Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Csilla-class Cruiser

Unity-class Cruiser
Pkwhz3f.jpg

Intent: To continue the update of the Galactic Empire fleet by providing a cruiser to fill a baseline role in larger fleet formations, as well as providing a flagship for much smaller interdiction squadrons.
Manufacturer: Imperial Shipworks/Junbei Hao Enterprises
Model: Unity-class Cruiser
Affiliation: The Galactic Empire
Modularity: None.
Production: Mass-produced.
Material: Durasteel and Refined Trimantium (Bridge and Engine sections)

Description: The Unity-class Cruiser was designed by Imperial Shipworks and Junbei Hao Industries, in conjunction with Fleet Command and various fleet officers serving as consultants, in order to provide the Galactic Empire with a baseline cruiser capable of holding its own in large-scale fleet engagements, as well as providing a flagship for small interdiction task forces and heavily frigate-based "wolfpacks". Though it packs a serious firepower punch, the Unity-class requires some protection from Tarkin-class Star Destroyers in large engagements as its own defenses are quite fragile against ships-of-the-line. Each ship of the Unity-class is named after a planet or system within the Galactic Empire, celebrating its diversity.

The Unity-class Cruiser makes use of the Shipboard Hypervelocity Guns, a large weapon resembling a cannon that fires collections of particles at tremendous velocities. The two Shipboard Hypervelocity Guns are mounted on the front of the cruiser. Originally, Imperial Shipworks attempted to fit the SHV-9s that were introduced by the Isard-II class Star Destroyer, but after a few testing sessions they realised that the SHV-9s were simply too large and unwieldy to fit on a cruiser-class ship. The SHV-9s often overheated and overloaded the Unity's much smaller Power Core Generator, rendering Particle and Ray Shields useless. They also presented huge accuracy problems, and often knocked the ship off its original trajectory after the particle slugs were fired. Therefore Imperial Shipworks and Junbei Hao had to design a compromise.

Their solution to the problem was the Light Shipboard Hypervelociy Gun (LSHV-11). Light Shipboard Hypervelocity Guns fire particle slugs at super-accelerated speeds, much like the larger SHV-9. Their rate of fire is 55 slugs per minute (5 a minute slower than the SHV-9),and they cannot fire for more than ten seconds at a time, and requires several seconds of cooldown before it can be safely fired again (at least four times as much cooldown as turbolasers). LSHV-11s fire particle slugs at a significantly lower velocity than the SHV-9s, and as such do less damage to particle shields and/or anything else that they hit. Basically, the LSHV-11s are designed to bypass ray shielding and batter particle shielding with a more consistent rate of fire than they are designed to handle, effectively punching through shields and allowing other batteries to come into play. Once through particle shielding, LSHV-11s can do very considerable damage to the hull and structure of a ship, so much so that a few seconds of constant fire against an unprotected cruiser-class ship could effectively cripple it, if properly aimed.

However, the Unity's main batteries present many drawbacks as well. Power draw, as with the Isard-II, proved to be a major issue. Once again there was a lengthy delay between the cessation of fire of the LSHV-11s and the re-raising of particle shielding (12 seconds), during which the Unity-class cruiser can only be protected from solid projectiles by its 15 flakguns. This makes the Unity extremely vulnerable in large-scale engagements when unprotected by larger capital ships (the Tarkin-class Star Destroyer often fills this role). An extremely skilled fighter pilot could possibly dodge the Unity's limited AA suite and drop a warhead down the barrel of an LSHV-11, taking out the battery and possibly affecting considerable internal damage to the vessel. Another drawback is the spinal mounting of the weapon, which requires the entire vessel to be maneuvered in order to aim the weapon. Thanks to the Unity's separated engine pylons, this is a little easier than it would be on a cruiser of an alternate design, but the Unity still requires extremely proficient pilots and weapons officers in order to get the best out of its main batteries.

The large, spreaded engine pylons allow for a higher level of maneuverability, particularly from a fixed position. The cruiser makes use of the concept of polar inertia most effectively, and can rotate a lot more quickly than most craft of its size and speed. It can also make sharp hairpin turns in zero gravity if pressed, at the risk of significant structural damage and under great duress.

The Unity-class cruiser is a strong offensive ship, but defensively it would be considered weaker than a standard general use cruiser. It provides a strong presence as the flagship of small interdiction squadrons, and can generally put paid to any threats it faces in that role. In larger fleet engagements, the Unity requires protection from other ships in order to make up for its defensive deficiencies. When protected by larger ships, the Unity can be used very effectively against the enemy formation and do a lot of damage, but without protection it is a liability to the fleet. The Unity-class cruiser requires a skilled fleet commander in order to be used effectively.
Classification: Cruiser
Role: General Use
Height: 120m
Width: 140m
Length: 600m
Power Core Generator/Reactor: Solar ionization reactor.
Hyperdrive Rating: 1.0
Minimum Crew: 270
Optimal Crew: 1200
Armaments: 10 x Heavy Turbolasers, 15 x Turbolasers, 13 x Light Turbolasers, 15 x flakguns, 2 x Light Ship Hypervelocity Guns (LSHV-11s), 2 x tractor beams
Hangar: Two squadrons of starfighters (TIE Qiangs), 4 x gunships
Non-Combative Attachments: Dedicated Energy Receptor, Hyperwave Signal Interceptor, Ray Shielding, Particle Shielding, Escape Pods
Passenger Capacity: 200
Cargo Capacity: 12 000 metric tons
Consumables: 2 years
Sublight Speed and Maneuverability: 6

Grand Admiral, First Order Central Command
It's a good start, but there's some problems.

As it stands, this ship has 204 Turbolasers.

The Heavy Guns configuration for Cruisers maxes out at 100 Turbolasers. It also allows for 20 Quad Lasers/Flakguns/Point Defense, and 6 Heavy Warhead launchers. Furthermore, you don't normally start grouping stuff into batteries until the 800-1000m range.

But a Heavy Gun focused Cruiser has NO fighter complement. A balanced Cruiser gets your 24 fighters, but goes down to 60 Turbolasers (and no HEAVY warhead launchers, though you still get a battery of regular ones).

I would lean towards balanced anyway, because it's supposed to be a general use Cruiser. I would also try and do something with those pylons in front (make them something similar to the Gyon's, perhaps? If necessary we can always dev thread up a special 'Particle Lance' tech or something for Imperial use. Don't be afraid to use the image for inspiration too. Those big engine pylons could feasibly allow the ship to make hairpin turns (via a Crazy Ivan, fire one thruster forward and one in reverse), albeit at significant structural stress and a certain amount of risk. But basically get creative. It's a cool image, make this write up worthy of it.

We'll need to dev thread that Particle Lance, don't really want to remake a smaller Gyon as those already serve a specific purpose. But yeah, I'll make edits. I was going to cut down on the turbolasers below 60 so I could have heavy warhead launchers instead of regular warhead launchers as well.

You could always have them be the Warhead Launcher instead. Whatever works, I just like the idea of us dev'ing up some special Imperial tech (which I'm attempting to do with Long Range Turbolasers).

Check the profile for the Isard-II. If you do want to stick SHVs (Ship HyperVelocity Guns) on these, make em like, LSHVs-11's or something. Because they're lighter than the monsters on the Isard.

@[member="Akio Kahoshi"]

Need to give more info on the LSHV-11s, perhaps a couple of paragraphs on the development of them, plus more strengths and weakness. Might do another paragraph on the engine pylons, then submit it?

That wasn't my idea. I named it the Csilla to reflect our recent change from the Atrisian Empire to the Galactic Empire. Csilla-class cruisers would all be named after planets and systems within the Empire, so the Csilla, Atrisia, Rakata Prime, Inysh, etc. @[member="Akio Kahoshi"]

One thing I noticed, "Two flights of 12 x starfighters (TIE Qiangs)." Twelve fighters is a squadron, a flight consists of four fighters. Personally I prefer to write simply "one squadron" so its more flexible, the TIE Katars for example have 16 fighters per squadron but are small enough they take up the same room as twelve Qiangs.

@[member="Rodrigo Satoshi"]

Of note as far as ship class names go, the class is named after the first ship of that group, but the naming convention can be whatever. For example the Ticonderoga-class Cruiser (first ship was USS Ticonderoga) but all the ships are named after battles.

So all the Csilla-class Cruisers could still be named after planets, but they'd still be the Csilla-class. /shrug

@[member="Cyrus Tregessar"] Yeah, I get that, but I just don't want any confusion as to these cruisers being Chiss ships, hence why I changed the class name. So the first cruiser will be named the Unity, and the second one the Csilla, third one Atrisia, etc.

Cyrus Tregessar said:
You could always have them be the Warhead Launcher instead. Whatever works, I just like the idea of us dev'ing up some special Imperial tech (which I'm attempting to do with Long Range Turbolasers).
CIS loves the unholy stuffing out of long range turbos, they don't require a dev thread, they just work on a X5 multiplier when counting them.

Rodrigo Satoshi said:
Well, this is in the factory queue. It seems slow so it might take a few days for them to have a look through.
I'm working on it, I'll probably get to yours later tonight or mid-day Wednesday if someone doesn't pick it up first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom