Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you like invasions?

Do you enjoy invasions?

• Total voters

Miss Blonde

Trying to be straight in a crooked Galaxy
I've been involved in 2 or 3 invasions involving yhe republic and the one sith and I can say with confidence I don't enjoy RPing with the sith and their leadership writers. I just don't, I'm sure they are great people in real life, upstanding members of society. But I can't say I like their constant commands for PVP because I'm not a fan of fighting Sith Lords as an NFU. I've been in invasions where I've had a blast, Atrisia, Eriadu, Fondor, O'reen. I've had tons of fun, but I've yet to be in an invasion with the sith where I've had fun. I feel it's less about story telling and more about galactic domination. It's like playing a game of risk with someone you hate and they just took Istanbul.

I love invasions. And public do-whatever threads, and private threads.. But I enjoy Invasions because it allows me to write out fights and such with people I wouldn't normally write with.

I get to be a total meanie in invasions.

And as for the "with OS" thing, I think it's fun to be on the other side every so often - so writing against the faction I used to be a part of is equally enjoyable, if not more thrilling because I get to "knock over the blocks", so to speak, that I helped put up in the past.

The invasion along with the dominions format are what makes chaos stand out to most other writing communities and it offers a sense of reaching for a goal that has a real effect on the world we RP in.
That said , I sometimes hesitate to join because of the time aspect.

Got to say - I do not see a reason to avoid the OS for invasions. They are part of our community as much as all others and are frankly a very good foundation for our own story progression.

Cristina Zeitlin

C
I can only act on what I've heard.
So far the only interactions (true interactions in terms of the OS with my characters) with this character specifically are at this moment the thread in which Darth Hauntress invited me to join.
The other interactions I've had have been with my character the Duchess, and even then it was only with a few of the One Sith faction members.
What I have heard is that they are focused on PVP and are more than likely to be less than amicable in terms of permitting Invasions of their territory or allowing themselves to reduce their cloud. They seem to have no problem invading other factions, though they apparently have a problem with factions invading them in turn.
Again, I can only act on what I have heard.
However I feel that with as small as the Republic has gotten, and from what appears to be a slow in Dominions on its side, as well as writers flocking to the Galactic Alliance; we need action to galvanize people to write for the Republic again to push the Faction forward.
Personally I feel that it is time that the Sith allow themselves to lose some territory to Invasions by the Republic. Sitting on the side line and watching the interactions between the two and it seems that this is a highly one sided war in favor of the One Sith with the Republic seeming to be a punching bag.
I say that we start punching back and start pushing for Invasions of their territory and to open new channels with the already existing Factions, specifically the Mandalorians and the Silver Sanctum.
[member="Geneviève Lasedri"]​

I'm missing the option "Depends on my opponent".

Because... that's what really makes invasions fun or incredibly frustrating for me. The character Veles fights and their writer.

I've had some really great duels, off the top of my head I can name the fights against Kian Karr and Phylis Alince - one ended in a loss for me and the other was a draw. What connected these fights was probably the same willingness to lose as to win. Of course we wanted to win. We had the same chance of winning. The characters were fairly nicely matched, but on the other hand, we were pretty fine with losing as well.

That is not the usual mindset, unfortunately. I've always been told that "invasions are about winning at any cost". Well, that is just great mentality to have!

No, not really.

There is nothing more annoying than trying to find a good opponent and bump into a powergaming munchkin. A 3 metre tall donkey of a race you've never heard about, but wookia says they're really powerful. It is quite possible they are mutants/cyborgs/hybrids (or all!), which makes them even more awesome. Of course, this character is clad in all-resistant armour and is Force-dead, yet can use the Force in Starkiller fashion.

The character has a cloak of invisibility, glasses revealing one's position, weaknesses, alignment and power level, a necklace that grants them 120% protection against any and all sorts of powers that could actually hurt a Force-dead being, an indestructible lightsaber with crystal +20 attack -5 defence and a helmet of +20 defence -5 attack. Naturally, the character knows every power that is convenient at the moment.

Oh, you sonofa....

The player knows what kind of character they have. They know they are going to win. The character is tailored to roflstomp anything that gets in their way. And if you actually find a way to deal damage, you are accused of godmoding/metagaming and playing unfair.

It all goes to hell then.

So as I said, it's all about the opponent for me. If I meet a player hellbent on winning, I can say I am not going to enjoy the fight very much.

Tyl Ro

The Anti(Hipster)-Cynic
I think the more important question here, and one that I believe [member="Ali Hadrix"] alluded to in her invasion thread a few months back, is: what would get the folks who aren't interested in participating in invasions to change their mind and get involved with the next one?

For me, I'm not a PvPer, but that doesn't mean I couldn't be persuaded to participate and help the Republic cause in some fashion. But it would have to make sense for my character. And I would not be surprised to hear that there are many such characters in the Republic.

Using myself as an example, Tyl is a healer. She isn't a duelist. She isn't a pilot. She's ok with her saber but she's better with her powers and would be better off on the backlines, or as a support to other characters. Is there a place for me?

As another example, what are Senators supposed to do while the invasion is ongoing? Popcorn? Cause that's pretty fun to write (that was sarcasm if you couldn't tell). But those are quintessential characters to how the Republic is supposed to function, and yet they probably feel pretty left out when it comes to invasions. I highly doubt they would pick up a blaster pistol and put themselves on the front lines, if you catch my drift.

I'm sure there are plenty of other niches that Republic characters fill that are often left out as well.

And these examples are just IC ones. On my own, I probably can't devote a huge portion of my time to writing an Invasion post at least once every 24 hours. I can hardly write one every other day as it is at the moment. If I can't keep up, will it negatively impact the result of the Invasion? Because if so, it would honestly be better for me not to participate and just watch from the sidelines.

So I want to know from other people in the Republic if they feel the same. Or if I'm just the odd one out.

I enjoy most invasions, though I can't say I despise going against a specific faction. It all really comes down to who your character is personally dueling/combating in that specific invasion.

Now, I'm not a fan of the One Sith but I've had quite a few great PvP scenarios with them. I know [member="Braith Achlys"] (Silara) and old [member="Hion the Herglic"] are great duelists and fair writers - because I remember dueling both of them at once with my character Lok Jorunn on Geonosis. Led to some snarky taunting, lots of action, and then I was eventually defeated.

I welcome most invasions but I'm sure we can put a spin on these upcoming ones rather than just being blatantly "PvP-Only." Maybe we can do a "King Of the Hill" style objective on one, or do a Capture the Flag style mode. I dunno. Let's just spice it up a little.

Turin Val Kur

T
Fun fun times back in the day.

Now people are so obssessed with winning and losing that they bog down what could be a great, long story and turn it into a two week rush of writers that by the way is super constricted when it comes to rules and regulations. Talks take forever because people want this and that rule to apply but the other wants this that and the other.

My suggestion? Take a look at old invasions. The Sith Empire (were many of you even here for them? I don't remember) invasion of Junction or Mandalore are invasions I remember fondly.

Once you start nitpicking rules for invasions things start to get hairy. Instead of stopping invasions for days over a post and report communicate with the writer. Be courteous and at least on our side don't godmod/powergame. And most importantly have fun, its not about winning or losing its about writing a story, the story of this universe and be okay with losing.

[member=Turin Val Kur]

I have advocated for predetermined victories in the past. Where a coin flip decides victory, and then both sides are freed up to simply enjoy the writing.

There is literally no disadvantage to that system, and it eliminates the stress of struggling for victory that often seems randomly assigned anyways.

[member="Turin Val Kur"]

I've been vying for a return to the former days of invasions. Even Manaan was a great invasion, and that was within the One Sith era. Though we were very distraught over the use of Godzilla and the countless hordes of Sithspawn and Vong, it was a fun battle overall until the Sith's endless swarms took over the story rather than some good, fluid military writing. I greatly enjoyed participating until the end. I know a lot of Republic players felt the same. With a limit on military forces and a little more fair play all around, we could recreate those fun times once more.

If only. Currently, I'm still negotiating the latest invasion terms. Sadly, it is taking a long time because the Sith only want to write duels instead of allowing for a little bit of everything.

Once upon a time, we could all just play our own game and equally contribute to an invasion via whatever means we wanted to fight with. It was a story of all sorts of people coming together. Pilots, soldiers, captains, Jedi, generals--they all contributed to the story and there were fewer reports. PVP was not the all-important objective it is today. Writers fought each other ICly but maintained some respect OOC. Peope wrote to win, but they also wrote for story.

I've only been in two invasions since I came here. Sure I lost PVP in both, but I actually enjoyed Manaan. It was a good blend of story and battle. Now it seems all anybody cares about is duels. Don't get me wrong, duels are fine, but you need more than PVP to make an invasion people will actually have a desire to participate in.

Ali Hadrix said:
I have advocated for predetermined victories in the past. Where a coin flip decides victory, and then both sides are freed up to simply enjoy the writing. There is literally no disadvantage to that system, and it eliminates the stress of struggling for victory that often seems randomly assigned anyways.
This idea...it sounds feasible...I LIKE IT! :D

Turin Val Kur said:
My suggestion? Take a look at old invasions. The Sith Empire (were many of you even here for them? I don't remember) invasion of Junction or Mandalore are invasions I remember fondly.

Remember Roche and Metalorn! Good times. :D

With me it depends. I do like wrecking stuff with Sio in absurdly destructive ways.

Darth Veles said:
I'm missing the option "Depends on my opponent".

Same. I had a blast at Metalorn (fighting the old Sith Empire a very long time ago), Atrisia (when Fringe attacked way back), Coruscant, Druckenwell and Wayland (invasion was a massive drama fest, but I had good times with Kaine since we had a good ooc rapport and he was very fair about things, not to mention fun to hit).

Ali Hadrix said:
[member=Turin Val Kur]

I have advocated for predetermined victories in the past. Where a coin flip decides victory, and then both sides are freed up to simply enjoy the writing.

There is literally no disadvantage to that system, and it eliminates the stress of struggling for victory that often seems randomly assigned anyways.
Predetermined victories keeps the gusto out of the invasion, in my opinion, but speaking as a person who hasn't really cared which way an invasion has swayed, win or lose, I'd be fine with it. I like writing both happiness and hardship, delight and despair, death and life. That's why I don't understand how the OS can possibly stand to just win, then win again, and woah, we won again? Lol.

They're not developing as writers very much if they write the same old success story, and developing our skills as writers was part of the point, right? Or am I completely missing something?

[member="Varus Shatterstar"]
Aye, they seem to like winning a lot.
Kind of unfortunate, really, but they'll have to accept a defeat sometime.
Hopefully soon.

[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"]
I keep hearing all this stuff about Wayland drama, and every time I get really confused for a second. When the invasion happened I was writing lizard Azrael for the Prime, fighting against non-lizard Azrael. It started out fine, but I ended up getting really, really sick, so I only left the comfort of my bed to post once every two days.

I managed to avoid all of the drama simply by dying a little extra for a few days. Well, that and I found myself an especially splendid opponent.
Still surprised lizard Azrael didn't get crushed, though

My biggest worry is the time aspect.

72h is what I prefer to manage. It gives a good time to keep some quality to writing. 48h is fine, since I get that the sense of rapid speedy combat is part of it all.

But 24h... 8h work, 7h sleep, leave kids at school, fetch kids from school, cook dinner, help with homework, say hello to the wife... I fear quality will be hard pressed. But for this one I will try to come through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom