Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead on Arrival (Open; Roche Asteroids)

Development Thread; Concordance Class
Somewhere in the Roche Asteroids...

Ishimura.jpg

It had been over two hundred years since the Concordance-class had ceased its production run. And yet here and there, remnants remained in service across Mandalorian space. Through time and care, they had been maintained by their owners. But they were still barely operational so long after their 70 year expected lifetime. Those that still functioned well enough to perform the mining operations that they had been designed for were serving as workhorses of whatever company still owned them. Old and rusted and drifting through space, they diligently harvested precious metals from one asteroid after another.

It was one of these vessels that Rygel Larraq's shuttle now approached. The massive ship loomed in the distance, an equally massive chunk of asteroid hanging below it. Rock and debris drifted through the void around the two celestial objects, obscuring Larraq's view of his intended prize. Standing behind the pilot and co-pilot of the shuttle, Larraq stared out the forward viewport and waited patiently for the vessel in question to respond to their hail. They had contacted the company that owned this particular vessel weeks ago and negotiated a VIP visit to the mining vessel. His company had somehow managed to lose the original blueprints to this class of ship and Mandal Hypernautics would have to scan every inch of the massive vessel before it could begin producing the Concordance-class again.

“I say again; this is Mandal Hypernautics shuttle 83-B74, enroute from Azure, to the Concordance-class Mining Vessel 'Celestial Blight'. Celestial Blight, please respond.”

This was the fourth time the communications officer of the shuttle had failed to receive an answer from the ship and Rygel Larraq was beginning to think that something was wrong. “Bring us in closer. And mind the flak turrets.” said the young CEO to his pilots. He had no idea what was going wrong with that ship, but he had no intention of letting a downed transceiver stop him after coming so far into the middle of nowhere.

Grabbing the trash can for the sixth time during the day, I threw up again. I was not one to be with ships. Even though I was a Mando, know to be hardened warriors, I could not stand ships! and it rightfully pissed me off. Wearing my white armor, My helmet on the floor next to the trashcan, I moved my Gladiator rifle out of the way. It was slung over my back as well with my pistols on my thighs. Getting back up from the can, I wiped my mouth and grabbed a waterbottle. Cleaning my mouth of the bile.

I took in only small swigs to be spit back out into the can, and when I was finally done, I put my helm back on. As a joke some of the other Mandos, had told me that they needed to make a suit that could capture the "chunks of manliness" as they so kindly put, and get rid of them so I wouldn't have to deal with staying near the john's or a trash can. I then walked towards the bridge to see if there was anything that I could do to maybe keep my mind occupied on anything other than the ship that I stood on.

@[member="Captain Larraq"]

Preliat laid the rifle down, on the table, and loaded the final energy cell. Over his armor, he had stocked up on a healthy dose of ammunition and explosives. He had his trademark Beskad down at his shoulder, and it was freshly painted with a large visage of Ordo on the middle of the blade. He loved his home planet, and he loved his family, which is why he was currently sending a video to them. He was explaining to one of his brothers about what he was carrying. He picked up a large Mandalorian Ripper, holding it up to the camera. He tucked two of them two his waist, and turned the camera to himself, smiling. He said a few heartfelt words before slipping on his helmet and joining the rest of the crew on the bridge.

The M45 rifle was hefty, but Preliat didn't seem to mind. The thing could blow away just about trooper or slaver, short of super-duper tough armor. Which, he wasn't expecting to encounter here at all. As much as Preliat hated flying in space, he realized the need for it, so stifled his fear. Using the carrying handle, he held his helmet with the other hand, and the rifle in the other. He looked out to the expanse of space, before his eyes settled on the large, derelict looking ship."A whole ship...gone dark. Anyone else getting the spooks?"He said wearily, the visage reminding of the Dark Harvest, and he seemed visibly shaken for a moment.

Not a happy Preliat.

@[member="Zack Varad"]

@[member="Preliat Mantis"]
@[member="Zack Varad"]

City sized chunks of rock zoomed past the viewports as the shuttle rocked and rolled through the debris field in its struggle to reach the Celestial Blight. Rygel Larraq gripped tightly to a railing above his head as the small shuttle approached its target. A brilliant flash of light arced past the left viewport, confirming his fears. “Oh frell. Either they aren't happy to see us, or they've left the automated defense turrets online.”

Glancing behind him as the already queasy Zack Varad stumbled into the cockpit, Larraq said to the outlaw, “You might wanna find a bucket.”

Turning his attention back to the forward viewport and the pilots seated in front of him, he barked out orders to the crew. “Full throttle to engines and divert power to forward shields. Use the debris for cover as much as possible. These turrets are designed to track asteroids, they shouldn't be able to predict evasive maneuvers.” A flare of light filled the forward viewport for a moment as the super accelerated projectile of a mass driver cannon deflected off the ship and into space. “Unless they've upgraded the software.”

Watching the pilot jerk the controls back and forwards, flipping the shuttle over and under various obstacles, Rygel Larraq had an idea. “Rotate the shuttle along the ventral axis, counter-clockwise. Rotational rate of 90 degrees per 2.5 seconds. Rotate along X axis. 45 degrees per 2 seconds. Third rotational axis is Y axis minus 45 degrees to prow. Rotational speed of 30 degrees per 3.5 seconds.”

The pilot and co-pilot both paused to look at Larraq, then at eachother, then struggled to comply with his orders. Maneuvering thrusters and repulsors flared with activity as the shuttle lurched to the left, then began to wobble erratically through space like a drunken top. Gripping the railing above his head, Larraq and the rest of the crew struggled to stay upright as the ship failed to compensate for the G-forces being exerted on the frame of the craft. For all the idiocy of the plan though, it seemed to work. The incoming shots from the defensive cannons were becoming more and more distant as the targeting systems of the rusting behemoth struggled to anticipate the movements of the shuttle.

“There. Get us close to the hull and steady the shuttle. The turrets can't fire that close while automated.”

Concept_ishimura_in_profile.jpg

Suddenly as I was walking in, another man walked past me to be further forwards on the bridge. Looking to the Captain of the vessel, @[member="Captain Larraq"], I nodded my head as he told me to get a bucket. Running quickly over to the corner of the room, there sat a neon green five liter bucket. Pulling my helmet just as the ship sped forwards. I hurled chunks once more. However, this time it burned coming up. I was fine with ship when they were still, or speeders, but in one that went faster than the speed of light, It really messed me up.

looking up, the Captain then commanded to do maneuvers that were fairly complicated. and when they were preformed, I threw up for the eight time today. Good thing I was good with a gun, and fighting. because it might make up for the ship sickness that I had. I kept my head down, not wanting to look up and ether see people laughing about my condition, or seeing asteroids flying by making my already uneasy self, worse.

Preliat clipped his helmet to his pretty face, faster than he thought he truthfully could. He however, didn't make it to the railing in time, and was thrown around quite violently. He smashed against the wall, and his gear was flung about. Thankfully, it was unharmed for the moment. Preliat rolled along the deck, before grasping unto the railing, hanging by it for a moment, before steadying himself. He breathed heavily, scowling beneath his helmet.

"Someone forget to turn the IFF tags on, or is that not standard anymore?"He said sarcastically, as truthfully, he had no idea about space combat and piloting. Point A, point B. He was a terrific and blooming ground and infantry combatant, but otherwise, that expertise lie elsewhere. He collected his rifle from the ship's deck, catching it as it flung about. He wondered if the pilots were as worried as he was. Whatever was on that ship, wasn't good. Preliat was by no means atune to the force, but something felt off. He had that same shaky feeling that the Dark Harvest gave him."Vode...there is something evil on that ship. I'm calling it."He said with a grimace on his face, though the T-shaped visor, 'The Mandalorian's true face' showed none of it, as he jumbled around the ship, attempting to try and hold himself steady as the ship violently rocked.

@[member="Zack Varad"]

@[member="Zack Varad"], @[member="Preliat Mantis"]

Rygel Larraq stared out the front viewport as the shuttle glided silently along the hull of the much larger ship. Its guns silenced, the massive mining vessel sat indifferent in the void. “Nice and slow, follow this pathway to the main hanger.” Larraq instructed as he indicated his intended vector. “And keep us clear of that debris.”

Noticing it for the first time, Larraq was suddenly aware that the amount of rubble and debris orbiting the massive craft was unusual. There was simply too much of it. The defensive turrets of the Celestial Blight should have deflected any asteroids from getting this close to the hull. Leaning over the pilot's shoulder, Larraq pressed a series of buttons and an overhead viewscreen zoomed in on a cluster of debris drifting in the shadow of the silent and imposing vessel.

“That's no asteroid.” Larraq said to himself as he stared at the screen. A few quick commands on the overhead console and the sensors confirmed his fears. “Those are what's left of the escape pods.”

Looking out the viewports, a thick cloud of shrapnel could be seen slowly drifting through the void alongside the ship that had created it. “Did they try to evacuate while the defenses were still automated?” Larraq asked more to himself than anything as the shuttle turned sharply and vectored towards the hanger bay doors, which were still sealed shut. “So... The hard way then.”

Turning to look back at the Mercenaries and Engineers that he had brought with him for this job, Larraq smiled. “So. Who wants to go open a door for me?”

Preliat was the first out, a plasma torch in his hands. After a few flicks, the torch flickered to life. The door hissed and whirled as it was rendered apart by the torch, and Preliat went around. There was another man with him, matching his movements. The cut was large enough to suit their needs, and Preliat motioned them forwards. He was still a bit weary of the situation, and clutched his rifle with one hand, tool in the other. He placed the tool on the magnetic lock across the small of his back, his head turning towards a noise above them. It sounded like...movement. But faster. Hurried. And something scraping.

"Alor'ad, ni vaabir urmankalar whe karlah ol'averde..."1

Preliat said, thumbing the safety off of his rifle, and pressing it to his shoulder. The others could tell, now, that he was slightly worried. As everyone else, should share the same feeling. Preliat was getting spooked, something that didn't happen often.
"Captain, I do believe we have company..."

@[member="Zack Varad"]

I started to stand up and put my helm back on as the ship came to slow down. With the call of needing a door, A team of two guys started to cut open the door. I could hear something, and when one of the Mandos, had said that we had company I shook my head. Bringing up my rifle I walked up behind @[member="Preliat Mantis"]. I kept it low so it wasn't point right at him, but high enough that it was at the ready. With the adrenaline pumping through my veins, I seemed to have slightly lost the light-headedness as it was replaced with a headache. "Who goes first my friend, Cus this is not fething normal."

Rygel Larraq watched through the side viewport as the two volunteers carved a hole in the hanger doors and descended into the darkness that lay beyond. The lack of rushing air told Larraq that the hanger had already been depressurized before their arrival. Hopefully this section of the ship still had power... Over the communicator, Larraq spoke to his men. “You need to find out if this section of the ship is still powered. If it is, there should be a control station to the rear of the hanger. If not, you'll have to find a manual release lever near the doors themselves.”

Switching from the ship's Comm to the communicator in his ear, Larraq removed himself from the cockpit of the shuttle and made his way to the rear of the ship. The shuttle still needed to dock, but they probably wouldn't be able to pressurize the hanger. And that meant void-suits for everyone, himself included. There were a lot of answers that he needed to get from this ship, and he wasn't about to let a few technical difficulties stand between himself and his prize. "Everyone suit up. We'll be boarding in 10-15."

Hearing @[member="Captain Larraq"] I nodded my head speaking into my com, "Sounds mighty good. Bridge might have the power controls right?" Asking back, I didn't have an affinity for Ship, Hence my throwing up and why I could care less about them. Bringing my rifle up, I kicked down the broken part of the hull, and started to move my way inside. Checking round my corners, and doors, I found a few dead bodies that just floated. With the power off, the gravity generator, was not working.

Pushing my self off of door frames, and walls, I moved down the hall and stopped, A crash sound came to my ears. We were not alone.

Rygel Larraq listened to the communicator in his ear as he slowly slipped himself inside the void-suit. "Negative. The ship is over a kilometer long. There should be local override controls in that room. Look around." He needed to get in there himself. One way or another, they would have to dock the shuttle to unload the scanners and other equipment they had brought with them. But it was beginning to look like he would need to go in and get his hands dirty himself. Not that he minded getting his hands dirty, Larraq just liked to keep up a professional appearance.

He watched as the rest of his men donned their void-suits and prepared for the work that was ahead of them. True Mandalorians, many of them were already wearing void-capable armor. But many, like Larraq, needed to dawn special suits. All of them were armed though. Some, like Larraq, simply wore a pistol or one or two small weapons at their hip. Others brought full scale assault rifles and trench guns. To anyone else, it might seem like an assault party or a band of pirates. To Rygel Larraq, it was just another day of being Mando'ade.

Preliat flicked on his night-vision, the darkness replaced by a black and white view. Perfect clarity, even in the dark. Mandalorians liked their tech, that was for sure. Preliat used the magnetic locks on his boots to walk around, and glanced around. He found the local controls, flicking the lights and other machinations on. He had no idea what he was doing, he was mainly here as protection detail. Preliat stopped, as he heard scurrying. Air was gone, so he only heard the vibrations through his helmet. Sounded like...scraping. Preliat pivoted towards the other, long haired Mandalorian.

"Something, or someone, is definitely here....Captain Larraq, I'm advising we pull out, or wait for reinforcements. Something is off."

Preliat spoke into the headset, pulling up his rifle, and leveled it against his shoulder. Things were starting to get spooky. In a bad way.

@[member="Captain Larraq"]@[member="Zack Varad"]

Betna had tossed the plasma torch he'd used to help @[member="Preliat Mantis"] cut away at the door. As they entered, he took a good look around the bay. Debris floated here and there along with the occasional body. Most looked like they'd been killed by depressurization, but others showed signs of violence. He noticed Preliat was getting nervous and while he knew the other Mando wasn't exactly space savvy, he also knew the man didn't spook easily.

Arrbi moved over to the other Mando, using his magnetic boots to hold himself to the deck, but stopped short of asking the man what was bothering. Betna could feel the vibrations now, too. Pausing a moment to pull a small stick from his gear, he bent the item in half sharply and tossed the glow stick down the hallway near where he and Preliat stood.

A shadow stood for a moment before suddenly darting away from the light. The outline seemed malformed, but he couldn't tell anything else in that brief glimpse of movement. He could feel the vibrations begin to fluctuate, however. Betna looked over to Prelait, his visor blank and devoid of all expression.

"Vod, I'm beginning to hate it when you're right about things," he said calmly and evenly as the vibrations grew slightly stronger.

Taking into account of the sounds, and then the party of three of us that had all heard or felt the same things. I looked to them. "Stronger in numbers right?" I chuckled as it came out better in my head than it did in my voice that seemed to crack. Lifting my rifle as a shadow moved away from the light. I walked over and as I kneel down to pick it up, saw eyes light up in the darkness down the hall. With out even thinking, I lifted my rifle and fired rounds down the hall. "HOLY FETH!" I Yelled as I stood back up and moved back to the hall's wall.

The thing looked malformed and ran at me and only stopped when one of my rounds blasted it's head open, letting a black ooze come instead of the crimson blood that would freeze in the subzero temperatures. "Throw flares in the halls! Now!' Picking one from my armor, I threw it down the hall that the beast hd come from, only to see three more lined up.

"We get paid for this poodoo right?"

@[member="Arrbi Betna"], @[member="Preliat Mantis"], @[member="Captain Larraq"]

Betna watched the other as @[member="Zack Varad"] shot and killed some sort of creature in the hall. He pulled another glow stick from his web gear and cracked it, then tucked it into his shoulder plate as a makeshift IFF. He then snagged a few more and cracked them as well, tossing them down the hall. The zero G kept them floating as they bounced their way down the corridor, showing various nooks and crannies everywhere and more debris and bodies floating. Here and there, movement was seen in the shadows as the glow sticks passed.

"The shab did we walk in to, Larraq!" Betna called over an open frequency through the commlink in his helmet. "Things are gonna go to osik quick! You bringing more shooters or what?"

Rygel Larraq stood at the door with his men at his back. He had wanted to dock the shuttle first, but was on a schedule and the two men he had sent inside had encountered more trouble than any of them had anticipated. Glancing over his shoulder at the Mandalorians behind him, Larraq received nods of readiness from his men and activated the airlock. A brief moment of swirling air marked the cycling if the airlock.

The outer doors opened and Larraq was thrust into the vastness of space. To his right he could see nearly a quarter mile of ship stretch out into the heavens. Scrap metal and stone flowed past the ship like water in a current. Ahead of him, Larraq could see the debris of a shattered escape pod drift past. Among the wreckage was a pair of bodies. One was mangled by the wreckage of the shuttle, but her long auburn hair gave away her gender. Clutches in her arms was the second body. A tiny thing in a white dress and flowing blond hair stared at Larraq as it drifted past, teddybear still clutched tightly in one hand.

"Follow me." Larraq said emptily into his com unit. His men followed him with repulsors and maneuvering thrusters as he led them to the opening made by the first team. As he crawled through the doors and drifted through the hanger he broadcast on all frequencies. "This is Rygel Larraq, CEO of Mandal Hypernautics. All attempts at communication with the Celestial Blight have gone unanswered. Unless living survivors of the original crew are found, I claim this ship as salvage in accordance with international laws."

@[member="Arrbi Betna"]
@[member="Zack Varad"]

Grozurra followed behind his current employer and drifted along with repulsors and thrusters as he followed the other mando'ade inside the craft. While he was momentarily thankful that he couldn't smell the filthy hanger through the cold of space and the void-sealing of his Beskar'kandar, the thought was overridden by an overpowering sense of wrongness. This whole ship... felt wrong to Grozurra. He kept the opinion to himself as his HUD automatically compensated for the near-total darkness of the hanger's interior. Running lights lines the walkways and outlined the key mechanical controls at various points throughout the hanger, but by and large the place was dark and empty.

As the main group of Mando'ade landed with dull metallic clanks, their magnetic boots securing each of them to the deck, Grozurra continued ahead slightly and secured himself to a nearby wall and assumed an over-watch of the rest of the group. His bowcaster held tightly in both hands, the armored wookiee silently scanned the immediate area for danger.

@[member="Captain Larraq"], @[member="Arrbi Betna"], @[member="Zack Varad"], @[member="Preliat Mantis"]

Larraq stood by on the metal plating of the hanger's main walkway and waited for a response. But only static answered him. By the entrance of the hallway, in front of Larraq and his group of mercenaries and security officers, the first three scouts reported unusual contacts. Nodding to each of them as he approached, Larraq looked down at the corpses of the creatures that they had encountered. What little remained of them looked far from human and only vaguely looked humanoid. "Anyone know what these things are?" Larraq asked of the Mercenaries. But none responded and a few shook their head in the negative. "Then we sweep the ship and clear out as many as we can find. You," Larraq said pointing to a Mandalorian at random. "Go into that room at the end of the walkway. There should be controls for the hanger's main doors in there. Everyone else, spread out and sweep the hanger for any more of whatever those things were. You four," Larraq said as he nodded to the three that had initially entered the hanger and then nodding at the large Mandalorian on the wall. "I want you to scout out the main hallway and clear it of any... of whatever these things are. You should find an airlock on the other side of that door. Once you're through it, find your way to the main tram station and seal every side door from here to there. I want a secure hallway directly from here to the tram."

Once everyone had confirmed their orders, Larraq switched frequencies and informed the pilot of the shuttle that he would be able to dock soon.

@[member="Grozurra"], @[member="Arrbi Betna"], @[member="Zack Varad"], @[member="Preliat Mantis"],

"Uh, sure," Betna said as he spotted more movement. If he were to make a guess, it almost looked like whatever was out there was massing for an attack. "Ship's yours. Got it. I think whatever's on this thing might disagree with you."

Almost as if summoned, the shadows moved as one. Deformed creatures suddenly rushed from the shadows and charged towards the hangar. Betna didn't bother counting how many attackers there were and started shooting.

"Contact," he shouted into the commlink. "Hallway. Port side. Unknown number. Unknown-"

One of the chargers got too close and took a swipe with a clawed hand. Betna ducked the swing and stepped back, pumping a few rounds into the thing's face. As it tumbled away, the young Mandalorian saw more coming down the hallway, filling it almost entirely.

"Shab, I don't know what the hell these things are, but I could use some karking help over here!"

@[member="Captain Larraq"] @Grozzura @[member="Preliat Mantis"] @[member="Zack Varad"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom