Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Deja Brew

Months passed seamlessly since Cora had joined the Order. The soft, elegant form of her body was gradually becoming leaner with muscle, bruised and even scarred in certain areas that tended to draw the impact of combat. The aristocrat had learned to get by with more of a spartan lifestyle than she'd been used to—though not without giving up some of the luxuries of her stately upbringing.

She was still a Lady, after all.

Just bordering the outdoor training grounds, the temple's gardens were a well-manicured, serene venue. Some Jedi liked to sit here and mediate with the earth steady beneath them and the breeze against their skin.

Cora preferred to take tea in the gardens. Situated next to a small, round table wrought artfully in some sort of weather-proofed metal, the blonde reclined in her chair with well-bred posture. Back straight, she raised a delicate-looking tea cup to her lips and took a dainty sip of the amber liquid.

On the surface of the table were several items; an ornate tea pot from Ukatis and several matching cups and saucers. In her lap was something of a novelty—a well-worn paperback book from her childhood.

Among the fresh air and flora, the blonde Padawan sipped her tea, read her novel, and enjoyed her reprieve from training and battle.

The Jedi could forge her into a war machine, but they would not be able to strip Cora of her more refined sensibilities.

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ

jand_spacer_new1.png

It wasn't often that Jand found himself in the Jedi Temple gardens.

His was usually the training halls, the mission briefing rooms, or his personal quarters that had slowly become less and less familiar. Still, the day had taken him to the less typical area of the large temple, as the Padawan sought out some particulars, which only the flora could provide. From what Jand understood, some herbs and plants had been used in the past for healing or medicinal purposes, and the notion had struck the Nagai that those resources could prove useful on the Maw-Alliance frontline; and in a war, every resource was vital, and if some herbal mixes could alleviate the strain on bacta or medical supplies...

Well.

As the pale-skinned Padawan walked through the garden area, he grew aware of a familiar presence, and his gray eyes turned in that direction. Several more steps revealed a corner, which revealed Corazona, and Jand took a moment to observe the situation. The other Jedi sat at a metal table, tea within arms reach, and a physical book in hand. It had been a time since the pair had seen one another, which had not been a fact Jand had been keenly aware of, though seeing the blonde sentient did bring back some previous interactions to mind.

But, those interactions were not as strong as they had been in the past.

"Corazona," Jand said as he walked into the space, dressed in his usual Jedi robes. "It has been a long time."

Between the pair, there had been some changes. Corazona was leaner, her demeanor seemed less airy, and there were hints of faint scars; and for his part, Jand was taller, broader, his voice lower and his own scars visible on his stronger features. It was amazing what a number of months could do, especially when involved in a consistent and seemingly never-ending war...

"Are you studying a Jedi tome?"

"Oh, General!" Consuela cried out, her heavy bosom heaving like a stormy ocean as her petticoats rustled to the ground—

Absolutely engrossed by the printed words on the page, Cora lifted a delicate tea cup to her lips. She'd read the novel cover to cover about a dozen times, yet there was still something enticing in the anticipation of knowing exactly what came next.

Cora did not see this new plot twist coming.

Someone called her name, and the imaginary steamy scene between Consuela the poor but beautiful singer, and the handsome but gruff General Olsom evaporated into thin air. For her part, Cora was properly startled; her head snapped upwards as she choked on her tea. With eyes wide and a hand at her lips, she attempted to clear her throat while staring down whoever dared to agitate her back to reality.

The noble managed to swallow thickly, placing the tea cup down gingerly on the table. A grimace crinkled her face, then loosened quickly in a stupor as she came face to face with the last sentient she'd expected to see in the gardens.

Jand Talo.

Jand Talo?

Cora's gaze tightened on the Nagai. When they'd trained together months ago, he'd been shorter. Lankier. More childlike in appearance, but he'd still beaten her soundly. Time had certainly done a number on him, but even the added height, muscularity, and deepened voice couldn't detract from the familiarity of his steely, unimpressed gaze. Perhaps it had been the content of her book, but one thought surfaced to the forefront of her mind:

Oh no he's hot.

Coughing delicately into her fist again, Cora snapped the book shut and flipped it over so that the cover would not be visible.

"Jand." She responded with forced evenness. "It has been a long time…indeed. Yes."

His question had her head tilting to the side. "Tome? Ah." Her gaze swept down the book, cheeks heating briefly in embarrassment. "No, this is a novel from my childhood. I'm quite fond of the…story."

Sliding the book into her lap so that it would be less visible and hopefully no longer the subject of conversation, she gestured widely with an arm.

"It has certainly been some time, Jand." She remarked with more sincerity. "I've heard that you and Master Vanagor have been away fighting Maw remnants along the border. I'm glad to see that you've returned to us. You look…" She offered him a measured, weary smile.

"…like you've been through quite a lot."

Now she motioned to the chair in front of her.

"Would you like to join me for tea? I've a lovely blend of premium herbs from Ukatis."

Jand Talo Jand Talo

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ

jand_spacer_new1.png

The surprise on Corazona's face was evident.

Jand watched as the other Padawan seemed to have difficulty with her tea, though it passed quickly, and soon the pair looked at one another. For his part, the Nagai could see the changes in Corazona's physicality, and it made him consider his previous thoughts and assumptions, as she clearly had taken training seriously. That was good, it was beneficial to both her and the Jedi Order.

She looks...--

Jand's thought was interrupted, as the other spoke.

"Oh?" the Nagai responded, as he cleared his throat. "A novel from your childhood? I see."

Though Jand couldn't, not really, as the book had been buried against Corazona's lap. Perhaps it was personal, something that was important to her, something sentimental. However, the topic changed, as the other mentioned what she had heard, about the warring to the north-west of the galaxy. There was even a pause, as she looked him over, though Jand could only assume with some degree of scrutiny...

"Yes, that is correct," Jand nodded, as he raised his chin. "The Maw-Alliance war continues, both Master Vanagor and I have been heavily involved in most combat on the border. I was fortunate enough to be given leave, to return to the temple, so I could have some reprieve and resupply my personal stocks."

Jand motioned to himself.

"I required larger robes and will be taking other, much needed, resources back with me."

There was an offer to join Corazona for tea.

Jand hesitated.

"Very well," he said finally, as he approached and indicated chair and sat. "I try to experience more culture from unknown worlds, so sharing some of your herbal tea should expand my knowledge and understanding of your people."

Seated, Jand looked toward the book again, before he glanced back to Corazona directly.

"You have changed. You look strong, toned, and have some scars. Displaying combat experience is regarded as striking in my culture... they suit you, and are very becoming."

Jand raised an eyebrow.

"I have also heard you are Master Noble's Padawan? A very high honor, one that I admit to have thought about in the past. Are your lessons going well?"

Cora nodded along. "I see. You've been there for several months now, yes?" It was a rough guess at best, based on the timing of their last—first, really—meeting, and the events that had passed since then. Xa Fel, Selvaris, and countless other battles had become hallmarks of her timeline, as they did for all Jedi.

The teacup found her lips as Jand mentioned needing larger robes. Instead of sputtering or choking on her drink, the blonde Padawan simply hummed in response.

A noticeable amount of surprise touched her features when Jand acquiesced. The invitation to tea, however genuine, had been made out of politeness as Cora had been certain that the Nagai would not be interested. She'd been wrong.

The teacup was placed back down onto the little round table's surface, and Cora busied herself by retrieving a second cup from a stack of three. It was good manners, she believed, to bring several cups with her each time she took tea in the gardens on the off chance that an opportunity for company would appear. It usually didn't.

Jand's comment about her features—or more specifically, the increased tone of her form and the faint scars marring her skin—was met with more visible surprise. Shock, even. Delicate blonde brows arched at the same time her hand paused with a finger looped around the handle of a cup. Cora studied Jand's face for a few, drawn-out moments, trying to pick out any hints of mockery.

becoming? Oh,

A pink flush settled across her cheeks, dusting the bridge of her nose as Cora returned to motion.

"That's right, your people hold combat in high esteem, don't they?" She held the ornate teapot carefully while pouring a a steady stream of deep amber liquid into the teacup. No one had ever commented on the scars she'd acquired, and certainly no one had ever complimentedthem. It was highly unusual for a Ukatian noblewoman to bear marks of battle, and they certainly weren't considered beautifying in any aspect.

She placed the fragile cup in front of Jand. Wisps of steam curled lazily from the surface. A mix of herbs and medicinal plants grown on her home world, the blend had an earthy, mellow taste.

"Careful, it's a bit hot."

Settling back into her chair, she fixed her guest with a look of polite curiosity. Idly, one hand retreated to the side of her neck, fingers rubbing at a thin burn mark received from a glancing saber blow.

"Yes, I was quite surprised that Master Noble selected me as one of her students. My father was pleased as well." Her gaze swept down to her own cup, then back to Jand. "I believe that my lessons are going well. There's far more to being a Jedi than I'd ever imagined—that is, the more I learn, the more I realize that there's so much that I don't yet know."

In truth, Valery was slowly becoming something of a mother figure to Cora. Her own biological mother, while still alive, was particularly frail and often unavailable to her children.

"It's nice," She admitted with a small, earnest smile. "Outside of training, I like spending time with Master Noble and her family. Her daughter, Vera, is quite energetic. She reminds me of my siblings back home." There was an unmistakable fondness with which she spoke.

"Do you have any brothers or sisters, Jand?"

Jand Talo Jand Talo

Last edited:
ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ
jand_spacer_new1.png

"Yes, along the Maw-Alliance frontline," Jand confirmed with a nod. "The fighting has been endless, but I believe the Jedi are making progress."

The war was taking a toll, there was no denying that. Yet, for every step forward the Mawites made, the Alliance was able to push them back two. The shift in momentum throughout that war-torn border was subtle, but there was no doubt the Jedi and Alliance were gaining the upperhand. And if it meant fighting for another several months, or years, it matter little to Jand.

"Yes, my culture believes very strongly in honor duels, and scars are part of that recognition," Jand said as he looked to Corazona, when she mentioned the tea. "It is fine. It smells pleasant."

Jand took a sip, it was interesting. He wasn't typically one for tea, but he didn't find the herbs or spices offensive, it was like warmed water with a flowery aroma and after taste. Corazona touched a burn on her neck, which Jand glanced to, but otherwise remained quiet about, as the other started to speak about becoming Master Noble's student.

There was a moment of glare in Jand's eyes, but it passed.

Master Vanagor was a highly skilled and capable Jedi Master, who - in Jand's mind - could provide more combative experience, which suited his needs and wants for learning. The Force was still a distant friend, when it came to calling on it or using it, but that could be overcome with developed combative abilities.

"I have met Vera, yes," the Padawan scoffed as he sipped the tea. "Master Noble's offspring is certainly energetic, to say the least. I wonder how far the child will go within the Jedi Order, or if she will seek her own path outside of it... it is difficult to say."

Jand hadn't been aware of Corazona having siblings. Or maybe he had, it was hard to recall after such a long stretch on the frontline.

"I do, yes, I have two younger brothers and a sister," Jand said as he considered, it had been a while since he had spoken to them or seen them, and wondered briefly how they might have changed. "They are on Saijo with my parents."

Jand didn't share their names.

"You have always seemed the social sort. I have been away for a while, do you know much of the goings-on of the temple and its Jedi recently?"

"Honor duels? Ah, we have something similar on Ukatis. Usually they're fought between noblemen to settle disputes. Sometimes the outcomes can be rather…grim."

A flicker of surprise sparked in blue eyes when Jand mentioned his siblings. Guarded as he seemed, perhaps Cora was startled that he'd answered at all.

"You're an older brother, then—that's wonderful! I myself am the eldest of eight."

Cora adored being an older sister. For better or worse, she thought of herself as a protector of the Ascania brood. There was barely a year between herself and her brother Dominick, and he'd towered over her since his thirteenth year, but she'd always consider him her little brother. Lately, to his chagrin.

She missed them all dearly, but had enough sense not to pose that question to Jand.

"Hm?"

Lowering the teacup from her lips, she looked to the Nagai with curiosity at his query. A slow smile started to curve her lips.

"I hadn't pegged you for someone interested in gossip, Jand." She trawled teasingly, placing a hand demurely over her mouth. Cora placed the cup back into a fragile, hand-painted saucer and shifted her eyes upward to gather her thoughts.

"Let's see…there have been a number of Knightings. Silas Westgard, and one of the Sal-Sorens I believe. Master Kahlil has been working on purifying a sithspawn. It was a pretty well publicized even with a reporter and everything. Oh! And Master Noble is pregnant—with triplets! Can you imagine, three more Veras running around?"

She couldn't help but giggle, clearly amused as she was pleased with the latest in Noble developments.

Jand Talo Jand Talo

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ

"Every honor duel on Saijo, or in Nagai culture, is to the death," Jand said simply, as he sipped the tea. It was just another topic for him, the killing. "Defeating an opponent brings great social status and acclaim to a clan. Especially if that clan is lower as the victor."

When Corazona exclaimed surprise at Jand's siblings, he made a wry face. He didn't often speak about his clan, or his immediate family, and perhaps had jumped the proverbial blaster by doing so this time. There had always been a want for some disconnect between his Nagai and Jedi lives, even if he ultimately had to find a suitable way for them to entwine and exist - without driving him mad.

"Yes, I suppose I am," the Padawan nodded. "And you have seven other siblings? That sounds... like a lot."

Especially if they were all like Corazona.

"Sadly, gossip tends to circulate quickly in the temple, so it remains a valid form of initial information gathering," Jand was quick to clarify, as he scowled and stared at Corazona. "I try to avoid it whenever I can, but I find myself requiring some... rumors, if I am to utilize my time away from the frontline effectively."

Jand took another mouthful of the hot tea, as he suppressed a grunt.

He listened.

"Silas is a knight, hm? Interesting. Though I admit I am not surprised, he seemed competent enough - as long as it didn't involve his fists. I am not familiar with the Sal-Sorens, are there many of them? As for the sithspawn, I wonder why Master Kahlil is bothering... it would be best to put the creature down, to free it of the suffering and connection to the dark side."

And then the final part...

"Triplets? I... I do not even know what to say."

Four Veras.

Jand took another mouthful of the scolding tea.

"Speaking of gossip, I have heard that your homeworld - Ukatis - intends to join the Alliance. How go those efforts?"

"To the death? My goodness." Cora wrinkled her nose. "That is quite grisly. Is that the only way for Nagai to move upward in your society?"

Jand's combat readiness made a little more sense now. Duels on Ukatis weren't entirely uncommon, but still generally limited to the upper echelons. Social mobility was more tied to land holdings, earnings, and of course, knowing the right people.

At the mention of the Ascania brood being large, Cora simply chuckled fondly and sipped delicately from her cup. It was a comment she was used to receiving.

A thin blonde brow arched at the concept of Silas not using his fists. There was a story there, she was certain.

"I'm afraid I'm not particularly familiar with the Sal-Soren family, but their name does hold some level of renown. I believe it was Briana Sal-Soren who was knighted—trained by Master Valery Noble."

A frown tilted her lips—not just because she'd managed to miss the Knighting—but because she hadn't found the time to get to know one of her own Master's students. Something that the social butterfly in her would have to rectify.

Jand's disbelief at Valery bearing triplets was amusing enough for a sly little smile to emerge from behind the rim of the tea cup. And yet, Cora nearly spit the amber liquid at Jand at his next query.

Ukatis.

Either she'd been pointedly avoiding what what perhaps the juiciest bit of temple gossip, or Cora had been actively trying to burn it from her mind. A free hand pressed to her lips, and she swallowed down the tea.

"Ah, that-" She couldn't hold back a wince. "-could have gone better." Cora fitted her cup back into its saucer, folded her hands in her lap atop her book, and braced herself for another wave of judgement.

"Not long ago, the Alliance was invited to Ukatis to attend a number of events that would help formalize this deal. One of those events happened to be the engagement party of Prince Horace of Ukatis to…myself."

It was a little easier to talk about if Cora removed herself from the situation entirely, and acted as if she were talking about someone else.

"I had left for Ukatis about a week ahead of the Alliance delegation. Once I arrived, my father informed me of my…status." She waved a hand vaguely. "Arraigned marriages are not uncommon on Ukatis, but typically the process is more lengthly and involves interviewing suitors and a courtship period. But ah- well, I’m getting ahead of myself. The point is, this was sudden and the Alliance didn't know about my engagement until the party. I'll admit that I was not particularly pleased with the situation myself, but many Alliance personnel were also upset."

Her hands had unclasped themselves by this point, fingers twisting into the fabric of her pants.

"In short, the event ended with a chandelier crash, a rampaging droid, Starlin Rand's arrest, and Master Kahlil striking my father."

Details, details. Canting her head to the side for a moment, Cora exhaled a slow breath, turned to Jand, and smiled politely.

"Political talks were extended for another few weeks. Concessions were made on both sides, but it has been quite the diplomatic…incident."

Jand Talo Jand Talo

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ

"Honor duels are the simplest and most effective method, yes," Jand said with a nod. "There are bonding opportunities, where clans can merge fully or partially, with the lesser clan having potential of becoming a higher circle status. Duels are easier, though, yes."

Jand listened as Corazona spoke of the Sal-Soren family, how one of their number had been promoted, and that caused him to consider for a moment. Many other Jedi were being promoted, true, and while Jand didn't see an intrinsic value in a title, he did wonder how his progress was seen by others - that certainly held some consideration. Yet, Corazona seemed to feel discomfort at the mention of Ukatis.

That took precedence to idle thought, as Jand listened and sipped the tea.

"Oh, so you are sworn to another?" the Padawan raised his eyebrows. That was new. "I was not been aware. And to a Prince of your world? That seems to imply some degree of stature, yes?"

Perhaps it was the Nagai in Jand, but he could see being royalty as similar to being in a first circle clan. That said, unlike Corazona's past mannerisms, the Nagai did not laud it over others... though, admittedly, it seemed to Jand that Corazona's time within the Jedi Order had stemmed some of that pompous and superior attitude.

That was a good thing for her.

"So you were informed a week prior? That seems short by most standards," Jand muttered as he furrowed his black eyebrows. "And that gathering sounds like... an interesting incident. I may have to seek out the Alliance report and follow up - depending on how soon I am required back on the frontline, of course."

The sequence of chaotic events almost sounded comical, were it not a potentially damning diplomatic incident, though it seemed things had worked out. Barely. There seemed to be no real indication that Ukatis sought to remove itself from any agreements, anyway, not according to Corazona. While Jand did not know the droid or Starlin Rand, he did know the other...

"Why did Master Kahlil strike your father?"

Sworn to another. That was a benign way of putting things, Cora thought bitterly. Still, she fixed Jand with a weary smile.

"It happened only recently. It is a great honor to marry into the royal family, and despite the inopportune timing, my father would've been foolish to refuse this proposal."

It was all technically true, and Cora found herself falling back on aristocratic speech patterns to discuss what was a deeply unpleasant topic for her. She didn't yet know it, but she and Jand shared a similar protectiveness over their respective families and customs.

"The celebration was a mess." She admitted. "In truth, I should've reined in my emotions better. I believe that I was able to keep up a pleasant outward appearance, but the Jedi present could feel my...discomfort."

Cora found herself sounding out her thought as it came to her, a flush of embarrassment coloring her cheeks as she acknowledged her part in the fault.

Lips pressed to the teacup hid her wince at the mention of the spat that had taken place on the balcony.

"The Masters Noble...disagree with the disciplinary methods of my father."

There was a tone of finality to her statement. Cora's father, and the bruises he often left her with, were a sore subject for the Padawan. She simply left it at that and sought to shift the conversation elsewhere while they were on the subject of family.

"You mentioned that winning honor duels can shift a Nagai clan's rank—is that what circles are? A hierarchy of families?"

Jand Talo Jand Talo

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ

"Yes, you seem to place a lot of emphasis on nobility," Jand said with a wry expression, as he glanced to Corazona over the cup. "I recall."

That brought a brief recollection of their first meeting, back in a temple training room, which had started a rocky relationship - to say the least. Yet, that was not the focus, and most of that had been put behind Jand, which caused him to refocus on the topic of the celebration.

"You are not responsible for other sentients' emotions," the Padawan said slowly, one eyebrow raised. "Why would you anticipate the need for that? A Jedi, especially a Master, should be in control, most - if not all - of the time... so yes, that does make me curious."

Jand wondered if maybe there had been a Sith present, undermining the event.

Curious, indeed.

When Corazona mentioned her father's disciplinary methods, in a vague and uninformative way, it caused the Nagai to wonder. For someone who usually spoke at great length, the fact the blonde humanoid was so tight-lipped about the circumstance was suspicious. Perhaps there was more to be learned, especially if it could explain why a Jedi Master struck the parent, though Jand was capable of reading between lines.

"On Saijo, Nagai parents train their children in swordsmanship with strict adherence to dueling fundamentals and lessons," Jand began, before he sipped the tea. "Often, the degree of discipline and training determines whether a Nagai survives or dies. My own childhood, as the eldest of a First Circle clan, was filled with endless lessons and many, many injuries... but I do not begrudge my parents for that, they were doing what any Nagai family would, by ensuring my survival in a combative culture.

"And I would not allow anyone, not even the Jedi, to tell me my upbringing was wrong."

Jand looked to Corazona, gray eyes unflinching.

"Was this your circumstance and the Jedi overstepped? Or is your parent at fault?"

Cora listened as Jand spoke of his martial upbringing, eyes softening with unnecessary sympathy at his description of harsh Nagai methods. At their first meeting, he'd been rather cold towards her and Cora couldn't discern if he was reacting to something about the way she carried herself, if it was simply his nature.

Whichever it had been, Jand seemed more conversational now and she appreciated that.

When he posed a question, Cora nearly choked on her tea. A wide-eyed look of disbelief shone for a moment before the creases of her face softened into an expression more fixed and refined. The young noblewoman cleared her throat gently and took a few moments to think on how to respond to such a direct question.

"That does sound awfully harsh. I am not sure that I would've survived in a place where combat prowess is prized above all else."

Her faint smile told him that it was meant to inject a bit of humor into their conversation, even if it didn't reach her eyes. Cora now understood that Jand's parents had put him through brutal training for survival, and he was asking if her father's methods had a similar reasoning behind them.

That thought caused the hairs at the back of her neck to prickle uncomfortably.

"That is not for me to decide." Came her answer, light and breezy enough to betray how heavily it weighed on her heart. "Ukatian noblewomen are subservient to their fathers—and eventually, their husbands. Even if my father missteps, it does not matter who thinks he is right or wrong."

Like a perfect Lady, Cora buried her discomfort with the conversation beneath layers of decorum and raised the tea cup to her lips.

Jand Talo Jand Talo

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom