Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Dirty Laundry

Tom Kovack

T
Minutes after the Triumvirate talks concluded and Step By Step occurred...

“‘Scuse me... ‘scuse me...” Tom worked his way through the crowds of departing councilmen and delegates from dozens of worlds. Or at least, he worked his way past their bodyguards and entourages—it was nigh impossible to get anywhere close to the politicians themselves.

Good thing his target wasn’t a politician. Spotting dark hair in a blue dress, he made a quick final dash across the room, halting before the figure.

“Hello Auteme. I’m Padawan Tom Kovack. Can I talk to you for a sec?”

He then braced himself, expecting to be beaten enthusiastically by her handbag while she screamed for security.

if they're watching anyways
"Hmm?" She turned to face him. "Ah. Yes, I remember you, Padawan Kovack. You were at a few of our meetings."

She laughed. "That might not be a good thing, I suppose; they weren't extraordinarily productive."

They'd never spoken directly, and Tom had said little during those discussions, but she tried to remember the faces of others even if she couldn't quite remember their names.

"What can I help you with?" As soon as she posed the question, she guessed the answer. Her gaze fell to the floor.

Last edited:

Tom Kovack

T
Phew. Okay. He was in. Now to get down to business.

Gesturing for Auteme to follow as he moved a little further away from any crowds, he replied in a low voice, “I heard Jend-Ro Quill Jend-Ro Quill ’s message. Everyone and their mother formally commented on it in the chamber, but nobody answered the questions I have.

“You’re connected to Master Quill, right? He is, or was, your teacher. What do you know about this? Is he telling the truth? Does he have proof that the NJO... ?” He waved his hand in a vague gesture, avoiding saying anything harsh-sounding within possible earshot of others. Or maybe because he still hadn’t quite accepted it himself.

Auteme nodded gravely. "The academies... they were targeted. I should've been more involved with the planning, because I think- deep down, I knew what was going on. The acolytes, the trainees, were scared, and the approach of 'only fight those who raise arms against you' -- it's not enough, and even if it was, there were times where it didn't work."

She sighed. "There's a lot of apologizing and deflecting I could do, but that's missing the point. We're going to be better; I'm working towards that change, so we always do things the right way. But I also understand if you don't want anything to do with us," she said.

"Just... we're not perfect, and we probably won't ever be, but we can't become stagnant and stop working towards being better. Addressing this is just a first step."

Tom Kovack

T
So it was true, and not some weird, tasteless prank. Tom resisted the urge to rage. Instead, he deflated, his shoulders sagging and eyes drifting down to the floor. He'd had high hopes about joining the NJO... well, not exactly high hopes, but he had been hopeful. The Silver Jedi had disappointed him in more ways than one, but news like this was soul-crushing, illusion-shattering, hope-killing.

"I know," he said at last. "I'm sure you're working on this. It's just... a lot to make up for." He sighed. "I guess I'm just wondering how it happened in the first place. I'd like to speak to Master Quill, if possible, and see the evidence for myself. Although I suppose that would be a breach of privacy... he knows who was involved, doesn't he?" He must have, if he had solid proof. Names, or at least faces, of the Jedi who had done these things.

"I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I mainly joined the NJO because I felt alienated from the Silvers after the Elder Compact fiasco, and because I couldn't find a master willing to train me." Three different masters had offered or agreed to take him on, only to ghost him. He had grown frustrated, almost to the point of despair. This new scandal with the NJO was infuriating, but it also lit a fire under him. He wanted to be different and take part in the change regardless.

Auteme saw that spark of conviction. That was right -- it was frustrating. It made her angry that it happened, it made her angry that it'd happened under her leadership. Anger was a potent spice; a little could clear her head, but too much was overwhelming. She needed to keep herself on track. Eyes on the prize, as intangible a prize self-improvement could be.

"His evidence... it's damning, but I could never knowingly recommend seeking it out." Still, she gave him an understanding nod. The truth could be difficult but it was always necessary. "He resides at the enclave on Jakku. I need to visit him, to talk to him in person, but there's so much to do," she said. "If you see him before I do, tell him not to worry about... being arrested, or anything."

She had no idea why he'd be worried about that. Didn't matter.

"Tom, I don't know you well, but most of the Jedi I know have a desire to be better -- and make those around them better. I can't tell you what to do but if you join us I have no doubt you'll have a positive effect. As for you; if you need it, I could help you find a master, but we're notoriously short on them. The New Jedi Order... most of us are just kids trying to figure things out for ourselves. Everyone here has something to teach, just like you have something to teach everyone. I trust you'll find the right path." Most of the best paths involved asking for help. She gave an encouraging smile; a simple reminder for him that she'd help whenever he asked.

Tom Kovack

T
"The enclave on Jakku?" He didn't know there was a Jedi enclave there, though he supposed it wasn't a terrible hiding place. Jakku was fairly remote without being so far out it was unknown territory to the rest of the galaxy.

"All right. If I see him, I'll be sure to tell him."

I don't know you well. Tom recalled how she had said almost the very same words to Starlin in the Jedi Temple on Commenor, after he offered up his lightsaber for his crimes at Dantooine. Auteme probably didn't remember it, and she most assuredly didn't understand the connection between Tom and the lanky blue-eyed Padawan who had knelt beside Thurion Heavenshield that day, but Tom couldn't help reacting to the reminder, suppressing a shiver.

"With all due respect, I'm not as young as I look. If I had received proper training when I was younger, I might be a Knight already." He shrugged. "I don't want to sound arrogant, but right now all I really need is to learn the abilities. I know the Jedi teachings already—it's the Force itself which I have trouble with. If you know anybody looking for an apprentice strictly to teach the abilities, not necessarily to be some great role model, point them toward me. I'll probably be on Jakku, if not Coruscant or... well, actually, there's quite a few places I might be." Smirking to himself, he gave her his contact information. "Here, you should be able to reach me this way. I move around a lot."

"I'll be sure to reach out," she said, taking his information. "I admit, your struggle is unique. Most need to overcome their own problems to become true Jedi; the powers are trivial. I suppose, when you have them, it's easy to forget what it's like without them."

She could barely remember what it was like without the constant hum; the ebb and flow of the Force, having it at her beck and call. Did a Jedi truly need it? It was not as though one needed the Force to be good.

"Next time I'm teaching a class, I'll give you a call.

"Best of luck, Padawan Kovack. I'm sure I'll see you again soon." With that, she turned and headed off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom