Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dueling

Jacob Remmington

In the cover of night
Killing and maiming is usually predetermined by the writers, or can happen on a whim in the thread. However, a person's character being killed or maimed must always he their decision. Other than that, basic beat downs are judged by the writer skill and tha of their characters. For instance, you won't see an apprentice beating a master level anytime soon.

EDIT: Kark, sniped by Rasu.

Okay, but those who are better writers are more likely to win, but masters will beat apprentices because it's a "rule"? (It's not allowed for apprentices to write about how they are besting a master character.)

no an apprentice or knight can beat a master but it is unlikely. Kaine beat Karin who was a master through skill and being her opposite. Jacen Cavill beat Radac because he got in close to the master and beat him down. It can be done, it just depends on who the writers are and who the characters are. Also things like effort are factored in, if your an apprentice saying your throwing master tier powers. No one pays attention because then you wouldn't and shouldn't be an apprentice.

Jacob Remmington

In the cover of night
No. If a writer is more experienced in an equal or sometimes unequal duel, it is possible they might win. Take @[member="Xander Carrick"] for example, took on a knight and won. However, it is usually unlikely. For example, you wouldn't see a Jedi youngling going toe to toe with a Sith master and winning. They don't have the experience or power to do so.

Dueling 101, by Fabula Cavataio
Rules:
- The only actual "rule" of dueling is no godmoding. Alna Merrill posted an absolutely fabulous guide on godmoding and how to avoid it here. Generally, don't try to force your attacks on other players and don't act like some invincible war-god, and you should be fine.
- A secondary rule that applies to dueling as much as every other form of RP is that if you're not having fun, stop doing it.

Tips & Tricks:
- Try to leave your posts open-ended. An attack phrased "Fabula smashed Ashin in the face with the hilt of her lightsaber, then delivered a massive kick to her stomach, sending her flying into a wall" could and should be changed to more passive descriptors. In this scenario, Ashin would be entirely within her rights to ask me to edit. Instead, I could have written "Fabula struck quickly at Ashin's face with the hilt of her lightsaber, then spun into a powerful kick aimed at her stomach."
- Duel someone who you trust, and talk to them about it. A lot. I've had a PM chain/Skype conversation going for every single duel I've had on this site, and I've never had any persistent problems with people godmoding at me.
- Take some hits, dammit! People like feeling like their characters have a good grasp on things. This is where unarmed combat comes in handy for lightsaber wielders, and collateral damage is useful for blaster marksmen. Taking some damage is a win/win. It lets your opponent feel powerful for hurting you, and it lets you feel like a baller for muscling through it. I mean, no one wants to get punched through a wall by Fabula, but if you come walking out of that wreckage and make a snarky comment about it? That makes you feel and look awesome.

People Who Are Good At It:
- Ashin Varanin is probably the premier duelist on the site.
- Jacen Cavill, when he's around, is also spectacular.
- If you want to get your butt royally kicked, Sarge Potteiger is the way to go.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
Hi. I'm a Sith Master. I got permakilled by two teenage girls, one of whom was an Apprentice at the time. And OOC, I was totally cool with it. Basically, if you step up to duel, you better be willing to lose, no matter how much more powerful your character is.

Jacob Remmington said:
No. If a writer is more experienced in an equal or sometimes unequal duel, it is possible they might win. Take @Xander Carrick for example, took on a knight and won. However, it is usually unlikely. For example, you wouldn't see a Jedi youngling going toe to toe with a Sith master and winning. They don't have the experience or power to do so.
I took on a Knight and won in a duel, Then I fought a Sith Knight, a Sith apprentice, won, and then was about to Face another Sith knight all in the same thread. Currently I am now taking on a 4 person everyman for himself duel and won against an apprentice.

Yes it is possible to beat a person in a higher rank than youself, but ether that means that the writer of the weaker person is really good, meta gaming, or the higher person is not doing good, or for story purposes. It matters on the situation. But in all three of my fights it is them trying their best and wanting to actually kill me. Really all that I can say is get into a lot of duels and you will learn fast how to survive, or you will die. (permitted that you want your character to die)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom