Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Conflictions

Lori used to have a lot of lessons about politics and diplomacy from Dorthea Dobson Dorthea Dobson . That is until Dorthea figured that she was good enough to handle herself. And it was funny to think that at the start Lori didn't even trust her. But that was because of the Dobson family. Yet it wasn't her fault as to what family she was born into, and after a while Lori understood that bloodlines don't make a person who they are. Their actions do.

So Dorthea's position was propelled higher. And when the idea of Damascus Station was even proposed, there was no better person to be in charge of it than Dorthea. At least in Lori's mind. There was no opposition to block Dorthea from becoming the Chief Director either. Thankfully.

However now Lori needed to meet up with her for a few things. Number one was about the rebranding of her cumpany. Number two was about the cultists on board the station. And number three was more personal. It was about Var-Sulis Var-Sulis . Dorthea might not of seen them dancing together at the expo, but others did. And no doubt they'd of reported it to her. Not so much that there was anything wrong with it, but moreso for keeping tabs on her.

Lori knocked on the door of her office. "Dorthea? It's Lori. Are you in there?"

Arla stood by her side, ever silent until she found the need to be vocal. She was always on watch.

Dorthea Dobson

Chief Director of Damascus Station
“…so if you’re gonna keep padding this order the way that you have been, I think it’s time we cancelled your contract! Dar’Manda Industries will be building the entirety of the new star destroyers in house from now on!” Dorthea was yelling into her desk-comm. Suddenly there was a knock at the door, and Loreena Arenais-Valhoun Loreena Arenais-Valhoun could be heard on the other side. Dorthea’s face bloomed into a predatory grin and she leered at the little hologram of a man in front of her, “looks like I’ll be talking to my boss about that right away. Goodbye, and I hope you go bankrupt…” she mashed the button on her comm and the image disappeared.

Suddenly, the darkness on her face lifted as though it was never there in the first place and she was beaming with glibness, “common in Lori! My office is always open to you!” She chimed loudly so that she could be heard.

Dorthea Dobson Dorthea Dobson 's yelling could clearly be heard. Lori for sure didn't want to be on the other end of that call....

And then the call was over, with Dorthea allowing her entry.

Lori opened the door and stepped inside with Arla in tow. She gave Dorthea a small smile, rather curious as to what was happening before she had arrived. "Everything alright? Of course there was plenty for Dorthea to deal with, given her position. However Lori was sure that she flourished in it all and did much better in a high stress environment than a low one.

"I just thought that I'd come by to get your advice on something."

Dorthea Dobson

Loreena Arenais-Valhoun Loreena Arenais-Valhoun entered her office and asked Dorthea if everything was alright. Dorthea replied, “oh I was just talking to one of our contractors we tried to employ for the construction of the new star destroyer models. Honestly, some of the contractors are doing alright, and the station is benefiting from the smaller businesses gaining market share, but some of them are… part of the old guard. Dorthea shot Lori a surreptitious look of “you know who”, referring to her father, Arken Dobson Arken Dobson . Apparently, some of Arken’s old friends were still kicking around causing trouble… “they still seem to weasel themselves into large projects, but they’re getting easier all the time to root out. At this point, I don’t even need to call in the ‘big guns’ anymore, but I will need you to sign a cancellation contract later, when you got a second.” She didn’t bother to explain what the “big guns” were, but moved on, “now, what can I do for you?”

"I just thought that I'd come by to get your advice on something."

Dorthea thought for just a hair of a second on Lori’s words, and then an enormous grin exploded on her face in sheer amusement, “boy troubles?”

Ah yes. Not only the change of the company's name did Dorthea Dobson Dorthea Dobson have to deal with, but the change in Dobson influence and partnership too. With many of the Dobsons rumoured to have execution orders placed on them, they had to sever ties. However with business it wasn't so easy. Especially when it involves the military. "Sure, I have a bit of spare time at the moment." Having that spare time allowed her to be at Dorthea's office right now.

For advice.

And Dorthea hit the nail on the head as to what advice that was. Lori found herself a chair and plopped down onto it. "Yes....How much do you know outside of the rumours that I've been told? They consist of my marriage being on the rocks. It's kind of embarrassing to travel outside of our territory and be approached about it by other people. Some even offer escape plans...."

Dorthea Dobson

Irritation clouded Dorthea’s mind for just a second before she managed to shove it down and bury it. She wasn’t a woman known for her patience, but she spared as much as she could for her friends. Loreena Arenais-Valhoun Loreena Arenais-Valhoun was on the top of that very short list.

Dorthea didn’t really know a whole lot about rumours regarding the royal family of the elysium empire, but that was because the rumour mill on that topic had little-to-no credibility to begin with. People had their opinions on politics for their own single-minded reasons, and sadly that could affect certain relationships from time ti time. But this seemed off…

Dorthea calmly intertwined her fingers and set her hands on the desk in front of her and gave Lori a stern look as she said, “Now. Before we can proceed much further, I will remind you that I am not a therapist; I am your friend. So I won’t be beating around the bush too much. So I’m gonna call you out right away here.

“No one in this room thinks that you care what anybody else thinks, including you. You were the face of an entire rebellion for crying out loud! The words of some opinionated vigilantes is not something that concerns the likes of Loreena Arenais-Valhoun, the Lion Queen of the Elysium Empire. So, please. Tell me what’s actually bugging you.”

Lori slowly nodded her head as Dorthea Dobson Dorthea Dobson started. She never really knew the woman to beat around the bush at anything except for when they had first met. Yet after that there was a high level of respect between the two and Lori always appreciated her honesty.

Of course some of the rumours weren't told to her by vigilanties, but by her friends. Her own brother knew little on the subject, yet he had respected her decisions and supported her.

But then as Dorthea had guessed, the rumours didn't quite bother so much as the pickle that she was in did.

"What bothers me is....well...Rex and I are so distant. He jumps if I touch him, as though he is scared of it. We're barely around eachother except for maybe political functions. But I'm just arm candy at that point. He doesn't listen to what I say, instead only agreeing with what I say if someone else backs me up. So it's frustrating to try to get this to work. And yes, I know that I signed up for it, but I thought that he'd come around by now..." Lori sighed a little and took a moment as she wasn't yet done. "And then there's Var. He's got feelings for me and there is a connection there, but I'm not about to run off and have an affair....Not anytime soon anyways. Rex is getting darker and more aggressive. I worry that I'll end up having to become the face of another rebellion."

Dorthea Dobson

Dorthea nodded thoughtfully at everything Loreena Arenais-Valhoun Loreena Arenais-Valhoun said as she was speaking. Dorthea’s mind was carefully dissecting everything that Lori told her, and compartmentalizing each bit of information into a specific category, and folding them together to get a clear picture. Naturally, when Lori was finished speaking, there were missing pieces, but with careful consideration, Dorthea was figuring out which questions she needed to ask.

Based on her current information, Dorthea was finally able to offer a final nod and begin her own response, “ok, ok. It sounds like you’re feeling a little guilty about your obvious feelings for Var-Sulis Var-Sulis . It’s understandable, he’s insanely good looking,” Dorthea grinned her predatory amusement, and continued, “And you think that you will be held accountable for violating your agreement with Rex and Heath. You also thought that perhaps you might get something else from Heath that is more than just a political arrangement. In fact, it’s probably fair to say that things are going in the opposite direction that you were hoping it would.”

Dorthea sat back in her chair to punctuate her next statement for emphasis, “you don’t have to feel guilty for any of your feelings here. If you recall our tutoring sessions, you know that every deal in the history of deal making can be renegotiated. You just have to know three things: what you want, what it could cost, and what you’re willing to give. What happens next is up to your commitment and creativity.

“so let’s ask these questions. What do you want from Rex, what would it cost you, and what are you willing to do? Something else that you have to consider is whether or not Rex actually has what you want. Do you have a way to find out? Also, why haven’t you just leapt into the loving arms of Captain ‘Knows How to Wear That Shirt’? Is there something that Rex gives you that you’ll lose if you choose Var?”

Lori gave Dorthea Dobson Dorthea Dobson a small smile as she mentioned Var-Sulis Var-Sulis being good looking. He was. But then others were too, like Rex, her twin brother, etc.

But yes, things were going in the opposite direction that she had wanted them to. It wasn't fair and she tried to change it, but so far her efforts had been in vain.

And Dorthea was right. Every deal can be negotiated. Even marriages. But just that fact alone didn't make things any easier. What she had gotten from this one so far was a purpose and moreso than just being an owner of a huge company or Queen of a single planet. She was elevated higher to a status of that of her parents.

Lori took in a deep breath and let it out slowly as she contemplated the answers to Dorthea's questions. "What I want from Rex is a marriage like what my parents had; both strong and loving. But he can't even bare to have me touch him. We haven't kissed or hugged or even so much as slept in the same room together. I liked being around him, he boosted my confidence for a time, but I don't think he is capable of being loving or showing affection.

As far as just flatout choosing Var, I haven't because I am married. But he's just so attentive and caring, and I would hope that he's patient. He knows that it's complicated for me. Yet despite that he wants to join Arla as my personal bodyguard so that he can watch over me. Choosing Var would have me lose my place in Elysium and lose some of my ability to do great things. If I run away then I might be on the run all the time. That's not a good way to live."

Dorthea Dobson

“Well, neither is being unloved,” Dorthea countered. But she didn’t give Lori room to argue just yet, and pressed on, “so if we break down your options, we have two scenarios. One option gives you power, but starves you of essential emotional nourishment and takes you for granted. In short, he doesn’t deserve to have you. The other gives you an abundance of emotional support and strives to deserve you, but at the cost of your power, your honour as a spouse, and the people that count on you. With your parents, they seemed to be able to give each other the best of both worlds. But your own situation is very different in that you must choose what’s more important to you. And you, in particular, need both things. It’s simply not fair to live without one or the other.”

Dorthea had a thought, but she needed to address something else first, “I have a possible plan of action, but I have to ask this first; how is Var, anyways? I didn’t get all the details, but I know that him and Rex had it out. I hope for both your sakes he’s alright.”

Being unloved. Dorthea Dobson Dorthea Dobson parroted what others have told her. That a loveless marriage wasn't what she deserved or should have.

Her observations were correct in how she broke it all down, expressing things in words that Lori couldn't come up with to describe how she felt. It was completely unfair. It was totally unfair. Yet it was the hand that she was dealt with.

Lori's eyebrows rose as Dorthea asked how Var was doing. So word had gotten out about that too. But perhaps that wasn't too hard to figure out given how loud they were. "He's recovering. It probably would have been worse if I didn't walk in. I had to make Rex stand down by force." That wasn't fun. But she couldn't let him kill either. Not when no harm had been done to her, nor any offence. She wasn't sleeping around. But more than likely Rex felt too threatened with just the thought of it.

Dorthea Dobson

“That’s horrible. Rex is starting to get way out of control. You were right to stop him. I’ll make sure resources are redirected towards Var’s medical treatments using some of my own contacts. He’ll be well taken care of.”

Dorthea let out a huge sigh and she gathered her remaining thoughts. What she said next could potentially cause Loreena Arenais-Valhoun Loreena Arenais-Valhoun to leave the Elysium Empire, but Dorthea cared more about Lori’s well-being than the state of the galaxy. Lori was right. She could do a lot of good in the galaxy as a Queen on the arm of a looming tyrant. And Var-Sulis Var-Sulis simply didn’t have the resources to provide Lori with that opportunity. But Lori was a person of heart, and had needs of her own. And that heart could be more powerful than people expect. Dorthea had learned many time now that Lori was not to be underestimated, but Lori needed to see that potential for herself.

In truth, Dorthea felt that Lori relied way too much on the empire. It was a crutch that kept Lori from running or flying as she should. Rex was doing things to keep her down, and all that potential was being wasted. Perhaps Var-Sulis Var-Sulis couldn’t give her power over the galaxy, but a good man like that might just be strong enough to give Lori power over herself. And realize her true potential.

But Dorthea wouldn’t tell this young woman what to think. She was strong and needed to see that for herself. So Dorthea spoke as such, “the way I see it, you have two ways to approach this. You can figure out the men, or you can figure out yourself.

“In the former option, you can have the two men perform some kind of test to see if they have it in them to acquire what they are missing. With Var, you need to see that he has the ability to give you power to change the galaxy to your will. With Rex, you need to see if he is capable of nourishing your emotional needs and respecting you. But I honestly think that if you look at their histories, the answer is already written. Rex is a survivor that, when rescued, was able to discovered personal advancement through his adoptive father, and by his arranged marriage to you. Survivalism teaches one to look after themselves at the expense of others, and advancement feeds into greed. He may enjoy having you, but you only exist to serve those needs. You can leverage that for your own need for power, but you have to be that kind of person that can do that.

“Then, there is Var, the complete opposite of Rex. He is all heart and love, through-and-through. Everything he does is to save the ones he loves, fight the enemies that he hates, and stay close to those that he deems dear to his heart. In fact, it has been speculated that if you ceased to be, so would he. He’s fixated on you, which could point to a sense of dependency, but every relationship has drawbacks. At least in his case, he belongs to you on a deeper, more fulfilling level. But he doesn’t have the strength to give you nearly any power. You will be forced to be the strong one in the relationship and it’s possible he might see your need for power as a distraction from him. In summary, he might try to hold you back to protect his own heart. Not that he wants you to be unhappy, but you might have to overpower him at some point if you pursue him.

“So, you can test them if you like, but I doubt that you’ll be surprised by the results. But that is just an option.”
Dorthea shrugged.

“Which brings us to our second option; Figuring out what Loreena Arenais-Valhoun Loreena Arenais-Valhoun wants. To give you some context for this, I’ll give you a statistic; did you know that only about 10% of human marriages are formed out of love? That’s, right. Just ten. You would think it would be higher than that, given how much stock humans and other beings put in the concept of love, but on a galactic scale, it just isn’t the case. There are so bloody many reasons to get hitched it’ll make your skin crawl. Sometimes it’s political, religious, social, financial… honestly, with so many millions of galactic cultures in the scene, it’s amazing that love is as high as it is. Now, I’m not trying dissuade you from choosing love over power, but I am illustrating the fact that you should never be made to feel guilty for pursuing whatever makes you happy. But you have to look deep within yourself and shamelessly find out what all women in their early twenties must do; who are you, and what do you want?”

Last edited:
Rex was indeed getting out of control. And she had to find some way to stop him. Given that she was his wife, wasn't it her responsibility?? But he didn't really listen to her at the best of times, let alone at the worst. He was almost as stubborn as she was.

"Thank you. I just worry that Rex might try to finish the job...." The fight between those two was surely causing a wedge between them.

But that didn't really matter as Lori herself was conflicted between the two. As Dorthea Dobson Dorthea Dobson lay out her thoughts, Lori brought her knees up to her chest and wrapped her arms around them. What was written on her face was clearly that of someone deep in thought and weighing her options. She was torn between the two.

Lori listened as Dorthea gave reason to every option. There was the suggestion of a test for both to complete. Of course she didn't want them to duel over her. It would have to be something more than that. Perhaps it could be tasks for them to complete, each one different from the other. Each one could either see if Rex or Var were capable of being what she needed.

It was strange to think that someone could be so attached to her like Var apparently was. However what Dorthea was saying about Var keeping close was accurate. He was doing that more and more. He was wanting to protect her, yet shew knew deep down that there was more to it than that.

"Who am I? More than just Goofball Lori, and I'm not a child either. I want....I want to not have to worry about being considered as less than someone else. That's what most people do."

Dorthea Dobson

Dorthea offered a half-grimace, half-smile, and said, “well, in order to establish your own value over others, you have to first try to stop defining yourself by what everyone else wants from you. Maybe your best option is to get away from the boys for a while? Do some soul searching?”

She just shrugged and shook he left head. Dorthea had done her best to try and offer Loreena Arenais-Valhoun Loreena Arenais-Valhoun some insight to help her come to a decision on her own, and had even tested her resolve with some contradictions to see where Lori would sway. But the sheer amount of information that was offered seemed to need time to digest.

Dorthea decided to move on, “before we forget, can I get you to sign off on this cancellation contract?” She keyed her datapad to call up the contract, and then slid it over to Lori.

Lori didn't give a good enough answer. That's what she got out of it. Of course she knew her answer was pretty vague, but she had no idea how to respond to what seemed to be a simple question. It wasn't simple. It was fully waited with her fate in it's hands.

"I don't want to go off by myself, Dorthea. I'm on my own a lot, I've been on my own a lot. I don't think that anymore alone time would help. Why else do you think that I've been staying here instead of on my little ship or out at the palace on Spindle IV?" And there it was. Part of the answer that would take her away from her current position. The Eclipse Rebellion used her for their rebellion, and Heath used the arranged marriage to bolster his own family's status and for her company. But weren't all arranged marriages like that?

Ugh it was so terribly frustrating. Now she had to figure out the consequences and steps moving forward for each choice. There was no acting on a whim for this one.

Lori's thoughts were broken as Dorthea Dobson Dorthea Dobson slid her the datapad. "Yeah, sure..." She glanced over the cancellation contract before signing off on it. "Is it just the one?"

Dorthea Dobson

“Um…” Dorthea said as she rubbed the back of her neck sheepishly, “well if you really wanted, I could have you here signing documents all day,” she laughed awkwardly. There was always a megaton of documents to finalize, but she normally got Arla to sign them if they weren’t a rush. Arla had the power to sign documents as a proxy for Lori, and the strange rigid woman seemed to never sleep. Arla still gave Dorthea the creeps, but Dorthea would be damned of she wasn’t extremely efficient at whatever she did.

She then had a thought. Watching the struggle in Lori’s eyes as she was grinding her thoughts into what could be near burnout bothered Dorthea, and a weird… maternal instinct kicked in. It angled her thoughts into a compassionate shade that rarely ever took root in her. Suddenly she was speaking before she could stop herself, “Listen. Just my own perspective here, I look at you and I think you need to change your approach. You crave connection, love, and power all in one. But you keep attaching yourself to causes that want to use you up and put you on display. You lose in that scenario because they always give you the illusion of power and leave you high and dry in the end. Maybe you need to choose the power of love over the power of change for once. If I were you, I’d grab Var-Sulis Var-Sulis , drag him to Damascus Station, and spend some time with him here. And for his little test, convince him to take a job working for the company. I promise you, if I manage him, I will manage the test out of him!” She burst out laughing. But she knew that Var needed to gain power of his own to become the man Lori needed. If he cared for her enough, he would go to incredible lengths to accomplish this. If this was true, then Dorthea could find his motivation extremely useful. He could prove himself to her, make himself more capable, and benefit the station.

Dorthea cringed inwardly. She hoped this suggestion didn’t come on too strong.

Loreena Arenais-Valhoun Loreena Arenais-Valhoun

Lori joined in the laughter. Humour gave her comfort, always. Sometimes it was the only thing that got her through, no matter how childish that may be.

She listened intently as Dorthea Dobson Dorthea Dobson gave her thoughts. The older woman was echoing some of what Var had told her, and her brother. So there had to be a lot of truth in their collective wisdom. It was the Mandalorian way; to seek council from the vod before big decisions that could affect far more than one's self. Some habits were hard to break and this was one of them.

Lori got to her feet once Dorthea was finished and rounded her desk before wrapping her arms tightly around the woman. She held onto her for a while as she spoke. "That's a wonderful idea. And if Rex doesn't approve....well it doesn't matter. It's my company. I can do what I want with it. I own the majority of this station too. So he can't boss me around here either. This is my haven, my little kingdom, right? Only I'm not the face of it. All the businesses and citizens are."

She lwt her go then and held her gaze. "Thank you for the idea and the pep talk. You're an amazing friend." And she loved her. Once the execution order on Dobsons went out, Lori swore to protect her and Viken. And she has so far been able to keep her word. So far. That was another reason why she kept on the station; to watch over them.

Dorthea Dobson

“Eeeeeek!” Was all Dorthea could manage, as a psychotic mandalorian warrior bypassed her only barricade (her desk) and assaulted poor Dorthea with a restrictive subduction maneuver. Dorthea could do nothing to prevent the assailant from making physical contact with her, so she simply went rigid and widened her eyes as the Lori’s collarbone pressed the side of Dorthea’s head into an awkward angle. Dorthea simply blinked bewildered confusion for a moment before she could snake one arm out from under her attacker, half-wrap it around Lori as best she could, and pat her somewhere on the back. “I’m happy to help.” She uttered with a muffled voice.

She held onto her for a while as she spoke. "That's a wonderful idea. And if Rex doesn't approve....well it doesn't matter. It's my company. I can do what I want with it. I own the majority of this station too. So he can't boss me around here either. This is my haven, my little kingdom, right? Only I'm not the face of it. All the businesses and citizens are."

Dorthea had a thought on that and grinned in spite of the awkward position her head was in. She muffled her voice into Lori’s shoulder, “Maybe it’s time someone else was the face of your operation? I don’t know if you noticed this or not, but that Var-Sulis Var-Sulis is still insanely good looking…”

She lwt her go then and held her gaze. "Thank you for the idea and the pep talk. You're an amazing friend."

As Loreena Arenais-Valhoun Loreena Arenais-Valhoun released her hold on Dorthea, Dorthea swayed back and forth a moment like a bottle settling onto a table. But she couldn’t help herself from grinning and shaking her head. Lori was a weird one, but she was Dorthea’s weird friend, to be sure. She wouldn’t trade Lori for the universe. “I’m always here, Lori,” then she smirked mockingly, “I have to be. You pay me!” She laughed at herself.

“Is there anything else I can help you with?”

Last edited:
The stiffness of Dorthea Dobson Dorthea Dobson 's body let her know that she was uncomfortable with the hug, but Lori didn't really care. She knew that the Dobsons weren't the most affectionate of people, so this was probably the most that she was going to get.

And it was enough for her.

Of course Lori knew that Var was good looking. It was hard not to notice that. However the idea of making him the face of Dar'manda Industries didn't sit well with her yet. Afterall, that could be taken as her using him in the same manner that she had been used by other people. And she didn't want that. So Lori resigned herself to think about it, at the very least. "We'll see how he is when he recovers.. "

Lori couldn't help but laugh at Dorthea's little quip. Yes, she was paying her, however they both knew that Dorthea stuck around for more reasons than that. But it wasn't as though it needed mentioning.

"I think that's about it. For now. I can't predict how this will all turn out. It's a little scary, in a way."

Dorthea Dobson

Of course Lori knew that Var was good looking. It was hard not to notice that. However the idea of making him the face of Dar'manda Industries didn't sit well with her yet. Afterall, that could be taken as her using him in the same manner that she had been used by other people. And she didn't want that. So Lori resigned herself to think about it, at the very least. "We'll see how he is when he recovers.. "

Dorthea grinned and winked before replying, “I’m just kidding. Mostly. He has skills, but fitting him into the company will be… interesting. I’ll be interviewing him when I get a chance.”

“I assure you, we will do everything in our power to take the best care of Var we possibly can. I have a… couple of new contacts that are interested in public affairs of late. They’ve been growing influence on the station and have been instrumental in getting cultural affairs under control, albeit, through… religious persuasion. I’ll drop Var’s name with them and see what they say. They might take an interest. They are hard to predict though…”

Dorthea wasn’t too sure what to think of the new “prophets” from Nar Shaddaa, but they were actually rather strangely helpful. Funny ducks, those two, but they had helped reduce crime and tension on the station considerably in the past few weeks since the expo. They might be drawn towards helping another “lost soul” if Dorthea pitched it right to them…

“Make sure you get your rest, Lori. Don’t burn out on me. I need you. We all do.”

Loreena Arenais-Valhoun Loreena Arenais-Valhoun

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom