Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Cloak of Deception

"Keep your friends close but your enemies closer, Miss Tin'dara. I don't trust you in the slightest."

Judah wasn't particularly worried about being killed in the first few days of her recovery. Afterwards? Maybe. However, after her stunt at the Gala, Judah thought it wise to keep a closer eye on her since it their paths crossed once again.

"Of course we do. In the interim I will have Miss Datos bring you something to wear. I'll make sure she provides a few articles of clothing in the guest flat as well as some initial foodstuffs."

"Judging by your pained expression, a day of sitting on the couch watching holodrmas may be in order."

Judah pulled out his comm, typing a quick note to his assistant to bring clothing for the Togruta.

"Anything else?"

"Elevated to enemy. Am I your nemesis now, I wonder?"

Azula managed to keep a little of the mask as she mused out loud. Clearly she wasn't. More of a confusing person who crossed Judah's path occasionally in frustrating ways.

She slumped where she was, the mask slipping a little. The pain came in waves. The drugs didn't shield her from it completely, but made it bearable.

"I don't need anything else," she said quietly, "You've done more than you needed to or should have."

She glanced up at him, meeting his gaze square on.

"You can't trust me, but I won't cause you any trouble. I want to say that anyway."

"I hope it does stay that way, Miss Tin'dara. I'll be in touch."

Judah suspected Miss Tin'dara didn't want him underfoot for long. Considering a painful recovery, small doses of his annoyance on her end was probably prudent to begin with. If he needed to check further in on Miss Tin'dara he would give it a few days or ask Mrs.Datos for her opinions on the status of the Togruta.

True to his word, he gave it a few days before gracing Miss Tin'dara with his presence. Judah hadn't seen her around despite living on the same level in the massive space station. However, he had a business to run and Tin'dara had a recovery to undertake. Mrs.Datos had informed him she had provided clothing and some basic foodstuffs so she wouldn't have to wander far. If it was himself recovering in a massive flat, he'd probably be holed up ignoring the world as well.

It was early morning - the lights of the space station were meant to reflect that of nearby Tabaqui. Maintenance and gardening staff were out in the residential areas, tending to the various massive potted plants or cleaning the massive expanse of viewports along the corridors. Judah had taken the day off but had still woken early, heading down to the residential level gym for awhile during the less busy periods.

Walking along the corridor, he stopped at her door on the way back. Knuckled rapped on the door until he remembered the chime and pressed a button on the side. If she had been alseep, Miss Tin'dara would at least be disturbed now.

Within hours of getting the room and access to the Holonet, Azula had found her secret accounts razed to the ground. Whoever had ratted her out to the bosses had come with the tools to undo her planning. There were two physical caches of credit chits, but they would make excellent traps.

She wasn't just back to square one; she was broke, out of resources and she had a powerful faction tracking her down. She tried to look forwards, not backwards, but the situation was grim.

There was a knocking at the door, followed by the bell.

"Give me a moment!" She called out. A short while passed before she opened the door, having clearly thrown on a loose tunic and comfortable baggy trousers.

"Judah," she said, seeming slightly surprised. "Want to come in?" She asked.

Seemed odd to her to ask, given it was his station. Still, she wouldn't mind a brief interlude of sensible conversation.

"Please."

He entered the flat and it appeared Miss Tin'dara had settled in. Part of him had been concerned she'd dig in her heels and live on her vessel or something similar.

"You look better, less pale and pained. How are you feeling? Are you finding the station to your liking?"

She had settled in a little too well. A pile of blankets and crumbs and snacks on the large sofa. Azula offered a shrug as she cleared it, but didn't look embarrassed.

"I'm feeling much better, thank you," she said. The words came out a little forced. She was feeling too tired to lie convincingly.

"The apartment is more than I needed or deserved. I'm afraid I haven't seen much of the station yet," she added.

Not because she could not walk far, but because she had been busy wallowing.

"It's not that exciting,just your average space station."

Judah didn't make a move to sit. Being sweaty it probably wasn't wise to begin with. Secondly he didnt plan on staying too long.

"I came to ask if you would be interested in breakfast? I'm a halfway decent cook and it's probably better than a bunch of packaged snacks."

"What do you say? Experts say it's the most important meal of the day after all."

Azula looked down at the detritus left by packaged snacks. She felt a flash of embarrassment, which she logically assumed was a good sign. At least she still cared that much.

"The most important meal?"

She managed a thin smile and a shake of her head. Judah was a curiosity. She could have picked out another patsy to follow her to the terminal she meant to slice. She had chosen to keep Judah talking.

"Yeah... I wouldn't mind that," she replied. "I will take a sonic. You have been for a run?" She asked, glancing down at the dark patches of his tunic.

"A little bit, some weight lifting as well. Didn't hit the sonics after the gym because a naked owner mingling where employees also tread just seems like a recipe for a lawsuit. Either way, I have to keep up my dad strength."

Judah looked completely serious even as he mentioned 'dad strength' without missing a beat.

"Take your time, it will give me a few minutes to debate between two different dishes. Just pop over when you're ready, I'll leave the door unlocked."

He left Miss Tin'dara to get ready. The breakfast had two purposes - one, he was trying to be a proper host. Two, maybe more of the puzzle pieces of the Togrutas life would fall into place. It was still quite the mystery to him how she even got entangled with the Hutts.

"Have you keep up your dad strength?" She asked rhetorically. Her tone was droll, but her lips betrayed her by threatening a smile.

As he turned, she noted the width of his shoulders. She had seen him rush into battle beside his security force and she knew he'd seen war. He clearly did more than just running to keep in shape.

As mental counterpoint, she reminded herself that most large company owners were about six foot tall, human and male. Even if he was apparently mostly self made.

"If you can manage jokes at this time of the morning, you can manage to say 'Azula'," she called after him.

Her door closed, she glanced down at the blanket on the sofa. She wondered how large a shower of crumbs would be sent into the air of she shook it.

She decided that was a question for later in the day. Azula had a long sonic and then dressed in some clothes acceptable for the outside world.

Ignoring the fact that he had mentioned the unlocked door, she chose to knock.

"Come in Miss Tin'dara."

After taking a quick sonic, changing into a pair of trousers and a basic button down shirt rolled back to the elbows. A bit formal, but on a day off it wasn't unusual to have someone stop by unannounced with a question or last minute issue. Once he had got himself presentable Judah had found himself in the mix of three different tasks before the Togruta stopped by.

Galactic news played on the holovision, allowing him to prep at the kitchen island and face the screen. Ingredients were already scattered about as he chopped away at some bits of fruit. Head turned to see if the woman was making her way in. Steps seemed steady, less measured. Judah took it as a sign that the healing process was coming along nicely - he could only imagine the pain on the core muscles as one walked.

"Miss Tin'dara, have any trouble finding the place?"

Small smile slipped through, lips twitched in amusement.

"Please take a seat, couch or I've got some countertop stools. Caf?Juice?"

"I am only going to accept these jokes for so long whilst being called Miss Tin'dara," she said, giving another shake of her head.

Azula was still smiling. It had been a rough week and she appreciated any attempt to lighten her mood. She also didn't really mind the rolled up sleeves. Odd that a smart shirt and a bit of forearm and post workout shoulders caused more of a distraction than his previous formal wear.

None of that truly deflected from a creeping finger of suspicion at the invitation.

Everyone wanted something. He'd offered to bail her out of her problems before. Perhaps he had need of a corporate espionage division and saw an opportunity. A self-made man like this had to see such things clearly.

Azula pulled across a stool and sat at the counter where she could see what he was doing. Being more upright also made her feel more alert after days forming an Azula shaped shadow in the blanket pile.

"Juice would be nice, thank you. You keep this morning routine most days?"

Judah slid a glass of dark blue juice over to the Togruta as she sat at the counter taking in his preparations.

"Yes and no. Getting up early and heading down to the gym or some type of activity if I'm not here, yes. Breakfast,no. It's typically caf and some type of porridge like substance. Very boring, so today is a nice exception."

Rag came to wipe down the counter, catching stray juice and bits from cutting up fruits. He'd have to move on to the next step in a moment.

"You look nice today. More like the Togruta that was busy charming old men of their money at a Gala. It's refreshing to see."

Another small smile.

"What are you plans after this Miss Tin'dara? Or you haven't thought that far?"

Judah was curious more than anything. Considering the trauma she had just been through he doubted any next moves were on her mind.

"Offer still stands you know, if you want to disappear."

"I don't have a plan," she admitted. To him and to herself.

She knew that she would eventually come up with something. Azula had survived this long by being resourceful. She had convinced an entire academy that she was a Jedi Master for three years.

Like the Togruta that had been charming old men. She was a little like that person. She had learned to be different people at a young age, but when the original Azula Tindara had taken her life from her she had lost herself in the masks.

"Why? What do you get out of it?"

Judah had finished wiping the counter and had grabbed the ingredients for the main dish, a muffin pan curiously joining the crowd despite no flour or grain in sight. He listened to her one-line explanation and follow up question. All perfectly valid concerns. Judah knew for a fact if the positions were swapped he would be highly suspicious of any words or promises coming in his direction.

Work stopped on breakfast and he leaned across the kitchen counter, facing her.

"Not much. I think you're stuck in a cycle of pushing the boulder up the hill, just reaching the top, and falling back down all over again. Rinse, wash, and repeat. In all reality, escape or change in this situation is next to impossible. A depressing fact, but one I think is true."

A small pause.

"I think the real Azula Tin'dara has talent, if you'd stop stifling her. Highly intelligent,beautiful, and determined. Not something one finds out in the 'verse every day. I'm offering because I hate wasted talent, wasted potential. Especially if there is a resource or ability that could help facilitate such a blossoming of potential."

"You've been lying to yourself so much at this point you don't even know where to turn. You could have chose any medical facility on your route here, there were a few. Yet, despite your words to the contrary, something keeps drawing you here. Our paths have crossed one too many times."

Ocean blue eyes met her for a long moment before breaking the silence.

"What do I know though? I'm just some old man dumb enough to continue to plod on in the 'rim."

"Not much. I think you're stuck in a cycle of pushing the boulder up the hill, just reaching the top, and falling back down all over again. Rinse, wash, and repeat. In all reality, escape or change in this situation is next to impossible. A depressing fact, but one I think is true."

It irritated her to have him assess the situation accurately. What was worse, was that it showed. A flash of annoyance before she recomposed herself . It was too late to try and convey that such observations were both wide of the mark and had no impact on her, but she tried anyway.

"I think the real Azula Tin'dara has talent, if you'd stop stifling her. Highly intelligent, beautiful, and determined. Not something one finds out in the 'verse every day. I'm offering because I hate wasted talent, wasted potential. Especially if there is a resource or ability that could help facilitate such a blossoming of potential."

She didn't know how to react to his explanation. He looked at her and she held his gaze until he had finished. She did not know how to feel about it either. She looked back down at the counter.

In a way, it felt nice to be recognised without someone using leverage to take advantage of what they saw. One person had made her feel like that and he had died in her arms.

"The real me? Just a Nar Shaddaa orphan who had to be a little quicker than everyone else not to die," she protested. Part of her hated this. Part of her had - as she started losing blood - made the decision to come here.

Judah was a little surprised by his own exasperation when speaking to Azula. He had already admitted to himself to that he had a bit of a schoolboy crush on her. There had been intentions to ask her to dinner at the Gala but the entire 'heist' had put him off. Not that he didn't understand, he did quite well.

He had a business and reputation to keep. Fun and personal feelings were far down on the list.

"Ah, just an orphan making her way in the galaxy. Got it."

Judah wasn't sure what to even bother replying with, so he didn't. It was like talking to himself at this point.

Instead he focused on the task in front of him : puff pastry baked eggs. The thin dough wasn't going to make itself into cups into the muffin pan.

"Any plans for the day Miss Tin'dara?"

She hunched forwards over the counter. Judah was offered nothing but silence for a few seconds.

Somehow, the subtle change in his demeanour struck her harder than any insight into her own life.

After being suspecious if his proposed charity, it felt worse when it seemed like he retracted the offer because of her attitude.

"Sorry," she said. "You're actually, genuinely being nice and trying to talk to me about...all this. And I'm being a queen about it."

She stretched her arms out straight on the counter in front of her. Then she drew herself to sitting upright again.

"In my weak defence I did get shot the other say, but...yeah...sorry. I will think about what you said.

"And no. No plans. Think I might be up for a short walk if you can recommend anything."

"I guess I should apologize as well. You have no idea if I'm a serial killer. I'm not, which is definitely something a serial killer would say."

Judah thought for sure she would have mulled it over in the seven months. However,he suspected that Tin'dara thought she pulled off her illusion and was winning against the Hutts.

Eggs were cracked into the pastry cups and the entire pab was slid into the oven.

"There's a nice garden a few levels up before you reach the entertainment sector. Some parks and spaces all throughout this residential block as well. Might have to go up or down a couple levels."

Stool was drug in his side so he could sit, no reason to stand around.

"If gardens aren't your thing, wandering around aimlessly is always a choice."

"I guess I should apologize as well. You have no idea if I'm a serial killer. I'm not, which is definitely something a serial killer would say."

"I know that much," she said, smirking.

"If I'd know more about you I would not have tried the Jedi Master routine on you before," she admitted. Azula had thought it would have been enough to get past his underlings. She hadn't expected to be sat opposite the owner of the station.

"I didn't expect you leading you people from the front," she added quietly. Azula let that note of respect ring out.

She wasn't going to open up, but she wanted him to know that she didn't hold him in such low regard. She was still surprised that he went out of his way for her, after what she had done so far.

"I spent years pretending to be a Jedi Master on Kashyyk," she admitted. "Coming from Nar Shaddaa, I appreciated the greenery. Show me these gardens after breakfast?" she asked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom