Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diplomatic Dialogue

Caius Flavian

Faction Admin - The Galactic Republic
latest_zpsebf4d8d1.png
Today was to be a momentous day. Despite the Militaristic nature of the imperial Remnant and the ideology of the Imperial Way the primary driving force in the galaxy besides the force itself was communication. Communication was key to making others understand or allowing one to express the nature of one’s being. Between two beings communication can result in myriad of emotions, thoughts, ideas, the exchange is endless. A breakdown in communication or perhaps the one individual has made clear that their views differ to the point where violence is needed to remove someone who has expressed such differing views is a pillar of communication. It was no different than between nations, governments, companies and crime organizations.

The Imperial Remnant was no different. Diplomacy often for the Imperials in the past came in the form of a dozen star destroyers entering orbit and essentially making an ultimatum to the government. Such an era of gunboat diplomacy was gone. In fact since the collapse of the Imperial Order the galaxy has remained in upheaval. No single faction can claim hegemony. No single government can instill peace and allow a quiet galaxy. Such thoughts were naïve and fleeting for most young people. There were few who truly believed in the greater good of the galaxy and necessary steps needed to make bring about peace.

I was one of those people. I had arranged to setup a meeting with representatives of the Galactic Republic. My family once hailed from the republic before tragedy struck our lives. Now I lived on the fringe of the galaxy fostering a new power on the galactic stage. Still my family had a few ties to the galactic core and I was able to properly reach out to those powers that be. I merely had made the suggestion to the Grand Marshall that we should perhaps initiate diplomacy early on with the Galactic Republic rather than later.

The meeting was to be via holocommunications. I was sitting in an office on board the absolution class star destroyer Regicide. A 32 ounce mug filled with a refreshing yavin green tea was at hand along with a pen and paper. ‘Archaic to most people of the galaxy, but I find that pen and paper just feels more decisive’ I had sent the signal and request to the line I was given by my contacts. It would most likely be some senator from who knows where answering. Which would be fine as this was just an initial meeting.

The holoprojector had been fitted to the desk to project out into the center of the room, this way whom ever did attend this meeting would be standing or sitting as if they were in the room itself. The room was a standard grey metal with a few motivational posters and a bookshelf filled with datapads. One of the walls was a holoprojection visual of Kalee where Imperial Operations were in full swing in the terraformation process.
I crossed my legs and took a sip of tea. ‘A momentous day, now the game of patience begins

[member="Alena Beswin"] | [member="Aurelia Saelari"] | [member="Caid Centurion"]

[member="Caius Flavian"], [member="Caid Centurion"], [member="Alena Beswin"]

“Ma’am, your meeting with the Imperials is ready,” Aurelia’s aide said.
With disapproval she noticed it was one of the sleek, mechanical ones, probably an HRD. Oh yes, they made her office more efficient, but they were as enticing as communicating with a brick.
“Ah yes, the glorious Remnant. I shall be there presently.”

Entering her holo-comm room she joined the joint meeting. The Republic leaders were not all in one place, but were patched into the conference via technical means far too irrelevant and technical for Aurelia to bother with.

Rather, she soon found herself faced with the Imperial delegate.
“I am Chief of Government Aurelia Saelari. Whilst my colleagues from the Triumvirate arrive, who might I be speaking to?” she demanded archly.

This was probably going to be one of those meetings.

Caid Centurion

C
Caid was planetside, but on the world of Kuat. The Grand Admiral had been inspecting progress on the strengthening of defenses in the system given its importance and proximity to a potential path of expansion from a very aggressive foe. Similar projects were either underway or complete in more coreward planets, but Caid took any excuse to stay out of an office.

Thanks to the kind hospitality of [member="Lorelei Darke"], Caid managed to acquire access to a conference room to conduct a meeting that'd been added to his schedule quite last minute by Captain Velez. It had been the right call, of course. Caid had instructed the young man that any business of the Triumvirate was to be given all due priority when able.

Once the holocom connection was established, Caid offered a casual nod to [member="Aurelia Saelari"] and their...guest. The Admiral did not directly address the man at the moment, uncertain as to whether or not the two were already engaged in conversation.

[member="Caius Flavian"]

While Davin appreciated the initiative, he would be the one to formally issue out policies for the Imperial Remnant as a whole. Caius Flavian was one of the best damned soldiers and naval officers that he'd ever laid eyes upon - and his tone and attitude towards the man typically bore his feelings for him. Although he liked him so much, it was a shame that he held little to no political authority when it came down to the foundation of the entire mission statement. As for Davin, being a Grand Admiral had its perks.

"You are speaking to Grand Admiral Vad'avi'nuruodo, madam," the Chiss stepped into view, "In short, Grand Admiral Davin of the Imperial Remnant." Black-clad in his Imperial Knight's armor, the gleaming red eyes of his gave the Republicans a pensive stare. Alongside the grey-uniformed Imperial officer, the black knight looked quite archaic to hold such a title.

He didn't wait for the Republicans' answers either, pulling up a chair and seating himself next to Commander Flavian.

[member="Caius Flavian"], [member="Aurelia Saelari"], [member="Caid Centurion"]

Caius Flavian

The holoprojector flickered to life. To my sincerest surprise to who had materialized. I sat a little straighter. I took a slow breath to keep a calm composure.

“I am Chief of Government Aurelia Saelari. Whilst my colleagues from the Triumvirate arrive, who might I be speaking to?”

I was about to respond when another figure materialized. ‘Dear celestials the Triumvirate are whom I’m meeting with? What in the worlds? This is not at all who or what I was expecting.’ I decided to simply not fight expressing my surprise. This was not a meeting of deception and considering their positions I had to be careful to not waste their time or my own. No this required finesse that many of my comrades lacked in dealing with others. Having grown up in the core I knew that patience and straight forwardness would be the key to achieving anything, hell even ensuring a proper declaration of war needed to be done expertly or else that side would look barbaric.

When the Grand Admiral had entered the room the surprised look continued. I had jumped to attention as well. ‘Oh my, this is much more grandiose and momentous of an encounter than I had anticipated’ The Grand Admiral’s introduction was certainly one to set the mood. As the Chiss took a seat I gave an inward sigh of relief. This would certainly be an easier discussion with someone higher ranking than myself to do the primary talking. I would simply provide good consul and perhaps help drive home the point of all this.

I sat down myself and took another breath to regain composure. I started to speak with a calm and collective voice.
Hello Madam Saelari, Grand Admiral Centurion, I am Lt. Commander Caius Flavian of the Imperial Remnant, and my superior here and I will be acting on behalf of my Emperor and Empress” I paused and gave them both a polite salute. After I dropped it I reached for my mug of tea “I take it then that Chief of Senate Beswin will be attending this as well?”
I began to notate on paper whom I was just now talking to and the time and date. “I hope that this will not be a waste of time for either party to this. I will begin with a simple fact we are Imperials thus our Ideology conflicts with that of the Republic's so it will be inevitable that armed conflict may erupt between our governments, but there is no reason we cannot act like civilized people and establish certain guidelines and treaties...” I tapered off and took a sip of tea to allow them to respond.

[member="Alena Beswin"] | [member="Aurelia Saelari"] | [member="Caid Centurion"] | [member="Davin"]

[member="Caius Flavian"], [member="Davin"], [member="Caid Centurion"], [member="Alena Beswin"]

Aurelia listened in stony silence. Her chin raised slightly, a clear sign she was about to be withering.

But first. "Grand Admiral Davin, it is a pleasure to meet you. I see you are retaining the long tradition of Chiss Grand Admirals," she said sweetly. She did not add fighting for losing causes but it was implied.

Now she turned to the other man. "And you, Colonel, I am pleased to see the Emperor honours us by sending one of such importance," she said disdainfully.
"Chief Beswin may attend, but you must understand that we are very busy governing a state which is more than a remnant," she added tartly.

"As for your comments, your ideology of tyranny and domination certainly conflicts with the freedom and tolerance of the Republic. However not even I would say war is inevitable. I am ever hopeful that the Empire will learn the lessons of eight centuries past, but it seems I was overly optimistic. If you are so convinced that war will result, what possible treaties and guidelines could we establish, except perhaps to deal with fair treatment of your soldiers captured in battle. When I was told of this meeting, I was hoping there would be something more than a demonstration of why you are a Remnant."

"Grand Admiral, I know of your skills, surely you have more constructive things to add?"

Caius Flavian

I stifled the anger from the slight against my superior. It was plainly implied. Obviously she had other things of importance to attend to which is why originally I was expecting some lesser politicians. It felt like she had picked apart my words although on one part she hit a nail on the head. The anger subsided and I almost chuckled though when she addressed me as Colonel. Hell I just got a promotion from a Republic head of government. When she spoke of war I cringed a little and thought ‘A poor phrasing on my part, it doesn’t hurt admit when you have made a mistake.’ I decided to respond before Grand Admiral Centurion could to clarify before this dissolved into simple berating and saber rattling. I didn't want this to be a debate of who was in the right or which government were more effective. Such matters were best left to philosophers.

Madam Saelari, perhaps my choice of words was incorrect. I am a military man where pessimism from hazard certainly had shaped my perspective. Any individual capable of performing the necessary actions for the greater good often rise into positions of authority. Thus is why I sought to initiate this meeting for you are correct to demonstrate more than just why we are a remnant a shadow of our former selves,” I said maintaining a level tone while addressing the second unnecessary slight “Empires have risen and fallen over the centuries just as Republics have done the same. I’m certain we all could cite the multiple times where relations have soured and war has broken out and other times when said governments have set aside differences or compromised and worked together. Ideally today I would hope we could reach the later. Establishing economic ties and possible options of military assistance and a discussion of wider affairs could be in order. We exist together on the galactic stage, a collaborative effort to exist peaceful is reliant on both our actions.” I took another sip of tea and glanced over to my superior officer then to the republic's grand admiral.

[member="Alena Beswin"] | [member="Aurelia Saelari"] | [member="Caid Centurion"] | [member="Davin"]

Caid Centurion

C
Caid listened intently. He was growing quite fond of [member="Aurelia Saelari"]'s blunt, silver-tongued approach to diplomacy. If nothing else, she was very entertaining. However, Caid had been around enough people of various ilks to recognize when an underlying nature of intelligence existed regardless of the comment.

Once both the Grand Admiral and Commander had spoken, Caid tapped a few notes down on the datapad in front of him. Whether these related to the conversation at hand or another matter entirely was unclear and, ultimately, irrelevant. For now, he had nothing to add. Broaching the subject of military assistance was...a bit premature in his mind. That was the type of interaction generally reserved for close allies or those receiving an element of humanitarian assistance. He rather doubted they'd be inviting Imperials over for state dinners after this conversation.

[member="Caius Flavian"] | [member="Davin"]

She wanted a clear sign of the fact that they actually were the Imperial Remnant.

I hear Coruscant has fine weather as of late, he thought, holding his tongue. The Remnant were no friends of the Jedi, but they were absolutely disdainful of the Sith and loathed them more than getting a stain on your favorite shirt. Hell, this woman before him gave them looks of contempt that almost made the Imperials themselves metaphorical stains on the galaxy. Caius had made a diplomatic, reasonable, and fairly polite approach, Davin would play the bad cop if he chose to be the good.

"Domination?" The Chiss softly scoffed, cracking his fingers, "Madam, the word as of late is that the Republic is the biggest Akk dog in town. A part of me is left wondering how you obtained such planets." He shifted in his seat, obviously getting comfortable for a long talk. "But let's stay on topic. A Democratic Republic can have a tyrant for a leader and a monarchy's citizens could boast more freedoms than one of those stim-shooting hippies. Please don't judge a HoloNovel by its cover.

"And as for your request of proof of being an empire, I'd like for you to elaborate on the parameters. I trust that you merely aren't wanting evidence of our supposed age long traditions of achieving victory by war." Crimson eyes shimmered, "I assure you that we're quite different from our ancestors."

[member="Caius Flavian"], [member="Aurelia Saelari"]

[member="Caius Flavian"], [member="Davin"], [member="Caid Centurion"]

Aurelia, even though one of the less talented diplomats around, decided to get things back on track. She could unleash a broadside later.
"I will have to take your assurances then, Grand Admiral," she said as politely as possible.

"So tell me, gentlemen, what is it you wish to discuss? As you are aware we are not actually close to you at all. Indeed, the Mandalorian Clans are rather closer to you than we are. Despite this, I have no immediate quarrel with you so I will not seek to impede your people entering the Republic if they wish to trade. Moreover, I see no reason why we cannot allow an embassy here if you wish. I feel anything more would be inappropriate at this time. Is this acceptable?"

Caius Flavian

Well now things have certainly smoothed over a little. A Grand Admiral obviously had the authority and status to be much more assertive. Davin certainly parried with words as well as he did with a lightsaber. I let loose an inward sigh and took a gulp of my tea. The results were pleasing but I felt like there was perhaps a little more progress that could be made. An idea Rae’rwna Ves’stahl had proposed to me the other night to aide in our endeavors on Kalee.

Madam Saelari, these are very much acceptable. If the Grand Admiral approves I believe it would be prudent to allow the Republic an embassy along with an ambassador to act as an observer of the Imperial Court and a go between for our governments. I would also like to see if our ambassador may also be extended the same courtesy to being an observer to the Republic Senate?” I paused for a moment I put my mug down and clasped my hands together.
I also would like to extend one last proposal that the Imperial Empress Fista Fel has requested I ask on her behalf to you. It is of a humanitarian nature though in fact it pertains to a species whose home world has been ravaged by history. If you have perhaps another moment to hear this out?”

[member="Caius Flavian"]

"Upon my discretion, I will allow for the Imperial Remnant's ambassador to be an observer in any publicly-open Republic Senate sessions." came the Chief of Senate's voice. "Please note that as an observer, the Imperial ambassador will not have the right to participate in voting procedure. The ambassador will rarely have the opportunity to address the Senate as well."

Caius Flavian

Ah Im glad to hear your voice, Chief of Senate Beswin, I was beginning to wonder if the Republics executive branch and its military would be the only participates of this meeting” I spoke with sincerity and held my hands clasped since I was not about to make a gesture for a voice. A flicker of frown crossed my face for just a brief moment ‘The true representatives and decision makers of the Galactic Republic were here in session...’ I made a stern face but a calm tone “Im well aware of differences of an Observer and a Senator. We are not seeking representation under your republic, we merely wish to allow a mutual voice between our two governments. I would suspect our Ambassador will likely only be dealing with the executive government. Just as the Ambassador from the Republic will likely only be receiving audience with the Imperial Crown or their chosen representatives," I paused for a breath and then "So Chief Beswin I believe you would also be able to consider this humanitarian request to take it before the Senate or which ever committee might be in charge of these matters. Essentially it would be the revival of the Kaleesh species and their civilization on Kalee"

Hesitant in allowing attention to be drawn to herself as she had been an officer in the Republic Navy not long ago, Tålamod finally interjected on the Remnant's behalf. "A cord of three cannot be easily broken. The Republic has had no success against the Sith whatsoever, and it would have been served well with more allies." She paused to subdue her inner frustration--not targeted at the Republic's ways, but tired of its recent incapacity to protect itself. To her, they were like the hatchling that just would not step over the edge of the nest to find the air for its wings.

"The Empire has always been painted with such broad strokes as intolerant, not as the Republic. My families have served with both. They are not so different, no."

Having said her peace, Lieutenant Commander Shapochka backed down and determined to interrupt no further unless called upon.

[member="Caius Flavian"], [member="Alena Beswin"], [member="Aurelia Saelari"], [member="Davin"], [member="Caid Centurion"],

This meeting quite certainly was becoming something of a party. More and more people joined the discussion right after another and Davin's mind was already going overboard on formulating counterarguments and the sort. Caius was a fairly decent politician, he'd just learned, so his words for now on behalf of the Imperial Remnant would suffice. It was nice to see his subordinates and other personnel taking initiative and seeing the bigger picture at hand. Less work for him, more glory for the Remnant.

The Chiss Admiral had no more words presently and only nodded to Caius in agreement to his proposition. His silence would be his approval. Should he do something wrong, he would speak out and make due edits. As for the new woman standing behind he and the Lieutenant Commander, he had no idea who she was nor how she even got in here. Didn't matter if she was the same rank as Commander Flavian here. Clearance was of utmost importance to the security of this little imperium.

Davin merely only shot her a red-hot glare, collecting interest on his contempt for later.

[member="Tålamod Shapochka"], [member="Caius Flavian"], [member="Alena Beswin"], [member="Aurelia Saelari"]

[member="Tålamod Shapochka"], [member="Davin"], [member="Alena Beswin"], [member="Caius Flavian"]

Aurelia raised an eyebrow as the random officer interjected.
“I see the old Imperial standards of discipline and control are as strong as ever, Grand Admiral,” she commented dryly. “Since this apparently top-secret meeting is open to the peanut gallery, I’m wondering if I should bring in some bystanders on my side to even things up?”

“To answer your question, Ms Commander, we have had rather a lot of success against the Sith. We have suffered defeats, I do not deny this. But is the Imperial Remnant really willing to send its forces across the galaxy to provoke the Sith? If so, by all means feel free, but I suspect your Grand Admiral has a more realistic appraisal of the situation.”

“An observer to Senatorial proceedings is quite acceptable. I will let Chief Beswin deal with the specifics there. Is there anything more you wish to discuss, Grand Admiral?”

Caid Centurion

C
Caid did his level best not to have a visual response to the variety of statements, requests, and cameos that seemed to be littering this particular dialog. However, Caid could, as always, count on [member="Aurelia Saelari"] to simply say what everyone was thinking. He could not have been happier to leave the general subtleties of diplomatic negotiations to the woman. It was also clearly highlighted that he was definitely not a politician. Not that anyone in the Republic desired or expected him to be.

However, he certainly agreed with the woman's appraisal of the situation. No definitive alliances would be created here today, and they were a long way off from anything beyond keeping the diplomatic lines of communication open.

[member="Davin"] | [member="Caius Flavian"] | [member="Alena Beswin"]

Apparently being impolite was becoming a fad for these "peace-loving" mongrels. The Grand Admiral let the woman's comments slide. Though the thought seemed appealing at the moment, it was difficult not to inquire about his timeshare on Alderaan. He certainly hoped the Republic had maintained their security there with the One Sith ever so close to those territories.

"I have nothing more to add, ma'am," he gave her a pleasantly neutral look, "I trust that we will be able to convene in the future."

[member="Caid Centurion"], [member="Aurelia Saelari"], [member="Tålamod Shapochka"], [member="Caius Flavian"], [member="Alena Beswin"]

Caius Flavian

Diplomacy, perhaps one of the muckiest forms of civilized social norms. This meeting went as well as it could. Grand Admiral Vad'avi'nuruodo certainly made the move for us to finish.
As the Grand Admiral stated we hope that we can keep this dialogue between our two governments. I thank you all for even attending this meeting and we look forward to receiving your ambassador.” Throwing in my remaining two cents of this meeting.
I took a long sip from my mug of tea before raising it in a toast to the Triumvirate of the Galactic Republic.
I scribbled a few more notes down with my pencil and paper and awaited for them to disconnect from the hololine.

[member="Alena Beswin"] | [member="Aurelia Saelari"] | [member="Caid Centurion"] | [member="Davin"] | [member="Tålamod Shapochka"]

@[member="Davin"] | @[member="Caius Flavian"] | @[member="Davin"]

"I trust we will," Aurelia said neutrally, cutting the line.

With the call gone she turned to the Admiral. "May the Force help us if they ever become a real Empire again. They do seem to have the whole dictatorial package though; Chiss 'genius' admiral, ineffective royals and unreliable subordinates. Now, if there's nothing more, I am sure we both have infinitely more important things to focus on...."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom