Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Crane Class Mines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krass Wyms

Jedi Tech Division
Factory Judge
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: Saotome Foundry
  • Affiliation: Closed-Market
  • Model: Self Duplicating Gravity Mines
  • Modularity: No
  • Production: Semi-Unique
  • Material:
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Gravity Mine
  • Size: Very Large
  • Weight: Extremely Heavy
  • Explosive Type: Gravametic Disruptions
  • Delivery Method: Magnetic Attraction
  • Effective Range: Point Blank
  • Area Of Effect: Large
  • Stopping Power: Extreme
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Duplicating: Designed with programmable matter reserves and the ability to draw in matter to reproduce itself. Each mine has enough to make two more of itself.
  • Synthetic Stygium Crystal Cloaking Device: Designed with a small cloaking device so that the mines can be fielded and pur into paths of enemy forces without being detected.
  • Gravity Mines: Designed to when activated and detonated to create gravity waves that break down molecular bonds of metal and ships they are used against turning them potentially into powder.
STRENGTHS
  • Self Saturation: Designed to be deployed in areas of debris and where protection is needed. With the duplicators and molecular furnace they can create more of themselves making one ale to do the job of many with time.
  • Magnetic Surfaces: It is designed to be attracted to most metals in the galaxy but specifically non-metalic surfaces like the Starskimmer-series Hull won't attract them.
WEAKNESSES
  • Time and Resources: While there is a small amount reserved within that allows it to duplicate twice normally. Pulling in matter that can be broken down but the time it takes to create a second mine can take twelve hours for a fully functional mine.
  • Degradation: The duplication process is good but in the long term starts to degrade as it is making a copy of a copy of a copy. The larger a minefield becomes the further out might have less effective stealth capabilities.
  • Proximity: Distances in space can be larger then many think and proximity for the magnetic attraction of the mines requires ships to pass close near it.
DESCRIPTION
Designed for the Atrisian commonwealth and second fleet. The self duplicating stealth mines are less about overpowering with destructive force... though they do have some power with gravity shockwaves to tear at the molecular structure of an object rather then outright explode. The main design features is its ability to gather material and debris and then self duplicate which means deploying one can eventually with enough materials fill in an area while taking away the debris. The need for the mines to be mass produced though was never a question or issue as getting enough crystal for the stealth effects and ability to copy them was hard enough. Instead Krass set about to have it be a controlled volume that could be monitored to prevent theft.

Last edited:
Krass Wyms Krass Wyms - Apologies for the delay, some medical issues rendered me unable to focus for longer than intended. So, without further ado, let's get into the nitty-gritty of this submission.

Let's start with your ratings. Presently, this submission is considerably underpowered, as my count came out to (-10/+4) - which means that you could alter the rating scheme by a total of six points until it's technically considered balanced. However, because of the power that's presented, along with the variable functionality that's woven into these mines - we can keep the rating scheme as is if you'd like.

With that being said, I'm hesitant to approve of a submission that can effectively turn an entire battlefield's worth of debris into a potentially limitless source of gravity mines, especially as they'd all be built with their own versions of cloaking generators and synthetically reproduced stygium crystals. Yes, this submission is limited by reproduction time and resources, but as time's fluid in a majority of Open Roleplay scenarios - especially preludes to invasions or skirmishes - I feel as if that factor's basically negated in favour of shoring up a planet's spatial defence network prior to the action of the thread taking place.

So, I would recommend mentioning some additional weaknesses to counter-balance the power of this submission. For example, with its effective range being point-blank - when coupled with the massive distances in space - could mean that a ship would have to get dangerously close to these mines for their magnetic attraction to take place. This could be a way to limit their effectiveness in Open Roleplay scenarios while still retaining their destructive power, and having it fleshed out might reduce any future confusion that might come into play because of the two values chosen for the Effective Range and Area of Effect ratings.

As this isn't explained in the submission, but might be worth mentioning, are these mines programmed to go after specific magnetic signatures or are they indiscriminate? If they're the latter, that would wreak havoc on anything that goes into this minefield - be it a starship, metallic debris, or various other stellar phenomena with a magnetic charge. That could also mean other mines that might be pulled into proximity of one another through stellar drift, or chasing after a magnetic signature. If they're the former, that could be a limiting factor as newly encountered signatures might not trigger them to react as intended.

From there, you could even mention the possibility of imperfection in the duplication process - as the larger the field that's created, the more likely that the reproduced crystal isn't going to work as intended through some marginal flaw or difference in its compositional structure. As I've mentioned in another submission - an administrative decision was made in regards to fleet-wide cloaking devices. While this isn't anything close to a fleet, per se, it has the potential to reach similar volumes if given the time. So, perhaps, this could be something that's woven into the submission to counteract and negate that scenario from ever occurring.

Making larger fields a double-edged sword for both the attacker and the defender, rather than just a massive spatial hazard for only one party.

Naturally, these are just suggestions. Please feel free to use them as your own, or to inspire your own version(s.) But, with that being said - I think this submission needs a few more written drawbacks to be balanced in my eyes, especially with the concern regarding the sole weakness mentioned earlier in this reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom