Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deep in the black...

He wasn't exactly quick to leave the bunk. Yeah, he had heard what went down on 'Shaddaa between the Doc and Vee. Couldn't say it bothered him much, what with the doc no longer breathing. He was thankful he'd done some good work, but much beyond that, he couldn't say. The doctor -- Bernie -- had been a mercenary, hippocratic oath be damned. And he had fracked with the wrong girl, one time too many. Far as Sate was concerned, he got what was coming.

See -- this was the weird thing. After the doc had been aerated with a few new holes, the Dustie realized how tired he was. Sure, he had passed out a bunch over the last couple of days, but straining to remain awake and fighting off injury and thuggery to stay alive was hard work. Just try it someday. Actually, don't. Not if you don't have to. So, finding himself alone with the comfort of hyperspace travel and the soft motion of the ship beneath him, he had fallen into a peaceful sleep, waking a few hours later, cold in the deep black. All was quiet on the ship, and when he rose, he found the bacta patches dry and peeling, as was their intended purpose when the bacta had been absorbed and the accelerated healing completed.

Peeling the patches from his arms, face, neck and shoulders, he padded softly to the door to the cabin and shut it, removing the rags he had been wearing and tossed them in the refuse incinerator, along with the remains of the bacta patches. Stepping into the 'fresher, he turned on the overhead light and looked at himself in the mirror. There was a little new scar tissue at the corner of his left eye -- not bad considering the orbital bone had been broken. The fresh, pink skin on much of the left side of his face was devoid of beard growth, standing in contrast to the rest of his face, which was badly in need of a shave.

Rummaging through his meager belongings, he found his razor, and did what was necessary. Next was the shower. Damn, but he smelled like a wild animal. There was still bruising and discoloration over much of his torso, but the bones had knitted and were well on the way to healing, thanks to the Doctor's work, and the infusion of plastoid to much of his skeleton. He chuckled momentarily, silently dubbing himself 'plastic man' like some kind of half-assed super-hero. The shower was hot, and comparatively luxurious. He let the steam do its work, aiding and soothing muscles that had been overworked for far too long.

He looked at the naked form that greeted him in the mirror. He was a little malnourished, having spent too long off-world, and he wasn't an adonis in the traditional sense. But he worked hard, and carried the muscles and scars of his trade. His hands were rough, and his shoulders broad. Not bad for a formerly half-dead man.

Drying himself quickly, he pulled out some clothes and dressed himself for the deep dark of space travel, before leaving the little cabin and taking a quick look around the ship. More time for that later. He made his way slowly to the flight deck, and found Vee asleep behind the controls. According to the navacomp, they were still several hours from their destination. He cleared his throat softly.

Feel like a mug of caf?

[member="Vee H'rel"]

After ensuring they were ready for hyperspeed, Vee turned to Bernie's com which was still on and operating. It was a more complex one than hers. One could actually access the interweb with it. She noticed he had already accessed his bank account and was about to transfer the money for the nugget into her account (they had completed transactions before). He had around 150,000 grand in his account at the moment, and Vee was certain this wasn't the only bank account he had. But it would do. She increased the amount to the max that was in his account and pressed the button to confirm the transfer. Perfect. Her account was located on Muunilist. It cost her an arm and a leg, especially when she didn't make much, but she was paranoid that someone would do to her what she was doing to the dearly departed Bernie - or worse.

148,684.17, and she still had the gold. That was quite nice. Now she had some options. The redhead powered down Bernies com link before taking them into hyperspace. She sat quietly, watching the star streaks stream by her. It never ceased to mesmerize her, but now a little less than usual. Though she felt surprisingly calm despite what happened, her head was spinning. Vee sat quietly for several long minutes before remembering her passenger. Suddenly concerned, she jumped up and quickly made her way to the cabin. She breathed a sigh of relief when she saw the man was laying upon the bed asleep, clearly having received the medical attention the Zelosian promised. At least that got done. It would make going forward easier if the man with the bad attitude was able to take care of himself. Kad knew she couldn't do the mining.

After lugging his bag into the cabin and placing it by the cot, Vee checked the ship over to ensure that Bernie hadn't tampered with anything. Everything was as it should be, thank goodness. She grabbed some whiskey and a ration bar before falling into the pilot seat once more, drinking and eating, thinking about their next moves while avoiding the temptation to dwell upon the fact that she killed four beings in less than 24 hours.

Vee didn't know when she fell asleep, only that she had. The voice filtered suddenly into the darkness, making her jump awake. An unknown anxiety passed over her as she glanced around her seat to see where the voice came from. Then she did a double take. It was the man, but he looked almost nothing like the one she had met in the cantina, nor the one she picked up from To'rans.

He had shaved and scrubbed up, his injuries seemed healed and he didn't smell anymore. Clean spacer clothing with neat lines replaced the rags he worn previously. He was short compared to her, a full 3 inches shorter, and too thin, but his face betrayed sharp features that most would consider attractive, despite the rest of him. It was such a difference, she couldn't pry her eyes away from him in her sleepy haze, red strands of hair sticking out everywhere from her previously neat bun and ocean-colored eyes bleary.

"You look like you feel better." she managed to say, voice husky with sleep. She groaned as she slowly moved, her limbs stiff from her sleeping position. Her long legs unfolded from beneath her and she leaned forward to stretch, a wide yawn escaping her mouth. She glanced down at the navcomp as she rotated her neck. They were still several hours away from their destination.

"We're heading for Basilisk." she explained, forgetting what he originally asked and figuring that's what he wanted to know. "We can hunker down there as long as we need to plan out what to do next." She swiveled her seat around completely to face him, leaning back with big eyes looking up at him. "You see your stuff I got? Everything there?"

He smiled in spite of himself at her sleepy stretching, like a cat in the sun. He leaned against the cockpit door. He hadn't been invited in, and knew that this was the sanctuary in the church of the Pilot, and so he would not enter uninvited. Not that standing a few feet from this creature was a bad thing. She was contrary, or had been when they first met, but she was beautiful, and for some reason (likely the sleeping... most likely the sleeping...) she seemed at a loss for words. Over him. Weird.

I didn't do a thorough check of the gear, but yeah... everything seems to be there. We should be good to go for the Dive. But heading somewhere to plan a little first wouldn't be a bad thing, either. Never been to Basilisk. Good a place as any, I imagine. Be good to look over some charts, do some "weaving." Now... back to the more important question at hand. he hooked a thumb over his shoulder, suggesting the galley Caf? I was going to make some...

Vee tilt her head to the side, tired eyes still studying him. He was smiling - actually smiling - at her. It wasn't a wide grin, but it was affable enough. His whole demeanor seemed utterly changed from hostile to relaxed. It wasn't just his appearance that was a 180. His attitude seemed to change with it.

"Some caf sounds great." she admitted, slowly standing with hands running over either hip to reassure herself of her weapons. This man had, after all, threatened to shank her several hours ago. She would remain cautious despite his seeming change in spirit. "I don't have much left. Help yourself to a ration bar while you're at it, I'm sure you haven't eaten lately. You'll need your strength for Basilisk."

She turned momentarily to pick up the gold nugget from where she left it on the control board. Turning back, she lightly tossed it to him. "You can keep it, Bernie doesn't need it anymore." She left Bernie's com link on the board. Once on Baslisk she would fiddle with it to see what information she could glean.

The redhead cleared her throat, motioning to the entrance/exit of the cockpit that the man was blocking. "I'm going to grab a shower. Won't take long." She motioned behind her at the control board. "Everything is as it should, don't touch anything and we're golden."

Vee brushed past the man as he took a step back to accommodate her exit. She went straight to the fresher in the cabin. She immediately noticed the sheets on the cot; they were filthy. After locking the door, Vee stripped out of her clothing and threw them to the side to wash later. She gathered up the sheets off the cot and threw them in the incinerator, quickly remaking it with clean sheets from the small closet after she turned on the shower and waited for it to heat up.

The water felt heavenly. It was tempting to dwell once more on killing To'rans thugs and Bernie, but she again pushed it out of her mind. They deserved it, she thought, trying to justify what happened. If I hadn't, I would have been raped and likely killed by now...if not now, then later.

She dressed in a gray, long-sleeved shirt and cargo pants, then replaced her weapons on her hips and her dragon-hide boots upon her feet. The ensemble would work in space as it would on Basilisk. She left her waist-long hair down to air-dry after ringing it out in the shower. Feeling more awake and coherent, she made her way to the common area to see the man sitting in the booth behind the built-in table. A cup of caf she assumed was hers rested directly across from him on the other side of the small table. "Thanks." she said, tone noncommittal. After taking a blessed sip, she sighed before scooting into the booth as far from him as possible. "Are you really not going to tell me your name?" She took another sip, eyes staring at him over the cup.

He turned the heavy ingot over in his bandaged hand while she showered, the sound of the water hitting her skin clear in his ears. He poured the caf, and let it sit, watching the steam rise from the hot liquid. He still wasn't sure she could do this. And he wasn't sure if he could, either. A Dive of this magnitude was difficult even when he was in top condition. With plastene fusing a half dozen of his ribs and several more bones together... he didn't know if the odds could possibly be stacked in his favor. He sipped at the caf, and was rewarded with the heat, aroma and spice of a good roast. At this point, it was moment by moment, savoring the little things, because there was no guarantee of longevity. Never was. His head hurt something fierce, and he padded into the room where his bag lay in wait, retrieving a small bottle from an inner pocket. He took one of the painkillers, and shoved the bottle into one of his pockets in case the pain came back. At that moment, he looked up and noticed her form in the shower, outlined by the interior light, but clouded by the heat and the steam. He looked for half an instant longer than he should have, but backed out the way he had come, returning to his caf. When the water stopped a few minutes later, he mentally prepared (really, Sorenn? Has it really been that long since you partnered with anyone that you need to 'prepare' for simple conversation?) for the conversation to come...

"Are you really not going to tell me your name?"

Her hair hung around her like a beaded curtain, or like thin dreads, and though it did nothing to diminish her presence, it was one more thing that was new to the Diver, and one more thing he had trouble not staring at. Her tone had softened ever-so-slightly though, and he knew there would never be a better time to talk and clear the air. When he spoke, he did so as someone does who has time on their side. They were in hyperspace, with hours between them and their destination. There wasn't a much safer place in the 'verse.

I'm Sate. Sate Sorenn. I'm from Ord Mantell, originally. Not much to tell about that. Pretty awful place to grow up, but I managed to get out. Been digging ever since, in one form or another. pause for a sip of caf, and to remind himself that he didn't immediately have to start hammering away on the gig, working out details. There was time for that later. I came to Shaddaa because I was in a scrape my last Dive... lost my ship, my partner. Almost lost it all. Seems lady luck was on my side though. sliding the ingot back across the table to her You keep it. Sure you've got some things that need buying for the ship, and I'd feel better knowing that I'm paying my way.

Vee studied him as he spoke, the unique rasp of his voice washing over her in the fragile quiet of the ship. Sate Sorenn. That suited him. She still was amazed at his difference in appearance and even the way he sounded. It was as if he were a completely different man. Shadows played off his features, accentuating the deep set of his eyes, high cheekbones and strong jawline, made even more gaunt by his malnourishment.

His story was not unfamiliar to her, many others had similar tales of misfortune. Her eyes left his and moved to the nugget that he slowly pushed across the small, metal table to her. She shook her head before taking another sip, refraining from taking the offering. "I was able to grab some creds from Bernie, more than enough to satisfy me and this gig. That's because you were injuried, so you've paid your way as far as I'm concerned. Keep the gold, I'm solid." She sat her cup down on the table in front of her, looking down into the brew while her slender fingers played with the cup absentmindedly. She couldn't tolerate to look into his eyes with what she was prepared to say.

"I am...sorry. For what I did and what happened to you. I expected you would have chosen to use me instead of risking danger. I was desperate for credits. I hope we can put this behind us." Her voice sounded hollow, even to her. She knew if they were going to work together, however (and doing this for To'ran was still a possibility), they would need the air cleared. Still skirting his eyes, she took another sip of the caf. "I hope I can trust you won't be a problem and try to avenge yourself for my...lack of judgement. If we're going to survive this, we'll need to work together, and I don't want there to be any issues. If you can promise to work with me on that, then I can promise to do my best to see you survive this too."

Indeed, all their limited interactions up to this point had been violent and tempestuous. Hardly ideal for the situation they were in. She needed someone she could trust explicitly in order to survive. Sate was hardly her first choice given their brief history, but she had little choice in the matter.

Vee H'rel said:
"I am...sorry. For what I did and what happened to you. I expected you would have chosen to use me instead of risking danger. I was desperate for credits. I hope we can put this behind us." Her voice sounded hollow, even to her. She knew if they were going to work together, however (and doing this for To'ran was still a possibility), they would need the air cleared. Still skirting his eyes, she took another sip of the caf. "I hope I can trust you won't be a problem and try to avenge yourself for my...lack of judgement. If we're going to survive this, we'll need to work together, and I don't want there to be any issues. If you can promise to work with me on that, then I can promise to do my best to see you survive this too."
There was a flash of something -- pain? hurt? betrayal? anger? -- behind his eyes for a moment, and then it was gone as quickly as it arrived, replaced by the reflection of the caf in the bottom of his mug, as he drained the last of it, placing the mug on the table-top and turning the ingot of gold end-over-end. He paused at a rough spot on the nugget, rubbing at it absently. When he replied, his tone was non-committal, but he might merely have been hiding the hurt in his voice.

Forget it. pause I'm here. You're here. The job's here. Nobody's dead yet. That's a win as far as I'm concerned. pause So, why Basilisk? ...and I should probably tell you, so we have a chance of navigating it by prepping and running sims before-hand... the asteroid field we're heading for is Anoat. At the edge of the Hoth system. The worst.

Vee sighed, her face hardening at the proclamation of the dive location. The small space between her eyes knit together as she tipped her head back slightly, thinking upon what she knew of the Anoat system. "I lived on Basilisk." Her tone managed to be thoughtful and grim at the same time. "The planet is dead and largely uninhabited now. There's a bunker of sorts there where I store stuff should I find myself in a bind. Or where I go if I need to recoup."

Her eyes shifted from empty space back to Sate. The redhead blinked as she refocused on him. "The dragons shouldn't give us too much trouble, especially since they're dying out and we'll be in the bunker most of the time. If one comes around, I should be able to handle it. I need to do some system checks, probably have some minor repairs. I can try to calibrate the controls so we move faster, at least."

She motioned with her chin towards the cockpit. "I don't know if To'ran had a tracker put on us...if he did, my ship isn't picking it up. However, I wouldn't be surprised if one was attached when I was in the palace. It could be higher technology that the Tracyn can't detect...regardless, we should leave Basilisk at the soonest opportunity. I don't want his thugs coming around, we'd be dead in the water out there."

Sate truly smiled at this point. Finally, it seemed the past was being put where it belonged: behind them. He wasn't much for revisiting what had come and gone. Not a lot to look back on happily, and his profession weren't prone to get-togethers filled with tales of 'remember-when?' ...there simply weren't that many Divers out there. He was much happier talking about what was yet to come. In fact, he had made it a rule of sorts with his last partner, who had been keen to hear a lot about Sate's past: if you've gotta talk, talk about what you're going to do. It wasn't something he took terribly seriously, nor did he live his life by it... but he was in his comfort zone discussing the gig, and the hows and whys of how it was going to get done. The enthusiasm showed in his talk... or maybe it was the caf.

Well, you won't be alone in dealing with 'dragons,' whatever they are. I've got a few tricks up my sleeve. We should certainly look into additional dorsal and ventral maneuvering thrusters, and axis-rotation jets. Forward momentum of these birds isn't much of an issue, but they can kind of be pigs when it comes to rotational accuracy and attitude adjustment. I haven't had a look at your engine management system yet, but I'm sure there's a little work that can be done there. And then there's shields and fractional shield control, and HUD-targeted point defenses -- there's plenty we can... pause ...I'm rambling. Sorry.

Vee finished off the caf with a few long gulps with eyes narrowed curiously over her cup at Sate as he ran down a list of improvements for the Tracyn. "You know an awful lot about ships." she stated with a hint of suspicion, ignoring the offer to help with the dragons for the moment. The accusation implied the question of *how* he knew so much. "You any good with mechanic work?"

She pushed her cup away from her, settling back into the stiff booth as comfortably as she could manage. If he was, that would help them get off-planet a lot faster.

When you make a living -- more than that, when you owe your life -- to a ship and her abilities, yeah, it's handy to know a thing or two about a thing or two. Every one of my thirty-or-more Dives, there's been damage to whatever craft I was aboard. It's just the nature of the thing. And though I typically get paid well for my skills, it's not enough to allow me to buy a new ship every Dive. So yeah, I can fix a lot. Plus, in my line of work, it pays to be on a first name basis with most explosives and weapon systems, so there's that, too. he paused, wondering where she was going with this Why? You got a list of upgrades and a credit-line for parts I don't know about?

He looked around, once more orienting himself to the ship. Noting the awkward protrusions of bulkhead-to-corridor construction and makers marks of modules whose dates didn't match, twigged his curiosity further. Been awhile since I was aboard anything Corellian. This is the refit 1300 -- an FP model, am I right? So that makes it what -- eighty years old? A hundred? She's in good shape. Not many of these made. Less than ten thousand, if my memory serves me right.

He paused again, knowing that he was getting lost in the minutae of the ship. In his mind, it was all mission-specific and important, but it may not have been what Vee would have chosen to talk about, and he also knew that it was just as vital to get to know her. There would be time for him to tear the ship apart (metaphorically) in the days to come.

So tell me... we get this done, and manage to make it off the rock in one piece -- what do you plan to do? You'll have a good chunk of credits in your pocket... where would you go? What would you do?

As he spoke, Vee shifted in Sates direction by hitching up her right knee under the table and sliding it to the side on the booth, knee sitting against the back of the cushion while her foot rested off the edge. Her right arm snaked along the top of the booth while she braced her left forearm on the table. While the redhead was glad he seemed to know his way around a ship, she didn't like his questions about her future plans. What did he care, anyway? Suddenly he was chatty?

"Well, as for the ship, they're all pretty easy to modify." she responded evenly, gaze never leaving him. "Hundreds of thousands of these ships were made, only to be modified by their owners later. I bought this off Mandalore and it came like this. Don-"

Vee haltered abruptly mid sentence. Her eyes faltered momentarily from Sate to the table. She did not want to talk about Don. "A friend helped me get a good price for it." she resumed, rubbing a fingertip over a stain on the table as if she could remove it. When her eyes met the divers again, they had hardened slightly. "I haven't done many modifications. New hyperdrive. Better thrusters. Updated nav system. That's about it." She shrugged with her left shoulder. "I mean, sure...I'd like to update her a lot more, but I didn't have the creds for it. I have some money now, but I'd have to buy the parts. I don't have them where we're going." Her brow furrowed once more as she summoned star maps up in her mind. Her gaze drifted back into midair. "We need to stop to refuel before we head to the Anoat system, we might be able to swing by Ixtlar for fuel and parts." she continued slowly. "It'll put us right on the Corellian Run which'll take us to the Corellian Trade Spine...that should take us right by the Anoat system..."

The blue-green eyes refocused back on Sate. "If we're getting new parts, we should probably go to Ixtlar first. We could even rent a bay and do the work there without going to Basilisk, otherwise it's a waste of time and fuel going back and forth." She momentarily forgot about Sates question as to her future endeavors.

Sate noticed (how could he miss it?) the abrupt deviation from discussing Don, and elected not to push it any farther. There was no point in upsetting her, or driving a wedge between them. Maybe another time. Ultimately, it didn't concern him, nor did it impact their current plans. If Vee felt like talking, she'd talk.

Sounds like a plan. She's your ship, and your creds, so you do as you see fit regarding purchase of parts. I'll be happy to help with installation and service. But if -- if -- you were asking me what a priority would be, I'd say better reaction-control and attitude adjustment / braking thrusters and if we can find it, the Intellex module from an R2 or R3 droid. With that, I can set up some pretty cool gizmos for the Tracyn that'll help with general survivability.

He stood, and stretched, rubbing at sore muscles and bones that were still in the healing process. Some of the plastene injection sites were developing new scar tissue, looking much like polio vaccination scars, but that, and a few small scars around his eye, were really all that remained of the brutal beating. He looked generally healthy, and after his stretch, looked back at Vee, seated in the booth.

I'd love to work out, but I don't think it's wise for a few more days, till my "plastic bones" harden. What I should do, and can do, is a full check of my gear. Is there some place with a work bench that you don't mind me cluttering up for a while?

Vee swallowed her pride as Sate made suggestions. She knew he was doing it out of concern for their safety with the run. He knew what would be needed better than she could. She offered a curt nod at his recommendations before righting her leg and arm, and sliding out of the booth. "Yeah, there used to be two other cabins, but they were combined to hold extra cargo. That should work ok. Haven't hauled anything in awhile, there's a work bench in there."

She had turned already to lead him back. "You shouldn't be working out, you need to eat...it looks like you've missed too many meals. Ration bars aren't very good, but mine have a lot of calories. You should eat a few." Vee turned her head slightly behind her to address him, flipping her drying locks over her shoulder. "How do you feel, by the way? I can't imagine Bernie was gentle with you." Inwardly she grimaced. The recently departed thug was good at what he did, but he did not do it delicately.

He frowned at her mothering / concern. He wasn't used to it, and sort of figured if he wasn't dead or dying, everything else would sort itself out naturally. Food included. A meal had always been a luxury, and a comfort, but not always was he able to say it was a staple. A rat bar and protein supplement would go a long way. And Sate had never had the choice to be a connoisseur of foods. He saw food as fuel, and right now, it wasn't what his body desired. He could eat, but he didn't need to.

He stretched once more, flexing arms and twisting his torso to check mobility and muscles. Some were sore, but nothing like a few hours ago. Lifting his shirt to expose a flat, toned stomach, he spoke to it, or rather, listened to what it 'had to say.'

What's that? Filet Mignon? a questioning glance at Vee, who wrinkled her brow in reply No, sorry, we're all out. Oooh, I like your style... yes, Ribs would be good right now. But... another glance at Vee, with a twinkle in his eye Sorry old buddy, we're fresh out of Ribs. 'kept the busted ones, and they're a little plasticky.

Dropping his shirt and letting the jacket hang around him once more, Sate turned and made off in the direction of the hold, where Vee had mentioned the work-bench. He called out over his shoulder as he walked off to prep his Dive gear I'm fine -- couple of days, I'll be a hundred percent.

He dropped his duffel on the work bench, and unzipped it, pulling out the tools of his trade. He paused a moment, forcing the blood in his veins to quit boiling and forced unbidden thoughts of her wet hair cascading over her shoulders, the suggestion of her calves under her boots and her piercing eyes from his mind. Pulling his tool-belt out of the bag, he laid it on the bench and began disassembly of the largest explosive core impact dart. The concentration of hi-ex could vaporize the ship, if you didn't know what you were doing. Thankfully, Sate did, and he truly believed this task was safer than continuing to think about her hair, or the curve of her shoulder, or the swell of her breasts--

Kark.

Vee blinked in confusion at Sates sudden, playful mood. Mercurial, definitely mercurial. Or perhaps it was because she simply didn't know or understand him. Her eyebrows raised slightly at the look of his stomach. His filth and beaten body had disguised the fit, muscled specimen underneath. However, he was still rather too thin. It bothered her. She realized long ago that her stress on food had to do with the lack of it many times growing up. She had bought many a destitute being a meal, even if she was low on funds. She just couldn't bear to see hunger.

"Fine." she responded easily, lifting palms briefly in surrender and offering a skeptical smile. "Whatever you say." Her eyes tracked him until he disappeared into the unused cargo space. She could hear him rooting around in his bag. With a sigh, she made the short distance to the cabin and found her own bag. She felt around for the discs. 1...2...3...4...they were all there. She quickly checked to ensure nothing was missing and, finding there wasn't, she made her way with the small, thin discs back to the cockpit.

As soon as Vee sank into the pilots seat, she set the discs on the board and glanced at the navcom. Roughly 3 more hours until Basilisk. After giving a once over the controls to ensure everything was as it should be, she sat back, taking the discs with her. She activated the first one. Her parents smiling faces came into view. They were young, newly wed and relocated upon Basilisk. Vee was nearly the spitting image of her mother, Adeline, a former socialite of the Coruscanti elite. The same red-gold locks, same bone structure, same colored eyes, even the same shy smile. But that's where it ended. Her father stood at 6'5, long black hair with a sharp facial structure that made him appear savage. Vee got her cheekbones and the shape of her eyes from Ve'en Ruus, as well as his height. She was always told she had his laugh too.

The pair stood there, the bunker living space in the background, Adeline tucked into Ve'en side. Her head barely reached his shoulders. They both looked so happy and so in love. Her eyes watered. "Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc. Ni partayli, gar darasuum." she whispered to the holo. "Ve'en bal Adeline Ruus."

She stared a moment longer at the holo of her parents before moving onto the next holo. It was of she and Todon with his browned skin, wild dirty-blonde hair, pale blue eyes and tall, lanky frame typical of a teenager. Her fiery mane was just as wild-looking as the Basilisk wind blew it and her eyes laughed. There were sitting side by side, leaning up against each other, on a large boulder. Vee never could believe she ever looked that young and carefree. But yet, despite all the danger they encountered, they both did. Vees free hand seemed to move of its own accord to trace the pronounced scar the slashed down from the top of her right cheekbone to her chin, barely missing her lips. She received that injury the day Todon died in a dragon attack. He was only seventeen. The holo was taken merely weeks before he died. He was her first love. While she had been reserved and always tried to do the right thing, he was a charismatic jokester and good-natured troublemaker. But tough and brave, oh so brave. She roughly swept her free hand over her eyes. "Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc. Ni partayli, gar darasuum." she whispered to the holo. "Todon Tenau."

The next disc was of her and Taung. They were casually lounged on a couch in Taungs penthouse. Her head rested on his shoulder as she reclined slightly into his side, wearing little clothing with a coy smile. Taung grinned broadly with his arms around her, flashing white teeth as his gray eyes lit with joy. He insisted on taking the holo himself the day after they wed. They had known each other for only a couple months before deciding to marry. They weren't married very long before he went to war and never returned. Her throat restricted as she gazed upon him. He had been a good husband and represented the best of the Mando'ade. "Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc. Ni partayli, gar darasuum." she whispered to the holo. "Taung H'rel."

She clenched her teeth as she held the last disc in her hands. Her most recent loss and one that could not be explained. With a deep breath, she activated the disc. Don V'hett stood confidently in front of the Tracyn with a mischievous smile. His black hair was messy and his brown eyes twinkled. His wore a dirty white tank over olive skin with dark green cargo pants. One muscled arm was around Vees waist, pulling her close to him. She was laughing, body almost in profile but with face slightly turned outward, both hands pressed against Dons broad chest as if pretending to resist him. She had just bought the Tracyn. Don had found it for her and paid for half of it himself. They had been a team for almost two years with a private company, hauling cargo all over the galaxy. After Taungs death, she decided to never become close to anyone ever again. But Don got to her. She finally learned how to laugh again and actually mean it. Then suddenly, he was gone. Vanished into thin air with only rumors of his death. That was a year ago. Vee didn't realize that angry tears had begun to roll down her cheeks and into her lap. "Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc. Ni partayli, gar darasuum." she whispered to the holo. "Don V'hett." I am still alive, but you are dead. I honor you, so you are eternal, Don V'hett. Her expression darkened. "I will find the truth," she promised fiercely, as she did every day, "And I will avenge you." She enlarged Dons face slightly before she sealed the vow. "Haat, Ijaa, Haa'it." Truth, Honor, Vision.

--------------------------------

She sat for a long time watching the stars stream by in deep contemplation. For how long, she couldn't say. All she knew was that the Tracyn signaled that they were coming up on Basilisk and it was time to come out of lightspeed. Hands rubbed over her face to refocus before the Mandalorian brought them out. And there it was...Basilisk. Vee felt a brief pang of homesickness as she did every time she returned to the planet. "We're here!" she called out as she guided the Tracyn towards the planet, just in case Sate was in hearing distance.

He carried on, immersing himself in his work, crafting the tools of his trade and taking stock of damages sustained in the last Dive, repairing what he could, tossing some more, reusing bits to make new, previously unthought-of items. He was particularly proud of a deep-coring rod driver that had previously been a bit of the left arm of his exo-suit. So -- on the plus side of things, he now had a non-explosive means of delivering a charge upwards of fifty feet into bedrock... but on the down side, the left forearm of his exo-suit was past repair. That would make things interesting. ...but he'd done dives in his youth without an exo-suit at all. He'd just have to take a page from the past, and scribe it into the present.

Lined up in front of him were nine hi-ex splitters, four low-yield corers, and ten fixed beam plasma cartridges. He'd need more of those. He had replaced all the damage suffered by the laser cutters, and was relatively happy with their output. The backup could use 10% more power, but that's why it was a backup, right? He took further inventory of the various grades of shape-charges and detonators on his tool belt, and was about to start with repairs to the extractor and the wand, when Vee's voice pierced his work-induced haze.

He placed the shaped charge back on the work bench and looked at his hands, which were covered in grease, fresh cuts and scrapes (par for the course,) and shrugged. Turning the wand over in his hand, examining it for damage, he walked to the bridge. She was behind the controls as he slid into the co-pilot's seat to her left, silently observing her work and the movement of the vessel.

It would look for all intents and purposes that Sate was holding a lightsabre hilt -- turning it over absently, feeling for imperfections as he sat with her, just allowing the silence between them to remain. There was no awkwardness, just a shared bit of reverence for the horizon that loomed before them.

Vee said nothing as Sate entered and fell into the co-pilot seat beside her. She grit her teeth as the specter of Don assailed her, but she mentally shook it away. After several moments, she realized that the silence was surprisingly companionable. That was unexpected, but welcomed.

Her slender fingers flew over the navcomp as she plotted their landing trajectory, using the shift of her body to shoot Sate a glance. He was dirty, though not nearly as he had been when they met. Typical grit after doing some mechanical work. His face was in profile to her, gazing upon the dead planet as they approached. She stared a moment, studying him.Thankfully, he seemed calm, relaxed even. Vee sincerely hoped his mood would last...she didn't want to fight anymore. All she wanted now was to get the job over with and pray to Kad that To'ran would release them after they did. If he didn't, she didn't know what they would do.

The redhead turned back to her work, guiding them to what seemed to be a small, domed-like hut in the middle of no where. It looked worse for the wear on the outside, the hash climate taking its toll. Black splotches randomly decorated it, as if it had been scorched. There were no towns or villages to be seen surrounding the small building, just endless, barren wasteland. Vee was relieved they didn't encounter any dragons on their descent. After she carefully landed the Tracyn, she leaned back in her seat and stared at the hut with a sigh.

"Home sweet home." she said with a hint of both nostalgia and despair, breaking the silence. Her blue-green gaze turned to Sate to gauge his reaction. It was only then she realized he held a cylinder-like object in his greasy hands that she couldn't identify. Figuring it was a tool of his trade, she shrugged it off. "We should get inside, it'll be night soon." she advised as she activated the ramp to lower. She suddenly felt very tired. "You can leave your stuff on the ship, but if you want to continue to work on your equipment, you should probably bring it in. The less time we spend out here, the better."

While she knew that the dragon population had dwindled dramatically, she still didn't want to take any chances. They could stay here until they figured out a concrete plan, agreed to a definitive course of action and wait for Sate to heal completely. And maybe she could have a couple meals and full nights of rest to recenter herself. She was certain it would do the duster some good too.

Sure, he offered as she performed post-flight routines and shut down the parts of the ship that wouldn't be necessary for their stay. I'll come back for my kit -- it's mostly spread across the workbench right now... but I'd like to get the lay of the land here before I get neck-deep in fabrication and repairs again. How about you show me the place, I'll make us something edible, and we can talk about something other than work for a heartbeat?

Did that sound too much like he was asking her on a date? Sate hoped not, but pushed the thought out of his mind as he stood and moved toward the door of the flight deck.

I'll grab my pack, and meet you in the hold.

Vee swiveled her seat around to follow Sates path as he moved to exit. At that exact moment, her stomach rumbled. Loudly. "Alright." she said, voice laced with embarrassment as she ducked her red head and twirled her chair back around. Even though she was finished, she pretended to be preoccupied in order to give him time to leave without her following directly behind. She wasn't sure what he wanted to chit-chat about, but a meal did sound good. There was various dried and canned food inside that had long shelf lives. She keep it decently stocked. There would be more than enough for the two of them for their brief stay. She was glad he offered to cook...she hated cooking. Left to her own devices, she normally ate something directly out of a can or bag. Taung had always cooked, or meals were delivered. Don always cooked for them too, as did Drika when Vee lived with her and Todon Sr. on Mandalore.

After giving him a few minutes of a head start, she snatched up the small, silver holo discs and made way for the cabin. She tossed them inside her large duffle before grabbing her meager toiletries out of the 'fresher and doing the same. After she slung the bag over her shoulder, she unattached the largest of the blasters from her hip and held it in her free hand...just in case there was a welcoming party for them.

"Lets go." she said, motioning to Sate with the blaster as she walked past him to the ramp. Expecting he would follow, she went down at a light jog and headed straight to the abandoned building. The wind was picking up and the planet cooling as the sun set, her hair whipped around wildly and hues of pink and orange reflected off her mane and the side of her face. She scanned the skies for trouble. Nothing. Half-way there, she briefly turned to make sure Sate was following. He was close behind, easily keeping up with her longer strides.

Nimble fingers flew across the access pad of the door, activating it open for them. The heavy, narrow door slowly slid open with a loud, creaking noise. Vee squeezed through as soon as there was enough room, first tossing her bag in. Inside was dark due to lack of windows, but enough light came through the door for her to make out the box to activate the electricity. She always turned it off after she left. Through rote memorization, having performed this task several times, Vee flipped the right switches.

"Light on." she spoke into the darkness. The space was suddenly lit, howbeit dimly. She smiled genuinely for the first time in a while as she sighed with relief. Despite all the bad memories, this was home, and it felt good to be back. When she turned around, Sate was already closing the door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom