Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Dancecard is full

Be careful what you wish for.
"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold." - Helen Keller

Maybe the third time will be the charm.

Another workout in an empty training room. Caltin had no fellow Masters around, no Knights, no Padawans, no droids, frell even the beverage cart was small. No, there was just him and some weights, a few weapons on the wall and open air. So he turned on what looked to be some odd looking black cylinder that lit up strangely in rhythmic reds, blues, and greens, pressed a few buttons on a datapad and walked to the center of the room after putting it down.

After it became clear that this cylinder was some sort of portable speaker and it was synched to the datapad (which was playing music), he began to move. It started slow, deeper breaths, neck twitches, head bobs, shoulder shimmies; it almost began to look like he was going to do some kind of dance. Frell, maybe he was. You might in fact say that he indeed was from the looks of it. No, there was no "ballet", or anything of the like, he was not getting ready to sprawl on a chair, pull on a chord and let a load of Elba water fall on him either. No, what he was doing was something unique.

His lightsaber ("Conservator" for anyone keeping score) was active. For every open air kick and punch he threw, it led into the next move which could include the weapon. It was difficult and contrived to explain without seeing it, but clearly he knew what he was doing. Valery Noble was "The Sword of the Jedi" and deserved the title, and if you asked him, Caltin would never truly try and take anything away from her in that regard. However it was clear that he was more than capable at what he does. If he could just get through a workout interrupted.

He was proficient in three forms of Martial Arts, but was by no means agile and it would be silly to assume that he was capable of performing the kicks in the manner that some of the more well known practitioners would. Seriously, the dude is six and a half feet tall and almost four hundred pounds of muscle. He's a friggin' walking Boulder.

I hate when you call me that.

You hate when I call you anything. The thing is, he's a brawler, but you can see the training in his moves and his style. It was nothing specific but a mesh of different things he has learned. There was a reason he looked like he did.

Come on in. I see you.

Unlike the last two times, he was looking directly at the person watching, something familiar about the guy. It looks like the third time would not be the charm... oh well.

TAG: Brandyn Sal-Soren Brandyn Sal-Soren

Last edited:
Brandyn knew that within was the potential for laziness and procrastination. It was his sister that pushed him to action. Really, it was his competitive nature that pushed him to be better than his sister, Briana. It this spirit of competition that led him to seek out a quite spot to practice his saber skills.

His search for such a spot was not quite over when he noticed a rather large figure practicing. Brandyn was impressed, and also intimidated. If this is what the Jedi Order was pumping out these days, well, Brandyn felt all sorts of inadequate.

Come on in. I see you.

"Well that's...."

Brandyn stepped out from behind the edge of the hallway wall. He waved sheepishly and whispered his next word, "...unfortunate."

Now completely within the training room, Brandyn pointed backwards. "I wasn't watching...long...I just...saw you and was about to move on...ah...sorry to bother you, master...names Brandyn. Brandyn Sal-Soren."

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold." - Helen Keller

"Sal-Soren"? Haven't heard that in a long time.

The name caught him off guard. He had not heard it in a long time, back in his days in the Old Republic. Twins, "Brandyn" of then... he saw potential in the kid and that was that. This kid looked nothing like him, but then again that was almost nine hundred years ago. No, the big man wasn't trying to say that this Brandyn was that one or anything, that would be silly. This is just a case a mistaken identity, in a manner of speaking.

Don't you dare tell me that you're Corellian.

He said with a laugh.

Frowning, Brandyn looked behind him for a more famous Sal-Soren...Briana maybe? He pointed at himself while mouthing the words 'who me?'

"You must have met my sister then...maybe?"

Then with the mention of the Corellia, Brandyn frowned. If anyone was to know he or his family, they would know of their connection to Naboo.

"Naboo. I'm from Naboo," he said before adding, "but my dad...he is Corellian."

Wow, the kid almost seemed insulted at the thought of being called a Corellian? Who could blame him really.

My.Daughter.And.Her.Mother.Were.Corellian!

So you get what I'm talking about! Anyway, it looks like this kid had a twin sister too. Interesting. Maybe it was a bloodline, or just dumb luck.

What can I do for you, Brandyn Sal-Soren of Naboo? I have a house outside the city limits of Theed by the way.

Last edited:

He smirked.

Kid, if you were bothering me I would have told you that I wanted some privacy by now. Don't worry. Come on in and take the load off.

Who knows, maybe he needed someone to talk to. Maybe he needed to blow off some steam.

What's on your mind?

Last edited:

BranPrfo5.png

DivSilver.png

BranProf4.png
Wearing: Dark Grey Jedi attire
Equipment: Standard lightsaber
Tag: Caltin Vanagor Caltin Vanagor

A sense of relief washed over Brandyn as he relaxed just a little. There was still a significant amount of hero-worship he found with those more experienced in the Jedi Order. It made interactions...awkward.

"What's on my mind?" Brandyn repeated, as if ripped back to the moment, "oh....ah...just family stuff, really."

A Jedi Master didn't need to be bothered by the musings of an overly angsty teenaged padawan.

DivSilver.png

Alright... I can pull teeth.

The kid in front of him was just like the Brandyn he once spoke to, but Caltin could deal with it and if he didn't want to talk then that was okay too.

Alright. well, it seems to be bothering you, so did you want to get some aggression out? Some exercise in?

resonant-staff-hilt-lit-6.png

"Vanguard" (Secondary - Long Handle)
0cf9376e75158d86a4aaeac9fb408128.jpg

"CONSERVATOR" (Primary - Long Handle)
HK-88 Robes, Battle Armor,Toraynor-Henkan(mind crystal added) Advanced Jedi Utility Belt
Starship: Spectre, (NC-1000 X-wing (Jedi Variant) in the hangar, Dilorian, and Bike both in the cargo bay, the late Karki Eusith's Armor, Shield, Temple Guard Lightsaber mounted on the wall)
Sanctuary Island

Last edited:

There we go!

Now we were getting somewhere. So as he walked over to one of the (training) weapon stands, took two training sabers and tossed one his way.

So, what did you want to do? As for my name? It's "Master Vanagor"... but when it's situations like this where it's just us... meh... "Caltin" is fine I guess

He was still one for protocol, anyone who knows him knew that, but the big man was coming around.

HK-88 Robes, Battle Armor,Toraynor-Henkan(mind crystal added) Advanced Jedi Utility Belt
Starship: Spectre, (NC-1000 X-wing (Jedi Variant) in the hangar, Dilorian, and Bike both in the cargo bay, the late Karki Eusith's Armor, Shield, Temple Guard Lightsaber mounted on the wall)
Sanctuary Island

Last edited:

BranPrfo5.png

DivSilver.png

BranProf4.png

"OK...Master Vanagor," Brandyn said, not being able to be as familiar as he would be to call the man by his first name.

Catching the training saber was easy enough. Catching the saber while its emitter was facing away from him? That was another thing. It took a moment of looking for the on switch for Brandyn to realize that it was facing the wrong way. His cheeks went red in embarrassment. You would think after months of being with the Order he could have gotten a basic like that right.

"I have had some training in Shii-cho...but nothing much else yet," he said, trying to remove attention from his error.

DivSilver.png

Slashing and cutting in open air with his own training weapon Vamagor pressed a button on his right vambrace that turned the music volume down. The big man then walked around Brandyn in a wide circle, eyes never leaving him.

Do not downplay "The First Form", Padawan. Shii-Cho has multiple strengths that most people do not realize. For one, the design is based to take on multiple foes, it is conducive to Jar'Kai and is strong in its own right.

Stepping into the traditional stance of Shii-Sho, blad across his body in front of him and free hand out, the big man went into a few of the slashes.

I once knew a Nautolan Jedi Master who faced a "four-armed" cyborg Kaleesh. The "sentient" was considered all but unstoppable with lightsabers and my friend made him look silly. He was a master of Shii-Cho. The point is that no form is truly stronger than another, they all have their own strengths and abilities. Now come at me, show me everything you have...

Sanctuary Island

BranPrfo5.png

DivSilver.png

BranProf4.png

Brandyn took the gentle reproof regarding his downplaying of Shii-cho in his stride. Master Vanagor was surely more of an expert than he. He would take the correction and role with it.
"I have read about some Jedi that became masters purely of Shii-cho," he said, commenting on his least favourite part of being a Padawan - the reading, "but it doesn't seem to have the cool factor these days."

"Everything?"
Brandyn said, he stifled a laugh of self-mockery.

To say that Brandyn's style was still over influenced by the choreographed fights in holofilms was an understatement. Subconsciously, it was still what he assumed that he was aiming for. This showed in his approach. He took a stance of basic Shii-cho, but his weight was constantly moving from back to front, before he pushed off from the front foot and charged with an unintentional battle 'noise'. In a flurry of broad sweeping slashes, Brandyn cut across from right to left, then diagonally upwards to the right before finishing with a downwards slash.

DivSilver.png

The "Cool Factor" comment somewhat irked the big man, though he did not show it. When would Padawans get that you do not need to all know "Djem So" and "Jar'Kai" and "Vaapad" to be able to handle yourself if you needed to? It was disappointing, but hey, he was a Padawan himself at one point and felt that way too when he was. Oh well. The kid had a proficient skill set with the Form so Vanagor did not see a problem there. It was now a matter of finding out what was. Once the kid was done, the big man asked...

So, what would have "The Cool Factor"?

Sanctuary Island

Last edited:
"Oh...sorry?" Brandyn said, after Caltin was done effortlessly fending off the younger Jedi's attacks. Brandyn was taken aback by the question.

"I've...not really thought about what has the cool factor," he said, feeling slightly as if he had done something wrong, "I mean. Ataru is pretty cool, now that I think of it...but I meant...that you know...the other Padawan talk is all. They are eager to get beyond Shii-cho, so it gives me the impression that Shii-cho is not generally thought of as cool. You know?"

He offered another couple of quick slashes. Left to right, and then back down the same path but in reverse.

"I am just glad they let me have a lightsaber!"

Fair enough. Just remember, every form has a weakness, and while it may not be "Cool", there are a lot of advantages that Shii Cho has over others, like Makashi. The second form is designed for one on one where Shii Cho takes on multiple foes. Ataru is eratic where Shii Cho is fluid.

He shrugged as he fended off the boy's moves, letting one slip and hit him in the arm. Vanagor did let him get a hit in, but it was not over the top obvious. Raising an eyebrow he simply said.

Personally, I think you would do well with "Niman", but I could teach you "The way of the Hawk-Bat" if you like.

Caltin HATES Ataru... "It's too Bouncy" is his only explanation, but if the kid, or anyone wanted to learn it, he did not mind teaching the form to the best of his ability. Bouncing on the balls of his feet, the big man waited for a response.

Sanctuary Island

"Niman?" Brandyn said with a quirk brow.

No one learns, Niman...

Humility, Brandyn.

"Isn't Niman...the diplomat's form?"
Brandyn said, failing to hide his disappointment.

The truth of the matter was that he had no idea what Niman really entailed and was being motivated purely by what he had heard other Padawan talking about. The poor Padawan was more subject to the so-called 'cool factor' than he realized.

"Niman would certainly be unique...I am happy to learn from you if you would teach me," he said, finding some level of appreciation to move on with.

With a tiny sigh, Caltin stopped... blade down.

"Cool Factor..."

The original Niman fighting style was practiced by the Royale Macheteros of the Kashi Mer Dynasty, who named it for the dual triumvirate of the Kashi deities. The style was adopted by the Legions of Lettow, a group of Dark-siders involved in the First Great Schism of the Jedi Order. After the defeat of the Legion at the hands of the Jedi, Niman was adopted by the Jedi Order, eventually being refined into the sixth form of lightsaber combat, referred to by the same name. While Form VI was largely adapted from this earlier fighting style, several noted Jedi considered the pure root of Form VI to be Form III. Being a "jack-of-all-trades" style with broad emphasis and little need for continuous and dedicated practice, Niman found a niche amongst Jedi Consulars who instead preferred to focus on diplomacy and meditation on the Force rather than combat. Ironically, Niman became the chosen discipline of the fallen Jedi-turned-Sith Lord, Exar Kun.

During the various wars against the Sith, Niman was prized by some for its general versatility on the battlefield, though heavily criticized by others for being insufficiently demanding. Over time, it became the standard in lightsaber training, and by the start of the Clone Wars, was one of the most common forms in the Jedi Order. In the post-war years, Niman remained studied and practiced amongst the Sith while the Jedi were hunted down in the Great Jedi Purge. Form VI lightsaber combat would eventually be rediscovered by the New Jedi Order, though until then, it was effectively replaced as the favored "jack-of-all-trades" fighting style by the Medium style of lightsaber combat.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom