Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Death marks the spot

[member="Gideon Newport"]

The Adrogaddo, Vagrant Fleet, Relgim Sector

"Oh come on. Pirate treasure? You're tugging my head tails right?" Xin asked incredulously. Turan just looked at him coldly. Xin could tell he wasn't the only one from the expressions of Dragoons around the ops room.

"A rather successful pirate and her entire crew were apprehended just last week. Her first mate blabbed for a shortened sentence. The captain is getting death. They cached much of their stolen goods and credits. The problem is its in a small station at the centre of a dense asteroid field."

Hirrau, the nikto squad leader was seeing the logic now. The fleet had a reputation for extracting value from hopeless situations. On the move they'd developed techniques to mine some of the most dangerous locations. He did, however, see one problem.

"Our survey ships are a good distance away?" Hirrau asked.

"Indeed and none of the other light freighters have the scanners to map the field. So I'm going to send a small team with suits, hand scanners and gear with some hired transport," Wesseq Turan continued.

"Trustworthy?" Xin asked.

"Not at all. Nor have they accepted the job. But they can fly the route and we have the location. They should be here any moment."

"So we're just there to make sure they actually bring the loot back and deal with any traps or defences?" Xin asked.

"You catch on fast."

From feared pirate to a errant running smuggler.

When he defied death by returning from the Netherworld in almost one piece he had expected a slightly more glorious future for himself, filled with riches and blood, not flying people around to pick up salvage. It was just beneath him, he was Gideon Newport and a few years ago people prayed when they watched his ship, the Deserteur, jump out of hyperspace. Now most people had no clue who he was, the tales of his ship already forgotten when it, together with his crew, was erased by the imperial remnant.

His new ship, a unnamed and extremely rundown Crinya Class Freighter that was mainly kept together by faith alone, began the docking procedure with the ship of his employer. On the seat besides him rested a droid, a unidentifiable patchwork of junk he had gotten for a discount price when buying the ship, overlooking the ship's systems with two faulty optical sensors that went dark at random intervals. His ship connected to the Adrogaddo, the half malfunctioning systems going wild as the failing airlock closed and opened erratically until it fully linked with the other vessel. With a sigh the scarred, bald pirate reached for the near empty bottle of cheap, disgusting booze he always kept close when flying, downing the rest of the clear liquid before shattering the bottle on the ground.

With a winning grin on his face Gideon stumbled into the ops room, his ragged clothes reeking worse than the dirtiest bar on Nar Shaddaa. The movements of the pirate revealed his level of intoxication, but the brown eyes that starred out of his head looked awake, a fire burning in them that was either wicked madness or unbroken determination to carry on despite the hardships fate had thrown in his way. On his hip was a simple revolver, and on his back rested an ax that seemed slightly to big for the only barley average sized human. Around his neck was a golden, demonic looking amulet similar to the various rings around almost all of his fingers.

"Make it quick, I don't like wasting time I could spend either looking for more interesting and lucrative jobs or finally drinking myself to death."

The voice of the pirate was raspy, telling the tale of uncountable cigarettes and drinks he had consumed during his life of traversing the emptiness. In it was clear impatience, but also a slight, odd sense of humor that was barley noticeable under the slurred speech of a drunk, and the annoyance of a failed pirate with a bad temper.

[member="Xin Boa"]

Xin wasn't particular adept at keeping his cards close to his chest. Just his lingering gaze was enough to convey disbelief in the newcomer's credentials. He did, however, managed to keep his expression mostly under control. Instead he focused on Wesseq to see what his reaction would be. He found the duros completely unreadable. Xin expected the professional leader of the Dragoons to send the washed up pirate packing and to call off the mission until one of the Fleet's survey ships could return. To the nautolan's disbelief he did not.

"I need a team delivered to a set of coordinates within the Haelstrong asteroid belt. That's a Class F asteroid field which has no continual mapping or tracking. Can you do this?" Wesseq asked.

Xin's wide, jet black eyes panned slowly back to the pirate. If he said that he could then Xin was presented with a conundrum. He wasn't so ingrained in the Fleet that he had to take this mission. His debt with the crimelord Yulon had essentially been paid off, but that was for the last few jobs. If he didn't think his chances of survival on the man - who had apparently been marinading in whiskey - were not high it might be time to part ways with the fleet.

Gideon blankly stared at the Duros, before shrugging slightly. There was something in his voice that was hard to place, a sense of adventure drowned in madness, the same that had been burning behind his eyes when he entered the room. Yet there was also a hint of annoyance caused by their lack of faith in his abilities, especially knowing that his name had not long ago had been a symbol of fear, the name of man many believed to be one of the most skilled, most ruthless pirates of all time.

"Well mates when you're done questing my abilities, meet me on my ship. Until then I'll just have another drink and try to ignore how little sympathy I can find for you in my shattered heart."

It was common among pirates to pick up a flair for the dramatic. After all intimidation and showmanship could be far more effective then violence. Violence meant you actually had to win a battle, but speeches, fire and smoke meant you won without ever lifting a hand. For a moment he remained in the room, giving his words just enough time to breathe before drunkenly staggering out of the room.

Upon return on his ship the pirate reached for the controls, getting everything ready for takeoff should they decide to make use of his services. He released a swift kick at the droid, the faulty robot jumping to life like before.

[member="Xin Boa"]

Am I on this boat because I'm expendable?

That thought ran circled around Xin's head as he walked into the ship that would take them to the pirate cache. Hirrau had stayed behind to be replaced by two junior Corellian from the Dragoons. Xin was here to keep his eyes out for trouble, they provided a bit of extra security to ensure the cache made it back to the fleet. Yet none of the lieutenants in the Dragoons were here. It made him feel rather cold inside to have how worth to his current employers laid bare like this.

Xin reached the cockpit. He leaned against the bulkhead at the entrance. There was a satchel thrown over his shoulder. Xin was many things. Not the most accomplished thief, but he knew he was around a lock and a security system. They all doubted the asteroid field was all the hoarder had put in place to guard the cache. What they didn't know was just how well defended it would turn out to be.

"Good to go?" Xin asked. Perhaps he'd ask about a drink himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom