Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Come to Jesus | Ariel Yvarro

Renata Westaway

R
UczVkYh.png
The lobby of Governance Row was bustling, as was usual for this time of the morning. Bureaucrats and officials arrived for their workdays, briefcases in hand, coats over their arms, or still worn, sometimes stopping at the newsagents or the coffee cart for a morning pick-me-up. Freda St. George was sorely tempted to pop over to the coffee cart and get herself a banana muffin and flirt with the little old man who owned the cart. It was such a boost to the self-esteem, after all, but no -- she had a mission. Her banana muffin would come after the mission was complete.

She kept her eyes peeled towards the door while trying to look like she didn't have her eyes peeled towards the door. She sat with a copy of the Avalonia Chronicle-Tribune (a Camden Media Group publication) held so that she could see what was happening at the entrance, and still look like she was reading it. Her orders were to watch for Ariel Yvarro and to alert Moff Westaway when Yvarro was in the building so that Renata could intercept her.

Apparently, there was some kind of reckoning to be had. It was too bad that Freda wouldn't be there to see it. Renata had insisted that the conversation be private so that she could voice her concerns in a way that was not intended to expose or embarrass anyone. Freda supposed that was the way to do things; keep the public rows in the toolbox in case escalation was required down the road. She was noodling over this potential escalation when she spotted the Galidraani woman. She lifted her comlink to her mouth and whispered, "The mynock has landed."

A moment later, Renata's gravelly voice came across the channel. "What?"

"Ariel Yvarro is here."

"Then say that. Freda, you might be enjoying this too much. I'm dreading it."

"As long as one of us is having fun," Freda said with a smirk. "I think she's stopping at the coffee cart."

"Double-click the com when she's on her way up," Renata ordered. "No more of this mynock business."

"Yes, ma'am," said Freda with a sigh. She continued her stakeout, and when Ariel Yvarro made her way to the turbolift and stairs area, she double-clicked the comlink. The rest was up to Renata, who was moving to lay in wait.

Ariel Yvarro

A
Ariel was finally back on Avalonia and after so much travel she was glad for it. The young Moff didn't live too far from Governance Row and typically walked to work and today was no different, the sounds of the markets not too far away, the speeders honking their horns and the overall noise of traffic, people talking, and vendors setting up shop while others were already selling their goods. She had ensured her uniform was good and pressed and picked up a copy of the Avalonia Chronicle-Tribue along with the latest edition of Tomorrow, and of course the Thames Chronicle and with the three periodicals under her arm, she found herself looking out for her favorite street vendor.
A Chalactan woman who worked one corner of Kerkov Square before one had the choice of turning toward the rest of Downton or pressing on toward Governance Row. Kareena Vyas, who made the best naan this side of the Fortuna River, or at least Ariel thought so. A line was starting to form and Ariel didn't want to chance to be in the back of it. Patiently she waited and leaned over to get a look at the woman and her family who helped to run the stall. The aroma of char-striped smoked bacon, accompanied by the sound of eggs being whisked and ladled over a hot griddle, masala baked beans being crafted in another pot, only added to the hunger pangs that Ariel felt. These three items were only part of what Vyas boasted as the "Big Chalactan" breakfast on the go.
She recognized Ariel as soon as the young woman stepped up to order. "Where have you been? I was starting to worry, there were a big festival and lots of magazines but none of you."
"I was called away but I promise I'm back now and I shan't be leaving anytime soon."
"Good, good," Vyas acknowledged as her son rang up the order and Ariel handed him a few crisp bills and told him to keep the change. The Big Chalactan also included grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, cream cheese, and a tomato chili jam and peppery Pelhamshire bangers. All of it stuffed into a light puffy naan, and Ariel always got hers with a side of hashbrown sticks.
In fact, she was more than halfway through her breakfast as she strode into Governance Row. Careful not to spill a single bit of onto the floor, Ariel stopped a moment at the coffee cart to grab caf and some napkins. Whilst waiting for freshly brewed caf, the young woman tossed the wrapper in which the Big Chalactan had come into a waste bin. Hashbrown sticks, and caf - Ariel was all set for the day or so she had thought whilst completely unaware of the approaching ambush.
The young woman approached the lift as she gingerly nursed sips of caf in between bites of the hashbrown sticks. The three periodicals still in their place under her arm, all completely smashed by this point with how tightly she'd been holding them. Ariel had only stepped out of the lift and tossed the hashbrown sticks wrapper into the bin and started to take the periodicals out with the cup of caf in one hand. Only to be whisked rather swiftly (violently, Ariel might add) into a conference room. This started her so much she juggled the caf and the papers only to lose her caf to the floor as the door to a private conference room shut.

Renata Westaway

R
Renata had had no intention of yanking Ariel Yvarro into the conference room, but she acted on pure impulse and frankly, it was literally beyond her ability to control herself. The important thing was that Ariel was in the room now, and as Renata regained control of her body and mind, she had the presence of mind to summon a janitor droid to take care of the mess. "Forgive me," Renata said stiffly. "I thought I saw Terrix coming up the hallway and needed to speak to you privately before he did."

A panel opened in the wall near the floor and the janitor droid whizzed out, slurping up the spilled caf and buffing the floor to a shine. Renata, meanwhile, went to the sideboard and poured Ariel another cup of caf. "Sit down," Renata said, placing the cup down in front of one of the chairs. The conference room was small, for huddles of up to four. Renata took the chair opposite and opened her portfolio before her, containing the results of her research into the Prebsfelt affair.

"Welcome back," Renata said, folding her hands over her documents. "Safe journey?"

Ariel Yvarro

A
Ariel was still attempting to process what was happening and did as told if only because she was still dazed and confused. "It's uh, it's alright," she replied and watched with vigor as the caf was poured into the cup. Her hands wrapped around the cup and she pulled it close to her chest. The sweet, caffeinated nectar of the Force. Ariel inhaled deeply and exhaled, all had not been lost but as she looked up at Renata... Ariel suddenly felt as if she'd been pulled into the principal's office and began to get nervous.
She felt warmer and uncomfortably so, she meekly answered, "yes?" Questionably, she was uncertain as to what was going on and then looked at the documents in Renata's hand. "Uh, you uh, needed to talk to me... privately?" Once more she inquired and this time her tone matched her appearance. The younger of the two nursed the caf and was grateful for it as she gathered herself together and wondered just what this could be about as it hadn't quite occurred to Ariel that she had done anything wrong, at all.

Renata Westaway

R
"I did, yes," Renata said. She unclasped her hands, then changed her mind and clasped them again as she leaned forward, then changed her mind again and steepled her fingers. She frowned and chewed the inside of her cheek minutely as she considered her options. All plans she had had for the conversation went out the window when she had had the irresistible impulse to manhandle the young woman into her office. She cleared her throat once, then again, and took a sip of the water sitting next to her on the desk. "Moff Yvarro," she began. "When I was offered this position, I was under the impression that this was going to be something of a team effort, a joint partnership between you and I and Terrix and whoever else came to the Moff Council during our time together."

She paused and sat back, placing her hands flat on the desk as she steadied herself. When she spoke again, her voice was clearer and her tone determined, but polite and friendly. "I have been... concerned," she said. "Concerned about the lack of transparency you have employed in recent weeks. Concerned, frankly, that you might have been in danger and we had no way to know about it. And, since I've had a chance to review the First Order's fleet communications as it regards the excursion to Presfbelt IV, concerned about that as well."

Renata brushed a golden brown hair from her forehead, tucking it behind her ear. "I'm not here to make a federal case out of anything," said Moff Westaway. "And I'm certainly not accusing you of anything. I guess what I'm looking for is some kind of explanation, and some assurances that this," at this she gestured broadly, as if to encapsulate the entire building, "truly is an open and transparent team of equals." Renata inclined her head; suddenly her neck felt tense. "And, listen. You owe me nothing. If you want me to mind my own business, go ahead and say so and we'll go from there."

Ariel Yvarro

A
Ariel sat there like a schoolgirl being lectured by the principal and for all intents and purposes, she might as well have. She watched Renata and how she fidgeted and seemed to try to find a way to put the words as she did, even so, Ariel's nervousness went away when the situation came up. Sitting up straight in her seat she held her head high and had her shoulders square. "My apologies then, I never meant to cause any harm with regards to my disappearance but I assure you it will all be for the better." Better, as in they would once more have a Supreme Leader and it was that knowledge that let Ariel carry on with confidence.
"We are indeed in a partnership and I can certainly see and understand where your concerns are with regards to Prefsbelt." It was a stretch, to say the least, to have whatever little forces the First Order could muster march all the way down to Prefsbelt and back. "I assure you that it will not happen again." Mostly because either the Sith Empire's Moff Lowe would die or because she would once again prove her allegiances so fickle wherein her life might be of concern. "My family had put a great deal forward for the people under the care of the so-called Grand Moff Lowe, there hadn't been time even for a quick holo."
A look from the outside and Ariel could gather why it rose some concerns. "It was two-fold and I'm sure you can gather from the communications the extent of it."
She took a sip of her caf and savored the taste of it before she pressed forward. "As for my disappearance... Moff Westaway, I."
Ariel's face shifted, contorted as she tried to find the words on the emotions. "I became rather unsure of myself and what I was doing here, and I hadn't ... I didn't know what to do." Ariel knew about as much of Renata as files told her but the young woman's interactions with the older Moff had only been that. Sure they talked when necessary about governance but nothing personal or further. "So I went to Qeravert IV and sought ... well, I sought help and that help led me across the galaxy."
"Including that appointment, I may have mentioned that I had with Chancellor Tagge."
She took a long drink of her caf and then set it down.
"And while I was gone I learned a bit about myself and..."
Oh no. Ariel had to stop herself, "uh, uh..."
Oh no.
Words were stopping.
"I."
"So there was..."
Ariel's cheeks puffed and she exhaled as she wanted to tell Renata everything that had happened but she wasn't so sure that this was an appropriate time, but then she supposed there was no other time to tell her what exactly went down - before the woman herself arrived.

Renata Westaway

R
Renata leaned back in her chair and studied Ariel, her eyes narrowing slightly. "No one would want any harm to come to the people of Presfbelt IV, but whatever responsibility we may feel towards former citizens of the First Order, surely our responsibility to the people here -- now -- out there far outweighs the comparative handful of people who had chosen to make their lives elsewhere." Renata softened a little, her jaw relaxing a little. "Nothing happened," she conceded. "A little posturing. A little saber-rattling. But the point is that we can only control what we do -- if the Sith Imperials or the New Imperials had decided to start shooting, we would have serious consequences beyond whatever would have happened to the people at Presfbelt IV."

She lifted her hand to rub her forehead. "Speaking of those people," Renata went on. "Do we have a final figure on how many people there are? We'll have to find the money somewhere to feed and house them, to say nothing of the reintegration process." The older woman lowered her hand and rose, moving over to pour herself a cup of caf, too. As she did, she listened to Ariel's meandering explanation until she chugged to a half. Renata let the silence hang between them as she added sweetener to her caf. She would touch back with her on Chancellor Tagge, but the way Ariel hesitated tickled Renata's spidey sense.

A moment later, she sat back down and examined Ariel closely. "There was... what?"

Ariel Yvarro

Ariel Yvarro

A
Ariel took it on the chin and agreed with Renata all the way, one hundred and ten percent! They had their own people to be concerned for nevertheless to mount a silly effort halfway across the galaxy and into a war zone no less. She watched as Renata's jaw softened and whatever nerves she had felt began to dissipate at least until the woman caught the scent of blood in the water. "There was a lot that had happened while I was out and I haven't been nearly as honest as I had hoped, as I did go home to Galidraan for a spell."
"I visited my cousin's tomb, to try and perhaps regain the focus that I had lost and it was, and ... Moff Westaway, well you are absolutely right."
She took a deep breath and gathered herself, Ariel exhaled and pushed forward hoping that her momentary lapse in stupidity had been over, at least, for now. "And as far as the money to house and feed all these people, we will definitely find a way, in fact. I have reached out, well, not me per say but my sister has reached out to John Locke of Locke and Key Mechanics, and I have sought out my cousin's old friend, Valessia Creed so here's to hoping that she can gather a few leads for us as well."
"Oh, and there is one other thing while I was away I did meet a woman who I believe can help us with our money issues, her name is Lady Kassandra Distorith... I was able to talk to her and gather some funding for Laurentia."
Ariel paused a moment to think as she got to her feet and held the cup of caf in one hand. "We can place our Prefsbelt brethren there, for the time being."
"So there was that, yes, that completely."
The woman lied, she completely skipped over any thought of divulging to Renata Westaway that Natasi Josephine Fortan was well on her way to Dosuun and would most certainly shake a lot of what had just been said, up. Everything would be reworked and they would work for Natasi and not themselves, and while Ariel was sure there would be hell to pay, she preferred to pay it later rather than sooner. Although if she were honest she'd rather owe it than pay it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Renata Westaway

R
Renata frowned and studied Ariel.

The younger woman wasn't telling the truth. Or at least, not the whole truth.

Pregnant? Renata wondered. Perhaps that was why she had been carrying a bunch of magazines. Or no longer pregnant? That would be quite a scandal in Galidraani circles, from what I can tell. She stroked her chin thoughtfully, her eyes narrowing slightly before she sat back, apparently satisfied by Ariel's explanations. "Very well," said Renata. "I am sorry to grill you in this way. Perhaps it's not my place. I remember back in the day we had a Grand Moff and a hierarchy so everyone knew who should be doing what. Perhaps we ought to consider dividing responsibilities vertically so we aren't tripping over ourselves or, God forbid, issuing contradictory instructions."

She folded her portfolio and made a note to have Ariel's story checked out as far as it could be.

"And listen," said Renata gently -- or as gently as her gruff voice could get, "We're all new to this. We're all coping with the responsibilities of leadership. I was a department head before this... several rungs below the Cabinet. So I understand suddenly having more responsibility and authority." She smiled kindly at the younger woman, hoping she was coming across as supportive and not condescending. "I want to be a resource to you. You can call on me any time."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom