Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Don't Let The Good Die Young

daniel-bernal-mountain-sunrise-bernalstudio.jpg

The air hung cold, a brisk morning on Bastion as Maliphant sat on the balcony; dressed for the day, but his mind far from the current moment. Birds chirped, the constant rumble of the distant waterfall, yet all of it paled in comparison to the sound of his own thoughts; how he had failed to bring his apprentice up fast enough, how her connections were going to debilitate her, make her lose focus. Perhaps he couldn’t afford her to fall behind Thesh, but he knew she herself couldn’t afford such. The world she was going into, that of the Sith, was something so far disconnected from anything she knew, where power was the only dominating presence, and if she hesitated even once she could be destroyed.

Or worse, what she holds dear could be destroyed.

Maliphant understood this, unlike most Sith. He didn’t wish to dehumanize his pupils, only for them to learn the dangers of what was to come. While Thesh was put on him by the Imperial government, it was Nilia who was his first chosen apprentice; she had a special place in his heart despite all the cruelty he gave off. As simple as it would be to follow in the footsteps of more traditional Sith teachers, with torture and the like to make them perpetually within the negative mindset that comes with such, he refused to put such pressure on Thesh or Nilia; not without their choice. Not yet.

With a sigh, he took another drink of his coffee, closing his eyes as the distant hum of the engine marked the arrival of his guest. [member="Thesh"] was sent away, with his own goals and missions to be set out upon, while Nilia was kept close; though it was too early for her to get up. She had a tendency to sleep in, and Maliphant knew this, it’d offer him a few hours to talk to the man he had spotted before, one he could sense on Nilia’s mind constantly. He was the primary thing holding her back in these moments; and he had only one option to get her back on track.

His finger tapped against the ceramic of the cup methodically as he opened his eyes once more, looking out towards the still water painted sky, cast over in its morning colors.

---

As Arekk landed, a droid voice came over the speakers and spoke in the posh Imperial tone of the Core; greeting him to the facility as it gave him instructions to the main facility. The area around Harper’s Respite was impressive, held beneath the looming guard of massive red canyon walls and an entire oasis below it; with much of the home suspended over the chasm, connected by a series of closed bridges and even some that were open. It was impressive, massive even, but as Arekk stepped off, a protocol droid that looked a bit too human would greet him, motioning him to follow.

Even entering the facility was exceptional, as every room and hallway he entered was covered in art of eons past, large white and spacious decorations, and the constant glow of nearby terminals and protections. If he looked hard enough, even the distant patrols of Southstar Class Battle Droids clicked through the halls, though they were sparse. The entire facility was protected from anything short of a full assault; imposing in itself, though none of the security features seemed to notice Arekk and the droid as they walked.

Eventually, the female droid stopped and motioned out of the building towards a balcony that was wide, looking out on the canyon and oasis below with a number of large, comfy chairs floating on repulsorlifts awaited. Within one, an faintly attractive stranger with alabaster locks of hair sat, a cup of coffee in hand before those familiar corrupted eyes looked back towards the slicer who entered the wolf’s den.

Ah! Good Morning, Ar’ekk. A pleasure to finally meet you.”, he said as he quickly stood and offered the man a hand in a greet.

Arekk

The Flesh Of Fallen Angels
"If you think nothing can get to you, you're lying to yourself. At best you're temporarily dead. A lightning bolt could re-animate you without a warning."
w. [member="Darth Maliphant"] and [member="Nilia Saavilin"]

Meeting of minds.

The respite was a marvelous work of architecture and complex designs, a clear statement of power and status built for the very same reason. A strange meeting arranged beforehand had brought him to what seemed no man's land, red canyon walls towering over his head like pitchforks ready to pounce with determination, armed droids roaming freely to make sure nothing would disrupt the apparent tranquility that reigned here.

Too quiet for him, like the calm before a storm.

He felt out of his element as he walked between the beautifully decorated walls, their ancient artwork painted with extreme detail brought him some sort of tranquility. It wasn't something that could be explained with words but something told him to be calm regardless of what could happen, the future was never written. Tailing the female droid for a minute before it stopped by the balcony and outlined the way for him, Ar'ekk spotted Maliphant.

A beauty comparable only to those read in fables and ancient tales, very odd for a man like him to look so delicate like he could almost break with the touch of his fingers. But deep inside he knew that appearances were deceiving and that very same thought quickly dissipated from his head before snapping back into reality.

"Good morning." He eventually said, reaching out with his cybernetic hand to engage in a handshake. "The pleasure's mine."

The horizon was something else...

Arekk was a man of reasonable complexion, though it was obvious by the looks of him he didn’t take as good care of himself as he could. Just enough to stay ahead, just enough to not disgust people; something Maliphant didn’t enjoy personally, but to each their own. The shake he offered Arekk was strong and firm however, betraying the somewhat slimmer form he carried, ashy grey lips twisting upwards in a grin before letting go.

Please take a seat!”, he said as he motioned to the chairs floating on the repulsorlifts as some makeshift form of soft suspension. Each chair was shaped almost like a bowl, layered in synthetic cushions and a soft fabric that seemed slightly too soft to be natural; all for the sake of comfort.

Maliphant quickly took his own seat next to him, bringing the coffee to his lips once more before setting it aside on a second floating tray, letting it fall away from him as he lifted his feet to rest with him; only to glance back to his guest, speaking in the way a businessman does, a suaveness that pervaded every notion, but the sternness of a father.

Where are my manners, I’m Dorian. Dorian Harper, if you’d like.”, he began to speak.

Is there something you’d like? We have a fully automated kitchen, bar, even a cigar pantry with choices all around. I don’t personally smoke, but you’re more than free to do so.”, said gingerly, with no ill intent.

If Arekk did ask for something, Maliphant would simply nod and the droid behind them would walk off to fetch this or that, a good show of manners; and whatever Arekk chose would be of exceptional quality. It seemed everything in the house, while quiet and tranquil, was certainly prepared to serve at any given moment with an extreme focus on quality.

You’re probably wondering why I asked you out here…” Maliphant began once more.

In truth, I’m not entirely sure why myself. I wanted to speak to you about… Well-”, he said as the golden eyes he held, corrupted from years of being submerged in the dark side, turned towards the ex-Jedi.

I wanted to talk about Nilia, Arekk.

[member="Arekk"] │ [member="Nilia Saavilin"]

Arekk

"If you think nothing can get to you, you're lying to yourself. At best you're temporarily dead. A lightning bolt could re-animate you without a warning."

Everything felt odd.

Ar'ekk couldn't pin-point exactly what it was that rubbed him off the wrong way, perhaps the way the respire was built between red canyon surfaces or its bygone designs etched against the walls inside made him feel at unease. Maliphant didn't help much to ease that sensation now stuck in his head, like a drill shattering through your skull and scraping out whatever's behind.

"Guess you already know my name." He eventually said with a somber tone, shoving a wall to Maliphant. Blocking his emotions entirely, unable to decypher or even read. "I'll take a cigar, though."

The toxic fumes traveling through his body and staying in his lungs temporarily would help him to cope with this nervousness, its sour taste being printed on his tongue after the first tokes was an always present thing to enjoy. Floating chairs were a novelty for Ar'ekk, of course, and he made sure to react accordingly to them by making all sorts of weirded out expressions but not losing that signature composure of his.

"Nilia?"

Ding, ding.

Guess that trusting your instincts was the right thing to do once again, this wasn't a coincidence in his eyes. It never was.

"Why do you want to talk about her?"

Maliphant didn’t tense as he could feel Arekk do such, sighing slightly at the obvious apprehension the man had taken into the conversation. Taking another sip of his coffee, he let the slicer wait for him, the steam from his drink forming a small shroud in front of his face as the ceramic contrasted the color of his skin; setting it down a moment later before bringing his attention to the guest he had invited;

Ar’ekk, Nilia is force sensitive.”, he said slightly quieter than before, his own gaze dead set if not slightly somber; the totality of seriousness.

I’m sure you’ve seen this. I’ve taken it upon me to train her, bring her up in a world she can make something of herself; even differentiate herself far more than the life of a workhorse.”, he continued.

She wants to be great. Its human nature…”, he said with a slight shake of his head and another sip of his coffee, bringing it far closer to being empty than he hoped.

However, there is… Well, trouble. She is vexed, her attention constantly off her studies; and it worries me. I’m not sure what you know of the Sith, Ar’ekk, but if she falls behind any more than she has already, she could very well be taken advantage of, killed even.

Maliphant paused, bringing some dramatic flair to the points he made.

Ar’ekk, I brought you here, because I think some of this distraction is you. I wanted to touch base, speak to you before Nilia wakes, come to an understanding.”, he said as his expression became more serious, turning the entire chair somewhat towards the slicer now;

As her training intensifies, I need your guarantee you’ll not cause her to hesitate. The world of a Sith is far more intensive than anywhere else, and if you make the mistake of pulling her back from it, forcing her to falter in her run towards her goal…”, he paused again, as if finding the words.

Ar’ekk, I need your guarantee you’ll not interfere. If you do, Nilia will die.

Arekk

"I felt like I was walking into a trap. I felt guilty, like I was about to get caught."

The way Maliphant eloquently spoke made him perceive the dark aura that sorrounded him, ill intentions hidden beneath a facade of understanding and good actions. Ultimately, his fears were confirmed when the man had confirmed Nilia's current status as her apprentice in the Force and even worse: the Sith. Blaming himself quietly but without giving off too much of himself to the man sitting next to him, Ar'ekk looked into his eyes with piercing daggers.

"This is what you've been planning for her, huh?" He said while using the cutter on the cigar's tip, igniting it with his own lighter afterwards. "I can't let you do that."

It was crystal clear that the man that Ar'ekk once was began to flourish once more, hidden beneath that shell of a person that no longer cares about the world, after all it was impossible to hide. As a former Jedi, he had made it his life work to defend the light and keep the peace in the Galaxy but this time it wasn't about that but more personal. Hearing what Maliphant just said was nothing but poison, a snake hidden in the grass waiting to strike at the last minute.

He despised the Sith even after all of these years.

"Is that a threat?"

A stern look reached Maliphant's way followed by a thick cloud of smoke evaporating into thin air, his stance on the matter couldn't be more clear.

"At the end of the tunnel, all that power will be worthless."

"She's not going to become your pawn. I promise."

That was it.

There was a certain anger in the slicer's voice Maliphant picked up on, one he obviously didn’t choose to hide. It was disappointing, really, that the man he invited into his home took such an aggressive tone so quickly; forcing a light sigh from Maliphant as he finally set down his coffee cup and stood, taking a few carefully placed steps towards the balcony. He watched the birds fly between the trees, the distant roar of the waterfall washing over them if only faintly, all of his taking place before he spoke once more;

Please, don’t be so foolish, Arekk. I have no intention of harming Nilia.”, he said with a shake of his head.

Believe it or not, my intention is not for her to work for me, but with me. She is not a prisoner here, nor are you…”, the sith said before looking towards Arekk, now giving him his full attention.

However, she has been exposed to darkness. In her heart, in her mind, throwing her to the Jedi would only numb her to feelings, fill her with hate and anger she won’t know how to compensate for.”, Maliphant continued, his tone stiff and well adjusted.

You’re a smart man, Arekk, we both know this. If Nilia falters in her path to understanding her powers, taking hold of them, she could very easily be manipulated or destroyed by someone who very well may mean her ill intent. Not all Sith are as… well adjusted, as myself.”, he said, a dismissive hand twirling through the hair as if to cast aside the point.

If not myself, who would you propose? Yourself?”, he said motioning to the ex-Jedi.

5c0a9e3999.gif
The Outer Rim, Bastion, Harper's Respite, Personal Chambers, Morning
Sleepwalker | Interacting with [member=Arekk], [member="Darth Maliphant"] ~ Good Mourning ~ "They told me once, 'There's a place where love conquers all'."
——————————————————————

Something woke Nilia from dreams of home, and she wasn't sure what.

Her expansion into the fragile territories of the Force had been slow, like entering a pool too cold to bear, tapping into something she'd always used. Every new lesson or skill earned increased her awareness both of the present and the past. Maybe that's what had led her to dream of rain and thunder and warm arms around an infant daughter, new abilities giving her greater control over memories. Letting her relive things she shouldn't have been able to, couldn't dare think of before.

You'll never know them, Nil'ika. I took you away from that. Let our aliit die in your mind so they don't consume you.

Black hair tumbled down her back as Nilia sat up in bed, a face momentarily angered banishing the smooth, weathered voice of her mother that rose from childhood reflection. Even weeks ago she would have welcomed a conversation with her, her wisdom as a battered soldier, her sharp humour and kindness. They'd fallen out for too long over the Sovereignty and over their wildfire family, to reunite was sweeter than anything. Now, though? Her mother had no idea where her daughter was, what she was doing, what she was becoming. That suited Nilia's cold heart just fine, something that made a twitch run down her spine. Would she have approved, would her uncle have approved?

Ar'ekk's here. That's what had woken her. Bond or no bond, with her growing talents, feeling him was tangible and easy. At first, she relished in it, then questioning set in. Then a modicum of worry. What, in Wild Space, was he doing here? A former Jedi? Talk about a conflict of interest. Swinging her legs over the edge of the bed, a shaken hand raised to her face to move hair out of her eyes, predominantly worry shadowing her. But her lessons could serve her well, and even though Ar'ekk had changed incredibly since the time of their bond, she was confident that she could reach out to him and he could respond, senses extending to try and connect, make him aware of her presence and awareness of him being here, in her new home. The thing that made her pause was that her Master was there, as well, nails grazing the skin of her palm out of nervousness. Telepathy was a difficult skill, but one she attempted nonetheless, focusing on the ties between herself and the former Jedi to reach him through the Force.

"What are you doing here?"

Arekk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_JgOlGq6i4​
"The trouble with wanting something is the fear of losing it, or never getting it. The thought makes you weak."

His blood boiled at a thousand degrees while his eyes laid upon Mailphant like an enraged bull ready to strike. Everything that Nilia once was and the person he knew would be gone if she gave herself to darkness. That's what happened to him, swearing that no matter what he would not let anyone fall for the same thing ever again.

"Don't lie in front of my face to tell me all Sith aren't the same. You've got a lust for power you cannot control or even comprehend, it's ingrained deep in your core. Everyone's like that."

Foolish to defy a Sith Lord in the comfort of his own home, almost like he had a death wish. Maybe that's what it was, giving your life in return of offering Nilia a chance to start again away from what he feared so much. Losing her to the dark side of the Force would mean the end of everything they had built, known, touched and created. A loss they would never be able to recover from.

"Her gift is sacred and can live in balance, going down a path that you know will corrupt her regardless of one's teachings will doom Nilia forever."

Smoke blew out of his nostrils as he spoke, kicking back on his hoverchair as his gaze remained on Maliphant. Within his leather jacket the pistol and lightsaber he brought stirred nervously in anticipation. The desire to finish everything was too great but he held back, for his own good and most importantly Nilia's.

But then a familiar voice echoed in his mind...

"Don't do this."

Emotion rolled off the jedi in droves, whether he was hiding it or not. Maliphant always held the inert ability of empathy, some might even say on par with that of a Zeltron, but the faint pale hue of his skin seemed to deny this. Every facial adjustment, the tone he took when he spoke, the man before the Sith was far more steeped in anger than Maliphant chose to be;

A weakness, if he didn’t know how to utilize such emotion.

Maliphant, feeling the fatal intent, simply shook his head again; disappointing more than anything welling up inside him. It was true Jedi were hard headed, something he could see even now. His voice however, didn’t speak of this, the softness of it drifting off his veteran tongue with equal measures hope and reassurement;

Your view of the Sith is not wrong, Arekk, but it is juvenile.”, he continued, “Have you ever heard of Kreya? She was a Sith, once trained Revan, but she carried with her a distinct philosophy regarding The Sith.

Pausing for a moment, he looked over Arekk anguish before continuing.

Getting lost in power is the weakness of all Sith, but it is one that can be subsided. Withheld, even, despite it all. I will not deny her gift is sacred, but balance is a lie you know all too well. Those who live in apathy drown themselves in distractions.”, he said motioning to the slicer.

Maliphant paused for a moment as he saw Arekk pause; taking into account the possibility of Nilia awaking. He did not however, move to give hint he knew that something had taken place; moving forward with his points without miss.

To contrast your point, what would you expect a Sith to do in my position?”, he questioned the slicer.

Would I kill you, letting her deal with the anguish to empower her? Perhaps hire the innumerable underworld contacts I have to make you disappear, leading her to believe you abandoned her?”, he said, though the tone seemed to carry a passive threat.

No, instead of all this, I invite you into my home; and it is you who bring anger. You’ve not even heard what I have to offer, to help ease your worry, Arekk.

Arekk

"The trouble with wanting something is the fear of losing it, or never getting it. The thought makes you weak."

No more.

Not a single word from Maliphant, that's all Ar'ekk could think of in that instant. The sickening way of turning something truly evil into a much greater thing than it really was made him feel creepy-crawly all over, attention diverting to the cigar held between his robotic fingers. Its bitter taste reminded him about his days as Jedi, transporting him to Malachor V where it all began to fall. That same taste of gunpowder remained on his taste buds annoyingly. Resisting to the dark side was difficult but if someone gave you a hand to support yourself, you'd be able to hold back.

He hoped that would be the case here if it was too late.

"Your desire to have power over others is disgusting, Harper. Your kind has always been about wanting to reign and control, to be better than the other and go above and beyond to reach that goal. It's been a tradition for a milennia."

Ar'ekk stepped off the hoverchair before leaving the cigar aside, sheltering his hands inside the leather jacket he was carrying. An urge to just finish everything right there and then was too good to pass on but he continue to hold those dark thoughts, becoming what stood in front of him would be his demise. Light prevailed over darkness, always has been that way and this occasion would not be the exception.

"I have heard everything I needed to know. What makes you think I'll continue to listen to this charade? Beneath this facade of a good person you carry lays the true face of evil. A truly twisted demonic mind."

You couldn't change his mind, it was already made up at this point and he portrayed that as clear as water. Whatever happened next would seal the fate of the three, the future remained clouded and unconclusive. He was willing to make sacrifices if it meant she could live in peace and serenity, not under the reign of a man whose true intentions were despicable and sinister.

"Nilia will not join you now or ever, even if I have to give my life in exchange."

If my demeanor is a front, then so be it.”, Maliphant said with a faint smile. It was not coy, nor confident, only pleasant. There was an odd refreshing reasoning behind it.

Consider for a moment Arekk, that you accuse me of domineering, power grabbing, enslaving people to my will; yet I have not once said something as a master, only as a friend.

The Sith idled over to the robot, who had by this time refilled his cup of coffee and given it back, the fresh steam rising over the white ceramic of the cup, greeting his nose with a pleasant, robust aroma. He savored it, only to let it sit in both hands a bit closer to his waist; an unassuming position, but one he did with care.

On the contrary, you’ve only stated what Nilia ‘will’ do, what she ‘must’ do, as if it already set in stone to your will. Is that how you see this? That you control what must be done, for the greater good? That which is determined by your wisdom, of course.”, he said as he maneuvered his way back towards the balcony, glancing over to the now fully risen sun; though it still crept over the walls of the canyon in the distance, casting long and broken shadows, each indistinguishable from a nightmare.

All of this emotion, this anger you feel, how long before it takes you as well? Would these be the lessons you pass on to her?”, the Sith spoke without looking to like fuming force sensitive with him.

Maliphant was a master of charisma, a wizard of words to many. It was a trait he kept despite the manipulation of his mind, the utter brainwashing he experienced by force of The Sith Empire; but what they could not change was many of the key characteristics that once made him so dangerous. No, they filled him with maturity, loyalty, but more than anything they instilled a natural ability to hold back; all of which was dangerous for a Sith to possess.

Arekk, my offer to you was tutelage. So that you may trust me, and the path Nilia is to go down. To find confidence and reassurement that what I’m willing to pass on is not the insane ramblings of a power hungry Sith, but the rational understandings of a Sith who knows the weakness of the order, and the reality of life.

I offer you a home, Arekk.”, he said, finally turning towards the Jedi.

Sleepwalker | Interacting with [member="Arekk"], [member="Darth Maliphant"] ~ Good Mourning ~ "A city with the streets full of milk and honey."
——————————————————————

"What's happening?"

She wasn't foolish. Concern echoed along their connection, a slow-burning fear, worry of him and his reason for being there. There was no immediate reply to his first demand, no answer to why this madness had set in, she couldn't even process an explanation without it sounding so false. Bare feet touched the cold floor as she rose slowly to stand, the tails of her sleeping robe slinking off her sheets. Her mind was wearied and sleepy, but clung on to the familiar person she felt so clearly as if she were next to him in-person, "It's okay." A soft musing, like she had already known he'd disapprove of all this.

Briefly, her consciousness brushed against Maliphant's, purposefully; he likely knew she had risen, but he would know for sure from that silent greeting. Nilia's focus was present on the former Jedi, which was to be expected. Perhaps even the root of their conflict. A shawl found itself in her fingers-- Telekinesis was definitely something she wasn't used to --and the minted Acolyte pulled it around her shoulders. Perhaps if Nilia appeared in person, she could start to end some of the apparent tension starting to build.

Footfalls carried her from her chamber to where she felt Ar'ekk and Maliphant. But she was still a ways off.

Arekk

"I'm in no way deciding Nilia's future, just outlining that she's not someone who must be influenced by the dark side of the Force. That's not something I will allow to happen."

Ultimately, it was she who would decide her fate through and through. His attempt to make Nilia stray away from the awful path that awaited for her in case she decided to pursue the teachings of the Sith would be worth something unless it was decided otherwise, the choice was in her hands at the end and he'd pursue changing her mind until the end.

"And I refuse it. I made that mistake once in my life and I regret it to this day, to fall for something greater than I was. The lust for power was too great for me too handle and quickly realized the mistake I made, eventually it'll corrupt and eat your mind until the person you once were will be shattered forever."

Her voice resonated in his head again, making it really difficult to keep up the conversation between himself and Maliphant. If he was as strong as Ar'ekk perceived him, then he'd be aware of her presence increasing tenfold as she began to speak through their connection. The bond shared between the two was powerful, beyond anyone could ever believe, almost inevitable to sense if one was strong with the Force.

"It's not. Please don't listen to him."

It was worth living for.

The bond the two shared seemed taught, the emotions running between them enough to keep their very nature strenuous; using the ease of the connection for telepathy no doubt. Maliphant could feel Nilia, the way she touched on his mind for only a moment to remind him she was there; something he knew well enough. There was no doubt she was on her way there even now, which in truth was just fine all things considered. One way or another, this would be dealt with.

Maliphant idled as Arekk spoke, never interrupting him, never showing signs of aggression or ill intent. It was hard to be violent when you had to talk yourself up for it, and he could see at least some of his words were making him doubt himself. Whatever the man knew in the past, Maliphant would see to it they did not apply here, not to the future;

You’ve internalized it, Arekk. Scared of what you saw, and what Nilia may face; but you didn’t have someone to guide you through it. Someone to teach you how to pull back from the edge, and realize why you do what you do.”, he said smiling to the still agitated slicer.

This is the difference, a chance at a better future than smoke filled cantinas and odd jobs. I do not claim you’ll become a God, nor even that of a King; but I guarantee you’ll no longer be a slave.

Is freedom such a bad thing, Arekk?”, he said, before motioning the droid towards the kitchen.

As the two continued, the droid would move through its normal morning routine; the soft clatter of pots and pans signaling breakfast was being made, only reinforced by the soon approaching smell of bacon, likely imported from Dantooine or other agricultural planet. It was a reassuring smell, reminding Arekk where he was, hopefully calming him with the joy of food.

Nilia has a chose, just as you do. I’m giving you the choice to learn, to not fall endless into the Dark Side as you may have known it, but the Force as a whole; how to become something. Anything, and defend it with all your heart.

You may be scared, Arekk, but you don’t have to be.

Arekk

"I am not afraid."

Ar'ekk stood his ground in the most stubborn of ways, rendering it impossible to change his point of view this far into their discussion. His mind was already minded up by the time Maliphant offered him a peaceful alternative to fighting, one that could end up being truly nasty. Aware of the dangerous territory he was walking into, the man couldn't help himself but hold back and refute everything that the Sith Lord spewed as his words were like poison corroding every fragment of his mind.

"We don't need your teachings about the Force and the dark side which will only bring us despair. Deep within your shattered soul remains a small beacon of light, inbetwixt your black heart and corrupted mind."

Their voices echoed masterfully between the walls that sorrounded them, an ever growing tingling in the back of his neck alerted him that Nilia was getting close to where they had been discussing for the last few minutes. Ar'ekk was way too much on edge that any scent emanating wouldn't cause him to calm down at all, that being the toxic fumes of a cigar or the delightful aroma of just cooked bacon.

"You don't get it, do you?" He countered with an exasperated tone, robotic index pointing at Maliphant. "This is over, today. I'm taking her with me."

No more talking. Action.

Oh, you’re not afraid.”, he said with a sudden flatness, “My mistake…

Maliphant paused for a moment as he drank the coffee, seeming to enjoy it silence for a moment before looking up from the cup to Arekk himself, as if he had forgotten he was there entirely. Another second and he was fully smiling at him, resting the cup near his waist once more;

I think that decision is hers to make, Arekk.”, Maliphant interjected, “While I’m sure you feel very founded in your ‘Light Sided’ ways, you’ve still maintained your decision on Nilia’s autonomy; and that isn’t something I can allow.”, he ended with a shake of his head.

But please, sit down Arekk, unless of course-”, he paused, cocking a brow as his head tilted slightly as if he had just come to a revelation, “Unless you intend to strike me.

The Sith seemed to hum for a moment, glancing back to the canyon as a finger tapped rhythmically on the ceramic he held, its soft tapping giving off some unknown morse signal. Tap, tap, tap; a constant as he looked away, only to bring his attention back once more;

Would fighting me reassure you, Arekk? You seem upset, and if it would… I’m not sure, perhaps settle you? If it settled you, I’d be more than willing to oblige.

There was never a betrayal of tone, his tone never rising or stuttering. The man carried with him an almost arrogant calmness in the face of anger, and the way his lips curled into a ‘caring’ grin seemed an insult masked in a sweet cover.

Perhaps Arekk didn’t know it yet, but Maliphant was still in control. For the moment, at least.

Dreamer | Interacting with [member="Arekk"], [member="Darth Maliphant"] ~ Good Mourning ~ "I haven't found it yet, but I'm still searching."
——————————————————————

The smell of food and the scent of a soon-to-be-disaster lured Nilia to the balcony. Quiet footsteps carried her from the shadow of the entrance into the risen sun of the balcony, behind the Jedi-turned-slicer. This time when she spoke it was aloud, not through any mental connection, "--Good morning." It was the only thing she could think to say, at the moment. Perhaps her education in the Force really had given her insight, that things were quickly unravelling. Her Master had a level of charisma that made her seem like a babbling child in comparison, paling years of diplomatic training. And if he wasn't able to talk Ar'ekk down, could she even try?

Meandering to the Jedi's side she looked up at him with vulnerable eyes, thumb and index finger pulling a corner of her shawl closer around her, she looked to Maliphant then with an expression swiftly suppressing the momentary emotion. Hiding it wouldn't matter, but it made her feel a little more in control, so she did, "I'm..." Nilia seemed to be picking words carefully, moving a few curls of hair over her shoulder to buy her time to think, "Glad, that you've met, at last."

She had no context to their prior conversing seeing as she'd just arrived now, no context to how Maliphant had offered him a spot here. But she could sense the tension in the air like heat from a forest fire, and swallowed before muttering, "Did I miss something?" To nobody in particular, waiting to see what the next play would be in this delicate game.

Arekk

"Doing that would just give you the reason. I am not that kind of person anymore."

Changed, reborn for some.

Maliphant was in full control of their conversation regardless of the back and forth between the two, Ar'ekk kept throwing dirt into the man's playground with the expection of receiving some sort of retaliation for that. His warm leather jacket felt like a snake pressing its body against the man's neck, a fuzzy sensation that continued to press on that feeling of unease and tension.

"I've come to learn that one can live in balance, between the grey, without having to give into power. You've never experienced such thing but I did personally, but you prefer to play blind."

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. His stance remained the same even when Nilia arrived to the balcony, tension increasing tenfold as she began to speak, his body was already on edge by the time he laid eyes on the girl. The worrysome expression on his face told a thousand stories and if she was clever enough, the signals sent her way through their special connection could make her realize what was truly going on.

"Nilia, there's something truly sinister beneath this man's facade of a good person." A short silence overtook before he kept going, palm touching the girl's shoulder. "I'm afraid that I will lose you to whatever he's trying to teach you. It's too much power."

It was worth trying to save Nilia and everything they had, no matter what could happen next.

Is what you do considered life? Wanted in how many systems?”, Maliphant pried.

Arekk, whether he knew it or not, had been vetted in depth by The GenoHaradan upon being hired for their various operations; the largest trade off for working with the extremely secretive organization. While any official member of the group was restricted to secrecy besides from their individual Archon, the Retainers were known about in full; and a large file had been purveyed by Maliphant before the meeting they had now, studied in depth from the time he saw the ex-Jedi speak to Nilia and Thesh.

Maliphant quieted himself as Nilia walked in however, offering her a kindred smile as he let the two do their greetings. His expression didn’t change from the amiable stance he held as Nilia gave him a tensed look, even after she calmed it and stood next to his guest; simply tapping the coffee mug before taking another sip.

Just us talking. I’ve been meaning to-”, Maliphant began before Arekk spoke up;

Nilia, there’s something truly sinister beneath this man’s facade of a good person.”, met with only a silence. As Arekk looked intently at Nilia, Maliphant offered nothing but a simple shrug, only for Arekk to begin once more;

I’m afraid that I will lose you to whatever he’s trying to teach you. It’s too much power.

I suppose that sums it up. Arekk here doesn’t have faith in what I want to teach you, believes you won’t be strong enough to handle it. Arekk is afraid.”, he said, quietly motioning towards Arekk as if to bring attention to his earlier statement about being unafraid.

I offered him a room here, during your apprenticeship. Even offered to train him in the same manner, in the hopes it would provide some confidence in what you’ll learn.”, Maliphant continued, sipping from the coffee once more before speaking again;

He’s said no to every offer, saying instead he’ll take you from this place. All I’ve told him is that it is your choice, Nilia…”, he paused for a moment, bringing the cup towards his waist once more.

What do you think of this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom