Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Codex & Factory Patch Notes 4.2

UFkHd.gif

Over the last few months, the Factory and Codex staff have been working together to streamline and clear up some oversights from the previous update. The Factory has also streamlined a few items that were confusing and we are hoping that clears it up. The following lists notable changes that are effective immediately:

Restricted Materials added:

• Force Nexus [Locations, Planets, & Items] (( Embark on a quest to locate / create and research the Nexus in question. The larger and more powerful the Nexus, the more unique writers should be involved in the process. There is no set post limit, though you should tell a complete story. ))

• Alchemized Artifacts/Items [including methods of Force Imbuement, Alkahest, Jal Shey, etc] that provide lightsaber resistance and/or Major Force benefits (( Embark on a quest to research, locate and recover or create the alchemized, Force Imbued, Force artifact/item in question. There is no set post limit, though you should tell a complete story.))

Workshops & Companies

With the new RM's in place, the following have been added as Company and workshop boons:

Note: At Tier VI, a Workshop may choose one Restricted Material (specifically beskar, phrik, cortosis, songsteel, Echani graphite, ionite, Pyronium, & Alchemy/Force Imbuement) to add to its Specialty list. The Workshop is exempt from RM objectives for that material at a Semi-Unique (Only A Handful of Characters) production level in the Technology forum only.

Updated rules for Planets and Nexus:

1. Custom planets may only be added to map hexes containing 2 or less planets (we allow a maximum of 3 planets per hex) using the Map Update Thread.

2. Planets requesting to be added to grids with 3 or more planets already occupying that grid will be asked to move or be denied. Previously existing entries are grandfathered in.

7. Members wishing to submit a Force Nexus to their planet must undertake the Force Nexus mission on the Restricted Materials list. Force Nexus Location submissions must have an adequate explanation of the Nexus effects and reasonable OOC intent. Completing the mission does not guarantee your Nexus will be approved if the intent or description is lacking.

4. Members wishing to submit a Force Nexus location must undertake the Force Nexus mission on the Restricted Materials list. Force Nexus Location submissions must have an adequate explanation of the Nexus effects and reasonable OOC intent. Completing the mission does not guarantee your Nexus will be approved if the intent or description is lacking.

Updated Armor Template

This has been made to be as streamlined as starships. Hopefully, this new template makes it easier to document resistances, strengths, and weaknesses. This will also go into effect with the Material & Substance Template.
  • Resistances (For each category choose from: None, Very Low, Low, Average, High, Very High, Extreme Ratings of High, Very High, and Extreme will need to be added as strengths with elaboration.)
- Blasters (And other plasma type weapons): How much protection does the armor provide against this type of damage?
- Kinetic: How much protection does the armor provide against this type of damage?
- Lightsabers: How much protection does the armor provide against this type of damage?
- Other: How much protection does the armor provide against this type of damage? (Examples: Sonic, EMP/ION, Elemental. Please disclose each specific type that applies to this submission with its own rating.)

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION

• Intent: (Example: 'A personal weapon for Darth Scabious' or 'an advanced armored personnel carrier for the Republic')
  • Image Source: (Please link to where you found the image, or to the original artist if possible. TinEye or Google Image Search can help.)
  • Canon Link: (Please link the canon link if applicable canon item.)
  • Restricted Missions: (If your submission uses any Restricted Items link the threads you completed the missions in here)
  • Primary Source: (Please link and cite the sources which you are modifying for your use in your submission.)
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: (Kuat Drive Yards, BlasTech Industries, [Character Name], etc.)
  • Model: (Example: E-11 Blaster Rifle. For submissions where a model wouldn't be appropriate, such as a custom walking stick, put 'N/A' for 'Not Applicable'.)
  • Affiliation: (Individual Character Name (an individual PC/NPC who is permitted to use this item), Company Name(s) (Companies authorised to use this submission), Faction Name(s) (Factions authorised to use this submission, Closed-Market (Any character can use this if they have explicit permission through, for example, a marketplace purchase), Open-Market (May be used by any character without permission from the Manufacturer), other potential options include a submitted NPC unit, or another general organisation/group.)
  • Modularity: (Can components of this submission be swapped out for other components? Is it especially easy to modify? For most submissions, put 'No'.)
  • Production: (The scale is Unique (Only One Character), Semi-Unique (Only A Handful of Characters), Limited (Only A Select Group Of NPCs/PCs), Minor (Any Character, Only Select Groups Of NPCs), Mass-Produced. (Anyone.) For armor utilizing restricted materials please review their production limits here.)
  • Material: (What is it made out of? Certain materials are more resistant, or vulnerable, to certain weapons. Example: 'Durasteel, blaster components.')
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: (Anti-Blaster, Anti-Ballistic, Multipurpose, Other)
  • Weight: (Via Metric System. Appropriate weight varies by quality, material, and character species. For example, standard Mandalorian armor is around 10 kg. Armor made of true Mandalorian iron, or a full set of combat gear for a soldier in the field, can be around 25kg. For special items, try to find the weight of a real-world equivalent.)
  • Resistances (For each category choose from: None, Very Low, Low, Average, High, Very High, Extreme Ratings of High, Very High, and Extreme will need to be added as strengths with elaboration.)
- Blasters (And other plasma type weapons): How much protection does the armor provide against this type of damage?
- Kinetic: How much protection does the armor provide against this type of damage?
- Lightsabers: How much protection does the armor provide against this type of damage?
- Other: How much protection does the armor provide against this type of damage? (Examples: Sonic, EMP/ION, Elemental. Please disclose each specific type that applies to this submission with its own rating.)

SPECIAL FEATURES
  • (Short brief detail list on any advanced systems with a respective link to the technology if available. What are the types of advanced systems that this armor has? This includes stealth, Bio-restorative technology, power armor, Force Enhancements, Alchemy Enhancements, Force Imbuement enhancements, or any similar or equivalent Force or technologies that may be rare or specialized. - If these are notable enough to be strengths, you must add them to strengths)
Strengths:
  • (Provide, in list format, a minimum of 1 strength of this submission. Any resistance ratings of High, Very High, and Extreme will need to be added as strengths with elaboration.)
Weaknesses:
  • (Provide, in list format, a minimum of 1 weaknesses of this submission.)(If your armour is vulnerable to specific types of attack (e.g. Ion/EMP/Lightsabers) please list these here)
DESCRIPTION
(Describe some of the histories behind the submission. Give us some idea of how it might perform its function, what it excels against and what some limitations of it are. This is where you talk about your idea, flesh it out over at least a good-sized paragraph, and address some of the ways it might be used or abused. For especially powerful or ambitious submissions, a very thorough description is recommended.)

New Company Modification Template:

Company: (What company is being changed?) (Also, link the company submission here.)

Modification Made: (What are you changing? If you are merging companies, we need the submission link for those companies. Detail all changes here. Every additional new Location & Operation or Headquarters change requested through the Company Modification Thread will require proof of expansion. Add in the FULL name of the thread. These are required for all Tier up requests, HQ's changes, New Locations, New Operations, Changing Operations, merging of companies, etc. For full details, please see the Company Rules or as in the Factory Q&A.] - )

Tier Up: What level are your tiering up to and add in the appropriate Tier Up Template
Adding Operations: If you are adding an operation, list the operation and the expansion thread.
Adding Locations: If you are adding a location, list the location and the expansion thread.
Changing Headquarters: If you are changing headquarters, list the new HQ location and the expansion thread.
Other: Any other changes and if required, the appropriate expansion thread.

Rationale: (Why are you doing this?)

New Submission:
[Please spoiler the full modified submission here.]

Vehicles
  • Speed and Armament ratings are now Mandatory.

Reverse Engineering Guidelines added

Reverse Engineering Guidelines

Any player may reverse engineer submissions where there is evidence that these were previously owned by/ manufactured for them. This is to distinguish submissions whose intent is the reverse engineering from an available approved Factory submission.

1. A Faction or Individual may reverse engineer or create a new submission for items where there is evidence that these were previously owned by/manufactured for the new submitter.
  2. The original submission must be referenced and properly cited for reverse engineering.
  3. The new submission must adhere to current Factory standards.
  4. Complete a Reverse Engineering Mission Objective: Embark on a quest to research, modify, and prototype the Reversed Engineering Item in question. There is no set post limit, though you should tell a complete story.

[member="Cira"]

You guys really work hard, it's quite nice to have you guys working behind the scenes... hopefully this will make everything nice and easy to judge.

The *only* question I feel worth asking in advance is on the subject of the alchemized/imbued items. Would these new RM's be similar to beskar, phrik, and cortosis (which don't require a completed RM mission at 'unique' if i remember correctly), or would their RM missions be mandatory like Ultrachrome or Void stone?

I'm sure it'll be fine either way, and I'd be willing to guess it falls under the latter, however I do feel it worth asking before any complications or confusion can settle in.

For Force Alchemy and Force Imbuement Items -- If the item is lightsaber resistant or if there are major Force benefits to the submission in question, it will require an RM mission.

It is the difference between a necklace that allows you to see in the dark vs an item that grants you several Force bonuses.

The more you stuff into your alchemy /force imbue item for your submission to do, then you are crossing a major Force artifact line.

Cira said:
Adding Locations: If you are adding a location, list the location and the expansion thread.

[member="Cira"]

Am I correct in assuming that a separate expansion thread is required for each new location?

Does this not place an undue burden on people who want to expand their company without having to do what essentially amounts to a dev thread each time? Not everyone has the time or the desire to write ten posts about setting up a factory each time they need to expand.

[member="Feeto Chivaro"]

An expansion mission for every additional location has been a requirement before 4.0 and after. This isn't a new requirement.

Expansion threads are used to increase in tier; setting up a new location is one of them.

Cira said:
Alchemized Artifacts/Items [including methods of Force Imbuement, Alkahest, Jal Shey, etc] that provide lightsaber resistance and/or Major Force benefits (( Embark on a quest to research, locate and recover or create the alchemized, Force Imbued, Force artifact/item in question. There is no set post limit, though you should tell a complete story.))
Does this include all sithspawn?

At this point we are very nearly back to the original state of the Factory/Codex. With the exception of ship dimensions (thank God) there's a demand for a reskinned development thread in every area.

I get that the company game requires effort. But. A thread for every location?

Force Nexuses are restricted? What happened to Balance?

Why are we basically bringing back development threads, can we please come up with something that doesn't punish the player base and prevents them from actually doing what they came here to do? We are all creative enough to come up with characters and stories, but we can't make an alternative to jumping through unnecessary hoops? Come on guys.

Restricted Materials: If you're in the major faction that has the planet in it's cloud, you can use it at unique. Not in that faction? Trade IC for it or steal it.

Nexuses: At this point we can take the cookie cutter approach. Anything that doesn't act like the Coruscant Jedi Temple is a no-no. No going super Saiyan when you walk into it. No being felt systems away. No having stupid affects on the landscape. Just a spot where the Force is heavy. If that's not OP or something that a Judge can base a sub easily on, I don't know what else to say.

Alchemy: Pull a Lightsaber and make it so alchemy can only be used to make Unique production items. From there it lines up with unique Beskar subs. And then judge on balance. Hell, make it so that it needs a weakness beyond Force Light and Space Lizards to pass.

Bottom line, can we please stop preventing people from actually writing and get creative with solutions? Otherwise in a few months the next patch will be a full on regression I'm sure. I believe in most of you guys, and y'all haven't let me down yet. C'mon. Let's be creative here.

Darth Metus said:
At this point we are very nearly back to the original state of the Factory/Codex.
This is something that resonates with me.

The entire idea of 4.0 was to do away with dev threads. Restricted material missions were kept in place out of fear of abuse. But now it seems like every time something pops up that gets a little bit too much use, they are simply added to the RM list... which doesn't seem to be jive with the concept of eliminating the amount of busywork done.

Replacing 'do ten posts of dev' to get your toys with 'do this mission' to get your toys is really not a change at all in my opinion.

Hi. As someone who has never gotten far in the company game of Chaos but always wanted to these new restrictions have completely ruined any desire to. I barely post as it is, and to get into the fun that I see people having with companies will now take all of my attention instead of spreading it out between different threads.

I was informed that there are more high tier companies then I expected, but its still a rather small number compared to the ammount of writers on the board. Its complicated, and complicated is bad for getting new people interested.

My 2 credits.

I read this and immediately went "Okay, repackaged dev threads."

I'll be honest, I don't have a lot of stock in this, since I don't use the factory/codex really. Like the removal of dev threads, I'm pretty neutral either way. Do what you gotta do.

But it is a step *backward* from no dev. And if that's what the idea is, that's fine. But if it's not, then calling something a 'mission' thread isn't any different than a 'dev' thread as far as the actual point goes.

Feeto Chivaro said:
Am I correct in assuming that a separate expansion thread is required for each new location? Does this not place an undue burden on people who want to expand their company without having to do what essentially amounts to a dev thread each time? Not everyone has the time or the desire to write ten posts about setting up a factory each time they need to expand.

While this rule has always been in place, I agree with [member="Feeto Chivaro"]. Especially since frankly the number of locations a company has is just fluff. Having a ton of locations on different planets doesn't enable you to produce more ships or other stuff. Hell, you don't even need to have an outpost on a restricted materiel planet in order to manufacture items using said materiel.

Your location is only really relevant if you find yourself in the territory of a major faction you have IC conflict with...but then the only time that's been of import ICly was during Operation Weedkiller and when the Republic embarked on a short-lived Communist experiment.

There's tier 6 companies with a dozen locations, but also those with far less. I may rub off some locations from Firemane's list simply because I've only actually made use of a fraction of them ICly. Sure, one can find ways to make expansion threads interesting beyond the standard 'I watch my drones build a factory and then inspect it' formula...but that applies to every type of dev thread, and we mostly got rid of those a while ago.

As for the alchemy question, just judge it on balance. If an item is broken, having a lot of dev posts won't make it any less overpowered or cause less reports about the way it is used in PvP situations. You can already sub a Class 10 phrik armour without dev as long as it's unique. The alchemy stuff I sub is just unique or semi-unique anyway, since mass produced alchemical toys seem...weird to me. Far as I can tell, the judgement system has worked quite well so far in that regard.

Atlas Kane

A
Reviewing a sub and judging it based on balance and quality has always been the best way to keep things from being abused, imo. I'm very much for removing dev threads, as it cuts down on the amount of busy work necessary to have those cool items and trinkets that enhance the roleplaying experience. Further adding restricted materials and "missions" to do seems like just adding more and more dev, rather than reducing it.

Sanya Val Lerium

Neutral, Queen of Her people, Neko
I'd rather just have dev threads where the story was based around the creation or using it. These restrict"ing" missions are and I will say it no good and no fun.

My advice. If the rm's are gonna become a heavy thing the instead of going, "ohh how about this scenario." and discuss it for the potential thirty mins before the conversation goes side ways. Try actually just doing it first as a test run and think humm was this story interesting?
Can it be flexible?
Does it relate to the purposes of the material.
Then ask a us lot hey this is our idea what are your thoughts.

List why there are pros to the change and also the cons

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom