memoria have been estimated to have been around for as long as 5000 years and likely much longer. However, the average lifespan has been reported to be approximately 500-700 years.
Estimated Population: Scattered
Description: At a glance, the Echo Memoria (or simply Echoes) appear as luminescent orbs of cool lights, often bobbing down a path.

PHYSICAL INFORMATION
Breathes: Type 1 and 2
Average Height of Adults: 8-10 cm
Average Length of Adults: 3-4 cm
Skin color: Luminescent blues, whites, and teals
Hair color: Luminescent blues, whites, and teals
Distinctions: While other sentients have assigned various aspects of the Echo Memoria (primarily voice and bobbing patterns) as more masculine or feminine, these creatures have little to no concept between male, female, and anything in between. These creatures are, on the surface, tiny balls of light and it’s only when one takes a far closer look that they can make out the sprite-like creature in the center. Said creature doesn’t have much going on in terms of detail, though whether that’s due to the entity giving off too much light or if their solid form isn’t so solid is up for debate.
Races: While observations are still underway, there do not appear to be any distinct differences between groups of the Echos worthy of being classified as races.
Force Sensitivity: All

“There are three deaths. The first is when the body ceases to function.
The second is when the body is consigned to the grave. The third is
that moment, sometime in the future, when your name is spoken for the last time.”

David Eagleman, Sum: Forty Tales from the Afterlives

Strengths:
If You Could Change Your Fate: Possessing an innate affinity for precognition, the Echo Memoria in the wild tend to gather near where an event is set to take place, often creating a path for others to follow.
In Memorium: Sometimes rumored to be the manifestations of the spirits of the dead, many have claimed that an Echo holds to its name, serving as an echo of the presence of an individual who’s passed. This sensation is primarily noted by those sensitive in the Force, with some sects keeping Echoes as a means of mourning their lost, similar to
Memory Moths.
Rubber Duck Debugging: While unable to respond via physical speech, the Echoes are still listening. They’re very good for listening to explanations and producing a feeling when they detect a problem area, especially when the topic at hand kicks in with their precognition.

Weaknesses:
Poor Omen, Poor Reputation: Often considered to be an omen of doom, many believe to follow the Echoes would be to invite death and destruction. While that is often more a side effect than an intention, the Echoes’ reputation has been forever solidified as a threat among the general public.
Conceal, Don’t Feel: While able to see into the future, the Echoes themselves are nigh-helpless to affect it. Their ability (or lack thereof) to communicate makes their warnings hard to decipher and they themselves are unable to affect the physical world. At the very most, they’re capable of producing small amounts of heat or cold, but even then, it’s not much.
Overexposure: While they appear to be entities made of light, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. If exposed to too much bright light, the Echo Memoria have been seen to struggle maintaining their individual form.

CULTURE
Diet: Science suggests these creatures feast on light, primarily moonlight. However, similar to their at least spiritual cousins the Wisties, many believe they feed on emotions. Unlike the Wisties, though, it’s far from laughter. While some theorize that Echoes feed on the sensation of change, the call to adventure, it’s far more common to associate them with feeding on feelings of melancholy and mourning.
Communication: While no one has made an official statement on their methods of communication, the general consensus is that it’s an odd combination of telepathy, body movement, and a hive mind mentality. When communicating with those outside of their own kind, they’re limited to a far weaker form of telepathy, conveying moods and feelings more so than actual words.
Technology level: The Echo Memoria have no need for technology, nor have they much of a concept of how to use it.
Religion/Beliefs: While Echoes have no belief system that we’re aware of, they do play a prominent figure in others, serving as both a guide and an omen.
General behavior: The Echoes are an inherently curious sort, bobbing along enthusiastically to bear witness to events that have struck their fancy. They seem keen to share their discoveries, too, often leading sentients down paths that’d otherwise be ignored or forgotten. While many possess a penchant for mischief, only a few have a disposition for the outright malicious. That being said, Echoes often do not have a strong grasp on the survivability or fragility of sentients, meaning more often than not they’ve lead individuals down paths of trials and doom.

If there are noises in the night,
A frightening shadow, flickering light,
Then I surrender unto sleep,
Where clouds of dream give second sight,
What dreams may come, both dark and deep,
Of flying wings and soaring leap

As I surrender unto sleep.
-
Sleep, Eric Whitacre

HISTORICAL INFORMATION
While it is possible and often thought that the Echo Memoria are a distant relative to the
Wistie, no research has come out to officially say so. They came into the world like a daydream, gentle, meandering, and by the time the waking world was aware of their presence they were already ancient. or at least appeared as such. And just as they came into the world like a dream, they continued to exist as such, floating in and out of awareness of the modern world. Their curiosity lead them off-world, stowing away on ships of travelers and meandering throughout the galaxy. And thus began the start of their mysterious reputation, formed more from rumor than actuality.

Last edited:
Collector Collector

Sorry for that little wait but I'll be your judge for this submission! I am in training, so this will need secondary approval.

This is a lovely submission and I adore the Echo Memoria! This looks just about perfect, though the only thing I feel need to mention is to link OtherSide Entertainment as the owner of the image in addition to the other image source, as the flickr account left a bit to be desired information-wise.

Saket Keane Saket Keane | Collector Collector

This is lovely - Nice work. The only thing we need to do is add a link for credit to the Authors of the three poetic excerpts that have been included. You have them named, which is almost there, we just need a link.

Example:
Come little children I’ll take ye away,​
Into a land of enchantment.​
Come little children, the time’s come to play,​
Here in my garden of shadows.​
“There are three deaths. The first is when the body ceases to function.​
The second is when the body is consigned to the grave. The third is​
that moment, sometime in the future, when your name is spoken for the last time.”​
If there are noises in the night,​
A frightening shadow, flickering light,​
Then I surrender unto sleep,​
Where clouds of dream give second sight,​
What dreams may come, both dark and deep,​
Of flying wings and soaring leap​
As I surrender unto sleep.​

Tag me when this is updated and I'll get you on your way. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom