Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crystal Quest! - (Kat/Josh)

So it was finally time for Kat to discover her crystal to build her Lightsaber. It was an exciting time but Kat was also very nervous, it meant that she was ready to move a step forward in her Jedi training and take the next step in getting stronger. However, it also meant that Kat could no longer use her father's Force Staff which was something that was crucial part of her. It was the only weapon that her father left her, and the only item of her father left since the attack on Eshan. Kat didn't want to let it go, she wanted to just keep her ties to her father, her idol, as long as she could. But, to be a Jedi, she needed a Lightsaber.

First, she had to meet up with her Master, Josh Dragonsflame. Grabbing her Force Staff, twirling it in her hand, Kat thought about her choices on what Lightsabers that she could create. Most of the time she was better with a staff over a single handed weapon. Perhaps a saberstaff or Lightsaber Pike would best fit her fighting style. However, she wasn't sure that would be the best for her. Kat needed to talk to her Master about the process and ask him what he thinks would be best for her.

Kat sat on the bench in the gardens, looking around to environment and waited on her Master.

[member="Josh Dragonsflame"]

In the time since their sparring session he had taken Kat under his wing as her Master. There was still much for them to learn about the other, and much to work out. But with her present experience, he knew that she was ready to hold a lightsaber. Usually Josh waited until additional training and a mission without one with him before he decided this, but the Assembly was confident she was ready and he had no reason to go against their word. So here they were. Kat had proven her prowess in combat at least, so he supposed it wasn’t like there was no merit to the Assembly’s decision. He just hoped she had been properly trained to use the damn thing prior with training lightsabers and everything. That was Josh’s usual protocol, after all. No lightsaber until Josh knew you could use one. Not a charge blade, not a vibroblade, not a Force Staff, and certainly not a blaster. A lightsaber. No less. But the decision had been made, and the minute she had hers built, Josh would ensure that she was taught to use it before she took it to missions. For no matter what weapons she had wielded prior, a lightsaber was a completely different beast. While the decision as to her attaining it had been made by the Assembly, that meant his responsibility had become to ensure that Kat stayed alive to use it well.

Not that this was the first time things had been shot over his head. Heck, it was the second time recently. That whole thing with his “graduate” who was now a Knight was… Well, he didn’t like to talk about it. Perhaps he had been right to start looking at outside ventures when the Assembly hierarchy changed.

They would be heading off soon, he knew, and the Jedi Master made his way to the gardens within the Rest to meet her. Finding her sitting at a bench, he bowed gracefully.

“You ready?”

[member="Kat Decoria"]

While Kat hadn't been training with Josh long, Kat had gained plenty of experience beforehand with another Master and she had been going to many classes that were on in the SJO and fought in several battles since being Josh's Padawan. Her skills were growing, it was still a slow process but to better defend herself and prove herself as a Jedi Padawan with a Lightsaber. Wearing her Jedi robes for once, since Kat was never much of a fan of them, they weren't particularly nice and she did always find some oil stains on her robes from her work. Kat was adjusting her robes as she spotted Master Dragonsflame, he wasn't looking happy that Kat was moving forward in her training, it was odd. However, Kat could understand, the Assembly stated she was ready, which surprised her as much as it did him.

Kat tied her hair into a ponytail and looked at her Master. She nodded her head, "Yeah, ready when you are. Just not sure the Lightsaber I want..." Kat trailed off, she was nervous about the process and she wasn't sure what she would face for this trial. All Kat knew was that she was still far from ready to be a Jedi Knight, she still had lots to learn from Master Dragonsflame and other Jedi Masters. Smiling to her Master, she waited to see where they would be heading to find her crystal.

Unhappy about her progress? Never. Irritable that things had been fired over his head again? Perhaps. But he was happy as could be if the Assembly stated she had progressed this far. He could never be disappointed about a Padawan making progress. He just wanted to know for sure she wouldn't cut her head off with a lightsaber the minute she got one. He usually did classes that helped with that beforehand, he just hadn't had the chance to do them with her. So perhaps... Anxious was the better word to use here. This was a situation he wasn't used to. Usually when they went over his head like this, they usually suddenly were ready to graduate. Kat was not, she was just suddenly ready to use a lightsaber apparently. Which meant he still had to train her, without knowing her capabilities in that department.

It was alright though, he told himself. She had seen plenty of battle, the Assembly had said. She knew what she was doing, they had said. The problem was, all the battling experience in the world wouldn't do you a lick of good if you didn't know how to swing a lightsaber without taking your own head off. He wasn't doubting her capabilities, he just didn't know what she could do with a lightsaber as she had done her prior training without his guidance. He supposed he'd just have to ensure she knew how to use it as soon as she got it. He could work with this, he had decided in the end. It was a challenge as a teacher. He knew he could rise to meet it. As soon as they were finished here, her next lesson would be lightsaber drills at low power. And they'd do them again and again until he was satisfied, if necessary.

A curveball might have been thrown at him, but he'd still ensure she was a Jedi by the end of this. That was his job, after all. If she did hear about his argument with the Assembly, he hoped she would understand when the time came. And that he wouldn't trust even a combatant who had been in hundreds of battles, with a lightsaber if they hadn't been trained properly to use one. Even a master swordsman could easily be injured wielding one. It was unlike any weapon he'd ever encountered outside of them. One did not easily transition from vibroblades and swords, to lightsabers. It was a style and an artform all of it's own.

But she would learn this in time. For now, it was time to see what she was capable of. At the least, it seemed she was ready. He nodded his head, before pulling out something and handing it to her.

"I want you to use this lightsaber should we encounter any beasts in the caves" He instructed. "It's custom designed for Padawans. It's set to half power, so it won't cut as well as a real lightsaber, but it should do if you combine it with your Force abilities and treat them both as an extension of yourself. It's designed to automatically go down to low power if you hold it a certain way that's sure to hurt yourself. But if you do know how to use them, I'd suggest still being cautious" He explained. As for why it was only at half? Two reasons, really. For one, it was easier for it to more quickly dial it down should the preventive measures be necessary. But it was also somewhat of a failsafe if it didn't work. Better to have enough time to pull the lightsaber away if one made a mistake and the mechanisms failed to protect her.

"The thing is, it's still in the prototype stage. So there's no guarantee it'll always save you. But I can't teach you how to adjust to a lightsaber while forcing you to rely purely on your other weapons. Feel the Force in you, and always hold out your senses to feel for your lightsaber while you battle. The human eye can't always see a blade that moves that fast... But the Force can. That is why the Jedi use these weapons."

[member="Kat Decoria"]

While Kat had used practice sabers and trained with other Padawans using them. She generally preferred her Force Staff, it was something that felt comfortable in her hands and natural to use. She took the training saber and looked it over, it was simple and built for use. She was a bit worried about the fact that it wasn't the most stable condition for a weapon that was so filled with energy. She turned it around in her hand for a few moments and sighed. Seemed like she was going through with this crystal hunt, perhaps part of her wanted Master Dragonsflame to hold her back so she wouldn't have to give up her father's Force Staff. Just keep using it, however, she wanted to be a real Jedi and a Lightsaber was a Jedi's weapon, not a Force Staff.

Listening about the warning on beasts in the cave, Kat raised an eyebrow. "Really? There are beasts there? What kind? Curious because I would have thought that Jedi constantly going through the caves would have scared them away, especially if they are being killed..." Kat was interested in learning more, perhaps it had something to do with the crystals or something else like the Force guiding them there to protect the crystals from unwanted visitors. It was interesting to think of the different possibilities. Kat clipped the practice saber to her belt and nodded her head to her Master. "So which cave are we visiting? Are we going off world?" There were many questions Kat wanted to ask, while part of her didn't want to give up her Force Staff, another part was just super excited to be getting the chance to be a proper Jedi.

It would be an adjustment, he knew. But for Kat, it would be a necessary one. He hoped that she would understand that. Her Force Staff wasn’t a bad weapon, but a lightsaber was the weapon that would best suit her use of the Force. And it would set her apart from normal combatants, just as it did for hundreds of Jedi before her. Of course, that didn't mean she couldn't always build a lightsaber that better reflected her preferred style. That was absolutely an option, and one he would likely encourage if it was the best way for her to move forward. But there was just such a huge difference between any kind of lightsaber and normal weapons. The sheer weightlessness of the blade, knowing how to use it and how to see it at all times, especially in movement. That was why they needed the Force. No matter what style she took, she would need to be able to handle it with the upmost precision and foresight. One mistake could be deadly.

Asking her to use this weapon now was to test her in her ability to use it should combat arise. He hoped it wouldn't, but everytime he had visited the caves so far, there had been conflict. So he had decided to roll with the punches and use it as a lesson.

"We'll be going to Tython" He responded, remembering the strength of the crystals he had encountered on the world a long time ago as he began to lead the way. "I'm not sure what kind, but everytime I've gone to caves with my Padawans, there is always conflict. This is both my way of preparing you for that possibility, as well as getting to see for myself if you are ready for a lightsaber. That is not to say I doubt your abilities, of course. This is a basic test so I know you aren't going to cut your own arms off with a real one, is all."

He did his best to ensure she knew he wasn't insulting nor doubting her. He had been trying to get better at conveying things with her since the initial meeting.

[member="Kat Decoria"]

Tython, she had heard of that world but she couldn't be sure where she had heard it from. Something in the back of her mind said it was important to Jedi but Kat was blanking on it all. Things were getting intense in her training with conflict against the Mandalorians rising and the ever presence of the Sith in the background, Kat had been pushing herself as far as she could in terms of Force training. She was now getting better and was quite capable with her basic powers, even able to sense others emotions and some of their thoughts at time. It was far from what other Padawans could do at her level of training but Kat was pleased.

Raising an eyebrow, she gave a smirk to Master Dragonsflame, "well, I am Echani. Weapons as well as hand to hand combat are our speciality, so I doubt I would be chopping off limbs. But I understand your concern and appreciate any guidance using one." Kat bowed her head slightly. She had been getting better at judging Master Dragonsflame's mood and her attitude towards him. While she could be called rude or disrespectful by stricter teachers, she considered herself curious and easygoing, she also had to admit she was stubborn at times. Following Master Dragonsflame, Kat thought about the creatures they could be facing, curious if it would be actual creatures or there were be visions instead. She had heard some Padawans had visions on their quests to test their resolve and remove the conflict they felt.

"Any race can always use more training" He responded with a small smile. "Besides, prejudice, positive or negative, is how people get killed. But I'm sure you'll do fine. Can't hurt to make sure though."

The Ashen Planet of Tython was a verdant world that had much history as far as the Jedi were concerned. A world rich in the Force, it was the ideal place to find a lightsaber crystal. The trip there by ship was short, but when they stepped out, it was fairly cold. Josh had made sure that Kat had dressed warmly for the occasion.

"Have you put any thought into what sort of lightsaber you feel would fit you?" He inquired as they stepped out.

[member="Kat Decoria"]

The journey to Tython, Kat spent researching different Lightsabers and their benefits and weaknesses. She imagined herself with them in her hand and tried to think of a way that she could use each one in combat. However, Kat was still lost when she stepped off the ship with Josh, wrapped in a thicker cloak to keep herself warm. Kat looked over to her Master and shrugged her shoulders, "I think I am lost on that one Master. Lightsaber pike seems interesting, as does the saberstaff. But I am not sure I could surrender my Father's Force staff." Kat confessed as she sighed, she felt stupid for holding such sentimental value to it but it was all she had of the best man in her life.

Stepping on the ground, Kat looked around and sighed, "what happened here? Wasn't this one of the worlds where the Jedi started?" Kat asked as she was surprised that there weren't more Jedi living on the world.

"Would you be comfortable with modifying the Force Staff?" He inquired toward Kat after a moment of thought, taking seriously that she held some level of sentimental value for her weapon. "By what I've seen of it, through some tinkering it might be possible to get the proper parts into it. But we wouldn't be able to do that here on Tython, we'd need to return to the Rest and consult a proper engineer to make that happen. You'd also have to accept that as you'd be using it so commonly, if it is an item of sentimental value, it may be broken in combat -- and thus may be better suited to being hung up in your home instead of being placed at risk if the item is of considerable sentimental value."

When the question came up of the state of the planet, he let out a sigh. "War" He answered. "Jedi win battles and lose battles. We win wars and we lose wars. The Jedi have existed on many different planets, including this one. When they were driven off, they moved on. Just as the Silver Jedi Order once existed on Voss, and now are on Kashyyyk. But this world is still a place of great significance to the Jedi, and I'm sure at some point, if the faction that governs this planet allows it, Jedi may settle here again one day."

Soon enough, they arrived at a cave mouth. The Force was incredibly strong here, they would be able to feel it immediately.

[member="Kat Decoria"]

Kat thought about adjusting her father's staff into her Lightsaber, it was something to consider but she wasn't sure that it would be appropriate or that her mother and sister would approve of her doing such an action. However, it would be the easiest way to sort out the dilemma that she was in currently. Kat breathed out slowly before raising an eyebrow, making the Lightsaber pike wasn't that complicated, at least not to Kat. "Well, I am an engineer myself, and I went over different Lightsaber designs while we were in hyperspace. I can build one here if I have the parts." She looked at Josh curiously, she had never understood of not using a weapon in battle, to hang it up. Seemed like a waste of a weapon, especially one that can be very useful. "No, I don't think a weapon, especially a good one should be shelved. However, that is my opinion."

Looking around the ruined planet, Kat felt sad, it reminded her so much of Eshan after the war between the CIS and UCM. A planet left in wreck and so much death that didn't need to happen. "It is truly sad to see a planet become like this. I hated seeing Eshan forced to be in a similar situation. Hopefully, one day we can return Tython back to the glorious appearance it once had." Kat said with a small level of optimism in her voice. Looking around, Kat wasn't sure where they needed to head. "Shall we start heading to the cave then Master?"

"If you feel that you would be most comfortable wielding it, and wish to continue wielding it as a lightsaber, then I'm sure I have the parts on me to make that happen" He spoke up, giving her a gentle smile in turn. He could understand her philosophy, at least. And he wasn't surprised whatsoever. But he wanted to bring up the alternative just in case it was her style. "I have plenty of experience in building lightsabers, and have re-purposed weapons into them before. I'm sure I could help you if you need it."

As they approached the cave mouth, he considered her words carefully. "Perhaps one day we can" He spoke softly. "It's just a matter of how."

The cave itself would resonate hard with the both of them. The sheer level of Force presence here would be staggering, perhaps even overwhelming to some.

[member="Kat Decoria"]

Thinking about Josh's offer to help her with building her Lightsaber, Kat shook her head, it was a process that she felt that she must do for herself. Building the weapon that she would have to use for the rest of her life, it was something special and for the Jedi a sacred process. Looking over to Josh, she could feel the power that filled the cave as they approached. Thinking about the state of the Tython and the future of the planet, Kat was concerned with the lack of faith that Josh was displaying, was Tython that far gone that he couldn't see the chance for it to recover.

"Well, terraforming the planet could give us a chance to recover the planet once again. It worked for Telos after it suffered terrible bombardment." Kat stated as she entered the cave and looked around it. The Force was strong but she had felt strong presences in the Force before, after the battle of Azure, Kat could feel the powerful Dark Side energy that a Force User had used on the planet when she visited the world. It was strong and terrifying, she never realised how strong someone could be with the Force before that moment.

"So, what should I expect to see? I have heard that some people have visions and such when searching for their crystal." Kat commented as she looked around the cave, curious.

He nodded his head when she indicated she had no interest in help with building a lightsaber. "If you find you have need of my aid, only call on it" He responded, and that was his only further word on the topic. If she wanted to do it herself, she was free to. He would be there if she needed the help, and there to support her either way.

The topic turned to the planet's condition. Honestly, it wasn't a lack of faith at all. Just that it would be a matter of figuring out how. If they had the how and it was reasonably plausible, a Jedi Order would have done it by now. Kat brought up terraforming, and he nodded his head lightly in turn. "That's certainly an option. Though it comes at the risk of damaging the planet and the life on it further, and potentially even destroying the Force energies that give this planet the type of life it is known for" He brought up. "The Techno Union used to terraform planets willy nilly. It was a mess, as they did it with reckless abandon and only with regard as to what would benefit their businesses. A planet's ecosystem is delicate, and one has to be cautious in considering what they may be effecting. There's no telling what or how many species' went extinct from their reckless tampering. It's a great responsibility, playing god.

Not that the option isn't plausible. If the Silver Jedi have the means..." He trailed off with a shrug. The Union's practices disgusted him and had put him off on the idea of terraforming since. But if a responsible party used it... Well, he supposed it was possible, right?

They moved into the cave, and he took a moment to steady himself as he was hit with the overwhelming wave of Force signatures radiating from within. They were strong, but uncontrolled. That told him the presences weren't human. They ran amok, charging all around and through anything that came into their path. That was why he had accompanied Kat. This could be too much for even the toughest, especially if they weren't used to it. His duty was to ensure she had support if she needed it.

When she asked about what to expect, he stroked his beard a moment. "It's always varied whenever I've come here" He admitted. "The crystals within all have different presences, all inhuman and uncontrolled. Sometimes their presence attracts creatures, who may attack if they see us. These presences, moving about in different ways, uncontained... People and animals tend to react differently to them. You could have those visions you mentioned - I've had Padawans tell me they've seen things - or perhaps they will root through your mind aimlessly. Or they may not see you at all. Keeping calm is the best way to go here. Relax and ensure you are composed before we get in too deep.

Your main goal here should be to find a signature that calls to you. One that feels similar to your own. That will serve as the best crystal for your lightsaber."

[member="Kat Decoria"]

Nodding her head, she understood his position, it was good to offer help and there were other Padawans who were less skilled in mechanics than she was so it would be sensible that he should offer assistance if it was needed. Kat looked around and nodded her head when Josh moved the topic back to terraforming and the consequences of that could occur. "Well, surely one could go down the route of Telos IV restoration? The planet had been bombarded by Sith and was restored to the way it was before with Ithorian help. At least, I had read about that before, I was looking into planetary restorations for Eshan and came across it." Kat admitted, Eshan was not the most habitable planet at the moment with the lingering aftereffects of the Mandalorians still on the mind of many Echani.

She stretched her limber body and rocked her shoulders, she was pumped and ready to face whatever the cave had to show her. The idea that the crystals were uncontrollable and called out to other creatures seemed somewhat silly to her, how was she meant to build a Lightsaber with an item that she could not control, surely there would be some way to control the crystal that she would have. Gripping her staff firmly, she looked over to her Master, "So, did you face during your first crystal hunt?" Kat asked, curious to learn more about her Master as she stepped into the cave, looking around the cave noting the various crystals that are around.

"So, I know that I can't just pick any crystal but what happens when I lose my Lightsaber or the crystal is destroyed? Can I no longer have a Lightsaber or can you find another crystal connected to you? Or do you just pick any crystal that is laying around at that point?" Kat asked, she was curious, not planning to lose her own crystal but wanted to know what would happen if that was to occur and with the conflict with Sith rising, that was very likely.

"Possibly" He responded curtly at her questions regarding terraforming. "If handled delicately, it could be done. That would be something to take to the Assembly at a later date. Terraforming is resource intensive, and needs to be done right. With research and proper care. Worst case scenario... Relocating what creatures may be driven to extinction somewhere more habitable to them, as many as we can. Though in this case, I don't know how many races are left here. Between the climate and the heavy force presence, there may not be much left that lives here. But there are some, I know that for sure from past trips."

She asked him about his first crystal hunt as they strode in, and he thought it over a moment. "My Master didn't think I was worth the effort to accompany me, so another took her place. I encountered creatures drawn to the crystals, and had to dispatch them to move forward. This new Master felt I was ready to be thrown to the wolves, so he disappeared when I stepped inside. Wouldn't recommend that if you ever bring Padawans here. If they wish to be tested, let them. But otherwise you should be ready to assist if need be. Regardless of what challenges await in here."

She next asked about what happened if her lightsaber or crystal was destroyed and he shook his head at most of her guesses. "You'll be looking for a crystal with a signature similar to your own. That crystal will not be the only one of its kind, though I definitely wouldn't recommend letting your lightsaber crystal be destroyed."

A rumble could be heard through the cavern. But the question still remained, what would await her within? A mighty beast? Or perhaps a vision? Or maybe nothing at all?

[member="Kat Decoria"]

Listening to her Master's explanation on the terraforming, she knew that there would be risks but with the right people behind it then there was a chance that things would go smoothly. However, she was much more interested in what he had to say about his first time getting a Lightsaber, it seemed that he had a lot more challenging time than most when it came to his crystal hunt, she was curious to what she would be expected to face in this cave. There were beasts, she knew about the potential visions and whispers/noises one could hear. It was odd that the crystals would cause such danger for people to get a Lightsaber, but if it was easy then everyone in the galaxy would have a Lightsaber she guessed.

Looking around, Josh talked about how there were other crystals that would be attuned to her Force signature which was curious since she could make a bunch of Lightsabers and throw them at Sith. Though she figured that the crystals would only come to her in her need of them, not just on her whim she nodded her head to Josh. "I know, wasn't planning to lose it or get it destroyed but when fighting Sith and other enemies, things happen out of my control so I figure I would check so I know what to do when moving forward." Kat explained as she wandered through the tunnels.

Kat. Come. Come. Kat. Whispers barely audible on the breeze as she walked, looking around and sighed, the voice was familiar but she couldn't remember where from. "I... do you hear a voice?" Kat asked her Master as she moved towards the voice.

"Don't think too much on it. Focus on the here and the now" He recommended as they strode forward. Indeed, voices called. As they almost always did. But he had learned to block them out after a few visits. Kat though, he knew it would be harder considering it was her first time. Though if they ran into any creatures that came too close to the crystals, their behavior could be... Unpredictable.

The rumbling grew a little bit more notable. The blonde haired Jedi let out a light exhale, keeping his composure as he worked it back to base. He looked to Kat then, curious. What was she hearing? Was she seeing anything? Memories, perhaps? Or something more? The crystals here could do many things to a mind. Relive memories, even create new scenarios based off them. One of his Padawans had attacked thin air, claiming them to be the Sith Lord that killed their family.

Everyone was different.

Kat Decoria Kat Decoria

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom