Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Departing Nar Shaddaa

bcpzhhr.jpg

Appearance...sans hat

Rain poured down over the open docking bay and Dara hurried up the ramp before it drew shut behind her. She took off her raggedy looking jacket and dumped it somewhere on the floor.

"It smells...better...in here," she remarked, stepping into the main foyer of the starship.

The Twi'lek couldn't help but feel out of place. She stood in her last (and only) good boots, her pants had rips and patches in them and her undershirt was splattered with oil. Without her jacket, her scars were on show too. Dara stood with her arms crossed, peering towards the cockpit window ahead.

"Your friend," she said, "one of...the best cyberneticists in the g-galaxy. I've heard of many...'best' in the galaxy."

Dara drew a crushed pouch of cigarras from her pocket and lit one, she offered Sentiri the last.

"Whatever, though, I'm in no position...to argue," she twitched when she spoke, as did her Lekku.

Then, Dara presented a pack of cards and gestured to a nearby table, "time for a game?"

The Chiss woman hung her jacket on the wall rack near the entry. With the ramp closing behind them, Sentiri couldn't help but agree that the air was cleaner. The ship's life support systems cycled the filth of Nar Shaddaa out the ducts and provided something far more pleasant, if a little sterile. Sentiri was a planetside girl. There was no substitute for a crisp Csilla gust. Or the sight and sound and smell of waves crashing against Sposia cliffs. Or the comforting embrace of real gravity. Space was useful for travel between these amazing places, not much more than that.

But places like Nar Shaddaa made her long for the flight out. And she was eager to do so.

"Blackheart is no friend of mine," she said, readying the ship's systems for takeoff. She shook her head at the offered cigarra. "Thanks, I'm good. Larz Blackheart. I'd only share a drink with him if I brought the bottle... And I picked the place." In truth. The investigator only knew the man by reputation. They'd never met before but Sentiri knew plenty about one of the richest men in the galaxy and how he reportedly got there. When he had reached out to her, she had done plenty enough digging to know that he might have what she wanted. And that meant she couldn't turn down his offer. "But he is the best. And he's good on his contract. As long as you have a decent eye for legal code."

The endorsement wasn't comforting. Sentiri wasn't about to sugarcoat anything. But the Twi'Lek was right. She didn't really have a choice. Anything was better than going back to where Sentiri had plucked the woman.

A few more switches flipped and the ship's engines roared to life. "In a moment. Let me just set the autopilot and we can get off this rock." Sentiri wasn't much of a pilot. The autopilot would be sufficient enough to get them offworld. The coordinates to Denon were already plotted anyway. It was a simple matter to hit a couple of buttons and...

The repulsorlifts activated, causing the ship to gently rise. The landing gear retracted. And then the engines started moving them up and away from the surface.

Sentiri stood from the control console and moved over to the table by the Twi'Lek. The other woman looked in bad shape. Not just the scars. The woman was obviously uncomfortable. And no one would be able to go through such an ordeal without experiencing trauma. From loss of limb to the vocalizer that the woman needed to croak out what little she could say, Sentiri was impressed that the other woman could keep herself going in such a state.

"You deal," the Chiss said, not really sure what to say. She was terrible at small talk. Or finding the right thing to say. At least she had become more self-aware enough over the past several years to know what not to say. "Feel free to borrow some clothes from my closet by the way. Might be a little big, but they'll do."

[Basic Pazaak! Roll the dice for your character's turn, first to reach closest to 20 wins.]

Dara sat down and started to shuffle the deck, her unskinned metal digits rapped on the table as she did.

"You do not trust...Blackheart?" she asked, starting to deal while a slim fog of smoke circled the table from her cigarette.

She watched the Chiss curiously, either she was uncomfortable or Dara was. Or they were both made uncomfortable by one anothers awkwardness. People got like this when they saw Dara's scars. She sighed quietly. When Sentiri sat back down, she placed the cards infront of her and gestured she make the first move.

"Autopilot," she droned as the ship departed, "that is bold. Not much of a crew. You...haven't told me where we're going."

"Denon. We're going to the capital world of the Corporate Authorities. Ruled by corporate elite who call themselves 'DireX.' Of which Blackheart is a leading member." Sentiri idly looked over her cards. She never really played games all that much. Her relaxation time had been geared towards other things lately. The Chiss kept coming back to retail therapy. Despite that, she'd bought little recently; her picky eye not finding anything of value. Or maybe she was just annoyed at her lack of recent successes.

But cards were an enjoyable way to pass the time on a starship. "No. Larz Blackheart is not a trustworthy sort. As you pointed out, most in the galaxy are only out for their own gain. He is a prime example of that credo. He will use my services until he no longer needs them. I aim to be out of his reach long before that time comes. I have enough friends in high places to make that happen." Sentiri shuffled cards about in her hand before finally putting one down.

"I tend to work alone these days, though. And I'm not that much of a pilot. The ship's droidbrain is good enough, probably better than me."

Sentiri looked directly at Dara. "What about you?" Indeed, small talk was very much lost on the Chiss woman. "You must have a story of some kind. Those scars. Those cybernetics. Your knowledge in technology. And your jumpiness around that trooper. A military engineer of some kind?" Sentiri would never skirt the difficult conversations. She'd dive in head first every time. The Chiss woman was tactful to a point. But only so far.

Last edited:
"DireX?" Dara looked down at Sentiri's card, then drew her own, "not one I know."

The Twi'lek had drawn low. She looked at Sentiri again, the woman was really hunting for some backstory, Dara was bemused. It had been a long time since people asked her questions without a threat. She leaned back, putting her hands to her head. Then, that pesky left hand sparked again and she quickly put it back down on the table.

"You are...strange," she said "...I do not have friends in high places. At least you are honest, what am I, a scapegoat?"

Dara gestured at the cards with disinterest.

"I have been...a-around. You're right about...that. I was an engineer. The kind that...scrubbed...kriff off...maintenance droids."

She got on her feet and watched the ship pull out of hyperspace. From one urban cityscape, to another. Maybe this one was cleaner or something. The starships in the sector were a little glossier than the junk that hovered around Nar Shaddaa.

"Who isn't jumpy around troopers? My life means nothing to them."

Dara could hear the incoming transmission from Denon, asking confirmation of the ship's intentions. She disappeared into Sentiri's quarters in search of clothes. Pulling off her undershirt, and taking a new coat, she called back out to Sentiri. "Used to be a decent slicer. That's what you mean, right? Technology?"

The Twi'lek came back out sporting a shiny bomber jacket. It didn't even have any oil on. Dara mockingly modelled Sentiri's own clothes back to her. She put out her cigarette and looked Sentiri up and down. "What about your scars?"

Last edited:
The investigator couldn't help herself. Fishing for information was part of her nature, let alone what made her a good investigator. But the Twi'Lek woman didn't seem to mind too much, even if some of her responses came back prickly. But Sentiri attributed that to the woman's difficulty to trust. Perhaps, the more they conversed, maybe the easier the conversation would become. Trust was something gained, after all, not freely given.

Sentiri cracked a smirk. "It's far easier to be honest. I can spend less time thinking about things that aren't real and more time thinking about the truth. I've spent enough time undercover to find honesty to be a relief." Sentiri shrugged. "I don't need a scapegoat. And hopefully by the time I relieve Blackheart of my services, you will be fixed up enough to be able to sidestep any troubles he might send your way. Though I don't anticipate him wasting much effort."

She wasn't sure how to feel about the Twi'Lek woman's admittance to being a maintenance worker rather than an engineer. Perhaps the woman was just being cynical. The Chiss didn't yet have a good enough read. Only time would tell if this gambit worked. For the moment, Sentiri just ignored the comment.

"I suppose I'm not bother by troopers as I'm just used to them. They are trained to become tools. They don't act without an order. Though certainly the vigilantes and washouts are ones to watch."

As the conversation moved away from the card game, Sentiri set her hand down. When the woman called out that she had been a slicer, that put the investigator's mind at ease. There's always a use for someone capable of that kind of thing. She called back in response. "Any kind of technological expertise will be useful. His jobs almost always involve some highly technological aspects." The Twi'Lek came out from Sentiri's quarters sporting a new outfit. Cynical though the modeling was, Sentiri still gave the woman an approving nod. Appearances were everything. "The more resources I have at my disposal, the better," Sentiri said, finishing her thought.

She cocked her head to the side, not immediately grasping the metaphor that the Twi'Lek used. Then, understanding, she leaned back. As she had said, honesty was an important factor to Sentiri. But there was no point in giving a complete history. Just what was needed to know. "You mean my past? The most relevant one is my motivation for this job. Blackheart has information I need about a woman, Rhéala. She was a business partner. Best friend. ...Lover. But she vanished. I'm trying to find her. Blackheart says he has information. I take the position he's offering me. He gets me my info."

Sentiri stood from the table and returned to the cockpit. "We'll land near an apartment I set up for myself. The meeting with Blackheart is tomorrow."

Dara nodded, "good. I am t-tired of sleeping at h-hostels. Or being...p-paid to sleep, somewhere."

"Good to know I am...n-not worth Blackheart's resources. Hah!" she looked out to the cityscape arriving below, "I wonder if he will have as many questions...as you."

As they neared the apartment, Dara felt at ease. "Do not worry. I like questions. My scars are nothing...interes-inte...there was a chemical inci...accident."

"All troopers are tools. You said it, not me," she grinned, hoping the Chiss might miss out on that particular slight against authority, "so we're tracking down your ex. Interesting. Is she blue, like you? M-maybe she w-went back to your homeworld. I heard of that place..it is not easy to get t-to."

The cityscape sprawled everywhere. The Chiss woman was well-traveled, having made stops all over the galaxy. She'd been on plenty of ecumenopoli. From Coruscant to Terminus they all had the same general features. Skyscrapers all along the horizon when the horizon could be seen. Otherwise, at street level, there were mazes of streets and walkways and underpasses and tunnels where the sky was just a distant idea. A mass of air traffic, some orderly, some amorphous, filled the skies like so many flies. And the streets themselves were crowded with a nearly uncountable number of beings of all shapes and sizes and creeds. Nothing about an ecumenopolis was small or understated or subtle.

Yet each still managed to have a unique-ness. There were always elements that gave a planet a culture all its own, no different than how a geographical landscape provided that same cultural backdrop to a agrarian planet.

For Denon, a play of light seemed to be a main cultural element. From the air, as Sentiri's ship approached her designated landing pad, she could see massive displays everywhere. Some were holographic, others projected, others on stationary or moving screens. Light fixtures danced with brilliant arrays of color. The amount of visual input was overwhelming to the point of overload. Upon closer inspection, nearly all of the displays were some sort of advertisement. And Sentiri was immediately faced with just how consumer-oriented Denon was. No doubt tourist traps were everywhere and the locals congregated in places where they could shut out all of the corporate noise. Those who dwelled in the light of the Authority were no doubt the few who could afford the lifestyle awarded only to the most opportunistic.

Nothing about the view gave Sentiri much hope for the planet's future. Still, from a distance, and without context, the colors and lights were aesthetically pleasing.

The ship banked and pulled into a closed bay that Sentiri had prearranged. The two women then disembarked from and Sentiri led the way through the streets. The walk from the bay to her apartment wasn't far. She listened to the Twi'Lek as they walked along. The Chiss nodded her understanding. She remembered be out on her own, what it was like to try and find a place to sleep when she had nothing. She had leapt at the chance to have a proper bed when the First Order had first recruited her as an intelligence operative. Of course, she also remembered what it was like to not be worth someone's resources. That had changed after becoming the Director of that same Intelligence Bureau. Now she was probably too worth someone's time.

"I'm tracking down my... friend," Sentiri stressed. But she caught herself. "Although, I would welcome your help. That's not the primary job though, so I'll have to focus on pursuing those leads on my own time." The woman hadn't talked about Rhé to anyone like this in a long time. The woman didn't come up in conversations, at least not talking about their former relationship. "And no. She's human. I was the one who left for Csilla. We've been apart for... some time."

The apartment building was comparatively bland, unadorned durasteel. They rose up to a middle floor through more bland hallways until they reached an off-white door. "Here we are," Sentiri said as she keyed the entrance with her wristwatch. The door latch clicked and slid open. The apartment was sparsely furnished with appliances, a table and chairs, and a couch. But otherwise the space was quite spartan. "Make yourself at home. I didn't anticipate having a guest so there's only one bedroom. Couch looks decent enough though."

Dara winced at the onslaught of dazzling advertisements. She did not want the latest gadget, nor could she afford it. There was however a very inticing leg of fried Nuna. Then, it flashed a dozen different news bulletins. It was all so fast her Lekku twitched with discomfot. That fried Nuna though...she was thinking about it.

"Fancy," she said, inspecting the apartment.

She thought it was cold and clinical. But, she didn't say that. It wasn't like Dara had a sense of style herself.

"We'll find her," Dara reassured Sentiri, "goodnight, then."

Dara flopped comfortably onto the couch, "and, t-thank you."

The following morning, Dara woke up bright and early. She was glowing with a new sense of purpose, it had been a long time since the Twi'lek had felt this way. She was in the kitchen, helping herself to a pot of caf. There was Jizz music playing, accompanied by the blue hue of a holographic band. She was fiddling with a datapad, probably Sentiri's. Dara had hacked it and was watching security footage of a nearby street.

Sentiri gave her best smile at Dara's reassurance. "You're welcome. Good night."

The Chiss woman entered the bedroom and the door closed behind her. The furnishings were just as sparse as the rest of the apartment. A closet, a bed that didn't even have sheets, and a simple nightstand. The overhead light was on a dimmer, at least. Thumbing the wall panel, Sentiri lowered the light to a faint glow. She shucked her jacket on the floor and looked out the apartment viewport at the cityscape beyond. The view wasn't ideal. Mostly, she could only make out neighboring skyscrapers all fitted with advertisements and glowing lights. Time of day was nearly impossible to determine. Sentiri felt fortunate that she had spent enough time stationed aboard starships to have trained her body to fall asleep under manufactured circumstances.

The window had its own control panel. The panel had inputs for a variety of settings and, having seen similar ones in the past, Sentiri imagined that it could display a whole variety of images if she desired. She wasn't so whimsical. Thumbing that panel, she simply turned the window into an opaque panel, shutting out all the assaulting imagery from outside the apartment. Exhausted, she set herself down on the bed. No more thoughts came to her that night as she quickly lost consciousness and faded into a dreamless sleep.

***​

Without an audio or visual alarm set, Sentiri wasn't sure how long she slept. But she was certain she got more than intended. When she stirred, she worked out a kink in her neck that was most definitely the result of sleeping without proper support. The second order of business was finishing the furnishings of the apartment. From basic amenities and utilities to the more advanced things she would need to work independently of CorpSec and their prying eyes. She'd also have to transfer a chunk of her wardrobe over from her freighter... Or just buy a new one.

Curse Marzena for turning the operative into a shop-a-holic. Sentiri was fortunate she had the credits to buy without too many limits. Still. The impulse was not always a helpful one. But maybe some retail therapy would distract her from other thoughts while she set herself up on Denon.

Sentiri exited the bedroom to the smell of caf and the sight of Dara entertaining herself with one of Sentiri's datapads. They both were wearing their clothes from the day before and Sentiri wasn't all that comfortable with that. She checked her chrono though and noted that there wasn't all that much time until her scheduled meeting with Blackheart. "Good morning. Ready to meet the boss? He's waiting for me at his office in the Capitol District. Both the political and economic center of Denon." She groggily poured herself some caf into one of the two mugs left behind by the prior tenants. Or provided by the apartment management, the Chiss woman wasn't sure. "The meeting is in an hour. And it'll take us the better part of 45 minutes to get there by public transit." She quickly gulped down the caf, hoping a swift rush of caffeine will kick her into action.

"Let's go." As they walked along, Sentiri tried kicking up a conversation. "Read anything interesting on the pad?"

Dara was disappointed. Public transport? I thought this lady was fancy. Still, she walked with Sentiri and handed her datapad back.

"Could be useful," she said, pointing to the security footage she'd managed to open up. There were a few droid security patrols bothering a homeless looking Aqualish somewhere else across Denon. "Give me s-some time, and I can g-get you into more secure systems. Probably."

On the repulsor train, Dara watched the city go by. She was quiet for most of the journey, partly because her vocabulator hadn't quite loosened up yet and otherwise just to take in the scenery. Her life had changed course dramatically in the space of a few days. She spotted a shimmering speeder parked up nearby. The kind that screamed 'frack you' money.

In the train, she overheard reports of the New Imperial invasion on Bastion. She peered up to the holoscreen to see a mess of fire and flames.

"They destroy worlds...we take the train," she said quietly to herself.

The shuttle wasn't too crowded, and the two women didn't have to struggle to find a place to sit. Many other beings of many backgrounds shared the route from the residential district towards the economic centers of Denon's primary business headquarters. Most seemed dressed for work, wearing various dull-colored uniforms signifying them as being a part of some company or other. A few appeared to belong to the Corporate Security force that the Authorities of Denon maintained as their police guard. An appointment within a division of CorpSec was the job Larz Blackheart had offered to Sentiri. Despite having his own personal mercenary group, having a liaison inside CorpSec was his way of having a controlling factor within an executive power outside of his own influence. Sentiri knew that she was being used as a power play. But as long as Blackheart maintained his end of their bargain, she didn't care.

The city flew by as the airshuttle lumbered through traffic. The transit was slow going as the vehicle stopped several times along the route to pick up and drop off other passengers. And while Sentiri might have taken the time as an opportunity to take in her new environment, there really wasn't all that much to observe. Building after towering building passed by, each littered with advertisements. Despite the colorful displays, the Chiss woman quickly found the sensory overload to be as monotonous as endless fields of grass. She hoped ground level would be slightly more interesting; or that there were specific locations that held her interest. But she doubted that she would want to stick around the planet any longer than necessary.

The Twi'Lek at her side seemed content to take the ride in silence, muttering to herself a few times. Sentiri didn't disturb the woman. Her own mind wandered as she tried to find any interest in the surrounding city, but nothing stuck. Her stomach grumbled and she regretted oversleeping. Blackheart didn't seem the type to offer a meal while they chatted. With luck, their meeting would go quickly and breakfast could be found nearby.

Three-quarters of an hour later, the airshuttle slowed and came to the stop where they needed to disembark. Sentiri stood. "Here we are. The 'pentad.' When the Corporate Authorities of Denon gained power from the previous government, the five leading members of the Authorities set up an economic center for them to have an area where they could easily convene. So they each setup a local office and connected them all with a central courtyard and tower." The clearing where they had been deposited by the shuttle was the courtyard space. Rare glimpses of plant-life dotted duracrete and durasteel landings and platforms with parsed out benches and tables. Five entirely unique buildings rose around the courtyard. But the elevation of the courtyard itself gave the impression that they were quite high up in the air. The tops of other skyscrapers could be seen peeking above the courtyard's horizon in every direction. "The central building is below the courtyard," Sentiri said, indicating lifts towards the center of the clearing that had nowhere to go but down.

The Chiss navigated them over to a sleek, black-glass building. The panels were entirely opaque, and the way it curved upwards made the structure seem like it absorbed the space around itself. The architecture wasn't inviting, and yet, somehow, the tower had a gravity that was attractive.

Sliding doors silently opened and they entered into a space much darker than most other lobbies Sentiri had ever seen. A secretary, dressed in a black uniform with electric yellow and green highlights, greeted them. "Welcome. Director Blackheart is expecting you in the conference room." Instead of indicating a room or direction with a physical gesture, alternating white lights flashed down a corridor in a repeating succession. Sentiri got the hint they were expected to follow the lights and moved on through the building. Everything was barely lit. The building seemed to lack windows despite all the glass paneling on the outside structure. The flashing lights were the only indication that they were moving forward, but the corridor and lack of defining features made walking through the space deceptive. Knowing what little she did about Blackheart, Sentiri could easily assume that the optical illusion was intentional. After following the corridor for a difficult-to-determine distance, they inevitably arrived at a door that had a lightly glowing frame. The frame pulsed in a faint blue hue and Sentiri continued to gather the hint to continue. Approaching the door caused it to open.

Inside, alone, sat Larz Blackheart.

Dara had never seen anything like it.
"Pentad?" she repeated, staring up and around the place.

This wasn't a backwater crime syndicate operating out of a crumbling building. These were the big leagues, Dara thought. Although she was dressed in Sentiri's clothes, she felt a sharp sense of shame over just how insignificant she was to these people. A door opened and Dara found herself with Sentiri in a conference room. It was populated by one man. Not even a security detail, apparently. Dara was used to meeting mobsters that had weequay or gamorreans ready to gun her down if she misspoke. This seemed different.

"So, you must be...Larz Blackheart?" she said trying to disguise her sense of awe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom