Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Down to Earth

56d6594285ce2a9a6bc58f23ef236651.jpg

Tag: Corazona von Ascania Corazona von Ascania
Z9U36lL.png

Crack!

A fizzy hiss came from the aluminum can in Ko’s hand. Dropping his reusable bendy straw inside of it before sipping the refreshing ice tea inside. As he drank, his other hand fell to his hip as he stood out over a rather neglected temple garden. Given the relatively small numbers of the NJO compared to other periods in galactic history there weren't as many Jedi botanists these days. Without taking into account the strife that was gripping the Galaxy.

So it has definitely seen better days. The soil was dry and cracking slightly and was covered in overgrown weeds. With him was a small wheeled cart. Full of tools and fresh pants to introduce to this tiny plant enclave within the urban planet. Every garden on this planet was like a little lush island among a sea of concrete and smog. Where instead of fish, it was air speeders and ships that swam through the city skyline. The most odd addition to the stuff in the cart was a small statue of some impish looking humanoid with a tall conical hat. Something Ko thought would be a fun little addition to hide within the garden.

Although it was still day out, the sky had a warm orange-ish glow through the polluted haze of the planet. Bathing the temple in a somewhat constant twilight this time of year. None of this Ko would really take in anymore.

Most interesting to the Kel Dor padawan however was who had accompanied him today. He turned his noticeably imperfect gaze to Cora. His goggles are not quite falling on her. Ko was a little surprised. Considering that this was her idea. Never quite taking her for the kind of woman to have a green thumb. But more importantly he was thankful she was back and safe now. After news of what happened to her, Shan reached him while he was recovering from the loss of his eyes. It had filled him with a great deal of misguided guilt for not being at Thule with many of his comrades and friends. So he was pretty shocked to learn that she was on her home world along with him during the Mandalorian’s senseless raid on the planet and its people.

Looks like we got a good amount of work to do here today.” Ko said with a slightly humored tone from the irony of his words. But he could tell that there was plenty to do still. Observing the sorry state of the small garden through The Force. The Kel Dor then grabbed another can of tea from his utility belt to offer to Cora. “Want one? Not really as good as the stuff I make myself. But it gets the job done I think.”

Cora didn't get the joke.

In contrast to Ko's practical clothing, the blonde was garbed in an apron, a pair of bright gardening gloves, boots, and a dramatically floppy sun hat.

"Thank you, Ko." She accepted the can with no hesitance, but still spent several moments regarding it with suspicion. At last, she pulled the tab back and drew the can closer to her nose.

"This is…tea? In a can? I did not know that such a thing could exist."

Incredulous and slightly aghast, Cora gave the liquid a hesitant sip. She gave a murmur of approval when it didn't sear her mouth from the inside out. "Wonders never cease."

The garden was messy, all depleted soil and overgrown with weeds. Cora had been surprised to learn that Ko had worked with the agricorps. Despite being in the same cohort, their paths hadn't crossed as much as she would have liked. Which was a shame, because Ko seemed rather easy to get along with from what she'd heard.

While the aristocrat had never toiled a day in a field, she did come from a farming community and enjoyed gardening. It kept her calm during her her recent adventures on both Ukatis and Thule.

"You brew your own?" Cora blinked, surprised. Ko didn't seem like the type to enjoy a hot cup of tea - a trait that was typically found among the Ukatian upper caste - but for all she knew, all Bothans Kel'dor did. "I'll have to join you for tea sometime, in that case."

She took another sip of the leaf-water. It lacked complexity, but it would do in a pinch. Cora turned back to their task at hand.

"What do you suggest we do first?"

Ko Vuto Ko Vuto

Last edited:

Z9U36lL.png
If Ko would, he’d probably comment on her choice of bright gloves. Thinking it would be unwise to wear them while messing around in the dirt. Although her choice to wear a nice large hat was smart he thought. He often wore such headgear back on Nubia to protect his lumpy bald head from the sun. But I am missing such articles of clothing now. Come to think of it, he probably should wear more large hats like that now. It’s not like they’d manage to obscure his vision anymore.

“You’re Welcome. Yeah, just some simple ice tea, nothing fancy. And nice hat too, a good choice seeing as there's isn't much shade.” It was big enough that even he could ‘see’ it. Even with the imposing skyline, the temple mainly stood out alone in its part of the city. So there wasn’t much protection from the sun where they were.

Hearing her question he raised a brow. Pulling his drink and straw from his mask some before nodding. “Yep, for a long while it was one of the few ways I could really enjoy some of what nature could provide.” He explained to her, despite his life as an outdoorsman he couldn’t fully appreciate many of the simple joys nature offered. Food, drink, fresh clean forest air. Tea was one of the ways he bridged that gap between himself and the natural world that was so hostile to a Kel Dor like him. He gave a wide smile under his mask at Cora’s suggestion of enjoying tea together some time. “That sounds like a wonderful idea. I’ll definitely have to share some of my brews with you in the future.” Ko was confident that he could impress her noble palate.

Then he brought his attention back to the garden. The Kel Dor hummed to himself as he thought for a moment. “Probably work on the soil first. Otherwise it’ll make the weeds much more difficult to deal with. Like ripping them out of clay.” Stepping over to the cart Ko grabbed a hoe. “I can start trying to dig it up and loosen it. If you want you can get some compost and water ready so we can help liven it up some.” He suggested, looking to divide up the work some so they could be efficient with their time.

"Thank you, Ko." Cora skimmed the brim of her hat with the fingers of her free hand while taking another sip of her canned tea. "I daresay that a drink like this would be most refreshing after working in the sun."

There was nothingwrong in indulging a little before that, of course.

As Ko explained the best way to go about caring for the decrepit little garden, Cora reached out and wrapped a hand around a long, dessicated stem. A quick yank and a grunt, and the weed snapped right in the middle. "Hm," Cora stared at the half of the weed that remained in her hand as if it had personally offended her.

"I suppose you are correct."

Cora's knowledge of farming was more big picture - soil conditions, seasonal forecasts and the like. She would, from now on, defer to Ko regarding actual plant care. Still, the mention of compost made her grimace as she hefted the bag from the cart to the ground.

"This goes directly in the soil, yes?"

Retrieving one of the watering cans, she paced over to the tap protruding from the garden wall.

"How have you been faring, Ko? It's been quite sometime since we've seen one another."

Ko Vuto Ko Vuto

Z9U36lL.png
Without really looking towards her, Ko observed Cora seemingly try to test if his idea was right or not. Hearing her shortly after suggest that he was correct made him laugh some. With the hoe in hand he stepped over to some of the dirt to begin breaking it up enough to work with. Sure he could just place his hand down and telekinetically rattle the dry soil with his earth shaping like a magic plow. But he didn’t think that was in the spirit of what they were trying to accomplish today.

He understood that this was supposed to largely be for a bit a fun, and skipping the work to get there would cheapen the process. But it was also very likely that Cora wasn’t aware of his capabilities to do all that. Hearing the posh noblewoman’s question Ko nodded. Glancing up to her he replied. “Yeah, see about adding a bit of moisture to the soil I’ve broken up to perhaps while mixing it. If there’s any worms here too, they might come.” That last part Ko wasn’t too sure of, since he didn’t know if there were any worms or similar bugs that could help the garden.

The Kel Dor listened to her question about how he’s been doing. It was something he’d wanted to ask her as well. He knew only enough that she’d been through quite a lot since he’s known her. Not enough to know the specifics however. But he respected his fellow padawan and didn’t want to pry into her personal matters.

Letting out a sigh he thought for a moment on how to answer her question. “You’re right, it has been a while. Well, I have a master to teach me now. So that’s been a big shake up for my journey to knighthood.” Ko explained some, wanting to share some good news first at least. “But since we last saw each other my eyes don’t quite work like they used to.” That was a bit of understatement considering that he no longer had eyes at all. Just scarred, melted ocular tissue behind his goggles. “That’s why I regrettably was absent from the mission to Thule. I was in recovery.” There was a tinge of guilt in Kel Dor’s voice over not being there with his friends. Especially considering Cora’s capture while he was stuck in a med bay.

Taking a few more harsh swings into the dry, hard soil. Although he didn't miss this kind of work. It offered a somewhat soothing sense of familiarity to him. “How have you been Cora… If you don’t mind me asking.” Ko finally asked.

Trudging over with a nearly-full watering can, Cora suppressed a shudder at the mention of worms. As much as she enjoyed tending to delicate plants, the creepy crawlies that lived in the soil were less her speed.

"Oh," She frowned, tilting the can over the loosened earth Ko had turned. Streams of water trickled from the head, softening the parched soil. "I'm glad to hear that you've gotten a Master. I didn't know that about your eyes - I'm sorry to hear that you were injured."

Out of all of the senses, she briefly wondered which would be the worst to lose.

His mention of Thule caused her to flinch, but Cora continued to move the watering can in time with Ko's movements. Hopefully, the added moisture would make things easier going forward.

"I'm…alright now, I suppose. Shan and I spent some time on Thule, but many of those who'd been captured weren't able to make it back."

A pang of guilt hit her in that moment, sinking deeply into her chest. Cora fell silent, but the ambient noise of water trickling and dirt being moved made for an oddly soothing white noise.

"What happened with your eyes, Ko?" From the context, she'd gathered that he'd been injured on a mission. "Ah, sorry. You don't have to answer."

Ko Vuto Ko Vuto

Z9U36lL.png
As Cora aided moisture to the ground, it helped Ko a great deal in breaking and loosening it up more. Their combined effort made things go a lot smoother. Otherwise her or him would just need to keep breaking away at the dry soil.

He could sense some of how she felt when she mentioned how she was captured with Shan Pavond Shan Pavond . That was another fellow padawan he felt he needed to check on as well. The two didn’t often see things in the same light. Ko’s grip on the hoe’s handle tightened as he swung it into the ground more. His mind shifted to Lily Decoria Lily Decoria as well, when she was captured. Just from his own relatively brief encounters he could only imagine the difficulty of being the hostages of Sith or Mandalorians. Both of whom had dished out their own forms of punishment onto Ko.

Recognizing that he was beginning to ruminate a little too deeply on those negative thoughts, Ko paused for a moment to let out a sigh and catch his breath. “I’m glad you’re back, Cora. I can’t imagine how the Nobles must’ve felt.” The Kel Dor said, thinking about how the Sword and Shield of the Jedi handled the disappearance of their respective students.

Hearing her own question about his eyes Ko looked over to her. “It’s okay, no need to regret your curiosity.” He replied softly through his mask.I was on Hetzal Prime, a massive agricultural hub in the Outer Rim. I was putting my expertise from the Service Corps to use there. I was about to return to Coruscant until there was a sudden outbreak of Drengir…” As he spoke he wondered if Cora knew what those were. “Um, they’re kinda like massive plant monsters, sentient and have a hive mind.” Ko wouldn’t know this, but in some ways his own fight mirrored Cora’s as well on Thule. They both fought vicious botanical opponents. “There was a Sith there as well, some kind of scientist who brought the Drengir there. She had some kind of Vong weapon and that’s what blinded me.”

That was a decent summary of what transpired without rambling about how he got poisoned, lost his cool and tapped into the darkness briefly. Something he blamed himself for even though he had no real control over himself at that point. Grabbing the hoe he took a few more good swings at the dirt for good measure. “Well, I think we’ve treated the soil well enough, I think the weeds should be much easier to remove now.” Ko said to the young noblewoman. As through to bring their attention to the present and not dwell on what they regretted in the past. Perhaps there was a bit of irony in the two of them working together to care for a garden after both being the victims of malicious plants. Surely there was an optimistic lesson in that, even if the the two Padawans didn't know it yet.

Last edited:
"Yes, they were…quite worried." Cora agreed, hesitance creeping into her tone as she searched for the proper way to word things. A tearful reunion with a Valery and Kahlil had lead to an emotional release that cemented her decision to remain on Coruscant and train as a Jedi.

Cora tilted the watering can back slightly to check the fluid levels. Half empty. That was good, she supposed. Ko would tell her to get more if it was needed. For now, she continued to douse the dry soil as the Kel'dor worked the earth and supplied her with an explanation regarding his lost vision.

"Plant monsters…" She shuddered. Having never seen a Drengir in person, Cora would have to rely on Ko's description and assume that they were appropriately terrifying. "I'm sorry that happened to you, Ko." She said earnestly. He seemed to be managing well, but she figured that it must have been appropriately intense when it happened, and in the weeks following. "Vong technology is frightening. Erm, let me know if there is anything that you need, yes?"

Cora wasn't sure what she could do, exactly, beyond being there for a friend.

At Ko's signal, Cora put down the watering can and took in the sight of the loosened dirt, now dark with moisture. Already things were looking a little more alive.

"I fought a tree-woman on Thule. A Neti, I believe. She quite tall, with hair like vines. A Sith sorcerer performed a dark ritual to revitalize the planet, and she drew strength from that, growing larger and stronger."

As she knelt in the soil, Cora frowned at the distant memory of A'Mia's massive form grappling her much smaller body. She'd been struck by the pommel of her opponent's hidden dagger, knocking her off kilter and throwing stars in her vision.

"I carved up her flank with my lightsaber, but that had healed by the time I saw her next."

There was a distinct note of disappointment in the blonde Padawan's voice, reinforced by how aggressively she pulled a weed from the earth, root and stem.

"Fortunately this garden is proving easier to tame."

She stared at the weed and smiled faintly in triumph before throwing a glance to Ko.

"With a little thought and care put in to it, of course."

Ko Vuto Ko Vuto

Z9U36lL.png
Hearing her ask if she’d let her know if he needed anything he glanced towards her. Offering a hidden, soft smile and nodding. “Of course Cora.” He said, believing that just being here, having the support of his fellow Jedi helped a lot. Ko got the impression that more often than not, people seemed to forget about his blindness. His goggles hid the wound and his ability to interact with the world around him could make him seem perfectly fine.

Ko listened to his fellow padawan open up some as well about their fight on Thule. Sharing how she fought a Neti, seemingly not too dissimilar to the Drengirs he encountered. He knew Neti were quite rare, centuries ago many thought they were extinct. One thing that caught his interest was the mention of how a Sith had supposedly 'revitalized' the planet. There was a measure of skepticism within Ko over the idea. Wondering what the cost of such a ritual was, and who came at its expense. One thing Ko had come to understand a good deal as a naturalist, in one way or another, life consumes life.

Even in the agricorps he had to be mindful of using abilities like Plant Surge. He couldn’t just use it freely without consequence, not without stressing the ecology to some degree. To subject a whole planet to that made Ko shudder to think about not just the power of the sorcerer Cora spoke of, but also the great cost such a feat likely required.

“I suppose our respective struggles weren’t too dissimilar after all. To face down such an opponent is a testament to your courage I think.” Ko said, offering some sort of silver lining to Cora’s words. Observing her begin to yoink out a weed from the ground with much greater success than last time, he would kneel down as well. Unlike her, he wasn't wearing any gloves. Mainly because it was hard to find any that fit his more unique, alien, clawed digits. His leathery skin would work well enough.

Hearing Cora’s tone regarding the garden over their previous encounters, Ko couldn’t help but let out a hearty bout of laughter. “Certainly Miss Cora, much less pesky for sure.” With that said Ko placed his palm against the dirt, sensing through the ground before digging into it some with his clawed hands before ripping out a rather deep weed. Using his Force Sight almost like a metal detector for what needed to be cleared out. Soon enough the two could begin planting the veggies and seeds they brought here.

"You think I'm courageous?"

Cora's brow furrowed, but there were equal parts appreciation and incredulousness in her tone. For a moment, she sat up and watched as Ko flattened his palm to the earth before using his clawed hands to dig beneath the soil and remove a weed. The Force at work, she imagined.

The Padawan shook her head as she worked another dried weed from the dirt. "Courageous or not, it was still a fight that I lost. Next time, I will be ready for her."

She supposed though, that having courage was a good thing as long as it was properly tempered. A distant memory caused her lips to tremble slightly with amusement.

"The first time I found myself in a real battle, well I…er, I became ill. And the first time I'd faced a Sith Lord, with Valery, too."

Cora recalled both instances where she'd lost her lunch, of which poor BB-610 BB-610 had been the recipient of. At the very least, she could've directed her emissions towards the enemy.

"I used to garden a lot while I was on Ukatis." One brightly gloved hand worked into the soil to grasp closer to the root of a particularly deep weed. "It brought me peace, and is how I discovered the ability to manipulate plant life."

Ko Vuto Ko Vuto

Z9U36lL.png
“Of course I do…”

Ko replied to her question simply. Sensing some what might be some doubt in his summation of her. “A balance is necessary I believe. You can be the most skillful individual, but without courage and resolve. The most talented fighter could still buckle under their fear.” Kel Dor explained, an individual could drill and condition their body, reflexes and mind for years. But it may all go out the window when push comes to shove and their body is filled with adrenalin. The reverse can also be true as well.

He listened carefully as Cora spoke about the first time she fought in a “real battle.” The idea of getting sick sounded unpleasant. Especially to him, considering that his mask wouldn’t really allow it to go anywhere… The mental image made Ko sudder and grimace. “I can’t really say I’ve been through that. Thankfully… Well I guess I got pretty nauseous back at Ryloth after getting violently dragged around a capital ship. That left my head spinning.” Ko confessed, knowing that it wasn’t really the same thing that Cora experienced.

As the two of them continued to thoroughly de-weed the ground he recalled the garden’s on Ukatis now that she mentioned it. Briefly getting to visit them during the Harvest Festival where he encountered a rather rotund Raycon. “I don’t tend to plant that much these days, although I do keep and care for a bonsai tree in my dorm. I’m glad it offered you some peace on Ukatis.” Ko replied as he pulled up a particularly long root from a weed. The force of it knocked a fair bit of wet dirt back on him. “Oh… Well I guess I should’ve seen that coming.” He said casually before patting some of the dirt off his robes with the back of his hand. “But yes, for me Plant Surge had a great deal of utility back in the Agricultural Corp. It could save a harvest in a pinch if the weather wasn't cooperative.”

Ko noticed something within the soil through The Force, pausing for a moment before digging into it some. “Hmm, what do we have here?… Ah!” Finally pulling it out between his thumb and index claws. It was a small lonely seed. “A mystery seed. I wonder what it could be.” The Kel Dor said curiously before scooting closer to their supply cart, grabbing an empty clay pot and watering can. Filling it up with some extra wet soil and placing the seed inside. Allowing himself to become distracted from their gardening.

“Take a guess at what it might be…” He said to Cora before pouring a bit of Force energy into the seed. Letting it rapidly sprout and grow, absorbing the water, nutrients, and carbon. Eventually it blossomed into a small flower, a golden False Sunflower. “Um… Is it a daisy?” Ko asked, knowing that it had the general shape of one, but not the color, which he couldn’t quite see.

Ko's words, thoughtful as they were, made her smile. Cora wondered if that was something he could see, or if his senses were fine enough to pick up the new trickles of levity in her Force presence. The mention of feeling ill after being dragged through a capital ship drew a quiet chuckle and a knowing look from her - they were kindred spirits, sort of.

She shifted on her knees as Ko found himself sprayed with dirt, suddenly mindful of how much force she was using to pull the weeds from the earth.

"Harvesting crops under tricky circumstances is a good use of plant surge. I've never attempted it on that type of scale." Cora's eyes rolled upward in thought. "I suppose balance is necessary, like you said. There is value in letting things take their time, but utility in helping when needed."

The mystery seed Ko plucked from the earth provided a nice little respite from digging in the dirt. It was one thing to encourage life to sprout from a seedling by herself, but it was another thing to observe the subtle shifts in the flow of the Force from the outside. From beneath the soil, a thin wisp of a stem grew quickly and flowered.

"Not quite a daisy." She murmured while inspecting the blossom. "A similar shape, but the petals on our new friend are yellow, and the core is darker, almost brown."

"Simply lovely." Cora declared with a note of finality.

"There was a place on Thule called the Garden of Lies. Nearly every plant there was dangerous in some way, though many looked docile. I admired it for its diversity - I'd love to do something like that here, a collection of rare species carefully cared for. Not just those that are potentially harmful, of course. It would provide a wonderful opportunity for Jedi to learn more about the native fauna we may encounter on our travels."

She cast a faint smile towards the cart, reaching for one of the sprouts.

"But we must start somewhere, yes?"

Ko Vuto Ko Vuto

Z9U36lL.png
The Kel Dor sensed a little bit of levity emanating from her. His senses hadn’t quite gotten equal to, or even surpassed how it was before losing his eyes. Hearing her slight chuckle at his remark earned a soft and hidden ‘smile’ from him. Also knowing that her instance of feeling ill compared to his own wasn't really on the same level. Ko’s was more so from motion sickness and concussion.

Ko found Cora’s assessment of the plant surges usefulness on a farm to be pretty accurate. It was generally better for things to play out naturally unless the crops were under threat of something. For Ko one of the most gut wrenching were the circumstances that were more financially and politically driven. To destroy crops so there could be some artificial scarcity. Nubia was ruled by a Hutt, and like many, they too had a ruthless business sense. Sometimes decreeing that harvests be destroyed to make a quick buck. Since they could make the same amount of credits for the cost of less shipping and earn a profit. Even compensating independent farms if they followed their example.

Those conditions sparked a bit of a rebellious fire within Ko, back when he was a more rowdy teenager compared to the more mild mannered young man he was now. Because was no way in hell he’d cull the crops he worked so hard to cultivate just to line the pockets of a greedy Hutt…

The Kel Dor pulled himself from the ruminations when Cora spoke about the new little flower that just sprouted. “Well at least I got the general shape down. Color isn’t really shown to me yet. It sounds nice though.” He said setting the potted flower down next to the cart, before listening intently to more of her time on Thule.

“The Garden of Lies?” Ko repeated to himself. “Not a bad idea at all I think and has practical merit too other than just being pretty.” He was a little bit surprised that she’d desire to recreate something she experienced on Thule. But it sounded like she wanted to expand on the idea, and make it better too. “I like the idea of using it as a learning tool for others.” Ko watched as she pulled the sprout from the cart. “I’m guessing some of the stuff you brought here are those kinds of plants? It would say now is as good a time as any to get started with your idea.”

His voice had an encouraging tone to it. Before more closely examining the other plants and seeds on the cart as well. They’d already made plenty of progress in treating the soil here and removing weeds that could compete with those they sought to cultivate here. Something for them to see the rewards of weeks and months down the line. If they timed things right. He wondered if Cora and him could set it up so that there was always at least one plant that was in full bloom at any given time as well. But that probably wasn’t in the cards for this garden right now, as it’d take a lot more forethought.

Last edited:
"You did." She agreed. "That's far better than I could have done with Force sight. I really have to focus just to be able to get a general sense of things. Is it difficult to keep up all the time?"

Most Jedi relied on Force sight while their vision was temporarily obscured by poor lighting or distance. Those who'd lost their natural sight, like Ko, had to learn to rely on it as a primary sense. She imagined that it would have been difficult to adapt at first, but gradually became second nature.

"It will be a lot of work, I'd figure. Tending to different plants with their different needs – we'd need some sort of sectioned biodome to be able to control the temperature and humidity." It wasn't entirely outside of the temple's reach, but they'd have to talk to the higher-ups to see what would be feasible.

"Oh, this one is a poola blossom. From Rodia." Cora held the little sprig aloft. "They're round little bioluminescent flowers. I think they're just lovely."

Placing the plant in its container down for a moment, Cora reached for a trowel and began to hollow out a nice spot. "I've also brought…some tragia seeds. They're fairly sturdy, but good for healing. How about you, Ko? Is there anything in particular you'd like to see grow here?"

Ko Vuto Ko Vuto

Z9U36lL.png
Ko thought for a moment about how to answer her question. “No not really, it’s starting to become second nature I would say. Although it’s not that refined yet, a lot of things can be pretty… “fuzzy” still.” As he spoke, he started to realize he’d never really explained how things ‘looked’ to him since he started to solely rely on Force Sight as one of his senses. “One thing that has been a little difficult is gauging someone’s expressions. Other than just through their voice and body language.” More nuanced details on someone’s face are harder to discern for Ko. “But the hardest part is that I can’t really read…” Needless to say, that was a pretty big blow to a bookish apprentice like himself.

“That’s a good point, a biodome or some kind of greenhouse would probably be required for some particularly niche plants. But like you mentioned, you wanted to cultivate plants here that a Jedi may be more likely to encounter on their journey.” He said before observing at the Poola Blossom. Trusting that it was as ‘lovely’ as Cora said it was. To him it kinda just looked like some vines with brussel sprouts growing out of it.

“Ooo, so it glows? Yeah I’m sure that would look great then. Does it have a warm light like a fire, or is it more fluorescent?” Ko asked, since he couldn’t really see the kind of glow that it had, but wanted to have a better idea of how it appeared to her. After Cora asked what Ko might want to see grown here he perked up and shifted over to the cart.

Picking up a small pot of dirt from it that had the tiniest little sprout of greenery inside of it. “Here’s what I wanted to bring, not a common sight for anyone in The Galaxy however. It’s from the small bonsai tree I keep in my dorm. A Kand tree I took with me from my home world.” When he was a child, his mentors there sought to give Ko some responsibilities and tasked him with looking over the diminutive tree. “There isn’t a lot of vegetation on Dorin, but Kand trees are the most common since they grow fruit and can be farmed.” The Kel Dor explained to Cora, his passion clearly evident in his voice. Happy to try and share some of his heritage not only with his fellow padawan but the order as a whole by getting to plant it here. “And don’t worry, it won’t be tiny like the one I care for.” Ko added, feeling like he needed to clarify that if Cora was unfamiliar with how bonsai trees worked.

Cora nodded along with Ko as he searched for the words to describe what it was like relying Force sight as a primary sense. The Force could allow you to extend your Ashla-given abilities beyond was natural - such as being able to visualize beyond barriers like walls and earth - but Ko outlined several drawbacks that she hadn't considered, reading being the most formative.

As they worked, Cora smiled and tilted her head in acknowledgment to Ko's observation about the biodome initiative. It would take plenty of time and work, but the pair of green-thumbed Jedi would enjoy the journey.

"Poola blossoms are somewhere in-between." She supplied. "At least to me. They have this nice purple-ish glow to them, but the ones that grow closer to water are more vibrant."

When Ko produced a bonsai clipping, Cora put down her trowel and peered closer into the pot. A kand tree - she'd never seen one, but it was clear that it held a measure of significance for Ko. A piece of Dorin he could keep on Coruscant.

"I'd say we're off to a good start with our little pan-galactic garden." She smiled down at the little green sprig, imagining it someday as a mighty tree. "Tell me about Dorin, Ko. Is your family still there?"

A question Cora phrased carefully; she'd come to find that the topic of family could be complicated among the Jedi. Some had been orphaned, others had come from broken homes, and no small amount had never known their parents.

Ko Vuto Ko Vuto

Last edited:

Z9U36lL.png
“Well that makes sense, Rodia is a pretty humid and swampy planet if I recall.” Ko said, thinking back to what little he knew of the world these Poola Blossoms originated from. “I could only imagine how radiant they would be in their native environment.” His words carried a bit of a double meaning in them. Since he literally could only imagine how brightly they’d glow.

But Ko agreed that they were off to a good start with their little garden. Ko then placed the pot with the tiny sapling down. Ready to start the actual planting process soon now that the ground has been treated well enough.

Hearing Cora’s question about his homeworld left Ko thinking for a moment. He hadn’t been there in a long time now, not since he was recruited into the Jedi. A fair few memories of the planet had faded from his memory.

“It’s quite rocky, there’s not a lot of vegetation there. But I do remember my family's home was in a particularly lush valley.” Speaking of whom he thought about how to answer her question about his relatives. “As for my family, I’m not too sure to be honest. They were loyal to the Imperial Order that governed that region of space. I don’t know if any are still on Dorin.” The Kel Dor's tone was rather regretful. If some had been banished, or escaped persecution for their imperial sympathies, Ko was unaware. Perhaps he was the last of his name.

Glancing towards Cora he continued, “I know that there was an old Jedi Enclave there as well. Perhaps one day you’ll get to see it, like how I’ve gotten a bit familiar with Ukatis.” Ko said with a more optimistic tone. Wanting to harbor more positive thinking in regards to what the future might hold for himself and his home world.

Last edited:
There was a somber note to Ko's tone as he spoke of the uncertain fate of his family, and Cora inwardly winced for having asked. If she had thought about it a little harder, perhaps she would have remembered that Dorin was previously under Imperial rule.

"I'd like to see it one day." She readily agreed, placing another poola sprout carefully into the dirt. "Before I came to Coruscant, I thought that the Jedi and Sith were the only organized sects that dealt with the Force. I only learned of the Baran Do during my studies, but it would be remarkable to see them up close."

A small smile lifted one corner of her lips at Ko's mention of Ukatis. Her homeworld was a bittersweet subject for the blonde Padawan; despite her exile, she'd been spending more time there since the Mandalorians had razed Axilla, quietly helping her people to rebuild. If the crown knew, they didn't seem to care. They had a lot more on their plate than a rogue Princess who wasn't making trouble.

"There aren't many Force traditions on Ukatis, but there are some Seers who serve the royal court." She tucked some dirt around the sapling, patting it neatly to leave a smoother finish. "I might've done something like that, maybe, if Ukatis hadn't begun to seek membership with the Alliance. My father thought it would be better to send me to Coruscant. I did, too."

Her smile was a little more even, but perhaps a little bitter, too.

"It ended up being the best thing I've ever done."

Ko Vuto Ko Vuto

Z9U36lL.png
For better or worse, Ko wasn’t that close to his family, except for his big brother. He was too young to have grown too attached to them. He just knew that they stood by their principles and were largely loyal to the Imperial government. But he was glad that Cora seemed to express some desire to see it herself. “Just keep in mind that it'll be you who’ll need a breath mask there.” Although the idea of not needing to wear his mask for a while was nice, it would likely feel a little weird to him. The few times he could take it off he always felt sort of… naked.

Ko perked up some at the mention of the Baran Do. “Well you know, I’m technically a member of the Bara Do as well as a Jedi. Kinda like dual citizenship. Although I was only there very briefly and was very young until I was pretty much transferred over as a youngling.” He replied, explaining a bit more of his background and connection to the Dorin Force Tradition.

“Oh I didn’t know that Ukatis had its own traditions.” Then mention of them often serving the royal court did sound a bit familiar to how the Baran Do had conducted themselves in the past with powerful families and clans. Generally to avoid and quell conflicts. As they spoke Ko would begin planting a bit as well. Adding the small ‘not-dasiy’ into its own little spot within the garden.

“I’m glad you don’t seem to regret training as a Jedi, I feel Like it can be a bit difficult not to think fondly of what could’ve been. Like if my mentors on Dorin hadn’t thought it’d be better for me to train as a Jedi, and I grew up around other Kel Dor.” That last part was particularly true. I often felt like an outsider wherever he went. It wasn’t uncommon for him to be misidentified. Like being called a Bothan.

Cora nodded along to Ko's mild surprise over Ukatis Force traditions.

"We do, but they're not as involved as the Jedi or the Baran Do, presumably. You'd have to go more offworld for a more thorough education in the Force."

When she'd first met Nwul - then known as Wake Nayne - on Ukatis, he'd been studying the planet's Force traditions. Much to Cora's surprise, he'd learned that a handful of Sith Lords, including one in her own lineage, had hailed from Ukatis in the past.

"If I hadn't come to Coruscant, I'd likely be married by now. Perhaps not to Horace, but to someone."

Jedi training had been another line on the wife resume, as her father saw it. Who knew if he'd be able to successfully match his daughter to the Crown Prince without it.

Until recently, Cora hadn't spent much time thinking of what her life would've been like had she not come to Coruscant. Ko seemed to be thinking the same thing - but there was a layer of difference. Though known for their hospitality, Kel'dor had fundamentally different biology than most humanoids. No one could miss that, even misidentified as Bothans.

"Does the mask bother you?" She asked suddenly, pausing to work a deeply rooted weed from the earth that she had missed earlier.

Ko Vuto Ko Vuto

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom