Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Compound Bow / Auto-Draw Quiver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bow
a96670c3320c7c7607e0e47c120d55e4.jpg
Quiver
44af287cc5b659f40c8d065bfe1bd1c9.jpg
Image Source: Deviantart
(Both are purple)

Intent: To give Val a powerful weapon capable of brief combat with lightsabers if ever it is required
Development Thread: Phrik
Manufacturer: Merr-Sonn Munitions, Inc.
Model: Compound Bow & Quiver
Affiliation: Valashu Bonkai
Modularity: N/A
Production: Unique
Material: Phrik-Aluminum

Classification: Compound Bow
Size: Handheld
Length:
•Bow - 0.78 m
•Quiver - 35.56 cm
Weight:
•Bow - 2 kg
•Quiver - 6.35 kg
Draw Length: 0.6 m
Draw Weight: 49.8 kg
Ammunition Type: Arrows
Ammunition Capacity: 30 Arrows
Effective Range: 36.5 - 54.8 m
Rate of Fire: Single to Triple Shot

Special Features:
•Lightsaber Resistant
•Foldable
•Arrow Dispersal

Description:
The bow and quiver are crafted with highly refined Phrikite ore combined with Aluminum alloys, making them capable of being used in the fashion that is required of Val - potential close quarters combat! Thanks to his style of "bow fighting", he has lost many an intricate piece; no longer, thanks to the durability of his newest tool. That being said, his bow cannot withstand repeated blows - it is a weapon to be used as such as a last possible outcome. And though he will not use the quiver in actual combat, it to is highly durable thanks to the shared mineral!

Capable of high distance range, powerful punching capabilities, and able to be folded into thirds to attach to ones belt, the bow is a highly versatile and useful item. Even with his Ysanna style telekinetic control, little effort is required to move the arrow at high speeds, thanks to the draw weight being so high, which also correlates with the distance each arrow can be fired with accuracy.

The quiver also has a functioning advantage, with a single thought, a signal is transmitted from a chip located in his brain to a platform in the casing, which drops down lower to allow a arrow to slide in place, before launching upward - the end result is an arrow lightly shot from the quiver. This makes notching the next, that much swifter!

Netherworld

RESEARCH REVIEW

Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review

Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review

WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review

WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review

SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

Netherworld

[member="Matreya"]

Alright. I love me a good bow, but this one has a number of issues. Let's try to work them out, and see if we can't get this approved. :)

Matreya said:
Material: Phrik

Matreya said:
Bow - 7 kg
  • Two issues I see with this combination. First off, having the whole thing made of phrik will probably make it nearly impossible to draw. Phrik, aside from being lightsaber-resistant, is also extremely durable in general. This suggests that it would be a very poor material for a bow, as those require high tensile strength. You don't see bows made out of metal for a good reason.
  • The second would be that phrik is also extremely light. At the size you have this bow at, you'd be hard pressed to make it 7 kg. Bows of similar size will weigh between 1.5 and 2 kg, usually.
  • My suggestion here would be to use something else as the base material, and only have it phrik-coated in select parts that might come in contact with the saber. Also, lower the weight significantly.

Matreya said:
Draw Weight: 83.9 kg
  • I hope you meant pounds here, and not kilograms. If it was the former, then simply edit it to 40 kg and this should be fine.
  • IF you actually meant for that to be in kg (185 lbs, for reference), we have a much bigger problem. People who trained with bows all their lives and shot other people in wars using longbows were recorded to go up to about 120 lbs, thereabouts. Now, keep in mind that this was insanely exhausting and literally required a lifetime of training to do. What you'd have here is nearly 50% more, which is simply put impossible.
  • Clarify what you meant here, and we'll work from there.

Matreya said:
Rate of Fire: Single to Triple Shot
  • Could you explain how the triple shot works?

Matreya said:
The quiver also has a functioning advantage, with a single thought, a signal is transmitted from a chip located in his brain to a small hand in the casing - the end result is an arrow lightly shot from the quiver. This makes notching the next, that much swifter!
  • This also requires some elaboration. What sort of "hand" are you referring to?

Tag me with questions/edits. :)

English Longbow are estimated to have, during war times, been capable of 200 lbf, which is approximately what I wanted - draw weight and distance of a longbow, with the accuracy and ease of a compound bow.

Present days have also seen upwards of 180 lbf draw weight with ease, including shooting extremely large arrows.

I have about a half dozen other sites with references to 180+ lbf if its needed :). I will edit the details presently.

[member="Netherworld"]

I edited.

Wasn't sure if the editing for triple shot should go into the edits though so I will say them here:

These are trick shots; in times when he needs to hit more then one target, he may fire up to three. Each can also be guided through the Force for better accuracy!

Anything else needed my little green friend?[member="Netherworld"]

Netherworld

[member="Matreya"]

I wouldn't call anything close to 180 lb "with ease".

There are a couple of issues with your cherry-picked numbers:
  • As mentioned above, longbowmen trained from birth to be able to use warbows with such enormous draw weights.
  • Longbows are drastically different from compound bows both in function as well as in construction. You may not equate one to the other.
  • Longbows are also used and drawn much differently than a compound bow.
Again, you can't just take estimated stats from one and glue them onto the other. It doesn't work that way.

Modern compound bows can go up to 100 / 120 lb with heavily modified or custom arms, and you really don't need more than that for whatever you'd need it for.

The rest of the edits are fine, but we'll need to settle the draw weight issue before I can stamp this.

Well, honestly the need for it to be compound isn't there, I just like the appearance. So will change it to a longbow. In regards to the since birth, I have actually stated that since his earliest memories he has held a bow. Plus, he has one thing most men then didn't have (I imagine) - the Force.

So, say I change it to longbow, how does 150 lbf sound? Taking into consideration it is a universe vastly ahead of our own, and that my character has trained its use as long as he can remember, AND is also not just human (bearing enhanced strength etc), is it then acceptable?

[member="Netherworld"]

Netherworld

[member="Matreya"]

Sure, a longbow works, but keep in mind that you'll have to change its size significantly to achieve a draw weight of 150 lbs.
Think, oh, about 1.7 m at the lowest. My guess would be around 2 m, if not more, for the draw weight you're aiming for.

Also keep in mind that with a longbow, there's no let-off, so holding it at full draw is nearly impossible.

Certainly, there's the Force to consider, but your guy would still be exerting himself for no reason. 100 lbs compound would do the same job much more easily, and with a far lesser tax on the character's strength, physique, general health, and Force reserves.

After quick reading over accuracy+range of a compound bow, I'm surprised I didn't see the info earlier! It legitametly is able to shoot 75% as far, with better accuracy then the average long. So, i will keep it compound, and lower to 110 lbf.

But everything else I believe is edited as requested!

[member="Netherworld"]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom