Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coruscant: Pins and Needles

@[member="Baros Sal-Soren"]

The day was going by relatively slow for Teyla, who had been holed up for most of it staring at security cameras and playing catch up on some over-due sector reports. It was a necessary evil that all officers had to succumb themselves for at the end of the month. Using the pen to her datapad, the brunette finished up the end of one report and closed it. The device she bought was smaller than the average product and fit snugly into her back pocket where she tucked it away.

Another officer cracked open the door and slid in his foot to keep it open, pushing through the rest of the way with shoulder first, then body. "Cup of Caff?" Veon inquired, tantalizingly dangling a steaming cup in front of Teyla. Who, in return, appreciatively removed the item from his full hands. "Thanks. I really needed one of these!” Teyla said, lifting the cup to her lips and taking a sip before fitting it snug between her legs and turning an inquisitive gaze toward her partner. “So, you were gone a while...long line?"

The towheaded Coruscantii native shook his head and sluggishly threw all his weight down into the swiveling chair next to Teyla. "Nah. I knocked into someone and had to go back for another cup."

Teyla just smiled and motioned toward the display screens. "Well, you're not missing much." Fortunately for the both of them, their shifts would be coming to a close in a few hours.

Veon took another sip of his caff and shrugged his shoulders, "That’s how it goes."

"Doesn’t make it more enjoyable." Teyla quipped, the silence returning.

Maybe, just maybe, something interesting would brighten their dull day.

"No. I was told I did not need one. My assistant assured me that there would be one awaiting my arrival here."

"Sir, please calm down."

Baros sighed, lifting a hand slightly to brush away the comment. He had barely raised his voice, allowing on the smallest amount of frustration to seep out. "Would you allow me to call my assistant so she can sort this mess out?"

The woman at the port terminal shook her head. "I'm sorry sir...at the moment you are an illegal entrant into Coruscant. We will need to detain you and contact anyone that can answer our questions while we hold you for questioning."

"What? Are you serious?" Baros frowned, keeping his calm but not his cool. Inside her seethed. Wethl would get the silent treatment for a few days because of this shambles.

"Please sir, if you will follow me."

"I have been awake for a long time...and travelling for a couple of days...could I please just call my assistant. Perhaps there is something simple someone here missed...she can explain it all to you."

"We will contact her once we have taken your statement."

"Ah, to hell with it," Baros muttered as he followed the woman to a gunmetal grey room housing only a couple of chairs, a table, and a security camera in the corner. This was not a good day to be Wethl, or Baros.

@Teyla Ee'everwest

"PFFT!"
Just as Teyla was taking a sip of her still very-hot Caff, he came onto one of the cameras and out spewed the brown liquid onto the display screens.

"What the frak??! Seriously?!" Moaned an irritable Veon, grumbling a line of curse words under his breath and scrambling to get out of range of any more spray.

Embarrassed, Teyla turned to quickly grab some extra rags from the utility closet, handing one to Veon to clean up, and wiping up the rest of the mess herself while still staring at the display, brows furrowed, obviously stewing. "That's HIM!" she growled, pointing an accusatory finger at the screen.

"Who is him!?"

"HIM!" Teyla kept on, tapping her pointer on the small image of Baros Sal-Soren sitting in the secured detention room. Teyla clentched her teeth, "That's the shik I told you about, Baros. Sal. Soren."

"Ahhhha!" Dawning realization struck, and a grin of the mischief sort, lit up Veon's features. "I remember now. He's from that job you mucked!" Veon and Teyla's relationship was of the playful sort, but the smirk on his face quickly melted under Teyla's death glare.

"Tune in on that channel. I wanna know what he's being held for."

"Wow. Demanding. Whatever happened to 'please'?"

"Veon..."

With a raised brow and shrug of his shoulders, Veon fumbled around with a few buttons until the conversation from that room was audible.

Bureaucrats. How Baros despised them. It took them three times as long as it would take someone on his staff to do the same thing. They had the contact details. All they needed to do was make the call and learn the details they needed, but no. They had procedure, filing, water cooler talk and moaning about lack of pay rises recently all on their schedule far above getting Baros out of here.

Sitting still was not an option, so Baros remained on his feet, pacing like a caged animal. Occasionally he glanced at the chrono on the wall, and then at his watch to confirm they were saying the same thing. An hour? Really? How bloody long would it take?

Fully aware of the camera the whole time, Baros finally turned around and looked straight into the camera and calmly spoke.

"One hundred thousand credits to anyone watching this that can get me legitimately through in 10 minutes. Your time starts now."

@Teyla Ee'everwest

Teyla was quietly listening, watching and somewhat gloating.

No one had come to check on him within that entire hour. He was pacing, obviously getting impatient and edgy. Then came his offer.

Biting her lip and following through with a heavy breath, the brunette placed two fingers at the temples of her head and rubbed hard as though to prevent the onslaught of a migraine before it happened. This was going to end badly.

With Veon's eyes on her, the statuesque girl answered his silent question. "Look, that money could compensate for what I lost that night."

Veon straightened in his chair and cocked his head toward Teyla, fingers tapping on the desk. "You know how it's going to turn out, after what happened last time." The disapproval in his voice was not misplaced, but Teyla dismissed him and reached for her jacket.

"...Neither of us know that." she retorted, trying to convince her mind otherwise of the truth, all the while adjusting her coat and straightening the fabric.

"Teyla..."

"I'll be back soon."

"You know I'm right!"
The door sighed shut behind his fleeing partner, and Veon glanced back at the screen where the Sal-Soren continued to pace around. "You two play all nice like now." This, he knew, would be amusing.

- 4 Minutes Later -

With an effort, Teyla had finally forced herself to relax and let off some built up tension. It was appalling that Baros thought he could buy everyone off with money and just as easily get off the hook. Sadly, she was the dolt who was down there to collect on the cash, but there were other reasons of motivation for her as well.

The door slid open, and a few clicks of her boots brought her inside the Lions Den.

"Mr. Sal-Soren? Could you use some assistance?"

@Teyla Ee'everwest

The pacing continued. Baros was growing more and more agitated by the moment, but he kept it as hidden as possible. He would likely need to create as good an impression as possible to expedite his progress here. Anyone that took a dislike to him would likely prolong his stay in spite, or at the very least not rush to help. This is why his heart sunk significantly when the door opened and a woman walked through that he knew already.
"You."

It was a momentary spot of weakness as he allowed her to hear his disappointment and frustration all at once. Then the charm switched on as he realized things would have to be done extra smoothly to insure he got what he wanted. "I insure you my offer was not meant as a bribe...legal fees can be steep...I am willing to pay for good representation..."

A smile bedecked his slightly stubbled face. "We got off on the wrong foot last time," he said walking forward to greet the woman in uniform (surprisingly so), "pleasure to meet you...I am Baros Sal-Soren...and you are?"

Baros initial reaction and response was what Teyla had expected given the previous circumstances of their first meeting. It went without saying that she wasn't exactly keen on being here either. "Your memory is sharp, I see."

Teyla was determined though, and was going to keep this as business professional as possible without letting him crawl under her skin like last time. The little fact that Veon was also watching the security footage streaming, helped keep her conscientious as well.

Baros seemed to be in a tight enough position that he was also conscientious of his circumstances, and he'd quickly started to toot his horn in a new tune. His options were nothing but slim pickings and he needed her. It was somewhat nice to be in a reversal role.

In regard to his explanation of the credits, Teyla just shrugged dismissively and removed the datapad she'd tucked into her back pocket earlier. "My only objective is to get you released as quickly and painlessly as possible." and that was all she would say about the money.

Picking up her pen, Teyla opened up his file and began to scroll through the information, looking up when Baros started walking towards her in greeting. Placing the pen on top of her datapad, she reached out a hand and returned a practiced smile. "CSF officer Teyla Ee'everwest. Nice to meet you." Last meeting, she'd given him a false identification to protect herself, hopefully the little bit of deception wouldn't cause any more of an issue.

Motioning toward the general direction of the table, Teyla placed down her datapad on it's smooth surface and took a seat, offering for Baros to do the same.
"Your file says that you arrived without having a Standard Passport?"

Standing tall, and calmly still Baros bowed his head and greeting and shook her hand firmly, but not roughly. "Teyla...beautiful name," he said with a smile, "and Ee'everweat sounds like it has quite the history too...one I would love to hear about some time."

She instantly raised the issue of his delay and incarceration (though it was termed questioning, which would have been more acceptable should they have questioned him half the time of his stay in this bland room). He sighed a little and tilted his head to the right. "Yes...that...my assistant assured me the appropriate details had been filed..."

Walking to the door, Baros waved with his hand.

"Somewhere out there is someone that has all of this information sitting in their cue of jobs to run through...but perhaps they have taken an extra long lunch break due to a dentist appointment...or maybe they have come down with a stomach bug and not transferred their job cue over to another station...whatever it is...I have absolute confidence that you can find it and resolve it quickly. I believe in you...@Teyla Ee'everwest."

For now, there was no bickering. Simply one man who wanted to get to wherever it was he was going. Teyla therefore didn't pay much attention to the genuinity of his kindness, chalking it up as being just another part of politics.

With the information gathered, it was time to start digging to the root of the situation that Baros found himself in. There was a possibility that the appropriate files for his passport had been sent to the wrong government office and would need to be transferred over. Like he said, someone somewhere already had all of this on their desk. This was a job of customs, and Teyla wasn't a fan of dealing with them. More often than not, they were stale faced, distracted, and habitually misplacing information. Not a very smooth functioning division. Whatever the case, time was being wasted. Standing up and pushing in her chair with one fluid movement, the young officer once more pocketed her datapad and gave Baros a reassuring nod.

"I'll see what strings I can pull, and figure out what the hold up has been. I'm hoping to get you out within the hour, hopefully less. I can't make any promises though." She never promised anything unless said with certainty that she could deliver on it, and there wasn't enough to be able to give him that assurance yet.

There was no guarantee that he wouldn't be taking the next shuttle off planet.

- 20 Minutes Later -

One after another, Teyla patiently picked and piddled her way through several workers and up the ladder of management. Their own agendas and other more important issues, had taken precedence over Baros case, but Teyla was finally able to put in an order for the necessary passport.... only after putting out from her own pocket.

There was just one problem...

Arriving to the detention room where Baros was, the young officer stepped through the door with a datapad tucked in her arms. She offered a tired smile, looking about as frazzled as she felt.

"Your assistant sent the paperwork to the wrong facility, apparently a common mistake. But there's always loops to jump through."

Teyla walked over to the table and set down the datapad in front of Baros. "While they were able to put in an immediate order for the passport...the previously filed work that your assistant sent in is void because of authoritative issues. In other words..." she tapped the electronic device that she set down and began to scroll through page, after page, after page... "You need to fill all of this out. Then I have to send it in for verification and go retrieve your passport with a signed document of release to pick it up."

Having paced for too long already, Baros finally found a seat on the cool metal chair. Such was the length of his wait though, he had grown tired of sitting on the seat and then again grown tired of pacing, before sitting and growing uncomfortable again on the seat. This was truly ridiculous. It was proof again that the ineptitude of government office knew no end. Even if Wethl had been in error, it surely did not take people this long to communicate efficiently, thus it was inefficient and unsatisfactory.

When Ee'everwest entered the room, Baros turned and noted the standard, bland looking datapad under her arm. This could mean only one thing, he had work to do now! As she explained the situation Baros sat down and sighed in frustration. Pulling the datapad over he started without complaint on the task set before him. It was a good thing there was someone there to talk to though, some way to pass the monotony.

"Alright...let me do this then," he said with a defeated smile, "tell me a little about yourself Miss Ee'everwest...we clearly got off to a rocky start...is the CSF aware of what auspices you were acting under when we meet last?" He then mouthed the words so as not to get her in trouble, "Self employment?"

Surprisingly, Baros was taking this better than she thought he would and immediately the man set to work. Teyla was at least impressed by his efforts to keep calm, and was furtherly thankful that this part of the process was going about as smooth as could be expected.

Teyla was standing aside, patiently waiting in silence until he was finished so she could move onto the next task, but Sal-Soren was in a seemingly chatty-mood, bringing up what they both knew at one point or another, would be mentioned. At least he had been discreet. "I don't make it a point to inform my Captain of my personal activities. Otherwise, there's not much to tell that's worth mentioning."

Shifting the attention, Teyla steered the conversation further by asking about Baros instead. "What about you, Mr. Sal-Soren? What can you tell me about yourself that the tabloids can't? Seems like they often detour from the truth." Did she read tabloids? No. In passing? Yes. Who didn't? The rich and famous were often the topic of conversation, above that of political, or local activities happening. Teyla thought it was a joke, the populace needed to wake up and face reality. Besides these truths, Teyla was curious about Baros, trying in her own way to discern his nature and who he truly was beneath the layers of fame and fortune.

"Oh really? And what other activities do you get up too?" Baros said without looking up from his work. He was clearly poking at her a little as his tone was playful. In his mind it was better to get through this as quickly and painlessly as possible. If Teyla was not impressed by him enough to continue helping then he could find himself back to square one. It was vital that he charm her a little, even if he did not particularly care too.

Scanning through the words on the datapad, Baros insured that he did not miss anything but instead kept things going from question to question. It was monotonous but vital it went through properly.

"All stories have an element of truth," Baros said, actually looking up to smile and insure eye contact, "just sometimes the names are changed...for instance...I was not traipsing around Vorzyd V with twin Twi'lek's last year...that was Devlin Tarvick...lucky devil."

@Teyla Ee'everwest

"I don't have to remind you that I am wearing a blaster, right?" Teyla said, the slightest hint of a smirk pulling up the right corner of her lips, rolling her eyes and shaking her head. It wasn't meant as an actual threat, and oddly found herself playing into some of the humor. He had charm, she'd give him that. Along with arrogance, ego, and more.

She did find him interesting too, however.... a very mixed set of emotion about him, but mostly hate. Or at least a very strong, strong, dislike.

That aside, being able to get this small peek into what sort of life Baros lead, may hopefully shed some light on more than just an outside glance...if she played her cards right, then she'd be getting more than just shadowed glimpses before he was able to leave Coruscant. "Sounds like you have some connections." Teyla pointed out, still trying to keep her own motives covered. "How's that coming along? Almost finished?"

@Teyla Ee'everwest

Baros leaned forwards a little. His eyes narrowed and he pursed his lips for just a moment. "Let's dispense with the pleasantries shall we Miss Ee'everwest," he said with a glint in his eye, "I know you moonlight...and I know that an organization like the CSF would not look kindly upon me. I will assume the blaster comment was an attempt at humour and not use that as leverage as well."

Leaning back, he smiled. "I will not be filling out anymore documentation. I will not allow myself to be submitted to any more screening. You will leave this room and find the documentation that is already in the system and you will get me through," his smile grew just a little broader, "I will even through in something to sweeten the deal for you. I have some gowns that would truly flatter your physique...not that it needs much help...or perhaps you would be more inclined to access the connections that you think I have. Perhaps instead of getting a smudge on your surely pristine record, you will end up with a badge of honour."

Standing, Baros dusted off his clothing a little and straightened his suit jacket. "I'll stand. I am sure you will not be to long."

She knew Baros was an arrogant ass, but this? This just took the whole damn cake. Inwardly seething, Teyla perched her chin on top of her palm, and looked over Baros. "Sit down, Sal-Soren." she instructed, making a point of not asking, voice firm. He wanted to get down to business and do away with pleasantries? He's on. "You think you're pretty clever, don't you?" Removing a small, flat, holo from her pocket, Teyla waved it in front of Baros. "Half the people here are waiting for their own passports to get through. In real life, you don't just jump the line." She stood up and circled around to Baros, standing with arms crossed around her chest.

"We have procedure, protocol." Now a smile came onto her own face, a smirky grin. "Lucky for you, your passport was waiting for pick up." Making him fill out the documentation had been a cruel, ridiculous way to get revenge, but satisfying anyway. "I don't want your dresses, I don't care about your clothing line. Now, the press? They care. The people care. I have documentation saying you are using slave labour for your clothing line." She circled back to a chair opposite of Baros, sitting and lowering her voice. "Your reputation would take a hit if that kind of information was leaked. And that would be just terrible for business, especially for someone like yourself." Teyla paused, making eye contact with the Corellian. "If I can trust you to keep your word, we won't have a problem. I have your pass to freedom. In exchange, you're going to help me solve a murder."

Baros did not flinch for a second. He simply tilted his head a little and allowed his smile to slowly drift from his face. A hardness came over his visage that Teyla had likely not seen until now. "Real life? Aren't you aware that I am living my dream, Miss Ee'everwest?" He stated matter-of-factly, "you are welcome to join me...would beat talking to people like me about technicalities like this."

"Oh, and I will stand, thanks," he added sternly.

Baros looked up and over her head, he could do that and he was going to be sure she knew that, before looking at her again. "Here you go talking procedure and protocol...with what I know about you, and your weapons based humor..."

He shut his mouth though. It seemed the hole she was digging herself was more impressive than any he could dig for herself. "You will do well to note that you have never heard of my family...yet my father had dinner at your Deputy Directors house last month. They are sabaac buddies. Several senators owe my family favours...two of them owe multiple favours or at least one really big one. You may have never heard the family name until you met me...but trust me that is only because your rank has not yet deemed it necessary to know the name. So if you..."

Baros stepped a little closer to Teyla, now smiling and so tempted to brush that lose hair from her face just to prove a point.

"...threaten me again, especially with something that I can use against you ultimately, you will be cleaning gum from under the park benches in Coruscant's slums faster than you can say...'CSF agent guilty of bribery'."

OK, now he couldn't resist. He brushed the hair away. Creepy? No, he was showing control of the situation.

"I will help you with the murder mystery because I want too. It sounds fun!" He said giving her a playful slap on the shoulder.

@Teyla Ee'everwest

Teyla grit her teeth and felt she was biting so hard on her tongue, that it might just come off. Baros approached looking over her, standing tall... maybe as a way to show his superiority over her, or a tact of intimidation? In response, Teyla steeled her spine, remained in rigid stance, and locked both veridian eyes on Baros, burning holes through him with a challenging gaze, but inwardly realizing the mistake she'd made, and how little of this man she really knew. "This is all just a game to you, isn't it?" she asked with a cant of her head, not expecting an answer, and resisting the urge to lash out at him in frustration.

A tense filled breath released off her lips, his fingers brushing away a stray hair. Not an act of tender affection, but of control. Was that what bothered her most about him? Someone she couldn't control? She, who always preferred order, structure...control. Teyla briefly mused on the thought until he slapped her shoulder playfully. One minute she feelt like she was sinking six feet under, and the next he was playfully accepting to help in a murder investigation? "You're unbelievable you know that? But for just a brief minute, I actually thought you had a shred of human decency earlier." Teyla sighed out the rest of her irritation, smacking Baros chest with his passports. "Don't get too excited Mr Sal-Soren, this is a criminal investigation with a dead body, of someone you might know." Getting out from under Baros shadow, Teyla began rummaging up her belongings, gave a passive glance back to Baros and nodded him toward the door. "You're free to leave. See you at the CSF Department, 0800 tomorrow."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom