Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do we need a catalog of Chaos Lore?

Do we need a catalog of Chaos Lore?

• Yes

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • No

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters
Bunker-level Normal
Hello friends, acquaintances and strangers!

I am still rather new on this site. Yet being rather new means that I'm afflicted with the condition of newness, and I still don't know everything about Chaos yet. There is much I can learn from reading the Codex, talking with people and reading some RP posts, but I have neither the time nor wisdom to sort through and read the posts important to Chaos' lore, to find that one person with the knowledge and patience to impart it to me, or the experience to know what is or is not still viable in the Codex.

I believe Chaos needs a way to keep a record of its lore.

What do I mean by Lore?

I mean the record of history, of battles and wars, triumphs and failures and even those events of middling consequences.

I mean records of planets and places, especially those of canon, and what has transpired there since the events of Star Wars canon.

I mean a more detailed timeline of factions and their influence on the galaxy.

What do you think, Chaos? Are these worth recording? Cataloging? Organizing for members young and old?

Newest of newbie and hardened veteran alike, make your voice heard on this matter. Do we need some way to catalog Chaos Lore?

A vote above is merely to answer the broader question. If you would like to discuss the finer point, feel free to comment. The Lore Creation board was recently moved to the Archives, and the infamous Wiki is in a developmental state. This means the floor is open to any and all ideas about the best way to record Chaos' Lore. Don't be afraid, make a suggestion, any suggestions are reasonable.

Bunker-level Normal
Lisette Vantai said:
I think a functioning wiki, as per your question, would be great. We just need people to know everything about what they're posting articles on, otherwise misinformation will be spread.
That's certainly ideal if a wiki was used.

I believe a sufficient fallback is for those who have some knowledge is to create a framework with the knowledge they have, and leave the article available for others to contribute their knowledge on that particular piece of lore. If nothing else, this allows there to be some lore information instead of none, as we have now.

I see this as the benefit of the wiki. It's a bit more susceptible to abuse since multiple individuals can edit, but a wiki generally allows several means (restoring old edits, locking controversial articles, etc) to control this.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
This is what the Lore Codex is for. I'm not sure whether the issue is that people don't use it, or that people aren't allowed to use it for most of the above yet. It has been a "beta" for forever now.

Bunker-level Normal
Nyxie said:
This is what the Lore Codex is for. I'm not sure whether the issue is that people don't use it, or that people aren't allowed to use it for most of the above yet. It has been a "beta" for forever now.
Lore Codex is in Archives now.

The LORE section of the Codex was originally created for just the things you are asking for. To catalogue events and history of places and the people.

Unfortunately the LORE section was not used. In the 3+ months it was open, it had a grand total of 9 submissions. I think there was a great deal of confusion surrounding just what the LORE section was for and how to create a sub for it. Perhaps if we'd filled it with good examples and advertised its use it may have seen more attention.

I for one liked the idea of the LORE section and I had planned to eventually submit several things to it. But they were at the bottom of my priority list, so it never happened.

A member-made Wiki for SWRP Chaos might be the next best way to go. Unless you can somehow convince the Admins to reopen the LORE section for a second chance.

Lorelei Darke said:
A member-made Wiki for SWRP Chaos might be the next best way to go. Unless you can somehow convince the Admins to reopen the LORE section for a second chance.
I'd also just like to mention, it'd probably be a good idea to also suggest ways to make lore more appealing.

I don't believe the lore section wasn't used because of disinterest, but because people didn't know how to use it or what it was exactly for.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
I liked the Lore Codex, but part of the reason it wasn't being used was the fact that it was so restrictive. It should have been open to all lore from all factions, lore from world events and all other manner of things that didn't fall under Major Faction or Species. It failed because the staff ordained it so by not opening it up to the purpose it was made.

I like the idea of a SWRP wikia. The problem is that everyone and anyone will be able to add or edit silly things.

Nyxie said:
I like the idea of a SWRP wikia. The problem is that everyone and anyone will be able to add or edit silly things.
Everything's going to have a downside. The question is: Which would be preferred?

I can tell you that if the lore section does open up again, there will still be restrictions; maybe not as much but nonetheless.

If we had a member-ran and moderated Wiki I could definitely see potential. Especially because I think it's about time people realize that we're restricting ourselves here by not taking initiative.

I agree with your points, however. Just food for thought.

Bunker-level Normal
Nyxie said:
There are methods to curb that. It could require membership to edit, or even lock certain articles from editing if they become too controversial or the subject of edit wars. For articles that you have contributed to or are watching, you can be notified of any changes and (and assuming you're an expert on a particular piece of lore) correct any mistakes.

A question would be who would best moderate such a wiki. Certainly the Codex Judges here are familiar with site lore to an extent, site policies and culture, and (should) have the respect of the membership. But this might come with the same restrictions as opening up the Lore Creation forum again.

Home grown moderation, built up by whomever starts the wiki and spearheads the charge? Depending on the person, they may lack the right reputation or charisma to make the wiki successful.

Perhaps the right balance of home-grown and Codex-loaned moderation could work.

Allow me to provide some context here.

The Lore forum for the codex was my idea, and I had the hopes that the OP did for it.

However, it swiftly became apparent that it could very quickly become a sticky issue. Some of the submissions which you didn’t see were ones which were blatantly subjective towards one side or the other, almost propaganda pieces for one faction over another.
And so I was left with a very narrow band of things to use; allowing people to add ‘lore’ details to their own submissions. Very few took us up though because for the most part this is what people put in species/planet/npc submissions and there’s nothing stopping them adding that into those subs.

And so the Lore forum withered on the vine because I couldn’t find a good use for it which would not be better suited elsewhere.

Bunker-level Normal
Chiasa Kritivaas said:
Re the Lore Forum;

I honestly thought it was for like.. Things that happened in the past that folks had made up. Like, past past, not recent active has been RPed past.

Darnit! I totally would have been logging things in there!
It seems like there was a lot of confusion about the Lore board.

My hope for lore would be as encompassing as you think, including recent active has been RPed past. That, above the past past past (did I do it right?), would be more appropriate as additions to a Lore wiki, if that's the method that winds up working best.

[member="Valiens Nantaris"]

Thanks for your addition to this thread. As an Admin, can you give any insights to the state of the on-site wiki? Is the software easy? Cumbersome? Is it a matter of getting it set up or are there plenty of hurdles even after setup?

Bunker-level Normal
[member="Valiens Nantaris"]

Fair enough.

My goal for a catalog of Chaos Lore would be to open submissions to all lore. Initially, I hope lore added will be about canon planets, recent history (more in depth than the current timelines offer) and existing factions so that newcomers can learn about these pieces quickly, and not simply duplication of existing Codex content.

Bunker-level Normal
I have a feeling this topic is not going to get very many more replies or votes. While the poll didn't exactly capture a huge sample, of those who weighed in, a significant majority believe this is something that needs to be done.

[member="Lisette Kuhn"] [member="Lorelei Darke"] [member="Anja Aj'Rou"] [member="Nyxie"] [member="Wolf"] [member="Ludolf Vaas"] [member="Sabena Shai"] [member="Chiasa Kritivaas"] [member="Phade"]

Very well, I've tagged everyone here who seemed interested in a wiki of sorts. If you are willing to help me move forward, I would welcome your help, advice and contributions. My PM box is open, my skype is listed on my profile, and this topic is open for more replies.

I have started a wikia site for Chaos. If anyone wishes to begin filling out the articles, feel free, just know that they may require some edits later as we cultivate guidelines for the wiki.

I'd ideally like this to be open to any Chaos lore, but my simple guidelines for the moment are as follows:
  • Articles must relate to Chaos. Wookieepedia exists as a reference for canon and EU information, so articles on our wiki should have the majority of their information be distinct from Wookieepedia.
  • For the moment, please don't duplicate character profiles or Codex and Factory submissions on the wiki. These have their place for the moment. Our focus for this wiki should be on the lore, meaning events, history, and notable figures who have influenced that.
  • History of RP events, even those that finished yesterday, are fair game, but articles should always strive to be objective in their content.
Those who wish to contribute to the wiki may do so without any further permissions. Go, write, be free!

Anyone who wants to hash out the contents of the wiki, how to best attract submissions, suggest new guidelines, or offer any suggestions or critiques of what I have already done, etc, comment here or PM/Skype me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom